Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   "A Very Potter Musical" (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=122481)

Sahara June 25th, 2009 2:03 am

Re: Harry Potter the Musical? Watch it or Not?

^ I reccomend everyone to watch that- it's hilariously witty and amazing!

It made me realize that HP as a musical can only work if it's done in a comedic way. I think it would be way awkward for a HP musical if it tried to take itself seriously whilst everyone sang and danced. :lol:

superduperboard June 25th, 2009 3:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara (Post 5338894)
It made me realize that HP as a musical can only work if it's done in a comedic way. I think it would be way awkward for a HP musical if it tried to take itself seriously whilst everyone sang and danced. :lol:

:lol: that is soo funny, i and i totally agree with you, and here is the link where you can watch it all the way through with out having to click anywhere else Here

magic_is_might June 25th, 2009 4:03 am

It is great for all true HP fans :D I greatly enjoyed it and was laughing through it. It's not an "official" musical but feels as good as any. The actors , as HP fans, made it very enjoyable and all the inside jokes were very well done. I highly recommend it.

skullangel June 25th, 2009 11:49 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnIllusion (Post 5338890)
If anybody wants to see what a Harry Potter musical might look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JnQuMyzPfE

That's just the first part of part one, but the rest are available on YouTube.

This is pretty good!...

Admittedly I havent seen high school musical... but why doesnt it remind me of it?

skrewtmaster June 25th, 2009 11:57 am

That is brilliant!

JustAnIllusion June 26th, 2009 3:54 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrewtmaster (Post 5339303)
That is brilliant!

Definitely :). If they ever made an HP musical now, however, I'd expect Draco to be played by a girl, and an alto.

skrewtmaster June 26th, 2009 11:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnIllusion (Post 5339975)
Definitely :). If they ever made an HP musical now, however, I'd expect Draco to be played by a girl, and an alto.

For sure, it just wouldn't work without that! I suppose that it's proof that a musical could be done if it were tongue and cheek. :rotfl:

Sahara June 26th, 2009 11:44 pm

I'm glad I already saw SKP's musical as they've temporarily taken down all of the videos :0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bYariSUNgI

Yuna_Leonhart June 28th, 2009 7:53 pm

I think it depends on the music, the songs and choreography but I would give it a chance. My last (and only) two encounters with musicals were pleasant (Dirty Dancing and The Lion King) and I wouldn't mind seeing a HP musical, it might fun to see.

Dirigible_plums July 2nd, 2009 6:58 pm

As a musical theater fanatic I LOVED this. I was rolling around in my seats with laughter.
Cast wise I could picture Kerry Ellis as Cho. I'm not really sure why, but I think that would be really funny. I could also picture the guys from Spring Awakening (Jonathan Groff and John Gallager Jr.) as Harry and Ron.

GingerPeachy July 2nd, 2009 7:10 pm

I thought what I've seen of it so far is really hysterical! I'm not a big fan of musicals in general, but I really enjoyed this. :) I hope it's back online soon!

SevrusSnape August 18th, 2009 8:35 am

I would definitely see a musical if they did it. As weird as it would be I'm sure some of it would be sweet, most musicals are.

CowsRSkary August 21st, 2009 2:51 am

I would watch it because I love any and all things HP, but I'm a bit of a thesbian, and I never liked musicals.

LindaZhu August 21st, 2009 3:14 am

i just watched the first act and liked it. not ROFL liked it, but it was good. however, i know people who don't know much about HP but do know a lot about what's hot on YouTube, and they watched it and became instant fans.

KChan88 August 21st, 2009 4:10 am

I absolutely LOVED this musical, and nearly died laughing! All the songs have gotten stuck in my head, and I've watched the videos dozens of times. Any Harry Potter fan would like it, and it's obvious it was made by true fans because they have such a knowledge of the books. They really did a great job with it, and they're going to perform it live at Infinitus next July, so I heard. :love:

JR637 August 25th, 2009 9:06 pm

"A Very Potter Musical"

There was an article presenting this play a month or two ago. I watched it and loved it. I just came back and decided to watch it again and it's just as great the 2nd time around! :tu:

Who else loves this movie!!

Here is the link to Act 1, Scene 1 on youtube. Enjoy! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmwM_AKeMCk

-JR

MinervasCat August 27th, 2009 9:51 pm

Only if Andrew Lloyd Webber writes it!!! :hmm:

AccioHP August 28th, 2009 11:30 pm

i finished watching A Very Potter Musical today. It was HYSTERICAL!!! I would definitely recommend it to any Potter fan!!

