Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=95375)

ToriPains102 February 13th, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: Do you prefer the books or the films?

The books hands down! They have a bigger imagination span then the movies. In your head you can create scenes with no limited amount of money. But in films they have a budget. I think that is why people get so upset when they cut out scenes in movies, or they didn't make the background exactly as you imagined it. Of course the movies have taken over our character imagination. Well not if the movie hasn't been made yet!

IMissPadfoot February 13th, 2007 6:33 pm

I love both the books and the movies! Obviously, the books are going to be better because there is a lot more detail and depth to the plots, and of course there is better scope for using your own imagination. But I like the films a lot too. I like to see the story come to life!:D

PoppyPomfrey February 13th, 2007 6:55 pm

i definitely enjoy the books more...especially in gof, since they left a lot out.

bookygirl February 13th, 2007 8:03 pm

THE BOOKS!!!, no doubt, i mean i do love the movies and everything but the books are SO much better then the movies, the movies leave out importent details and sometimes entire plot lines its just rediculous sometimes i mean no SPEW in movie 4 whats that all about and no dobby i mean come one guys!

MissHufflepuff February 13th, 2007 8:06 pm

Re: Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSnare (Post 4347025)
I'm happy that the character of Hermione is prettier in the movies than she is described in the books.

I LOVE the addition of the "flicking tongue" that Crouch recognizes as a trait of his traitor son (who is pretending to be Mad-Eye Moody).

Really? I much prefer her as the average, more unique character.

THe fact hermione's so pretty and different in the movies, almost destroys her, and gives a compeltely differnet impression of not only her, but Ron (and everyone else' feeligns for her).

E.g. Ron likes her DESPITE her looks (which is pretty cute :love: ) not BECAUSE of them!
It doesn't do much for her stand on feminism either.

Baguette February 14th, 2007 11:04 am

Sirius' tatoos :p And Dumbledore wearing an elastic to do up his bearb, too... adds something to the character.

Verolentine February 14th, 2007 2:05 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lord_brademort (Post 4346990)
No, I am really morally opposed to the films (though that doens't stop me seeing them three or four times at the cinema and then rushing out to get them on DVD when that is released).

I think I see the Harry Potter books and the Harry Potter movies as two entirely different series. The films are good, but IMO, not as an adaptation of the books.

Totally agree with you. I don't like the dementors of the movie, they didn't fly!!! That's something that always bother me when i watch the movie!!
And i would love if they keep wearing cloaks... I mean, i really like the uniforms, but the cloaks have more sense of magic. Do you know what i mean??
Now i remember something really bad of the movies... why the patil sisters are both griffyndor?? That's bad...

lillink February 14th, 2007 3:38 pm

The Quidditch World Cup was so much better in the books than in the movie. I was so angry that we didn't get to see the Veelas or the Leprechauns. And it was too fast. If they had left the scene in, it may have added only another 5 to 10 minutes to the show. I'm really hoping that they don't cut back the time of OoTP.

MissHufflepuff February 14th, 2007 3:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verolentine (Post 4348546)
Totally agree with you. I don't like the dementors of the movie, they didn't fly!!! That's something that always bother me when i watch the movie!!
And i would love if they keep wearing cloaks... I mean, i really like the uniforms, but the cloaks have more sense of magic. Do you know what i mean??
Now i remember something really bad of the movies... why the patil sisters are both griffyndor?? That's bad...

A few people have said that it may have been lavender...but then why were they wearing the same clothes and why did harry look at them and then decide who to invite for the ball? Grr!

TTha and Nigel, are two of the things that just bugged me about GoF! IMean...why?!

Padfoots_godson February 14th, 2007 4:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verolentine (Post 4348546)

Read my post on page 4 explaining the whole dementor flying thing, please. But other than that I agree with what you said. Especially about the Patil twins.

IMissPadfoot February 14th, 2007 6:19 pm

Well, I will always prefer the books to the movies, but there are a few parts from the movies that I preferred.

I LOVED Diagon Alley and the chess part in PS...they just looked excellent on screen.
In PoA, I loved the Marauders Map, and the part where the trio went into the Whomping Willow.
And in GoF I thought the Quidditch World Cup was awesome, it's just a shame there wasn't more time for it.

goldensnitch February 17th, 2007 1:09 pm

Both but most the Books - it puts good impression on parents

Baguette February 17th, 2007 1:24 pm

Can anyone tell me if Ron says 'bloody hell' in the books as well as in the movies ? I don't remember reading that... If he doesn't, well, i think that's THE stuff I prefer in the movies^^

LostWizard February 17th, 2007 2:03 pm

Malfoy traformed into a ferret loved that.
Quidditch it looks like so much fun.
Hogwarts the castle the first time seeing it on the screen wow.
The flying car with the whomping willow.
When McGonagall tranforms from the cat sitting on the dest.

ToriPains102 February 17th, 2007 4:02 pm

LostWizard, great minds think alike. Because, those are my favorites!

LexiBlack February 17th, 2007 5:47 pm

I can't really say that anything in the movies was better than the books. I have always been a bigger fan of books than movies. And with the Harry Potter series, there is just so much more to the books. There is this whole world that you can make up in your mind... the way you see it. With the movies, there is one way of seeing the wizarding world because it is already visually set up.

I'm not saying that I don't like the movies because I am the first to admit that I'm in line at the movie theater and I always buy the dvds the day they come out. But I definitely agree with a few other people when they say that they see the books and movies as to completely seperate things. I think that is the best way to go about it because then you are not disappointed when the movies leave out something that continually showed up through out a book.

Chris February 17th, 2007 6:12 pm

I think the moving hedges in the movie was a nice touch; though they could have had some CGI fun and put in the sphynx (sp?).
I don't recall "bloody hell" in the books; that scene where Hermione woke them up was funny. They completely changed that.
It'll never happen, but I would have liked to see version A and version B of how Barty Crouch Jr came back to LV's service. The book version may have been fun to watch (this'd be version B); but I think that the "reinterpritation" of how the DE's "fun" and the Dark Mark at the Quidditch World Cup happened were well done.

Draco Spirit February 17th, 2007 6:31 pm

The dragon rocks in the film I think :rockon:

Hysteria February 17th, 2007 6:53 pm

Quote:

It was to make it simpler to imply they were sisters I believe

cgold February 17th, 2007 11:53 pm

There are actually a few things I prefer to the books and they were all in PoA:

1. I loved when Harry saw Pettigrew on the map and went to search for him.

2. It's basically the same scene as above but I loved when Snape found Harry in the hall while he was looking on the map and they had the little confrontation with Lupin.

3. I loved that Harry enjoyed his ride with Buckbeak and how that whole "King of the World" scene went.

4. I liked the entire time turner sequence in the movie more than I did in the book. It was great except for the part when Harry and Hermione were waiting and Harry starting talking stupidness about finding a home for him and Sirius.

Overall, except for some bad script decisions, I think PoA is a perfect example of how a book like Harry Potter should be translated onto screen where you try to capture what was going on, the emotions and story, but try to make it even better even if you had to change a lot. With a better script that movie could have been nothing short of brilliant. The other 3 movies failed miserably in my opinion and I don't think there's anything I liked more except perhaps the Yule Ball fight with Ron and Hermione.

Cheers :tu: