Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101059)

Sku11 April 9th, 2007 10:36 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

Although I agree Harry might die theory I must contend that J.K Rowling inviting him to supper to say sorry about something need not be about killing him off, I mean Harry out of all the Hogwarts students has gone through tremendous pain and pyschological and physical suffering. She ( J.K) has taken away every single form of family Harry has ever know ie. His parents, his godfather Sirius and Dumbledore the other elder figure Harry looks for wisdom and comfort, Harry does have his 2 close friends but Dumbledore and Sirius where different to him. Either way J.k could kill him or not, from this point till the book gets released I think its going to be pure speculation, she has a knack for leaving clues for both sides of the argument

FaceofBoe April 9th, 2007 12:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annachie (Post 4442910)
The first chapter of the first book is titles "The boy who lived"
It would be poetic, I suppose, for the last chapter in the last book to be titled "The boy who died"

Alternatively, the last chapter could also be titled "The Boy Who Lived", which itself would be a nice parallel, to draw the series to a close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasfres (Post 4445050)
Now following this assumption i think we will see Harry die in a Christ-like sacrificial death followed by some sort of resurrection. No, Harry probably will not die on the cross or anything like that, but I would not be the least bit surprised if we see the ending of this book parallel the gospels.

It is possible. Certainly, some kind of self-sacrifice is inevitable on Harry's part, whether he actually dies or not. It's possible that in Harry's case, he takes Voldemort with him, but somehow finds a way back from the world beyond the Veil.

ID824 April 9th, 2007 2:58 pm

He has to. This will be the best possible ending to a tale as tragic as this one, and I will be disappointed if he doesn't. Voldemort may or may not die, but he will definitely be put at bay for another time, or turned back to Tom.

anabel April 9th, 2007 3:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sku11 (Post 4445214)
Although I agree Harry might die theory I must contend that J.K Rowling inviting him to supper to say sorry about something need not be about killing him off, I mean Harry out of all the Hogwarts students has gone through tremendous pain and pyschological and physical suffering. She ( J.K) has taken away every single form of family Harry has ever know ie. His parents, his godfather Sirius and Dumbledore the other elder figure Harry looks for wisdom and comfort, Harry does have his 2 close friends but Dumbledore and Sirius where different to him. Either way J.k could kill him or not, from this point till the book gets released I think its going to be pure speculation, she has a knack for leaving clues for both sides of the argument

I agree that Jo has plenty to apologize to Harry for, without having to kill him. I'm convinced he's going to survive, but that Jo keeps up the speculation deliberately to keep people interested. I just hope the media have enough respect for readers not to splash spoilers all over the papers next day with the two things non-fans seem to have picked up on: is Snape bad, and will Harry live!

fantastyfreak April 9th, 2007 5:43 pm

I think Harry Potter will end similarly to Pan's Labyrinth. When I saw the ending, it seemed to really reflect how I believe Harry Potter will end. BTW If I'm not mistaken, doesn't JK Rowling love Guillmero del Torro's works?

dreamy_eyes_xox April 9th, 2007 11:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindaluna (Post 4329463)
Will Harry Die?

:hmm: I hope want & pray NO. I hope he's the one JKR gave a reprieve to. :relax:

But I'm scared for Ron and Hermione. I can see them saying "you have to go through us first" and Voldie saying "OK" & blasting his way through.

Will Harry as we know him survive?
:no:

On a slightly different theoretical basis though, I can see Harry AS WE KNOW HIM not surviving.

Suppose...Harry, with a time turner, goes back and kills Voldie, or, as they do in hero land, "arranges for Voldemort to die...by the hand of another or by bizarre accident brought on by villian's own eviltude..."

This would change the time line, and Harry as we know him may disappear.

Unfortunately this would pave the way for a multitude of sequels.

If Harry dies, our window into Hogwarts & the magic world will close, and the series will be over.

We will long for the rest of our adult lives to return there.

Now that's a great end to a children's book series.

The End.

they destroyed all the timeturners in BOOK 5, so they cant go back in time

fairylights April 9th, 2007 11:49 pm

I've read a few theories here that predict a self-sacrifice death for Harry, as JK said something about her being a Christian affecting the story. My two cents though is that the death of Jesus was not the end of the story for Christianity, the rising from the dead was by far the more important part of the story. So dying a self-sacrificing death is quite possible for Harry, but I don't know how biblical it would be.

I was thinking though that if you want to get into biblical parallels, Dumbledore was betrayed by Snape, who was one of his own, and now Harry and the others are left with his work (destroying the Horcruxes) to carry out in the world. Just a thought.

But then again, if you consider that all Harry's family have passed on, for him it might feel like dying would be being born again in a better place.

sparkly April 10th, 2007 2:10 am

Quote:

i got this JKR quote off of the wikipedia site about her:

"I am Christian and this seems to offend the religious right far worse than if I said I thought there was no God. Every time I've been asked if I believe in God, I've said, 'yes,' because I do. But no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that and, I have to say that does suit me...If I talk too freely about that, I think the intelligent reader -- whether 10 or 60 -- will be able to guess what is coming in the books."

WOW, that sounds like a huge hint. What is the most important aspect about Christian canon? Christ's self-sacrifice (via death) to save the people of the world, and redeem them of their sins, followed by his resurrection.

Given JKR's quote that Christianity plays such a large role, I think it could be very feasible that Harry could take the role of a Christ like figure. The muggles had their savior 2000 years ago, and now the wizards are getting their own savior (bearing with the fact that Harry is not of holy descent).

Now following this assumption i think we will see Harry die in a Christ-like sacrificial death followed by some sort of resurrection. No, Harry probably will not die on the cross or anything like that, but I would not be the least bit surprised if we see the ending of this book parallel the gospels.

I really hope the series doesn't turn out this way. Very cliche, not to mention it would offend a large portion of the readers.

magicalmysteryg April 10th, 2007 2:16 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkly (Post 4446771)
I really hope the series doesn't turn out this way. Very cliche, not to mention it would offend a large portion of the readers.

i don't know if i'd exactly find it offensive, since she's an author and can do whatever she wants, but i think harry sacrifcing himself in a jesus-ish way would be stupid and a cop out. firstly, it'd be super unoriginal. not only has it been done before, but its been done before in the best know book in the world. i think JKR can think of something more creative and different. also, harry doesn't have to die for him to have lost something, he's already lost his parents, his mentor, and his godfather/father figure.

jacksparrow7 April 10th, 2007 2:18 am

no harry can not die!!! if he dies that would be bad bad bad!!!! cause it would be tragic for him to die!! voldemort needs to die but not harry! cause harry will kill voldemort cause he is cool like that!! yea HARRY ROX:rockon: !!!! VOLDEMORT DROOLS!!!:drool:

mfluderx April 10th, 2007 2:20 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicalmysteryg (Post 4446781)
i don't know if i'd exactly find it offensive, since she's an author and can do whatever she wants, but i think harry sacrifcing himself in a jesus-ish way would be stupid and a cop out. firstly, it'd be super unoriginal. not only has it been done before, but its been done before in the best know book in the world. i think JKR can think of something more creative and different. also, harry doesn't have to die for him to have lost something, he's already lost his parents, his mentor, and his godfather/father figure.

Would be stupid, Voldy has to die and Harry has lto live, but with a serious sacrifice(Ron or Hermione?)

sparkly April 10th, 2007 2:28 am

Quote:

That type of ending would be offensive to any readers who don't follow Christianity and I can't see JKR deliberately alienating so many people with a blatantly Christian ending. JKR hasn't shown Harry to be a jesus-type figure to this point, so it's unlikely she's going to change his character in the last book.

magicalmysteryg April 10th, 2007 2:31 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkly (Post 4446815)
That type of ending would be offensive to any readers who don't follow Christianity and I can't see JKR deliberately alienating so many people with a blatantly Christian ending. JKR hasn't shown Harry to be a jesus-type figure to this point, so it's unlikely she's going to change his character in the last book.

Not all. I am definitly not christian, and in fact am a fairly conservative jew. This wouldn't offend me, it would just dissapoint me and, as you said, alienate me.

Hedwig50 April 10th, 2007 2:39 am

Wouldn't that be something if:

Harry goes thru the vail with voldemort, they battle and Harry defeats him. The Order members and Ron and Hermione are in the circular room, when Harry walks back out from behind the vail. He tells them all, that it's over, everyone is chearing and smiling, then Harry says he has to go back. He can't stay in there world. He crossed over and must return. Says his goodbuys, says everyone that he loved and lost are there waiting for him.
He turns and walks thru the vail.
The end.

Megg001 April 10th, 2007 3:05 am

Here's my two cents:
"Neither can live while the other survives" seems to imply that one or the other will have to die. We know that Voldemort can "survive" without being "alive" so, my feelings are, that this is where Jo was careful about her wording. It seems to me that if Harry dies, either sacrifices himself for a friend or just dies in battle, then the series has a very good chance of ending with Voldemort basically taking over the whole wizarding world. I don't think, or at least I don't want to believe, that Jo would do this...so, if someone is going to die, it won't be Harry (in my opinion, of course!)

BurrowGhoul April 10th, 2007 3:44 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megg001 (Post 4446904)
Here's my two cents:
"Neither can live while the other survives" seems to imply that one or the other will have to die. We know that Voldemort can "survive" without being "alive" so, my feelings are, that this is where Jo was careful about her wording. It seems to me that if Harry dies, either sacrifices himself for a friend or just dies in battle, then the series has a very good chance of ending with Voldemort basically taking over the whole wizarding world. I don't think, or at least I don't want to believe, that Jo would do this...so, if someone is going to die, it won't be Harry (in my opinion, of course!)

Once Voldemort takes over the wizarding world, he will proceed to wipe out all of the muggles. If he even bothers to wait that long.

There is no way Jo can let Voldemort win the battle.

LikeLuna April 10th, 2007 4:05 am

Quote:

Nice quote (I've never seen that before!). I don't think this means Harry will die, however, and I DO NOT think that she constructed her books to "parallel the gospels". JKR has said that she did not write the books with particular morals or lessons in mind to "teach"readers, and making some kind of Harry-sacrifice too Jesus-like would be horribly obvious and would, in my opinion, lessen the effect of the entire series (since there aren't any glaringly obvious parallels to Biblical themes in the series thus far).

This quote could simply have been referring to the ultimate defeat of evil (or hope for life free from evil) that would come from Voldemort's (obviously eminent) downfall.

grumpy7 April 10th, 2007 10:04 am

I thought this some days ago. The right interpretation of the prophecy could be:
"Neither (nor Harry or Voldemort) can live, while the other (the other boy, the Not Chosen One, aka Neville) survives".
It isn't highly probable, I know. And I'm not sure it's correct in English. I'm Italian and the Italian version of the prophecy is:
"Nessuno dei due può vivere se l'altro sopravvive". I can re-translate the sentence this way: "Neither can live IF the other survives". But it isn't the same, is it? I mean, WHILE and IF aren't synonyms.
What do you think? Is my theory only a lot of junk? (I personally think it IS. Well, it's a theory of mine, but I've never said I believe it's true!)

MoonlightMagic April 10th, 2007 1:39 pm

I don't think she would dare kill of Harry.. However, it would prevent people from ragging on J.K. Rowling about writing an eighth book.
At this point, I have my idea on what's going to happen, but I highly doubt it's right ;).

Lillbet April 10th, 2007 2:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkly (Post 4446815)
JKR hasn't shown Harry to be a jesus-type figure to this point, so it's unlikely she's going to change his character in the last book.

One could argue differently but it's a stretch. From what little we know of Jesus' boyhood he was a bit of a mischief maker (ditching his folks on a family trip to Jerusalem to hang out with Temple scribes- that lil' imp!), but as I'm agnostic and that's not the topic of the thread, following this train of though is a little too OT even for me. :)

As for Harry's character changing, he already has- quite a bit in fact. In fact, I expect Harry will be a little less emotional and a little more settled in Book 7. He's been through a lot and come out the other end and that has got to show somewhere in his psychological/emotional makeup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy7 (Post 4447393)
I thought this some days ago. The right interpretation of the prophecy could be:
"Neither (nor Harry or Voldemort) can live, while the other (the other boy, the Not Chosen One, aka Neville) survives".
It isn't highly probable, I know. And I'm not sure it's correct in English. I'm Italian and the Italian version of the prophecy is:
"Nessuno dei due può vivere se l'altro sopravvive". I can re-translate the sentence this way: "Neither can live IF the other survives". But it isn't the same, is it? I mean, WHILE and IF aren't synonyms.
What do you think? Is my theory only a lot of junk? (I personally think it IS. Well, it's a theory of mine, but I've never said I believe it's true!)

Wow. Now there's an interesting theory. So basically you're saying that either Harry or Neville will buy it- very "Highlander," that. But where does that leave Voldemort? If survival boils down to Harry or Neville and there's no mention of Voldemort then is LV nullified as a threat?

And no, not a lot of junk at all. Personally I just need a little more clarification on your part and it's a theory I'm willing to entertain. :)

inkling7 April 10th, 2007 3:40 pm

As a 'born again pagan' I hope JK uses her imagination for the ending of her story while drawing from myths and legends which may not necessarily have christian overtones. That way no religious group can say that she was influenced by their creed. this should then satisfy most religous groups but unfortunately not all readers as some hope for his death while many hope for his future on earth.

shadow_gal April 10th, 2007 3:54 pm

I certainly hope not, however we have to think how J.K would think. Does she want to end the series like so many have beforee? The hero standing victorious as his enemy lies before him bloody and dead? Or would she go a new and interesting way, like Voldy dies but in a week or so Harry dies too? It would be a great ending! Harry would see how life is without the threat of someone coming at night to AK him. I would be saddened if it happened though, I mean we don't want him to die but if she goes the second route I'd understand, sure I'd bawl my little eyes out and hide in my room for a month like I did with (cough) but hey, it's a book and I'll move on. But yes I think he will die in the end.

inkling7 April 10th, 2007 4:27 pm

Then again how does JK define death? Physical or mental etc???? Then there is the talk of vanquishment in this prophecy... Also the fact that the prophecy is mostly relevant to the person it refers to Voldie who interprets the other person as Harry. Now to Voldie death is physical but in reality his death to him is more relevant as a mental state of being because he is being obsessive about his physical survival. In other words he is not looking at death the way Albus is/was as being the next great adventure. The point I'm trying to make is that there are (as Albus once said) worse things than death and this could apply to Voldie and Harry could vanquish him to this state where Volie dies mentally and not physically so both survive physically and hopefully Harry also survives mentally and goes on to lead a normal (wizarding0 life while Voldie doesn't but then he also doesn't die physically but can't ever do anymore harm to anyone. This means Harry won't have to commit physical murder which I'm sure will satisfy Albus, his parents, Sirius and a lot of other characters in the book as well as many readers.

Mads April 10th, 2007 4:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkling7 (Post 4447830)
Then again how does JK define death? Physical or mental etc???? Then there is the talk of vanquishment in this prophecy... Also the fact that the prophecy is mostly relevant to the person it refers to Voldie who interprets the other person as Harry. Now to Voldie death is physical but in reality his death to him is more relevant as a mental state of being because he is being obsessive about his physical survival. In other words he is not looking at death the way Albus is/was as being the next great adventure. The point I'm trying to make is that there are (as Albus once said) worse things than death and this could apply to Voldie and Harry could vanquish him to this state where Volie dies mentally and not physically so both survive physically and hopefully Harry also survives mentally and goes on to lead a normal (wizarding0 life while Voldie doesn't but then he also doesn't die physically but can't ever do anymore harm to anyone. This means Harry won't have to commit physical murder which I'm sure will satisfy Albus, his parents, Sirius and a lot of other characters in the book as well as many readers.

You make alot of sense...really, you do...but I've got to ask...if Voldie is physically alive then isn't he still in a position to kill and make more Horcruxes and thereby place himself in a position to become immortal again?

inkling7 April 10th, 2007 5:12 pm

Not if he has been vanquished into muggle-type mortallity.

Wouldn't it be divine justice to have to have him ending up as a cleaner of public lavatories for muggles in order to earn a living?
Voldie losing all his wizard powers and supporters and having to earn a living as muggle (and an ugly snake-featured one at that) and knowing he will die of old age - probably ridden with poor eyesight, poor hearing, arthritis, high blood pressure and having to watch his cholesterol - ie. having many of the problems most old aged people have to put up with- that would be a fitting punishment - even more so than dying by Harry's hand. This might make him more aware of his bigotted attitude towards muggles. I wouldn't have much sympathy for his plight I can assure you after all the pain and suffering he has caused. He would probably hate any pity from others anyway.

tennisFrEaKam April 10th, 2007 8:12 pm

yes harry's going to die in the 7th book! if he doesn't people will keep on bugging JKR to write an 8th book and 9th and 10th etc. etc. and so on.
it has to happen

annw April 10th, 2007 8:23 pm

I think that Harry will survive but Ginny will die protecting him and her love will give him protection to kill Voldemort. He will survive but with a permanent scar ( emotional as well as physical.)

Lord_Kaine April 10th, 2007 9:04 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by annw (Post 4448362)
I think that Harry will survive but Ginny will die protecting him and her love will give him protection to kill Voldemort. He will survive but with a permanent scar ( emotional as well as physical.)

I can see what you mean, but I think Harry is more possible to go than Ginny. This might sound harsh or cold or even downright foolish, but I think Harry will be more affected in the long run, if Ginny was to die and he would survive, something he has constantly been worrying about. I don't doubt that Ginny would grieve or rage if Harry met his demise, but she would have her family (and I cannot possibly see Harry going to get comfort from mrs Weasley after that her daughter died).

Suffice to say, Ginnys death would give Harry yet another scar, one I'm not sure he would be able to heal (but who knows).

ANSWERS April 10th, 2007 11:49 pm

Well see harry will die im sure of it. Ron Hermione or ginny will be threatend to be killed by voldemort. Then harry will protect them with the power of love he will sacrifice himself in order to save them. then the spell will be reversed and kill voldy because he has no horcruxes remaining. he did not die the night of the accident because of his horcruxes.

walkercase April 11th, 2007 12:01 am

I hope no one gets mad at me for this because what I'm stating is something that Jo has stated and not a fact from the books. I was looking on Jo's official site and noticed that when she updated it after finishing 'Deathly Hallows,' she states that book seven is "her favourite." Would it really be her favorite if Harry dies? Just a thought. :)

betSytrOtwOod April 11th, 2007 12:04 am

It's hard to say, I can't decide! I think there's a really good chance Harry isn't going to make it but then again I don't know how the book can possible end without him. I don't have any theories to support Harry living but I have my theories behind his death. Could JK do such a cruel thing though!?

YNWA April 11th, 2007 2:11 am

I really don't know if Harry will live or die. There are great points by both sides and I really can't decide on a sure prediction. Since I'm feeling optimistic right now, I'll just put in a tentative no for Harry dying.

Quote:

I can see what you mean, but I think Harry is more possible to go than Ginny. This might sound harsh or cold or even downright foolish, but I think Harry will be more affected in the long run, if Ginny was to die and he would survive, something he has constantly been worrying about. I don't doubt that Ginny would grieve or rage if Harry met his demise, but she would have her family (and I cannot possibly see Harry going to get comfort from mrs Weasley after that her daughter died).

Suffice to say, Ginnys death would give Harry yet another scar, one I'm not sure he would be able to heal (but who knows).
I agree that Harry is more likely to die than Ginny. If those two continue to further their feelings for each other, I see three outcomes:

1. Harry and Ginny both live; the Riding off into the Sunset and Happily Ever After Scenario
2. Harry and Ginny both die; Harry is dead but he will be with his parents, Godfather, mentor, and the love of his life
3. Harry dies but Ginny lives; Harry sacrifices himself so that his friends, family, and the wizarding world can live in peace.

I can't see Harry living if Ginny dies. The emotional and mental blow would be far too hard to handle.

Romilda_Vane April 11th, 2007 2:17 am

I think that Harry's choice will be: Die for this cause, or die wishing I had. There are, unfortunately, good arguments for live and die. I will be heartbroken if he does die, but here are my arguments:
If he dies, it will be a very, VERY dramatic closing to the series. Also, with this huge tradgedy, Jo will most likely make everything else go smoothly. Harry can't die in vain! Then again..."only one can live while the other survives." Does this mean Voldy would live on?
If Harry lives, then he will have had to kill Voldy. The war will be over, and all will be at peace. Period. Unfortunately...What other great characters will perish?

jacksparrow7 April 11th, 2007 3:27 am

no harry will not die! or else then it would be really really really bad! cause he rox and he must not die!!:no: :no: bye people :rockon: :relax: :drool: :p

juliet5368 April 11th, 2007 4:53 am

To be honest, and I am not sure if anyone has already given this theory (I didn't have the time to really go through all 37 pages of this thread), but I think that both Voldemort AND Harry are going to die.

I don't have any real evidence to back this up, but I just think she would throw that in there. If Voldemort dies, then the entire wizarding world, with the exception of the remaining supporters of Voldemort, will be rejoycing and the world will become a happy place once again. *rolls eyes* Now if Harry dies, then the entire wizarding world, once again with the exception of the remaining supporters of Voldemort, will be mouring.

So I think that by killing them both off, there will be both and it will make for one hell of an ending. But that is just my opinion.

Matthadias April 12th, 2007 7:05 pm

he will die:sad: because didnt jo say she couldnt imagine harry as an adult or it would ruin the plot, but i do not want harry to die

loris April 12th, 2007 7:21 pm

but hasn't jo said that harry will survive book 7 in the interview she did with Emerson and Melissa after HBP release??? Even if she afterwards said she changed her mind about the death of three (?) characters, I've always thought that it won't involve the most general plot and the end she has planned at the beginning...

YungWeasey April 12th, 2007 9:21 pm

Well, going by the prophecy, if Harry dies, then Voldemort lives. And if Voldemort dies, then Harry lives. Since this is a childrens book, i would assume the bad guy dies. JK Rowling probably made the prophecy so open like that to create suspense because after six books, fans could easily figure out the end.

LikeLuna April 12th, 2007 9:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loris (Post 4452707)
but hasn't jo said that harry will survive book 7 in the interview she did with Emerson and Melissa after HBP release???

No, she has never (at least publicly) said that Harry will live or die.

Quote:

It isn't highly probable, I know.

I agree with you that that's unlikely, but sure, I guess it's possible. Although since there is no comma between "live" and "while" in the actual prophecy, I think it's probably a bit too...complicated...to be true.

Quote:

And I'm not sure it's correct in English. I'm Italian and the Italian version of the prophecy is:

The way I think of the prophecy, "Neither can live if the other survives" has almost the same meaning - the only difference is that "while" implies "at the same time", which "if" does not do. (Did any of that make any sense?)

anabel April 12th, 2007 10:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthadias (Post 4452666)
he will die because didnt jo say she couldnt imagine harry as an adult or it would ruin the plot, but i do not want harry to die

When did she say that? :huh:

Reader April 12th, 2007 10:12 pm

Harry WILL probably die sometime in book 7. However, not necessarily in the battle with Voldemort. I"m betting on the Epilougue, old age, lots of kids, famous, rich, DIE. The end.
Yeah, but seriously, I think its unlikely that Harry will die in the final battle(Or after for that matter) Just becasue I think he really deserves to finally be done with it, and be able to go lead a semi-normal life without Voldemort. Its the least he deserves.

hagrids_wench April 12th, 2007 11:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkly (Post 4446771)

Quote:

I have to agree, although, I don't know if it is important to her that people not be offened by the series ending. I do think it would be cliche' and it would be a fairly common way to end what has been a very original series. I recently read the quote that these comments are based on also and I thought at the time *sigh* one more religious allegory. :grumble:
Not that there is anything wrong with allegory...religious or otherwise but it would be a shame to have such a wonderful run of books end in such a commonplace-done-before kind of way.
I spent 5 years picking apart textbooks and now I am rereading a series that I read originally for enjoyment and find I am picking it apart as though it were an homework assignment. It almost takes the fun out of it for me. I do hope it won't end on the level of a lesson the author felt I needed to learn.
Mindless enjoyment is a good thing too.:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthadias (Post 4452666)
he will die:sad: because didnt jo say she couldnt imagine harry as an adult or it would ruin the plot, but i do not want harry to die

Of course since she is not writing anymore books Harry won't ever get any older than he is at the end of book 7. He will be just one more boy in Neverland with Peter, Christopher Robin, and every other child of fiction that does not grow old in his book. So she doesn't have to picture Harry old all she has to do is not write him old.

loris April 13th, 2007 1:18 pm

well, I'm still sure Jo SOMEWHERE said that Harry will survive book7, a lot of time ago...

inkling7 April 13th, 2007 1:21 pm

Hagrids Wench I would be interested to know your thoughts after your picking it apart exercise on the books as I am too lazy to embark on such an expedition.
My thoughts are that Harry whether living or dying places him in a win-win situation because if he lives he will be those he loves at present but if he dies he will be with thosse he loved in the past (or at least wanted to love) making either situation bearable. However many want him to live and find present love....

loris April 13th, 2007 1:28 pm

Here's what Jo said on August 15th, 2004 at the Edimburgh Book Festival:

In your stories, will Harry Potter ever grow up as a wizard?

Well, I don’t think it is giving too much away to say that he will survive to book seven, mainly because I do not want to be strangled by you lot, but I am not going to say whether he grows any older than that because I have never said that. You are good at putting me on the spot!

Does this mean that Harry was going to survive at the end of book6 or book7???

BurrowGhoul April 13th, 2007 1:42 pm

It means he will at least survive through books 1-6, and still be alive at the start of book 7.

loris April 13th, 2007 1:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul (Post 4454260)
It means he will at least survive through books 1-6, and still be alive at the start of book 7.

ohhh... so my poor english has made me think for 3 years that there will be an happy end... But that's not true!!! I'm really sad now!!!

bane_magorian April 13th, 2007 1:50 pm

i think harry will probably survive... he is the "hero" after all..
he may become "the-man-who-survived"...:)

h_nafra April 13th, 2007 2:28 pm

hey if we are to agree that in DH it'll be clear that why some people who die come back as ghosts and why some don't it is quite possible that we get to find this out by experiencing what harry experiences ie he passes the death phase, is given the choice to coming back on earth as ghost or not and so on. Leastways we may only find this out AFTER Harry's death, meaning he does die in DH.
Dont want to believe it though. And you people dont start cursing me after this as it's just a theory.

BurrowGhoul April 13th, 2007 3:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loris (Post 4454266)
ohhh... so my poor english has made me think for 3 years that there will be an happy end... But that's not true!!! I'm really sad now!!!

Don't give up hope yet! All it means is that she's not telling the ending. He still might make it through!

ETA: I feel very bad that I took your hope away. Please don't feel that way! I think he will survive too.

anabel April 13th, 2007 10:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loris (Post 4454224)
well, I'm still sure Jo SOMEWHERE said that Harry will survive book7, a lot of time ago...

I remember her talking about life after Hogwarts as if Harry would have one ... then suddenly remembering and saying "if he survives, that is" or words to that effect!

Quote:

Originally Posted by loris (Post 4454266)

Don't worry! I'm sure he'll survive and we'll have our happy ending!

Draugroth April 13th, 2007 10:34 pm

I don't know. Dying would me the most realistic thing to occur but the fact is as much as I reality tells me Harry shoudl die, I don't want him to die. So I will take it no farther than that because I don't want to go mad trying to decide which I expect to happen.

hagrids_wench April 13th, 2007 11:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loris (Post 4454241)
Here's what Jo said on August 15th, 2004 at the Edimburgh Book Festival:

In your stories, will Harry Potter ever grow up as a wizard?

Well, I don’t think it is giving too much away to say that he will survive to book seven, mainly because I do not want to be strangled by you lot, but I am not going to say whether he grows any older than that because I have never said that. You are good at putting me on the spot!

Does this mean that Harry was going to survive at the end of book6 or book7???

Since JKR always said that she had planned 7 books couldn't this just mean that "duh" of course he is in book 7??? It doesn't mean that he starts off in the 7th and dies does it?

I feel like you Loris, kind of hopeless, I guess. I have actually had moments that I don't know if I am even going to read the last book. Bad enough it is the last of them. To think that she may kill Harry is too much I guess. Too many of these theories seem too probable and they are all unhappy ones. This thread is a depressing place.:no:

Ze_Grindylow April 14th, 2007 10:14 am

Foreshadowing end of DH in PS/SS?

First off, Sorry if this has been discussed.

I was reading PS/SS the other day, and noticed something I never noticed before,

Chapter 16, Page 191 British Hardback Edition

"In years to come, Harry would never quite remember how he managed to get through his exams when he half expected Voldemort to come bursting through the door at any moment."

Now it could be nothing but I read and reread this and the more you think about the more it seems to foreshadow the fact that Harry WILL live at the end of Book 7.

First of all, in books 2-6 theres been no mention of him remembering his first year exams, and why would there be? He's much too concerned with Voldemort at the moment to reminisce.

It struck me that thats the sort of subject him, ron and hermione would talk about in the future, when they've left school and Voldemort is dead, it sort of seems the kind of thing you would look back on laugh about with your nearest and dearest.

E.g.

Hermione: "Remember those exams in first year...I was really nervous."
Ron: "Yeah, me too."
Harry: "I remember being preoccupied thinking that Voldemort was going to burst through the door at any moment."

They all laugh.

Granted thats not the best example but you get my meaning, it seems like they would sit around, maybe over a butterbeer, discussing school days.

Just a thought.

Comments? Theories?

Picko April 14th, 2007 10:30 am

Re: Foreshadowing end of DH in PS/SS?

I think it can be viewed both way so it doesn't offer specific proof. Certainly if Harry was to die it would not be considered inconsistent with what you just quoted.

Primalchick April 14th, 2007 11:09 am

J.K Rowling said that there was a character she was going to kill off, but they were going to get a reprieve, I think she was talking about Harry. And I don't think that Harry will die, J.K's much too good with plots, she'll shock us with something original. And if he does die (I HOPE NOT!) She will make it good and he'll die trying!

grumpy7 April 14th, 2007 2:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4447688)

Wow. Now there's an interesting theory. So basically you're saying that either Harry or Neville will buy it- very "Highlander," that. But where does that leave Voldemort? If survival boils down to Harry or Neville and there's no mention of Voldemort then is LV nullified as a threat?

And no, not a lot of junk at all. Personally I just need a little more clarification on your part and it's a theory I'm willing to entertain. :)

In fact I meant this: Voldemort and Harry will both die, while Neville will survive. But, I repeat, it's just a (hardly) possible theory.
PLEASE, JO, PLEASE SPARE HARRY'S LIFE!
Do you think a "Let Harry live" petition would be of any use?

carib April 14th, 2007 5:55 pm

I don't think JKR could possibly let Harry die. My thoughts are based on the target audience rather than the story itself.

Although read by people of all ages the series is primarily written for children. JKR would have to bear in mind how children would feel if the person they had come to think of as a friend or even someone they aspired to be was killed.

Not to mention that it just isn't done to have the hero die when he has spent his life suffering and making sacrifices. An adult book could get away with it but not a kids book. I'm not sure I'd call it a moral lesson but it reinforces the idea that doing the right thing is best in the long run.

JKR is a Mother herself and I'm sure she will have taken this into account.

Ady April 14th, 2007 5:58 pm

I
dont
want
him
to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fairylights April 14th, 2007 6:32 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by carib (Post 4456730)
Although read by people of all ages the series is primarily written for children. JKR would have to bear in mind how children would feel if the person they had come to think of as a friend or even someone they aspired to be was killed.

Not to mention that it just isn't done to have the hero die when he has spent his life suffering and making sacrifices. An adult book could get away with it but not a kids book. I'm not sure I'd call it a moral lesson but it reinforces the idea that doing the right thing is best in the long run.

I tend to agree with you. I mean, Amazon.co.uk has DH in the ages 5-8 category. Can you imagine being that age, and Sirius has died and Dumbledore has died and then Harry too? I'm well past 5 and up, and I'm even considering not reading it, for fear of being utterly traumatized. The only thing I want Harry to die from is old age, only after having lots of kids with Ginny.

InsaneKira April 14th, 2007 6:34 pm

I think the 5-8 age rating is horribly wrong. There is just so much more to this book... It easily a teenager book as well, even adult book. It's gotten so much more mature and darker over the years.

fairylights April 14th, 2007 6:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsaneKira (Post 4456823)
I think the 5-8 age rating is horribly wrong. There is just so much more to this book... It easily a teenager book as well, even adult book. It's gotten so much more mature and darker over the years.

I know, I was really surprised. I suppose any kids who started out reading the Philosopher's Stone at age six have matured along with it, but POA was the last of the books that I'd have considered giving to a child of that age.

potatoesrock April 14th, 2007 6:54 pm

Quote:

Originally posted by grumpy7
I don't think so. JKR will write her own story the way she wants to, not the way her fans want to. Remember the whole 'H/Hr' thing? How some of the H/Hr fans thought that JKR went wrong in the writing of her story (see Emerson's Wall of Shame Special Edition). JKR knew that she would let some fans down by pairing Ron and Hermione, but that didn't stop her. She knew what her characters had been developed to do better than anybody, and she had developed the series in a way that brought Ron and Hermione together. So if Harry is meant to die, he will die, no matter what other people think she should do.

Which is exactly the way I think things should be.

I'd rather have Harry croak than Ron or Hermione. Sorry Harry, but they're just way cooler!:p

anabel April 14th, 2007 7:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy7 (Post 4456384)

In a word: no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsaneKira (Post 4456823)

Are all the books rated that way? I know a (bright) 10 year old who gave up on GoF because it was too dark for her, and I'd say 5 is too young anyway.

Spritey April 14th, 2007 9:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Primalchick (Post 4456150)
J.K Rowling said that there was a character she was going to kill off, but they were going to get a reprieve, I think she was talking about Harry. And I don't think that Harry will die, J.K's much too good with plots, she'll shock us with something original. And if he does die (I HOPE NOT!) She will make it good and he'll die trying!

I don't think she could give Harry a reprieve on a whim, just like she couldn't for Ron or Hermione. He's the main character - it would take an insane amount of reshuffling to bring everything back together again, since she'd already written (at least a draft copy of) the ending. Plus, it's a big choice to make in a series like this, and I think you'd have to stick to your guns if you'd planned it from the start.

TDawg_0016 April 17th, 2007 12:59 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritey (Post 4457099)
I don't think she could give Harry a reprieve on a whim, just like she couldn't for Ron or Hermione. He's the main character - it would take an insane amount of reshuffling to bring everything back together again, since she'd already written (at least a draft copy of) the ending. Plus, it's a big choice to make in a series like this, and I think you'd have to stick to your guns if you'd planned it from the start.

I agree, it was a major character, but she has had the series planned out for over 10 years, there is no reason to change Harry's fate at the end of everything. Harry is also involved in the ending of every book, and each ending is focused on the good in the world, centered on him:
  • SS:
    Quote:

"Oh, I will," said Harry, and they were surprised at the grin that was spreading over hi face. "They don't know we're not allowed to use magic at home, I'm goin to have alot of fun with Dudley this summer..."
    Harry is joyful, even with his return to the Dursleys' house.
  • CoS:
    Quote:

"Proud?" said Harry. "Are you crazy? All those times I could've died, and I didn't manage it? They'll be furious...." And together they walked back through the gateway to the Muggle World.
    Harry is once again joking and in a good mood as the book ends. They are together.
  • PoA:
    Quote:

And, grinning broadly at the look of horror on Uncle Vernon's face, Harry set off toward the station exit, Hedwig rattling along in front of him, for what looked like a much better summer than the last.
    Harry will once again be enjoying himself this summer, with an optimistic attitude.
  • GoF:
    Quote:

Harry winked at them, turned to Uncle vernon, and followed him silently from the station. There was no point in worrying yet, he told himself, as he got into the back of the Durseleys' car. As Hagrid had said, what would come, would come... and he would have to meet it when it did.
    He is not as optimistic, but is not worrying.
    Note: Harry had just given his gold to the Weasley twins, another contributor to a happy ending.
  • OotP:
    Quote:

Harry nodded. He somehow could not find words to tell them what it meant to him, to see them all ranged there, on his side. Instead he smiled, raised a hand in farewell, turned around, and led the way out of the station toward the sunlit street, with Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley hurrying along in his wake.
    Harry is now supremely confident, with his 'family' hurrying along 'in his wake'. His pride is expressed.
  • HBP:
    Quote:

His hand colsed automatically around the fake Horcrux, but in spite of everything, in spite of the dark and twisting path he saw stretching ahead for himself, in spite of the final meeting with Voldemort he knew would come, whether in a month, in a year, or in ten, he felt his heart lift at the thought that there was still one last golden day of peace left to enjoy with Ron and Hermoine.
    One last 'golden' day of peace. Once again, he is happy.

All of the books have ended in a happy way, a trend I believe will continue. Harry will most likely live, seeing as how his mood is also the focus of each ending. It seems that this pattern is going to continue. Since the book is from his point of view, except for a few random parts, he will most likely live. I will be happy with either death or life, since there are two different values that can be enforced.

jelly_legs April 17th, 2007 12:59 pm

Wow!!!! I actually never thought of the endings of the previous books like that!!!! I always thought Harry would live but now I believe it even more, if that's possible.:p You are right...It has always had a happy ending and why should it change now on the last book??

Lillbet April 17th, 2007 3:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDawg_0016 (Post 4461638)
All of the books have ended in a happy way, a trend I believe will continue. Harry will most likely live, seeing as how his mood is also the focus of each ending. It seems that this pattern is going to continue. Since the book is from his point of view, except for a few random parts, he will most likely live. I will be happy with either death or life, since there are two different values that can be enforced.

Nice! I like the way you replied with the final lines from each book.

I still think he might die at the end, since as you say she's had a plan for many years and won't be changing it now (Edit: and she did say she wouldn't kill Harry off before Book 7). She wrote the final chapter before she finished all the books, after all, so it's conceivable that it might not appear to jibe with the other endings. That's not to say it won't be a happy ending (just not for Harry) but since he will likely be the cause of whatever ending it is, you're right that the pattern will likely continue in focusing on him to the last- the final word is 'scar,' after all.

We shall see! :)

Thor_Doomhammer April 17th, 2007 8:13 pm

Could Harry's death at Voldemort's hand have been foreshadowed in Book 1?

On page 260 of SS, right after Harry has come back from the Forbidden Forest, he is discussing with Ron and Hermoine his experience. He is telling them about his discussions with the centaurs, in particular Firenze's arguement with Bane.

About halfway down the page, Harry says, "Bane thinks Firenze should have let Voldemort kill me....I suppose that's written in the stars as well."

What if the fact that Voldemort is supposed to kill Harry was indeed written in the stars? McGonagal says that divination is the most imprecise branch of magic, and it seems reasonable that even diviners such as centaurs could have mixed up what the stars were saying, getting the date of Harry's death wrong by 5 or 6 years. This would explain why Bane was so mad; he saw Harry's death at Voldemort's hand in the stars and believed that Firenze had just tampered with the willings of fate, when the stars really said that Voldemort would kill Harry in 5 or 6 more years.

Of course, this is not concrete, but since Rowling rarely gives us concrete evidence, I believe it is a plausible theory.

HP_girl91 April 17th, 2007 8:25 pm

I've been thinking really hard(no, I did not hurt my self!), and have thought of a very interesting theory. Supposing everyone that Voldemort killed don't really die, but end up in his wand? I find the basis of my theory in HPGOF at Prior Incantantem. Remeber when all the spirits of people Voldemort had killed came out? So the only way to free them would be to break Voldemort's wand, rendering him powerless. Although, I fear for Harry's life a lot. He's too nobale to do the unforgivable curses. I think that he could do it under pressure if he was given good reason to. Such as his friends. If they were in danger.

Another thought is if Harry does die, could Hermione and Ron go back in time using a time turner and save him? They would know exactly what to do because they'd already done it. Yes, I know that in OOTP all the time turners were broken, but what if Dumbledore always kept a spare. "Just in case" as he always put it. Please give me some feedback on what you think of this!

Thor_Doomhammer April 17th, 2007 9:03 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HP_girl91 (Post 4463043)
I've been thinking really hard(no, I did not hurt my self!), and have thought of a very interesting theory. Supposing everyone that Voldemort killed don't really die, but end up in his wand? I find the basis of my theory in HPGOF at Prior Incantantem. Remeber when all the spirits of people Voldemort had killed came out? So the only way to free them would be to break Voldemort's wand, rendering him powerless. Although, I fear for Harry's life a lot. He's too nobale to do the unforgivable curses. I think that he could do it under pressure if he was given good reason to. Such as his friends. If they were in danger.

I really think this is an interesting thought. So are you saying that instead of passing into whatever spirit world there is in the Harry potter world that the people he kills are sent into his wand?

Eugenides April 18th, 2007 12:48 am

I think it is a very good possibility that Harry will die at the end of Deathly Hallows. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that it will be "Avada Kedavra", the end. But it would make a very good emotional ending to the series, establishing Harry as a tragic hero. Although I'm sure all of us would like Harry and Ginny to live happily ever after (except maybe Dean), if in killing Voldemort Harry were to die, the series would end up having a profound message-that sometimes it is necessary to make the ultimate sacrifice in order to protect those we love.
Here's another thing, and I just thought of this as I was typing: Didn't Dumbledore die to protect Harry, just as his mother did? Wouldn't this give Harry an extra layer of protection, and possibly be the factor that keeps him from dying in the last book?

legilimency April 18th, 2007 1:44 pm

I also like how you pulled the ending of each book in for comparison. My thoughts on this last quote are opposite of yours though. "one last golden day" to me refers to the end. In all the other endings JKR never referenced and ending and certainly not "one last". I am very sad about it but I really think Harry will die. I am not comfortable with it, but perhaps it will grow on me over time so that when the book finally comes out it wont be such a shock if it does end that way. And, If he doesnt die the ending will be that much sweeter.

LJB85 April 19th, 2007 3:58 am

What if time travelling occurs in the ending? Maybe Harry lives but he lives again. He becomes "the boy who lived" once again...

I don't believe my idea, but here it is:

Harry gets most of his childhood back, except his parents will still have been murderd by you-know-who. Some other wizarding family will take him instead of the horrible Dursleys (maybe the Weasleys). Voldemort will be vanquished in this new time.
....when Harry goes back to the time where Voldemort's demise was in 1981...it will somehow be impossible for the Dark Lord to rise like he did in the graveyard. The time in the place where Harry goes back to, is still in effect. Meaning it's not like Voldemort was never born. Nor is it like all of what happened to Harry never occurred. Harry Potter will still have memories "as if from another lifetime" of when he defeated Voldemort in his other childhood. But he will become an infant again in this idea.

So in the end, 17-18 yr. old Harry travels back in time differently than the time-turner already in canon (don't ask me how)....becomes a baby again...and the last word is scar because the new baby harry won't have it anymore. I don't know...it's just a crazy idea and I know there is plenty of evidence that it's not true. But if somewhat right...wow! I wouldn't like this though....there will be fanfics on Harry's "new" childhood...

Whatever...the real ending I expect it to be complicated.....

Eugenides April 19th, 2007 4:39 am

nice idea, but i think a bit too rosy for JK to end with.

secretkeeper007 April 19th, 2007 4:46 am

I think this is a good idea, but Jo would've introduced the time-turner object alreadyin the series i think. I also think Jo would make the ending less confusing. I like the idea that Harry gets a childhood with the Weasleys but I like the beginning as it is now.

LJB85 April 19th, 2007 4:57 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by secretkeeper007 (Post 4466248)
I think this is a good idea, but Jo would've introduced the time-turner object alreadyin the series i think. I also think Jo would make the ending less confusing. I like the idea that Harry gets a childhood with the Weasleys but I like the beginning as it is now.

yeah...I know. I'm not a fan of my theory, but it unnerved when I thought of it while waiting for a bus.

There is another time-turner object very similar to what I'm proposing. That is the bell-jar in the Department of Mysteries. I was going to mention it in my previous post. So, this theory would be using similar magic to the bell jar because Harry would revert back to a baby again...and would grow back into adulthoood, just like the egg that kept hatching, growing up into a hummingbird, and dieing and being born.

The beginning as it is now, would not make sense with this theory. JK would have to explain how these two different planes of existence can exist. One where Harry defeated Voldemort and the other in his new life where there is no longer a prophecy on him to fulfill....because it already was.

the time travel does not have to be done through an object necessarily. Jo might have some other idea that is more abstract. Maybe employing magic like the bell-jar.

Nerrasoul April 19th, 2007 5:06 pm

For a long time I was sure that Harry himself was a horcrux and would have to die as a sacrifice for everyone else. However there have been many factors that have changed my mind.

1. JK has made it clear she doesn't want Harry portrayed as a 'Christ' figure. Killing yourself in order to allow a new start for the rest of the wizarding population seems a little too close to call on.

2. Voldemort has spent the majority of is time attempting to kill and/or destroy Harry. If Harry were a Horcrux wouldn't Voldy be a bit more careful about where he is sticking his wand, if you know what I mean...

3. The majority of arguments that say Harry is going to be killed off are backed up by JK saying she doesn't want sequels or prequels. JK has enough power to put up a legal firewall type system that can stop any aspiring writers from taking over. Surely she doesnt have to kill Harry to close it off?

Padfoot_Prongs April 19th, 2007 6:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerrasoul (Post 4466956)

3. The majority of arguments that say Harry is going to be killed off are backed up by JK saying she doesn't want sequels or prequels. JK has enough power to put up a legal firewall type system that can stop any aspiring writers from taking over. Surely she doesnt have to kill Harry to close it off?

I definately agree with you. Just because the series is coming to an end does NOT mean that Harry has to die. Even if she wanted to prevent other people from writing sequels/prequels etc., she can definately copyright the material so that no one can.

I get incredibly angry when people use the "well it's the last book" excuse. Where does the support for this rationaliztion come from? Some authors choose to kill off their main characters to make a point. I don't see JKR as one of those authors. Killing Harry would be destroying what the whole series has stood for, and there is just no way JKR would let that happen.

MandyReign April 19th, 2007 7:45 pm

Although it would definately end the series (no chance for sequels without the main character) I don't think JKR will kill Harry.

inufan625 April 19th, 2007 10:27 pm

There is nothing I can say that hasn't been said before, but here is my opinion.

I believe Harry will live, and I'll go so far as to prove myself a crazy fangirl by saying that I plan on reading the end at the store before buying it and if he dies I won't be buying it. First, because I think it's a cop. Second, if I don't read the whole thing then it won't be as hard to pretend it didn't happen when I read fan-fiction. Lastly, I will be able to find out everything that happen on the internet rather than spend money on a book that I won't enjoy finishing. Should Harry be alive then I won't consider myself spoiled in the least, since it's the journey that's important.

That said and to stay on topic, here is why I don't think Harry is going to die, starting with debunking reasons he has to.

1. The 'so there can be no sequels if he dies' reason doesn't hold water. I can't count the number of fics I've seen where Harry dies only to be 'magically' brought back to life. When you are writing a series in a world of magic there are always ways around death. Even if JKR says dead means dead that doesn't mean someone trying to pick up her story would feel the same or respect that. Let's face it, if you steal someone else's work and try to make it your own, you are pretty short on respect to begin with.

2. JKR has made the afterlife a real and appealing place for Harry, what with having his family plus Dumbledore and Sirius waiting for him there to welcome him, and he doesn't fear death, ect... This one is probably the biggest problem for me. I see a huge difference between not fearing death and wanting to die. JKR couldn't let Harry fear death, lest he be just like Voldermort, so in turn she had to set up the afterlife as a place Harry wouldn't be afraid of. She gave her hero concrete proof that when his time comes his family will be there waiting to welcome him. More importantly though is that they will be waiting for him as long as it takes(they're dead- they don't have anywhere else to be), so there is no reason for him to check out without really getting to live first. His parents wouldn't want that for him, especially right after the threat to his life was removed and he would finally really be allowed to live.

3. JKR wants to show the importance/ beauty of sacrifice and Harry will be a tragic hero, ect... Isn't this what she did with Lily? We don't have to have Harry sacrifice his life to know that it can be an expression of the deepest love. That he is willing to should be enough and I believe that it is enough. And in my mind Harry already is a tragic hero. He has suffered and lost and suffered some more, and yet he hasn't given up. Yes, he's had his moments, but he's still out there determined to fight the good fight no matter the cost to himself. Let;s give the kid a break already.

4. Harry is a horocrux (accidental or not) so he has to die to finish off Voldemort. First let me say I don't think he is one, but if I did, I still wouldn't think he had to die. If Harry is one, then he would have to die before Voldemort because canon leads us to believe that the bit in Voldemort has to be destroyed last or else he can come back because of the anchor the remaining bit would provide. So how is Harry supposed to kill Voldemort like the prophesy says he must, if he is already dead? Also I don't believe Harry would have to die to destroy the soul bit in him, is this was the case. The diary was damaged to destroy the soul, but it still existed after and the same was true for the ring. I would go so far to say that if Nagini is a horocrux, there would be a way to remove the soul piece without killing her, only it is easier just to kill a giant poisonous snake and what needs to be done anyway.

Now, why I think he will live.

1. JKR has set up a life for him after Voldemort. It's no secret that I am all for OBHWF. It gives Harry a living family to be a part of and a way to start his own.

2. I don't think killing Harry sends the right message. What is JKR trying to say? You were made an orphan as an infant, mistreated/abused as a child, only to find you are a wizard, but there's a catch, the crazed madman who murdered your parents is trying to come back and kill you and all over something you have no choice about and there is nothing you can do but lay down and die or kill him, so sorry that no matter how hard you fight, how much good you do, or how much you've overcome to be a good person, you don't get to ever really live. Where is the beauty in that, the hope, the good triumphing over evil? Personally, I don't see it, but that's just me.

TDawg_0016 April 19th, 2007 11:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by legilimency (Post 4464575)
I also like how you pulled the ending of each book in for comparison. My thoughts on this last quote are opposite of yours though. "one last golden day" to me refers to the end. In all the other endings JKR never referenced and ending and certainly not "one last". I am very sad about it but I really think Harry will die. I am not comfortable with it, but perhaps it will grow on me over time so that when the book finally comes out it wont be such a shock if it does end that way. And, If he doesnt die the ending will be that much sweeter.

I def. thought of that when reading the ending again, but it just seemed to me that this quote was signifying a mindset of Harry, one of determination. One that was more like "I'm ready for this and we're gonna win", not like "o, darn, here we go again." Almost like "the war is officially 'on', cause you just killed DD." I'm not sure though... Another factor for me was the fact that most of us forsee an ending where the evil is vanquished, and the world, with or without Harry, will be semi-peaceful. If she was referring to the end, and no more peace, and not just to the immediate future, then I think she would've found another way to say it.

We will see though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyReign (Post 4467177)
Although it would definately end the series (no chance for sequels without the main character) I don't think JKR will kill Harry.

Yes, having written the ending many, many years ago, I don't think Jo foresaw the series becoming quite this popular, and so the whole sequiel thing wouldve had no effect on her ending.

I'm just gonna say this, I love these forums, theres not many books out there that you can just jump into a conversation about online. I hope they stay open, even after DH has been out for awhile.

sweet1gurl April 19th, 2007 11:19 pm

why jk rowling kill off her main character??? i dont think harry will die

TDawg_0016 April 19th, 2007 11:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweet1gurl (Post 4467541)
why jk rowling kill off her main character??? i dont think harry will die

There are plenty of reasons, as were mentioned on the previous page... I don't think she will, but I would be fine if she did, because it has been a great series, and Jo owes it to herself and to us to finish it how she originally planned to.

Cherub April 19th, 2007 11:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairylights (Post 4456817)
I tend to agree with you. I mean, Amazon.co.uk has DH in the ages 5-8 category. Can you imagine being that age, and Sirius has died and Dumbledore has died and then Harry too? I'm well past 5 and up, and I'm even considering not reading it, for fear of being utterly traumatized. The only thing I want Harry to die from is old age, only after having lots of kids with Ginny.

I'm guessing the people at Amazon haven't read any of the other books if they're going to put the age range of 5-8 on it. The books contain swearing and I guess you could say adult themes (well, mentions os snogging).

I don't think JK will kill Harry off, after seven books to have our hero die at the end? It'd almost make the whole thing pointless, if that makes sense.

AL_Patterson April 19th, 2007 11:51 pm

There's also plenty of reasons why she wouldn't kill off her main character.

TDawg_0016 April 19th, 2007 11:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherub (Post 4467591)
I'm guessing the people at Amazon haven't read any of the other books if they're going to put the age range of 5-8 on it. The books contain swearing and I guess you could say adult themes (well, mentions os snogging).

I don't think JK will kill Harry off, after seven books to have our hero die at the end? It'd almost make the whole thing pointless, if that makes sense.

About the amazon.com thing, I think it is simply the vocabulary used, sure some names and magical topics have big names, but the everyday conversation and everything is at that level. The themes though, as you say, are definitely not at that level.

There are plenty of reasons.... see the quote on the previous page by inufan625, covers most of the theories.

AdamGarnett April 20th, 2007 3:53 am

theres way too many posts to read them all and i dont know if anyone has touched on this reason for why harry will indeed die so i will...
it comes down to trelawney... constantly she is making revelations that come true if you look through the books.. in book 3 about the grim, the great dog in harrys future...several in book 4, but how about her saying (and forgive me for not putting the page number up here) but how death was drawing nearer, foretelling cedrics death, then of course to the most recent book about her predictions regarding the tragedy on the north tower, dumbledores death...
there is plenty of her predictions that come true throughout the series and jk seems to put some importance on trelawney, or else why would all these instances with her even be in the books? that being said there are many predictions from her regarding harrys death, and once again her predictions will be right..

LeanneJO April 20th, 2007 1:47 pm

Yeah but she has only made 2 'real' predictions in her life. From what we've heard McGonagall say, she has predicted the death of a student each year and none of them have dropped dead.

I don't think Harry will die in the book 7 main time line but he may be dead by the end of the book if they go into an epilogue and he died later in life. That wouldn't be so bad for me.

legilimency April 20th, 2007 2:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeanneJO (Post 4468351)
Yeah but she has only made 2 'real' predictions in her life. From what we've heard McGonagall say, she has predicted the death of a student each year and none of them have dropped dead.

I don't think Harry will die in the book 7 main time line but he may be dead by the end of the book if they go into an epilogue and he died later in life. That wouldn't be so bad for me.

See, now I like this idea alot! I don't want Harry to die, especially not at the hands of LV or even in order for LV to die, but if JKR must kill him off I like the idea of doing it in the epilogue. This way we can imagine him having a long happy life with a family and then dying from old age. Okay, maybe too much to ask...but I can still hold out hope. Good post!:tu:

Ladylink April 20th, 2007 7:10 pm

I just want to say that the great literary scholar that JKR is, she has supplied us with many hints and clues as to her finale. I believe our greatest foreshadowing comes from Dumbledore. His life as we know it was a great and glorious life, awfully troubling though it may have been. We know at some point he suffered terribly (as revealed by the effects of the potion in HBP) and that he fought and defeated the greatest dark wizard up to that time. He defeated him, and lived on to tell his tale and teach others his wisdom. I think we would be awfully ignorant if we could not see the obvious parallels between Dumbledore's early life and Harry's. If we look to this, Dumbledore's story of bravado and wisdom and strength we can see Harry's future. I firmly believe that Harry will come out on top and will be there to impart his wisdom on the younger generation, to help them conquor evil should it ever rise again. Harry is destined for more than one battle, I think his life is arranged to be an unending battle against all evil. In this way, he cannot die for with the defeat of Voldemort, his battle, his life quest, will have just begun.