CowsRSkary September 8th, 2009 7:24 pm

Ok, I just watcched the entire musical on youtubes, and I fell in love! The bit with Quirrell is too funny, and Ron took the cake! The headband, and the constantly eating. And (bad me) I watched the ending first, so I was all confused. Quadruple thumbs up!

Tonks_Animagus September 8th, 2009 7:30 pm

Not! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Krums_Girl September 8th, 2009 11:44 pm

I probably wouldn't watch it. Musicals have a bad reputation, and I think that they would just butcher Harry Potter if they turned it into a musical.

Plus, people at Hogwarts don't just randomly burst out into song and dance. They just don't.

ActingDude17 September 9th, 2009 12:35 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krums_Girl (Post 5413293)
I probably wouldn't watch it. Musicals have a bad reputation, and I think that they would just butcher Harry Potter if they turned it into a musical.

Plus, people at Hogwarts don't just randomly burst out into song and dance. They just don't.

You don't seem to understand the art form of theatre. And how do musicals have a bad reputation?

Krums_Girl September 9th, 2009 12:40 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActingDude17 (Post 5413338)
You don't seem to understand the art form of theatre. And how do musicals have a bad reputation?

High School Musical, for one thing. They've taken the musical (which I used to like-the tunes were catchy) and turned it into some Disney production, with bad singing and cheesy acting, which isn't my thing.

I don't think I'll ever be able to watch a musical again without thinking of High School Musical, which is a shame.

ActingDude17 September 9th, 2009 12:43 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krums_Girl (Post 5413347)
High School Musical, for one thing. They've taken the musical (which I used to like-the tunes were catchy) and turned it into some Disney production, with bad singing and cheesy acting, which isn't my thing.

I don't think I'll ever be able to watch a musical again without thinking of High School Musical, which is a shame.

It really is, since High School Musical is not even a true musical. The original was a movie musical, which is by no means the same thing.

I will tell you soberly right now, the theatre community despises High School Musical, if humanly possible, more than anyone else. It has given us a bad reputation when there are some true gems out there such as My Fair Lady, Sweeney Todd, Follies, Into The Woods, and Fiddler on the Roof, among others.

Krums_Girl September 9th, 2009 12:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActingDude17 (Post 5413348)
It really is, since High School Musical is not even a true musical. The original was a movie musical, which is by no means the same thing.

I will tell you soberly right now, the theatre community despises High School Musical, if humanly possible, more than anyone else. It has given us a bad reputation when there are some true gems out there such as My Fair Lady, Sweeney Todd, Follies, Into The Woods, and Fiddler on the Roof, among others.

I agree that High School Musical is a zit on the face of the musical theatre, but I don't think that anyone would take a Harry Potter musical seriously, just because of HSM.

ActingDude17 September 9th, 2009 12:50 am

HSM does not really take itself seriously. It's not a serious piece (which is why I dislike it so). What if someone talented enough was able to compose a deep, intellectual Harry Potter musical, done in the manner of some of Sondheim's shows?

Krums_Girl September 9th, 2009 2:09 am

Sondheim? I am not familiar with this name.
What are his shows like?

JR637 September 9th, 2009 2:10 am

I don't know if people are aware of this, but I created a thread for an existing Harry Potter Musical which is kinda low budget and not serious in the least bit but it is very well done! Plus it's up on youtube.

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=122481

-JR

ActingDude17 September 10th, 2009 1:43 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krums_Girl (Post 5413395)
Sondheim? I am not familiar with this name.
What are his shows like?

Stephen Sondheim's shows are generally very intellectual and thought-provoking with captivating stories and characters. He has done the music and lyrics for Into the Woods and Sweeney Todd, and the lyrics for Gypsy and West Side Story.

Krums_Girl September 10th, 2009 11:32 am

ooooooh. I see now.

If the director, or whomever, could pull off a show like that, then I would watch it, and probably enjoy it very much.

But that would be difficult to do, wouldn't it?

CowsRSkary September 11th, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Who else LOVES "A Very Potter Musical"?

I Love AVHPM!
I actually found it through you, and I watched the whole thing and LOVED it!
I especially liked Ron.

LoonyForMoony September 11th, 2009 12:47 am

Ooh, ooh, ooh, me me me!! I think it's amazing! Well, it's odd in places, but I think they did a great job! I especially like the music; I think it would be completely EPIC if they put Voldemort is Going Down in the actual movie, it's so powerful! :D

Jack5555 September 11th, 2009 12:53 am

It is FANTASTIC! I still need to watch the 2nd part though.

Phoenixa September 11th, 2009 1:14 am

I love it too! :D It's "totally awesome".

JustAnIllusion September 11th, 2009 6:49 am

IT IS MADE OF WIN.

I like the musical better than the movies. I can't stop watching it.

Kanksha September 11th, 2009 7:03 am

It's awesomeness is so high that it can't be measured even on a scale from 1 to 10,000,000.
The songs are sooooo catchy! They get stuck in my head for days and days :rockon:

lcbaseball22 September 11th, 2009 7:10 am

Jeez, seems quite a few really love it. Hmm, I might have to watch this... :lol:

skrewtmaster September 11th, 2009 11:06 am

I LOVE A Very Potter Musical! I just downloaded the soundtrack and am listening to it on loop! It's totally awesome.

CowsRSkary September 19th, 2009 4:01 am

My favorite song is Granger Danger.
I heard they put out a soundtrack. True of False?

JR637 September 19th, 2009 6:02 am

True. If you go to their website, I belive there are links.

-JR

CowsRSkary September 19th, 2009 5:40 pm

I'm listening to it now.
My only problem was during the show, the music was sort of loud, so i couldn't hear all the words, but I read the side bar, so all is well.

Alisaurus September 20th, 2009 1:10 pm

I love this! I downloaded the videos off of YouTube, and put them on my iPod. It's such a well-made musical! Very impressive for the amount of time they had to put it together. It's hilarious how they tell the stories, and represent the characters!
My favourite character has got to be Quirrel, with Voldy coming a very close second. Whenever I watch the last scene, where Voldy finds Quirrel again, I get all teary! There's so many fantastic quotes in that scene, like "You'd think killing people would make them like you. But it doesn't, itjust makes people dead" and "You came back?" "I came home"
*tears up*

I think I may have an unhealthy obsession with it really.

HMN September 28th, 2009 2:47 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrewtmaster (Post 5415060)
I LOVE A Very Potter Musical! I just downloaded the soundtrack and am listening to it on loop! It's totally awesome.

From where? I would love to do the same.

I've seen the whole thing 3 times through now, and I love it more and more each time. I wish I could see it live. I have fantasies that JKR will see it and have it produced. One can dream right?

Edit to add: Never mind, I found it... http://www.teamstarkid.com/soundtrackdownload.html

ally_xx September 28th, 2009 4:45 am

Hahahahahahaha that is totally awesome!

Severely Snapped September 29th, 2009 10:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 (Post 5415001)
Jeez, seems quite a few really love it. Hmm, I might have to watch this... :lol:

You really do. :) I was skeptical myself, but I gave it a chance, and I'm SO glad I did! These kids are really very talented and funny. My faves are Voldie (Joe Walker), Snape (Joe Moses) and Draco (Lauren Lopez) - the three most delicious hams in the show. :lol:

raye_cerys September 29th, 2009 10:25 pm

-RAISES HAND-
Some girls in my dormitory burned the entire production on DVD and hosted a viewing party in the lounge. They also provided lyrics for the whole soundtrack so everyone could sing along. It was fantastic.

I'm particularly fond of Dumbledore's Addidas. :D

silver ink pot September 29th, 2009 11:39 pm

Did you see that Darren Criss, the guy who plays Harry, is going to have a role on the ABC TV show "Eastwick"? He first appears on the show October 7th, according to this video.

HMN October 3rd, 2009 3:21 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver ink pot (Post 5427927)
Did you see that Darren Criss, the guy who plays Harry, is going to have a role on the ABC TV show "Eastwick"? He first appears on the show October 7th, according to this video.

He totally deserves it! Great news. I hope all of them get a lot of recognition for the musical.

I've had "Going back to Hogwarts" in my head all week. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by raye_cerys (Post 5427887)
-RAISES HAND-
Some girls in my dormitory burned the entire production on DVD and hosted a viewing party in the lounge. They also provided lyrics for the whole soundtrack so everyone could sing along. It was fantastic.

I am soooo jealous. That is the perfect way to see it.

I also love Dumbledore's second beard to disguise himself.

skrewtmaster October 5th, 2009 5:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMN (Post 5429818)
I also love Dumbledore's second beard to disguise himself.

That cracks me up every time! "Hey Dumbledore! Where'd you come from?" :lol:

Alisaurus October 5th, 2009 5:17 pm

♪I'll cast some spells with a flick of my wand, defeat the Dark Arts, yeah bring it on!

I'm listening to that song right now. This musical has lead to a lot of "in jokes" between me and my friend. In chemistry today our teacher said something that sounded like a line from AVPM, and we both burst out laughing, but no-one else understood why :lol:

We also rewrote the words to "Ginny/Cho Chang" and sang a song about the stomach for our biology presentation!

