Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   In Cinemas & General Movie discussion (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Batman 2: The Dark Knight (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=112881)

guinevere_wood October 10th, 2007 11:13 am

Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Christian Bale is back, in Christopher Nolan's new Batman installment entitled The Dark Knight.

Several key plot-line items are included:

The Joker

Introduction of Harvey Dent (pre-Two Face)

The Cast

Christian Bale--Batman/Bruce Wayne
Heath Ledger--The Joker
Maggie Gyllenhaal--Rachel Dawes
Gary Oldman--Lt. James Gordon
Morgan Freeman--Lucius Fox
Cillian Murphy--(rumored)
Aaron Eckhart--Harvey Dent
Michael Caine--Alfred Pennyworth

They have only released one trailer to date, but that one trailer looks (or should I say, sounds) absolutely spectacular. Heath Ledger will not disappoint, according to the cast and crew.

(Information mostly derived from imdb.com)

Lord_Nomolous October 10th, 2007 10:42 pm

Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

I didn't even know they were making a second Batman!

That sounds so awesome, I can't wait! At the end of the last one, I was going "Huh, it's over! NOO!" So I'm glad they made another one.

What happened to Katie Holmes?

guinevere_wood October 10th, 2007 11:54 pm

I don't know what happened to her...

And yes, they are making a new one. I'd venture a guess to say that they will make at least three total.

Batman Begins: Scarecrow and Raz al Gul
Dark Knight: Joker
Batman 3: Two Face

The news that Christopher Nolan was filming a second Batman has been around for a while.

IMissPadfoot October 11th, 2007 4:38 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord_Nomolous
What happened to Katie Holmes?

I was just going to ask that! :lol:

I am SO looking forward to the next Batman installment! I can't wait to see Heath Ledger as the Joker, I think he'll be great! :D

guinevere_wood October 11th, 2007 9:57 pm

Gary Oldman said (and I'm paraphrasing) that Heath Ledger would knock everyone "out of the ballpark", that's how good he is.

The proof is in the trailer.

"People will die. I'm a man of my word...*commences evil cackle*"

His psycho laughing at the end gave me chills.

GodricHollow October 12th, 2007 3:04 pm

Holmes withdrew due to scheduling conflicts. Otherwise, this looks promising. Liking the Batcycle too. Is it just me, or does Nolan have a thing for big wheels?

guinevere_wood October 13th, 2007 12:35 am

It just looks cool.

Loved the tumbler in Batman Begins. Looking forward to the Batcycle in The Dark Knight.

Any thoughts on Christian Bale? Heath Ledger?

ComicBookWorm October 15th, 2007 8:53 am

Katie Holmes was tepid. I'm not sorry to see her go.

guinevere_wood October 15th, 2007 10:24 am

Honestly, I wasn't either. Her performance was disappointing.

kuroi_shi October 16th, 2007 5:32 am

... I'm a bit of a batman fanatic, so I can't wait to see it ^^;; I'm glad that the same people are back for #2 ^^;
I really hope that the movies don't end up all kiddish like the other ones did =(

guinevere_wood October 16th, 2007 8:31 am

They won't.

Christopher Nolan has expressed his desire (on several occasions) to keep the story line of the new Batman films close to the story line of The Dark Knight series.

LoveWeasleys October 19th, 2007 4:06 am

Okay first of all Gary Oldman--Lt. James Gordon :drool:

Okay now that that is out of the way :lol:

Wow I think Heath is a great pick for the Joker...he has the perfect smile! It will be fun to see him as a villian.

I really liked Bale as Batman. I liked how "Begins" was more realistic than the four that are out there. Batman by far is my favorite superhero and I am really looking forward to this move.

Maggie Gyllenhaal--Rachel Dawes ==== wait isn't that Katie Homls' part? I would rather see her come back and play that role :( I liked her in that role, but maybe it was because I was a huge Dawsen's Creek fan :lol:

I would love it if Cillian came back again, but it seems by the cast that they have enough villans or prospiring villans. I will be interested to see how they set up Harvey's character...

Okay I also would love to see Posin Ivy at some point. She is my favorite villian. Why was there such a gap between releases? it feels like it took awhile for this one to come out :shrug: Also do you think they will have Robin in this set of Batman movies?

Quote:

They have only released one trailer to date, but that one trailer looks (or should I say, sounds) absolutely spectacular. Heath Ledger will not disappoint, according to the cast and crew.
Do you have a link to the trailer? I would love to see it :D

guinevere_wood October 22nd, 2007 8:30 am

Quote:

Christopher Nolan has expressed his desire (on several occasions) to keep the story line of the new Batman films close to the story line of The Dark Knight series.
With this in mind, I think it is safe to say that Robin will not be in the new Batman films.

And sure, here's the link:

Batman II: The Dark Knight

LoveWeasleys October 22nd, 2007 3:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by guinevere_wood (Post 4813597)

Okay I feel really dumb now, because I love Batman, but I am not up on the comics...what is the Dark Knight series? Was that a cartoon or a comic book?

I am fine with Robin not being there, but I still would love to see Poison Ivy, was she in the Dark Knight Series?

Thanks for the link too! :D

GodricHollow October 22nd, 2007 3:47 pm

Comic.

This from Wikipedia (it's refferenced).

