Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101059)

eviljim13 March 5th, 2007 3:33 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
If you write a "harry Potter"experience
expose Harry to death every year
save him
and then worry about us
you have problems

LJB85 March 5th, 2007 8:36 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I've changed my mind and now want to put on the record for myself to view after DH that I believe Harry Potter is going to survive. This was after all, my initial instinct when I first learned about the series. He has a fair chance.

dubbleB March 5th, 2007 12:56 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Reasons Harry won't die :
I) It would just be to depressing ,its not like Dumbledores death who had a long and relativly happy life . Harry's allready lost his parents,godfather and mentor ;he's been treated unfair by the minestry (thats saying it in the nicest way possible) and he 'll propably lose someone dear to him in DH.
II) The good guys always win,always
III)The prophecy says neither can live while the other survives. when you look up to survive in the dictionary you'll find:
1.to remain alive after the death of someone, the cessation of something, or the occurrence of some event; continue to live: Few survived after the holocaust.
2. to remain or continue in existence or use: Ancient farming methods still survive in the Middle East.
3. to get along or remain healthy, happy, and unaffected in spite of some occurrence: She's surviving after the divorce.
–verb (used with object) 4. to continue to live or exist after the death, cessation, or occurrence of: His wife survived him. He survived the operation.
5. to endure or live through(an affliction, adversity, misery, etc.): She's survived two divorces.
so these things will happen to Voldemort or to Harry and I just can' t picture Voldemort to survive(JKR can make it happen of course it's her book ,but I seriously doubt she wants evil to triumph).
IV) You can compare the books with a typical Silvester Stalone or Shwarzeneger movie( with about a billion times a billion more depth):
1 )introduction of the characters -> books 1,2&3
2 )the main hero is confronted with an arch ennimy , starts training for the final confrontation -> books 4,5 and the main part of book 6
3) the hero is put in an underdog position -> end of book 6 an propably most of book 7
4 )good triumphs over evil after a heroic battle -> propably end of book 7

magicxx March 5th, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I believe Harry won't die for a few reasons. First, it is a children's book, and J.K.R. wouldn't kill Harry and face having the world population of kids, and even adults, who read Harry Potter go into a deep state of depression because of him dieing. Secondly, I have just picked up MugglNet.com's book, and it states that in a unrecorded reading at a bookstore where J.K.R. was, somebody asked her if Ron, Harry, and Hermione would survive, and she answered yes. J.K.R. wouldn't lie, and she did answer this at the reading BEFORE her books were international bestsellers.

hermy1_owl March 6th, 2007 2:02 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I think Harry may or may not die. I believe it is most likely JKR won't make him die for the sake of many fans but I personally wouldn't mind. Actually, so long as Voldemort is vanquished I don't give a darn as to what happens. Oh, and I don't want Snape to die. Or Malfoy. I like it when the bad guys live ;)

Spritey March 6th, 2007 5:57 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by magicxx (Post 4379707)
I believe Harry won't die for a few reasons. First, it is a children's book, and J.K.R. wouldn't kill Harry and face having the world population of kids, and even adults, who read Harry Potter go into a deep state of depression because of him dieing. Secondly, I have just picked up MugglNet.com's book, and it states that in a unrecorded reading at a bookstore where J.K.R. was, somebody asked her if Ron, Harry, and Hermione would survive, and she answered yes. J.K.R. wouldn't lie, and she did answer this at the reading BEFORE her books were international bestsellers.

That's not canon, though. Not that I don't trust Mugglenet, but you know... canon. And wouldn't that ruin the ending? Even when JKR didn't realise it would be a bestseller, I get the impression she wouldn't be the type to spoil people. I don't see her sitting in a bookstore and going, "Oh, and btw, they all survive! Happy reading!" Kinda ruin the suspense, wouldn't it?

Oh, and for the record, I've given up on arguing the "think of the children!" point :) There's quotes throughout this thread which make that a shaky argument, IMO, but I'm beginning to sound like an echo...

magicxx March 6th, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I changed my mind..I don't think she would stop at killing him just because it's a children's book. But I still think that she wouldn't lie...so why would she answer yes to Harry, Hermy, and Ron surviving? If she didn't want to answer, we all know she wouldn't have..and I don't think she would've lied. But anyways: she also modified it and killed some people she never intened to, and let one live..so it might be one of them?

Spritey March 6th, 2007 11:00 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by magicxx (Post 4380988)
I changed my mind..I don't think she would stop at killing him just because it's a children's book. But I still think that she wouldn't lie...so why would she answer yes to Harry, Hermy, and Ron surviving? If she didn't want to answer, we all know she wouldn't have..and I don't think she would've lied. But anyways: she also modified it and killed some people she never intened to, and let one live..so it might be one of them?

But do we have any confirmation that she even said it? Because I don't think she'd lie either, so the logical answer is that she didn't actually say anything in the first place :) And you're right about the second part; two more people are going to die than she meant to. I'd say they would be outside characters though, to have such flexible fates, you know?

LikeLuna March 7th, 2007 1:23 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
This alleged quote could be referring to the trio living through the book being signed, not necessarily the whole series. I'm sure JKR has never told a fan whether the trio lives or dies. And I agree with Spritey that the fate of the trio has not changed, especially not Harry's fate. Seeing as he's the main character, JKR wouldn't begin writing Book 7 and halfway through think, "Oh, nevermind, Harry's going to die."

kimo_5250 March 7th, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbleB (Post 4378966)
Reasons Harry won't die :
I) It would just be to depressing ,its not like Dumbledores death who had a long and relativly happy life . Harry's allready lost his parents,godfather and mentor ;he's been treated unfair by the minestry (thats saying it in the nicest way possible) and he 'll propably lose someone dear to him in DH.
II) The good guys always win,always
III)The prophecy says neither can live while the other survives. when you look up to survive in the dictionary you'll find:
1.to remain alive after the death of someone, the cessation of something, or the occurrence of some event; continue to live: Few survived after the holocaust.
2. to remain or continue in existence or use: Ancient farming methods still survive in the Middle East.
3. to get along or remain healthy, happy, and unaffected in spite of some occurrence: She's surviving after the divorce.
–verb (used with object) 4. to continue to live or exist after the death, cessation, or occurrence of: His wife survived him. He survived the operation.
5. to endure or live through(an affliction, adversity, misery, etc.): She's survived two divorces.
so these things will happen to Voldemort or to Harry and I just can' t picture Voldemort to survive(JKR can make it happen of course it's her book ,but I seriously doubt she wants evil to triumph).
IV) You can compare the books with a typical Silvester Stalone or Shwarzeneger movie( with about a billion times a billion more depth):
1 )introduction of the characters -> books 1,2&3
2 )the main hero is confronted with an arch ennimy , starts training for the final confrontation -> books 4,5 and the main part of book 6
3) the hero is put in an underdog position -> end of book 6 an propably most of book 7
4 )good triumphs over evil after a heroic battle -> propably end of book 7


That doesn't mean they both can't die in an ultimate showdown where Harry is protecting his friends. He will kill Voldemort using the power of love, the magic that Voldemort hates, I mean come on Dumbledore has been hinting about love being the ultimate magic since the Sorcer's Stone

HPGW_4_ever March 8th, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Don't yell at me, but YES.
I believe that in the epilogue JK will tell us how Harry died. My hope is that it will be peacefully in his sleep after over 50 years of marriage to Ginny and having many many kids. He has to die or else there could be more books and JK doesn't want that thats why she has made jokes about Hp and the mid-life crisis. Sorry people.

dubbleB March 9th, 2007 11:37 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPGW_4_ever (Post 4383774)
Don't yell at me, but YES.
I believe that in the epilogue JK will tell us how Harry died. My hope is that it will be peacefully in his sleep after over 50 years of marriage to Ginny and having many many kids. He has to die or else there could be more books and JK doesn't want that thats why she has made jokes about Hp and the mid-life crisis. Sorry people.

If Harry dies after 50 years of mariage ,that means he'll be in his seventies that's actually not that old for a wizzard.

On a very difrent note allow me to go trough the prophecy phrase by phrase to explaining why I think Harry will live:
The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies This is what Snape heard and could refer to Nevil or Harry
and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not
For some obscure reason LV chose Harry unknowing Lillies love 'ld protect Harry against the Killing Curse ,LV made Harry his equal by killing both his parents and thus giving Harry the thrive to vanquish LV ,never to rest before this goal is achieved
and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives
LV kills Harry or Harry kills ,simple as that
Harry survives LV or LV survives Harry
Conlusion :
If Harry dies by the hand of LV it means that ther is no one left with the power to vanquish the dark lord (Nevil is out of the picture because LV didn't mark him as his equal) and LV will be able to live forever spreading a reign of terror . Very unhappy ending ,very depressing and very unlikely.
If Harry dies afther LV dies by the hand of Harry it will be someone else who killed Harry wich would mean that after building up to the final battle (where we all 've been waiting for for more than 3000 pages) someone pops up and says Avada Kedavra ,i'd say that would be pretty anticlimatic
The only remaining option would be that Hary kills LV after losing yet another dear friend and a huge weight falls of both Harrys and our shoulder

Oliverlvr20 March 10th, 2007 6:28 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I want to really hope that he will not die in the last book, and of course if JK follows the thing with the bad guy always loses then we can almost be gueranteed that he will not die, but you never know, possible Harry will die and Ron will finally gain courage and kill Voldermort.

Evil_Voldemort March 10th, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Hi. I hope Harry doesn't die in Book 7. I think Harry will defeat Voldemort in the end with his might and the Power of Love.

hagrids_wench March 10th, 2007 7:39 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

If Harry dies by the hand of LV it means that ther is no one left with the power to vanquish the dark lord (Nevil is out of the picture because LV didn't mark him as his equal) and LV will be able to live forever spreading a reign of terror . Very unhappy ending ,very depressing and very unlikely.
If Harry dies afther LV dies by the hand of Harry it will be someone else who killed Harry wich would mean that after building up to the final battle (where we all 've been waiting for for more than 3000 pages) someone pops up and says Avada Kedavra ,i'd say that would be pretty anticlimatic
:tu:

And this is where I think the truth lies. What would be the point of bringing a quest to an end with the death of the Hero? Even if the Hero dies in order to save others it still seems to me unfair that he would never enjoy the fruits of his labors. And before someone says that "life is unfair sometimes" I want to say that this is a book and books usually paint a happily ever after picture....at least in the genre. I think that anyone that dies in the final book will be "spares" even if they are "spares" that we as readers are attached to. I think we will get the chance to see some of the "bad" guys redeem themselves and some of the "good" guys make heroic last stands and I fully expect one of these to be Neville and another to be Snapeand/or Draco.

But I do not think Harry is slated for departure.

Wandhappy March 10th, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
harry wont die...why would J.K kill off a huge money maker?

unconvinced March 10th, 2007 8:42 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wandhappy (Post 4386565)
harry wont die...why would J.K kill off a huge money maker?

Perhaps becuase she is not in it purely for the money and has already said she does not was to write any follow-ups.

hagrids_wench March 11th, 2007 3:45 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wandhappy (Post 4386565)
harry wont die...why would J.K kill off a huge money maker?

I don't think it has anything to do with money and as stated above me she doesn't plan to write anymore Potter related books...except for a possible encyclopedic information volume. But no more stories, at least, she said. She has made enough money now so that I greatly doubt that she or her children and grandchildren will ever need to make any more.

I do think this,however, If Harry dies at the end of book seven...I do not see the last two movies doing very well at the box office. Possibly they won't even be made and I think the interest in the series as a whole would also suffer in the future. Who wants to read about the quest of the "boy who didn't die" only to find out that he does die in the end? I don't think it would matter what altruistic reason he might have for giving up his life or that he gets ambushed by Death Eaters and doesn't survive the point is most people want a happy ever after ending and Harry dying isn't it.

So I do not think the money is an issue that will keep Harry "safe" but I do think that any author wants to see their creation have a long life. Personally if I want to see the innocent die and the good guy lose I can read Stephen King. Harry is the heroic quest and that is different. Even King didn't kill Roland and no one is sacred in King's books.

Spritey March 11th, 2007 4:06 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hagrids_wench (Post 4387011)
I don't think it has anything to do with money and as stated above me she doesn't plan to write anymore Potter related books...except for a possible encyclopedic information volume. But no more stories, at least, she said. She has made enough money now so that I greatly doubt that she or her children and grandchildren will ever need to make any more.

I do think this,however, If Harry dies at the end of book seven...I do not see the last two movies doing very well at the box office. Possibly they won't even be made and I think the interest in the series as a whole would also suffer in the future. Who wants to read about the quest of the "boy who didn't die" only to find out that he does die in the end? I don't think it would matter what altruistic reason he might have for giving up his life or that he gets ambushed by Death Eaters and doesn't survive the point is most people want a happy ever after ending and Harry dying isn't it.

I would honestly wonder who stole WB's sense of "YAY MONEY!!" if that ever happened, since millions of people are still going to see those movies, whether Harry dies or not. I mean, "Charlotte's Web" still got made, right? And that's a kids movie, too (...Unlike Harry Potter, which is SERIOUS BIDNESS, obviously.) And I can't be the only one who doesn't read books/see movies for conventionally happy endings? *whimper*

hagrids_wench March 11th, 2007 5:06 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritey (Post 4387049)
I would honestly wonder who stole WB's sense of "YAY MONEY!!" if that ever happened, since millions of people are still going to see those movies, whether Harry dies or not. I mean, "Charlotte's Web" still got made, right? And that's a kids movie, too (...Unlike Harry Potter, which is SERIOUS BIDNESS, obviously.) And I can't be the only one who doesn't read books/see movies for conventionally happy endings? *whimper*

:lol: I am not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me...

While I do agree that Warner Bros. will get every penny they can out of this I still think that they would not have the turn out over time that they would if the last book had a Yay! ending. As far as Charlotte's Web is concerned, and I loved the book, I never thought of her as a hero I guess. I wonder why I didn't?? Odd. Either way Charlotte is not really an allegorical read and I guess that is the way I view Harry Potter. Good vs. Evil. Wilbur was more a potential victim for the greater good of supper.

I don't just watch happy ending type movies or expect them in books either but, by and large, this genre usually brings the hero into the greatest danger or test possible and allows him to triumph.

Of course JKR could be a newer breed of fantasy writer who would prefer to make the point that good doesn't always triumph. After all Harry is her "child" I suppose she can kill him off if she chooses to. I would be very disappointed though and so would thousands of her readers.

But then we would be able to debate why she did it for the next ten years wouldn't we? So mugglenet would always be here and we would never be lonely. :lol:

eviljim13 March 11th, 2007 5:06 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Jo herself is on the record as claiming that death is not the worst thing that can happen to you-destroying your soul to AVOID death is!!!!!!
So if Harry has to die to destroy EVIL we will get it and understand:p
That being said,all Jo has to do to maintain a degree of tension is to keep Harry's ultimate fate up in the air-continue to put him in Deathly situations-but ultimately NOT kill him,and when he is supreme over Voldemort-we will gasp at the "odds" involved but be satisfied that Harry has faced down death so many times that his win is well deserved:rockon:

hagrids_wench March 11th, 2007 5:30 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

That being said,all Jo has to do to maintain a degree of tension is to keep Harry's ultimate fate up in the air-continue to put him in Deathly situations-but ultimately NOT kill him,and when he is supreme over Voldemort-we will gasp at the "odds" involved but be satisfied that Harry has faced down death so many times that his win is well deserved:rockon:
My point exactly and I have said much the same thing in other threads. And why would she not keep us in suspense? Great marketing.

And his win is well deserved.

naikuria March 11th, 2007 10:47 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I think harry's death was forshadowed in POA,

"'Never forget that when thirteen dine together, the first to rise will be the first to die!'"

and

"What? said Harry, scrambling to his feet"

Note these quotes are not close to each other. The second one just shows that Harry was the first one to rise from the table where they were eating.

LikeLuna March 11th, 2007 3:54 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by naikuria (Post 4387420)
I think harry's death was forshadowed in POA,

"'Never forget that when thirteen dine together, the first to rise will be the first to die!'"

and

"What? said Harry, scrambling to his feet"

Note these quotes are not close to each other. The second one just shows that Harry was the first one to rise from the table where they were eating.

But Dumbledore was there, and he already died.

Spritey March 11th, 2007 11:20 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hagrids_wench (Post 4387123)
:lol: I am not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me...

S'alright, I confuse myself a lot, too :D

Quote:

Of course JKR could be a newer breed of fantasy writer who would prefer to make the point that good doesn't always triumph. After all Harry is her "child" I suppose she can kill him off if she chooses to. I would be very disappointed though and so would thousands of her readers.

But then we would be able to debate why she did it for the next ten years wouldn't we? So mugglenet would always be here and we would never be lonely. :lol:
Well, don't get me wrong, I think Harry will win... I just think he may die doing it. I agree with eviljim; one of the big differences between Harry and Voldemort is that Harry isn't afraid to die, whereas Voldemort is so terrified that he would ruin his soul to avoid it. However, I think the twist may be that (as ComicBookWorm said in this thread) Harry will be able to come back.

And this is one thing we keep coming back to... I've never gotten the impression that the majority of people who think Harry will die actually want Voldemort to win. I guess I'm thinking that death =/= failure is the point we need to consider.

hagrids_wench March 12th, 2007 12:06 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritey (Post 4388189)
S'alright, I confuse myself a lot, too :D



Well, don't get me wrong, I think Harry will win... I just think he may die doing it. I agree with eviljim; one of the big differences between Harry and Voldemort is that Harry isn't afraid to die, whereas Voldemort is so terrified that he would ruin his soul to avoid it. However, I think the twist may be that (as ComicBookWorm said in this thread) Harry will be able to come back.

And this is one thing we keep coming back to... I've never gotten the impression that the majority of people who think Harry will die actually want Voldemort to win. I guess I'm thinking that death =/= failure is the point we need to consider.

comicbookworm said..
Quote:

I think Harry will travel beyond the veil, but will not stay. In fact, I think he'll either pull or inadvertently push Voldemort in with him. He'll get to say goodbye to Dumbledore and Sirius and meet his parents. But then something will pull him back. That may be where love for Ginny (and his friends) comes in. This may be where the mirror comes in handy since his friends might call to him.

Since many heroic tales feature travel to the netherworld, it would be fitting. I think this trip will have more in common with Campbell's Hero's Journey than any one tale. In other words it will be more generic than specific.
This is exactly what I envision for Harry. I don't think that anyone wants Voldemort to win (well there are some screwy people out there) I think it is more that they seem to miss the fact that maybe he will go through the veil and still be able to return.

And I do think that the love of people for Harry on either side of the veil and his love for them may be the final magick. Love walks through fire and I feel that is what Harry has been doing for 6 books...the firewalk in the final book will pay for all. I believe he will survive.

Maybe the final sentence in the book that "may" include the last word as "scar" will read something like this ...."as the breeze blew Harry's unruly hair back from his brow those with him at the end saw that there was no longer any scar..."

The End. :lol:

Wright1771 March 12th, 2007 10:48 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I hope so, otherwise all my theories go down the tube!
Harry will die in the final battle with The Dark Lord! He won't kill Voldemort, his friends will... seeing Harry dead, they will destroy him.
Don't forget, 'Love will destroy Voldemort!'

dubbleB March 12th, 2007 3:27 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wright1771 (Post 4388905)
I hope so, otherwise all my theories go down the tube!
Harry will die in the final battle with The Dark Lord! He won't kill Voldemort, his friends will... seeing Harry dead, they will destroy him.
Don't forget, 'Love will destroy Voldemort!'

So you're saying
A) Harrys love won't suffice to kill Voldemort
B) The prophecy is rubbish (or maybe even a red herring)
C) After all this adventures and all that running up towards the final battle between Harry and Voldemort we'll leave Harry's point of view ,go the point of view of -insert name here- and have the final battle between Voldemort and -insert name here- instead

I just can't picture me reaching the last chapter thinking "This is it the final battle between Voldemort and Ha... nope not Harry ,he's already dead ,shame really I actually tought he was the hero of the series but aperently its all about -again insert name here-

Wandhappy March 12th, 2007 5:58 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbleB (Post 4389156)
So you're saying
A) Harrys love won't suffice to kill Voldemort
B) The prophecy is rubbish (or maybe even a red herring)
C) After all this adventures and all that running up towards the final battle between Harry and Voldemort we'll leave Harry's point of view ,go the point of view of -insert name here- and have the final battle between Voldemort and -insert name here- instead

I just can't picture me reaching the last chapter thinking "This is it the final battle between Voldemort and Ha... nope not Harry ,he's already dead ,shame really I actually tought he was the hero of the series but aperently its all about -again insert name here-

HAHAHAHA
thata funny
I thought what would be really bad as the end of the book would be
And eleven year old harry woke up from his very long dream....

i loved the -insert name here-

Lord_Kaine March 12th, 2007 6:21 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Well, the most sensible idea would be that Harry should survive, but unless he learns to battle (since he is actually planning on bringing down both LV and Snape), I would say the chance of him dying is 80%. When DH comes out, I will read for every clue that he has improved, but I honestly don't think that he, Ron, Hermione and Ginny together can last long against LV in combat. So, unless he are saved by some ancient love connected to magic, which I actually don't hope will happen, cause then it will once again be Harry, saved by some magical means he was not aware of, and the wizard world praising him for it. No more mysterious spells that will click in, it's time for Harry to become an adult and do what he has wanted to do all the time, fight Voldemort for the sake of his friends.

I still don't think Harry fears death, and I think he sees it as a small prize to pay if he can bring Voldemort down and save his friends. He would rather die himself than having to watch anyone of the others fall because of him.

__JMar__ March 12th, 2007 7:28 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Lord Kaine
I still don't think Harry fears death, and I think he sees it as a small prize to pay if he can bring Voldemort down and save his friends. He would rather die himself than having to watch anyone of the others fall because of him.
I definitely agree with that, Harry definitely doesn't fear death as Voldemort does, and I think that's one of the greater advantages he will have in the last battle. Sadly, death or serious injury seems inevitable for Harry...it definitely seems like the best way to end the series. Not best as in everyone will be happy about it, but...the most satisfying way I guess? I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say there. It sounded logical in my head. :shrug:

dubbleB March 12th, 2007 8:45 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord_Kaine (Post 4389318)
Well, the most sensible idea would be that Harry should survive, but unless he learns to battle (since he is actually planning on bringing down both LV and Snape), I would say the chance of him dying is 80%. When DH comes out, I will read for every clue that he has improved, but I honestly don't think that he, Ron, Hermione and Ginny together can last long against LV in combat. So, unless he are saved by some ancient love connected to magic, which I actually don't hope will happen, cause then it will once again be Harry, saved by some magical means he was not aware of, and the wizard world praising him for it. No more mysterious spells that will click in, it's time for Harry to become an adult and do what he has wanted to do all the time, fight Voldemort for the sake of his friends.

I still don't think Harry fears death, and I think he sees it as a small prize to pay if he can bring Voldemort down and save his friends. He would rather die himself than having to watch anyone of the others fall because of him.

I also think Harry's magical abilities don't even reach the ankles of LV or Snape's wich is obviously demonstrated at the end of book 6. I also think Harry should've put more effort in studying during his sixt year ,if I knew I had to face LV in 2 years time I'ld make sure I'ld be as ready as I possably could . I also think Harry'll propably realise the fact he needs to study harder since he had a serious wake up call at the end of book six.
Harry's to do list
-consider to come back to hogwarts where there are wizzards(who are more acomplished than the average wizzard in their own field) who can help him become a better wizzard
- drop quiditch (waste of time)
- listen more to Hermione

snugglepot March 13th, 2007 12:29 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
If Harry does die, I hope it is at the end of the Epilogue.
Something like:

"Harry became a very sucessful Auror, married Ginny, had 12 children and lived a long and happy life before finally dying at age 120.
The Wizarding World never forgot however, the story of the Boy Who Lived, the Boy Who Defeated Voldemort, the Boy with the lightening bolt scar"

MissMalfoyToYou March 13th, 2007 12:40 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
i don't think he will, simply for the fact that while these books have "grown up" the same way Harry has, they are still for children (sorta) and JKR couldn't do that to all the kids in the world who love Harry.

...i like to call that *wishful thinking* on my part. and because if only 2 people die, i don't think one of them would be Harry.

Alonna March 13th, 2007 1:26 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMalfoyToYou (Post 4389792)
i don't think he will, simply for the fact that while these books have "grown up" the same way Harry has, they are still for children (sorta) and JKR couldn't do that to all the kids in the world who love Harry.

...i like to call that *wishful thinking* on my part. and because if only 2 people die, i don't think one of them would be Harry.

JKR didn't say that only two people would die. She said that two characters who were originally supposed to live are now going to die. The characters whose fates have been changed are probably minor ones since I cannot see JKR changing her mind about the fates of the main people like the Trio, Voldemort, and Snape. Their fates have been sealed for a long time.

I cannot see JKR simply allowing Harry to live because it might upset the readers. She planned the series out before it became popular, so it is unlikely that she ever considered how the ending would affect people when she first wrote it. She wrote the last chapter before the first book was even sold to the publisher, meaning that public opinion has no real bearing on whether Harry lives or dies.

MissMalfoyToYou March 13th, 2007 1:53 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonna (Post 4389845)
JKR didn't say that only two people would die. She said that two characters who were originally supposed to live are now going to die. The characters whose fates have been changed are probably minor ones since I cannot see JKR changing her mind about the fates of the main people like the Trio, Voldemort, and Snape. Their fates have been sealed for a long time.

I cannot see JKR simply allowing Harry to live because it might upset the readers. She planned the series out before it became popular, so it is unlikely that she ever considered how the ending would affect people when she first wrote it. She wrote the last chapter before the first book was even sold to the publisher, meaning that public opinion has no real bearing on whether Harry lives or dies.

I had thought it was said that only two characters were dying, but i could very well be mistaken. I figured she's had it all planned out, especially for her main ones, but sometimes things change. Did she really write out the chapter? I know she knew what was going to happen, but i can't see her actually having it all written out.

Spritey March 13th, 2007 3:12 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMalfoyToYou (Post 4389891)
I had thought it was said that only two characters were dying, but i could very well be mistaken. I figured she's had it all planned out, especially for her main ones, but sometimes things change. Did she really write out the chapter? I know she knew what was going to happen, but i can't see her actually having it all written out.

I watched it on tv, and she definitely said two more. Sorry ^_^ From Accioquote:

Quote:

Jo: The final chapter is hidden away, although it has now changed very slightly. One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die ...

Judy: Two much loved ones?

Jo: Well, you know. A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil. They don't target the extras do they? They go for the main characters, or I do.
Did I mention that Richard and Judy is the most cringeworthy show I've forced myself to watch for Harry Potter in a long time? Ouch, seriously.

Quote:

This is exactly what I envision for Harry. I don't think that anyone wants Voldemort to win (well there are some screwy people out there) I think it is more that they seem to miss the fact that maybe he will go through the veil and still be able to return.
Well, there are some people who identify more with the DEs, of course. I don't get it, like, but it's their call... *frown*

MissMalfoyToYou March 13th, 2007 3:20 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
i have a feeling that i'm going to cry my way through the last half of this book...ohh JKR, how could you kill off so many? haha

hagrids_wench March 13th, 2007 4:21 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritey (Post 4389982)
Well, there are some people who identify more with the DEs, of course. I don't get it, like, but it's their call... *frown*

I don't get that either Spritey. There just seems to be something inherently wrong with that. Creepy. :err:

patricksvd March 13th, 2007 10:27 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Dark_Lord_ (Post 4335729)
I've somehow got the feeling that Harry has to sacrifice himself in order to kill Voldemort. Voldemort just seems way too powerful and evil that Harry can kill him and make a full recovery just like that, regardless how Harry will kill him. It's a similar situation to something that happened in the Japanese anime "Naruto". In order to defeat Kyuubi (the most powerful being in the Naruto universe) and ensure the safety of his village, its head (the Fourth Hokage) sacrificed himself. I don't think the price Harry and the wizarding world will have to pay for Voldemort's death will only be the lives of some of Harry's friends amongst many other wizards and witches, but perhaps also his own life.

If his scar indeed is a Horcrux and I believe it is, I doubt he will survive the final fight will Voldemort. If Harry indeed sacrificed himself and got rid of the final Horcrux this way, there would be not a chance in the world Voldemort would survive this. It's just not possible that Harry dies and Voldemort lives on. The prophecy said that neither can live while the other survives, but it didn't say that one of them would definitely survive. Sacrificing himself to defeat the evil forces and safe the wizarding world would be an extremely heroic and noble thing to do. I also don't think that Harry could live on happily after having gotten his revenge, but this also depends on whether his closest friends survive. Death also doesn't seem like the completely wrong destiny for Harry, he would be reunited with his parents and Sirius again (as he thought in the MoM when Voldemort possessed him). I really hope he doesn't die, but I think his death might be necessary to defeat Voldemort. That's not exactly what we want a happy ending to look like though, is it?

:agree: that really makes sense... i for one really hope rowling would not get into killing Harry in the end, but i guess that final twist in the end of the series would be true to Harry's character as a real noble hero (besides, i dont think my hopes for the story counts a lot) :sigh: ... Sacrificing himself for others' sake would make a lot of sense...:upset:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbleB (Post 4389156)
So you're saying
A) Harrys love won't suffice to kill Voldemort
B) The prophecy is rubbish (or maybe even a red herring)
C) After all this adventures and all that running up towards the final battle between Harry and Voldemort we'll leave Harry's point of view ,go the point of view of -insert name here- and have the final battle between Voldemort and -insert name here- instead

I just can't picture me reaching the last chapter thinking "This is it the final battle between Voldemort and Ha... nope not Harry ,he's already dead ,shame really I actually tought he was the hero of the series but aperently its all about -again insert name here-

yah, that was really a weird way of ending the series...:td:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbleB (Post 4389156)
So you're saying
A) Harrys love won't suffice to kill Voldemort
B) The prophecy is rubbish (or maybe even a red herring)
C) After all this adventures and all that running up towards the final battle between Harry and Voldemort we'll leave Harry's point of view ,go the point of view of -insert name here- and have the final battle between Voldemort and -insert name here- instead

I just can't picture me reaching the last chapter thinking "This is it the final battle between Voldemort and Ha... nope not Harry ,he's already dead ,shame really I actually tought he was the hero of the series but aperently its all about -again insert name here-

yeah, that would really be a weird way of ending the series...:td:

darthrose March 13th, 2007 10:52 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
This is something that's been on my mind while reading this thread: HP relates to LOTR in a lot of ways so maybe the ending could be like the ending in LOTR? Like, Harry knows he has to go or something and so he has to say his goodbyes and it's really sad, but happy at the same time because he'll finally be with his parents. Kind of a bittersweet ending, you know what I mean? I could see that happening. So, yes he does die, but it's going to be okay because everyone will remember his bravery and what he did and he will live on in a different way. Just a random thought I figured I'd throw out there...

__JMar__ March 13th, 2007 3:01 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Well I'm not sure how I feel about the whole
Quote:

HP relates to LOTR in a lot of ways
I do like them both separately but I guess you're kind of right. They are prety similar in the whole adventure-that-will-probably-kill-the-main-character-inevitable-sad-ending kind of way.

Even if Harry is able to defeat Voldemort without dying, there's no way things are going to go back to normal with him. I was kind of thinking about that before...like, OK so Harry defeats Voldemort and everything is great now? It just seems highly unlikely that Harry will ever get some peace that way, which adds to another reason why he might die. If he dies, maybe he'll finally get some peace. :shrug:

I'm still not sure if that makes sense, it's pretty early over here...my train of thought=not functioning too well. :hmm:

dubbleB March 13th, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by darthrose (Post 4390335)
This is something that's been on my mind while reading this thread: HP relates to LOTR in a lot of ways so maybe the ending could be like the ending in LOTR? Like, Harry knows he has to go or something and so he has to say his goodbyes and it's really sad, but happy at the same time because he'll finally be with his parents. Kind of a bittersweet ending, you know what I mean? I could see that happening. So, yes he does die, but it's going to be okay because everyone will remember his bravery and what he did and he will live on in a different way. Just a random thought I figured I'd throw out there...

yeah but none of the LOTR main characters died did they (none of the four hobits died similarity with Ron,Hermione,Harry,Ginny?) ? I think maybe book seven 'll have a bittersweet ending but it doesn't necesarilly mean someone'll have to die to achieve that affect

anabel March 13th, 2007 4:03 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
If there is a parallel to LotR, then Harry, Ron and Hermione will probably be brought back from the brink of death, having been willing to sacrifice themselves to vanquish Voldemort. It's a classic storyline that I think would work very well, especially since it ties in with the theme of sacrifice started by Lily at Godric's Hollow.

__JMar__ March 13th, 2007 4:22 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Ron and Hermione will probably be brought back from the brink of death, having been willing to sacrifice themselves to vanquish Voldemort. It's a classic storyline that I think would work very well, especially since it ties in with the theme of sacrifice started by Lily at Godric's Hollow.
That's a good point. It is a classic storyline, and unlike most of the other possible endings, it wouldn't seem...weird or unsatisfying. It would fit in with the heroic atmosphere of HP. :lol:

by the way...my friend who is sitting next to me wants me to tell you that she says "Hi, and that Tom Felton is hot. :clap:"
^^talk about off topic. :rolleyes:

anabel March 13th, 2007 5:50 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Hi, __JMar's__ friend! :clap: I'm not so keen on Tom Felton myself, so he's all yours!

Lord_Kaine March 13th, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by __JMar__ (Post 4390527)
I was kind of thinking about that before...like, OK so Harry defeats Voldemort and everything is great now? It just seems highly unlikely that Harry will ever get some peace that way, which adds to another reason why he might die.

A very good statement. Harry is going to have the fight of his life, and a few of his friends, as well. Unless, everyone survives in a kind of miracle-way, if he don't die, he might very well be scarred beyond healing. It's not like he can dispose of Voldemort and by that act, get rid of all those dark feelings he've been kept during the years. Much have happend to him, and I don't think it's easily cured, not even by his friends, perhaps not even Ginny.

Some scars never do heal. Harry might be in for a surprise if and when he fulfills his revenge. It's not easy to go back to happyland when you've been set on revenge for so long. And despite doing it for the good of all, Harry knows that he will either die or become a murderer.

__JMar__ March 13th, 2007 7:52 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anabel
Hi, __JMar's__ friend! I'm not so keen on Tom Felton myself, so he's all yours!
haha you just made her day. :)


So back to the subject...
Quote:

Harry knows that he will either die or become a murderer.
That's a good point...even if Harry kills Voldemort he will have killed someone (even if it is an evil person) and no doubt that will have an effect on him. Again, things look pretty bleak for Harry, death or no death. :sad:

jaredwwe94 March 13th, 2007 10:46 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I dont know who is going to die in the seventh book - though i did hear a rumor that JKR was starting some teen helpline thing, so if thats true than one of the "good" guys will probally die - it could be Harry, Hermione, Ron, Hagrid, or sombody else i dont really know





DONT SPOIL BOOK 7 OR ILL TELL VOLDEMORT WHERE YOU LIVE AND THAT YOUR IN THE ORDER:grumble:

hagrids_wench March 14th, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbleB (Post 4390585)
yeah but none of the LOTR main characters died did they (none of the four hobits died similarity with Ron,Hermione,Harry,Ginny?) ? I think maybe book seven 'll have a bittersweet ending but it doesn't necesarilly mean someone'll have to die to achieve that affect

No, none of the Hobbits died and Frodo and Bilbo didn't immediately go to the Grey Havens and over the sea. That information is all in the appendices at the end of the book. With the exception of Gandalf no one in the fellowship dies...well Boromir but that was the fault of the ring and his inborn greed.

Quote:

Some scars never do heal. Harry might be in for a surprise if and when he fulfills his revenge. It's not easy to go back to happyland when you've been set on revenge for so long. And despite doing it for the good of all, Harry knows that he will either die or become a murderer.
You made me think...do you suppose Harry would have sought revenge for the death of his parents or do you think that because Voldemort keeps trying to kill him the self defense is mixed up with revenge? I just wonder if Harry had gone to Hogwarts and Voldemort had left him alone what may have been different?

Quote:

yeah, that would really be a weird way of ending the series...:td:
The weirdest way of ending Harry Potter would be if Dudley awoke in the middle of the night after eating too much junk food and yelled "MOM! DAD! I JUST HAD THIS REALLY WEIRD DREAM ABOUT THAT KID WE KEEP IN THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS!"
Now THAT would be weird!:hmm:

__JMar__ March 14th, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hagrids_wench (Post 4391385)
You made me think...do you suppose Harry would have sought revenge for the death of his parents or do you think that because Voldemort keeps trying to kill him the self defense is mixed up with revenge? I just wonder if Harry had gone to Hogwarts and Voldemort had left him alone what may have been different?

That's definitely some food for thought...I wonder if he would have wanted revenge for his parents. Because like you said I'm sure he now feels that yes, he's after Voldemort because otherwise he would die, but there must be some revenge in there, not only for his parents but for everyone else Voldemort has killed.

I like to think that even if Voldemort hadn't pursued him, Harry would've felt compelled to do something heroic and try to save the wizarding world anyway. There would still be a chance that he would have been dragged into it not only because of his parents but because he attends Hogwarts and Hogwarts=Dumbledore=standing in the way of Voldemort's ultimate take over. lol

Quote:

The weirdest way of ending Harry Potter would be if Dudley awoke in the middle of the night after eating too much junk food and yelled "MOM! DAD! I JUST HAD THIS REALLY WEIRD DREAM ABOUT THAT KID WE KEEP IN THE CUPBOARD UNDER THE STAIRS!"
Now THAT would be weird!:hmm:
:rotfl: That would be something. Thankfully, the entire HP series is a little to elaborate for a dream. :)

hagrids_wench March 14th, 2007 4:38 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by __JMar__ (Post 4391485)
That's definitely some food for thought...I wonder if he would have wanted revenge for his parents. Because like you said I'm sure he now feels that yes, he's after Voldemort because otherwise he would die, but there must be some revenge in there, not only for his parents but for everyone else Voldemort has killed.

I like to think that even if Voldemort hadn't pursued him, Harry would've felt compelled to do something heroic and try to save the wizarding world anyway. There would still be a chance that he would have been dragged into it not only because of his parents but because he attends Hogwarts and Hogwarts=Dumbledore=standing in the way of Voldemort's ultimate take over. lol


:rotfl: That would be something. Thankfully, the entire HP series is a little to elaborate for a dream. :)

It makes you think doesn't it? Most people would not have an opportunity to get revenge for wrongdoings. Because Voldemort is so determined to murder Harry he has put himself front and center. I am sure that revenge has it's place now in Harry's quest...but I wonder if it will at the end?

I am reminded of what another wizard once said...Many die that deserve life and many who live deserve death...and how it comes down to the power of whether or not you can take or give life to others. I really wonder in the end how Harry will destroy Voldemort (and I have no doubt he will) and if he may have to come to mourn and love the man Voldemort could have been in order to destroy what he has become ...killing him with kindness so to speak.

I think we are probably all so far off the mark about the ending of the last book. JKR is the penultimate tease all you have to do is go to war with that website of hers to see that. She is having the time of her life, at our expense, and well deserved it is too.:lol:

dubbleB March 14th, 2007 12:02 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I think Harry doesn't seek revenge he just wants all the sufering to end ,he wants to make sure his parents did'nt die for nothing . The only reason the prophecy is going to come true is because LV is so determined to act upon the prophecy and this wil logicaly turn out in a final battle where one will end up 'killing' the other . I have even a little scene in my head :Harry will lie there wandless, practicly defeaten by LV and than LV wil start telling all the horrible things he'll do to his friends and than Harry 'll proform wandless magic coming from deep within his hart ,triggered by the visualisation of his loved ones' sufering and he'll have a red(the excact oposite of green) aura existing of pure love and LV ' soul 'll leave his body agonised by the feeling of love and the evil(weaker and torn) soul wil be destroyed. LV's body'll lie there with no visible sign of a curse hitting him except that his eyes'll turn to normal (much like Avada Kedavra but powered by love rather than by hate)

This is just a bit of fanfiction but I think it would explain a lot : the power the Dark Lord knows not,the importance of Harry's eyes (the eyes are the window to the soul ),it'll also supports the theory that Harry won't commit murder because this magic would'nt work on a person whose soul is whole and untarnished whereas the Killing Curse works on both evil and innocent people and is purely designed to kill

Lord_Kaine March 14th, 2007 1:27 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hagrids_wench (Post 4391683)
It makes you think doesn't it? Most people would not have an opportunity to get revenge for wrongdoings. Because Voldemort is so determined to murder Harry he has put himself front and center. I am sure that revenge has it's place now in Harry's quest...but I wonder if it will at the end?

I agree, I think it has. Remember the conversation between Harry and Dumbledore, when Dumbledore asked him what he would have wanted to do if he hadn't heard the prophecy. Harrys thoughts went to those who had died, his parents, Sirius and Cedric, and his response was that he wanted to kill him with his own hands.

Harry might do it for other reasons as well, but the way he talks at the end of HBP, does reveal that even if he is after Voldemort for other reasons, there is still a small piece of him that wants to take revenge, on both LV and Snape.

hagrids_wench March 14th, 2007 2:50 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

I have even a little scene in my head :Harry will lie there wandless, practicly defeaten by LV and than LV wil start telling all the horrible things he'll do to his friends and than Harry 'll proform wandless magic coming from deep within his hart ,triggered by the visualisation of his loved ones' sufering and he'll have a red(the excact oposite of green) aura existing of pure love and LV ' soul 'll leave his body agonised by the feeling of love and the evil(weaker and torn) soul wil be destroyed.
I can see something like this happening. It makes sense.

Quote:

Harry might do it for other reasons as well, but the way he talks at the end of HBP, does reveal that even if he is after Voldemort for other reasons, there is still a small piece of him that wants to take revenge, on both LV and Snape.
I agree with this. Being "human" I do not see how you cannot want it but I agree that Harry's need for revenge is probably overshadowed and mixed in with other "purer" reasons for wanting Voldemort gone.

tmoniez March 14th, 2007 3:10 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jammi567 (Post 4329244)
yay! first post.

no, i don't think it would, because that would be going against the theme that good always wins. and anyway, this is a kids book, so i think it would upset them if he did die.

I totally agree with you, Jamy. Jo just doesn't seem like the kind of person to let evil prevail. There is already enough negativity in the world, and I can't see Jo adding to it. She rose from ashes herself to bring the world this amazing story which has brought a whole world community together to read, discuss and anticipate. This readership is as diverse as the UN itself, and has similar hopes for peace in the Wizarding and Muggle communities. I cannot see Jo kill off Harry, her "baby" and our hero.

AnnaSofia March 15th, 2007 7:32 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I think that Harry will die because is the only way to:
1. Find out about the secrets of death and what is behind the veil.
2. Learn where you go when you die.( Harry asks Nick, at the end of book 5, persistently where someone goes when is dead )
3. Learn why some people become ghosts.
4. No one else could write a book about Harry.

Lord_Kaine March 15th, 2007 7:53 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaSofia (Post 4394045)
I think that Harry will die because is the only way to:
1. Find out about the secrets of death and what is behind the veil.
2. Learn where you go when you die.( Harry asks Nick, at the end of book 5, persistently where someone goes when is dead )
3. Learn why some people become ghosts.
4. No one else could write a book about Harry.

I agree on nr.1 and nr.2 specially. There has been alot of talks during the books about death and what happens afterwards, if you decide to move on, and not leave your imprint of a shadow behind. Harry, due to reasons we all might guess, has been very curious about this matter, and I wouldn't be that much surprised (a little shocked, perhaps), but not surprised, if he finally get his answers.

BurrowGhoul March 15th, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
But Harry wasn't asking for himself. He was asking because he didn't want to lose Sirius. I don't think he is ready to follow him behind the veil yet.

Lord_Kaine March 15th, 2007 9:13 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul (Post 4394152)
But Harry wasn't asking for himself. He was asking because he didn't want to lose Sirius. I don't think he is ready to follow him behind the veil yet.

True, true, I'm not saying otherwise. Harry is curious due to Sirius death, and if there's any way to get him back. The point I think I'm trying to make is, that is has been many "what if" when it comes to the death subject. In book nr. 1, Harry sees his parents and relatives in the mirror, and don't want to leave them. In book 3, he has thoughts (if only for a heartbeat) about not being able to hear the echoes of his parents if he learns a Patronus. In book 4, he meets the shadows of Cedric, Frank Bryce, Bertha and his parents. In book 5, Sirius dies, causing Harry to question Nick about ghosts and the afterlife. In book 6, Harry now mourns DD's death, and seems to come to the final conclusion about it. While he, like any other, mourns those who are gone, we don't get to know what he thinks about it, except that he don't fear it, unlike Voldemort, and that's the reason I think Harry might die, he isn't going to hide behind someone else and let them go down instead of him. Harry and his close encounters with death has always been about "the next adventure" and "moving on". Is this a foreshadowing, or just Dumbledore and Nicks viewpoints?

AnnaSofia March 15th, 2007 9:36 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I totally agree with you Lord_Kaine. I believe that behind the veil or lets say at the other side are people who are dead. Couldn't be that place something like paradise? But in wizarding world that place couldn't be known as Deathly Hallow's?

aprilpotter March 16th, 2007 5:52 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I don't believe he will, despite the grim title of the book. A death would be so..devastating to the series readers and kind of anti-climatic. If Harry died, there would just be an empty feeling at the end.

Spritey March 16th, 2007 6:30 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
^ You're being a bit optimistic, aren't you? There's going to be an empty feeling however she ends it :) Cookie dough ice cream for all, you know?

Anyway, I agree with AnnaSofia and Lord_Kaine, but I think he'll come back afterwards.

aprilpotter March 16th, 2007 8:59 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritey (Post 4394864)
^ You're being a bit optimistic, aren't you? There's going to be an empty feeling however she ends it :) Cookie dough ice cream for all, you know?

Anyway, I agree with AnnaSofia and Lord_Kaine, but I think he'll come back afterwards.


Well yeah, haha. But optimism is what motivates us all to keep going :) Wow that was deep. But anyway, I'll feel empty no matter what, but if Harry died, it would just be...I don't even know how to explain it! :no:

AnnaSofia March 16th, 2007 12:37 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritey (Post 4394864)
^ You're being a bit optimistic, aren't you? There's going to be an empty feeling however she ends it :) Cookie dough ice cream for all, you know?

Anyway, I agree with AnnaSofia and Lord_Kaine, but I think he'll come back afterwards.

Well I don't think he'll come back. JR said, at Radio City Music Hall of NY on Augoust 2006, that "some people will loathe it and some people will love it, but that's how it should be".
I think by that she mean that Harry will die but afterwards he'll meet all the persons who loved and are dead. So he will be happy because they will be altogether. That's why some of us will loathe it and some will love it.

Spritey March 16th, 2007 2:38 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaSofia (Post 4395023)
Well I don't think he'll come back. JR said, at Radio City Music Hall of NY on Augoust 2006, that "some people will loathe it and some people will love it, but that's how it should be".
I think by that she mean that Harry will die but afterwards he'll meet all the persons who loved and are dead. So he will be happy because they will be altogether. That's why some of us will loathe it and some will love it.

I'm pretty sure "some people will loathe it" could apply to anything Jo writes - she knows (to an extent) how invested we get in things like 'shipping, theories, etc. Book 7 is going to crash a lot of things forever - I can think of about 10 things (just off the top of my head) that're gonna 'cause drama, whichever way the books go. I just hope she still has that fake goatee saved from the Mark Evans fiasco ^_^

However, seeing your point, maybe it could be the opposite? Harry dying, seeing his parents, then coming back will probably 'cause a few heads to go splodey. "OMG THAT'S SO CRUEL!!" and all? Or maybe even, "OMG BUT YOU SAID PEOPLE CAN'T COME BACK!"?

AnnaSofia March 16th, 2007 2:57 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritey (Post 4395112)
I'm pretty sure "some people will loathe it" could apply to anything Jo writes - she knows (to an extent) how invested we get in things like 'shipping, theories, etc. Book 7 is going to crash a lot of things forever - I can think of about 10 things (just off the top of my head) that're gonna 'cause drama, whichever way the books go. I just hope she still has that fake goatee saved from the Mark Evans fiasco ^_^

However, seeing your point, maybe it could be the opposite? Harry dying, seeing his parents, then coming back will probably 'cause a few heads to go splodey. "OMG THAT'S SO CRUEL!!" and all? Or maybe even, "OMG BUT YOU SAID PEOPLE CAN'T COME BACK!"?

But if Harry will live what would be the meaning of his life if Ron or Hermione or both of them are dead? He'll be alone for the rest of his life and will feel guilty. Though he might kill LV i think that DEs will never leave Harry in peace until they kill him. Is that life?

Trigunmax March 17th, 2007 8:12 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Let me start off by saying since the very beginning I've always believed Harry was going to die and nothing changed my mind EXCEPT now I think diffrent. I have only read the first book once (because my sister got mad a destoryed it years ago and i was to lazy to get a new one) well I bought a new one reread it and saw something that changed my mind about Harry's doom.

In chapter 16 page 263 right away in the first sentance it says this--

"In years to come, Harry would never quite remember how he had managed to get through his exams when he half expected Voldemort to come bursting through the door at any moment"

Now 'years to come" is the main thing there, you could argue that his third,fourth,fifth,sixth (and of course seventh if he returns) year at hogwarts is years to come (second wouldnt be yearS it would be year so thats out) so that might be when he's remembering

But lets look at it really-- obvisouly he's remembering being afraid of LV popping into his classroon to kill him in his first year but he is also afraid of it during all the other school years. (having DD around helps but still, id be afraid)

now to me it seems at the time he's remembering this its years later looking back at his life in amasment at the fact he got through exams. Usaually you dont look back on your life like this untill many years after it happened not only a few, expecally while your still in school still afraid of the same thing. It also to me seems like he's not afraid of LV showing up anymore at least thats what I got when I read that.

Of course this doesnt 100% mean its 'years' later and 'harry lived LV died yahoo'! but it seems that way to me,

of course I could be wrong and he could just be sitting at the great hall eating in his so-and-so year and looking back at his first but it seems unlikly

--I'm sorry if someone has already said this or something but I'm to lazy to look through this entire thread ...but if someone has then I'm sorry for seamingly coping you (although im not :no: ) and I agree with you on this :lol:

And of course JK coulda done this then thinking he'd live and this would slightly help forshadow it then change her mind and plan his death...

Let me also say that relization hit me this morning...this is the LAST book comming out...i mean i knew it was but it never really hit me untill now...i know im a little slow on the uptake :err:

hagrids_wench March 17th, 2007 1:46 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaSofia (Post 4395126)
But if Harry will live what would be the meaning of his life if Ron or Hermione or both of them are dead? He'll be alone for the rest of his life and will feel guilty. Though he might kill LV i think that DEs will never leave Harry in peace until they kill him. Is that life?

Even though I can understand a little where you are coming from it is as though you feel if we lose someone our lives no longer have any purpose. I lost a very dear friend in February he was the victim of a drunk driver. We are all devastated and angry but our lives still have meaning. Perhaps even more than formerly.

I do not see Harry being alone for the rest of his life. That is like saying he has no ability to make a friend outside of Ron and Hermione or that he cannot fall in love and raise a family or that no one else cares about him. He may feel guilty but I think his character is such that he would realize that whatever his friends did or stood for, that may have brought about their death, that it was a matter of their personal principles not just throwing themselves in front of Harry to save him, so to speak.

I have wondered about the Death Eaters also. I think that with the demise of Voldemort they will no longer be running around trying to do his bidding. Usually when the head honcho is destroyed his followers can only pick up the pieces of their lives and try to cover their butts.:lol:

anabel March 17th, 2007 3:31 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hagrids_wench (Post 4396636)
I have wondered about the Death Eaters also. I think that with the demise of Voldemort they will no longer be running around trying to do his bidding. Usually when the head honcho is destroyed his followers can only pick up the pieces of their lives and try to cover their butts.

Pretty much last last time Voldemort disappeared. :agree: Only a few of the more deranged DEs actually looked for him. Most of them pretended they'd been Imperioed and carried on with their lives. MacNair even got a job working for the Ministry!

hagrids_wench March 17th, 2007 5:03 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anabel (Post 4396713)
Pretty much last last time Voldemort disappeared. :agree: Only a few of the more deranged DEs actually looked for him. Most of them pretended they'd been Imperioed and carried on with their lives. MacNair even got a job working for the Ministry!

That's what I feel too. If he is utterly destroyed what on earth would be the point of a vendetta? Unless of course there is another powerful wizard that can take his place as the new bad guy on the block. And then what would be the point of the series?

"Today Lord Voldemort was utterly destroyed taking Harry Potter and all of Hogwarts with him. But don't despair folks Lucius Malfoy:evil: is ready and able to fill his dastardly shoes" :lol:

Yeah. I am thinking that Lucius and his buddies will be smiling big :D and covering their butts.

Wish JKR would write an "after the end of Voldemort" book. :no:

eviljim13 March 18th, 2007 2:33 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Having established Harry as not fearing death,and also Voldemort as the opposite,I can accept Harry dieing in the ultimate quest for the vangquished Dark Lord-but NO!!!!Harry is given to us right from the get go as the "boy who lived"I don't beleive he is destined to be the boy who died after being the boy who lived-that wouldn't make any sense!I agree that having Harry live would be more traditional than having Harry die wich however it played out would be kind of post modern and radicle or whatever-but I don't think so.Harry will be challenged like never before-come face to face with death once ajain-spit in its face and LIVE!

Mr_Watson March 18th, 2007 3:08 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eviljim13 (Post 4397522)
Having established Harry as not fearing death,and also Voldemort as the opposite,I can accept Harry dieing in the ultimate quest for the vangquished Dark Lord-but NO!!!!Harry is given to us right from the get go as the "boy who lived"I don't beleive he is destined to be the boy who died after being the boy who lived-that wouldn't make any sense!I agree that having Harry live would be more traditional than having Harry die wich however it played out would be kind of post modern and radicle or whatever-but I don't think so.Harry will be challenged like never before-come face to face with death once ajain-spit in its face and LIVE!

That would basically mean that he can live forever. Because he's the boy that lived, so he can't possibly die. The boy who lived is just a phrase, or whatever, that people used to describe Harry after Voldy's downfall. Not because he'll live forever, but because he was hit by Avada Kedavra and lived.

eviljim13 March 18th, 2007 4:34 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Yes of course you are right:err:
I only meant within the context of book 7 I am saying only that "the boy who lived" will continue to do so at the end of "Deathly Hallows" but not forever!!!!Of course Harry Potter will die,some day:lol:

Lord_Kaine March 18th, 2007 12:28 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eviljim13 (Post 4397685)
Yes of course you are right:err:
I only meant within the context of book 7 I am saying only that "the boy who lived" will continue to do so at the end of "Deathly Hallows" but not forever!!!!Of course Harry Potter will die,some day:lol:

I always find that a little odd, since "lived" is a word used to describe something in the past, even if it concerns someone who still lives today. I guess it's because "the boy who lived" sounds somewhat better than "the boy who lives" or "the boy who is alive". :lol:

Harry might survive LV's (but who will die instead of him, then?) wrath, unlikely as it might be. But he could just as well die, no matter how many reasons he has to stay alive, no matter how much he have already suffered. "The boy who lived" will surely be a legend, even more so if he vanquish Voldemort and dies in the process. And if he survived, would they EVER leave him alone?

Killing Voldemort and stay alive, they would practically view him as a half-god after that, considering how they reacted to him in PS. He would have to resort to hiding forever, Ginny doing the grocery store visits for him (and hexing fangirls in front of the house). His kids would be constantly targeted by everyone who wants a piece of the famous Potter. Yikes..

Venom3384 March 18th, 2007 12:31 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I always figured that by book 7 the narrative will have caught up with the timeline. That is to say that it ends in the present with nothing of the future known which isn't always the case in the other books. Additionally, I always figured JK would kill HP if only so nobody else bothers her for permission to write HP stories.

Hermione_Potter March 18th, 2007 2:14 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I hope that he doesn't. It will be devastating if he does.

hagrids_wench March 18th, 2007 3:23 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom3384 (Post 4397966)
I always figured that by book 7 the narrative will have caught up with the timeline. That is to say that it ends in the present with nothing of the future known which isn't always the case in the other books. Additionally, I always figured JK would kill HP if only so nobody else bothers her for permission to write HP stories.

I think any requests of that nature would come to her agents. They would already know the answer so I don't see JKR being bothered personally by them. Of course, Fan mail is Fan mail so you never know. Actually they usually have a secretaries for that too.
"Throw it in the trash Sophie no one is writing about Harry but me" :tu:

Quote:

Originally Posted by eviljim13 (Post 4397685)
Yes of course you are right:err:
I only meant within the context of book 7 I am saying only that "the boy who lived" will continue to do so at the end of "Deathly Hallows" but not forever!!!!Of course Harry Potter will die,some day:lol:

:lol: I thought that was probably what you meant. I don't think anyone thinks Harry will never die of old age. :lol:

Off topic a little....
There was mention made in a thread here that JKR had said that there were foreshadowings in PoA (?????) that really resonated with her because they were things that were going to happen (???) in the final book? I cannot find the thread and the poster had posted her interview comments. Does anyone know where it is...I have given up on this search engine..:grumble:
ALSO has anyone being re-watching the movie for this reason? I did last night and I thought I picked up on two or three things that really are fitting in with this thread and others concerning powers,friends,and death. I need to look through those sections of the book to see if the things said were in fact written there. If anyone else has done this I would like some input.
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
thanks
H. Wench

dumbledoreshous March 18th, 2007 3:32 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I think Harry will PROBABLY die in the Deathly Hallows as otherwise I think JK would continue writing the books if he stayed alive.
Plus It is his desting to take Voldemort and lots of Death Eaters down with him!

lsblack8 March 18th, 2007 5:26 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Harry very well might die, but I don't think JKR decided not to continue writing because he died. This book is then unfortunately the end, and I'm sure there's other reasons she's ending with seven other than the possible reason of Harry's death.

AL_Patterson March 18th, 2007 10:30 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
So many people will be in an uproar if this happens...

Venom3384 March 18th, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AL_Patterson (Post 4398612)
So many people will be in an uproar if this happens...

I feel like there will be plenty of reasons for people to be in an uproar no matter what happens. If he lives everyone will want to know what happens next.

LikeLuna March 19th, 2007 1:41 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lsblack8 (Post 4398171)
Harry very well might die, but I don't think JKR decided not to continue writing because he died. This book is then unfortunately the end, and I'm sure there's other reasons she's ending with seven other than the possible reason of Harry's death.

Yeah, she has to end it somewhere, otherwise the plots of the books will go downhill and the whole series would lose its meaning.

anabel March 19th, 2007 1:00 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeLuna (Post 4398949)
Yeah, she has to end it somewhere, otherwise the plots of the books will go downhill and the whole series would lose its meaning.

"And they all lived happily ever after" has been a satisfactory ending to loads of good stories. Why not to this one?

__JMar__ March 19th, 2007 2:59 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anabel (Post 4399635)
"And they all lived happily ever after" has been a satisfactory ending to loads of good stories. Why not to this one?

I would say that it almost seems too...unbelieveable I guess? I still say it's highly unlikely that everything will go back to being happy, if you could ever really call it happy in the first place.

Venom3384 March 19th, 2007 5:02 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by __JMar__ (Post 4399737)
I would say that it almost seems too...unbelieveable I guess? I still say it's highly unlikely that everything will go back to being happy, if you could ever really call it happy in the first place.

Yeah, I agree. To just say "Happily ever after" would kinda demean all the strugge the characters went through throughout the series.

Lord_Kaine March 19th, 2007 6:02 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom3384 (Post 4399858)
Yeah, I agree. To just say "Happily ever after" would kinda demean all the strugge the characters went through throughout the series.

Yeah, I agree. I think, that even if Harry and c:o should survive (which I would find unrealistic, but then again, it's a book about magic), there should be some kind of serious aftermath, where the remaining pieces will be gathered as best as they are able. If there are losses (which JKR said it was), then there will be grieving, and some people might never get out of it. (I know, I sound depressing)

__JMar__ March 19th, 2007 6:16 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Exactly. If it were a "happily ever after" ending, what would be the point of all the struggles? I know I would definitely be a disappointed if Jo ended it in an anticlimactic way. :agree:

Venom3384 March 19th, 2007 11:36 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Yeah, so as depressing as a "sad" ending might be, it's still more realistic considering the type of story this seems like it's going to be.

anabel March 19th, 2007 11:40 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by __JMar__ (Post 4399922)
Exactly. If it were a "happily ever after" ending, what would be the point of all the struggles? I know I would definitely be a disappointed if Jo ended it in an anticlimactic way.

But surely the whole point of ridding the world of the most evil wizard of all time, is to provide a happy ending?!? I don't see why success would diminish their achievements!!!

Venom3384 March 19th, 2007 11:49 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anabel (Post 4400417)
But surely the whole point of ridding the world of the most evil wizard of all time, is to provide a happy ending?!? I don't see why success would diminish their achievements!!!

I mean, achievement is always great, but there is always the question of what did we lose for this victory? Or at what cost? And that would be sad.
I mean yeah, everybody will probably be celebrating, but whoever survives of the trio will definitely be mourning. Probably for a while since whoever died almost certainly gave their life for them.

AL_Patterson March 20th, 2007 1:29 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
By the way some of you are talking, it sounds like you'd rather Jo end the book with the entire wizarding world imploding....

hagrids_wench March 20th, 2007 1:46 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anabel (Post 4399635)
"And they all lived happily ever after" has been a satisfactory ending to loads of good stories. Why not to this one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by anabel (Post 4400417)
But surely the whole point of ridding the world of the most evil wizard of all time, is to provide a happy ending?!? I don't see why success would diminish their achievements!!!

I have to agree with you anabel. And I also have to wonder if the world at large has become so cynical and pessimistic not to mention morbid that the only way anything can end is sadly. Oh yes, there will be victory but apparently to many the only way the victory is a good one is if Harry or one of the trio dies in bringing it about. Honestly if any of those characters die isn't that a small victory for Voldemort and his Death Eaters? I am not saying it couldn't happen it is after all JKRs book. She can do as she pleases...
It is as though some people want that type of ending and will not be happy if it ends any other way.

Whether anyone remembers it or not (sometimes I don't myself) these started out as books for young people. Or at least the young as opposed to a larger audience of adults.Maybe JKR has left the path that she began on and I know there have been one or two quotes (later in the series) that indicated that she wasn't writing exclusively for children. Well children were the first audience and that is fact. There weren't many adults running out to by their own copy at that time. Vicarious involvement through reading to their kids or being curious as to what the furor was about Harry Potter.:grumble:

I cannot believe that the author has anything to gain by ending his "life" with the last book and it would disappoint so many people...most of which are youngsters. What would be the point...because adults and older young adults are being philosopical about why Harry should die/live? Why would she hurt ardent young fans? As an author I do not think I would want that type of notoriety. It doesn't make sense.

So I agree with you anabel...what is wrong with victory and a happy ending for the trio?
It has been successful for centuries and if I want to read novels that have morbid endings there are plenty out there. I think it would be a disgusting end to what has been a completely enjoyable series of books.

Venom3384 March 20th, 2007 7:26 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AL_Patterson (Post 4400629)
By the way some of you are talking, it sounds like you'd rather Jo end the book with the entire wizarding world imploding....

Ok...a little extreme. But let's be realistic, what 5 members of the Order and 3 just grown wizards, maybe a couple of parents and their friends vs the most powerful dark wizard of all time and his Death Eaters...and nobody dies? I just wouldn't see that as realistic regardless of who I want to see alive at the end.

__JMar__ March 20th, 2007 1:35 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hagrids_wench (Post 4400663)
So I agree with you anabel...what is wrong with victory and a happy ending for the trio?
It has been successful for centuries and if I want to read novels that have morbid endings there are plenty out there. I think it would be a disgusting end to what has been a completely enjoyable series of books.

Don't get me wrong, I would really like the ending to be happy, but it just seems highly unlikely. Granted, the books were originally intended for children and young adults, but that doesn't mean that the ending has to be incredibly happy. I just don't see how after everything we've read, the ending can come out to read as a "happily ever after". :no: I'm not just saying in a literal way either, Harry might live, but that doesn't mean everyone will be happy. They'll definitely be scarred for life, and that alone will be enough to make the ending sad.

TimeMachine March 20th, 2007 8:01 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I tend to agree with those that say that an easy "happily ever after" would somehow demean all their struggle so far. One of the huge messages in the books has been the choice between what is right and what is easy, and the value of self sacrifice. I mean, if you think about it, the entire reason we have a story at all is because of the death of Harry's parents, and their sacrifice for him. This series starts with a noble death. I think it would entirely appropiate to end it that way. I mean, isn't that the point? To show to these "young ones" that there are things worth fighting, and even dying, for? Throughout the series we have given a picture of death as not something to be afraid of, but rather something to be ready for, and I think that can be a very beautiful and powerful message in a society that is so selfishly focused on self-preservation and self-gain at the expense of others.

Spritey March 20th, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hagrids_wench (Post 4400663)
I have to agree with you anabel. And I also have to wonder if the world at large has become so cynical and pessimistic not to mention morbid that the only way anything can end is sadly. Oh yes, there will be victory but apparently to many the only way the victory is a good one is if Harry or one of the trio dies in bringing it about. Honestly if any of those characters die isn't that a small victory for Voldemort and his Death Eaters? I am not saying it couldn't happen it is after all JKRs book. She can do as she pleases...
It is as though some people want that type of ending and will not be happy if it ends any other way.

It's not cynical, I don't think. It's what sets them apart from Voldemort - their willingness to risk it all for people they love. That's a positive message for me, especially combined with what Luna said in OotP (about the Veil and what lies beyond it and all.)

Plus, I don't like the idea that dying = failing. We all die, does that mean we failed? I don't think so.

Venom3384 March 20th, 2007 9:10 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeMachine (Post 4401732)
I tend to agree with those that say that an easy "happily ever after" would somehow demean all their struggle so far. One of the huge messages in the books has been the choice between what is right and what is easy, and the value of self sacrifice. I mean, if you think about it, the entire reason we have a story at all is because of the death of Harry's parents, and their sacrifice for him. This series starts with a noble death. I think it would entirely appropiate to end it that way. I mean, isn't that the point? To show to these "young ones" that there are things worth fighting, and even dying, for? Throughout the series we have given a picture of death as not something to be afraid of, but rather something to be ready for, and I think that can be a very beautiful and powerful message in a society that is so selfishly focused on self-preservation and self-gain at the expense of others.

Great point!

Mr_Watson March 20th, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritey (Post 4401735)
Plus, I don't like the idea that dying = failing. We all die, does that mean we failed? I don't think so.

I agree with that. And by the way, I think we actually fail if we don't do anything that matters in our life... If we just live and die, and do nothing of importance, we failed, we didn't accomplish anything, we didn't use wisely the life that was given to us... But if we die for a righteous cause, to help someone else, or to help the world in general, we accomplished something, we didn't just waste our life on nothing...

anabel March 20th, 2007 11:20 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I want to share a piece of wisdom from my then 7 year old child, when we first read the books together. I'd warned her that she might find them scary, but her reaction was very clear: "Mummy, you said Harry Potter was scary, but it's not - it's funny!" And it is! Despite their darkness, these books are full of humour, not tragedy! And they always end on a light note.

PS Harry's isn't allowed to do magic in the holidays, but the Dursleys don't know that, do they! :eyebrows:


CoS "Proud?" said Harry. "Are you mad? All those times I could have died and I didn't manage it? They'll be furious ..."
And together they walked back through the gateway to the Muggle world.


PoA"Godfather?" spluttered Uncle Vernon. "You haven't got a godfather!"
"Yes, I have," said Harry brightly. He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though ... keep up with my news ... check I'm happy ..."
And grinning broadly at the look of horror on Uncle Vernon's face, Harry set off towards the station exit, Hedwig ratting along in front of him, for what looked like a much better summer than the last.


GoFHarry gives Fred and George his prize money to open a joke shop.


OotPInstead, he smiled, raised a hand in farewell, turned around and led the way out of the station towards the sunlit street, with Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and Dudley hurrying along in his wake.


HBPhe felt his heart lift at the thought that there was still one last golden day of peace left to enjoy with Ron and Hermione.


As you see, every book ends on a positive note, often a very funny one, despite the bad things that have happened.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 9:38 am.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.