Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Post DH References (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Pottermore v.10 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=130213)

Miss_Gaunt November 5th, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: Pottermore v.10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 5921663)
So... any theories on why these comments might have been removed?

They don't like big words..? :hmm:

I posted:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorting page
Ravenclaw! Yes! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clothing page
Love it :D

when I got on the site at the end of August, and they only got approved last week. I'm pretty sure that was because I used a happy face though...:rotfl:

MerryLore November 5th, 2011 7:47 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 5921677)
:rotfl:

But wouldn't the software be how the comments get kicked into moderation? These comments were specifically removed after moderation. :wow:

In other words... by a human.

I've been told by some who write lots of Pottermore comments that there's a program in place which combs through the comments, and if it recognizes everything and approves it, the comment appears almost immediately, and no human is required. However, if the comment contains a word such as "rendering," which is perhaps unfamiliar to the software, the comment is placed into a moderation queue, where is has to be approved by a human, and the comment may be delayed before appearing.

silver ink pot November 5th, 2011 7:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BronzeDragon (Post 5921591)
Hahaha, everyone is so young! If Pottermore does a book-a-year release, I'll be in my thirties by the time this is over.

This might cheer you up ~ I'll be 60!!! :lol: And so will alot of people. :rotfl:

But I'll still be here waiting for more backstory from JKR. Constant Vigilance! :agree:

MrSleepyHead November 5th, 2011 8:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith
Those comments just look so.... threatening.... don't they? :evil:

So... any theories on why these comments might have been removed?

Very threatening! :) I really am at a loss for why these would be disallowed. Perhaps the reason the last two were rejected is because you suggested renderings of the characters, when JKR/Pottermore has said they want to keep characters' appearances as ambiguous as possible so as not to infringe on readers' interpretations. As for the others, perhaps they simply did not add anything to the conversation; but I do not see why that would prevent them from being posted, as over half the comments I have seen are simple responses/comments on the text.

What worries me, though, is that if these comments were rejected by the moderation then it seems that Pottermore will continue to heavily limit interaction among the users. I understand they do not want it to become a social network site or forums, but for all the emphasis they place on friends and comments I would think they would have laxer rules about commenting.

ccollinsmith November 5th, 2011 9:04 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryLore (Post 5921686)
I've been told by some who write lots of Pottermore comments that there's a program in place which combs through the comments, and if it recognizes everything and approves it, the comment appears almost immediately, and no human is required. However, if the comment contains a word such as "rendering," which is perhaps unfamiliar to the software, the comment is placed into a moderation queue, where is has to be approved by a human, and the comment may be delayed before appearing.

Yes. I undersand. But these comments were specifically disapproved after moderation by a human.

Theories?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead
What worries me, though, is that if these comments were rejected by the moderation then it seems that Pottermore will continue to heavily limit interaction among the users. I understand they do not want it to become a social network site or forums, but for all the emphasis they place on friends and comments I would think they would have laxer rules about commenting.

I think you may be onto something here. I think most of these comments were responses to comments made by other posters, rather than comments made strictly in isolation by me.

However, I think other comments of mine that have responded to other posters have been approved before. So I'm just not finding much consistency.

I saw the list of comments that had been disapproved after moderation when I logged on this morning, and the first thing I thought was: "If moderation is so seemingly arbitrary, why post at all?"

IronBellyDragon November 5th, 2011 11:06 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver ink pot (Post 5921700)
This might cheer you up ~ I'll be 60!!! :lol: And so will alot of people. :rotfl:

Including me! :rotfl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccollinsmith (Post 5921755)
However, I think other comments of mine that have responded to other posters have been approved before. So I'm just not finding much consistency.

Same here. I have seen some of my comments go immediately through and others -- using similar language except for perhaps an addition of punctuation, such as a dash -- get caught for moderation and then disapproved. Makes little sense.

It also seems that such an approach does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about any type of commentary/communication system being implemented in the future. First of all, it runs contrary to what JKR outlined the site would be in the first place. Second, it seems that "they" (especially Sony) need to make money off of this somehow, and there would likely be a need for sales of e-books to be offered over any type of running commentary system.

RemusLupinFan November 5th, 2011 11:46 pm

I have not even bothered to comment on the site at all, mainly because of the moderation issues I keep hearing about. Frankly I didn't feel it was worth my time to type something if it wasn't going to appear. I am at a loss as to why ccollinsmith's comments wouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately I forgot to include this problem in my comments at the end of the beta survey.

captain_mills November 6th, 2011 1:11 am

lol, all this talk of age is hilarious! If they release the books the way you folks say they might, then I'd be 43 when they're done...

Anyways, after creating a few wands for some clients of mine, I went ahead and took some real spruce I had in the woodpile and created my very own Pottermore wand. It's the one PM says Ollivander chose for me.

http://www.teachanddiscover.net/wands/shop/SUP1075.jpg

I still need to put the stain and finish on it, but it's otherwise done. I'm waiting for the wand to settle a bit after I put the Unicorn Core inside it (no joke, I really did...). I'll give it a mixed cherry and golden stain finish on it, and put a few coats of beezwax on top. A nice buffing later and I may post a finished pic. I also didn't like the way the wand twisted and bent in PM, so I left mine straight. Spruce and Unicorn Hair, 10 3/4 inches, hard!

BronzeDragon November 6th, 2011 2:07 am

Yeah, I really laughed at the concept of calling Pottermore a "social networking site" when the Sony survey mentioned it and told them that, given the current system, there's no point in having social interaction at all except for dueling. It's completely stupid: they should at least implement a PM system or a forum for people over a certain age.

OT: I wish I could actually get a wand in my wand-wood, but elder (as in actual elder, and not box elder, which is ash) is apparently hard to get.

Justincase November 6th, 2011 2:10 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_mills (Post 5922023)
lol, all this talk of age is hilarious! If they release the books the way you folks say they might, then I'd be 43 when they're done...

Anyways, after creating a few wands for some clients of mine, I went ahead and took some real spruce I had in the woodpile and created my very own Pottermore wand. It's the one PM says Ollivander chose for me.

http://www.teachanddiscover.net/wands/shop/SUP1075.jpg

I still need to put the stain and finish on it, but it's otherwise done. I'm waiting for the wand to settle a bit after I put the Unicorn Core inside it (no joke, I really did...). I'll give it a mixed cherry and golden stain finish on it, and put a few coats of beezwax on top. A nice buffing later and I may post a finished pic. I also didn't like the way the wand twisted and bent in PM, so I left mine straight. Spruce and Unicorn Hair, 10 3/4 inches, hard!

Wow :wow: do you really make wands? That's incredible:D I wish I had one of those...

captain_mills November 6th, 2011 2:52 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BronzeDragon (Post 5922239)
OT: I wish I could actually get a wand in my wand-wood, but elder (as in actual elder, and not box elder, which is ash) is apparently hard to get.

I have a supplier for elderberry, which is as close as it's gonna get basically...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justincase
Wow do you really make wands? That's incredible I wish I had one of those...

Not supposed to sell or pitch here... it's against the rules... but can I simply say, "Check out my sig?"

Justincase November 6th, 2011 3:25 am

Oh well.. I've checked your site and I only want more to have one. But providing that I live out of the states... It'd probably be too expensive. But your wands are incredible. Keep working like that:d

snapes_witch November 6th, 2011 3:33 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisl_Loveheart (Post 5921534)
My Pottermore page now says "Once you have friends you can follow what they do" or something along those lines LOL But my friends list was not erased, so it looks like there are still glitches after the technical work they have done.

Huh, I've always been able to follow what my friends are doing . . .

Shannon_Grint November 6th, 2011 3:43 am

Hi, y'all!
Not sure if this is completely on-topic for this thread (I read the rules and it was still a little unclear to me) so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I see a lot of people on Twitter and other places saying that Pottermore has changed quite a lot for them. I got on just now and found that it isn't really that much different. I went to some of the moments/chapters but didn't see anything that sticks out that wasn't there when I did it before. I was just wondering if anyone else's experience is the same or if most people have noticed big changes. Thanks!

JohnnyBeGood November 6th, 2011 4:16 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fools_Gold (Post 5877715)
FIRST yay!

Anyways, I've temporarily given up on Pottermore, at least until my potions are sorted or duelling is back up.

Same here. I keep melting my cauldrons (clumsy me, I've already had to buy two new cauldrons) and I'd like to try my hand at duelling.

captain_mills November 6th, 2011 4:44 am

I have not noticed any difference either... Nothing new except a bit more stringent on the moderation of posts and such in the common room...

JohnnyBeGood November 6th, 2011 6:10 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_mills (Post 5922466)
I have not noticed any difference either... Nothing new except a bit more stringent on the moderation of posts and such in the common room...

Even more stringent moderation of posts? Boy oh boy. Mind you, I never got why some posts were held for moderation, couldn't determine the reason. I stopped posting in the Common Room because I never got to see my posts, and very rarely saw a direct response.

I visited Pottermore a couple hours ago and didn't notice any difference. I can't tell about the Common Room because I didn't post there. Just checked up on my friends, got and sent a couple of gifts. Stayed away from Potions. :scared:

Kathleen Malfoy November 6th, 2011 7:55 am

When the site was down for maintenance for a few days, that was my best hope of getting my potion glitch fixed(it's been frozen since August 27).

However, my dreams were shattered...it's still frozen.

I think I'll probably just have to make a new account when the site opens to new accounts.

*sigh*

Sphereness November 6th, 2011 8:27 am

Does anyone know, by the way, how long it takes Pottermore to approve a drawing? I submitted one around the dawn of time - but I never heard any more about it. The relevant box on my profile just says "you haven't submitted any drawings yet". Does anyone know?

Arya_ November 6th, 2011 10:24 am

I'm still very dissapointed that pottermore has not approved my art yet, even though others have.