Future

Nolan explained that as long as he is directing, he is not including Robin in the franchise because Christian Bale was still portraying a "young Batman", which meant Robin was "still in a crib somewhere". Nolan jokingly listed Frankie Muniz as a potential choice.[15] In addition, Nolan considered the Penguin difficult to portray on film, explaining, "There are certain characters that are easier to mesh with the more real take on Batman we're doing."[16]

Kate Beckinsale has expressed interest in playing Catwoman.[17] while David Tennant wishes to play the Riddler.[18]

David Tennant. The Riddler. Where's my ticket?

LoveWeasleys October 22nd, 2007 4:03 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodricHollow (Post 4820630)
Kate Beckinsale has expressed interest in playing Catwoman.[17] while David Tennant wishes to play the Riddler.[18]

Kate would be great at Catwoman. I still love how Carrey portrayed The Riddler, but David Tennant would be awesome! So, is this just going to be a three movie series or do you think they will make more?

GodricHollow October 22nd, 2007 4:14 pm

I don't think they've commissioned a third one, so as of now it could be a trilogy, it could be tons (personally I'd say the latter, Begins was a reboot, not a prequel).

guinevere_wood October 27th, 2007 2:16 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodricHollow (Post 4820630)

:wow:
I would pay to see David Tennant as the Riddler. He's good at playing weird and crazy people. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 (Post 4820619)
I am fine with Robin not being there, but I still would love to see Poison Ivy, was she in the Dark Knight Series?

Thanks for the link too! :D

Wow, I honestly cannot answer that question. I don't recall her being in the comic, but that doesn't mean she won't be in the moves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 (Post 4820640)
Kate would be great at Catwoman. I still love how Carrey portrayed The Riddler, but David Tennant would be awesome! So, is this just going to be a three movie series or do you think they will make more?

As far as I know based on my information and knowledge of the comics, they could only do really 4-5. Here's how it would work:

*Note: they have a tendency to give a slight clue as to who the next villian will be. In Batman Begins, we saw the Joker card. I'm thinking in the third Batman film (again, this is speculation), it will be Two-Face, because they have Harvey Drent in the second film.

1. Scarecrow and Raz-al-Ghul

2. The Joker

3. Two-Face

4. Poison Ivy and another enemy (Riddler or Catwoman)

5. Other villian (Riddler or Catwoman)

Fawkesfan1 November 4th, 2007 10:00 pm

Wow :wow: -- that's cool, I'm glad (almost) everyone is back on board for this movie :clap:!! I'm looking forward to seeing it, Heath Ledger will be good as the Joker -- but no offense, Jack Nicholson's take on him will still be my favorite ;) :D!

LoveWeasleys November 4th, 2007 10:11 pm

I just watched Batman Begins and I have forgotten how much I liked it! Although it did leave me with some questions for the next one.

1. Bruce Wayne has a tattered image at the end of the last one, I wonder if him and his Batman side will continue to conflict or if he will find a way to better his image with the public.

2. Gordon is a Lieutenant now, so does that mean by the end of the next movie he will finally be made Police Chief or are their more steps for him before that?

3. With the rebuilding of the house and cave, I wonder if that will be done in the beginning of the The Dark Knight or if there will still be work to do.

4. There does seem the possibility for Dr. Crane to be coming back, it seemed they left the door wide open for his character.

After watching Begins again, I am so excited for the next one. I can't wait till we get more information and trailers.

Hysteria November 5th, 2007 9:04 am

Im a bit worried about Heath Ledger as The Joker... I havent seen Brokeback Mountain but quite a few of his films before that and Ive never been able to take him seriously (though given The Joker isnt exactly as up and down as Batman) as an actor.. so hopefully he'll pull through.
Also hoping its better than the last Batman which I found a bit disappointing but I loved the bit at the end with the Joker card ;) that was a nice touch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodricHollow

Wow now thats a movie I'd see! :tu: Kate would be an excellent Catwoman.

guinevere_wood December 6th, 2007 3:30 pm

Sorry, I'm not being a braggart or anything here. I just happen to be an expert on Batman, the films and the comics. So actually like answering the questions. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 (Post 4834000)
I just watched Batman Begins and I have forgotten how much I liked it! Although it did leave me with some questions for the next one.

1. Bruce Wayne has a tattered image at the end of the last one, I wonder if him and his Batman side will continue to conflict or if he will find a way to better his image with the public.

I doubt it. Batman is the anti-hero of the comic book world, and he's never been that great at developing public relations as the dark vigilante of Gotham. So probably not.

Quote:

2. Gordon is a Lieutenant now, so does that mean by the end of the next movie he will finally be made Police Chief or are their more steps for him before that?

I really don't know, but again, I doubt it. Batman never really was on good terms with the police.

Quote:

3. With the rebuilding of the house and cave, I wonder if that will be done in the beginning of the The Dark Knight or if there will still be work to do.

I personally think that the rebuilding would be done by that time.

Quote:

4. There does seem the possibility for Dr. Crane to be coming back, it seemed they left the door wide open for his character.

Very good question. In the comic books, Scarecrow does join up with the Joker, but he (Crane) eventually dies. They did leave the door wide open for him in the film, and imdb.com (my resource for all film information) has not yet reported him as being on the film, or being off of it.

Phrozenone December 10th, 2007 6:45 am

So have you guys seen the new pictures of the Joker? There are ALOT of them now and I think he looks pretty cool.

I hate how they're already dogging Ledger because Jack Nicholson was amazing in the part but I say give the guy a chance. Jack wasn't the first Joker and it's not fair to the character for people not to see another interpretation of it.

