Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Post DH References (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.10 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=119389)

Moriath February 12th, 2009 9:15 pm

Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.10

Welcome to the 10th instalment of this thread! I double-checked, it's really the 10th version. :scared:

For background reading and reference:
version one
version two
version three
version four
version five
version six
version seven
version eight
version nine

A new quotation to get this thread started:

This time from GoF:    

Perhaps Dumbledore was in the staffroom? He started running as fast as he could toward the staircase -

"POTTER!"

Harry skidded to a halt and looked around. Snape had just emerged from the hidden staircase behind the stone gargoyle. The wall was sliding shut behind him even as he beckoned Harry back toward him.

"What are you doing here, Potter?"

"I need to see Professor Dumbledore!" said Harry, running back up the corridor and skidding to a standstill in front of Snape instead. "It's Mr. Crouch . . . he's just turned up ... he's in the forest... he's asking -"

"What is this rubbish?" said Snape, his black eyes glittering. "What are you talking about?"

"Mr. Crouch!" Harry shouted. "From the Ministry! He's ill or something - he's in the forest, he wants to see Dumbledore! Just give me the password up to -"

"The headmaster is busy, Potter," said Snape, his thin mouth curling into an unpleasant smile.

"I've got to tell Dumbledore!" Harry yelled.

"Didn't you hear me. Potter?"

Harry could tell Snape was thoroughly enjoying himself, denying Harry the thing he wanted when he was so panicky.

"Look," said Harry angrily, "Crouch isn't right - he's - he's out of his mind - he says he wants to warn -"

The stone wall behind Snape slid open. Dumbledore was standing there, wearing long green robes and a mildly curious expression. "Is there a problem?" he said, looking between Harry and Snape.

"Professor!" Harry said, sidestepping Snape before Snape could speak, "Mr. Crouch is here - he's down in the forest, he wants to speak to you!"

Harry expected Dumbledore to ask questions, but to his relief, Dumbledore did nothing of the sort.

"Lead the way," he said promptly, and he swept off along the corridor behind Harry, leaving Snape standing next to the gargoyle and looking twice as ugly.

• Do you interpret this scene differently after DH?
  • What do you think was Snape's main motivation in this scene?
  • Do you think that Snape was really enjoying the situation, as Harry surmised?

Old and new study questions:
  1. Based on how his character is supposed to end up: if you could change/improve one thing about Snape, what would it be?
  2. What do you think Snape would have done, if he had survived DH?
  3. Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?
  4. Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?
  5. Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius.
  6. Why do you think Snape chose to become a Death Eater?
  7. How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?
  8. What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Voldemort had targeted with the prophecy?
  9. What do you think of Snape's actions after Lily's death. How do you think this death has affected his character?
  10. What do you think are Snape's major strengths? What are his major flaws?
  11. Do you believe Snape came to care about Harry?
  12. What do you think about Snape's relationship with Dumbledore? Did they become friends or was Dumbledore a substitute father figure for him?
  13. Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere?
  14. There are all kinds of bravery in this series, what characteristics of Snape's make him brave? In what sense is he a hero?

AS THIS IS STILL A HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL AND SENSITIVE TOPIC WE WOULD LIKE TO ASK EVERYONE TO PLEASE BE SENSITIVE TO OTHERS OPINIONS. THIS MEANS NO GLOATING AS WELL AS NO BASHING. CONSEQUENCES WILL BE SEVERE.

Additionally please read How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic and Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray BEFORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD

Now go on and have fun! :)

Yoana February 17th, 2009 9:33 am

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriath (Post 5234058)
Welcome to the 10th instalment of this thread! I double-checked, it's really the 10th version. :scared:

:lol:

Quote:

A new quotation to get this thread started:
This time from GoF:    

Perhaps Dumbledore was in the staffroom? He started running as fast as he could toward the staircase -

"POTTER!"

Harry skidded to a halt and looked around. Snape had just emerged from the hidden staircase behind the stone gargoyle. The wall was sliding shut behind him even as he beckoned Harry back toward him.

"What are you doing here, Potter?"

"I need to see Professor Dumbledore!" said Harry, running back up the corridor and skidding to a standstill in front of Snape instead. "It's Mr. Crouch . . . he's just turned up ... he's in the forest... he's asking -"

"What is this rubbish?" said Snape, his black eyes glittering. "What are you talking about?"

"Mr. Crouch!" Harry shouted. "From the Ministry! He's ill or something - he's in the forest, he wants to see Dumbledore! Just give me the password up to -"

"The headmaster is busy, Potter," said Snape, his thin mouth curling into an unpleasant smile.

"Didn't you hear me. Potter?"

Harry could tell Snape was thoroughly enjoying himself, denying Harry the thing he wanted when he was so panicky.

"Look," said Harry angrily, "Crouch isn't right - he's - he's out of his mind - he says he wants to warn -"

The stone wall behind Snape slid open. Dumbledore was standing there, wearing long green robes and a mildly curious expression. "Is there a problem?" he said, looking between Harry and Snape.

"Professor!" Harry said, sidestepping Snape before Snape could speak, "Mr. Crouch is here - he's down in the forest, he wants to speak to you!"

Harry expected Dumbledore to ask questions, but to his relief, Dumbledore did nothing of the sort.

"Lead the way," he said promptly, and he swept off along the corridor behind Harry, leaving Snape standing next to the gargoyle and looking twice as ugly.

• Do you interpret this scene differently after DH?
  • What do you think was Snape's main motivation in this scene?
  • Do you think that Snape was really enjoying the situation, as Harry surmised?

Yes, I think Snape was enjoying the situation just like Harry thought. I suppose Snape knew Dumbledore was coming down anyway, and used the time until he appeared to taunt Harry.

Quote:

Based on how his character is supposed to end up: if you could change/improve one thing about Snape, what would it be?
Nothing. He's a great literary creation as he is.

Quote:

What do you think Snape would have done, if he had survived DH?
I don't know... I suppose he'd have continued teaching DADA, or retired and lead a quiet life with his books.

Quote:

Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?
Not entirely. And I don't think they're even comparable, our opinions, because she speaks and analyses him as the creator, and I speak as a reader. She gives her intention, and I give my impression. We stand in completely different positions.

Quote:

Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?
Yes, I do believe he would have. Lily's life being in danger wasn't a character-changer, it was merely a catalyst, in my opinion.

arithmancer February 17th, 2009 1:51 pm

Thanks, Moriath, for the shiny new thread and poll! (the Sev pet question was getting old... ;) ) I voted for every option except "To prevent others from vindicating him". "Something completely different" would be because Snape is a fascinating character to discuss, one of my very favorites and I don't just mean in HP. His story is not only central to the series plot, it develops some of the big themes in the series.

ignisia February 17th, 2009 2:18 pm

Woohoo! Version 10! :clap: We are awesome to have got this far!

I'd pick "To vindicate him" if he actually needed it. The books were pretty clear on his loyalties and such, actually. :lol: I haven't voted yet, but I'll get around to it...someday.

I'm pretty much here because I'm an argumentative brat--*ahem* I mean, Snape is a pretty interesting guy to discuss. He is one of those who can be interpreted in several different ways while still being canon-compliant. Plus, it's always fun to try and unravel different scenes and see what's going on in his head in each. Because he really does hide his innermost thoughts and feelings a lot, being a spy and all. He's a puzzle you could spend years trying to solve.

As for the GoF Scene-
I looked over the scene and drew the same conclusions as Yoana. It looked like Snape wanted to keep Harry right where he was until Dumbledore came down, and couldn't resist provoking a panicky Harry in order to do so.

I do wonder, though, what he and Dumbledore had been discussing before Snape came down from his office. We'll probably never know if it was Order business or something else. :sigh:

Pearl_Took February 17th, 2009 2:20 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriath (Post 5234058)

*gives the mods a nice soothing cup of herbal tea* :D

I love the poll! :lol: I ticked quite a few options. ;) Oh, and Snape makes me do it. :yuhup:

The scene from GoF:

Do you interpret this scene differently after DH?

Not really.

But I began to interpret Snape's character differently after I'd finished reading GoF. :cool: I always suspected there was more to him that met the eye, that he was much more than the teacher who's mean to Harry.

What do you think was Snape's main motivation in this scene?

I am sure he realised that whatever was making Harry panic was probably important. No doubt he would have alerted Dumbledore himself about Harry's message, or, as Ignisia says (and this seems more likely) waited until Dumbledore himself emerged. But he just can't resist making life difficult for James's son. :sigh:

Do you think that Snape was really enjoying the situation, as Harry surmised?

Oh, undoubtedly. :whistle:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignisia (Post 5236662)
I do wonder, though, what he and Dumbledore had been discussing before Snape came down from his office. We'll probably never know if it was Order business or something else. :sigh:

Good point, Iggy. :tu: There is so much going on behind the scenes that I'd love to know about ...

The_Green_Woods February 17th, 2009 3:01 pm

:clap: :clap: GO SNAPE! :love: 10th version. :wow:

I voted for everything except the first 2. I loved the option "If I stop HP will be truly over! *clings*" :lol:

Labrynth February 17th, 2009 3:42 pm

I think Snape enjoyed himself and I'd like to think he knew Dumbledore was on the way and that there wasn't really going to be a loss for time if it was as important as Harry obviously thought it was. However I also have to consider that Harry was right and that Snape really just wanted to make him squirm a bit. One would think that the mention of Crouch would have at least set up a warning flag in his head given that he was playing both sides and probably knew a lot more than Harry did.

Kat_Suki February 17th, 2009 3:47 pm

You know, I always felt that Snape was enjoying himself at that time but I also always felt from that scene that Dumbledore was actually 'busy' doing something of importance in the office and that Snape was stalling Harry off because of it.

wickedwickedboy February 17th, 2009 4:22 pm

Quote:

Do you interpret this scene differently after DH?
I don't see how DH could have any impact on this scene. Ah, perhaps if one thought Snape was on Voldy's side back then it would. But I didn't.

Quote:

What do you think was Snape's main motivation in this scene?
To behave in a bullying manner toward Harry, as he did at every opportunity.

I used to believe he actually would look at Harry and see his old enemy. But today I decided that Snape would have to be actually psychotic if that were the case. So now I understand the canon to mean that while Snape began by unfairly transfering his feelings of dislike on Harry and hating him - what happened is that he began to truly hate Harry. So everything Harry did, I feel Snape just looked on it in a negative manner, placing the worst constructions on his actions. While some things would conjure up memories of his old enemy and make it simple (because he hated the dad too) for the most part, he just construed everything Harry did (who he likely saw more of) as having a bad motive and wrongful in some way. But it wasn't so much to justify his behavior - because he would treat all of the children in a similar manner - but rather to justify his original hatred which had been unfair in nature.

I don't think he hated all the kids, so I don't believe his behavior toward all of them included hate. But it did in the case of Harry and I think this added a need to mischaracterize everything Harry said and did that was not facially hateable into something that Snape could find hateful - and if it happened to be something his dad might do (i.e., play Quidditch), then it just made it easier because he'd already come to hate someone for those things and would not have to find a basis in his mind.

And that is my new psychological understanding of Snape. :lol:.

Quote:

Do you think that Snape was really enjoying the situation, as Harry surmised?
Yes he was, hence his denials and his mouth curling into an unplesant smile. Plus, the canon reads that Harry could tell he was enjoying himself. These little things were never explained in any other way and there was no reason for Snape to behave that way at all under the circumstances, imo.

I disagree Snape thought Dumbledore was coming down. My understanding was that Dumbledore was retired in his rooms to whatever he was doing. Dumbledore knew when people came to his doorway - he had to. So he came of his own accord based on Harry's worry or presence, imo. He obviously had no business with Snape at that point according to my interpretation.

Snape couldn't know that he was hindering the correction of some evil deal - and this is an example of his placing the worst construction on Harry's behavior and motive in order to justify his hatred which again, he didn't need to treat Harry in a bullying manner, but he would need, imo, to treat him with the extra disregard and disrespect he was showing here - which he may not have done with other kids. With other kids (non-Slytherins), I feel he would have still behaved nastily, but he would have likely showed less disregard and disdain for them, imo.

arithmancer February 17th, 2009 4:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat_Suki (Post 5236725)
You know, I always felt that Snape was enjoying himself at that time but I also always felt from that scene that Dumbledore was actually 'busy' doing something of importance in the office and that Snape was stalling Harry off because of it.

