Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101919)

Night_Seeker February 26th, 2007 3:56 am

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Ok, now, I'm sure everyone has atleast one family member or friend who has never read the books but go with you to see the movies and are atleast casual fans of the films.

Now, I'm asking what were they confused about in the movie and you had to explain to them?

This could be a thread where people who plan to go see the next HP movies with a muggle ;), prepare what they will need to tell them to truly understand the story or alteast ceertain characters and details.

Because lets face it, the last two HP movies have done a really terrible job at explaining things.

So what is your story?

snugglepot February 26th, 2007 5:19 am

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

With PS and CoS, I didn't have to explain anything to my husband.
Then came PoA and he was asking all sorts of questions about the map, and Sirius being a dog and Peter a rat and about the "thing that came out of Harry's wand".
He decided to read GoF before seeing the movie and was glad. He has just finished OotP and has gone back to read PoA, to find out what he missed, so I have now turned him into a book reader.

TurnThePage February 26th, 2007 5:55 am

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Yeah, my cousin told me to "READ THE BOOKS!" because they left so many important things out of PoA and GoF. Haven't read GoF yet but read the other ones. I'm glad she did tell me though because it helps out a lot.

xandra February 26th, 2007 6:09 am

Movies without reading??? Then its better not to watch it all all...

You've actually got to go through every pages in HP novels.. feel the magic swoops you around and finally.. watch the movie...

that is when you'll know the real pleasure watching HP movies...

MinaMurray February 26th, 2007 9:47 am

i think you understand very well the 1st and 2nd movies plot.
the 3rd plot is a bit less well explained.
the 4th plot is HORRIBLE! somebody who haven't read the book didn't understand nothing to the movie.

beth83 February 26th, 2007 10:16 am

mum and i were talking about ootp book and we had to explain to my dad who sirus was as it was before the poa movie. he's not a great reader so he's only watching the films and gets very confused. bless him.

LeanneJO February 26th, 2007 12:21 pm

I have managed to get most of my non-reading friends to read the books by now hehe but the things that needed the most explaining were POA things like the map, Peter Pettigrew, and why Harry's patronus was a stag.

Sunnyj February 26th, 2007 1:23 pm

Well, my big bro has never read any of the books, and he had troubled me a lot when we first watched GOF, asking stupid questions, especially in the scene of Prior Incantatem, "why are these figures coming out, who is this girl, Cedric became alive again??" dunno what nonsense he was talking. The GOF movie in not entirely based on book, yah the story continues, but they have made so many changes in the movie, that its like entirely different from book, instead of dobby- its neville, no winky, no mention of Bertha Jorkins, no Sirius coming in open.

guad February 26th, 2007 1:54 pm

I had to explain the relation between the map and Lupin (marauders). I also had to explain the polyjuice thing in GoF, as well as Voldemorts general motivation for wanting Harrys blood (the protection and the sacrifice). I had to explain where the ghosts came from (in the cementary). I had to explain things about the heir of Slytherin and how it could be Tom Riddle. (in CoS).

Fury February 26th, 2007 2:02 pm

During GOF, after the Quidditch Match, I had to explain that the Irish won, even though they were cheering for Krum... hmm, can't remember anything else right now.

LostWizard February 26th, 2007 9:05 pm

I always tell them they have to read the books. Otherwise they are really missing out.

Phrozenone February 26th, 2007 11:20 pm

Actually most of my friends haven't read any of the books and they understand everything well. Alot of things us book fans notice they don't even think about actually and the only time I had to explain something is if I brough it up first. One thing thats really funny...yet weird..is one of my friends figured the whole Prior Incantatum thing without me explaining it. He was like "Did that happen because they have the same core like they said in the first movie?"...so nah the movies do a good job, I keep telling them there's soooo much more but they're movie fans and that's how they like it.

EBJ23 February 26th, 2007 11:29 pm

My dad has only seen the movies and I had to explain how Hermione and Harry were not going to get together.

morsmordre7 February 26th, 2007 11:40 pm

Everything, basically. I mean, my dad pretty much get's it, but the plot points that are left out....
Anyway. I try not to explain to them about the almighty-ness of Harry Potter. My theories, and opinions/expeirences, I get from the book. It's really hard to push something on people.

tofo579 February 26th, 2007 11:46 pm

ok, i watched the first time i watched the third one, i with my mom and dad. i was so hyped up at all the things that had gotten left out, and i kept trying to explain to them things and my irritation at them leaving thigns out. they were so frustrated with me. now i know that whenever i'm seeing one of the movies for the first time, it has to be with a true fan.
fo sho.

nevillesgirl February 26th, 2007 11:50 pm

I suppose one of the biggest things that I have had to explain is why I took it so hard about Cedric Diggory. I mean to those of us who read the books, we got a good introduction to his character in PoA. The movie doesn't even use the same actor or mention that it is Cedric in that rainy quidditch match. So at the end of GoF, most non-readers thought Cedric was expendable because we didn't get to know him well enough. If you read the books, everyone who snuffs it is known well on some emotional level.

Rhea7 February 26th, 2007 11:50 pm

Well basicly everything. The whole why is Voldemort alive, why Harry didn't die, why is the snake not lsitening to Harry in CoS, why is the murder being nice, and the whole Barty Crouch Jr./Mad Eye Moody change, impersonation thing.

Balbulmaya February 26th, 2007 11:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xandra (Post 4367315)
Movies without reading??? Then its better not to watch it all all...

You've actually got to go through every pages in HP novels.. feel the magic swoops you around and finally.. watch the movie...

that is when you'll know the real pleasure watching HP movies...

but i think i enjoyed the movies more (though i had 20 bazillion questions) before i read the books, because now when i watch the movies i complain about how they miss so much of the needed info! i HATE to have to explain everything to my brother , it's so difficult and complicated...it takes a looong time for him to undesrtand everything.:relax:

xandra February 27th, 2007 2:12 am

My cousin on the other hand, is missing out in pretty much everything. First, he asked me why should there be a world quidditch cup in wizarding world... I don't really feel like answering his question. Can i just bite off his head...?

Paper_Shoes February 27th, 2007 2:28 am

priori incantatem and polyjuice potion in goblet of fire, and ginny opening the chamber of secrets are the only thing i've been asked about

MeMyselfAndI February 27th, 2007 2:28 am

yeah prior incantatem. stag. marauders. snape in general. why the whole harry is alive thing is such a big deal. neville. pretty much everything.

CrazyMuggle February 27th, 2007 3:03 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrozenone (Post 4368413)
Actually most of my friends haven't read any of the books and they understand everything well. Alot of things us book fans notice they don't even think about actually and the only time I had to explain something is if I brough it up first. One thing thats really funny...yet weird..is one of my friends figured the whole Prior Incantatum thing without me explaining it. He was like "Did that happen because they have the same core like they said in the first movie?"...so nah the movies do a good job, I keep telling them there's soooo much more but they're movie fans and that's how they like it.

The same thing happened with me and I was very surprised. My friend had never read any of the books and after we saw GOF in the theater, we watched SS on DVD and when it showed Harry receiving his wand, he suddenly understood that entire Priori scene.

Wright1771 February 28th, 2007 8:59 am

I hadn't picked up a HP book until a week before Philosopher's Stone was to start in OZ. By the time I'd seen the movie I was half way through Azkaban.
Yes, Azkaban was hard to follow to someone who'd never read the books, I mean, it didn't even make much sense to me, even though I knew the story!

Vampire_Girl February 28th, 2007 9:14 pm

Why Harry keeps going back to the Dursleys every summer. My Dad just doesn't get it and when I explain it he says that its sounds like "something that was thought up at the last minute because the author realized it was a problem".

*sigh*

I can't explain things well and he refuses to read the books.

Belgarath2 February 28th, 2007 10:02 pm

I'm lucky enough to be engaged to someone who reads...so we see the films together and no explaining necessary. Although there are heated discussions about everything that's left out...he's not quite as obessive as me, though...
When my dad was forced to watch PS on christmas day ages ago, during the quidditch match when snape was doing his incantation he said, 'so is he the villain?' Ah, the subject of hours of speculation...welcome to our world...

rotsiepots February 28th, 2007 11:51 pm

I usually explain that the books are more detailed and engrossing than the films. While my friends and family who don't read the books don't have any trouble enjoying the films, I think they miss out on the subtler nuances that make the books so wonderful.

I try, rather unsuccessfully, to explain why I love the books, but end up sounding a little bit crazy. Oh well.

CatWitch March 1st, 2007 2:57 am

That this (the movies) is only (really) the TIP of the iceberg and that they should go and read the books if they have the slightest interest in their film version.
The books are the work of a genius while the movies are barely mediocre (PS: I studied literature and cinema in University so I have a reasonable understanding of both).

CW

Nairobi_Dawn March 1st, 2007 3:06 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgarath2 (Post 4371349)
I'm lucky enough to be engaged to someone who reads...so we see the films together and no explaining necessary. Although there are heated discussions about everything that's left out...he's not quite as obessive as me, though...
When my dad was forced to watch PS on christmas day ages ago, during the quidditch match when snape was doing his incantation he said, 'so is he the villain?' Ah, the subject of hours of speculation...welcome to our world...

Oh my God!!! My dad is the same way!!! Every movie (I make him go to the premieres with me :p ) he always says "Oh, now Snape is showing his true colors." This was BEFORE HBP, which by the way, he read the ending in the PX gasping loudly while fellow muggles around us wished desperately to have the ability to hex him! :grumble: ...so now my dad is convinced he's evil incarnate...and I will never hear the end of it!!!

Leslie33 March 1st, 2007 3:59 am

I always try to encourage them to read the books first. This way they know what is going on and what certain words mean. There is NOTHING more annoying than someone who doesn't know the story and LOUDLY ask "What is she talking about?" "What on earth does he have a zig-zag scar on his forehead?"
The other reason I encourage them to read the books, especially SS BEFORE renting the movie is you get to see the INSPIRATION behind the movies. You get to see how closely Hogwarts,
Last year I went with a friend to see "Memoirs of a Geisha" and she asked question after question. She was really loud and people were looking at her. Some even "shhed" her. Needless to say my rule of thumb is I don't take someone to this type of movie unless they've read the book or know the background to the story. You also get to see the Characters and what they look like in your eye. This way you can see why they hired the Actors they now use in the movie, etc.

nevillesgal March 1st, 2007 5:37 am

The Marauders map. My mother and one of my good friends were so confused about how Remus and Sirius knew about it. The movie never even explains who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs are. Along those same lines, I had to explain why it was significant that Harry's patronus was a stag.

Sort of a side note: a friend told me one day he thought he knew one of the people who was going to die in the last book. He's only seen the movies, and he said he thought Neville because he was a side character who didn't matter much to the plot line. I just sort of looked at him funny (my husband, who reads but isn't as into them as I am, burst out laughing), and then said "I think you should read the books and then decide if Neville's an important character."

YellowRose March 1st, 2007 9:33 am

I've been reading the books to my three year old since she was about 10 months old so she knows the stories inside out. But when she watches the films with me, for the first time on DVD, I explain things and talk her through the scary parts. Like Nagini is not really real and that person is not really dead, it's all pretend etc. That way she dosen't get scared.

Iqen March 1st, 2007 11:36 am

Actually I only watched the movies with the people who did read the books. My family or friends who didn't read the book didn't bother watching the movie.

popcornzyum March 1st, 2007 1:00 pm

i was so frustrated in the cinema that when i was watching it i had to tell my family to be quiet so i could watch it. when the movie came out on DVD i bought one got my family to sit and watch wit hme and when they had a question i would pause it so that they understood, it halped them to understand what was going on but it added an hour to the film telling them what was hapening lol

chicklitbkwm March 2nd, 2007 5:28 am

My cousin only watches the movies and doesn't read the book, so I have to explain a LOT to her, especially in PoA where she had questions about what that "map-thingy" was and who was the rat and why was the rat so important? In GoF, she didn't get the whole Mad Eye Moody plot line, so I had to explain all that to her. Luckily, I told her everything after the movie was over, so no interruptions.

I guess there is a major difference between movie fans, and book fans. We who read the book are waiting to spot certain things in the movie, and the movie fans just go for fun...

cornish_pixies March 3rd, 2007 3:06 am

After GoF, I vowed never to watch the movie for the first time with someone who hasn't read the books.
Pretty much nothing after CoS makes sense without reading the books. It's incredibly annoying to have to explain EVERYTHING to someone, during the movie.

Hysteria March 3rd, 2007 3:18 am

I didnt have to explain anythign to my friend (who hasnt read the books) for the first two but she got so lost during PoA. She didnt understand why Sirius was a dog or Remus was a warewolf.

MissHufflepuff March 3rd, 2007 12:29 pm

To my Dad, when watching GOF with him on DVD at home (his first tiem at seeing it). I exlained:

1) that Wormtail was peter pettigrew - the one who betrayed harry - not sirius. (a quick remind there - and the fact he's also called wormtail)

2) who ginny was

3) erm.....i'm not sure what else. but i don't think he got some tihings exactly (he just didn;t mention it!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevillesgal (Post 4372037)
The Marauders map. My mother and one of my good friends were so confused about how Remus and Sirius knew about it. The movie never even explains who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs are. Along those same lines, I had to explain why it was significant that Harry's patronus was a stag.

Sort of a side note: a friend told me one day he thought he knew one of the people who was going to die in the last book. He's only seen the movies, and he said he thought Neville because he was a side character who didn't matter much to the plot line. I just sort of looked at him funny (my husband, who reads but isn't as into them as I am, burst out laughing), and then said "I think you should read the books and then decide if Neville's an important character."

LOL!!! Aand I don't think JK relly just kills of 'boring, sideline characters' for the fun of it anyway!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EBJ23 (Post 4368425)
My dad has only seen the movies and I had to explain how Hermione and Harry were not going to get together.

:grumble: hehe! well my dad knows - about one thing he does in HP! :D

BUt also, in GoF - he didn;t know that Krum was, well, the guy in the quidditch world cup. *rolls eyes*

but he may have noticed later on, once he'd ehard the name a few times

potterbuff March 3rd, 2007 1:15 pm

I can't remember exactly what I've had to explain, but I dare say it's been a lot. I know there's only so much they can put into the films, but they leave out so much detail it really ruins it. It's confusing for the people who haven't read the books, and even just the smallest details being left out can make a difference. For example in GoF (book) we learn that Mad Eye will only ever drink from his own hip flask. In the film this is left out, and although it's only a small thing, it's a clue that the polyjuice potion is in there.

Also, from what I remember about GoF film, it doesn't explain anything about Rita Skeeter being an unregistered animagus, leading to Hermione's blackmail etc & her not working for the Prophet any more, meaning that in OOTP her interview with Harry is printed in the The Quibbler as she has no credibility with the Prophet any more. I think this is an important issue, as it's that interview that leads most of the school to believe that V's back. From what I can find out, Rita Skeeter is NOT in OOTP, meaning they're just mentioning it in passing, or that they're bypassing that part of the story completely.

I'm sure that we could be over analysing, or even being picky, but a film should always be true to the book....after all, the films (as far as I know) don't say BASED on the books.

MrSleepyHead March 6th, 2007 2:22 am

I have persuaded all of those that I see the movies with to read the books...except one. With each movie release there is something of a family reunion, even though my cousin and I are the only true Harry Potter fans. However, one cannot argue with tradition. My father thoroughly enjoys the movies, but he is too absorbed in his books on the Civil War to read the Harry Potter books. Therefore, after every movie I always do a summary (for everyone, considering they have read the books only one time each[ a long time ago at that]), and then I am forced to answer all of the questions about the details lost in the adaptation from book to film. It is very difficult to lecture my relatives on the matter, considering they always ask the questions that have not been answered by JKR. It is fun, but tiresome.

Luckily, my friends shun Harry Potter, and thus I do not have to discuss the movies with them (it is sad, in a sense, but I enjoy debating on here rather than with those 'friends' of mine in reality).

eeyore4965 March 6th, 2007 4:59 pm

My dad is HORRIBLE for this, expecially if he sits down in the laast 5 minutes of ANY movie and wants you to catch him up from the beginning AND explain the life stories of every person in the films. I've tried to get him to read the HP books to no avail, but after telling him to sit there and look pretty for the last 5 min of SS, I restarted the movie and he was able to watch it from the beginning. After that I created another HP Film nut! He's 60 years old and really enjoys the movies, his fav is probably COS because of the car but he has started getting friends of his to watch the HP movies as well. He would probably get more out of the movies if he were to read the books, but at least he has started to follow the series from the start so he is getting to know the characters and their stories.

kala_way March 6th, 2007 5:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead (Post 4380000)
It is very difficult to lecture my relatives on the matter, considering they always ask the questions that have not been answered by JKR. It is fun, but tiresome.

Exactly! I come on here so much that I forget that the average HP 'fan' doesn't keep up with all the details and news. I spent almost an hour trying to explain to my sister (who's read the books once) why Snape is really good :lol: but you can forget about trying to get into the invisibility cloak or the unbreakable vow etc. I think you have to be submerged before you even care about such things :rockon:

I think the biggest thing from the films that I've had to explain was to do with POA since the entire storyline was rather muddled and the Marauder's background was unclear.

snapegirl March 6th, 2007 5:27 pm

Yeah, I've had to explain random things. Like:
The whole "how Tom Riddle came out of the diary" thing.
Who's house Voldemort was in at the begining of GoF.
The Mr. Crouch, Barty Jr. thing really took a lot of explaining.
I've also had to tell my friends that some things that bothered them weren't in the books at all. The biggest thing was the entrances of the other schools in GoF. Nobody liked the dancing, fire breathing, stick banging, butterfly antics.

MissHufflepuff March 6th, 2007 6:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeyore4965 (Post 4380653)
My dad is HORRIBLE for this, expecially if he sits down in the laast 5 minutes of ANY movie and wants you to catch him up from the beginning AND explain the life stories of every person in the films. I've tried to get him to read the HP books to no avail, but after telling him to sit there and look pretty for the last 5 min of SS, I restarted the movie and he was able to watch it from the beginning. After that I created another HP Film nut! He's 60 years old and really enjoys the movies, his fav is probably COS because of the car but he has started getting friends of his to watch the HP movies as well. He would probably get more out of the movies if he were to read the books, but at least he has started to follow the series from the start so he is getting to know the characters and their stories.

that's pretty good! at least he's stil a fan! :) shows that the films can't be that bad!

Elviriel March 9th, 2007 4:01 pm

My parents are terrible about it. I tried to make them watch GOF the other day, and they didn't understand anything, lol. The Moody stuff particularly confused them too. And my father asked me why there was a rock band at Hogwarts :lol:
My mum liked PoA, but she was confused about the Pettigrew thing...

My friends are okay, though, but I still have to explain things to them.

chocolatefrog99 March 10th, 2007 1:55 am

Er-everything, really. I know my father dosen't understand a thing that's happening but, bless him, dosen't ask a single question. Just sits there looking all confused. Same for my brother as well. Must be hereditary :lol:.

I don't really blame them, though. If you haven't read the books you're sort-of hopeless...

My youngest brother though, arghh! He's starting to get into hp, and I'm reading the books to him (He's only 7, have mercy) and teaching him the spells, you know, the usual. But he asks the largest questions!

Example:"WHY DID VOLDEMORT WANT TO KILL HARRY?"

Well, then I have to explain to a 7 year old, in words he'll understand, horcruxes, the prophecy, what Godric's Hollow is... Yeah. It does take a while.

teardrops17 March 10th, 2007 4:40 am

nothing... just don't go telling me that the movie sucks... I'll sl*p the books in their face... It's so irritating.... <grins><haha>

ToriPains102 March 10th, 2007 5:12 pm

I have to explain the history of the characters. Like Neville and how he came to live with his grandparents, Voldemort and how we went bad, Dumbledore, how harry got his scar. Which is a DEAD GIVEAWAY in the first movie.

morsmordre7 March 10th, 2007 5:19 pm

The hardest thing to explain is why Voldemort wanted to kill Harry, and how he keeps coming back and everything. Also, about the diary too.
Becuase then you have to get into this long rant about how Tom Riddle made these Horcruxes, after he killed his relatives, and so on...

MHPFAN March 10th, 2007 5:31 pm

PS/SS: Didn't have to explain anything. This one wasn't as confusing as others, and I started with the movies and not the books. So, I didn't have to explain anything.

CoS: Didn't like it as much as the first, but wasn't at all confused.

PoA: I watched this movie before reading the book, and I was so lost. My sisters, who had read the books before me, tried to explain how Lupin knew the Marauders map was a map, why Sirius said to Snape to go back and play with his chemistry set, and some other things I can't remember right at the moment. Ironically, it is my favorite of the four. :shrug:

GoF: I didn't really have to explain much to my mother, except for certain things. For example, what was gillyweed, and the foe glass, etc.

I have to admit, PoA was the most confusing for me. My sisters had to explain quite a lot to me.

Wimsey March 10th, 2007 7:46 pm

After the first two movies, to give the 3rd film a chance.

Nothing for the 3rd movie, except whether it was explained in the book how Harry survived the Dementor attack if his survival depended on him already surviving. (Most of them already knew different time travel theory; they were just wondering if it was made explicit.)

For the 4th movie, the question was what analogue of an "egg" was cut from the second task on the assumption that the 2nd task set up the 3rd in the same way that the 1st set up the 2nd; then the question was why it was retained!

