Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101059)

Crookshanks_RAB June 21st, 2007 5:24 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4577834)
But you just said she intended them to "come together and then part"- you didn't say nuffin' about them getting back together again :p

By the same token, one could have argued several books ago that Sirius should have lived- why else would JKR have reintroduced Harry's godfather back into his life?- and we all know how that turned out...

"Come together and then part"... They got together in the sixth book, she is going to pull a "Lily", die for Harry, and there you go, theres the "parting", or perhaps the parting is when Harry decides that he cant risk her dieing and leaves her behind on his search for the Horcruxes.

Sweetbrier June 21st, 2007 7:07 pm

Even anyone of every age reads Harry Potter, the fact remains; Harry Potter is considered a children's book. Every library or bookstore I've ever been to, Potter is always found in the children's sections. I've even found the adult versions in the children's sections!

Because the Potter series are still considered a children's book, Harry can't die. I'm very stubborn about this (because I DON'T want Harry to die), but think about it. Little kids read these books or listen to them on audio. What kind of book that was originally intended for children kills the main character and hero?

And plus, Harry is Jo's pen-and-paper son. She had the power to bring him into this world, but I think she loves him enough to not take him out.

Thuldorn June 21st, 2007 7:20 pm

After much thought I think Harry will die in Deathly Hallows, though not the way peopel are imagining.

I think that the epilogue will give some details about his life after Voldemort and finish up with something like:

And so Harry and Ginny Potter lived a long and happy life, and after retiring as the Greatest Headmaster Hogwarts had ever known, though Harry always said Dumbledore was the Greatest Headmaster Hogwarts ever had, Harry Potter passed away in his sleep at the ripe old age of 187 and so ends the story of the Boy with the scar.

Lillbet June 21st, 2007 8:34 pm

Just listening to Mugglecast- Micah thinks Harry won't die because a theme park is being built. Universal doesn't know if Harry will die yet or not, they're just thinking about marketing possibilities, so that theory doesn't wash with me :p

All the same, can you imagine going to Universal and seeing the list of activities at the park if he did die in DH?

Harry's final fight with Voldemort at 1:30pm 3:30pm and 5:30pm

Harry's funeral at 2:15pm 4:15pm and 6:15pm

:err:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crookshanks_RAB (Post 4581581)
"Come together and then part"... They got together in the sixth book, she is going to pull a "Lily", die for Harry, and there you go, theres the "parting", or perhaps the parting is when Harry decides that he cant risk her dieing and leaves her behind on his search for the Horcruxes.

They have parted in the 6th book already at the end of HBP- that's what JKR was referring to, I believe. They were a couple for a short time and then parted. I think ThePythia was suggesting that they will reunite after everything is over because Ginny is Harry's ideal (quoth JKR).

The notion of being reunited and then being parted by death on the battlefield has crossed my mind as well...

hermyweasly June 21st, 2007 9:13 pm

Quote:

And so Harry and Ginny Potter lived a long and happy life, and after retiring as the Greatest Headmaster Hogwarts had ever known, though Harry always said Dumbledore was the Greatest Headmaster Hogwarts ever had, Harry Potter passed away in his sleep at the ripe old age of 187 and so ends the story of the Boy with the scar.
Do u think that Jo will end it like this??? I actually don't think so although I hope so. :)
Quote:

They have parted in the 6th book already at the end of HBP- that's what JKR was referring to, I believe
That's right..
Quote:

Little kids read these books or listen to them on audio
but Jo had killed DD, Cedric and Sirius..I mean kids had used to killing in Jo's story and she confirmed that two characters will die. I know that this won't be like Harry's death but every one is expecting at least 1% that there is a possibility for Harry's death.

Sweetbrier June 21st, 2007 9:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4581933)
Just listening to Mugglecast- Micah thinks Harry won't die because a theme park is being built. Universal doesn't know if Harry will die yet or not, they're just thinking about marketing possibilities, so that theory doesn't wash with me :p

All the same, can you imagine going to Universal and seeing the list of activities at the park if he did die in DH?

LOL! Yeah, when Mugglenet posted the news about the WB not concerned about Harry's fate, it basically confirmed to me that he'll live.

Ceredwyn June 21st, 2007 9:35 pm

JKR has said a lot about Ginny playing quite a dominating role in the next book and I consider her to be a main character so it has crossed my mind that she and Harry may be parted although it can be argued that it has happened already.

I would be seriously shocked and GUTTED if Harry died but it would make an extremely powerful ending. But then again, JK has also hinted on Dumbledore returning, not to life, but in another way. If this is possible then why couldn't Harry? Look at the talking and moving portraits, couldnt this be a way of linking life and death?

I think that either way it wouldnt be over but JK has also said that although she has planned only 7 books, never say never. This suggests that there may be a future for Harry, but who can really say?

Taylor_Elise June 21st, 2007 9:41 pm

Quote:

Bahahaha... :lol:

Sign me up for the funeral, that's entertainment right there! *kidding*

I think the fact that Harry Potter is a children's book plays a small, small role in whether or not Harry dies. I mean, think about it: Jo created the novels from her own imagination, from her own ideas, in her own mind.

I know I've said it millions of times, but let's put it this way. If I wrote a story I felt passionate about...whether I catered it to adults or children...I'd end it the way I wanted to. Jo didn't know she would become one of, if not THE, most popular authors of our time. She just created the idea and went with it. If, in her original design, Harry died, then that's what will happen, regardless of who reads the books.
Now, there's always the possibility our beloved Harry is the one who got the reprieve....but something tells me Jo wouldn't just up and change the entire plot just for kicks. :p

As objective as I can get, I still say it's up in the air. Part of me really believes Harry will die, yet the other part yearns for him not to...we can only be sure in 29 days!

(and p.s. I agree with Lillbet--I really don't think it matters to Universal whether or not Harry dies. To me--and I don't know all the details, so grain of salt here--I feel like the theme park is something crafted separately from JK and her world. It just feels like a way to milk Harry Potter for all it's worth. Now granted, it's still probably going to be pretty amazing and undoubtedly cool to experience, but a separate venue, all the same.)

Sweetbrier June 21st, 2007 9:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceredwyn (Post 4582128)
I think that either way it wouldnt be over but JK has also said that although she has planned only 7 books, never say never. This suggests that there may be a future for Harry, but who can really say?

I like your optimism, but Jo has said over and over in various interviews that there are only 7 books.

It would be like too much of good thing if there were more than 7.

monamourr June 21st, 2007 10:26 pm

I agree with the theory of the series being a children's book being a factor not in Harry's favor.
Not because of the deaths - obviously, the books have spanned the lives of two of my favorite characters :( but because of the impression it would create for Harry, thus far the loveable [although that may be debateable], heroic, yet innocent and still child-like to a certain extent protagonist, to actualy murder someone, enemy or not.
And, going by the prophecy, this would mean Harry would have to die.

johnthesavage June 21st, 2007 10:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetbrier (Post 4581753)
Even anyone of every age reads Harry Potter, the fact remains; Harry Potter is considered a children's book. Every library or bookstore I've ever been to, Potter is always found in the children's sections. I've even found the adult versions in the children's sections!

Because the Potter series are still considered a children's book, Harry can't die. I'm very stubborn about this (because I DON'T want Harry to die), but think about it. Little kids read these books or listen to them on audio. What kind of book that was originally intended for children kills the main character and hero?

And plus, Harry is Jo's pen-and-paper son. She had the power to bring him into this world, but I think she loves him enough to not take him out.

While I agree with you in that I do not want Harry to die, your reasoning is off. Just because a book is written for children does not necessitate there being a "happily ever after" (I would like to see one though).
They are books for a wide audience and Jo hasnt hesitatied killing off main characters before, even I am sure characters that she likes.

That being said, I sure would love to see him make it through!

her3me24 June 21st, 2007 11:10 pm

Who do you think she means by two main characters...Hagrid, McGonagall, Any of the Weasleys, Tonks, Lupin, of course Harry, and Hermione. There is also Neville and Luna. Some of these may not be in the forefront, but most have had a prime role since the beginning...that is just the good side, you still have (and the jury is still out on good vs evil) Snape, Draco and Lucios, Wormtail, of course Voldemort....So if a couple of main characters get a reprieve, that would mean that more than two were going to die to begin with....So if two got a reprieve, I would think that atleast three others will die...I think the Twins got a reprieve....other than that.....Voldemort dies, Harry lives....I just cannot figure out if it is Ron or Hermione. I think Ron will die for sure, the Weasleys will have a loss to thier large family....maybe Percy?

Moriath June 21st, 2007 11:17 pm

You may want to discuss this in Book Seven: Who Will Live and Who Will Die? v4 :) This thread is for Harry only.

her3me24 June 21st, 2007 11:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetbrier (Post 4582159)
I like your optimism, but Jo has said over and over in various interviews that there are only 7 books.

It would be like too much of good thing if there were more than 7.

I think Rowling is trying to end the series so that no others can followup with non-original author sequals. The Star Wars Saga is popular world wide, but aside from the 6 movies, there are about 15 additional books written by people other than George Lucas that carried on the story. I think that she is going to try, but people will still make their own stories to follow on. All of her characters are far too interesting to not what to know more and more and more.....that being said, I think she plans to wrap up the ending in such a way that the story cannont continue. Does that mean Harry will die? I dont think he will. It is a classic good vs evil. She said "A price must be paid"....people will die and I think it will be many of the prime good and evil characters, but I do not think it will be Harry. To many Characters owe him a life debt...Three of the Weasleys, Dobby, and Wormtail.......I think there are sacrifices to be made from these 5 people...

expelliarmus_01 June 21st, 2007 11:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thuldorn (Post 4581785)
After much thought I think Harry will die in Deathly Hallows, though not the way peopel are imagining.

I think that the epilogue will give some details about his life after Voldemort and finish up with something like:

If Harry dies, I hope it is something like that. I have been convinced that Harry will live and still strongly believe that he will live beyond Voldemort anyway. I am however a little worried.

A friend of mine recently reminded me that with every main character death, that character was on the US cover art for that book, and they are correct. GOF - Cedric is on the cover are, OOTP - Sirius is on the back side of the cover art, HPB - Dumbledore is on the cover art of both the standard US edition and Deluxe edition. On DH US standard edition both Voldemort and Harry are on the cover (hopefully Voldemort is the death here), but on the Deluxe edition Harry is on the cover with Ron & Hermy. I still think the cover art death will be Voldemort, I mean Harry is on the cover of every book.

Sweetbrier June 22nd, 2007 12:35 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by expelliarmus_01 (Post 4582378)

A friend of mine recently reminded me that with every main character death, that character was on the US cover art for that book, and they are correct. GOF - Cedric is on the cover are, OOTP - Sirius is on the back side of the cover art, HPB - Dumbledore is on the cover art of both the standard US edition and Deluxe edition. On DH US standard edition both Voldemort and Harry are on the cover (hopefully Voldemort is the death here), but on the Deluxe edition Harry is on the cover with Ron & Hermy. I still think the cover art death will be Voldemort, I mean Harry is on the cover of every book.

I've never noticed that before! That's interesting... maybe just a coincidence?

And for my whole 'Jo won't kill Harry b/c it is a "children's" series, I'm just putting out one theory. There are a million other things I consider when I think of what Harry's fate will be.

Maybe I'm just trying to hold on to this little notion because I want Harry to live. But the death of a literary phenomenon like Harry Potter could be a little devastating to some people (including me). But, like I said before, Harry is Jo's pen-and-paper son, and I don't think she would kill him off. Even though Cedric, Sirius, and Dumbledore have met those fates, I just don't think Harry will.

If Harry does live, and I think someone said something about this earlier, it not going to be 'happily ever-after'. There's a war going on, and a lot of people are either going to die or suffer from it. I don't think anyone could live happily ever-after when they've just witnessed three deaths straight in a row. (If Sirius is really dead, of course, which is another theory for another thread.)

Taylor_Elise June 22nd, 2007 5:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by her3me24 (Post 4582360)
I think Rowling is trying to end the series so that no others can followup with non-original author sequals. The Star Wars Saga is popular world wide, but aside from the 6 movies, there are about 15 additional books written by people other than George Lucas that carried on the story. I think that she is going to try, but people will still make their own stories to follow on. All of her characters are far too interesting to not what to know more and more and more.....that being said, I think she plans to wrap up the ending in such a way that the story cannont continue. Does that mean Harry will die? I dont think he will. It is a classic good vs evil. She said "A price must be paid"....people will die and I think it will be many of the prime good and evil characters, but I do not think it will be Harry. To many Characters owe him a life debt...Three of the Weasleys, Dobby, and Wormtail.......I think there are sacrifices to be made from these 5 people...

I believe there are upwards of 40 Star Wars books, if my nerd friends do not decieve me. :p

I see your point about not wanting others to copy her work...but honestly? I don't think Jo, or any author for that matter, that writes and invests themselves in a story such as Harry Potter would seriously change their ending simply for copyright purposes. It just doesn't feel right to me.

And, I mean, think about all the internet "piracy" scandals that go on. People claiming to have copies posted on their websites and all that...Bloomsbury or whoever it is that answers that stuff (Jo's reps or whatever) they all make statements like "Well, unless you hear it from us..." blah blah blah.

If I were in JK's position...I think I'd be confident enough in my own story-crafting abilities to feel secure enough that even if someone tried to copy my stories...my style is too unique for them to succeed. Hopefully I'm right and Jo keeps the ending the way she originally planned, because I'd hate to read something manufactured and rash just so that Jo and her copyrighters can sleep at night. :lol:

And I think someone said it on here before...there's ways around people dying anyway. When you live in a world of magic, there's always someone that can come up with "And even though Harry died, Hermione brewed the Essence of Immortality Potion the next day and all was well" story. :D

inkling7 June 22nd, 2007 1:25 pm

her3me24 who do you think Ron is a next door neighbour? He is also a 'Weasley'....
That aside IF Harry lives then let's hope that Ginny does too.

It really is a win-win situation with Harry though. If he lives and Ginny et al do he has a chance at happiness. If he dies then he will be with his parents, Sirius, Albus (and Hagrid - if he dies - and I think he is for the chop) - all of whom he loves.........however all these other loved ones could wait until Harry dies of old age before they see him - and I'm sure they would rather wait and see him living a fairly normal life with the woman he loves before he embarked on his next great adventure.

ThePythia June 22nd, 2007 4:23 pm

Quote:

:err:

:rotfl:

Oh, and I want in on that chocolate! :drool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor_Elise (Post 4581937)
I think the fact that Harry Potter is a children's book plays a small, small role in whether or not Harry dies.

I agree. Harry Potter being a children's series won't stop JKR from killing off the main character. What I don't buy is this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkling7 (Post 4581947)
If he dies then he will be with his parents, Sirius, Albus (and Hagrid - if he dies - and I think he is for the chop) - all of whom he loves.........

If this happens, it sends out a very wrong message to the kids about death, doesn't it?

Taylor_Elise June 22nd, 2007 4:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePythia (Post 4583540)
If this happens, it sends out a very wrong message to the kids about death, doesn't it?

But didn't you just say it doesn't matter that it's a kid's book?

:p

ThePythia June 22nd, 2007 4:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor_Elise (Post 4583547)
But didn't you just say it doesn't matter that it's a kid's book?

:p

Yeah, well killing off the main character is one thing. But making it seem that death is a wonderful thing and you get to meet your loved ones after dying is...well I'm not so comfortable with that.

I mean, if this happens, I won't be surprised if JKR is blamed for increase in suicides.:err:

Sweetbrier June 22nd, 2007 5:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePythia (Post 4583573)
Yeah, well killing off the main character is one thing. But making it seem that death is a wonderful thing and you get to meet your loved ones after dying is...well I'm not so comfortable with that.

I mean, if this happens, I won't be surprised if JKR is blamed for increase in suicides.:err:

Oh, Jo will always be blamed for something.

Taylor_Elise June 22nd, 2007 6:16 pm

Quote:

Sad, but true, Sweetbrier ^^ makes a point too. No matter what happens, I'm sure someone will pin something on Jo. My point is, I don't really think that it matters.

The ending will happen as per Jo's desires. I can only hope Harry survives this so he can enjoy Voldemort's defeat with us, but I don't know.

Spritey June 22nd, 2007 7:13 pm

Quote:

Well, I guess I'm not really comfortable with the whole, "death is a failure that renders your existence and all relationships within it meaningless" vibe, either (not that you were saying that, of course, but it's something this thread has made me wonder about at times...) I don't think it's a good idea to make death this horrible thing, since really; it happens to everyone, right? Kids know that - I think I knew that by the time I was seven (and that's probably quite late, actually). I don't understand why it shouldn't be explored in children's fiction in that case, especially with a brave, well-balanced, realistic character like Harry.

Edit: Sorry, that was a bit of a straw man, wasn't it? *facepalm* I just get quite bewildered by the attitude that death has to be this big angry face of doominess otherwise it's sending a bad message.

nano June 22nd, 2007 7:29 pm

As far as the "childrens books heroes dont die" goes ...

Has any of you ever read The Narnia Chronicles? There all the heroes die (apart from Susan) - Now somemight say, that they are not entirely childrens books, but Jo also knows, that her readers who were children when HP 1 came out have now reached an age, where they could cope with Harry dying.

They have watched him come into puberty, the books have got more and more gruelsome and violent, and I also go with the fact, tjhat Harrys death is the only way she can really stay true to herself and not write an 8th book in a few years time.

And I still beleive the Centaurs saw it all coming in Book 1 - that Harry will die in the final battle in the magical forrest.

nano

oneinhufflepuff June 22nd, 2007 8:04 pm

For:
1. Jo doesn't want to write any sequels.
2. Harry could be a horcrux and that may mean he has to die. (But not necessarily)
3. It's hard to imagine Harry all grown up, he's a boy hero.
4. Trelawney's and others ominous predictions. (Hermione in the PoA movie: "You're both dying...") etc.
5. The US editor said he sobbed and sobbed and the book is very emotional.
6. Mary GrandPre also said the book was hard to read because it was sad.
7. Harry might be happier to see his parents and Dumbledore again, and this could be when we see Sirius again.

Against:
1. Harry is the "Boy Who Lived"
2. Someone claimed that before she got famous a little girl asked JKR in a bookstore if the trio would live and she said yes. (She could have changed her mind, though)
3. The books are for children, Harry dying is very dark.
4. There is a Harry Potter themepark.
5. The prophecy may mean "one lives and the other dies" (but the prophecy isn't the truth, Voldy just thinks it is)
6. Popular opinion and hope is that he lives (but JKR may not be one to listen to this, she could write it so well we don't care)
7. Harry could sort-of die and still live, IE he could go through the veil and see Sirius but also come back somehow.

Personally I think he will live but at some great cost. Living a life without some very close friends (Hagrid possibly), maybe losing his powers, or some other sad thing. I also really like the idea that he goes through the veil and gets to see Sirius but he returns and lives.

Sweetbrier June 22nd, 2007 9:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nano (Post 4583883)
As far as the "childrens books heroes dont die" goes ...

Has any of you ever read The Narnia Chronicles? There all the heroes die (apart from Susan) - Now somemight say, that they are not entirely childrens books, but Jo also knows, that her readers who were children when HP 1 came out have now reached an age, where they could cope with Harry dying.

nano

Good lord, the narnia kids died? I didn't know that! I only saw one of the movies...

Yea, and I agree with you, I was around 11 when I read the first book, and I've grown up with the books now. But as for being able to cope with Harry dying, I'd go balistic... but that's just me. :yuhup:

nano June 22nd, 2007 10:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetbrier (Post 4584160)
Good lord, the narnia kids died? I didn't know that! I only saw one of the movies...

Yea, and I agree with you, I was around 11 when I read the first book, and I've grown up with the books now. But as for being able to cope with Harry dying, I'd go balistic... but that's just me. :yuhup:

Sorry if I spoilt the Narnia Chronicles for anyone ... but yes - there are seven books in the chronicle (7 again) and in three Lucy & Edmund take part (Susan doesnt in the last part but Peter does) And Lucy, Edmund, Peter and also their parents (if I remeber that correctly) die in a train collision at the very end ...

The narnia chronicles do have a kind of religious background though, although they can be read without interpretation of this. But fact is they were written in a "childish" way - definitely for children - and still the children die, who the young readers by that time have become very fond of.

But even if I would prefer Harry to live - I cant see him as an adult - and why should he have to grow up - if he dies in book 7 he will already at his young age have had a fulfilled life - full of adventure, love, fun & frindship and full of the hardship that comes with it also. But I do beleive although it would be sad if he dies, that Jo will write it in a way, that we will be happy for Harrys sake, i.e at last he will be with his parents and Sirius or something like that.

nano

swishandflick11 June 22nd, 2007 10:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneinhufflepuff (Post 4583950)
For:
2. Harry could be a horcrux and that may mean he has to die. (But not necessarily)
Against:
1. Harry is the "Boy Who Lived"

I'm sure this has all been said before, but I'm at the end of the discussion so I'll just explain what I think.
Basically, I think this quote pretty much sums the ending up.

Harry was the boy that lived. For some reason, Voldemort couldn't kill him, maybe because as he was doing so, he put a part of his soul into Harry. I think Harry is the final horcrux.

But Jo wouldn't kill off Harry. He's the boy that lived. Millions of people would be devastated to see Harry die. Even though she has been.. you could say.. ruthless while killing off those that Harry loves (I've heard she had to kill off two more characters she wasn't intending on), I still believe that she won't kill Harry, Ron, or Hermione. Anybody else that Harry loves has a good chance for being killed, but somehow I don't think she would kill off Harry, Ron or Hermione. They are the heroes of the books.

So I guess I'm "sitting on the fence", but I believe that Harry is the final horcrux, however I think he will kill himself but not die (that doesn't make much sense, hopefully you understand what I'm getting at). I think there will be a way that he will have to get rid of the horcrux in him, maybe his scar is a horcrux, but I don't think he will die.

oneinhufflepuff June 23rd, 2007 12:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by swishandflick11 (Post 4584280)

So I guess I'm "sitting on the fence", but I believe that Harry is the final horcrux, however I think he will kill himself but not die (that doesn't make much sense, hopefully you understand what I'm getting at). I think there will be a way that he will have to get rid of the horcrux in him, maybe his scar is a horcrux, but I don't think he will die.

You know that's basically exactly what I think. Many people seem to think that the "Harry lives" option means a happy ending. I'm 99% positive that Deathly Hallows will have a horribly bittersweet and downright terribly sad ending. If it's not from Harry dying, it must be from him de-horcruxing himself in some painful way, or losing his powers, or something just incredibly sad.

I'd say the closest comparison that I'm imagining is the end of Lord of the Rings. In case anyone hasn't seen/read the end of LotR:
Spoiler: show
Yeah, Frodo lives, but does he really live? He's depressed and leaves all his friends to go over the sea never to be heard from again. That's the kind of ending I have in mind for Harry, the "Frodo ending"...lol!

And I do think he's a horcrux, but that's of course a totally different thread. Anyway I'm preparing myself to cry buckets!! :upset:

YamisChan June 23rd, 2007 12:25 am

i think harry will die. the whole 'The Boy Who Lived' thing kind of confirms it for me. the boy who lived. 'not the boy who lives'. as in he did live once, but she's not imortal, he's goingg to die at some point and it will probably be in the final battle as it would be a sad, but ultimitly happy ending as harry would have sacrificed himself to save everyone else.

faerie_wings June 23rd, 2007 1:04 am

i don't think harry will die. if he does, it is just defeating the purpose of "good always triumphs over evil". by harry dieing, voldemort will gain unimaginable power (more than he already has) and will, once again, wreak havoc and destruction upon the wizarding world. i don't think Jo would subject the wizarding world to this, but you never know. if harry dies, at least it will have been in the fight against voldemort, that at least is a truly heroic death. and if he does die, he will be reunited with his mom and dad, sirius, and dumbledore...

tricia_16_ June 23rd, 2007 1:06 am

I don't think he will. Like above, good will triumph evil. I think someone will die and that it will be a FIERCE battle, but no, I'm fairly certain that Harry will not die.

nano June 23rd, 2007 10:27 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by faerie_wings (Post 4584516)
i don't think harry will die. if he does, it is just defeating the purpose of "good always triumphs over evil". by harry dieing, voldemort will gain unimaginable power (more than he already has) and will, once again, wreak havoc and destruction upon the wizarding world. i don't think Jo would subject the wizarding world to this, but you never know. if harry dies, at least it will have been in the fight against voldemort, that at least is a truly heroic death. and if he does die, he will be reunited with his mom and dad, sirius, and dumbledore...

If Harry should die - I reckon it would be a heroic death that has to be to finish off Voldy - such as sacrificing himself (along with the final horcrux - my belief: his scar). So in that case the wizarding world WOULD be able to finish off Voldy, because he would then again be mortal. Perhaps Ron gets to do that bit?

Or even the veil will play a role - perhaps Harry doesnt have to die, but has to poke his head through the veil to get rid of the scar - (What does happen if you only put your head through?) Voldy tries to stop him and gets pushed behind the veil, which should be deadly for him after the last Horcrux has been finished off. Perhaps Harrys sees Sirius, DD and his parents there and even decides to step beyond the veil himself ...

But then again in ps/ss it looks as if the centaurs have foreseen the final battle in the magical forrest - whatever the outcome, Harry dying or not, I reckon Jo will write a real good showdown and lead Harry into happiness - wether in death rejoined with his parents or alive triumphing over Voldy. It will be a great ending anyway, and I just cant wait.

nano

operakatz June 23rd, 2007 11:55 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0505 (Post 4581243)
I haven't read all the posts but I think Harry will die. The prophecy just seems to say that.

So, Harry must kill Voldemort, or Voldemort must kill Harry. Simple.

If Harry kills Voldemort then Harry must die because he's killed Voldemort. But then if Voldemort kills Harry, he must die because he killed Harry. Make sense?

Of course there'll probably be some in depth reason why Harry will die, more important than the prophecy reason I just gave.

Also if you look at OotP. Harry says something about the line For neither can live while the other survives. I think Jo drew importance to this line because it suggests that Harry could die. Also again in HBP, he refers to the same line of the prophecy.
Of course it could just be a red herring. Oh well.

Happy fourth birthday Order of the Phoenix!!

Well, we're dealing with grammar here...

For neither can live while the other survives...

That doesn't read that both must die. Not at all. It clearly states that both cannot live. One must die at the hand of the other. Harry cannot survive if Voldy survives, and vice versa. Harry can only survive if he kills Voldy OR Voldy can only survive if he kills Harry.

Anyhoo...

I'm in the Harry Survives camp...

I think it will be Harry's ability to accept death and look death in the face that will be the key. Voldemort's greatest fear seems to be death. He's spent his lifetime and magical study trying to circumvent death. Voldemort isn't afraid to kill (obviously) but he is terrified of dying.

DD also mentioned to Harry that the prophecies weren't set in stone. Harry can choose to dismiss it. Voldemort has invested a lot of time and energy in his belief in the prophecy. There's probably something here that Harry could take advantage of to destroy Voldy.

I still think Harry manages to come through it. And it's not due to any sort of "this is a children's series" thing either. The publishers put the series into the children's section, not the author, so I don't for a moment believe that JK would put any thought into worrying about what her publishers' audience will think about her choice of ending the series. She's writing the story she wants to tell.

Regardless, live or die, it's always hard (at least for me) to say goodbye to beloved characters and their story. I remember the withdrawal pains I went through when I was a teen during my Dragonriders phase...the knowledge that I'd never get anything more about F'lar and Lessa was just so awful...and I'm sure it's much worse for the author (even when it's a bit of a relief to not feel obligated to write more)...whether or not Harry lives in DH, it will be like a death for JK because she won't be breathing more life into the characters after this.

Sweetbrier June 23rd, 2007 5:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by faerie_wings (Post 4584516)

If Harry died, and Voldemort lived, does that mean that now Voldemort can never die?

I don't think Harry would die without bringing Voldemort down with him.

Taylor_Elise June 24th, 2007 3:28 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneinhufflepuff (Post 4584428)
I'd say the closest comparison that I'm imagining is the end of Lord of the Rings. In case anyone hasn't seen/read the end of LotR:
Spoiler: show
Yeah, Frodo lives, but does he really live? He's depressed and leaves all his friends to go over the sea never to be heard from again. That's the kind of ending I have in mind for Harry, the "Frodo ending"...lol!

And I do think he's a horcrux, but that's of course a totally different thread. Anyway I'm preparing myself to cry buckets!! :upset:

I agree completely!!! I have been wracking my brain to come up with a metaphor for how I truly think the series will end, and for the life of me couldn't think of anything fitting enough. LoTR, definitely caps that one.

Wow, I'm still dumbfounded I didn't think of that before...but yes, that makes the most sense to me. In fact, I tried to make that point earlier either in this thread or another one, but I couldn't find the words. I used the example of Harry's profession--possibly an Auror?--seeming too...plain and normal to me. I feel that if Harry's going to defeat Voldemort (and he WILL...), it's going to be the ultimate, indescribable point in his life that he'll always look back on.

It's like the sports player analogy. Your dad played football in college, was about to get drafted after this big game where he made 2039439 touchdowns...and in the last few seconds, he gets irreparably injured. Can't play anymore. So, for the rest of his life, he sits at a desk job day dreaming about the high point in his career and how everything has just gone downhill since then.

Not an exact duplicate, but close enough.
The "Frodo Ending" is better--if Harry lives (and I want to say he doesn't), it's going to be bittersweet and sorrowful like the example you gave.

Spritey June 24th, 2007 5:43 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor_Elise (Post 4586175)
I agree completely!!! I have been wracking my brain to come up with a metaphor for how I truly think the series will end, and for the life of me couldn't think of anything fitting enough. LoTR, definitely caps that one.

Wow, I'm still dumbfounded I didn't think of that before...but yes, that makes the most sense to me. In fact, I tried to make that point earlier either in this thread or another one, but I couldn't find the words. I used the example of Harry's profession--possibly an Auror?--seeming too...plain and normal to me. I feel that if Harry's going to defeat Voldemort (and he WILL...), it's going to be the ultimate, indescribable point in his life that he'll always look back on.

It's like the sports player analogy. Your dad played football in college, was about to get drafted after this big game where he made 2039439 touchdowns...and in the last few seconds, he gets irreparably injured. Can't play anymore. So, for the rest of his life, he sits at a desk job day dreaming about the high point in his career and how everything has just gone downhill since then.

Not an exact duplicate, but close enough.
The "Frodo Ending" is better--if Harry lives (and I want to say he doesn't), it's going to be bittersweet and sorrowful like the example you gave.

I would find the LotR ending really depressing, to be honest. I'd much rather Harry died, if it's a choice between that and him living as an irrevocably emotionally scarred war hero. Of course, I'm not saying book seven is going to be easy on him by any stretch, but if Voldemort's gone I'd really like for Harry to be able to have some sense of moving on - you know, positively. He'll have done what he set out to do, and whilst he'll have lost people in the process, I'd like him to have a chance to live a somewhere near happy existence after that.

(See, I'm fluffy at heart, guys! ^_^)

ginnyluv June 24th, 2007 6:06 am

i still say no, but it would be shocking and if it works for the story i don't see how it will but ifit does i guess it works but .......i think snape will bit it no harry..

Finn_Solomon June 24th, 2007 8:46 am

I believe Harry will die. JK likes her Greek tragedies, and Harry really fits into the mould of a tragic hero, noble but with an unescapable duty to perform and an inevitable demise at the end of it all.

Certain things like JK considering killing off Harry so no one else could write their own adaptations, and the introduction of the epilogue scene swung it for me. The epilogue seems perfect for a gathering of Harry's closest friends and allies to recount how he saved the wizarding world.

One last thing, JK's a Christian and while her work does not reference religion directly, it does contain very strong Christian themes and messages. I think Harry will follow the path of another great saviour and sacrifice himself to save the people he loves.

ally62442 June 24th, 2007 3:31 pm

I really don't want him to die. However i have just finnished reading Half Blood Prince again and the more times i read it the more i think J.K.R is going to have to kill him in the end. I dunno why i just get the feeling that, thats where it is heading :-(

Lillbet June 24th, 2007 3:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finn_Solomon (Post 4586487)
Certain things like JK considering killing off Harry so no one else could write their own adaptations, and the introduction of the epilogue scene swung it for me. The epilogue seems perfect for a gathering of Harry's closest friends and allies to recount how he saved the wizarding world.

I am in the "Harry might die camp" as well, but do be careful there. JKR has said she understands why authors kill off their protagonists, but has not said that that's why she would do it. It's a beautiful day outside and I need to get some sun, but if you'd like me to dig up the quote I can do that for you and will. :)

Love the sig, by the way. Terry Pratchett is one of the authors I read between HP books :D

Hallowed June 24th, 2007 11:58 pm

I don't think he will die. It just doesn't seem like the message JK wants to give: 'Hey guys, you lose everything because of some evil guy, he destroys your life, kills those you love and in the end you get to destroy him, but it kills you to do it!'.

Hence I think he'll live, as will Ron, Hermione and Ginny as he needs something to live for, but thats another thread. :p

hpgirl21053 June 25th, 2007 2:59 am

I think harry will die.....it sort of is the sure way to not let anyone else write other hp books...or ones like it.....

but i don't want him too, his parents protected him so he would live, so him dying would just be wrong.......but in the pit of my stomach, i think he will...\

*weeps*

hermyweasly June 25th, 2007 11:43 am

Quote:

I'd say the closest comparison that I'm imagining is the end of Lord of the Rings
I thought in that too..Could Rowling do a similar ending as LOTR??? I won't be surprised then.

Finn_Solomon June 25th, 2007 2:03 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4586753)
I am in the "Harry might die camp" as well, but do be careful there. JKR has said she understands why authors kill off their protagonists, but has not said that that's why she would do it. It's a beautiful day outside and I need to get some sun, but if you'd like me to dig up the quote I can do that for you and will. :)

Love the sig, by the way. Terry Pratchett is one of the authors I read between HP books :D

Aye, the man's a genius. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

KOTMods June 25th, 2007 4:30 pm

I'm honestly in two minds. I would love to think that he won't die, and I think there is a great chance, because if he does, it's defeating the whole object of the books. But also, I think that he and Voldemort could both die.
But, as one of the main characters is bound to die, I don't think it will be Harry, and I fear it may be one of the Trio. Fingers crossed it's not, eh?

nano June 25th, 2007 4:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpgirl21053 (Post 4587793)
I think harry will die.....it sort of is the sure way to not let anyone else write other hp books...or ones like it.....

but i don't want him too, his parents protected him so he would live, so him dying would just be wrong.......but in the pit of my stomach, i think he will...\

*weeps*

But this is Jo's world right? So what is there to say, there isnt a life after death in the wizarding world, where he will rejoin all his long gone loved ones. I think that would make for an even happier ending, than if he survives, whilst loosing yet even more close friends (didnt Jo say she HAD to kill off two people she hadnt planned to?)

It would make me a lot happier to see Harry sacrifice himself and see his parents than for him to survive and live a plain life for the rest of it ...

but then again who knows, perhaps we are all thinking along the wrong lines and Jo has a chapter after the final battle explaining briefly what Harry gotr up to with his life ... and then dying in the end (a bit like a frodo ending) so he would die , but not during the battle ... who knows either way, I just cant wait to get my hands on that book

nano

KOTMods June 25th, 2007 4:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nano (Post 4588541)

but then again who knows, perhaps we are all thinking along the wrong lines and Jo has a chapter after the final battle explaining briefly what Harry gotr up to with his life ...

Well, we all know what Jo's like. She's managed to write these spectacular books with things that none of us would ever have expected, I'm sure there's going to be loads more to come and then in the end we'll all be like "OH YEAH!"

Scothoser June 25th, 2007 5:01 pm

I'm afraid that I'm with the "Harry will live" crowd, in the sense that Harry will survive the last battle and continue on. Partly because I really want him to be happy (don't we all?), and that I want those around him to be happy (and not dead).

That being said, there is also a practical reason for keeping Harry alive in the end. These are, after all, only children's books, and killing off Harry would be incredibly traumatic. You can do something like that in more adult fiction, because adults can understand the concept of death and loss better. While you may kill off lesser characters, the main characters have survived in all children's novels that I can think of, save the Narnia series.

Why did the main characters die in the Narnia series? Because they were welcomed into a new version of the world, which was the after life. C.S. Lewis represented this well within his book, wrote it so that you knew they were not really dead, but lived on into a better world.

If you are going to compare endings with J.R.R. Tolkien, you should compare with The Hobbit. That's his children's book, and all was well that ended well. The hero completed his task, grew from the experiences, and came back changed, but not so dark and brooding. The Lord of the Rings was a more adult book, written with more adult concepts. War was more accurate (a reflection of the World Wars), and the emotional scarring that comes to soldiers that survive those wars was equally accurate.

So, why do I think that Harry will win out in the end and survive? The after life hasn't been clearly defined, though it has been discussed. Unless she spends a lot of time in this last book outlining the effects of the afterlife, or finds a way to make it less scary for children, I don't think she will kill him off. The effect would be too traumatic.

Also, on another practical note, she would probably ruin the future movies for children, and their parents. Not that I think she is ultimately driven by money, but you can bet the publishers, and WB would be concerned. ^_^

Lillbet June 25th, 2007 5:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scothoser (Post 4588603)
I'm afraid that I'm with the "Harry will live" crowd, in the sense that Harry will survive the last battle and continue on. Partly because I really want him to be happy (don't we all?), and that I want those around him to be happy (and not dead).

That being said, there is also a practical reason for keeping Harry alive in the end. These are, after all, only children's books, and killing off Harry would be incredibly traumatic. You can do something like that in more adult fiction, because adults can understand the concept of death and loss better. While you may kill off lesser characters, the main characters have survived in all children's novels that I can think of, save the Narnia series.

Why did the main characters die in the Narnia series? Because they were welcomed into a new version of the world, which was the after life. C.S. Lewis represented this well within his book, wrote it so that you knew they were not really dead, but lived on into a better world.

If you are going to compare endings with J.R.R. Tolkien, you should compare with The Hobbit. That's his children's book, and all was well that ended well. The hero completed his task, grew from the experiences, and came back changed, but not so dark and brooding. The Lord of the Rings was a more adult book, written with more adult concepts. War was more accurate (a reflection of the World Wars), and the emotional scarring that comes to soldiers that survive those wars was equally accurate.

So, why do I think that Harry will win out in the end and survive? The after life hasn't been clearly defined, though it has been discussed. Unless she spends a lot of time in this last book outlining the effects of the afterlife, or finds a way to make it less scary for children, I don't think she will kill him off. The effect would be too traumatic.

I don't know. She's killed off a few characters that were loved and I have no doubt she'd do it again. Besides which, these are no longer children's books. JKR's readers have grown up with the books and she'd be foolish not to take that into acount if that is the direction the story should go (meaning that I doubt she'd shy away from killing Harry if that's what the story demanded). JKR does not strike me as particularly foolish :)

Quote:

Also, on another practical note, she would probably ruin the future movies for children, and their parents. Not that I think she is ultimately driven by money, but you can bet the publishers, and WB would be concerned. ^_^

JKR wrote the ending back when she first started. She knew where she wanted this to go and she has been writing the books for herself, not for Bloomsbury (?), not for Warner Brothers, not for mums or dads of kiddies who read, etc. Which, as far as I'm concerned, makes her a true writer.

I'm sure she's grateful for the fame and fortune, but I seriously doubt that any of that influenced her decisions about the fate of Harry & Co. Remember, she had the epilogue written back in '95 or thereabouts, well before the world fell in love with her books.

ThePythia June 25th, 2007 5:13 pm

Quote:

Well, we all know what Jo's like. She's managed to write these spectacular books with things that none of us would ever have expected, I'm sure there's going to be loads more to come and then in the end we'll all be like "OH YEAH!"
JKR is pretty firm that she won't be writing any more books. She'll probably wrap it up with an epilogue.

Quote:

The after life hasn't been clearly defined, though it has been discussed. Unless she spends a lot of time in this last book outlining the effects of the afterlife, or finds a way to make it less scary for children, I don't think she will kill him off. The effect would be too traumatic.
I too believe Harry will survive. But I don't think HP being a children's series is going to stop JKR from killing off major characters. She hasn't hesitated with Sirius and Dumbledore. And she stated herself that these books are about death (or something along those lines).

oneinhufflepuff June 25th, 2007 6:15 pm

Quote:

I think it bears noting here that JKR has said she loves the Narnia series, and I am quite sure they inspired her plenty in writing Harry Potter. Also, your comparisons are too strict-who's to say that JKR will not go down in history as the first children's book writer to pull off the death of the main character? Don't you think she can write it in such a beautiful and bittersweet way that it would still be a beloved classic? (And there is a good chance she will explore the afterlife more) I don't think Harry Potter will be an exact comparison to anything, really.

Quote:

Okay, while I'm also in the "Harry lives" camp, I think there's not really that much in common between Harry Potter and the Hobbit. The Hobbit was not intended to be Tolkien's masterpiece so to speak, and he put much more of himself and his beliefs into LoTR. Also, the Hobbit is one book and HP/LotR are series. And I don't think LotR was about war any more than Narnia was about death. In fact I think they were both comparable because they subtly (or not so subtly) included Christian themes. JKR has said her religious beliefs will give away too much of DHs plot...Actually, what's really interesting is that Narnia's ending is "kids die but it's a happy ending" and LotR's ending is "kids live but sad ending"...i would have to say that those are good ways of ending HP. I don't think if Harry dies it will be a totally sad ending, and if he lives it will be totally happy.

In that sense I could see JKR writing something neither exactly like Narnia, the story for kids, or like LotR the story for adults, but something in between, which I think is much more what she had in mind all along.

I also think Harry will survive, but the only reason I brought up LoTR was as an example of an ending where a main character survives but in a tragic way. From what the editor and GrandPre have said, I'm pretty sure DH will have a sad ending, so I think Harry's ending will be emotionally like "Frodo's ending"...that's all I meant by it. :tu:

RE_master916 June 25th, 2007 7:02 pm

Yes, I think Harry will die in DH. I don't see how else he can defeat Voldy with the power of love and still live.

Lord_Kaine June 25th, 2007 7:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE_master916 (Post 4588859)
Yes, I think Harry will die in DH. I don't see how else he can defeat Voldy with the power of love and still live.

I agree. Throughout the books, there has been the build-up where people sacrifice themselves so that others can live, Sirius mentioning that there are things worth dying for. Harry has challenged death for six years now, and got away just barely. Four times thanks to DD (PS, CoS, OotP, HBP), once thanks to Hermiones timeturner (PoA), and once thanks to Prior Incantem, his reflexes (which I think will help him alot in DH) and the ghosts. Many people have sacrificed themselves for Harry, or died beside him throughout the books.

I just cannot see Harry stepping back once more while someone else dies because they're with or saves him. That's what he want to avoid more than anything, which is why he tries to keep Ginny out of it, and why he tried to keep Ron and Hermione out of it.

And I'm not sure how he would defeat LV either, as the poster above mentioned. Unless there is some odd love-empowering spell, or something else that comes into work when Harry faces off with Voldy for the last time, (which, I might say, I don't want that to happen) then I see it unlikely that he would survive while someone else die. It's just his time to go, I think. Let him be reunited with his family, as he have wanted all along.

AmesGDG June 25th, 2007 8:30 pm

i've believed that harry would die ever since the prophecy said that "neither can live while the other survives". i don't know why i get the feeling, but i think that's where it is heading. harry has to sacrifice himself to save his closest friends, hogwarts, and the world. it sounds like the most true and noble thing anyone can ever do. i really like what you said, kaine. it just sounds right. i would be disappointed if harry suddenly gets something equivalent to superpowers in the end battle. i just don't think it will happen like that. voldy should be defeated with love and sacrifice, and harry is the one to do it. he knows that. he's a very noble person [i like that word.. heh.] when he realizes what he has to do, he will do it.

at least, this is what i have conjured up in my head. =]

also, hufflepuff mentioned that JK Rowling said that her beliefs would give up too much of DHs plot. well, if she's christian, isn't sacrifice the biggest theme in the bible? first, being a servant to others, sacrificing pride, harry's done that. and of course jesus sacrificing his life so that the world may live without sin. i think that's comparable to harry sacrificing his life so that the world may live without the evil that is voldemort. =]

DSE June 25th, 2007 8:42 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord_Kaine (Post 4588889)

And I'm not sure how he would defeat LV either, as the poster above mentioned. Unless there is some odd love-empowering spell, or something else that comes into work when Harry faces off with Voldy for the last time, (which, I might say, I don't want that to happen) then I see it unlikely that he would survive while someone else die. It's just his time to go, I think. Let him be reunited with his family, as he have wanted all along.

I disagree completely. I think there is no doubt that Harry lives. Plenty of reasons, both literary and practical. I think the message of the series is that life is tough, you are up against the bad guys constantly, but good triumphs over evil in the end. Also, he's an extremely popular character and JKR doesn't want to have to spend the remainder of her life defending why she killed him off (not to mention the fact that as a matter of business, this generation of readers is much less likely to pass this on to the next generation knowing he died in the end). There's a big difference in my opinion in a children's book in the main character dieing than in an older character (such as Dumbledore who was old as dirt anyway) or Sirius (another older character) or a minor character like Cedric Digory. As a matter of fact, I don't think any of the three main charactors (or more accurately, main four characters as Ginny works her way into the trio) dies. My guess would be Hagrid, maybe Snape, and if another young character dies, I'm guessing it would be Malfoy.

I do thing Ron and Hermione live happily ever after as man and wife as do Harry and Ginny. Its clearly their destiny, Harry is only putting off the inevitable by breaking up with her in book six. I think Snape is evil but but made an unbreakable oath not to harm any of the students at hogwarts. He plays himself off as a double agent, Dumbledore never fully trusted him but wasn't completely convinced. He let him stay at Hogwarts all those years because he believed in giving him an opportunity to redeem himself, but in the end he is in fact evil.

AmesGDG June 25th, 2007 9:12 pm

well, DSE, JK isn't afraid of death.

JKR: "My books are largely about death. They open with the death of Harry's parents. There is Voldemort's obsession with conquering death and his quest for immortality at any price, the goal of anyone with magic. I so understand why Voldemort wants to conquer death. We're all frightened of it. [jan 10, 06, tatlet magazine]

so i don't think she's going to not kill off harry just because that's what the children want. i don't think she's afraid to use death as a tool.. harry sacrificing himself for the wizarding world to live happily. in that end, good still conquers evil. but that's another note..

another quote..

Jo: "Well, you know. A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil. They don't target the extras do they? They go for the main characters, or I do." [in an interview with the richard and judy show. june 26, 06]

she's definitely not scared to kill harry, or at least one of the trio.

Scothoser June 25th, 2007 9:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4588628)
I don't know. She's killed off a few characters that were loved and I have no doubt she'd do it again. Besides which, these are no longer children's books. JKR's readers have grown up with the books and she'd be foolish not to take that into acount if that is the direction the story should go (meaning that I doubt she'd shy away from killing Harry if that's what the story demanded). JKR does not strike me as particularly foolish :)

I'm afraid I would have to disagree. The books continue to be written for a younger audience, even if there are children that have grown up with the books. The vocabulary remains fairly simple, with new words thrown in as vocabulary builders. Many children's books are so written, and written well, as JK has done with hers. But that doesn't remiss the fact that the books are ultimately written for children. Even as they have gotten darker over the years, the same basic premise behind them have remained the same. JK can't forget that her stories are going to be read by children at a young age, from the first to the last, after this last one is done.

If you compare her works with Young Adult books where sex (though not explicitly) is more likely to be discussed, and more adult material is added to the mix, her style stands out as still basically innocent in a lot of ways. The emotions that are expressed are simple enough for children to understand. That, at least in my mind, defines the books as children's books.

As for killing off characters, deaths can happen in children's books. But they are not generally the main characters. That was my point. To kill off main characters means to introduce a level of trauma to children that still have trouble differentiating between real and fantasy. The following quote was from a paper regarding the development of special needs children, but the quote is true of all children:
Exceptional Children: Navigating Learning Disabilities and Special EducationDistinguishing between fantasy and reality requires the ability to engage in perspective taking,...

If children are unable to determine between fantasy and reality, how can they cope with the death of someone they have grown to love in such an intimate way? Imagine the outrage from parents if their children end up needing support groups and counseling because of the deaths of the main characters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillebet
JKR wrote the ending back when she first started. She knew where she wanted this to go and she has been writing the books for herself, not for Bloomsbury (?), not for Warner Brothers, not for mums or dads of kiddies who read, etc. Which, as far as I'm concerned, makes her a true writer.

I'm sure she's grateful for the fame and fortune, but I seriously doubt that any of that influenced her decisions about the fate of Harry & Co. Remember, she had the epilogue written back in '95 or thereabouts, well before the world fell in love with her books.

Please note that my argument is that the publisher and the producers would be concerned with their own profits, and was therefore not JK's concern. Regardless of her motivation for the writing and publication of her work, it still all comes down to money. Her publishers would be less inclined to print, particularly if they thought there was the slightest chance that parents would sue them for counseling costs of their children due to a book that they allowed to be published. And also please note, as recent lawsuits continue to mount, that many parents are not willing to take the responsibility upon themselves for allowing their children to read a book, since no one knows until the book is published what will happen.

Yes, the integrity of the work should be preserved, but publishers are more inclined to look at the bottom line than the art. While I know no self respecting artist would allow a publisher to change their art for the sake of money, the publisher can easily refuse to print the material. So the simple fact that the book is being published brings me to the conclusion that either Harry is alive at the end, or that Harry dies is such a way that the loss and confusion behind death is explained to give children peace. Course, that's just my point of view. ^_^

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneinhufflepuff
In that sense I could see JKR writing something neither exactly like Narnia, the story for kids, or like LotR the story for adults, but something in between, which I think is much more what she had in mind all along.

I also think Harry will survive, but the only reason I brought up LoTR was as an example of an ending where a main character survives but in a tragic way. From what the editor and GrandPre have said, I'm pretty sure DH will have a sad ending, so I think Harry's ending will be emotionally like "Frodo's ending"...that's all I meant by it.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought your comparison was incorrect! I actually really liked it, in that it explained how tragedy can reside in a happy "good defeats evil" world. And I do concede that JK could in fact be the first to happily kill off the main characters without another thought. I just don't see that as being likely. The reality is that she has still continued to tailor these stories to children, though introducing some very adult concepts like death and living with guilt to them.

But she's doing it in a way that children are able to work out for themselves. Take the death of Sirius Black, the one that really hit the fans hard. Harry tried to find some way to talk to Sirius again, not wanting him to really be dead. Then she both introduced and explained the other possible avenue: become a ghost. She explains how ghosts are left behind, and explained that those who choose not to remain move on.

Dumbledore's death was seen as a release for Dumbledore, with the pain that he was experiencing, as well as a way to create a scandal around Snape. It served the epic storyteller's plot development by placing the hero without his mentor. Death on this scale is pretty traumatic, but we still have the hero to work out the trauma within ourselves. We can take solace in the fact that Harry has accepted his place in the story, and is prepared to do what is right, and not what is easy. She also explained that death is just another adventure to a well organized mind in the first book. She is preparing us for death, and as such makes Dumbledore's death that much more easy to accept.

But they are not main characters, and we haven't become as emotionally connected to them as with Harry, Ron, and Hermione (at least for most of us ^_^). To kill a main character without hope of seeing them again in some way is a traumatic event that many children that can't handle the fantasy vs. reality aspect wouldn't be able to accept. That's why I don't think Harry will die. There isn't anyone to take the story over, no other perspective that will help us understand how to continue on after Harry dies. No other character in the books has had their perspective in parallel to Harry's. Sure, other characters have spoken, and there have been single chapters without Harry in them, but of the Trio, only Harry's perspective is seen.

Even with LoTR, Samwise becomes the new perspective about half-way through the book. He becomes the storyteller, and many of the events are seen through his eyes and not Frodo's. This process allows us to accept Frodo's passage into the Land of the West, and the story ends with Samwise returning to Bag End with his family.

Of course, I am completely prepared to eat my words should I be completely off base here. ^_^

nano June 25th, 2007 9:55 pm

Jo has already stated that the 2way mirror will come into it again ... well if she kills Harry, it will be in a very heroic beautiful kind of way, and I reckon it will be a sacrificing death - but I think we will see a bit further than just Harrys death - I think the reunion with loved ones will make Harry a very happy chappy - even though he is dead - but I also think he might find a way to communicate his happiness in the after life to those who survive and are left behind (perhaps through a 2way mirror) this would give Harry peace and also those who survive would not mourn if they knew he at last had found happiness

nano

fryonator June 25th, 2007 10:07 pm

I'm not saying that Harry will die but I am sure that if Jk had him dying when she first wrote the story then she won't change anything. She has loads of money and if a publishing company wouldn't accept her work she would have just changed publishers with the snap of her fingers. She is the dominant one in the relationship with the publisher.

Scothoser June 25th, 2007 10:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nano (Post 4589300)
Jo has already stated that the 2way mirror will come into it again ... well if she kills Harry, it will be in a very heroic beautiful kind of way, and I reckon it will be a sacrificing death - but I think we will see a bit further than just Harrys death - I think the reunion with loved ones will make Harry a very happy chappy - even though he is dead - but I also think he might find a way to communicate his happiness in the after life to those who survive and are left behind (perhaps through a 2way mirror) this would give Harry peace and also those who survive would not mourn if they knew he at last had found happiness

nano

If Harry were to die, that is how I would like it to end. It would be very similar to the ending of the Narnia series, with the Kings and Queens of Narnia, though killed on Earth in a train wreck, continuing on into Aslan's country which is more beautiful still.

In this case Harry is reunited with all the people he loves, and continues on with the next great adventure. I honestly think it's the only way that his death could be accomplished without the traumatic effect that would occur otherwise.

oneinhufflepuff June 26th, 2007 1:28 am

Quote:

That's why I don't think Harry will die. There isn't anyone to take the story over, no other perspective that will help us understand how to continue on after Harry dies. No other character in the books has had their perspective in parallel to Harry's. Sure, other characters have spoken, and there have been single chapters without Harry in them, but of the Trio, only Harry's perspective is seen.

Even with LoTR, Samwise becomes the new perspective about half-way through the book. He becomes the storyteller, and many of the events are seen through his eyes and not Frodo's. This process allows us to accept Frodo's passage into the Land of the West, and the story ends with Samwise returning to Bag End with his family.
You have some really interesting ideas and I like where you're going with this! :cool: One thing I've noticed that JKR tends to do stylistically is show us the darker, or at least more obnoxious and flawed, side of her characters before they die. It sounds strange but when you think about it, for the vast majority of OotP Sirius was quite annoyingly rash and foolhardy, I wanted to smack him several times for risking so much out of boredom! And Dumbledore was never more annoying than right before he died, after snapping at Harry over Draco and Snape, and even the prophecy a little bit. I think she does this in a way in order to make the deaths more poignant, as someone put it in a different thread "so that we think, "wow I wish this guy would just shut up and get lost" and then we feel guilty and sad when, several pages later, he actually does."

Now, I don't know about the popular opinion regarding this, but I think Harry is showing a few dangerous tendancies and approaching someone other than the sweet little Harry we all used to love, the underdog. I think he's gotten, slowly, a bit of a swelled head, a bit of a "saving people thing" that is quite possibly the greatest weakness of his character. Now personally I think JKR was bringing this quite to the forefront in HBP with the Snape scene and Harry's little "I must go it alone" speech with Ginny, Ron, and Hermione. Considering her pattern, that bodes very, very ill for Harry.

I tend to disagree about the lack of a Sam character...I think Ron and Hermione mirror Frodo's little "Sam I must carry it, it is mine" and Sam's "Huh? But I'm here with you to the end!" bit. Almost perfectly, in fact. Hermione and Ron are clearly the "Sam" characters if there are any, Ron most obviously.

All of this is rather ominous, I know, but as I said, I do think Harry will live! For many of the same reasons you do, in fact. But most importantly, because I think JKR can accomplish all the themes she is trying to accomplish literarily without Harry's death. Narnia necissitated the death of the kids as it was much more strictly allegorical. With Harry Potter, a Frodo type symbolic "death" or loss will suffice quite nicely I think. But I do expect survival to come with huge tragedy and great cost, and for Harry's stubborness and arrogance to come to the fore before the end of DH.

Taylor_Elise June 26th, 2007 8:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOTMods (Post 4588548)
I'm sure there's going to be loads more to come and then in the end we'll all be like "OH YEAH!"

I get what you're saying completely, and I agree. No matter the outcome, by the last sentence of the epilogue, I am 100% positive it's going to be that "OH YEAH!" reaction, where...out of all the things we've speculated on and all the potential endings we've come up with--Jo did it her way and it makes perfect sense.

Quote:

Thanks for bringing some solid comparisons into this--it's really refreshing to see someone back up their argument!

Quote:

I think it makes a LOT of sense to say Harry can't die because the afterlife hasn't been explored enough for it to be less traumatic. However, as several people a couple posts above me pointed out, there's plenty room for that in the next book. :D

Quote:

(From Lord_Kaine)I just cannot see Harry stepping back once more while someone else dies because they're with or saves him. That's what he want to avoid more than anything, which is why he tries to keep Ginny out of it, and why he tried to keep Ron and Hermione out of it.

This is a strong point which is one of the main reasons I'm in the "Harry will die" camp. I really just don't see him sitting back and watching someone else die. I firmly believe he's going to be the one to step up and, for lack of a better phrase, be a man. I feel very strongly that he's going to take this responsibility on for himself and see where it takes him. In my feeble, somewhat morbidly sentimental opinion, I think this will take him to an ending where he dies... :upset:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryonator (Post 4589327)
I'm not saying that Harry will die but I am sure that if JK had him dying when she first wrote the story then she won't change anything. She has loads of money and if a publishing company wouldn't accept her work she would have just changed publishers with the snap of her fingers. She is the dominant one in the relationship with the publisher.

I also agree with you totally here, as well. I think at this point in the series...all Bloomsbury is really going to do is go, "Oh...Wow, Jo...are you...sure you don't want to rethink that?" They know for a fact that if JK takes her FINAL Potter book somewhere else, they're going to lose out on the MILLIONS of dollars being made worldwide. Not to mention...all the presales? For crying out loud, I think by now Bloomsbury's probably sitting back going, "Kill him, we don't care--we're still making money off of it!"
(sorry, that was a little harsh, but...hey, it could happen, right?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneinhufflepuff (Post 4589665)
One thing I've noticed that JKR tends to do stylistically is show us the darker, or at least more obnoxious and flawed, side of her characters before they die. It sounds strange but when you think about it, for the vast majority of OotP Sirius was quite annoyingly rash and foolhardy, I wanted to smack him several times for risking so much out of boredom! And Dumbledore was never more annoying than right before he died, after snapping at Harry over Draco and Snape, and even the prophecy a little bit. I think she does this in a way in order to make the deaths more poignant, as someone put it in a different thread "so that we think, "wow I wish this guy would just shut up and get lost" and then we feel guilty and sad when, several pages later, he actually does."

It's funny you say that--I actually, fleetingly (mind you), had that thought when Harry first rushed into Dumbledore's office after discovering Snape's betrayal. It just seemed so odd and unique in that moment that Dumbledore would just be so PIGHEADED about someone that neither Harry, nor the adoring-Harry reader, trusts or likes. I LOVE Dumbledore, and I was very sad to see him go, but I think you're right about this particular trait standing out before deaths in the past. Remember Cedric? Harry and Cedric both were like "I'm not taking the cup, man, you take it"--"No, you got here first, it's yours"--"Shut up, I'm not taking it!"

Overall...I think the signs point to Harry's death, and as much as I hate to say it, I'm almost positive he'll die.

On the note that these are children's books, I don't think Jo will hesitate to introduce the death of a main character. Especially after reading this interview: Stephen Fry Interview With JK Rowling

Quote:

"SF: But I do think it is one of the advances in children's literature that you have made with this remarkable series, is that you have not held back from the difficult and the frightening and the treacherous and the unjust and all the things that most exercise children's minds.

JKR: I feel very strongly that there is a move to sanitize literature because we're trying to protect children not from, necessarily, from the grisly facts of life, but from their own imaginations.

I remember being in America a few years ago and Halloween was approaching, and three television programmes in a row were talking about how to explain to children it wasn't real. Now there's a reason why we create these stories, and we have always created these stories, and the reason why we have had these pagan festivals, and the reason why even the church allows a certain amount of fear... we need to feel fear, and we need to confront that in an controlled environment. That's a very important part of growing up, I think. And the child that has been protected from the dementors in fiction, I would argue, is much more likely to fall prey to them later in life in reality.

And also, what are we saying to children who do have scary and disturbing thoughts? We're saying that's wrong, that's not natural, and it's not something that's intrinsic to the human condition. That they're in some way odd or ill.

SF: Exactly.

JKR: That's a very dangerous thing to tell a child.

SF: And guilt is the greatest trigger for aggression that man has. And if people grow up thinking they're peculiar for having dark thoughts or being aware of the weirder side of the world and their lives, then that's going to make them awful human beings, isn't it?

JKR: [quietly] I totally agree.

SF: One of the jobs of writing, in a sense, is to show you that you're not alone.

JKR: Yes, yes, it is, and certainly, I discovered I wasn't alone through books, I think, arguably more than I did through friendships in my early days, 'cause I was quite an introverted child, and it was through reading that I realized I wasn't alone on all sorts of levels."

BBenton357 June 26th, 2007 12:29 pm

Two thoughts.....

Just my humble hypothesis here, but in the very first chapter in the Harry Potter story was "The Boy Who Lived". Wouldn't that make a great last chapter as well? I love the theory, but am afraid that would be too obvious for anyone that thumbed through the chapters.

Secondly, I think it will be a he dies and then lives ending. I think the scar is in fact a horcrux, and that Harry dies intentionally for love (protecting Ginny for example.) The death kills the Horcrux and Harry lives without the lightning bolt scar. I am not as well versed on all the details as other memebers of this site. However, I am rereading the boks now in preparation for Deathly Hallows. In Chamber of Secrets, Dumbledore tells Harry "Unless I'm mistaken, he transferred some of his own powers to you the night he gave you that scar." So, I think Voldemort will kill Harry, think he has won, and in fact do just the thing that allows Harry to live.

MLynas June 26th, 2007 12:54 pm

I really don't even know what I want part of me really wants Harry to die the other doesn't Im confident whatever the outcome it'll be the right one for the story.

However I don't see JKR exploring afterlife to much she isn't going to hshow us Harry in heaven with his Mum and Dad and Dumbledore and Sirius and Cedric, it's not gona be like them standing waving to Ron like the end of Return of the Jedi.

I don't think JKR wants to impart on us her beliefs on the afterlife to much. I think she wants us to accept death and to respect it but not to fear it. She can;t go saying because in the afterlife there an all you can eat buffet with no cue!

Besides imagine if she put some sort of Wizard/Muggle heaven in Laura Malorie would be in court before 10am book release day

bj_gibson June 26th, 2007 2:40 pm

I think Harry will die in Deathly Hallows. However, I don't think he will die at the hands of "Tom Riddle Jr." or any of his followers. I think Harry will defeat Tom Riddle Jr. in a final battle. I expect Harry to die in the epilogue part where J.K.Rowling is telling us what becomes of the characters. I think Harry will defeat Tom Riddle Jr., get married to someone (I don't quite like the shipping theories, so I will leave it you's to decide!), have children, and do many more extraordinary things, then die at an ripe old age! Perhaps 150 years old ? Like Professor Dumbledore (R.I.P), or maybe even longer!?

I'm very excited about this book! 24 days left 'till we find out everything!

Flobbergusterbo June 26th, 2007 3:31 pm

no way! harry wont die. i dont want him to anyway. :upset:
he is the main character!

ThatGrangerGirl June 26th, 2007 5:49 pm

I'm a bit torn to be honest. I hope Harry doesn't die but I am leaning into the fact that he just might. It would be tragic and sad but I think it would end the books just as well as keeping him alive.

I'm just praying that Harry makes it out but I still have that fear that he and Voldermort must both die.

20ofdecember June 26th, 2007 11:39 pm

I think Harry can't die, JK just wouldn't do that- its against the theme of the books.

I have two theories about the ending though. Rowling always ends each plot with a bang, something we've never really thought of, but something still satisfying. Of course she will end the series with the biggest band yet. I think it will be something we've not really guessed- a surprise really. If Harry finished voldemort and lives, then it really wont resonate as well as if Harry dies-- but Harry dying just doesn't satisfy too much either. I have 2 theories that I think would be a definite end to the series, but nothing that we really foresaw:

1. Harry will not die per se, but he will not return to the land of the living. He cannot kill voldemort with his wand because Voldemort's wand cancel's his out (priori incantum)-- so he will have to travel beyond the mysterious veil to finish off his nemesis. He will finally be reunited with Sirius (his death did seem a bit odd, didn't it?) and maybe possibly his mom and dad-- and even Dumbledore. But there's just one thing. Those who go through the veil cannot return to the land of the living. Thus, Harry will be eternally seperated from his best friends, but live forever with his family at last.

2. This is not really my theory, but i think it fits very nicely. We know so far that its been hinted that Harry's scar is a horcrux. Just look at Harry's "mysterious" connection to Voldemort, how he seems to have an inside view of his mind. And look at how Dumbledore suggested that Nagini-- a living thing-- could be a horcrux. Usually, people jump to the conclusion that if Harry is a horcrux, he must die to kill Voldemort. But I say Au Contraire. Mr. Severus Snape, our expert ex-potionsmaster and ex-DADA professor, knows how to remove and destroy the Horcrux on harry-- without killing him. But like all things Potter- there's a catch. Harry must lose his magical abilities along with the horcrux. He will become a squib in order to make Voldemort mortal once again.

wisdomheaven June 26th, 2007 11:56 pm

^How would either of those be satisfying ends to the story?If Harry loses his power to that would be worst then death.IF he is stuck in between the land of the living and the land of the dead that is still WORSE then death.:no: Interesting theories but i just hope they don't come to pass.That would ruin the series for a lot of people and plus its kinda cliche.:)

thegr8sara June 27th, 2007 12:10 am

You don't set up "the boy who lived" for seven books only to have him end up as "The man who died".

All this hogwash about Harry finally getting to 'be with' his family is over romanticized drivel. If he has to die to be with them, then he WILL be with them...eventually.

Harry will be willing to die. He will come VERY close to dying, heck, he may even cross through that mysterious veil on the archway--but in the end he will live so that generations of readers for years to come will be able to think, dream & wonder about just what kind of man the 'boy who lived' became.

wisdomheaven June 27th, 2007 12:27 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegr8sara (Post 4591509)
You don't set up "the boy who lived" for seven books only to have him end up as "The man who died".

All this hogwash about Harry finally getting to 'be with' his family is over romanticized drivel. If he has to die to be with them, then he WILL be with them...eventually.

Harry will be willing to die. He will come VERY close to dying, heck, he may even cross through that mysterious veil on the archway--but in the end he will live so that generations of readers for years to come will be able to think, dream & wonder about just what kind of man the 'boy who lived' became.

Totally agree with you! However, i would rather Harry die then hime lose his powers.Either way, i think Jk will make whatever happens reasonable and good.She has never failed us fans yet!

oneinhufflepuff June 27th, 2007 1:44 am

Quote:

Totally agree and excellent point.

Quote:

This is not really my theory, but i think it fits very nicely. Harry must lose his magical abilities along with the horcrux. He will become a squib in order to make Voldemort mortal once again.
I have to admit I love this theory. It would be very sad, but I'm convinced the ending will be very sad as the US editor and Mary GrandPre said the book was emotional and hard to read. This theory is tied for my favorite with the "Harry goes through the veil and comes back" theory. In fact I would pretty much love it if they were combined...Harry is a horcrux and falls through the veil to rid himself of his scar, killing Voldy at the same moment, and gets to come back out somehow, maybe through the locked room of love. Very dramatic.

The losing his powers theory is just so thematically perfect for a children's book...at the end, the children grow up, the magic stops, and real adult life begins. It would end just how it started. Yes, I would cry and cry but I still prefer it to Harry flat out dying as it's a much more complicated ending that really tugs the heartstrings! :p

The one thing that makes me wonder if this theory could be wrong is that JKR said her religion gives away much about DH. Well, duh, Christianity involves death and ressurection. But she has also said death is final and it might feel cheap if Harry can come back when no one else can. I don't know what to think!

ThePythia June 27th, 2007 5:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor_Elise (Post 4590169)
On the note that these are children's books, I don't think Jo will hesitate to introduce the death of a main character. Especially after reading this interview: Stephen Fry Interview With JK Rowling

Actually, it's JKR's interviews and quotes which make me believe Harry will survive. Let's examine her statements regarding Harry's death.

If I’m not mistaken, the whole debate about Harry’s survival was triggered by JKR herself, when she said this:

Quote:

"I always planned seven [Potter books], I never said I would do another one, but at the moment there will be just the seven. I've got it planned, and Harry dies obviously...But that's just a joke -- or is it?"
Okay, so she says she cried a lot after killing Sirius off and all along, as she developed his character, she was in denial about his death. And here’s the main character of the book, who is one of her favourite characters. And she’s joking about his death? She has never joked about Sirius’s death, nor Dumbledore's. Then in an interview with Jeremy Paxman in 2003, she does it again:

Quote:

Paxman: Why stop when they grow up? Might be interesting to know what becomes of Harry as an adult.
JKR: How do you know he'll still be alive?
Paxman: Oh. At the end of book 7?
JKR: It would be one way to kill off the merchandising.
Paxman: That really would be killing the Golden Goose wouldn't it?
JKR: Yeah, well. I'm supposed to be richer than the Queen. What do I care?
“What do I care?” she says. What wouldn’t she care? She loves Harry, doesn’t she? Note how casual and nonchalant her tone is, so different from this:

Quote:

More people are going to die. And...they...well, there's at least one death that I'm ... that ... that is going to be horri...horrible to write. To rewrite, actually, because it's already written. But -- It has to be!
Here she’s talking about an actual death (could be Sirius or Dumbledore), and she seems miserable talking about it. And then she expects us to believe that she could joke about Harry’s death?

She’s always very careful about answering questions about Harry’s survival. But sometimes she slips up. In the World Book Day chat 2004, someone asked her:

Quote:

Will Harry become Headmaster of Hogwarts?
JK Rowling replies: I'm not sure I can see Harry in an academic career, he's seen so much action!
So she does see Harry in a career after school, if not an academic one. Also:

Quote:

Are you going to write books about Harry after school?
JK Rowling replies: Probably not, but I'll never say never because every time I do I immediately break the vow!
She could have answered these with her usual “how can you be sure Harry will survive,” but she slipped up.

I think JKR's quotes are closest to what we can call evidence regarding Harry's survival since the books are not very clear on that and their interpretation can go either way. And going by JKR's quotes, I believe Harry will survive.

sweets7 June 27th, 2007 5:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePythia (Post 4592756)
“What do I care?” she says. What wouldn’t she care? She loves Harry, doesn’t she? Note how casual and nonchalant her tone is, so different from this:

Here she’s talking about an actual death (could be Sirius or Dumbledore), and she seems miserable talking about it. And then she expects us to believe that she could joke about Harry’s death?

She has always been sarcastic and ironic; all she really meant was that she was not going to let the 'bad for business' line prevent her from doing what she wanted.

That interview with the BBC, Harry and me (remember watching it about 6 years ago) was her real opinion on matters (about the big death). Who she was talking about we just do not know. To some writers (not all) their characters appear real to them, killing them would seem like an awful burden of responsibility.

I am sure JKR will do the series justice. This whole ‘she won't kill Harry because it would be bad for business’ is in my view, ridiculous and crazy, and would demean the series, which is a work of literature. She should just do her story justice and forget about the rest.

ThePythia June 27th, 2007 6:08 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweets7 (Post 4592841)
She has always been sarcastic and ironic; all she really meant was that she was not going to let the 'bad for business' line prevent her from doing what she wanted.

It's not just that particular quote. She has always been casual and nonchalant when she's talking about Harry's death which is very different from how she talks about the death of a character in the BBC interview.

Plus, she's the one who brings in the topic of "merchandising" (again in a tongue-in-cheek manner). Note that Paxman simply asks her if Harry's going to survive.

Quote:

I am sure JKR will do the series justice. This whole ‘she won't kill Harry because it would be bad for business’ is in my view, ridiculous and crazy, and would demean the series, which is a work of literature. She should just do her story justice and forget about the rest.
I agree. I don't think she'll let the views of the fandom affect what she originally planned for the series.

sweets7 June 27th, 2007 7:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePythia (Post 4592888)
It's not just that particular quote. She has always been casual and nonchalant when she's talking about Harry's death which is very different from how she talks about the death of a character in the BBC interview.

Plus, she's the one who brings in the topic of "merchandising" (again in a tongue-in-cheek manner). Note that Paxman simply asks her if Harry's going to survive.

To be honest I think the whole merchandising think irritates her slightly, that is probably why she kept mentioning it, in that interview.

About her being nonchalant, well yeah she has been. I really do not pay attention when she talks about the possible deaths (or otherwise) of characters. She is very clever and has given quotes that could indicate either Harry's death or Harry's survival.

She did the same with Hogwarts; she always said the books were about Harry's 7 years at Hogwarts. Chances are though, Harry will not be returning for school in the last book. She had to say he was because if she did not, it would give Dumbledore's death away. Harry would never leave while he was alive.

Quote:

This interests me; why do you think his death would traumatise young children? I was much younger then most people are when they read Harry Potter, when I understood what death meant and what happened to you when you die. In fact I was only around five. Of course at that age I was taught a christian perspective (and believed it); the after life, angels, the immortality of the soul and all that. JKR books tend to take this view of death and the after life; as in there is a life after death and the physical death of someone is not the end for the soul. Death and particularily the acceptance of death, has been outlined by JKR, as a positive thing. Voldemort very name and character indicates what an immense fear of death can do.

She has outlined death, in my view, well enough, and has painted a Christian view of it. I do not think this would be traumatising for children. She is not telling a story, where the belief is that when you die, you die, and that is it.

CS Lewis & Tolkien never gave attention or time to the impact of death. The plot centred on the great and heroic acts that the living can do, and how to fight for the side of good was noble and brave. Rowling has particularly created characters that are heroic and good, because they consider the fight for right, something that is worth dying for. I never for one moment thought that Frodo or the Pevensie's would die, with Harry, it is possible

nano June 27th, 2007 9:15 pm

One thing that tells me we definitely ARE going to leran more about the afterlife, is that she has already said, we will learn more about becoming a ghost

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2000/0200-scholastic-chat.htm
What makes some witches/wizards become ghosts after they die and some not?
A. You don't really find that out until Book VII, but I can say that the happiest people do not become ghosts. As you might guess, Moaning Myrtle!

That makes me think there might just be a chance we will get a glimpse of Harry in the afterlife ...

nano

sweets7 June 27th, 2007 9:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nano (Post 4593443)
One thing that tells me we definitely ARE going to leran more about the afterlife, is that she has already said, we will learn more about becoming a ghost

That makes me think there might just be a chance we will get a glimpse of Harry in the afterlife ...

nano

Nearly Headless Nick tells Harry in OOTP that to become a ghost and reject the after life is ultimately cowardly. I think we will learn more about this.

ThePythia June 28th, 2007 7:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweets7 (Post 4593213)
To be honest I think the whole merchandising think irritates her slightly, that is probably why she kept mentioning it, in that interview.

Agreed. But she won't let that affect the outcome of the series- whether it be letting Harry survive to save the merchandising or killing Harry off simply because she's irritated with it.

Quote:

About her being nonchalant, well yeah she has been. I really do not pay attention when she talks about the possible deaths (or otherwise) of characters. She is very clever and has given quotes that could indicate either Harry's death or Harry's survival.
JKR is quite emotionally invested in her characters. She wouldn't be so nonchalant if she was actually planning to kill Harry off. And yes, she's very good at avoiding questions about Harry's survival, but sometimes she slips up, as I mentioned previously.

Quote:

She did the same with Hogwarts; she always said the books were about Harry's 7 years at Hogwarts. Chances are though, Harry will not be returning for school in the last book. She had to say he was because if she did not, it would give Dumbledore's death away. Harry would never leave while he was alive.
I don't think this comparison holds. We don't even know that Harry won't return to Hogwarts. Personally, I believe Harry will return to Hogwarts, perhaps not as a student, but he will. JKR doesn't lie.

Bellatrix11 June 28th, 2007 8:31 am

i rekon harry and voldermort will die harry will kill voldermort but by doing that harry dies as well Lol well thats what i think

kelti2 June 28th, 2007 9:25 am

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but what about Wormtail? He still owes Harry his life. Dumbledore tells Harry in POA that him and Pettigrew now have a "bond" and says "the time may come when you will be very glad you saved Pettigrew's life". My theory is that Harry will learn how to destroy the horcrux (his scar) but will have to die in the process. Then, with the magic bond between them, Wormtail will die instead, leaving Harry alive and scarless and Voldemort will finally be defeated. :)

Moriath June 28th, 2007 9:45 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelti2 (Post 4594647)
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but what about Wormtail? He still owes Harry his life. Dumbledore tells Harry in POA that him and Pettigrew now have a "bond" and says "the time may come when you will be very glad you saved Pettigrew's life". My theory is that Harry will learn how to destroy the horcrux (his scar) but will have to die in the process. Then, with the magic bond between them, Wormtail will die instead, leaving Harry alive and scarless and Voldemort will finally be defeated. :)

You may be interested in Wormtail's life debt to Harry? :)

sweets7 June 28th, 2007 12:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePythia (Post 4594551)
JKR is quite emotionally invested in her characters. She wouldn't be so nonchalant if she was actually planning to kill Harry off. And yes, she's very good at avoiding questions about Harry's survival, but sometimes she slips up, as I mentioned previously.

I don't think this comparison holds. We don't even know that Harry won't return to Hogwarts. Personally, I believe Harry will return to Hogwarts, perhaps not as a student, but he will. JKR doesn't lie.

I do not think she was slipping up, I think she meant to give mixed messages.

Agreed I do think Harry will return to Hogwarts, without a doubt. However, I do not think he will return as a student; which is what the 7 years at Hogwarts meant. She does not lie but she does not always tell the absolute truth either; only as a means of protecting her story of course.

Scothoser June 28th, 2007 8:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweets7 (Post 4593213)
This interests me; why do you think his death would traumatise young children? I was much younger then most people are when they read Harry Potter, when I understood what death meant and what happened to you when you die. In fact I was only around five. Of course at that age I was taught a christian perspective (and believed it); the after life, angels, the immortality of the soul and all that. JKR books tend to take this view of death and the after life; as in there is a life after death and the physical death of someone is not the end for the soul. Death and particularily the acceptance of death, has been outlined by JKR, as a positive thing. Voldemort very name and character indicates what an immense fear of death can do.

She has outlined death, in my view, well enough, and has painted a Christian view of it. I do not think this would be traumatising for children. She is not telling a story, where the belief is that when you die, you die, and that is it.

CS Lewis & Tolkien never gave attention or time to the impact of death. The plot centred on the great and heroic acts that the living can do, and how to fight for the side of good was noble and brave. Rowling has particularly created characters that are heroic and good, because they consider the fight for right, something that is worth dying for. I never for one moment thought that Frodo or the Pensieve’s would die, with Harry, it is possible

The big reason I think it would traumatize the children is because the story is written from Harry's perspective, which means that the reader is Harry. Now, imagine being in a position where you feel threatened, much like Harry is, and then die. It's almost as if you yourself is dying along with Harry. That would be traumatic for children that haven't the perspective developed enough to distinguish between fantasy and reality.

Sirius was a traumatic death in that he was a beloved character, but you were not Sirius, reading the book as Sirius, when he died. We were all Harry, looking at a loved one dying, a third party. The same situation was presented with the death of Cedric and Dumbledore.

That perspective is too close to the reader for it not to be traumatic. The only way it would work is if the narrative shifts during book 7 to another character, watching Harry die, or death is explained as a literal journey into another world (the whole veil as an entrance theory). The problem with the shift would be continuity: It breaks from the other books. The books are written strictly from Harry's perspective with few exceptions, which are usually explained by Harry dreaming about the situation.

The journey would be more along the lines of a C.S. Lewis explanation, and would be skirting death significantly. This doesn't compare well with the way JK Rowling has been addressing death so far, so while it's an interesting theory, I don't think that would quite work.

I do agree that she has explained death well, but not well enough to take us on a journey through death. That's the argument that I am making. I don't think she can do that satisfactorily, because she is trying to explain something that relies heavily on a clear concept of an afterlife. It's been hinted at, it's been alluded to, but it hasn't been clearly explained. Perhaps she will explain the process in the last book, but I don't really think she needs to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneinhufflepuff
All of this is rather ominous, I know, but as I said, I do think Harry will live! For many of the same reasons you do, in fact. But most importantly, because I think JKR can accomplish all the themes she is trying to accomplish literarily without Harry's death. Narnia necissitated the death of the kids as it was much more strictly allegorical. With Harry Potter, a Frodo type symbolic "death" or loss will suffice quite nicely I think. But I do expect survival to come with huge tragedy and great cost, and for Harry's stubborness and arrogance to come to the fore before the end of DH.

I definitely agree with this. JK Rowling can resolve the series without killing off Harry. it's just not necessary for him to die. The prophecy specifically allows for someone to survive, the goal Harry had in HBP was to survive, and his friends are determined that he does survive. While it may be a wonderfully tragic ending for people to have Harry die in his desire to save the world, I think it's just as possible for him to survive, and still have it be just as tragic, and not as traumatic.

breathlessboy June 29th, 2007 5:43 am

I think it would be very hard for JKR to kill him off. So i would have to say no...she will not kill him

gring0tts_ June 29th, 2007 1:41 pm

I just wish JKR would not even think of killing Harry off though.

Lillbet June 29th, 2007 1:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nano (Post 4593443)

nano

Thanks for bringing this up. Good thing to keep in mind. Just a few weeks left! :tu:

gring0tts_ June 29th, 2007 1:57 pm

haha. 2 weeks~

sweets7 June 29th, 2007 2:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scothoser (Post 4595716)
The big reason I think it would traumatize the children is because the story is written from Harry's perspective, which means that the reader is Harry. Now, imagine being in a position where you feel threatened, much like Harry is, and then die. It's almost as if you yourself is dying along with Harry. That would be traumatic for children that haven't the perspective developed enough to distinguish between fantasy and reality.

Sirius was a traumatic death in that he was a beloved character, but you were not Sirius, reading the book as Sirius, when he died. We were all Harry, looking at a loved one dying, a third party. The same situation was presented with the death of Cedric and Dumbledore.

That perspective is too close to the reader for it not to be traumatic. The only way it would work is if the narrative shifts during book 7 to another character, watching Harry die, or death is explained as a literal journey into another world (the whole veil as an entrance theory). The problem with the shift would be continuity: It breaks from the other books. The books are written strictly from Harry's perspective with few exceptions, which are usually explained by Harry dreaming about the situation.

I think if he is to die we are looking at a depiction of his death much like the one given in Pans Labyrinth. He will travel to the afterlife see his: parents, Sirius, Dumbledore and whoever else is going to die in DH. As a result it will not be all doom and glum. Even though the violence in that film upset me, the ending, at least to me, seemed oddly appropriate, not sad, and very well done.

I do not think that we will see his death from the perspective of those left behind, a depiction of their reaction would indeed be too traumatic and raw for younger readers.

The narrative would probably cut straight from there, to the epilogue (who knows what form that will take).

Lillbet June 29th, 2007 2:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweets7 (Post 4597036)
I do not think that we will see his death from the perspective of those left behind, a depiction of their reaction would in did be too traumatic and raw for younger viewers.

The narrative would probably cut straight from there, to the epilogue (who knows what form that will take).

This makes sense. Especially since the books are largely from Harry's POV (aside from- maybe- two or three scenes). :tu:

bethie_brite June 29th, 2007 3:30 pm

While I was re-reading Half Blood Prince the other day, I started thinking about the interaction between Draco and Dumbledore in his final moments on the Astronomy Tower. Could this possibly be a parallel to the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort? Could it offer a clue as to the outcome of that confrontation? Remember that Draco boasts that Dumbledore is at his mercy and Dumbledore replies, (paraphrase as I don't have the book in front of me), "It is my mercy that matters now." It got me wondering if perhaps it will be Harry's mercy to Voldemort that matters in the final battle. This would indicate that Harry will not die but live and hold Voldemort's life in his hands as well. In other forums I've read, many people discuss the idea that Voldemort will survive beyond the veil or in a powerless state and will not die as so many expect. I've come to believe that this will be Harry's decision to make, the final choice that will be so important. It reminds me of a situation found in The Fellowship of the Ring. Frodo expresses anger that Bilbo didn't kill Golum when he had the chance. Gandalf replies, "It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need." In the movie version, Gandalf also says, "The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many." Likewise, Harry's choice, his pity and mercy, may rule the fate of the Wizarding and Muggle world. Dumbledore uses this word when he and Harry are gaining insight into Tom Riddle's painful childhood. He asks Harry if he is feeling pity for Voldemort...and I believe that he is. (It's my first post, I hope I was coherent!)

ThePythia June 29th, 2007 3:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweets7 (Post 4594796)
I do not think she was slipping up, I think she meant to give mixed messages.

Oh, I think she definitely slipped up. A mixed message would be "How can you be so sure he'll survive the series?" But not this:

Quote:

I'm not sure I can see Harry in an academic career, he's seen so much action!
or this:

Quote:

Are you going to write books about Harry after school?
JK Rowling replies: Probably not, but I'll never say never because every time I do I immediately break the vow!
Even though she doesn't want to give it away, at the back of her mind she does see a future for Harry.

MartyMcFly June 29th, 2007 4:08 pm

I read through this thread. but I had to reply to those "quotes" someone listed of JKR.
Quote:

I'm not sure I can see Harry in an academic career, he's seen so much action!
this quote shows that harry will die, actually. did any of you ever watch "the guardian"?

and the fact that she "might" write more books.... they could be about Ron and Hermione... or others at Hogwarts!

ThePythia June 29th, 2007 4:24 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 4597143)
this quote shows that harry will die, actually. did any of you ever watch "the guardian"?

I'm sorry, I haven't seen "The Guardian". My interpretation of that quote was that JKR sees a future and a career for Harry, even though it may not be an academic one. This would imply that she intends him to survive.

Quote:

and the fact that she "might" write more books.... they could be about Ron and Hermione... or others at Hogwarts!
She was asked if she would write more books about Harry.

sweets7 June 29th, 2007 4:37 pm

No I really do not put much fate in her discussing Harry's death. She flirts with her fans and knows exactly (at this stage) that when she talks about such an issue, she has to be very very careful what she says. I do not know either way from JKR's quotes, who will die.

The only one she has given that might indicate his survival was last summer when she was asked which five characters she would have dinner with, she named the trio then stopped and said but I know who is dead, before she mentioned any more.

Again however that quote would indicate that Hagrid is definitely going to die. I prefer to think of the story and the themes when thinking of whether he will die or not, not her quotes.

In all her quotes so far she has really given nothing of the story away. I do not think she would slip up on something as big as Harry’s death.

adam_the_ant June 30th, 2007 12:44 pm

I have a funny feeling that Harry will die, I don't want him to, but I think that it will be after he has destroyed all the Horcruxes, leaving Voldemort open to be killed someone else, hopefully this will be Snape so he can redeem himself.

Or Harry will defeat Voldemort, but then die anyway (the prophecy didn't say how much longer the victor would survive afterwards did it) because Snape turns out to be evil (even though I think he is good) and kills Harry.

Those are my possible theories, but we know Rowling, she'll probably bring something out of nowhere, that nobody was expecting.

Montse June 30th, 2007 1:22 pm

this is what my hubby says ,she wont kill Harry because they are opening a theme park ,who would go to the park if the hero it reminds you of is dead ,that would be soooooooooooo depresing ,so he says no and i say ...lets hope so.

Numenorian June 30th, 2007 1:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam_the_ant (Post 4599014)
I have a funny feeling that Harry will die, I don't want him to, but I think that it will be after he has destroyed all the Horcruxes, leaving Voldemort open to be killed someone else, hopefully this will be Snape so he can redeem himself.

Or Harry will defeat Voldemort, but then die anyway (the prophecy didn't say how much longer the victor would survive afterwards did it) because Snape turns out to be evil (even though I think he is good) and kills Harry.

Those are my possible theories, but we know Rowling, she'll probably bring something out of nowhere, that nobody was expecting.

Nice theory, but I can't stop believing Harry will live. I believe Harry is the seventh and last horcrux, but that doesn't says he has to die. Why else did Rowling created this creatures that can suck out a wizards soul; dementors?
That's my theory:tu: