Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101059)

remusfan February 9th, 2007 9:03 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
It's a definite yes for me. It would make the best ending. It's the whole idea of good conquers over evil (Harry destroys Voldemort), but with consequences (Harry dies in the effort of killing him).

kh312 February 9th, 2007 9:10 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
there is a big possibility that he might...but i don't really think that rowling would do something like that, it goes against all the good that the books stand for.

magicalmysteryg February 9th, 2007 10:31 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MHPFAN (Post 4340575)
I just don't see this happening either. If he dies, I see him dying in battle against Voldemort while defeating him. I don't see the whole sacrifice thing as being a good enough ending in my opinion. Harry has already sacrificed so much (i.e. normal childhood) that to have him sacrifice his life is just not right in my honest opinion. Obiviously, it is possible, but I just can't come to grips, or even see the logic in that happening.


Great point. Harry sacrificing his life seems kind of pointless at this point. He's sacrificed his family, and two of his greatest friends, as well as his childhood, and many years of his life. Sacficing his life seems excessive. Also, it seems so cliched to go the jesus route. I think Rowling is much more creative.

LikeLuna February 10th, 2007 5:34 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarties (Post 4340164)
What a waste of a life it would be if he did die. Spending 10 years with the Dursley's... never having a proper family... spending his Hogwarts years in danger of being killed...

I completely agree. Harry has never been completely happy. His whole life, he's had either the Dursleys locking him in a cupboard, or Voldemort trying to kill him almost nonstop. Every year the other students are constantly talking about him, usually for bad reasons. He's had a really tough life, tougher than even his friends know. It would be so unfair for him to die without having the chance to experience normal life without fear of Voldemort over his shoulder. And maybe this is a bit optimistic of me, but that's why I think Hermione, Ron, and Ginny will live too, because Harry needs them in order to lead a happy life after Voldemort. In any case, I'm 95% sure that Harry will live.

FOREVERPOTTER February 10th, 2007 12:47 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by remusfan (Post 4340677)
It's a definite yes for me. It would make the best ending. It's the whole idea of good conquers over evil (Harry destroys Voldemort), but with consequences (Harry dies in the effort of killing him).

I agree

charlessnider February 10th, 2007 6:28 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I think Harry dies, and will sacrifice himself because psychologically, to him, that's the gesture that good wizards commit. His mother and father, Sirius, Dumbledore, Cedric,,,,,,,,,,in some cases tragic ends from fighting evil, and in other cases self-sacrificing gestures in the fight again evil (his mother and perhaps DD.) Voldemort's fixation on staying alive thru the most grotesque means possible vs. Dumbledore's explanation that death is another journey,,,,,,,,the people raising Harry have instilled in him the notion that death may well result from your actions fighting evil,,,and do not fear it.

I would venture to say that this is JKR's thinking as well.

HarryHermione94 February 10th, 2007 7:13 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I don't really know if he dies or lives at the end. Yes he has sacrificed so much already but that just seems like his personality. Its seems he has always put other's lives before his. He goes to rescue Ginny from the chamber and so much more. And Voldemort realizing this and tricks Harry into going to save Sirius from the Ministry of Magic. If he dies it will make sense. Perhaps he will think like Dumbledore- Death is a new journey. Another reason he may die is so JKR won't be tempted to write any more books. That would be kinda harsh but it could happen. Just because he is the "Boy who lived" doesn't mean he is going to be the "Boy who lives again". Anything is that is Harry really a horcrux???? I mean if he is he would have to kill himself and someone else would have to kill Voldemort and who would that be? That would devastating because only Hermione and Ron would know why he had to kill himself or else someone else killed him.

Reasons he will live is because like it has been said Good usually defeats Evil. Throughout the books Harry has survived through Voldemort and his followers TRYING to kill him. Like it has been said it wouldn't be fair for him to die but then again life just sometimes isn't fair.I hope he survives,through.

eviljim13 February 10th, 2007 10:34 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
WOW-so Jo's magic strikes again!!!!She now has many of you convinced of the inevability of Harry's death,most likely by sacrificeing himself so that Voldemort will die and The rest of the Wizarding world will survive!NO!
In order to maintain suspence over the course of 7 books Jo has always had to keep Harry in some degree of peril,often DEADLY peril.After all,who could truly root for a hero whose adventures were of the "lollipop"variety????When the whole thing blew up big and Jo started answering questions in live settings,she automaticaly started to asume a sly posture about wether or not Harry would live or die.Smart.Keep us in a state of guessing.Keep Harry in PERIL.Deathly not Deadly.To have Harry die,especialy in some scenerio where his ultimite sacrifice saves all-well,that's just riding the "cliche train"and I think Jo will do much better.I think Harry will have to go thru more hell than he has yet been thru but get out alive at the other end.I suspect a major twist will occur.But-"The boy who lived"will BE-The BOY(MAN actually)who LIVED!!!!!

Melfina February 10th, 2007 10:43 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I firmly believe Harry will not die. I think if he died, it would really ruin the whole series for many people. It would be closure but a very morbid one. I think Rowling likes Harry too much to snuff him out. Yes she had to put him through a pretty bad life and we know others close to Harry will die, but I don't think he will.

crazy4harry23 February 10th, 2007 10:59 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I think that Harry will live, because the books have always let a message of hope, and Harry had suffered a lot in the 6 previous books, the least thing he deserves after killing Voldemort his love and a family, and happiness and peace, to be a normal wizard and have a normal life.
I think that if he dies, JK will destroy the message of hope that she has sent in the last books, that no matter what terrible things happens, you can't give up and you have to keep fighting. Hope it's what the world needs now.
Quote:

From magicalmysteryg
Harry sacrificing his life seems kind of pointless at this point. He's sacrificed his family, and two of his greatest friends, as well as his childhood, and many years of his life. Sacficing his life seems excessive. Also, it seems so cliched to go the jesus route. I think Rowling is much more creative.
I agree with that.

eviljim13 February 10th, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Harry faces any number of hopeless "Deathly"situations.As we read book 7we are constantly kept at the edge of our seats............is this the Moment of Death?.................Count me in I want part of that!!!!!
Bingo:tu:

zecik February 10th, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I don't think that she will kill him off. I just don't think she wants to.

PotterFreak0515 February 10th, 2007 11:39 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
No, He's not going to die. It's not like Jo was sitting on a train thinking, "Oh, I've got this great idea for a story. It's about a kid who has an awful life and then dies!"

And yes, I stole that from The Leaky Mug.

There's also the rumor that Jo told someone that the Trio would live throughout the whole series in a bookstore in Naperville, IL. And I believe she slipped up in NYC last summer and gave away that none of the Trio were going to die.

mollyfranny February 11th, 2007 12:19 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I just have a feeling that he will die. I don't like it, but I think he will.

Sarmoo February 11th, 2007 12:33 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I also think Harry will die, I just have a feeling. Im sorry.

Part of me thinks its because JK doesnt want anyone to carry on with the Harry Potter books, she wants to end it on her terms, and have no one else interrupt.

However, it doesn't seem quite right to me for him to die, it would just be.... so big!
I couldn't imagine it, because the book, the whole storyline, the point. Is him.
And for him to die at the end of it all would be unimaginable.

I hope to GOD that he doesnt die, but I have a gut feeling it'll end unhappily but under special circumstances. Who knows? We'll have to wait and see...

mollyfranny February 11th, 2007 12:35 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Urgh. I can't wait for this book to come out. I want to see what happens.

taupimu February 11th, 2007 5:11 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I sure don't think that Harry will die. I think that the sacrifices that will be made in the final defeat of Voldemort will come from the people who owe Harry for some reason. Wormtail and Snape are my first thoughts.

Strider62442 February 11th, 2007 6:03 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Anyone read that interview with Radcliffe that was posted on TLC? In it he agains says that he is hoping to play a death scene and that he believes that its the only way to bring the series closure. He has said it before. He has a measure of contact with JKR. How much I don't know, but its clear that they have an occasional chat. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that maybe Dan's comments on the subject have been encouraged by her. I personally feel like JKR wants to keep it in our heads that there is a big possibility that Harry will die, and I think Dan's comments on the subject are useful to doing this. Because he seems so definitive when he says he thinks and hopes that Harry will die and combined with the fact that he has some access to the author it leads people to think he has inside knowledge and that we should get out the funeral garb.

I think he may have a little inside knowledge, but that its the other way around and that he is helping JKR keep us guessing.

sparkly February 11th, 2007 6:21 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strider62442 (Post 4343175)
Anyone read that interview with Radcliffe that was posted on TLC? In it he agains says that he is hoping to play a death scene and that he believes that its the only way to bring the series closure. He has said it before. He has a measure of contact with JKR. How much I don't know, but its clear that they have an occasional chat. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that maybe Dan's comments on the subject have been encouraged by her. I personally feel like JKR wants to keep it in our heads that there is a big possibility that Harry will die, and I think Dan's comments on the subject are useful to doing this. Because he seems so definitive when he says he thinks and hopes that Harry will die and combined with the fact that he has some access to the author it leads people to think he has inside knowledge and that we should get out the funeral garb.

I think he may have a little inside knowledge, but that its the other way around and that he is helping JKR keep us guessing.

I don't think Dan would be so unprofessional as to give away the ending of the final book. In fact, his comments indicate to me that he doesn't know anything and is speaking as Dan Radcliffe who's read the same books we have. I also don't think JKR would use someone else to send a message. She hasn't been shy about saying there will be deaths in the last book - why would she need a mouthpiece for Harry's future? And why would she give risk hurting sales of the last book by giving away the end?

dumbleISdead February 11th, 2007 6:37 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
a while ago i was convinced that he was going to die

then i rethought it and decided that since its Jo, she will finish it off in a way that noone has ever thought of, because she is spectacular like that

so no i dont think he will die, but i think there will be some major twist, and SOMETHING will happen to him

Strider62442 February 11th, 2007 6:39 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I dont mean hes an official mouthpiece. My point is that if JKR is going to make Harry live, she still wants people to be nervous right to the end. So she will say things that keep the possibility of him dying open. It wouldnt be unusual for her to suggest to Dan that he express his wish to play a death scene because it makes people a little nervous. Shes not trying to give away the end by doing this. Shes trying to lead the fans off the track.

Now I suppose I'll get the response that JKR wouldnt lie to her readers. I'll answer that in advance. Shes not lying by trying to mystify people. Its my belief that Harry is going to live for literary reasons. I believe that she is trying to keep the readers guessing by acknowledging often that Harry could die. I don't think its a stretch that she could be seeking to misdirect people in the same way by semi-planting comments in other people's mouths. If I was in her position, I would be trying to conceal the ending in the same way.

I also fully acknowledge that there is no evidence of this now. But I am sure after the release some comment by JKR will surface that will indicate that she did everything she could to keep people nervous.

UndeadEmpire13 February 11th, 2007 7:23 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
i think harry will die killing voldemort.

i'd cry if harry died. :(

Voldermania February 11th, 2007 7:59 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Ok, did I ever tell you guys my fang/arm theory? As is has come to be affectionately known (by me). Ok; it is this. Dumbledores look of triumph, after Harry shows him the place where blood was taken from his arm, could be (according to me) because of the fact that the unusual amount of things that have happened to that exact place in his arm. I mean, its the same place that got stabbed by voldemorts pet basilisk, and the same place that fawkes cried on. This may have something to do with it. Also, this theory doesnt factor in alot of recent developments, as I came up with it the day before book five came out. And it also means that Wormtail paid off his debt to Harry for saving his life, which fits nicely.

Oh, and a theory about how to get rid of the horcruxes: harry should eat them, and then get a dementor to suck them out. They are pieces of soul, so it should work. Also, there has to be a bigger point to the dementors (I am immediately going to get shot down for this, I know) and also it would fit with dumbledores 'there are things worse than death' thingy.

I really hope Harry doesnt die. If he does, I will be the first person to call that helpline.

eviljim13 February 11th, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
:cool: This won't help answer the question of wether Harry will die or notmbut it may shed some light on the process of the debate.I'd like to enter into evidence "24"the television show.Week after week Jack Bauer has been put thru any number of deadly situations for 5 years now!!!!!He has so far survived.However,all along the way,promos for future episodes have often suggested Jack's impending death!!!!!!In fact,"24"s producers have made it a point and a goal to make sure that you understand that ANY character could(and will!)be killed off at ANY time!Including Jack Bauer-the main character!!!!In this way,they keep you on the edge of your seat,waiting to see who will die(much like Ron reading the Daily Prophet:lol: )It is a briliant strategy especialy if you have to maintain suspence for many years not just a couple of weeks:rockon:

Daelin February 12th, 2007 12:54 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldermania (Post 4344118)
Ok, did I ever tell you guys my fang/arm theory? As is has come to be affectionately known (by me). Ok; it is this. Dumbledores look of triumph, after Harry shows him the place where blood was taken from his arm, could be (according to me) because of the fact that the unusual amount of things that have happened to that exact place in his arm. I mean, its the same place that got stabbed by voldemorts pet basilisk, and the same place that fawkes cried on. This may have something to do with it. Also, this theory doesnt factor in alot of recent developments, as I came up with it the day before book five came out. And it also means that Wormtail paid off his debt to Harry for saving his life, which fits nicely.

Ummm, I can't agree that tying someone up, and stealing their blood in an evil ritual to embody their worst enemy, is serviceable as paying a life debt.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Wormtail still owes Harry big-time, and I think he knows it.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldermania (Post 4344118)
Oh, and a theory about how to get rid of the horcruxes: harry should eat them, and then get a dementor to suck them out. They are pieces of soul, so it should work. Also, there has to be a bigger point to the dementors (I am immediately going to get shot down for this, I know) and also it would fit with dumbledores 'there are things worse than death' thingy.

The dementors have been shown pretty conclusively as soul-sucking monsters which cannot be handled with reason. Dumbledore, who was certainly powerful enough to manage them, did not want them near Hogwarts, so I think it is highly unlikely that Harry could convince them to suck the horcrux souls and leave his alone. And if Harry could remove the horcrux souls from the items containing them, he would not need any help destroying those soul bits. It's all a bit like trusting a pack of wild pit bulls to help you with your homework.

oldone February 12th, 2007 5:37 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I will say it again Harry will not die jkr would have to be pretty cold to kill off a person that lived such a horrible life before and after he found the wizarding world depriving him of a happy existance after lv .It would be like Simon Birch I hated that movie.I think he will have personal loses much like frodo in lord of the rings but alive never the less.

lupislune February 12th, 2007 6:32 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
At first, I thought the chances of Harry surviving were about 50/50, but given JKR's reaction that this is in fact her favorite book, I think we will in fact survive.

Eliya February 12th, 2007 11:04 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkly (Post 4340494)
JKR has developed the Harry/Ginny relationship since the first book and by bringing them together briefly in HBP she clearly foreshadowed that Harry will survive Voldermort. To change that abruptly in the final book doesn't make sense from a literary perspective and isn't good writing technique.

You are right! I thought exactly the same, just didn't know how to express it clearly. There indeed wouldn't be any sense in killing Harry at the end of the last book.

anabel February 12th, 2007 11:38 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lupislune (Post 4345046)
At first, I thought the chances of Harry surviving were about 50/50, but given JKR's reaction that this is in fact her favorite book, I think we will in fact survive.

I agree! Harry must be like one of Jo's own children by now, so I don't see how a book in which he dies could be her favourite! Also, little turns of phrase in countless interviews seem to indicate that he will survive, although she often corrects herself and says "if" afterwards.

draughtofdead February 12th, 2007 12:06 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
there is like no way that Rowling will dare to kill harry but she might kill him so that she wont b tempted to write a new book :p

lillink February 12th, 2007 12:33 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
JK Rowling has been working on Harry Potter for over 10 years now. Harry has basically been her life, almost the equivalent of one of her children. I do not see how she could kill him after all of the time she has spent with him.

Voldermania February 12th, 2007 5:34 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daelin (Post 4344625)
Ummm, I can't agree that tying someone up, and stealing their blood in an evil ritual to embody their worst enemy, is serviceable as paying a life debt.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Wormtail still owes Harry big-time, and I think he knows it.





The dementors have been shown pretty conclusively as soul-sucking monsters which cannot be handled with reason. Dumbledore, who was certainly powerful enough to manage them, did not want them near Hogwarts, so I think it is highly unlikely that Harry could convince them to suck the horcrux souls and leave his alone. And if Harry could remove the horcrux souls from the items containing them, he would not need any help destroying those soul bits. It's all a bit like trusting a pack of wild pit bulls to help you with your homework.

Ok, fair points. But TECHNICALLY, they both work. I mean, wormtail was at hogwarts in the form of scabbers when the whole COS thing happened. I would have to check, but isnt he there when Harry is telling people what happened? He would have heard about it anyway - rats hear things, Im sure. And it WOULD be repaying the debt, because it would mean that he was doing it (all the tying up/stabbing) in order to foil voldemorts plans, therby helping Harry.

And the dementor thing: TRUE, you cannot train them. But this works both ways - you said you cannot handle dementors with reason. But Voldemort does - maybe misguidedly so? They might well turn against him if tempted with seven bits of soul containing ALOT of bad memories.

Daelin February 12th, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldermania (Post 4345477)
Ok, fair points. But TECHNICALLY, they both work. I mean, wormtail was at hogwarts in the form of scabbers when the whole COS thing happened. I would have to check, but isnt he there when Harry is telling people what happened? He would have heard about it anyway - rats hear things, Im sure. And it WOULD be repaying the debt, because it would mean that he was doing it (all the tying up/stabbing) in order to foil voldemorts plans, therby helping Harry.

And the dementor thing: TRUE, you cannot train them. But this works both ways - you said you cannot handle dementors with reason. But Voldemort does - maybe misguidedly so? They might well turn against him if tempted with seven bits of soul containing ALOT of bad memories.

Well, let's not discount a life debt. It's been made pretty clear that a life is required to pay a life debt, not "helping out". And Pettigrew was doing Voldemort's work, not Harry's, in the tying up and stabbing - it gave Voldemort a body and allowed him to contact Harry w/o pain, and there is no evidence that Wormtail had any idea this would help Harry, so no, I don't score that as service to Harry in repayment of the debt.

And the problem with your dementor theory, is that they go after souls to suck out the happiness and joy. Remember that in PoA, Sirius escaped Azkaban because the dementors could not detect any joy or happiness in him. So, I don't think pieces of Voldemort's soul, especially locked away in physical objects, would have anywhere near the appetizing attraction of Harry's much-loving heart and soul.

Padfoot_Prongs February 13th, 2007 2:02 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lillink (Post 4345215)
JK Rowling has been working on Harry Potter for over 10 years now. Harry has basically been her life, almost the equivalent of one of her children. I do not see how she could kill him after all of the time she has spent with him.

I do agree with you, but the possibility of Harry dying still scares me.

Personally, I think it is kind of weird that Daniel Radcliffe wants Harry to die because like JKR, he has been involved with Harry for a pretty long time now. I do understand that most of the reason he wants Harry to die is so that he gets to do a death scene, but still it scares me. If Dan wants to act out Harry's death scene, what would prevent JKR from wanting to write it?

Kathleen Malfoy February 13th, 2007 5:57 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Well, J.K. Rowling said something about valuing her personal safety too much not to finish writing the last book. (This might have been a half joke though).

But she might say the same thing about Harry, that she values her personal safety too much that she wouldn't kill Harry.

I mean, I suppose she should assume that because there are millions and millions of Harry Potter fans....there probably are at least a couple that are possibly actually crazy. Although, I still think it might have been a half joke.

ginnyluv February 13th, 2007 7:43 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
i don't think so its just hype to get everyone excited for the new one keep the suspens going.....i hope he ends up with ginny again

wobbleshanks February 13th, 2007 8:13 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbleISdead (Post 4343217)
a while ago i was convinced that he was going to die

then i rethought it and decided that since its Jo, she will finish it off in a way that noone has ever thought of, because she is spectacular like that

so no i dont think he will die, but i think there will be some major twist, and SOMETHING will happen to him


I couldn't agree with you more. (Except, I was convinced he was going to live.) I think Jo has something.......uh.....lets say [i]different[i] planned for poor, wonderful Harry. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the veil or what's behind the veil. The veil seems to tie up several things for me. Jo's mentions of: Christianity, the use of the two-way mirror again (psychics talk to people who have died?), the complexities of the ending of the series (something more complex than life or death?), leaving some things for people to still debate over (do you believe in an after-life?), death being another journey........behind the veil is......what?.......life after death? We don't know, but there is sure to be much revealed about what's behind the veil (maybe even the wizarding world isn't sure) in the last book. Remember, they heard voices behind the veil. Sacrifice? There's been tons of sacrifice so far and she has pointedly said there will be more and a price must be paid. Personally, I think there's a good chance Ron will die. He had to sacrifice himself (sorta) in SS/PS at the chess board. Mrs. Weasley and her run in with the boggart........didn't that foreshadow the possible deaths of over half the Weasley family? OF COURSE Harry's going to sacrifice himself in the killing of HWMNBN, but what happens to Harry in the process may not be a simple matter of living or dying. IMHO.

avada_kedavraa February 13th, 2007 10:40 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Harry will die and the proof of that is the fact that DH is being released after the OOTP movie, when the 7th of the senventh month of 2007 would have been the perfect date. I think this is being done so as not to interfere with the OOTP movie's performance in the box office, as Harry's death would put off a lot of fans going to the movie.

ginnyluv February 13th, 2007 10:54 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
good theory but i still don'y yhink so i say its just hype for the next book she wil kill off possibly more people then before that are important ..but not harry...although she has had lots of success and could do whaever the heck she wants

mysterious February 13th, 2007 2:05 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MHPFAN (Post 4340575)
I just don't see this happening either. If he dies, I see him dying in battle against Voldemort while defeating him. I don't see the whole sacrifice thing as being a good enough ending in my opinion. Harry has already sacrificed so much (i.e. normal childhood) that to have him sacrifice his life is just not right in my honest opinion. Obiviously, it is possible, but I just can't come to grips, or even see the logic in that happening.

I agree with you that he has been through loads of things, but I would prefer him dead with one soul rather than living with split souls because he will eventually have to Kill Voldemort and once he does that his soul will split. And this time if he has to make an impact he will have to kill Voldemort himself, not by some trick, meaning that it will be a murder and that will split his soul. ;)

ToriPains102 February 13th, 2007 7:17 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I don't think they will because if he does, then he shouldn't be called 'The Boy Who Lived'

wobbleshanks February 13th, 2007 8:54 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToriPains102 (Post 4347323)
I don't think they will because if he does, then he shouldn't be called 'The Boy Who Lived'


He's not called 'The Boy Who Lived to the ripe old age of ______'. My understanding is that he is called 'The Boy.......' because he was the one and only to survive an Avada Cadavar (sorry if I messed up the spelling) curse.

BurrowGhoul February 13th, 2007 9:03 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I will cry like a baby if Harry dies.

If JKR does it well, which I can only assume she will, I will be understanding of the need, and respect the decision, but it will break my heart.

hedwighp February 13th, 2007 10:31 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
unfortunatly i think harry will be killed in the 7th book i kno i kno it makes me upset to say it but i think its true if jkr let harry live someone could pick up the series seven years after she dies

pumpkinheadRon February 13th, 2007 10:46 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I hope she doesn't kill Harry off just to stop someone from picking up the series (Besides, no other writer could write Harry Potter books better than Jo). If she does kill Harry off, I hope it's for a good reason and I hope Ginny goes with him so she doesn't live a miserable life without Harry.:sigh:

lillink February 13th, 2007 10:46 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I'm starting to think that maybe Harry will die. The first time that Voldemort was 'killed' Lily had sacrificed her life for Harry, giving Harry the gift (or curse) of love. Voldemort didn't die however because he had his horcruxes. However, let's say that all the Horcruxes are destroyed by the end of the 7th book. Harry could sacrifice his life for his friends, giving his friends the gift of love. Then if Voldemort tries to kill one of Harry's friends, the spell would rebound and kill Voldemort.

Hopefully I understand the logistics of Voldemort's first demise right, or else my whole theory is wrong.

Lord_Kaine February 14th, 2007 12:12 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I too, hope Harry will sacrifice himself for his friends. Although I don't know if this will automatically give them the protection, or if there is some ancient spell involved. And if it does work, will Voldemort expect it this time, and apparate out of the way?

If he has used the spell on someone under "protection", would it mean that that protection has worn off, or does he have to die first?

hedwighp February 14th, 2007 3:51 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
i too hope if harry has to die at all then he will die with ginny and he will pass on the protection of love thing to his friends and it saves them for 17 yerars

cincyhermione February 14th, 2007 3:36 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Admittedly, I'm a softie on this one. I don't want Harry to die.:no: It seems like he's worked so hard to finally establish himself in his true home--the wizarding world--and he has the possibility of real family-the Weasleys and Ginny. However, I am prepared for JK to once again shock us all. Does anyone think it's possible that Harry could come back as a ghost if he dies?

DogStar777 February 14th, 2007 3:59 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I do hope Harry doesn't die:no: , but the series would have an awsome ending if, on the brink of death, Harry casts the Killing Curse at Voldemort, ridding the world of evil once and for all.

wobbleshanks February 14th, 2007 7:55 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord_Kaine (Post 4347774)
I too, hope Harry will sacrifice himself for his friends. Although I don't know if this will automatically give them the protection, or if there is some ancient spell involved. And if it does work, will Voldemort expect it this time, and apparate out of the way?

If he has used the spell on someone under "protection", would it mean that that protection has worn off, or does he have to die first?


Those are excellent points/questions. I'm leaning towards that JKR won't allow Voldey to make the same mistake twice. At least I hope not. I'm hoping that she's going to do some kind of cool, catch us all off our guard, twist to that whole ancient-magic-die-for-the-one-you-love-proctection-spell. The trio will need the help of someone well versed in the dark arts and ancient magic. This may be where Snape comes into play. Or maybe Dumbledore's portrait(s). But I'm leaning towards Snape. Maybe Harry will orchestrate the final battle between himself and Voldey to occur in Dumbledore's office and his mentor can shout advice to him from his portrait like, "Duck Harry!" :lol:

GryffindorsRule February 15th, 2007 8:01 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Maybe Harry will orchestrate the final battle between himself and Voldey to occur in Dumbledore's office and his mentor can shout advice to him from his portrait like, "Duck Harry!"
That would be one of the best endings ever...

Well I am a bit of an optimist, so I truly hope that Harry survives so he can lead the magical world into a brighter future, but if he has to die for literary reasons, then I truly hope JKR does it well like she has the whole series. The death of Harry would shock me and devastate me, but if she does it well then I can admire it as well.

maluta February 15th, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I really hope that JKR does not kill Harry in the final book. If she does she would be making the same mistake that Arthur Conan Doyle did when he killed his hero (Sherlock Holmes) and then had to bring him back because the readers were asking him to.

BurrowGhoul February 15th, 2007 3:09 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by maluta (Post 4350185)
I really hope that JKR does not kill Harry in the final book. If she does she would be making the same mistake that Arthur Conan Doyle did when he killed his hero (Sherlock Holmes) and then had to bring him back because the readers were asking him to.

I would be shocked beyond measure if JKR did that. She seems to plan her writing very deliberately, and when she says she's done with Harry Potter, I believe her.

tara_black February 15th, 2007 3:43 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Harry's going to dieeeeeeee. He's doomed! He's the Horcrux, he has to die.

YamisChan February 15th, 2007 4:48 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tara_black (Post 4350391)
Harry's going to dieeeeeeee. He's doomed! He's the Horcrux, he has to die.

*nod nod* my thoughts exactly

mactabard_25 February 15th, 2007 7:15 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cincyhermione (Post 4348577)
Admittedly, I'm a softie on this one. I don't want Harry to die.:no: It seems like he's worked so hard to finally establish himself in his true home--the wizarding world--and he has the possibility of real family-the Weasleys and Ginny. However, I am prepared for JK to once again shock us all. Does anyone think it's possible that Harry could come back as a ghost if he dies?


I dont think he will. If he dies (which I'm in the Die Harry Die Camp) I think he will move on because at that point he will be able to be with his mother and father again. Not to mention DD, Sirius, and anyone else that may have died during the DH.

Daelin February 15th, 2007 7:20 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
No death for Harry.

magicalmysteryg February 15th, 2007 8:41 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by maluta (Post 4350185)
I really hope that JKR does not kill Harry in the final book. If she does she would be making the same mistake that Arthur Conan Doyle did when he killed his hero (Sherlock Holmes) and then had to bring him back because the readers were asking him to.


unlike conan doyle, JKR really likes harry, and she'd be sad to kill him. Doyle disliked sherlock holmes, and wanted to kill him .

Daelin February 15th, 2007 8:54 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by magicalmysteryg (Post 4350832)
unlike conan doyle, JKR really likes harry, and she'd be sad to kill him. Doyle disliked sherlock holmes, and wanted to kill him .

... and if Rowling is really worried about someone else doing Potter stories, killing off Sherlock did not prevent "Young Sherlock Holmes", and live or die, there will be a flood of fan-fic stories.

And now, a snip from a book Rowling herself suggested, "Harry Potter and the Mid-Life Crisis":

Quote:

Harry stopped to taste the lukewarm coffee, and grimaced.

"Tell me Neville", he asked his Floor Manager, "after we defeated the Dark Lord and all, why did we end up working for Delores Umbridge?"

Neville shuddered.

"Don't say that name out loud, Harry" he warned. "The Dark Boss has minions everywhere in Human Resources, her so-called Paycheck Eaters.

"And don't forget what happened to poor Ron ..."


Both men shuddered, thinking of poor Ron Weasley, condemned to life among the offal-throwing baboons in Customer Service.
:hmm:

magicalmysteryg February 15th, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daelin (Post 4350849)
.
And now, a snip from a book Rowling herself suggested, "Harry Potter and the Mid-Life Crisis":
Harry stopped to taste the lukewarm coffee, and grimaced.

"Tell me Neville", he asked his Floor Manager, "after we defeated the Dark Lord and all, why did we end up working for Delores Umbridge?"

Neville shuddered.

"Don't say that name out loud, Harry" he warned. "The Dark Boss has minions everywhere in Human Resources, her so-called Paycheck Eaters.

"And don't forget what happened to poor Ron ..."

Both men shuddered, thinking of poor Ron Weasley, condemned to life among the offal-throwing baboons in Customer Service.
:

definitly my new favorite bad ending--they all survive, but have dead end jobs, dont remain friends, and harry's past is all but forgotten.

GryffindorsRule February 16th, 2007 4:39 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by magicalmysteryg (Post 4350896)
definitly my new favorite bad ending--they all survive, but have dead end jobs, dont remain friends, and harry's past is all but forgotten.

I would agree with that.

shock058 February 16th, 2007 4:48 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I don't think Harry will die. Gut feeling...

And to answer some one's previous question, I do not think that Harry will come back as a ghost. In the fifth book when Harry is asking Nearly Headless Nick about whether or not Sirius could be a ghost, Nick says that usually only people who are really afraid of death become ghosts and that he was a coward for it. If anything, after all Harry has been through, we know that he is neither a coward nor afraid of death so I doubt he will choose to become a ghost.

shmcminn February 16th, 2007 6:58 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I don't think Harry will die for some many reasons. I'm not sure where I heard this, but someone said that when Jo was making up the Harry Potter story for the first time some 10 years ago do you honestly think she was thinking, "I have a great idea for a story! I'll write about a boy who faces hardship after hardship, loses every family-like being he knows, is thought a lunatic for a year, then dies. It's brilliance!" No, I dont' either. Plus, if we ASSUME that Voldemort is going to lose, and we ASSUME that Harry's going to kill him then the only way Harry could die would be a)killing himself or b)both of them firing the AK at the exact same time and the spells passing each other in midair and finding their mark. Not exactly the most likely scenario. So ya, I don't think he's going to die.

mrs_muggle February 17th, 2007 3:13 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
harry will live but i'm pretty sure that after declaring his undying love for herminone that ron will peg it

OWTforNOWT February 17th, 2007 8:33 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Potter won't die because it'd be bad for the book sells.
Not to worry ;)

BurrowGhoul February 17th, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by O***orNOWT (Post 4353941)
Potter won't die because it'd be bad for the book sells.
Not to worry ;)

I'm fairly certain that's not what is driving JKR's decision.

cincyhermione February 18th, 2007 12:46 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mactabard_25 (Post 4350677)
I dont think he will. If he dies (which I'm in the Die Harry Die Camp) I think he will move on because at that point he will be able to be with his mother and father again. Not to mention DD, Sirius, and anyone else that may have died during the DH.

But what about his love for people who are/will still be living? i.e. Ginny, Ron, Hermione, the Weasleys, etc. If he were a ghost, he'd have that, but if he wasn't, he'd have his family, Sirius, and DD. I'm torn! I don't know now if I want Harry to die or not!:sigh:

mollyfranny February 18th, 2007 12:48 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
About the ghost thing. Harry couldn't become a ghost as far as we know because he hasn't imprinted himself on the earth. I guess he could do it in the seventh book, but I don't think it would be a good ending to the story. I can just see it- And Harry watched as all his brave friends died away one by one, and then his love, Ginny.- Not a very good ending if you know what I mean.

eviljim13 February 18th, 2007 1:52 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
If Harry dies,it almost means that Voldemort won!!!!!Not happening.But I also don't think that Harry will escape those near death experiences that Jack Bauer go thjru every WEEK.Yet live:p hARRY WILL LIVE.He must live-He is "The Boy Who Lived"Jo wouldn't mess with something on so basic a level.The BOY LIVED-Harry will be Triumphant-then disapear with his scar................

mollyfranny February 18th, 2007 3:02 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I believe that if Harry dies and Voldemort die, that Voldemort definately did not "win". :no: But if you are talking about if Harry dies and Voldemort lives, than yes he certainly did "win". If he did "win" as you are talking about I don't think anybody will think JkR a very good author anymore. Well, hardly anybody.:lol:

eviljim13 February 18th, 2007 3:33 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I didn't make myself clear.Harry will not die-maybe suffer greatly but not die!Jo said years ago-"I know how Harry will suffer-and so I wouldn't want to"but she never ever said "gone"dead etcJust that she wouldn't want to ..............
Harry Potter-Harry "Windsor"Iraq I heard what do you think??????????

LexiBlack February 18th, 2007 5:22 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by magicalmysteryg (Post 4350896)
definitly my new favorite bad ending--they all survive, but have dead end jobs, dont remain friends, and harry's past is all but forgotten.

haha, I too would have to agree that this would make for a very funny post Hogwarts era book!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shock058 (Post 4351551)
If anything, after all Harry has been through, we know that he is neither a coward nor afraid of death so I doubt he will choose to become a ghost.

I'm with you on this one. I don't think Harry would come back as a ghost. I think he realizes that if he does die and move on then he will be with his family and other loved ones that have passed on as well. Harry, unlike Voldemort would not come back as a ghost... hmmm... what about Voldemort has anyone ever thought of him coming back as a ghost?? (off topic I know :) )

Quote:

Originally Posted by eviljim13 (Post 4354441)
If Harry dies,it almost means that Voldemort won!!!!!

Actually, I disagree. I dont' think that if Harry dies then that means Voldemort wins. There is the possibility that Harry could get killed in the process of defeating the dark lord. A spell could be cast that takes out both of them and there are many other possibilities that could end both Harry as well as Voldemort.

However, I am of the opinion that Harry will beat Voldemort and survive the whole ordeal. It could be due to the fact that that's what I want to happen. Harry deserves to be truly happy and not have to worry about a dark wizard striking him down while he is hanging out with his friends.
- I don't think that Harry will die because we have to keep in mind that this is a children's book. How often do the hero's of the book die? Now I know there are instances but not too many of them. Harry has already had so many hardships, he deserves a long and happy life with no Voldemort lurking about.
- I believe that Harry has too much love in him to be taken out by Voldemort. Voldemort has overlooked this simple piece of old magic time and time again. I'm under the impression that he believes he has over come this crucial piece of magic by obtaining Harry's blood to come back to his life form though. I personally do not believe that love can be thrown off to the side though. It will play a role in saving Harry's life.

VoldemortforGOP February 18th, 2007 6:21 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Unfortunately, I think Harry is toast but I hope I'm wrong. I'm still upset by Dumbledore's death and hoping he'll make a recovery despite JKR's assertions he's gone.

And even if Harry does get killed off, it doesn't mean JKR can't ever write anymore Harry Potter books. As many times as A History of Hogwarts has been mentioned, I half expect to see that published at some time.

momeve February 18th, 2007 6:22 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Lots of great ideas to back up either scenario! IMO, Harry will live BUT..... a lot of folks have mentioned "sacrifice", the fact that, for the good of all, Harry might need to sacrifice his life. I think there will indeed be a sacrifice and I'll get to that but first, for Harry to have lived these 17 years facing horrifying situations and losses just to loose his life after finally finding a potential life partner in Ginny seems cruel. Forgive me for not remembering who posted about the relationship with Ginny and the excellent Quidditch analogy- you said it all quite eloquently and I really can't add anymore except that from a literary viewpoint and a simple heart desire of his many fans, Harry deserves to finally find some peace and joy in this world{or rather that one!}. But getting back to the sacrifice: We have been shown 3 horcruxes so far and each one, according to my theory, has required a sacrifice to destroy it: the first, the diary, was destroyed when Harry punctured it with the basilisks fang. I maintain it was his blood on the fang that destroyed it and not the fang itself. The second was the ring and although we were not privy to the actual destruction, we know that Dumbledore suffered the almost total destruction of his hand and again, I believe it was a bodily sacrifice that destroyed the ring. I also think DD willingly made this sacrifice based on what he told Harry: "a withered hand does not seem an unreasonable exchange for a seventh of Voldemort's soul". Finally, we have the locket, which, although Harry and DD did not find that night in the cave, had enchantments around it that required a sacrifice: blood to enter the cave, DD using his own instead of Harry's which apparantly was worth more,and the fact that whoever drank the potion would, at the very least, suffer horrible memories and pain and at the worst, be slowly killed by it. JKR has already many times shown us the sacrifice of body parts or substances in the creation of spells i.e; Harry's blood, wormtails hand, Tom Sr.'s bones to create babymort etc.. I think she has prepared us for the fact that Harry will, in his horcrux hunting and destroying, suffer harm. I also think that in the ultimate battle between he and voldemort he will willingly sacrifice something of great value, his "eyes" perhaps? The same eyes we keep hearing mentioned? This would be a dear price to pay for the vanquishing of evil but our hero would be spared to live a life of peace, memories held dear of those he'd lost and a future with those he loves.

Miss_Delacour February 18th, 2007 6:46 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I really don't want harry to die, i don't think he will either. harry has grown on me like a close friend. if i merely a devoted fan think potter as a friend then imagion Jkrowlings attachment to the boy. i dont think she could bear to sentence her little hero to death. but then again there had been a harry potter helpline set up for people that are devastated from the deathly hallows so he might die.. after all that will truely be the end of harrys story. but then what would happen to the entire wizarding world?! hermionie, ron, ginny and harrys friends will be devestated, Voldemort will continue to conquer because the only one who had a chance of killing him was thwarted. a truely horrible end.

tuer_lisse February 18th, 2007 6:56 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Inevitably yes. Jo has already established herself as an extraordinary author; a writer that doesnt follow trends or copy other styles. She is not going to follow the crowd and let the good guy always triumph.

Miss_Delacour February 18th, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dobby999 (Post 4330690)
i can see two sides to this. if harry dies then something will happen to voldie which will make all his powers go, making him a squib, he will then end up working in hogwarts (as he has always had a conection with the place) and realise there are much worse things then death, especially when no one believes that he used to be the best wizard there ever was, though i can't work out how he wont go to azkaban if he loses all his powers, maybe just because he wouldn't be able to use magic to kill anyone anymore.
but if voldie dies, then harry survives which is then a proper childrens book


I think it is quite clear that either Harry, Voldemort or both will die.
Voldemort has alrady lost all his powers once, the night he murdred harrys parents, he only survived because of his horcrux's, if harry has succeeded in destroying the remainder of them and the final battle between the two of them is fair with voldemort being mortal then if Harry uses the killing curse succesfully on him he will die. as for Voldemort working at hogwarts and realiseing he did wrong, Voldemort does not see right and wrong, he does not see good and evil he sees only power, harry and him will not reconciliate on one side. If voldemort is powerless and horcruxless after the final battle ( unlikely ) then he will be sent to a lifetime of imprisonment or be sentenced to death.

I fail to understand how Voldie dieing will make the books childrens books, the series so far is very murky and dark. only a unussually intelligent 8-year-old will understand all of it. This series was not made for children nor to adults. just because good triumphs over evil in the end does not mean the books are in anyway childish. After all what about LOTR when Frodo triumphs over sauron. LOTR is in no means a childrens book.

anabel February 18th, 2007 11:45 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I think it's quite likely that Harry will defeat Voldemort by being willing to die in the attempt. Voldemort was defeated at Godric's Hollow by Lily's willing sacrifice, which invoked powerful, ancient love-magic. Could this be the key to defeating Voldemort again? And if Harry does sacrifice himself, could he be only "mostly dead" so that his friends can revive him? How can you defeat someone by love? I think Lily showed us how. But I believe Harry will survive.

Mr_Watson February 18th, 2007 11:52 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I think he'll die. It would be a proper, tragic, ending of the series. In the last battle they'll kill each other. Harry will go to the history books being the one who killed the most powerful dark wizard alive. And that's a death fit for a hero.

Lord_Kaine February 18th, 2007 1:49 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I agree with that one. Harrys death will be sad, tragic, but at the same time powerful and fitting to the book. So many has died between Harry and Voldemort, Harry will not let anyone sacrifice himself or herself for him again. It might be him that goes down in the end. The wizard community will remember him for a long time as the one who saved them.

myheartishis444 February 18th, 2007 4:37 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
So yeah I definately think Harry will die. i don't want him to.I love Harry. I really really do. But that prophecy says he can't live. The prophecy says "Neither can live while the other survives". So this says that if one of them is alive, neither of them cna still live. Maybe it's a figure of speach. If one of them dies, then the other can't LIVE as in living life to the fullest meaning of the word. But maybe it means that the magic between them says that if one dies, the other has to die too. If anyone can tell me somewhere where someone disproves my theory, please, PLEASE tell. I have been looking everywhere. I don't WANT him to die and I want to find someone who can prove me wrong. So PLEASE PLEASE prove my theory wrong.

imacheeto February 18th, 2007 4:40 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I really hope not! But I'd rather him die than Ron or Hermione.
btw myheartishis444, ur theory is pretty clever. i didn't even understand some of it(im 11)but i got the basic idea. but thankfully, i might be able to prove it wrong.
Dumbledore obviously analyzed the prophecy for a long time. I've even thought of things similar to your theory. so if you or I could come up w/ that theory, I think Dumbledore would have thought of it, and disposed of the theory. Dumbledore is smarter than pretty much anyone, and I think he would have told Harry if he was doomed to die no matter what he did to Voldy. Thats pretty heavy news. I hope you can't think of anything to contadict this, cause I too really don't want him to die.

sparkly February 18th, 2007 5:01 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by myheartishis444 (Post 4355162)
So yeah I definately think Harry will die. i don't want him to.I love Harry. I really really do. But that prophecy says he can't live. The prophecy says "Neither can live while the other survives". So this says that if one of them is alive, neither of them cna still live. Maybe it's a figure of speach. If one of them dies, then the other can't LIVE as in living life to the fullest meaning of the word. But maybe it means that the magic between them says that if one dies, the other has to die too. If anyone can tell me somewhere where someone disproves my theory, please, PLEASE tell. I have been looking everywhere. I don't WANT him to die and I want to find someone who can prove me wrong. So PLEASE PLEASE prove my theory wrong.

The prophecy does not say that neither can live - just that they can't survive while the other is alive. JKR deliberately chose the wording so that it doesn't mean that both have to die in order to destroy Voldermort.

Harry dying is not a theory because there is nothing in the books that indicate it will happen. As a matter of fact, the books give us plenty of clues that Harry will survive. In book six, JKR gave Harry a reason to want to survive by having him fall for Ginny. Ginny represents Harry's future after Voldermort is gone, and Harry very much wants that future. He is no longer looking behind him to the people he's lost - his parents and Sirius. Instead, Harry is looking forward to a life with Ginny, the Weasleys and Hermione.

From a writing perspective, there is no reason to bring Harry and Ginny together at the time it happens if Harry isn't going to survive. If Harry is going to die, JKR would have either waited until book seven to bring them together or she wouldn't have had them separate. Instead, she give Harry a glimpse of his future, but then causes him to turn away from that temporarily while he takes care of Voldermort. If Harry dies, it's not good technique for JKR to give him a girlfriend, then separate him from her, only to have him die.

RosieBirdy February 18th, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkly (Post 4355183)
The prophecy does not say that neither can live - just that they can't survive while the other is alive. JKR deliberately chose the wording so that it doesn't mean that both have to die in order to destroy Voldermort.

And either must die at the hand of the other, but neither can live while the other survives...

sur·vived; sur·viv·ing: to remain alive after a conflict or battle; to live on.

It actually does say that neither can live. I believe that the word "survives" in that context means one of the two being alive after killing the other. If that is the case, then one will die at the hand of the other, meaning that one will survive; but, as neither can live while the other survives, neither of them will be able to live, hence killing Harry and fulfilling the prophecy.

Also... the whole Ginny argument is that if Harry were going to die, he and Ginny would never have gotten together. I disagee with this. Harry knew that he was only putting Ginny in danger by continuing to be with her- that much we know. However, I also think he knew that his destiny set them apart, and that because of what he had to do, he and Ginny could never truly be together.

Just my thoughts. :p

LexiBlack February 18th, 2007 5:32 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuer_lisse (Post 4354753)
Inevitably yes. Jo has already established herself as an extraordinary author; a writer that doesnt follow trends or copy other styles. She is not going to follow the crowd and let the good guy always triumph.

Actually, in some instances she does follow the trend. Killing off Dumbledore was one of the biggest trends ever... she killed off Harry's source of knowledge. By doing this, Harry has to grow and perform what needs to be done on his own. Before, Dumbledore has been there to save Harry, now Harry becomes the hero.
I think she is going to follow another trend, and let the hero live in this series.

anabel February 18th, 2007 5:34 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by myheartishis444 (Post 4355162)
So yeah I definately think Harry will die. i don't want him to.I love Harry. I really really do. But that prophecy says he can't live. The prophecy says "Neither can live while the other survives". So this says that if one of them is alive, neither of them cna still live. Maybe it's a figure of speach. If one of them dies, then the other can't LIVE as in living life to the fullest meaning of the word. But maybe it means that the magic between them says that if one dies, the other has to die too. If anyone can tell me somewhere where someone disproves my theory, please, PLEASE tell. I have been looking everywhere. I don't WANT him to die and I want to find someone who can prove me wrong. So PLEASE PLEASE prove my theory wrong.

"Neither can live while the other survives" is just another way of saying "this town ain't big enough for the both of us!" If one is going to survive, the other must die.

_twilight_ February 19th, 2007 5:30 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I doubt it. If Harry is a horcrux, I'm sure he'll be able to find a way around it without dieing. :)

pensieve_master February 19th, 2007 7:42 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Harry will not die in the end. I would not be surprised if he dies but someone uses a timeturner to go back and then prevent his death.

I mean, how could JKR kill off "The Boy Who Lived"? Such a decision would haunt her for the rest of her life, I think.

anabel February 19th, 2007 10:49 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pensieve_master (Post 4356932)
I mean, how could JKR kill off "The Boy Who Lived"? Such a decision would haunt her for the rest of her life, I think.

Well, yes! It would make a lie of the very first chapter of PS if he died!

aprilpotter February 19th, 2007 10:53 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I don't think JKR would kill off a character such as Harry. She's obviously grown close to her characters, and killing off the main one would be a terrible decision. It would make the books extremely depressing and kind of an abrupt end to everything. There has been speculation about it, and it would in a way make the books "unique" (evil almost never triumphs over good) but I still don't think she would do it.

Sage_Firestone February 20th, 2007 1:19 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestrin (Post 4329502)
I think you bring some really important things up in your agument here. For a long time I really felt quite the same way. I thought Harry was a character who could never reach literary compleation untill he was aloud to get his one true desire: family. I though for the first five books that Harry would have to die to really be compleated; that way he could be with his mom dad and Sirius. I agree with you as well that if Harry succeded in killing Voldie he would be too big, too grand a character to continue on.

However I have changed my opinion after HBP. When Rowling gave Harry Ginny, she gave him a life after DH. Ginny is Harry's character compleation. She fufills his greatest desire, family. Through her he can marry into the Weasley's, as well as start his own family.

Also, we see through Dumbledore it is posible to continue living a life after defeating a powerful dark wizard. This along with the Ginny plotline makes me believe Harry will survive DH.



:tu: WOW. Celestrin, i gotta say: when I read your thoughts on Ginny as Harry's character completion, (i.e., that JK had inadvertanly, or, perhaps, on purpose, had established a life for him after DH) I got CHILLS!

BRAVO!

I certainly hope you're right!!!

mollyfranny February 20th, 2007 1:45 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
[quote=RosieBirdy;4355199
Also... the whole Ginny argument is that if Harry were going to die, he and Ginny would never have gotten together. I disagee with this. Harry knew that he was only putting Ginny in danger by continuing to be with her- that much we know. However, I also think he knew that his destiny set them apart, and that because of what he had to do, he and Ginny could never truly be together.

Just my thoughts. :p[/QUOTE]

I think the same way you do. I think that before Harry dies, Voldemort will give him some sort of chance to live as a trick. Harry will probably know that it is a trick, but will still want to do it. He will think about everything he is giving up and Ginny comes to mind and he has to make the ultimate sacrifice for her. He then kills Voldemort resulting in his own death. Tadah my ending to the story!!! It probably won't end up like that though.:tu:

Sage_Firestone February 20th, 2007 1:53 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
perhaps Harry is supposed to die?
could it be, not ONLY for the REAL sake and closure of the series, but an unintentional, (no offense) cop out, thereby ending the series at book 7?

was it planned this way all along????

Nagini11 February 20th, 2007 2:01 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Yes, but how does Harry Live a normal life??? He would grow up and not live a normal life so she cant say: he lived happily ever after. So in my opinion he has to die

Daelin February 20th, 2007 2:02 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage_Firestone (Post 4357531)
perhaps Harry is supposed to die?
could it be, not ONLY for the REAL sake and closure of the series, but an unintentional, (no offense) cop out, thereby ending the series at book 7?

was it planned this way all along????

First off, I want to be clear that I do not believe Harry Potter will die, based on evidences that probably interest only myself.

But to the last question, if there is anything of which we may be certain, it is that Jo Rowling has poured years of effort and emotion into Harry Potter and his world. I myself have written a couple novels - unpublished, and probably never will be - but I know what it takes to put together a story, not to mention the rewrites and countless details to check; the sheer volume of backstory for the Potter books must be huuuuge!

Even before the first novel was published, Rowling knew how the series would play out in general; she's admitted to a few changes, and to being tempted to make other changes, but the main story she has known even before the first book hit the first bookstore.

IF Harry Potter dies, it will be because the story demanded it, and for no other reason.

luv_nikki February 20th, 2007 2:17 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
The fact that she say's she's happy she completed the book and it's her favorite says to me that she didn't kill Harry. Why would she say it's her favorite book if she killed the main character at the end? I think if I'd done that to my main character I'd be calling it the worst book.

leenielou February 20th, 2007 3:06 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Right, I've deleted several posts. As everyone should know, this is a family friendly forum, and discussions involving self-harm, suicide, and any influence that JK Rowling could have upon these are not what I would term family friendly.

If that discussion starts up again I will be handing out warnings.

lolli February 20th, 2007 3:20 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leenielou (Post 4358196)
Right, I've deleted several posts. As everyone should know, this is a family friendly forum, and discussions involving self-harm, suicide, and any influence that JK Rowling could have upon these are not what I would term family friendly.

If that discussion starts up again I will be handing out warnings.

Well, the question goes: Will Harry die?
And the clear answer is NO. For the reasons you forbid to present here.

darkstaff07 February 20th, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Yeah, I agree w/ Nikki. Why would Rowling call book7 her favorite if she was going to kill the main character. That would make no sense. And anyway who would kill Voldemort if Harry was dead (except for maybe Neville.)?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:13 pm.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.