Megg001 April 21st, 2007 4:36 am

[quote]
Quote:

QUOTE]

Wow...I never thought of this, and I think its a really good line of reasoning. Even if it doesn't mean Neville, there might be an "other" that we haven't thought of yet. Its a very spinx-like twist to the riddle that I think Jo might just throw in...especially since she's always said she was careful about the wording!

Metamorphose April 21st, 2007 1:42 pm

I don't know if this has been said, but if it has, I'm sorry.

I don't think Harry will die simply because Professor Trelawney says that he will. Whenever the Divination teacher is mentioned, so is her undying faith to the fact that she thinks that Harry will die. I, for one, know that Trelawney is a loony when she isn't in one of her trances. If I'm correct, she doesn't say that Harry will die in any of the trances that we have seen. According to the "Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Myseries of Harry Potter" by Galadriel Waters, when JK Rowling reinforces something, she means it. I like to call this technique Rowling Repetition. I've learned that, other than during a trance, Trelawney is a loony. I will be worried if she stops worrying about his lifespan.

inkling7 April 21st, 2007 4:16 pm

I also think Trelawney is somewhat a light relief to the story but with occaisional overtones of seriousness thrown in.

That said we really need to know if the books were intended all along for children or if Jo altered her plotline to grow in age with her main characters.

Perhaps she will make the ending bittersweet with the death of either Ginny, Hermione or Ron. I often wonder who her husband was tallking about when he apparently said of someone she killied off in the story 'not that one'. Was this character one of the ones she killed off in exchange for someone else to live - I wonder.....

flimseycauldron April 21st, 2007 9:32 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by inufan625 (Post 4467467)
1. The 'so there can be no sequels if he dies' reason doesn't hold water. I can't count the number of fics I've seen where Harry dies only to be 'magically' brought back to life. When you are writing a series in a world of magic there are always ways around death. Even if JKR says dead means dead that doesn't mean someone trying to pick up her story would feel the same or respect that. Let's face it, if you steal someone else's work and try to make it your own, you are pretty short on respect to begin with.

:love:

Quote:

2. JKR has made the afterlife a real and appealing place for Harry, what with having his family plus Dumbledore and Sirius waiting for him there to welcome him, and he doesn't fear death, ect... This one is probably the biggest problem for me. I see a huge difference between not fearing death and wanting to die. JKR couldn't let Harry fear death, lest he be just like Voldermort, so in turn she had to set up the afterlife as a place Harry wouldn't be afraid of. She gave her hero concrete proof that when his time comes his family will be there waiting to welcome him. More importantly though is that they will be waiting for him as long as it takes(they're dead- they don't have anywhere else to be), so there is no reason for him to check out without really getting to live first. His parents wouldn't want that for him, especially right after the threat to his life was removed and he would finally really be allowed to live.
:love: :love:

Quote:

3. JKR wants to show the importance/ beauty of sacrifice and Harry will be a tragic hero, ect... Isn't this what she did with Lily? We don't have to have Harry sacrifice his life to know that it can be an expression of the deepest love. That he is willing to should be enough and I believe that it is enough. And in my mind Harry already is a tragic hero. He has suffered and lost and suffered some more, and yet he hasn't given up. Yes, he's had his moments, but he's still out there determined to fight the good fight no matter the cost to himself. Let;s give the kid a break already.
:love: :love: :love:

Quote:

4. Harry is a horocrux (accidental or not) so he has to die to finish off Voldemort. First let me say I don't think he is one, but if I did, I still wouldn't think he had to die. If Harry is one, then he would have to die before Voldemort because canon leads us to believe that the bit in Voldemort has to be destroyed last or else he can come back because of the anchor the remaining bit would provide. So how is Harry supposed to kill Voldemort like the prophesy says he must, if he is already dead? Also I don't believe Harry would have to die to destroy the soul bit in him, is this was the case. The diary was damaged to destroy the soul, but it still existed after and the same was true for the ring. I would go so far to say that if Nagini is a horocrux, there would be a way to remove the soul piece without killing her, only it is easier just to kill a giant poisonous snake and what needs to be done anyway.
:love: :love: :love: :love:
Quote:

1. JKR has set up a life for him after Voldemort. It's no secret that I am all for OBHWF. It gives Harry a living family to be a part of and a way to start his own.

2. I don't think killing Harry sends the right message. What is JKR trying to say? You were made an orphan as an infant, mistreated/abused as a child, only to find you are a wizard, but there's a catch, the crazed madman who murdered your parents is trying to come back and kill you and all over something you have no choice about and there is nothing you can do but lay down and die or kill him, so sorry that no matter how hard you fight, how much good you do, or how much you've overcome to be a good person, you don't get to ever really live. Where is the beauty in that, the hope, the good triumphing over evil? Personally, I don't see it, but that's just me.
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

In other words...yeah. What she said!

LikeLuna April 22nd, 2007 4:28 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkling7 (Post 4470186)
I often wonder who her husband was tallking about when he apparently said of someone she killied off in the story 'not that one'. Was this character one of the ones she killed off in exchange for someone else to live - I wonder.....

I'm pretty sure this was Dumbledore, while she was still writing HBP.

I completely agree with inufan625. :) Harry doesn't need to die.

inkling7 April 22nd, 2007 5:32 am

I think this happened after HBP and while writing the last book as I only read about it last year and HBP was already out. No I'm Quie sure it is a character in DH and perhaps it's Hagrid? I doubt it would have been Harry as I think his fate whether alive or dead had already been sealed by Jo long before this.

PotionA April 22nd, 2007 8:28 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by inufan625 (Post 4467467)
There is nothing I can say that hasn't been said before, but here is my opinion.

I believe Harry will live, and I'll go so far as to prove myself a crazy fangirl by saying that I plan on reading the end at the store before buying it and if he dies I won't be buying it. First, because I think it's a cop. Second, if I don't read the whole thing then it won't be as hard to pretend it didn't happen when I read fan-fiction. Lastly, I will be able to find out everything that happen on the internet rather than spend money on a book that I won't enjoy finishing. Should Harry be alive then I won't consider myself spoiled in the least, since it's the journey that's important.

That said and to stay on topic, here is why I don't think Harry is going to die, starting with debunking reasons he has to.

Now, why I think he will live.

Completely agree and very nicely put! Harry's sole purpose in life was not to suffer one terrible fate after another. His mother's sacrifice, his father, Sirius and Dumbledore's deaths would be in vain if he meets his end whilst vanquishing Voldemort because the pupose of their deaths was for Harry to live a long and healthy life, something that any parent, guardian and people who care would do. Their deaths would be devoid of meaning if Harry died in the hands of the very person who has been wanting to kill him ever since he was an infant. The depth and the message of the story would be lost if anything like that happens.

carterchas April 22nd, 2007 10:36 am

NO,
but I think his victory will be tragic.
Ginny and Harry's relationship was only starting to develope at
the end of HBP. We know that Voldemort would use Harry's loved
ones against him.
In the final battle, I would expect that Harry would be on the verge
of being killed when Ginny interferes, being killed as a result. Harry's anger
would then allow him to kill Voldemort.
In OOTP, during the battle at the ministry, Beletrix Lestrange tells Harry that
for an unforgivable curse to work, you really have to mean it.
It is not enough that Har ry is battling the Dark One, but that he truely must be prepared to kill him.

Metamorphose April 22nd, 2007 12:30 pm

I don't think that Harry would die in a noble way to make sure that the world would be a better place (ie. If he's a Horcrux). That would link him too closely to Jesus dying for our sins, and I don't think that JK Rowling is trying to put that message across. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the story.