Altjeringa December 16th, 2007 5:59 am

The Dark Knight

The sequel to Batman Begins is currently scheduled for a July 18th, 2008 release. Christian Bale once again stars as Batman, Maggie Gyllenhaal replaces Katie Holmes as ADA Rachel Dawes, Aaron Eckhart plays District Attorney Harvey Dent, and last but definitely not least Heath Ledger plays that psychopathic clown known as The Joker.

Picture of Batman and The Joker
International teaser poster
Joker posters (The second one especially is brilliant.)

A trailer is expected to officially debut online sometime within the next few hours. Having already seen it, I feel that I can confidently say that the film looks excellent, and Heath Leder is going kick butt as The Joker. There's nothing at all campy about his performance. He's dark, sinister, twisted, and creepy as all out, exactly how The Joker was meant to be. I can't wait!

potterposse December 16th, 2007 4:12 pm

The official trailer? Really??? I am dying to see it!!!! I've been waiting forever!

Fawkesfan1 December 16th, 2007 6:46 pm

I saw it and the movie looks like it's going to be awesome :D!!

I can't wait for it to come out in theaters :clap:!!

Tlx December 16th, 2007 9:45 pm

I saw the trailer for it Friday when I went to I Am Legend.

We still have to wait until July 18, 2008 for it to debut in theaters.

I_Am_The_Batman December 17th, 2007 12:37 am

I'm about the biggest Batman fan. It looks awesome.

Altjeringa December 17th, 2007 2:38 am

The trailer is up!

LoveWeasleys December 17th, 2007 3:09 pm

:clap: That looks spectacular!!!!!! :clap:

I could not even tell that that was Heath Ledger, it looks like he is going to do a brilliant job. I love his makeup and his voice it is perfect, creepy, and dead on.

Aside from the glasses Gary Oldman is :drool: and :love:.

I love Bale as Batman! Gosh, I wish we didn't have to wait till next summer.

Thanks for sharing the trailer!

Altjeringa December 18th, 2007 12:11 am

Indeed! I admit I was a little skeptical about Ledger at first, but now I'm totally sold! He sounds and looks *******' scary, not at all campy or silly. He could pass for a real psychopath. Can't wait!

IenjoyAcidPops December 19th, 2007 7:43 am

Okay, here's how I'd describe the trailer: WOW. After my first viewing, that was literally all I could say. WOW.

The only reservation I've ever had about this film so far was regarding the look of The Joker; not Heath Ledger's casting or the film's interpretation, just the design. I'm still not sold, but Ledger looks like he'll be really amazing in the part. I mean, the laugh actually sent chills down my spine! The movie as a whole looks stunning, too; I mean, I'm getting every indication that it may actually live up to the astronomical expectations I assigned it after Batman Begins.

So, yeah, it was a pretty good trailer :D. Is it July yet?

Wab December 19th, 2007 8:05 am

Quote:

In comic continuity (which has nothing to do with the films) Gordon eventually is named commissioner.

But if they are going to embrace the printed mythos DK movies will tend to stick to early years.

LoveWeasleys December 19th, 2007 1:30 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops (Post 4872244)
The only reservation I've ever had about this film so far was regarding the look of The Joker; not Heath Ledger's casting or the film's interpretation, just the design. I'm still not sold, but Ledger looks like he'll be really amazing in the part.

After watching the trailer for the second time, The Joker really reminded me of Brandon Lee in the movie The Crow. There was one shot in particuler where he was standing in the middle of the street and that just screamed Brandon Lee to me.

guinevere_wood December 20th, 2007 10:11 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wab (Post 4872251)
In comic continuity (which has nothing to do with the films) Gordon eventually is named commissioner.

But if they are going to embrace the printed mythos DK movies will tend to stick to early years.

In the newer trailer, the Joker refers to someone, presumably Gordon, as 'Commissioner'.

I would also like to correct my previous theory that I thought Wayne Manor would be rebuilt. Bruce Wayne will take up his residence in a downtown penthouse.

LoveWeasleys December 20th, 2007 2:34 pm

I was also a little surprised that they didn't have a clip of Harvey Dent in the trailer. I suppose they are really going to sell the joker and maybe keep the ending of the movie a surprise. I am guessing that something will happen to Dent at the end??

Quote:

Originally Posted by guinevere_wood (Post 4873546)
I would also like to correct my previous theory that I thought Wayne Manor would be rebuilt. Bruce Wayne will take up his residence in a downtown penthouse.

But what about the easy access to the bat cave? :shrug:

guinevere_wood December 20th, 2007 10:03 pm

He will be using a downtown parking garage.

Phrozenone January 22nd, 2008 11:39 pm

Just wanted to say R.I.P. to Heath Ledger. This looks to have been his final role and from the looks of the trailer he's done it justice. :sad::sad:

mariebeth83 January 23rd, 2008 12:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrozenone (Post 4907717)
Just wanted to say R.I.P. to Heath Ledger. This looks to have been his final role and from the looks of the trailer he's done it justice. :sad::sad:

My sentiments exactly.

ComicBookWorm January 23rd, 2008 1:39 am

It's going to make watching the movie rather creepy.

imacheeto January 23rd, 2008 2:24 am

cant wait!!! Heath Ledger died tho...:(

permafrost January 23rd, 2008 2:46 am

Do you think they'll release it, or withhold it in respect to Heath Ledger? I've heard they've done that before with people that have died before their movies came out.

tarachristwen January 23rd, 2008 2:54 am

RIP, heath ledger....:sad:

DarkDaysAhead January 23rd, 2008 3:34 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by permafrost (Post 4907939)
Do you think they'll release it, or withhold it in respect to Heath Ledger? I've heard they've done that before with people that have died before their movies came out.

I believe that's what they did with The Crow when Brandon Lee died.

Poor Heath... :(

Tonks January 23rd, 2008 3:38 am

This is a terrible thing :(

We have a thread dedicated to today's events here RIP Heath Ledger

Please discuss his death and your thoughts there.

Thank you.

Wab January 23rd, 2008 4:03 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by permafrost (Post 4907939)

It'll be released as scheduled.

The difference with Brandon Lee was that Lee was killed before The Crow had finished shooting.

Hysteria January 24th, 2008 3:57 am

I was thinking they'll release it as planned but maybe put a "in memory of Heath Ledger" thing at the end which would be a nice addition.

guinevere_wood January 24th, 2008 5:53 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hysteria (Post 4908807)
I was thinking they'll release it as planned but maybe put a "in memory of Heath Ledger" thing at the end which would be a nice addition.

That would be nice, indeed. :agree:

sllagnire January 24th, 2008 8:29 pm

I wasn't going to see this. I'm not a huge fan of Batman films (although I did see the last one). But I think I will see it at some point now. I want to see his last film. It is so sad that he will never be in another film again.

Jezebel January 25th, 2008 2:45 am

I'm very excited to see this film. I watched Batman Begins the other night and had forgotten how much I loved it!
Christian Bale is the best Batman ever. I grew up with Batman. I watched the tv show and all the movies, and I really think they finally got it right with Christian.

Heath Ledger was an odd choice for me at first, but after seeing some pictures of him as the Joker I'm really excited. His performance is going to be really good I think. It's going to be a completely different Joker than we've seen before.
He put so much effort and work into the role, and I know he did it justice.

Hysteria January 25th, 2008 3:16 am

The Dark Knight trainers IMO are really awful. The only good bits for me are bits with The Joker (I had my doubts but it looks like Heath Ledger really pulled it off great!)... the rest is just cliche, normal batman. I guess The Joker is a breath of fresh air.

Jezebel January 25th, 2008 2:06 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hysteria (Post 4909592)
The Dark Knight trainers IMO are really awful. The only good bits for me are bits with The Joker (I had my doubts but it looks like Heath Ledger really pulled it off great!)... the rest is just cliche, normal batman. I guess The Joker is a breath of fresh air.

I think it would be defeating the point if Batman wasn't cliche. I mean, he is a "super hero"/comic icon. It wouldn't make sense to change him. The villains, yes, but not Batman.

Israely_Wizard January 25th, 2008 2:19 pm

Before Ledgers' death, Jack Nickolson said he would have liked to play the role of the Joker again.
Wonder what he's saying now?

Wizard_Pupil January 25th, 2008 3:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Israely_Wizard (Post 4909950)
Before Ledgers' death, Jack Nickolson said he would have liked to play the role of the Joker again.
Wonder what he's saying now?

Jack Nicholson said "I warned him" when he was asked about Heath´s death.
There´s the video about that, by the way.
But everybody know this, for sure it´s already discussed in the topic about Ledger´s death XD

To be honest, the most interesting thing for me to watch The Dark Night was Heath´s performance of The Joker.
I am not a fan of this new Batman movies, I was a fan, though, in the 90s, of Batman movies. But Hetah as The Joker really looks cool and I like that.

LoveWeasleys January 25th, 2008 3:49 pm

Quote:

There are more than just one!! :wow:

Could you link them? :D

Hysteria January 25th, 2008 4:23 pm

I just searched on You Tube... theres one full trailer I think and three teasers.. that I found anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaIR9dAZRR0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgOi9sXSY6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWw0ov-cAUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWfb...eature=related

I understand that Batman has to be consistent and cliche but it is a little tiresome watching him pull the same expression, same tone, same everything. Admittedly I am more a fan of the old movies/tv show and the comics but I honestly thing that Ledger will outshine Bale in this movie by far. The Joker is such a great character where as Batman, while being important isn't nearly as interesting.

LoveWeasleys January 25th, 2008 4:52 pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hysteria (Post 4910010)
I just searched on You Tube... theres one full trailer I think and three teasers.. that I found anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaIR9dAZRR0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgOi9sXSY6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWw0ov-cAUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWfb...eature=related

I understand that Batman has to be consistent and cliche but it is a little tiresome watching him pull the same expression, same tone, same everything. Admittedly I am more a fan of the old movies/tv show and the comics but I honestly thing that Ledger will outshine Bale in this movie by far. The Joker is such a great character where as Batman, while being important isn't nearly as interesting.

Thanks for the links! Are they all from the studio or are some of them fan made? It seemed the longer one was legit while the others were put together by fans.

Wab January 25th, 2008 5:34 pm

A thing that bothers me from what I've seen is that the Joker's face looks like make-up whereas the proper comic book Joker's face looks like that without make-up.

Jezebel January 26th, 2008 1:35 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hysteria (Post 4910010)
The Joker is such a great character where as Batman, while being important isn't nearly as interesting.

The villains are always more interesting *nods*.

@Wab: I actually really like this new look they gave the Joker. It's very edgy and a heck of a lot more intense and scary. I think it fits the character better.

Hysteria January 26th, 2008 4:33 am

Quote:

Thanks for the links! Are they all from the studio or are some of them fan made? It seemed the longer one was legit while the others were put together by fans.
Cant say I know... I think the Alfred VO one might be fan-made but not sure about the others...

I like the new look of the Joker too. I liked him in the comics but for the movie I don't think it would be as effective using that make-up style. I know it sort of worked for Jack Nicholson but I prefer this new approach.

TheScarecrow January 26th, 2008 8:29 am

Quote:

Cant say I know... I think the Alfred VO one might be fan-made but not sure about the others...

I like the new look of the Joker too. I liked him in the comics but for the movie I don't think it would be as effective using that make-up style. I know it sort of worked for Jack Nicholson but I prefer this new approach.
There are only two TDK trailers, the one online here:

www.atasteforthetheatrical.com (click "download now") and the teaser with the exploding logo.

There's also a ten minute "prologue" for the film that was released in IMAX that can be found online in poor quality if you search hard enough.

Quote:

A thing that bothers me from what I've seen is that the Joker's face looks like make-up whereas the proper comic book Joker's face looks like that without make-up.
Don't be so sure. While it does look like he wears makeup, it's ambiguous as to how much makeup he wears. You'll notice in all the shots of him in prison in the trailer, the white, black and red are still there but they're much more "untidy". It's very unlikely he'd be allowed makeup in jail.

Quote:

The Joker is such a great character where as Batman, while being important isn't nearly as interesting.
How so? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious as to what you mean.

I always liked Batman the most out of all the "superheroes" because he wasn't a superhero. He's just a guy. I like it he has that mortality. I also like how he walks a fine moral line. He's always teetering on the edge of falling from wanting justice to wanting revenge.

Quote:

Bruce needs to have a bad public image to prevent people from making the connection between him and Batman. If Bruce continues to act like a nonchalant "playboy", no one will ever think he would be so dedicated to something like Batman. There are more Bruce "antics' in TDK.

Quote:

Borrowing from comic books in the 70's, Bruce has relocated to a penthouse apartment in the city. A substitute 'batcave' is underneath the building (I think Wayne actually owns the building itself).

Quote:

He's back. The details aren't great at the moment, but it is beleived he is one of the many gangs fighting over Falcone's empire.

Quote:

Okay I feel really dumb now, because I love Batman, but I am not up on the comics...what is the Dark Knight series? Was that a cartoon or a comic book?

I think the poster who said that has their wires crossed a bit. Nolan's series is actually mostly based on the graphic novels by Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb. They are The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Haunted Knight. Poison Ivy does have a role in them - but she won't ever appear in a Chris Nolan Batman movie, he prefers the realistic characters.

The books depict a battle between the traditional crime element and the freaks. Most of the villains Nolan has used (with the exception of Ra's Al Ghul) have been in these books. They feature The Joker, Two-Face, Catwoman, The Riddler, The Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, Poison Ivy, The Penguin and lesser known villains, such as Solomon Grundy.

They also feature the Falcone and Maroni crime families (found in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight respectively).

In addition to this, Nolan also draws inspiration from different comic books. For instance, for the Joker he is looking at the first appearance of The Joker (where he acts as a killer who announces his crimes - several things have been directly adapted from this into the movie), The Joker's Five Way Revenge (where he seeks revenge against the people who have betrayed him - he seems to be targetting the various mobs in Gotham in the movie version for this), The Killing Joke (the book which pretty much characterised him and gave him an origin) and The Dark Knight Returns (which is where I beleive the original poster got confused).

As for villain bets, there are three known "costumed" villains in The Dark Knight: The Joker, The Scarecrow and another which it would be a spoiler to name.

Catwoman has been rumoured to appear alongside Two-Face in the third one, and The Joker was supposed to make a return as well - although he will probably be removed from plans in light of Heath Ledger's sad passing.

Hysteria January 26th, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks for clearing up the trailer thing.. I guess that partially explains why they're so bad :lol:

Quote:

How so? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious as to what you mean.
I don't know... I just find Batman (in the movies) very 1 dimensional and uninteresting. In the comics he's got more personality but the last movie I especially disliked him. He is a good doer but I just didn't like him.
Spiderman for example. He is a hero (given he has 'powers') and in the movies I found him very likable because he is human. He acts like a normal person. I'm not sure if it's how the movie was written or the acting but I found Batman to be a very boring character with few human qualities.

LoveWeasleys January 26th, 2008 2:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheScarecrow (Post 4910628)
I always liked Batman the most out of all the "superheroes" because he wasn't a superhero. He's just a guy. I like it he has that mortality. I also like how he walks a fine moral line. He's always teetering on the edge of falling from wanting justice to wanting revenge.

That is exactly why I like him so much too. I also can't help but go for the "Man in Black" :lol:

Quote:

Bruce needs to have a bad public image to prevent people from making the connection between him and Batman. If Bruce continues to act like a nonchalant "playboy", no one will ever think he would be so dedicated to something like Batman. There are more Bruce "antics' in TDK.

I understand this but at times it is hard to watch because you know that is not who he truely is. I like the conflict though.

Quote:

He's back. The details aren't great at the moment, but it is beleived he is one of the many gangs fighting over Falcone's empire.

Sweet.

Quote:

Poison Ivy does have a role in them - but she won't ever appear in a Chris Nolan Batman movie, he prefers the realistic characters.

:( She's my favorite.

Quote:

As for villain bets, there are three known "costumed" villains in The Dark Knight: The Joker, The Scarecrow and another which it would be a spoiler to name.

Could you put the spoiler name in the spoiler tags? :)

Quote:

Catwoman has been rumoured to appear alongside Two-Face in the third one, and The Joker was supposed to make a return as well - although he will probably be removed from plans in light of Heath Ledger's sad passing.

Catwoman annoys me. I can't say why, maybe I need to read the books. But, I was never a big fan of her.

Thanks for your very informative post TheScarecrow!!! :clap:

Wab January 26th, 2008 4:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 (Post 4910748)
Catwoman annoys me. I can't say why, maybe I need to read the books. But, I was never a big fan of her.

Catwoman can be a bit blah as she is the only major character of Batman's rogues' gallery who is simply incarcerated rather than sent to Arkham Asylum.

I'd like to see Bane but he really needs a movie of his own as he is not well known to the general public and his treatment in one of the previous movie series was a travesty.

Jezebel January 26th, 2008 6:22 pm

Quote:

Exactly! This is why Batman is the greatest. He's so much more complex and interesting than any of the other superheroes. I love that he's a real guy fighting for justice. Not some immortal superhuman strength guy wearing tights and a speedo.

You're right though he does walk he does walk that thin line between fighting for justice and fighting for revenge. I love that complexity though.

LoveWeasleys January 26th, 2008 8:17 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wab (Post 4910795)
I'd like to see Bane but he really needs a movie of his own as he is not well known to the general public and his treatment in one of the previous movie series was a travesty.

As the sidekick of Posion Ivy? :lol:

TheScarecrow January 27th, 2008 4:08 am

Quote:

While Michelle Pfieffer's performance as Catwoman in BR was near perfect, the way the character was written (as with Penguin) was just completely off.

Burton implied heavily that Catwoman had super-powers (which she doesn't at all in the comics) and she was a crazy lady on the hunt for revenge against the person (well...eventually people) who killed her.

In the comics Selina is quite sane. There have been many different portrayals of her - but in all of them she has been a real "grey" area in terms of good/bad. In many instances, her and Batman have acted as allies only to turn against eachother or go off on seperate paths because of their different morals. In many instances, Batman has allowed Catwoman to go free when he should have arrested her.

If Nolan ever put her on film, there are many avenues he could take. He could take the rich socialite Selina who does it for the fun of it, he could take the Selina who grew up on the street and was a prostitute, or he could take the Selina who has a personal grudge against the mob (which is the most likely, I beleive).

Quote:

I understand this but at times it is hard to watch because you know that is not who he truely is. I like the conflict though.
It can be - and it can be hard to relate to him because he seems like such a jerk, but it only adds another dimension to the burden he has. Rather than facing the challenge of holding up one persona like most of these characters, Bruce has to try and sustain two of them. The only time he can ever be himself is when he's at home, or around the very few people who are close to him.

Quote:

Absolutely. I can't see any logic in taking a villain who's supposed to be the smartest and the strongest and turning him into a "pitbull" for another villain.

It makes no sense at all :lol:.

Altjeringa January 28th, 2008 12:30 am

From what I've heard, The Joker applies the makeup once and then never takes it off again (Doesn't wash his hair either). As a result, it becomes nastier and more rotten as the film progresses.

I actually like this new take. I think it's interesting and adds to the overall insanity of the character - I mean, how nuts do you have to be to never wash off clown makeup and let it rot into your skin?

RIP Heath Ledger. :upset:

stacyINC March 1st, 2008 11:52 am

So sad about Heath but his performance looks to be nothing short of Classic!!
I really like Christian Bale as Batman he really gives a great performance very gritty and realistic. I love the way Nolan directs the pictures so raw and tough.

jordmundt6 March 21st, 2008 7:06 pm

I guess I have Nicholson too much on the brain. I always think of the Joker as more polished--nuts, but with a sick sense of humor and a really inventive mind that lead to some really complex and intriguing face-offs with the Dark Knight. Maybe Nicholson's portrayal of Frank Costello in the recent "The Departed" might fit better--don't know, I'm not a comics buff. From what little I've seen of Ledger's Joker, he looks like an escapee from the institution that Ras Al Gul's boys infiltrated in the last film--it feels like mostly desperate mania and not a lot of panache.

MG is a potentially much stronger choice for a female lead. Too bad they didn't cast a Vicki Vale.

If they make a third or fourth film--I'd like to see the Catwoman as described in previous posts (either as the socialite who thrill-seeks, or better yet, as the gal with the grudge against the mob). I have no idea WHO would get cast in that role. Any suggestions?

With regard to Bane--as someone who is not now, nor has ever been a comics buff--I don't know what Bane is actually supposed to be. I will state that the horrible treatment his character got in Batman and Robin doesn't surprise me--I mean they stuck John Glover in a wimpy cackling role and that's a guy who did an excellent job playing "The Devil" a few years later on Brimstone.

GodricHollow March 21st, 2008 7:18 pm

Catwoman dies and is mysteriously brought back via some cats (with little to no explanation as far as I know) in Returns (I haven't read the comic books). Hardly fits with the Begins-universe, I think.

Bane (having only seen The Batman and Batman and Robin, which is the only movie I've ever fallen asleep in the theatre), I'm not sure on. Performance enhancing drugs fit, but how do you get the brainless thug from B&R out of people's heads and stay away from the standard superstrong Rhino-esque thug?

I'd like to see the Penguin and Riddler, though, frankly, you've got another Ledger/Nicholson issue, cause I think De Vito and Carrey's performances as thier characters are sublime.

And it's good to hear that Robin will not appear, Chris O'Donnell is rubbish as the guy.

Wab March 21st, 2008 7:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordmundt6 (Post 4962829)
With regard to Bane--as someone who is not now, nor has ever been a comics buff--I don't know what Bane is actually supposed to be.

In comics continuity, Bane is the best and brightest. A genius driven a bit batty by Venom, he is the only one to beat Batman. Thus the whole tedious Knightfalls story arc.

jordmundt6 March 22nd, 2008 4:45 pm

Ah, he's great--but he sucks the life out of comics--wonderful.:lol:

I think you could do straight-up Penguin and Two-Face and not run into Nicholson-esque problems. DeVito did a good job with what they asked him to do, but--as already stated, his Penguin and the Penguin in other continua look nothing alike.

The cat-resurrection thing seems to be Tim Burton's brainchild and they could just ignore it if they got an actress to give her all to the role as portrayed in a different arc.

PureBloodGirl March 25th, 2008 2:05 am

Just gotta say one thing Heath Ledger's(R. I. P. I loved him)Joker laugh is like Nicholson's. I think he's gonna make a good Joker. Me and my dad are gona go see it in July. I think Christian Bale is a great actor and an awsome batman. Who knew he's actually british because he doesn't have the accent.

goonie102 April 6th, 2008 11:58 pm

This Looks Like An Awsome Movie Can't Wait For It To Come Out, It's Really Sad This Had To Be Heath Ledger's Last Movie I Really Liked Him As Actor And His Death Was So Sad But He Will Always Be Remebered In Everyone Heart

I_Am_The_Batman May 4th, 2008 10:51 pm

This will be the best movie of the year.

Fawkesfan1 May 4th, 2008 11:03 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_Am_The_Batman (Post 5014424)

Yea maybe... but I tend to think that it will be one of the best coming out this year. There are quite a few good movies coming out this year. It's going to be one busy movie season this year :rockon: :).

PureBloodGirl May 4th, 2008 11:05 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_Am_The_Batman (Post 5014424)

Oh yeah!! It could even be better than HBP, but we will have to wait and see. I wonder if the Dark Knight is going to be better than the first Batman Begins movie. I have to say though Heath Ledger looks like he made a lot better of a Joker than the original Joker in the Batman movies that I think Tim Burton directed.

Fawkesfan1 May 4th, 2008 11:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl (Post 5014455)
Oh yeah!! It could even be better than HBP, but we will have to wait and see. I wonder if the Dark Knight is going to be better than the first Batman Begins movie. I have to say though Heath Ledger looks like he made a lot better of a Joker than the original Joker in the Batman movies that I think Tim Burton directed.

He may have, but it's a wait and see type thing for me. Jack Nicholson did one heck of a job playing the Joker... but I'm sure that Heath did a good job continuing the legend though.

Also, I just saw the new trailer for it... it was just incredible, it gave me chills! :)

Why So Serious trailer

ComicBookWorm May 5th, 2008 10:31 pm

Well, I thought that Burton and Nicholson both directed and played the joker too broadly. Like most Burton efforts it went way overboard. I'm looking forward to the Dark Knight as serious approach.

PureBloodGirl May 6th, 2008 12:19 am

I just saw the new Dark Knight trailer!!!!! It is awsome!!!! I saw the original trailer a couple of months ago and it was great, but this, oh my gosh, the just makes me want to see it even more!! You can see the brand new trailer here at The Fan.

I thought that Nicholson was a great Joker, but I think that Ledger is gonna make an even greater one. It looks like he's a lot more violent(personally I don't think Nicholson's performance was all that violent to fit the Joker's personality).

As for Michael Keaton as Batman in the other movies, well is a good actor, but he didn't make all that great of a Batman to me. Christian Bale on the other hand is perfect! You couldn't ask for a better person to play Batman.

This is deffinitly my #1 must see movie of the year. Half-Blood Prince is second. Right when the Dark Knight comes out in theaters I'm going to try and see it right away. Then right when it comes out on DVD I'm getting it right away.

Fawkesfan1 May 6th, 2008 12:33 am

Yea, he might... he certainly does a good job playing him.

Keaton, did ok as Batman... but as you said, Christian Bale is doing a good job playing him, and is suited for the role. I can't agree more -- he plays the perfect Batman.

This, too is my #1 must see movie of the year, followed closely by the new X-files movie and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

PureBloodGirl May 6th, 2008 4:14 am

I am just so excited about this movie. It's to bad we're about two months away from it being out in the theaters. I hate having to wait for a movie that I am so excited about seeing to come out.

crookshanks1177 May 7th, 2008 9:29 pm

Oh the preview looks great. I saw the trailer when I went to watch Iron Man. I think Heath Ledger will do great. I will always love Jack Nicholson's portrayal, but I think Heath Ledger will be able to show us other sides of this charecter. I'm kind of sad that this is the last we will see of Heath Ledger, I've followed his career so-to-speak, and I've always enjoyed his movies, I think there would have been a lot more to see from him.

Also, I have a question, is Maggie Gygenhaal (sp?) picking up Katie Holme's charecter, or is she going to play another charecter all together? I was excited to see that Maggie was in this movie!

PureBloodGirl May 7th, 2008 10:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crookshanks1177 (Post 5017652)
Oh the preview looks great. I saw the trailer when I went to watch Iron Man. I think Heath Ledger will do great. I will always love Jack Nicholson's portrayal, but I think Heath Ledger will be able to show us other sides of this charecter. I'm kind of sad that this is the last we will see of Heath Ledger, I've followed his career so-to-speak, and I've always enjoyed his movies, I think there would have been a lot more to see from him.

Also, I have a question, is Maggie Gygenhaal (sp?) picking up Katie Holme's charecter, or is she going to play another charecter all together? I was excited to see that Maggie was in this movie!

Yes Maggie Gygenhaal is taking over Katie Holme's part as Rachel.

Edit: I read somewhere yesterday that Christian Bale will not do another Batman Begins movie if Christopher Nolan does not direct it. So hopefully Nolan does direct it if there's going to be a third one because these movies are just the kind of movies that I can't get enough of.

Guardian Angel May 26th, 2008 5:45 pm

I have been looking forward to seeing this movie since I've first seen the trailer for it, which was, without a doubt, unbelievably interesting, exciting and definitely intriguing...

And, ever since poor Heath died, whenever I'd see the trailer with him, I'd get teary eyed...

So, a couple of nights ago, I dreamt that I was at home, watching this movie on DVD. And everything felt so real, as though I really were watching it - Heath was just the way he is in the trailer. And suddenly I felt sick. it hurt so much watching him play such a nasty and disturbing role, knowing that he is no longer among the living. And in my dream, I couldn't bear it, so I turned off the DVD player...

... So, now I'm thinking - will I be able to see it once it comes to the cinema? Much as I want to, who knows if I'll be able to take it?

Wab May 30th, 2008 6:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl (Post 5017763)
Yes Maggie Gygenhaal is taking over Katie Holme's part as Rachel.

Which is another reason to put it on my must see list.

Saw the trailer the other day before IJ4. Looks so fine although I wish they hadn't done away with Anton Furst's Gotham from the Burton film.

PureBloodGirl May 31st, 2008 12:10 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wab (Post 5041258)
Which is another reason to put it on my must see list.

Saw the trailer the other day before IJ4. Looks so fine although I wish they hadn't done away with Anton Furst's Gotham from the Burton film.

What's Anoton Furst's Gotham? This Gotham City is shot in Chicago, (yeah! if they do a third I can see it filmed!) in studios, and computer generated. I really like this Gotham.

GodricHollow May 31st, 2008 12:35 am

Set designer on one of the Burton films I'd guess.

Wab May 31st, 2008 1:59 pm

Anton Furst designed the Gotham used in the Burton Batman's movies. The designs were later incorporated into the books.

PureBloodGirl June 6th, 2008 2:10 am

Does anyone know that it really isn't called Batman Begins 2: The Dark Knight? It's really called The Dark Knight. Isn't that strange. They changed the tittle. Does anyone know why?

GodricHollow June 6th, 2008 2:25 am

No they didn't. Batman Begins was the title of the first one, The Dark Knights has always been the title of the second one. Batman Begins isn't the overarching title like, say Star Wars, it's just the title of the first film.

PureBloodGirl June 6th, 2008 3:13 am

Oh...I'll be editing my signiture then.

SoulOfRebirth June 19th, 2008 8:52 am

I didn't see the first one, but I might see this one. Mainly for this line:

"You either die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

I don't know why, but that hit me pretty hard.

PureBloodGirl June 20th, 2008 9:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulOfRebirth (Post 5062796)
I didn't see the first one, but I might see this one. Mainly for this line:

"You either die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

I don't know why, but that hit me pretty hard.

You should see it, I don't think you have to see it though to see The Dark Knight and understand everything like in Harry Potter.

That line is one of my favorites in the trailer. My first favorite is from Alfred, "Some men can't be reasoned with, some men just want to see the world burn." I don't know why, but that's my absolute favorite in the teaser.

For anyone who has comcast On Demand go into it and you'll find a section for The Dark Knight. It has the trailers and a whole bunch of behind the scenes.

stacyINC June 27th, 2008 11:07 am

I must admit the latest trailers for this BORE me.I was so excited after that second trailer with the Joker. My goodness was that exciting....But now they have sort of slowed down. I will still see the film and I hope it is good.

PureBloodGirl June 27th, 2008 10:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stacyINC (Post 5069952)
I must admit the latest trailers for this BORE me.I was so excited after that second trailer with the Joker. My goodness was that exciting....But now they have sort of slowed down. I will still see the film and I hope it is good.

Yes but previews on tv are always second or third rate to the trailers. This is gonna be awsome, trust me!

Beatifically July 1st, 2008 5:16 am

I'm so excited to see this movie! :D Batman Begins is a fantastic film (it's definitely one of my favs) and, according to the critics, TDK is amazing as well. I'm planning on going to watch the movie on opening night, naturally.

There have been a lot of clips for the movie released, but I've only watched one trailer. I don't want to watch any of the others. I love being surprised, and I don't like the feeling of going into the theater knowing what will happen. (I usually avoid HP news around the time the movie is about to come out because there's too much released.)

Ana-Magus July 3rd, 2008 2:59 am

A sight has posted the first 5 minutes of The Dark Knight. I guess it's a spoiler, so you've been warned. clicky clicky

PureBloodGirl July 3rd, 2008 6:04 am

I am resisting your clicky-clicky with all my might. Literal! I think I'm seeing it with my Dad on the 19th and even though I want to watch this SOOOOOO badly I'm just going to wait. If I watch the first 5 minutes I'll die because I can't see the rest for two weeks.