Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   The Wizengamot Administration Services (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Comments on: Admission to Hogsmeade (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=116224)

Jessica April 25th, 2008 7:35 pm

Comments on: Admission to Hogsmeade

Official Admin Sponsor(s): gertiekeddle, Morgoth

Hogsmeade FAQ

This thread is for members who are not yet in Hogsmeade to ask questions of the staff about admission to Hogsmeade.

Since no one but staff actually knows the answers to these questions, please leave it to staff to post the answers.

How to Get Into HogsmeadeThis is exclusively and definitively what you need to do to get into Hogsmeade.

1. The minimum requirements are 30 days as a member and over 200 posts in the qualifying areas (which conveniently matches the post count in your profile)
2. Your most recent posts should be of good quality. This means that each post is at least a couple of sentences. That your post contributes to the conversation being held in the thread. That you're using proper spelling and proper capitalization. That you're being polite to other members even when they disagree with you.

That's it. That's all we look for. If you've had warnings in the past or made shoddy posts in the past but you've moved past that and you're now a good, polite, warning free poster then you should be fine.

ArryGrotter April 27th, 2008 8:50 am

Re: Comments on: Admission to Hogsmeade

I have a question:
What is the advantage of Hogsmeade?

SageThyme April 27th, 2008 9:22 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArryGrotter (Post 5006025)
I have a question:
What is the advantage of Hogsmeade?

The advantage of Hogsmeade is that you get to have an avatar and post in a new area that is a little bit more relaxed than the open forum.

PureBloodGirl April 27th, 2008 10:55 pm

Do you have to be a user on the CoS forums for a certain amount of time before you can be admitted into Hogsmeade?

Liselle April 27th, 2008 11:00 pm

Check out the Hogsmeade FAQs for more.

Basically Hogsmeade is only open to those who've been selected by staff. To be selected, you need to have a certain number of qualifying posts and be 3rd year and up (like the books!)

hermy_weasley2 April 28th, 2008 12:33 am

The answer is in Jessica's opening post.

HGHPRW June 11th, 2008 2:27 am

Is this the thread to replace the "Comments on: Hogsmead" thread that used to exist around here?

Nadia June 11th, 2008 2:34 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HGHPRW (Post 5053925)
Is this the thread to replace the "Comments on: Hogsmead" thread that used to exist around here?

This is the thread you're looking for; here you can ask all your questions pertaining Hogsmeade. But please keep in mind that we will not discuss anything other than the admission here; we will not discuss what's in it.

HGHPRW June 11th, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks, I heard that your post count is now how many posts you have in the areas that "count" for Hogsmead, what about all the older posts from before DH, I know some of those didn't count, are they still in the post count? If so, is there still a link to get your "Hogsmead count" without searching for the qualifying areas?

gertiekeddle June 11th, 2008 1:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HGHPRW (Post 5054323)
Thanks, I heard that your post count is now how many posts you have in the areas that "count" for Hogsmead, what about all the older posts from before DH, I know some of those didn't count, are they still in the post count? If so, is there still a link to get your "Hogsmead count" without searching for the qualifying areas?

You don't have to look what the qualifying areas are, you just look on your actual post count in your profile (I see 284). Up from 300 you're eligible for Hogsmeade, but if often takes longer until a member gets the final access. If you will be accepted, you'll get an owl by an admin to inform you.

Older posts count towards your postcount, if the threads they were made in were moved to the archives.

HGHPRW June 11th, 2008 9:45 pm

So all post count stuff counts...that's different... Thanks!

PureBloodGirl June 16th, 2008 11:51 pm

I think it's kind of silly to have the Anime forum a part of Hogsmeade's qualifying areas. Not everyone watches it so how would they discuss it?

Nadia June 17th, 2008 12:45 am

Since the HP series are over, and we know people might not find much to discuss about them, the QA have been expanded to include other, non HP-related, forums. This was done to help those members increase their chances to get into Hogsmeade. However, you don't have to post in ALL of the QA to become eligible.

Sub Zero June 18th, 2008 12:58 am

How much do signature warnings count towards your admission into Hogsmeade? I've gotten like 3 warnings in my time here at CoS and they were all for signatures that were a little too long.

Alastor June 18th, 2008 4:52 am

They don't count. They aren't even real warnings.

Anyway old long since expired warnings are not counted against you.

Sub Zero June 18th, 2008 5:37 am

Oh that's good. Thanks.

JJFinch June 18th, 2008 4:59 pm

On the subject of qualifying areas, if all the non-hp stuff counts, then why doesn't Flourish and Blotts? I suppose I can understand that it would be unfair to judge people on their story-writing abilities, but the Book Club (the feedback threads) could surely counts. It's just that there are so many people who would be great Hogsmeade members but who only ever post in the Flourish and Blotts book club, leaving very valuable feedback, so they never get accepted.

Just a thought.
:)

Moriath June 18th, 2008 10:30 pm

The Book Club has a lot of posts saying that the reader liked the story and can't wait to read more and that's about it. Also, the area is not heavily moderated to give writers the option to chat about their stories rather than discuss it. If this was a qualifying area, the level of discussion would have to be raised and a lot of small talk would have to be restricted. This is not really in the best interest of the area, I'm afraid.

JJFinch June 19th, 2008 12:03 pm

:tu: Oh Ok. It's just that there are a few people who leave really in-depth and constructive feedback, but don't get any recognition for it. But I understand your reasoning.

lil_snuffles July 15th, 2008 4:07 am

:wave:
Quick question: I was wondering if you also check if a member is on the site alot. (like everyday, etc.) Do you take that into consideration when you choose people for Hogsmeade? (along with 300+ posts)