Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Television (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Fans of British television shows... (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=122085)

Fawkesfan1 August 4th, 2009 12:43 am

Fans of British television shows...

I did a search for a topic like this one... and I couldn't find one :whistle:... so for any of you fans of british shows like... 'A Touch of Frost', 'As Time Goes By' ( which is having a reunion soon -- on PBS... sometime this August -- the 13th if I remember correctly... woot!! :clap: ), 'Rumple of the Bailey'... etc...

I'm a fan of 'A Touch of Frost', 'As Time Goes By', 'Rumpole of the Bailey', 'Inspector Morse' and more myself. A whole mix of different shows :D.

What are your faves and why?

What draws you into them?

IenjoyAcidPops August 4th, 2009 4:41 am

Re: Fans of British television shows...

"Doctor Who" (classic and modern), "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" "The Office," and "Extras" are my personal favorites, and I'm about to start watching the "Who" spin-off "Torchwood," so perhaps that'll make the list as well.

SummerCohen August 4th, 2009 2:37 pm

My favorites are Doctor Who (David Tennant is my doctor, too bad he's leaving :( ), Merlin and Skins. I alos like the Doctor Who spin offs like Torchwood and even Sarah Jane adventures (even if it's for kids ^^)

Schlubalybub August 4th, 2009 4:59 pm

as a Brit I advise people to try Jeeves and Wooster

Fawkesfan1 August 4th, 2009 6:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlubalybub (Post 5382854)

I've watched that show before :). It was pretty dang funny. I haven't been able to find any new episodes on dvd though dang it :sigh:...

NumberEight August 4th, 2009 6:29 pm

I like Spaced, Spooks, Coupling, The Inbetweeners, Gavin & Stacey, Psychoville, and the miniseries Jekyll.

Schlubalybub August 4th, 2009 6:31 pm

Spaced is awesome! (it's in my signature :) )
If you like Spaced, you'll like Black Books

And Psychoville- if you like that, try the League of Gentlemen

NumberEight August 4th, 2009 6:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlubalybub (Post 5382945)
And Psychoville- if you like that, try the League of Gentlemen

I tried League of Gentlemen. I didn't finish the first episode on Netflix because of the laugh track.

Schlubalybub August 4th, 2009 6:40 pm

I did have trouble with that to begin with, but bear with it- it's worth it!

Desraelda August 4th, 2009 8:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlubalybub (Post 5382854)

Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. It doesn't get any better than that. They also did A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie. Stephen Fry does a show called QI. Wonderful.

Whose Line (def the Brit version). I love Tony Slattery from Whose Line who is on "Kingdom" with Stephen Fry. James and Oliver appeared in one episode. Boy was I surprised at that. I haven't checked for new episodes, because the last one was kind of a cliff-hanger. The first season is out on DVD, but it's a bit pricey.

Fawlty Towers with John Cleese is classic. Black Adder with Rowan Atkinson. The Fall and Rise of Reggie Perrin with Leonard Rossiter (also in Rising Damp).

Then the mini-series. Barchester Chronicles (Alan Rickman), The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Keith Michel), I Claudius (Derek Jacobi) and so many, many more ... Upstairs, Downstairs, The Forsyte Sage ... somebody stop me.

Fawkesfan1 August 4th, 2009 8:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desraelda (Post 5383053)
Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. It doesn't get any better than that. They also did A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie. Stephen Fry does a show called QI. Wonderful.

Whose Line (def the Brit version). I love Tony Slattery from Whose Line who is on "Kingdom" with Stephen Fry. James and Oliver appeared in one episode. Boy was I surprised at that. I haven't checked for new episodes, because the last one was kind of a cliff-hanger. The first season is out on DVD, but it's a bit pricey.

Fawlty Towers with John Cleese is classic. Black Adder with Rowan Atkinson. The Fall and Rise of Reggie Perrin with Leonard Rossiter (also in Rising Damp).

Then the mini-series. Barchester Chronicles (Alan Rickman), The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Keith Michel), I Claudius (Derek Jacobi) and so many, many more ... Upstairs, Downstairs, The Forsyte Sage ... somebody stop me.

I saw an episode of A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie awhile back and I laughed my butt off. It was really random and really funny :rotfl:. I loved it... and I wish that I could find more episodes of it on dvd since it's so good.

Schlubalybub August 4th, 2009 8:42 pm

A Bit of Fry and Laurie is awesome

Check out Hugh Laurie's song "Mystery" which was featured on the show. It's hilarious

Navalina August 4th, 2009 9:11 pm

Fry & Laurie is indeed amazing! Anything Stephen Fry does is genius, I'm seriously in love with that man. My favourite English show is Black Books, Dylan Moran is amazing. The IT Crowd is another favourite. There are so many great series really.. The Young Ones, Blackadder (especially the 4th series), Absolutely Fabulous, Coupling, .. The list goes on and on.

madbouthp August 4th, 2009 9:20 pm

Vicar of Dibley and Only Fools and Horses

I would defiantly recommend watching these... Very, very funny

Desraelda August 4th, 2009 10:17 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navalina (Post 5383124)
Fry & Laurie is indeed amazing! Anything Stephen Fry does is genius, I'm seriously in love with that man. My favourite English show is Black Books, Dylan Moran is amazing. The IT Crowd is another favourite. There are so many great series really.. The Young Ones, Blackadder (especially the 4th series), Absolutely Fabulous, Coupling, .. The list goes on and on.

Oh, I forgot Ab/Fab. Love those two.

I feel the same way about Stephen Fry. Sometimes I follow him on Twitter. I wish I could have heard his version of the Potter audio books.

Schlubalybub August 5th, 2009 1:42 pm

Stephen Fry is a genuine legend!

And on that note, I recommend above all other TV shows the genius that is QI

NumberEight August 5th, 2009 2:51 pm

I completely forgot about Top Gear, though the series that just ended was not very good at all.

Hysteria August 5th, 2009 6:01 pm

Besides animated shows, almost all of my favourite TV shows come from Britain. Coupling, Top Gear (even though I know nothing about cars), Black Books, The Vicar of Dibley, Absolutely Fabulous, Blackadder, Skins and my personal guilty favourite, anything with Gordon Ramsay in it :D

Yoana August 5th, 2009 7:45 pm

I adore Blackadder!! :love: And 'Allo 'Allo! They're in my top 3 most favourite TV shows of all times.

mac_attack August 5th, 2009 11:37 pm

Doctor Who and A Bit of Fry and Laurie are my favorites :love: I, uh...i discovered Fry and Laurie on my dad's ipod while i was at work. No one could figure out what i was giggling about. :blush::blush: