Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   In Cinemas & General Movie discussion (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Batman 2: The Dark Knight (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=112881)

vampiricduck November 18th, 2008 6:21 pm

Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

I'm thinking

Changeling
Australia
The Dark Knight

I vote those three because Defiance is unsure to be ready by the right time, and The Road, which was my other contender, is now scheduled for an 09 release.

DML1991 November 18th, 2008 8:38 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampiricduck (Post 5185115)
I'm thinking

Changeling
Australia
The Dark Knight

I vote those three because Defiance is unsure to be ready by the right time, and The Road, which was my other contender, is now scheduled for an 09 release.

Changeling didn't get good views, it's sitting at a rotten rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so I'm thinking it won't get a nomination. Jolie probably will, though, but I heard the film itself is painfully mediocre. Australia isn't getting good reviews right now, we'll have to wait and see before it's release, but some of the early reviews are disappointing me. :(

MmeBergerac November 18th, 2008 9:25 pm

Since it's almost sure Ledger will get the nomination, let's think of other aspects of the movie that could get one. I would vote for best script and make-up (though computer-two-face disappointed me; but the Joker's face compensates), and I suppose the sound or the edition could get it, too.

Anyway, I wouldn't get too obsessed with the Oscars. Remember that Hitchcock never got one, and nobody will dare to say he was not a great director.

vampiricduck November 19th, 2008 2:15 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5185201)
Changeling didn't get good views, it's sitting at a rotten rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so I'm thinking it won't get a nomination. Jolie probably will, though, but I heard the film itself is painfully mediocre. Australia isn't getting good reviews right now, we'll have to wait and see before it's release, but some of the early reviews are disappointing me. :(

True- but then, as proven above, since when have the Academy done the most sensible thing? ;)

I figure that it might get nods for Best Supporting Actor, Best Screenplay, maybe Best Film but that's a long shot. If not best supporting actor, then I think Ledger will get some honorary award, posthumously.

I also expect it to crop up in the smaller technical awards. The effects were astounding, or at least, I thought they were.

DML1991 November 19th, 2008 3:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampiricduck (Post 5185424)
True- but then, as proven above, since when have the Academy done the most sensible thing? ;)

A few times, but not many. :D
Quote:

I figure that it might get nods for Best Supporting Actor, Best Screenplay, maybe Best Film but that's a long shot. If not best supporting actor, then I think Ledger will get some honorary award, posthumously.

I also expect it to crop up in the smaller technical awards. The effects were astounding, or at least, I thought they were.
The effects work was terrific, so excellent that you never realized that some of the shots were FX.

vampiricduck November 19th, 2008 3:49 pm

Exactly. There were just some great moments. Loved the bat-bike. (I have no other word for it, and that one doesn't do it justice at all!!!) The entire system of chasing throughout it was just brilliant and as well as that, the speed of the movement was excellent too. I just think there were so many wonderful moments. The bank heist, the boat sequence, the truck chase, the prison scene...

I don't see how it could go unrecognised in some shape or form.

PureBloodGirl November 21st, 2008 12:23 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DML1991 (Post 5185504)
A few times, but not many. :D

Well hopefully they'll do the sensible thing when it comes to nominating and awarding The Dark Knight. Or are we talking about the possibility of Heath Ledger getting nominated?

vampiricduck November 21st, 2008 4:06 am

Both, I think. I reckon Ledger is actually quite likely to get a nod for Best Supporting Actor. He truly did do an outstanding job, everyone would have said so even if he had survived. I'm pretty sure of that because at least four months before he passed away, Empire Magazine was running interviews and articles about his dedication to the role and the high expectations for him, as well as his already rather legendary portrayal according to those on set during filming.

There's no doubt that he deserved it- and this years films have not been the best offerings either, quite frankly, meaning that to me, there isn't even a valid excuse in that area for leaving him out.

DorthyGale November 21st, 2008 9:16 am

I found this film to be quite good but, the idea of making it this big crime drama was a different approach. I was expecting a comic book film and I got a dark moody extended episode of Law and Order lol, only with Batman and the Joker featured! I was not really pleased with the film at first, but after a view other veiwings I enjoyed it more since I took it for what it was... an epic crime drama/phsycological thriller. Ledger was worth all the hype as the Joker too, I mean he really gave an infectious performance. I enjoy Bale as well and love Oldman playing a good guy other than Sirus.

vampiricduck November 28th, 2008 1:25 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorthyGale (Post 5186793)
I found this film to be quite good but, the idea of making it this big crime drama was a different approach. I was expecting a comic book film and I got a dark moody extended episode of Law and Order lol, only with Batman and the Joker featured! I was not really pleased with the film at first, but after a view other veiwings I enjoyed it more since I took it for what it was... an epic crime drama/phsycological thriller. Ledger was worth all the hype as the Joker too, I mean he really gave an infectious performance. I enjoy Bale as well and love Oldman playing a good guy other than Sirus.

It is nice to see Oldman play a good guy- and he does a straight job of Commissioner Gordon, who is just an exemplary character for all the people of Gotham to follow. His was the story I was most attached to.

underscore November 28th, 2008 9:38 am

I don't see them nominating someone who is dead. That's not fair to all the other male actors that have done good work in supporting roles. The entire point of the awards show, beyond the massive commercial beast that it became, is healthy competition among peers within the film entertainment industry. Which is the point of having awards ceremonies in all industries.

A posthumous commemorative mention might be the most he'd get and, though I never knew Ledger personally, I imagine he would have wanted the competition to remain among those who are still living and to have their hard acting work celebrated.

PureBloodGirl November 28th, 2008 8:25 pm

I've been looking through the news board on IMDB and there was an article called, 'See Batman Die'. It's really scary to think about that. Check it out, here.

vampiricduck November 29th, 2008 4:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 5191560)
I don't see them nominating someone who is dead. That's not fair to all the other male actors that have done good work in supporting roles. The entire point of the awards show, beyond the massive commercial beast that it became, is healthy competition among peers within the film entertainment industry. Which is the point of having awards ceremonies in all industries.

A posthumous commemorative mention might be the most he'd get and, though I never knew Ledger personally, I imagine he would have wanted the competition to remain among those who are still living and to have their hard acting work celebrated.

I see where you're coming from- but this would not be an exception. Take it that George Gershwin, Spencer Tracy, Sidney Howard,Peter Finch, Howard Ashman, Walt Disney and James Dean have all posthumously been nominated- Finch and Tracy for Best Actor, and Dean twice in that category- in the same year. William Horning was nominated in two years for his work, posthumously.

As recently as last years ceremony, Marit Allen was nominated posthumously for La Vie en Rose.

Of those listed, Walt Disney, William Horning, Peter Finch and Sidney Howard won the awards they were nominated for- and these only come from what I can remember of Oscars trivia. ;)

The thing is this. Just because Ledger died, does not mean he did not put in an absolutely amazing performance. Conventionally, he's unlikely to be nominated. Though I understand where you're coming from, I equally don't think that he can be cast out on the basis that he's dead, especially when the performance has been noteworthy in many circles.

PBG- Batman die! Never! Even Frank Miller wouldn't do it!

underscore November 29th, 2008 11:28 am

Yeah but I think those people all happened to pass away after they were nominated and the one who won may have only done so because they passed away after the Academy's winners votes had already been cast. Unless I'm mistaken.

vampiricduck November 29th, 2008 5:04 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 5192051)
Yeah but I think those people all happened to pass away after they were nominated and the one who won may have only done so because they passed away after the Academy's winners votes had already been cast. Unless I'm mistaken.

At the risk of going off topic- I think you're part right and part wrong, but I can't be bothered to check definitively. It's a sure thing though,that those people awarded in consecutive years after their death qualify as being entirely dead at the time of their nomination, rather than the conferral of the awards. But as I say, I can't be bothered to corelate dates- which would take too much time and effort.I know though, that it is a mix of both.

Also, today I read an article in Uncut Magazine, who were doing their year review, and they rated TDK as one of their best films of the year (it may have been no. 5). They said that what was captivating about it was the fact that the standoff between Batman and the Joker was the element that tied us all into it- we were more interested in the battle of two fractured psyches than anything else.

I thought that was pretty accurate, even though I've re worded it here, not having the magazine on me at the moment.

freelantzer November 30th, 2008 6:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampiricduck (Post 5192200)
we were more interested in the battle of two fractured psyches than anything else

And excellent way to put it, vduck! :tu: I think for me, the most captivating scene is the interrogation scene, and for that very reason. It's fascinating to see the interchange between the two of them. How the Joker plays on Batman's every insecurity--and how Batman reacts. Completely mesmerizing.

vampiricduck November 30th, 2008 4:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelantzer (Post 5192564)
And excellent way to put it, vduck! :tu: I think for me, the most captivating scene is the interrogation scene, and for that very reason. It's fascinating to see the interchange between the two of them. How the Joker plays on Batman's every insecurity--and how Batman reacts. Completely mesmerizing.

There's nothing false about it, that's the best thing about it. It took deep thought to make sure that is was viable and acceptable- and it was one of my favourite scenes because even though it was dramatic, it wasn't so dramatic that it made the story behind it redundant. It was just legitimately dramatic- I was able to understand the reactions and to understand why they were the way they were. It was definitely one of the best thought out scenes in the film, and one of the reasons why I don't think Bale or Ledger outshone each other. They each did the most amazing job in that scene particularly.

(And thanks, by the way, for the compliment. :))

SoulOfRebirth November 30th, 2008 11:03 pm

Quote:

Even Frank Miller wouldn't do it!
This is sort of off-topic, I guess, but am I the only person in the world who is completely tired of Frank Miller? He's mediocre at best. People act like he's the second coming because his stuff is gratuitously violent. But his writing itself is very shallow, even compared to other comic book writers.

It's particularly frustrating because now the guy is practically a celebrity, and now they even let him direct his own God-awful superhero movies. TDK was violent and other, less talented filmmakers are going to follow TDK's example but only imitate its most superficial aspects.

It's going to be the dark 90s all over again, but this time on the big screen. I guess that was sort of a rant but it's something that is really bothering me.

Beatifically November 30th, 2008 11:40 pm

The dvd is coming out soon! :clap: I can't wait. I'm going to get the Two-disc special edition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 5191560)
I don't see them nominating someone who is dead. That's not fair to all the other male actors that have done good work in supporting roles.

For me it's more unfair to exclude Heath Ledger just because he died.His death should not be used to ignore the work he did, because he did a phenomenal job. I am sure others have done really well in movies this year, but I don't think any of them have come even close to what Heath Ledger did with The Joker. Even if he was alive I would hope for him to be nominated. So, my reason for wanting him to be nominated for Best Supporting Actor is because he deserved it, not out of sympathy. (Though I'm sure his family would be happy to know that his work was recognized after his death. :))

DeathlyH November 30th, 2008 11:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatifically (Post 5193030)
For me it's more unfair to exclude Heath Ledger just because he died.His death should not be used to ignore the work he did, because he did a phenomenal job. I am sure others have done really well in movies this year, but I don't think any of them have come even close to what Heath Ledger did with The Joker. Even if he was alive I would hope for him to be nominated. So, my reason for wanting him to be nominated for Best Supporting Actor is because he deserved it, not out of sympathy. (Though I'm sure his family would be happy to know that his work was recognized after his death. :))

I completely agree. How does being dead lessen his performance in any way, shape or form? They should give the award to the best Supporting Actor regardless of anything else. If he had the best performance then why should he not get the Award?