Again. Me + AVPM = Unhealthy obsession..
Woops.

skrewtmaster October 5th, 2009 5:32 pm

Oh my word Alisaurus! You must really love AVPM! :lol:

Alisaurus October 5th, 2009 5:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrewtmaster (Post 5431501)
Oh my word Alisaurus! You must really love AVPM! :lol:

Well, the song was more of a revision technique, and we had a free period, and a guitar, so we went for it ;)

I do really love it though! I think it's so funny and just, well brilliant! :love:

LoonyLovegood77 October 9th, 2009 10:10 pm

voldemort is so funny when he's w/ quirrell in act 1
snape is really funny 2
its like the comedy version of potter, it's alot more cheerful

Perlidia October 11th, 2009 4:07 pm

I watched this recently on youtube to find out what all the fuss was about, and I think it has now become my new obsession :D

It is so wonderfully clever and the songs stay in your head for days and days. The cast were great too - I particularly like Joey Richter. Every facial expression and movement had me crying with laughter.

Kudos to Criss for the music and to the writers and Directors and also for choreography (I think it was Bellatrix)

I wish there was a way they could release it and charge for DVD's - they really deserve it.

Will definitely keep an eye out for and support any future starkid productions.

rancerocks October 11th, 2009 9:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by raye_cerys (Post 5427887)
-RAISES HAND-

Amanda has those DVDs, but I still have the files if you want them. lol

Voldemorts8thHorcrux October 11th, 2009 10:38 pm

haha it's AMAZING!!!! Definitely one of the best potter related things on youtube :D

Nyjets4004 October 12th, 2009 12:00 am

I really wasnt a fan of the "a very potter musical" because i guess im just not a fan of musicals period i hate them but this one was k because it had harry potter in it

ally_xx October 12th, 2009 6:58 am

I love it! I'm going to be watching the parts I haven't seen tonight :)

cybobbie October 12th, 2009 8:56 pm

I'm still watching the parts, but so far I'm loving it, it's cracking me up!!

Lennon October 13th, 2009 4:55 am

I am sure I may enjoy it if I were to sit through the musical, however my life has been and will always be for as long as I can help it a: MUSICAL-FREE-ZONE.

But thats just me. I always say, "to each their own", if you enjoy it, power to you.

Perlidia November 28th, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: "A Very Potter Musical"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lennon (Post 5436586)
I am sure I may enjoy it if I were to sit through the musical, however my life has been and will always be for as long as I can help it a: MUSICAL-FREE-ZONE.

I wouldn't pass this over just because it’s a musical. Having watched it a few times now, I am beginning to understand why I like it so much.

I think they get some things so right in this adaptation compared to the films.
The closeness of the trio is evident in the play and I think very loyal to the relationship in the book. Whereas in the films - the relationship IMO is very cold and has little intimacy. And the more Yates tries to push their relationship the more sterile it becomes.

The Ron/Harry relationship is spot on and Joey Richter does a great job of making Ron funny again. (I like Rupert – I think he is the best of the child actors in the films – but Ron is a little too flat and is pushed too much into the background, Yates again). Harry (though cocky and popular) is performed by Darren Criss, who understands the character much more than Yates ever will.

I dislike Emma’s Hermione more than anything else in the films (though I think she is a good actress – she is great in ballet shoes) so Bonnie Gruessen didn’t have much to stand up against – but Bonnie not only delivers, she is Hermione. Her relationship with the other two is spot on.

Although AVPM does not stick to the plot at all and the characters differ from the book, the feeling of the books is there. And even some of the changes made to the characters are more representative of JKR's writing.

AVPM also raises interesting questions like what’s it like having Voldermort on the back of your head for a year and what is going on in Draco's head?

I think Draco is represented really well in this adaptation - Lauren Lopez performs him perfectly, you get a great sense of Draco’s insecurity, something I don’t think Yates has managed to pull off. Just to add Draco is not directly adapted – there are significant changes to his personality and plot, but I don’t believe they take away from his personality, rather they enhance what is in the books.

I could go through every cast member and the writers and directors not to mention the band and song writers, but most of it will just be repeating what I have said above.
If you can watch with an open mind and think of it as an interpretation of JKR’s work – then it is a must see.

It will depress you to see how well Harry Potter can be done by people who truly get it, rather than by people trying to make money.

LoonyForMoony November 28th, 2009 3:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perlidia (Post 5461151)
I could go through every cast member and the writers and directors not to mention the band and song writers, but most of it will just be repeating what I have said above.
If you can watch with an open mind and think of it as an interpretation of JKR’s work – then it is a must see. It will depress you to see how well Harry Potter can be done by people who truly get it, rather than by people trying to make money.

I totally agree with everything you said. I know it isn't quite fair because DH hasn't been released yet, but I'd bet quite a large sum that the Voldemort is going Down scene from AVPM is more moving and powerful than anything the "real" filmmakers come up with for that section in the book! My friend can't believe that I think Joey Ritcher is more attractive than Rupert Grint, but I do! :lol: And I think it's because Joey actually makes Ron a likable character, which IMO Rupert does not. I actually see Joey and Bonnie as Ron and Hermione when I read the books at times, which is quite an achievement as far as I'm concerned; Rupert and Emma never enter my head for a moment! And Darren actually manages to give Harry some flair... Lauren really captures Draco as far as I'm concerned... oh, and Voldemort and Quirrel are just the sweetest thing ever! ;) The only character who bugs me a bit is Dumbledore. I do wish he could have been a little closer to the book's version, they really didn't respect him at all... but that's a small issue compared to the total awesomeness of the other character and all of the songs! :)

Perlidia November 28th, 2009 9:06 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoonyForMoony (Post 5461162)
The only character who bugs me a bit is Dumbledore. I do wish he could have been a little closer to the book's version, but that's a small issue compared to the total awesomeness of the other character and all of the songs!

Yes, I agree he wasn't very DD, but I think the character change was necessary in order for him to fit into the play. I think he performed DD function - to guide Harry in a way which worked in harmony with the tone of the play.
Plus I like a lot of the explanations Team Starkid give for DD motives. I think his scene with Malfoy was much better than the one in the film, although the dialog was humorous - it was much more endearing.

I love the scene at Kings Cross station - "Harry its time you to know all the things you should have known seven years ago - which would have really helped you along the way" :lol:

I agree about the Voldemort is going down scene. There is no way the film will be able to recreate the emotion you feel watching this scene in the play.

Their genius lies in the fact they have thought about the HP series and have questioned it and they have written very clever and humorous interpretations of character motives and events. A lot of work and affection went into the making.

Again I have to reiterate - it just demonstrates how well the series could be adapted.

CandyCane23049 November 28th, 2009 9:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perlidia (Post 5461228)
Yes, I agree he wasn't very DD, but I think the character change was necessary in order for him to fit into the play. I think he performed DD function - to guide Harry in a way which worked in harmony with the tone of the play.
Plus I like a lot of the explanations Team Starkid give for DD motives. I think his scene with Malfoy was much better than the one in the film, although the dialog was humorous - it was much more endearing.

I love the scene at Kings Cross station - "Harry its time you to know all the things you should have known seven years ago - which would have really helped you along the way" :lol:

I agree about the Voldemort is going down scene. There is no way the film will be able to recreate the emotion you feel watching this scene in the play.

Their genius lies in the fact they have thought about the HP series and have questioned it and they have written very clever and humorous interpretations of character motives and events. A lot of work and affection went into the making.

Again I have to reiterate - it just demonstrates how well the series could be adapted.

My other favorite part would be when they start searching for the Hallows, and question how. I forgot the first part but I know they say something about searching for the Hallows and calls it stupid to look all over for them.

Perlidia November 28th, 2009 9:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandyCane23049 (Post 5461233)
My other favorite part would be when they start searching for the Hallows, and question how. I forgot the first part but I know they say something about searching for the Hallows and calls it stupid to look all over for them.

From http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1787729/ohhMOONshoesPOTTER
Quote:

Hermione: "Or it could be hidden somewhere around the mundane British countryside, our search could entail months of depressing camping, breaking into Gringotts, and drinking boatloads of polyjuice potion."
Harry: "Well the medallion says that's dumb, so we're not going to do that."
:lol: Horcrux seeking medallion!

CandyCane23049 November 28th, 2009 10:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perlidia (Post 5461236)
From http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1787729/ohhMOONshoesPOTTER

:lol: Horcrux seeking medallion!

that's it:lol:

So many favorite things about the play. "Cedric your such a spare" " kill the spare....."

The Ginny and Cho song, Spiderman 3 reference, " What the *ll is a HufflePuff"?:lol:
I've been watching it this whole weekend.

Have you checked their other play Me and my **ck?

Perlidia November 28th, 2009 10:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandyCane23049 (Post 5461241)
Have you checked their other play Me and my **ck?