However, after the 3rd movie, I did not have to explain to people that good films were coming: PoA hooked them. Most of them have never seen Chamber, however, and have no interest in doing so. (I already told them that everything important about Chamber will be summarized in one line in a future movie.)

nekluvshp March 10th, 2007 10:41 pm

Are you kidding? Seven people live in my household and I'm the only that has ever read the books. When I watch the movies I'm always pointing out the things that are different from the books and people think it's annoying after a little while. Not very many people at my school have read them either. You're almost considered a dork if you read them. :gryff:

popcornzyum March 18th, 2007 12:27 pm

i watched GoF with my mum the other day.....she kept asking little questions like:
"why did he (moody) point a direction out to harry?"
"is he (Mr . crouch) a baddie?"
"does hermione fancy harry?" (when she asked this i just stared at her and said "no...she likes ron" and she said "what! really?? how did you know that and i was like "have you not picked up on any of the signs? its a bit obvious!")

when i watched PoA with her she asked little questions like:
"is he (lupin) a bad guy?"
"Does he die" (i told her nobody dies in this film and then about 5 mins later...."does he die?" and i was like *sigh*
she asked why the dementors liked to go after harry...and i said to her "well as the film says "because there are true horrors in your past that the others dont have" and then she was like.."what horrors? but why do they like him?" and i go "His Mum and Dad are dead!". and then once we got to the part when lupin tells harry why the dementors like him (in almost the exact words i told her) she goes "oh so theres my answer" and i looked at her and said "i told you those exact words just now!"

even though she had only seen PoA when it came out in the cinema..when i watched it with her she kept remembering tiny little things that werent important. like:
when aunt marge was about to blow up she siad "this is the part where she blows up isnt it and i was like "yea...how did you know that" and she just goes "ive seen it before" and i was thinking *yea about 3 years ago*

also when harry and hermione have gone back in time and the bit where hermione goes "is that really what my hair looks like from the back?" i said to her "i love this bit its really funny" and then she said to me "is it the bit with her hair" and i stared and said "how the HELL did you remember that?!"

sticky March 18th, 2007 12:53 pm

me and my mother have read the books, but when we watch them on dvd...shes always asking whos he...what does he do...does he die???? its fustrating...my sister just has no idea whats happening at all......my father......lets not get started about him...lol. i had to explain the whole of the poa to my family.... the only reason they know about the first two movies is cos i stuck the soundtracks on in the car when we were going on holiday and kept on saying ' on this is where...oh here....oh harry here...etc' you get the point...

taupimu March 19th, 2007 11:32 am

There were a couple of things from POA and GOF that the people not reading the books couldn't understand. But bless them, they waited until the movie was over before asking the questions.

SliverFerret March 21st, 2007 6:01 am

Considering out a family of 8, me and my younger sister Sara are the HP freaks. So yes, we end up having to explain a lot. I mean just some of the minor details can be a pain. Because you keep thinking "Just read the bloody book!" So you get tired of having to explain what's what, and what does what, and what something meant. You know...ugh. Infuriating.

Especially when you have to explain it 40-50 times.

And Priori Incantatem was a big one. I had loads of time to talk about that to my brother and sisters with Sara.

Debra March 21st, 2007 10:33 pm

I've actually gave up trying to explain things to my
husband who has only seen the films and doesn't see what
all the fuss is about!!?? :no:

We watched GoF together at Christmas on DVD and I
ended up switching it off because every five minutes he
would ask another question!

I have told him a thousand times to read the books
but he wont listen! aaargh he drives me mad!

(sorry rant over :;):)

Debs xxx

Twycross March 21st, 2007 10:40 pm

It goes like this;
Mum, Harry's the one with the glasses, no dad Hermione's the girl, Yes those are twins, No that gigantic spider is not scary, and so on.

Hanmo March 22nd, 2007 3:37 am

Some people have asked me why Harry has an 'N' on his forehead.

PotterFreak0515 March 22nd, 2007 6:01 am

Well, I never watch the movies with anyone who hasn't read the books because all my friends have read the books. Well, most of them. The main exception is my friend Gabby, but I only met her this year and there obviously hasn't been any new movies this year. She's seen all the movies, but hasn't read the books. This isn't exactly the same thing, but in gym class I just ramble on about Harry Potter to her explaining all these little details. For some reason, she actually likes listening to it. I don't know why, but she does. Usually, I'm half talking to myself because she'll be listening, but I'll go off on some random detail, a theory half-formed in my mind before going back and explaining it to her.

Leiyah March 23rd, 2007 7:27 am

A friend recently asked to watch the movies. So we had a movie-marathon day. SS and CoS she basically took for face value, didn't really question much of anything. There were a few questions in PoA about the map, the petronus stag and how is it that LV keeps coming back after he's been defeated at different intervals.

MmeBergerac March 23rd, 2007 9:59 am

I always must explain that the Shrieking Shack scene is much better and has much more information in the book. People always hear me saying that part is wonderful, and then are a bit dissapointed of they only see the movie.

Lillbet March 23rd, 2007 4:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night_Seeker (Post 4367206)
Ok, now, I'm sure everyone has atleast one family member or friend who has never read the books but go with you to see the movies and are atleast casual fans of the films.

Now, I'm asking what were they confused about in the movie and you had to explain to them?

This could be a thread where people who plan to go see the next HP movies with a muggle ;), prepare what they will need to tell them to truly understand the story or alteast ceertain characters and details.

Because lets face it, the last two HP movies have done a really terrible job at explaining things.

So what is your story?

Whoops. Misunderstood. I've never actually seen the movies with folks who haven't read the books.

But when I go with my dad, who has read them, I find myself having to tell him to chill out and watch the film- he's not a patient person.

shayna March 23rd, 2007 5:21 pm

I had to explain the Marauder's map further and how come Sirius and Lupin knew how to work it.
After my friend saw the second film she said how cute Harry and Hermione are together.
I've had to explain that no, Hagrid and Madam Maxime are no longer a couple... which led to an explanation of half-giants and giants...
I don't even bother mentioning S.P.E.W. or Winky or anything like that... I feel so bad that the viewer is missing out on a great story.

CissyBella March 24th, 2007 1:10 am

My mother is a hopeless case. it took her about three years to be able to tell Sirius from Severus, so watching the movies with her is horrible! I had to explain every aspect of the time-turner, the maurader's map, and the firebolt in POA & GOF was even worse! I had to tell her five times what a Portkey was & she didnt understand the triwizard tournament at all, to say nothing of the ending!

hermionegrlene March 24th, 2007 3:04 pm

One word EV-ER-Y-THING!!!!! Unless it's SS or CoS, those were pretty close.

xhanax315 March 24th, 2007 3:05 pm

When my family sees the mvoeis, they think they know everything that happened. But i have to argue with them that they got it wrong. Then I have to explain to them what really happened and it takes them forever to get it. :grumble:

remusgirl82 March 25th, 2007 1:16 am

I only recently read the books (got them for Christmas... finally!!) and I realize that I actually figured out a lot on my own. I did go see the first two movies with my little sister, who's been a huge fan since the first book. I asked her a few questions when she brought differences up, but otherwise I got on okay.

I figured out who the Mauraders were after the second or third time watching the movie, but I realized how different the movies were when I read PoA. I have to say, that's still my favorite movie. Anyway, my husband has asked me a few questions about the GoF movie, but he get's the general idea, and says he's excited about the OotP movie. I bet this time he asks me lots of questions, since I'm so excited about this movie (being my first to see after reading). I'm hoping this one will finally get him to read the books!

goldenlight March 25th, 2007 1:32 am

My friend couldn't understand the whole relationship between barty crouch and his son and why barty crouch jr wanted to kill harry so badly. The movie didn't explain that part really well. >.<

Half_Blood26 March 25th, 2007 1:41 am

Usually during the movie i have to eplain it, then i miss parts, and in POA, if you didn't read it than the whole going-back-in-time thing needs some explaining, unless you get it, then hats off to you.

okkid March 25th, 2007 4:14 am

everything even when we're watching it in the theatres.it's quite annoying actually.

corunner81 March 30th, 2007 6:21 am

I've only watched POA with people who haven't read the books, and I had to explain the map and why it was important and how Lupin knew so much about it, etc. And the time travel. . . yeah

Weazleby March 30th, 2007 7:24 am

I just try to briefly explain how sitting down and reading the books are much more exciting, etc. Usually I throw in some veiled insults (usually because my friends or family are too lazy to sit down and read something, anything) for good measure, but only jokingly and lovingly.

But I refuse to go see the movies with someone who has not read the books. Number one, it's usually a big party for my friends and I to go see the movies at midnight and two, because I would be sorely tempted to explain everything in detail.

leahdk08 March 30th, 2007 5:32 pm

I watched all 4 movies before opening a book. After I would read a book, I would watch the movie to compare. My boyfriend, on the other hand, has relied on me to explain everything that gets confusing in the movies. And I mean everything. I would have to fill him in on parts that were left out, and so on. After watching the 4th movie and getting all the details from me, he decided it was time he started reading the books! He's not really into reading, but he's working his way along.

Wimsey March 30th, 2007 5:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeBergerac (Post 4406171)
I always must explain that the Shrieking Shack scene is much better and has much more information in the book. People always hear me saying that part is wonderful, and then are a bit dissapointed of they only see the movie.

Actually, the version in the book is what is known as a first-order idiot plot sensu Damon Knight. That is, the plot requires that an otherwise intelligent person do something really stupid: in this case, Lupin prattles on and on about his childhood as a werewolf, which causes him to overlook the completely unrelated matter that he is about to become a werewolf. It also requires Hermione and Black to conveniently forget that it is the full moon outside. So, a much faster paced scene was necessary: if Lupin is about to become a werewolf, then they should be in a rush.

Even if it had not been for that, it still needed to be reduced. Nothing in Lupin's monologue is relevant to the plot or the story. It is nice backstory, but how the map came to be simply is not important to the plot (that Lupin knows it is a map is the only important point) and the why of it is ancient history. It is much like the Council of Elrond scene in Lord of the Rings. There is a lot of talking there, and you get a lot of the history of Middle earth. Yes, it is cool for Tolkien fans: but is also is a point where a lot of people quit reading the book! In the end, there is very little truly useful information. As much as Tolkien fans howled at its reduction, the movie was much better for streamlining it and cutting to the important points. The same is true for the Shrieking Shack: so much talking with no outcome would have killed the pace and left audiences asking: why include all of that if it was not directly important to the plot or story?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4406543)
Whoops. Misunderstood. I've never actually seen the movies with folks who haven't read the books.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the people who see the movies do not even start the books. Indeed, we know now that most of the adults who start the book (at least in Great Britain) do not even finish the books! (A recent survey found that nearly one third of the adults in Britain had started Goblet but failed to finish it, and there is no way that 2/3rds of the adults in Britain even start to read the book!)

At most, book readers are about ~25% of the audience. They are a bit over half of the opening audience, and a small proportion after that. (The fans rush out to see the film, as do fans of general action/adventure; other people see it later.) Real fans of the book (like us) are, at most, 10-15% of the audience, given the difference in how Harry Potter fans and general audiences rated the last two movies. (I had a post here ages ago that used population statistics to demonstrate this.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by corunner81 (Post 4421847)
I've only watched POA with people who haven't read the books, and I had to explain the map and why it was important and how Lupin knew so much about it, etc. And the time travel. . . yeah

How did you explain the time travel? The book provides no more explanation than does the movie.

Also, why did you need to explain the map? How did you explain how Fred & George knew how to work the map? Did people ask this, or did you ask them afterwards?

Quote:

Originally Posted by leahdk08 (Post 4422819)
And I mean everything. I would have to fill him in on parts that were left out, and so on. After watching the 4th movie and getting all the details from me, he decided it was time he started reading the books! He's not really into reading, but he's working his way along.

Again, did he really not understand what was happening? General audiences had no trouble following the last two movies, except for three details:
  1. How did Harry survive to travel back in time when this depended on his already having survived? (This is NOT explained in the book, either.)
  2. What was Polyjuice Potion? (Audiences did not remember it from Chamber, and the movie followed the book in not presenting a scene that showed it.)
  3. What was the "egg" from the second task that let Harry perform the third task? (There was no such thing in the book, but people assumed that it had been cut.)

How Lupin knew about the map was no more a general question from the audiences than how Fred & George knew about it: once it was established that Lupin knew about it, the audiences followed along.

The vast majority of the details cut from both movies actually were not relevant to the main plots (being side plots themselves) or the stories. So, I really think that most of the "questions" from non-readers were raised only after readers prompted them. Remember, Lord of the Rings fans made the same claims: i.e., that non-readers could not possibly understand the movies. However, people do not like movies that they do not understand: which means that with 95% positive marks, people understood the Lord of the Rings movies. The last two Harry Potter movies also got very high marks from audiences (although not quite LotR levels: but those movies were real outliers!), which means that audiences understood them well enough. There were no plot holes and nothing that did not follow: again, establishing that Lupin knowing that the map works is what the plot requires: how he knows is no more important than how Fred & George know.

Lillbet March 30th, 2007 7:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wimsey (Post 4422881)
Keep in mind that the vast majority of the people who see the movies do not even start the books. Indeed, we know now that most of the adults who start the book (at least in Great Britain) do not even finish the books! (A recent survey found that nearly one third of the adults in Britain had started Goblet but failed to finish it, and there is no way that 2/3rds of the adults in Britain even start to read the book!)

At most, book readers are about ~25% of the audience. They are a bit over half of the opening audience, and a small proportion after that. (The fans rush out to see the film, as do fans of general action/adventure; other people see it later.) Real fans of the book (like us) are, at most, 10-15% of the audience, given the difference in how Harry Potter fans and general audiences rated the last two movies. (I had a post here ages ago that used population statistics to demonstrate this.)

Wimsey, you show-off, you crack me up! :lol:

What I meant was that I misunderstood the point of the thread because the folks I go to the movies with personally all read the books. As for the rest of the audience, well, they're not my problem.

Montse April 1st, 2007 4:09 am

Not everybody cares,but some who ask,i would have to say a lot ,cause they dont know or remeber much after a whole year in between the movies.

_Ravenclaw_1207 April 2nd, 2007 3:30 am

I watch the movies with my parents, and sometimes my cousin. My dad usually just reads the books once, so he understands everything pretty well, I just have to remind him about a few things. My mom and cousin watched GoF and said they understood it, but I'm afraid they didn't. They could have gotten so much more out of that movie...

Rhea7 April 2nd, 2007 9:14 pm

I actually had a person who was sitting in front of a friend and I, who both read the books and talking abuot the movie and what we expected for the upcomming books, and all this stuff. So the person sitting in front of us, with two younger children, maybe 7-9. He turns around and asks "What is going to happen in this movie?? Who's the guy with the white face?? And was the guy in the lat movie that harry helped escape, was he good or bad??" Me and my friend started laughing but we explained it to him. He had seen them with his kids, but never really followed them too much. I couldn't be annoyed, he was so nice. =]

IntricateLogic April 2nd, 2007 10:31 pm

Probably how annoyed I am about what they did wrong. I usually ruin the movie for them by pointing those things out =)

AliceFO April 2nd, 2007 11:20 pm

Chamber of Secrets was on the other day and my Dad was watching and I had to constantly tell him who everyone was and what they were talking about.
Dad: "So whose that with the blonde hair?"
Me: "Thats Malfoy"
Dad: "Malfoy? I thought the long haired guy was Malfoy, the one in the book shop?"
Me: "Noo! Thats Draco's dad!"
Dad: "Draco? Whose he?"
Me: "Draco is Draco Malfoy, Lucius Malfoy is Draco's dad"
Dad: "I'm confused.."

Dear me!

Coralie April 2nd, 2007 11:24 pm

firstly i have to explain how great the books are!
i was really surprised to find that my sister who has only watched several of the movies thought that hermione and harry would become a couple!how wrong she was! i, and all other harry readers in the room, were gobsmacked.

Refinnej7 April 3rd, 2007 12:48 am

My ex-boyfriend and I had a trade-off...I watched the "Firefly" series, and he would watch HP (I tried to get him to read the books, but he's dead set on watching all seven movies before reading...crazy...).

He asked why Hermione was allowed to take so many classes that she would NEED a time-turner in PoA.

But when he watched CoS, he asked if the diary-Riddle had anything to do with Voldie not completely disappearing, and I wanted to go into Horcruxes and such, but knew it would be lost...just said it had to do with book 6.

People always ask about Lupin and the map, and why Sirius and he get along at the end, if Sirius broke out of prison...

branwall April 3rd, 2007 12:58 am

My family always had a hard time with the movies, more and more so as they progressed. They never seemed to understand things like the map, and I would have to say that movie four had them very confused. I cant remember all of the questions they asked, but they didn't get the point of the triwiz tournament

lilyseyes April 3rd, 2007 1:11 am

Well, sometimes the muggles I go with see the inconsistancies in the film, and I do have to try and explain how this happened or that character got there. One thing I have noticed is that once you start telling them what they've missed, the want more and more. I love loaning out my books and seeing new fans emerge right before my eyes.

Lillbet April 4th, 2007 5:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyseyes (Post 4431316)
Well, sometimes the muggles I go with see the inconsistancies in the film, and I do have to try and explain how this happened or that character got there. One thing I have noticed is that once you start telling them what they've missed, the want more and more. I love loaning out my books and seeing new fans emerge right before my eyes.

Ah, another Harry Potter dealer :D

lil_miss_panic April 4th, 2007 8:56 pm

I finally got tired of trying to explain to hubby to be about the difference so one night I tossed the first book on his side of the bed and said if you read all 6 books then I wont harp any more about the fact I will miss both movie 5 and release of book 7 due to wedding and honeymoon. Well he read them and loved them me on the other hand....well hubby to be knows I love him and he says he loves me to but will not change the wedding date of 7/13/2007....but I digress.
The truth is the movies are great on their own and for the most part you can watch them and understand them without having to read the books. However I do always tell people who have only seen the movies you are missing out on some awsome writing by one of the best authors of my childs time.

HarrysMagicWand May 5th, 2007 6:39 pm

I tell them simply

Go read the books. Wayyyy better. :argh:

popcornzyum May 11th, 2007 8:20 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarrysMagicWand (Post 4495964)
I tell them simply

Go read the books. Wayyyy better. :argh:

im constantly teling my brother to read the books but he wont listen to me...he says he will just get bored. and im like..but you havent even tried to read them! trust me theyre great. he still wont read them :no:

sllagnire May 14th, 2007 1:38 am

I feel like I constantly have to explain things to my boyfriend when we watch the movies. He doesn't ask me to, I do it voluntarily. I feel like I have to explain what it is that he is missing out on. I guess it is part of my plan to try to get him to read the books. He likes the movies but doesnt like to read, so he refuses to read them. Hmmph.

IntricateLogic May 16th, 2007 8:31 pm

Just about everything. If you're ever in the theater with me, you'll hear me whispering things to my mom, dad, and neighbors (who usually come with us) OR you'll hear my sister and I whispering about it.

gradstudent08 May 17th, 2007 1:46 am

Lil_Miss_Panic,

You can do what I did when I got married. The X-files movie came out the same weekend we got married. I was a big fan at the time, and we managed to squeeze in a matinee on our honeymoon. We had a ball! I know it's not the same as going opening night, but still good!

I've had to explain a lot of stuff to my dad and step-mom. I keep trying to get her to read (my dad's not a reader), but she hasn't taken me up on it yet. But they love the movies. They are so excitied about OotP, it just makes me more excited about it!

PaRTyGiRL089 May 17th, 2007 11:49 am

well, there was this one time when we watched PoA, and my sister was all like, "what happens to the future hermione when blah blah the past hermione blah blah with the time turner?!" i can't understand her. but when i did, it took me about thirty minutes to explain to her how the time turner works, with matching props and re-watching the scene two times! argh! it was really hard. i just wish she doesn't do that again and just read the book! but i doubt it that she'll understand it better.

mrfutterman May 19th, 2007 10:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaRTyGiRL089 (Post 4516242)
well, there was this one time when we watched PoA, and my sister was all like, "what happens to the future hermione when blah blah the past hermione blah blah with the time turner?!" ...... i just wish she doesn't do that again and just read the book! but i doubt it that she'll understand it better.

I doubt it, given that the book and the film are identical on this point.

Twycross May 24th, 2007 6:30 am

I only explain why they have to read the books

betSytrOtwOod May 25th, 2007 3:56 am

A lot! I don't really mind it though, I kind of like it because I love to talk about HP and I don't know many others who do. I have seen every HP movie with my aunt and uncle (though I'm not sure about the 5th one) and after every movie they have a lot of questions about who people were or what happened. I know when I saw GoF I was even confused a bit and I'd read the book so it must have been difficult for the non-readers to understand. Seriously, people should read the books. They are awsome and they give you SO much more information. I don't know how well non-readers can follow the series when so much is left out or poorly explained. I know PoA was REALLY poorly explained.

iwuvgampa1925 May 26th, 2007 6:51 pm

i try to explain to them what happend when they ask me a question but sometimes i just say.."why dont you read the book?" lol.

ginnyluv May 26th, 2007 8:55 pm

lots of detail:lol:

sticky May 26th, 2007 9:11 pm

usually a lot of stuff.....i wouldn't mind if they did it after the film...but when we are in the cinema watching ti for the first time i want to concentrate in it.....my mother and friends saw a poster of the ootp and it had luna in it and they didn't know who she was, or ginny.....:no: its sawful isn't it:lol:

Kashman June 26th, 2007 6:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyseyes (Post 4431316)

That's one of the benefits of the films. More fans are created in that they read the books and then realise how wonderful our world really is and sooo much more than just the films with their skimming of the true story.

Lillbet June 26th, 2007 6:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sticky (Post 4531649)
usually a lot of stuff.....i wouldn't mind if they did it after the film...but when we are in the cinema watching ti for the first time i want to concentrate in it.....

Yeah, my father isn't a "wait and see" sort of person- he wants to know what's going on NOW. Since he doesn't usually read the books before we see the film he usually has quite a few questions after the movie, which I try to address, but as of late I've been making excuses more than explaining. Hopefully I won't have to with this next. :shrug: