Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Hermione and Ron - Where to from here? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=70301)

SSJ_Jup81 November 16th, 2005 8:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordharry
"I stand corrected'" means the same things as, "I was very, very wrong and you were completely right."

I didn't even notice that. Well, I am in a rush. Have to leave work early today to make an appointment. Sorry about that.

PotionA November 16th, 2005 9:05 pm

Quote:

Since there was no hint of romance on the platform when Harry saw Ginny the first time or any of the many early meetings, would that mean that things couldn't change and Harry later would feel something for Ginny?

Ah but that's where you're mistaken. JKR had intended that scene to be romantic foreshadowing when Harry watched Ginny running after the train, half laughing half crying. Here's the bit where JKR comfirmed it:

Mugglenet/TLC Interview with JKR
MA: I think you set that up from the train compartment scene [in book one], where he was watching — all the relationships, that scene probably set it up.

JKR: I think so. I hope so. So you liked Harry/Ginny, did you, when it happened?

Sorry to get off topic here since it belongs in the Harry and Ginny thread but anyway, back on topic :)

Quote:

With his mother's and father's deaths will Harry ever be able to be happy?
With Sirius's death will Harry ever be able to be happy?
With Dumbledore's death will Harry ever be able to be happy?
With Hermione's death will Harry ever be able to be happy?
With Ginny's death will Harry ever be able to be happy?
With Ron's death will Harry ever be able to be happy?

Harry has shown that he can endure the death of someone close and still have happiness. He is a survivor, not a victim.

Finally. The easiest thing to write would be for all of them to survive. But when does JKR alway to the easiest thing.
After all the losses Harry had suffered, his mother's death would be in vain if his last sources of happiness, which includes Ron, Hermione and Ginny, are viciously snatched away from him. And I agree that JKR doesn't carry out things the easiest way, but as I've said before, she does follow a unique pattern of the hero's journey, a literary device that authors have used in the past.

Anyway. Ron and Hermione where to from here? OBHWF of course! :D

lordharry November 17th, 2005 5:18 pm

Hermione and Ron are a wonderful couple. They could have a truly great life together. In the future both Ron and Hermione will mature and many of the current problems will go away, but what Ron really needs is a girl more like, (and I said like), Ginny. Ron needs a strong hand, like his father, to keep him from himself. Ron needs a soothing influence to calm his storms. Ron needs a fellow sports enthusiast to handle his quidditch fanaticism. Ron needs someone that will help channel his energies in a productive direction. In other words, he needs Katie Bell, (who seems to have much of Ginny's personality), instead of Hermione.
…I know, I know, there is no romance between the two mentioned in any of the books. Katie has graduated and will not even be at school in book seven. JKR has, (indirectly), said that it would be Hermione. Hermione can do all those things. And many other things too numerous to be mentioned. And I agree, but it is just that Katie would do them better. Where’s my proof? Where’s my canon I hear you say. I only have a tiny bit. Katie was a chaser, (Fanaticism), Katie suggested that Harry not just accept the old players but have open tryouts, (Mrs. Weasley syndrome), and all the other little tid-bit scattered in the books.
Please don't be shy, let me know the problems with Katie’s personality that would make her incompatible with Ron.

Can anyone else think of reasonable ways for JKR to separate Hermione and Ron? I can only thinks of a couple.

Sorry. Sometimes I end up way off the subject, but here I go again.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PotionA
Ah but that's where you're mistaken.

I am afraid that you are mistaken that I am mistaken.
Quote:

JKR had intended that scene to be romantic foreshadowing when Harry watched Ginny running after the train, half laughing half crying.

A foreshadowing gives no meaning except in hindsight. Without later help in interpreting her actions, by JKR and the other books, it was most likely awe at the boy-who-lived. Now we know that she was passionately in love with Harry whom she had met a few minutes earlier.

PotionA November 17th, 2005 8:14 pm

Quote:

Hermione and Ron are a wonderful couple. They could have a truly great life together. In the future both Ron and Hermione will mature and many of the current problems will go away, but what Ron really needs is a girl more like, (and I said like), Ginny. Ron needs a strong hand, like his father, to keep him from himself. Ron needs a soothing influence to calm his storms. Ron needs a fellow sports enthusiast to handle his quidditch fanaticism. Ron needs someone that will help channel his energies in a productive direction. In other words, he needs Katie Bell, (who seems to have much of Ginny's personality), instead of Hermione.
…I know, I know, there is no romance between the two mentioned in any of the books. Katie has graduated and will not even be at school in book seven. JKR has, (indirectly), said that it would be Hermione. Hermione can do all those things. And many other things too numerous to be mentioned. And I agree, but it is just that Katie would do them better. Where’s my proof? Where’s my canon I hear you say. I only have a tiny bit. Katie was a chaser, (Fanaticism), Katie suggested that Harry not just accept the old players but have open tryouts, (Mrs. Weasley syndrome), and all the other little tid-bit scattered in the books.
Please don't be shy, let me know the problems with Katie’s personality that would make her incompatible with Ron.

JKR didn't indirectly say that it's Ron and Hermione, she made it crystal clear in the interview.

JKR: I will say, that yes, I personally feel - well it's going to be clear once people have read book six. I mean, that’s it. It’s done, isn’t it? We know. Yes, we do now know that it's Ron and Hermione. I do feel that I have dropped heavy -

[All crack up]

JKR: - hints. ANVIL-sized, actually, hints, prior to this point. I certainly think even if subtle clues hadn't been picked up by the end of “Azkaban,” that by the time we hit Krum in Goblet...

I'm not sure why you think that Ron needs a girl like Ginny which led you to believe that Katie Bell's right for him since we know next to nothing about her except that she's a year older than the Trio and that she's one of the Chasers in the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Ron and Hermione are perfect for each other in terms of friendship, communication and compatibility. Given that they have their differences, for instance their opposing views concerning Quidditch, but they always bring it out in the open instead of bottling it up. A relationship is not always based on what two people have in common because that would make a relationship very boring and communication hits an all time low because having too many similarities leaves nothing to talk, argue or discuss about. My parents are very different from each other and they've been happily married for years, all my aunts and uncles are different from their respective partners and they all have successful marriages.

And can you please provide some of the other tid-bits about Katie Bell scattered over the books that you were talking about? And can you elaborate how Katie Bell telling Harry to hold try outs for all the players relates to the Mrs Weasley syndrome? :)

Mechazawa November 17th, 2005 10:39 pm

Quote:

JKR didn't indirectly say that it's Ron and Hermione, she made it crystal clear in the interview.

JKR: I will say, that yes, I personally feel - well it's going to be clear once people have read book six. I mean, that’s it. It’s done, isn’t it? We know. Yes, we do now know that it's Ron and Hermione. I do feel that I have dropped heavy -

[All crack up]

JKR: - hints. ANVIL-sized, actually, hints, prior to this point. I certainly think even if subtle clues hadn't been picked up by the end of “Azkaban,” that by the time we hit Krum in Goblet...

I'm not sure why you think that Ron needs a girl like Ginny which led you to believe that Katie Bell's right for him since we know next to nothing about her except that she's a year older than the Trio and that she's one of the Chasers in the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Ron and Hermione are perfect for each other in terms of friendship, communication and compatibility. Given that they have their differences, for instance their opposing views concerning Quidditch, but they always bring it out in the open instead of bottling it up. A relationship is not always based on what two people have in common because that would make a relationship very boring and communication hits an all time low because having too many similarities leaves nothing to talk, argue or discuss about. My parents are very different from each other and they've been happily married for years, all my aunts and uncles are different from their respective partners and they all have successful marriages.

And can you please provide some of the other tid-bits about Katie Bell scattered over the books that you were talking about? And can you elaborate how Katie Bell telling Harry to hold try outs for all the players relates to the Mrs Weasley syndrome? :)

Agreed...

Heheheh, Freud would be proud of Ron and Hermione...

PotionA November 17th, 2005 10:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechazawa
Heheheh, Freud would be proud of Ron and Hermione...

I can see him doing a victory dance during that scene when Hermione points out the dirt on Ron's nose moments after Mrs Weasley was fussing over it ;)

Nero November 17th, 2005 11:11 pm

Hermione And Ron - Where to from here?

heh Divorce Court :eyebrows:

cgold November 18th, 2005 12:00 am

Quote:

I can see him doing a victory dance during that scene when Hermione points out the dirt on Ron's nose moments after Mrs Weasley was fussing over it ;)

There has been an Oedipal nature to the development of the romantic relationships of Harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermione. Of course, Lily, James, Arthur, Molly are not exact replicas of Ginny, Harry, Ron, Hermione respectively but the similarities are too much to ignore. This was excellent use of foreshadowing by JKR in my opinion.

JK has spent so much effort and time in developing the relationships that the "where to from here" aspect of it seems extremely important. These relationships have been building since book 1. I just have a feeling that these romances will be plot points and not simply a realistic showing of children coming of age by discovering romance. Love has been stressed consistently throughout the series and these couples love each other, and very deeply in the case of Ron and Hermione (their estrangement in PoA and HBP brought them both so much pain, especially Hermione). It appears to me that JKR is going somewhere with these loves. I'm not sure about Tonks/Lupin because JK has said that she was using that particular romance as a red herring.

Ginny's role as the person Harry will focus on as his reason to live for seems likely but there's more to her especially since she is so similar to his mother and is a seventh child, which apparently carries with it some special magic. The 7th child aspect of her is being discussed on the Seventh Child Folklore and Its Significance for Ginevra Weasley thread. She is powerful, compassionate and wonderful. It will be relevant, in my opinion. I definitely am almost 80% sure she'll be the one to kill Nagini and I think that would be very significant based on what happened in CoS.

Cheers :tu:

rotsiepots November 18th, 2005 10:53 am

Version Two time.