Oh yes - its become my favorite thing on youtube. I think AJ Holmes as the Heart gives an outstanding performance. Listen to your heart is such a great comic performance, Joey and AJ do it so well.

I love the proposal scene - Joey and AJ are fantastic - its the greatest symbolism I have ever seen - being led by your heart :lol:

The Joey/Ali study scene is so good also - the timing between the four of them is perfect.

Considering its subject matter, I think its one of the most heartfelt tackling of the issue I have ever watched.

I like that they include a lot of props and dialog from AVPM.

I think my favorite line in AVPM is Ron explaining why he is miserable (because he is in love with Hermione) “ Every time I look at her I have these pains in my chest and I just know it's her fault, that ***ch". Joey Richter’s delivery of this line is hilarious.

Similarly Joey Richter’s “and raise my children” in MAMD gets me every time.

CandyCane23049 November 28th, 2009 10:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perlidia (Post 5461244)
Oh yes - its become my favorite thing on youtube. I think AJ Holmes as the Heart gives an outstanding performance. Listen to your heart is such a great comic performance, Joey and AJ do it so well.

I love the proposal scene - Joey and AJ are fantastic - its the greatest symbolism I have ever seen - being led by your heart :lol:

The Joey/Ali study scene is so good also - the timing between the four of them is perfect.

Considering its subject matter, I think its one of the most heartfelt tackling of the issue I have ever watched.

I like that they include a lot of props and dialog from AVPM.

I think my favorite line in AVPM is Ron explaining why he is miserable (because he is in love with Hermione) “ Every time I look at her I have these pains in my chest and I just know it's her fault, that ***ch". Joey Richter’s delivery of this line is hilarious.

Similarly Joey Richter’s “and raise my children” in MAMD gets me every time.

That's one my favorite lines in AVPM too. :tu:

I wached Me and my ___ just this weeekend. I'm about to watch it again to familarize myself with it. I also need to check out Little White Lies, I have yet to watch it.

Perlidia November 28th, 2009 10:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandyCane23049 (Post 5461247)
I wached Me and my ___ just this weeekend. I'm about to watch it again to familarize myself with it. I also need to check out Little White Lies, I have yet to watch it.

LWL is very good, certainly worth watching. Lauren Lopez and Brian Holden are really very good in it.

I had songs from MAMD in my head all day yeaterday - not very appropiate to accidently start singing in work.
I keeping switching between the opening number of MAMD to Voldemort is going down from AVPM.

It's a pity the team is so scattered now that most of them have graduated, hopefully they will still do projects together.

Kaiserin_Sisi November 29th, 2009 2:49 am

I think that a while from now, a Harry Potter Musical would work, but not now. It's too new. Most of the most popular book-based musicals are based on classic books that have been adapted and played around with by hundreds of other artists. This made them less committed to staying closely to the plot of the book, while with Harry Potter, the only serious adaptation we would have to compare it too is the movies. The musical would, almost without a doubt, simplify the story very much, as most book-based musicals do. The musical of a book has a tendency to become a separate thing from the book itself, and most fandoms with musicals based on their book recognize this. Like in the Les Mis fandom, the fans who know the book, movies, and musical will discuss some adapted characters (namely Eponine, as the most extreme example) as if they were completely different characters. There are some fans who are upset by the difference, but most understand that the musical of a book is an adaptation, not a word-for-word retelling. For Harry Potter to be made into a musical, a few more movies should be made, and probably a straight play too. I'm thinking at least 20 years from now, at a bare minimum.

Also, I don't have any faith in Broadway at the moment, and I may be losing faith in the West End in a few years, depending on how well they do with certain productions they have planned for the 2010/2011 season. I don't want Broadway to even think about touching any of the books that I like until it makes up for Dance of the Vampires. For those of you who aren't German musical geeks, Broadway did a production of one of my favorite German musicals, but they changed it to make it lighter, funnier, less-dark, and more dumbed-down, because that's what the producers, director, and lead-actor-with-creative-control thought would appeal to Broadway audiences most. Broadway hasn't proven to me that this won't happen with any other musicals they adapt yet. Until they do so, I would not want Broadway to have anything to do with it.

Also, Michael Crawford is not allowed on the same contitent as the musical.

If someone were to do a Harry Potter musical now, I would want either Sondheim to do it, or Michael Kunze and Sylvester Levay. I love almost everything that Sondheim does, and I think that he would treat Harry Potter with the respect it deserves. However, his shows often tend to not go too well with popularity. They are known for quality, but not always for being the audience's favorite. I also think that Kunze and Levay would do well with it. They have a tendency to do amazingly well with dark material, and I don't think any of their work could be regarded as fluff. They also did a very good adaptation of the book Rebecca, although that is just a single book. My main problem with them is the fact that none of their shows have been brought to an English-speaking stage, and that's a bit of an inconvenience for us non-German speakers.

As for a creative team I do not want...preferably no Andrew Lloyd Webber. He did okay with POTO, but that's the only thing of his that I can stand. Also, preferrably no Wildhorn. The guy has a tendency to romanticize everything he touches, and his name is a show-killer on Broadway. His shows tend not to do wonderfully in other places.

If a musical of Harry Potter were to be made, I think that they should just do the first book. They wouldn't have to cut as much, and I think that the entire series would just not be very practical. The plot of the first book could probably stand along with a few minor adaptations.

A random picture has been floating around my head of an intense ensemble piece sung by the wizarding world in the DH after Voldemort takes over the Ministry.

And on the Very Potter Musical...Brilliant! I love it! My friends and I know most of it by heart now. XD

dumbledores1fan November 29th, 2009 2:57 am

I've watched only a couple of parts of the first act, but it's really funny! Some friends of mine got me to watch it when they told me many of the funny parts from the musical.

My favorite character is Malfoy. He *coughcough*she*coughcough* is really funny! I look forward to one day to actually finishing the first act, if not the whole musical! :lol:

Kaiserin_Sisi November 29th, 2009 3:00 am

I know! Lauren Lopez is brilliant! I includer he on my list of favorite performers of all-time. :lol:

Perlidia November 29th, 2009 10:43 pm

I ended up watching AVPM again because of all the posting yesterday and I can't stop comparing it to the films.

Unless the DH films blows me away - I think I am going to be very, very disappointed. To continue my rant from yesterday about the characters..

I really love Ian Hart, I think he is so underrated as an actor – but I think Brian Rosenthal is a much better Quirrel, also I prefer Joe Walker's Voldemort, although more vulnerable and humorous – I like his reactions and the writers interpretation of his motives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoonyForMoony (Post 5461162)
And Darren actually manages to give Harry some flair

Agreed. I think that is what’s missing in the films, each of the trio are flat and slightly soulless. I hate the forced laughter scenes between them (after Harry kissed Cho and when they discussed DD age). In the play the trio are charismatic and whole and the actors who play them are very, very talented.

ronweasleysgrl November 30th, 2009 1:38 am

Wow........ I think it's interesting how many people said they would not watch it. I happen to be obsessed with AVPM!!!! I love musicals and I love HP so this is perfect for me! It's so funny and the music is so amazing!!! I have the soundtrack! :) Oh and I'm in love Darren Criss (a.k.a. Harry Potter) and Jim Povolo (a.k.a. Goyle) :love: If y'all like AVPM y'all should really check out LWL! It has some of the same actors and it's on YouTube. It's about strugling bro/sis musicians. It is also funny and the music is amazing!

Perlidia December 9th, 2009 11:41 pm

A very potter musical is pretty great - and I understand what non-musical liking HP fans get out of it - its a wonderful, insightful parody.

And even as a huge Gene Kelly (mostly for "singing in the rain") fan, I still don't begruge people who don't like musicals. ;)

ActingDude17 December 10th, 2009 10:12 pm

I know AVPM is a parody, but if someone were to do a serious Potter musical Stephen Sondheim would be the man to do it.

Perlidia December 12th, 2009 1:38 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActingDude17 (Post 5467152)
know AVPM is a parody, but if someone were to do a serious Potter musical Stephen Sondheim would be the man to do it.

:hmm:...maybe.

I don't know if I would like a straight version. I think parodies work much better when the musical is not the original material.
And having seen this - I don't know how any serious version would stand up to it.

I think they would end up making all the same mistakes they did in the films.

As I have said, even though this is a parody - I think it has more heart and authenticity than the films.

ActingDude17 December 12th, 2009 9:31 pm

If there were one, however, he would absolutely be the only one for the job. I can't see anyone else pulling it off.

LoonyForMoony December 15th, 2009 12:44 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeviathanMammal (Post 5462782)
You suck.

Um.... wow. Mods, doesn't this count as member-bashing? :huh:

And I second the LWL (Little White Lie) recommendation. It's, dare I say it, even better than AVPM, and the music is great! :)

ronweasleysgrl December 15th, 2009 12:54 am

Psh! LoonyForMoony, AVPM is better! :p But, as you know, I do love me some LWL :)

Nagini001 December 15th, 2009 1:23 am

Where do you go see it???

LoonyForMoony December 15th, 2009 2:49 am

Here's the first part, Nagini! Come back and let know what you think. :)

Nagini001 December 15th, 2009 3:07 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoonyForMoony (Post 5469012)
Here's the first part, Nagini! Come back and let know what you think. :)

Ahh Very Good :)

HarryXGinny4evr December 19th, 2009 4:40 am

Oh my gosh! This is so hilarious! I love "A Very Potter Musical." :D

Perlidia December 19th, 2009 12:22 pm

I was so annoyed "A Very Potter Musical" didn't win mashable youtube video of the year. It really deserved it. :grumble:
I think it is very unfair they made something so great and they can't really make any money on it, I just hope the fan base they have built up and their notoriety helps them with any future projects.

SevenofDiamonds January 6th, 2010 6:12 am

I love AVPM. The amateur cast shows better acting and comic-timing skills than most of what's on TV right now, and with a lot more energy. It takes a lot of liberties, but the spirit is still there. Honestly, I think "Dragon Lullaby" shows a better understanding of Harry's character than any other Potter parody that's been released.

Perlidia January 31st, 2010 10:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SevenofDiamonds (Post 5478526)
Honestly, I think "Dragon Lullaby" shows a better understanding of Harry's character than any other Potter parody that's been released.

:agree: True.

Quote:

I'm really not that special
The Boy Who Lived is only flesh and bone
the truth is in the end
I'm pretty useless without friends
In fact I'm alone

I don't know any spells
Still manage to do well
But there's only so long that can last for
I'm living off the glory
of some stupid childrens story
I had nothing to do with
I just sat there and got lucky
so level with me buddy
I can't defeat thee
so please dont eat me
:lol:

HesperGamp February 27th, 2010 4:28 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CowsRSkary (Post 5421030)
My favorite song is Granger Danger.
I heard they put out a soundtrack. True of False?

I think that their songs are on iTunes.

I really enjoyed AVPM. Lauren Lopez as Draco Malfoy is hilarious. Its a celebration of Harry Potter :)

Jack5555 February 27th, 2010 12:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HesperGamp (Post 5502209)
I think that their songs are on iTunes.

I really enjoyed AVPM. Lauren Lopez as Draco Malfoy is hilarious. Its a celebration of Harry Potter :)

The3 soundtrack is not allowed to be sold, so they have it for free download on their website.

HesperGamp March 1st, 2010 4:01 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack5555 (Post 5502316)
The3 soundtrack is not allowed to be sold, so they have it for free download on their website.

You're right, I must have gotten it confused with something else :relax:

albsfwks March 5th, 2010 10:22 pm

I just watched this for the first time and it was ridiculously hilarious! Kudos to the cast/crew.... Voldemort/Quirrell, and Draco were my favorites I think. Ron was also great. So funny! I'm so glad I discovered it.... nice to know there's something else Potter related out there besides the movies!

weasleychild March 7th, 2010 7:37 pm

I really dont how this would turn out, but I would defintently go to see it no matter how bad it was haha. Just becasue im that sad. But I would hope that they wouldn't make it another film, it wouldn't do very well I don't think haha.

with love weasleychild. (:

I just read comments above, so ther has actually been one? Oh my god, how cool! hehe.

mexicant March 11th, 2010 10:12 pm

On twitter today they linked to a video talking about "A Very Potter Sequel"...

Just thought some of you might like to know. ^_^

Perlidia March 17th, 2010 8:10 pm

Spent most of St Patrick’s day re-watching AVPM - it's probably not a good thing that I know this show off by heart :hmm:
It's very addictive. I can’t wait for the sequel, so I can become addicted all over again. :)

The opening and closing numbers are so good; I wonder what they will come up with for the new musical.

LinnendeBlack March 18th, 2010 11:57 am

Ahhhhh I love AVPM! :love:

OotF_colt_DA March 19th, 2010 1:20 am

i love AVPM and I've seen it at least 7 times :D

ALX2112 April 6th, 2010 2:53 am

I think it would be awful.

Teghan9559 April 9th, 2010 2:04 am

I sent in my request for tickets for the sequel. IWANTTHOSETICKETSSOBAD! I cant wait to see it. whether or not its on Youtube. I actually changed to format of the music just so i could put it on my ipod.

pigtheadhdowl April 9th, 2010 4:06 am

ive just watched it the other night. its buttwhoopin awesome. i actually drew a picture. check it out: http://louli9559.deviantart.com/art/...dore-159924739
haha, and look at my sig.

Nyjets4004 April 9th, 2010 4:40 am

Ive never watched it; do you know were i can get it?