I agree with this. I see echoes in this scene of Harry's PS/SS interaction with McGonagall, when he was worried that Snape was going after the Philosopher's Stone.

PS/SS"We want to see Professor Dumbledore," said Hermione, rather bravely, Harry and Ron thought.

"See Professor Dumbledore?" Professor McGonagall repeated, as though this was a very fishy thing to want to do. "Why?"

Harry swallowed -- now what?

"It's sort of secret," he said, but he wished at once he hadn't, because Professor McGonagall's nostrils flared.

"Professor Dumbledore left ten minutes ago," she said coldly. "He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and flew off for London at once."

"He's gone?" said Harry frantically. "Now?"

"Professor Dumbledore is a very great wizard, Potter, he has many demands on his time --

"But this is important."

"Something you have to say is more important than the Ministry of Magic, Potter.

"Look," said Harry, throwing caution to the winds, "Professor -- it's about the Sorcerer's Stone --"

Whatever Professor McGonagall had expected, it wasn't that. The books she was carrying tumbled out of her arms, but she didn't pick them up. "How do you know --?" she spluttered.

"Professor, I think -- I know -- that Sn- that someone's going to try and steal the Stone. I've got to talk to Professor Dumbledore."

She eyed him with a mixture of shock and suspicion.

"Professor Dumbledore will be back tomorrow," she said finally. I don't know how you found out about the Stone, but rest assured, no one can possibly steal it, it's too well protected."

I am not so sure that enjoyment was Snape's number one priority in this scene, either. I think that (like McGonagall in the scene above when Harry insisted his reasons were a secret) he wanted to know what it was that Harry thought was so important.

GoF"What is this rubbish?" said Snape, his black eyes glittering. "What are you talking about?"

This seems to me to be a straightforward, if less than friendly, request for information.

TreacleTartlet February 17th, 2009 5:04 pm

Oooh... a shiny new version!!! :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignisia (Post 5236662)
As for the GoF Scene-
I looked over the scene and drew the same conclusions as Yoana. It looked like Snape wanted to keep Harry right where he was until Dumbledore came down, and couldn't resist provoking a panicky Harry in order to do so.

Yeah, I agree with,Yoana too! Harry couldn't get past the gargoyle and was running off to search for Dumbledore in the staff room, when Snape emerged from the gargoyle and called him back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy (Post 5236748)
Dumbledore knew when people came to his doorway - he had to. So he came of his own accord based on Harry's worry or presence, imo. He obviously had no business with Snape at that point according to my interpretation.

Hmm...I don't think we are given any evidence that Dumbledore knew when people approached the gargoyle. Actually, in one instance, Dumbledore didn't even know Harry was standing right outside his office door until Moody told him.

Kat_Suki February 17th, 2009 5:21 pm

As to enjoyment, it was more the 'glittering eyes' the 'unpleasant smile' and then 'looking twice as ugly' {hah, I just got that...Snape looked 'twice as ugly as the gargoyle'} that I'm referring to. Sheesh, I've read these books numerous times and still find things on rereads.

The 'glittering eyes' either indicate irritation, anger, quiet happiness, or pleasure in Snape, at least that's how it always appears to me. The 'unpleasant smile' is also a standard whenever he's talking to or taunting Harry. And then the irritation he had when Dumbledore instantly addressed Harry's concerns and trotted off with him...these things seem to indicate that Snape was enjoying keeping Harry stymied at the gargoyle.

I agree though, that this instance is similar to McGonagall's reaction to Harry's request(s) to see Dumbledore and not overly insulting or aggressive. The only difference though, is that in the two instances Harry makes the request to McGonagall {Philosopher's Stone and the Prince, I believe} Dumbledore is truly unavailable due to not even being at the castle and in this instance Dumbledore is in the castle, though occupied. Obviously whatever Dumbledore was doing could have been interrupted, as he came down from his office and made inquiry...but I always wondered just what exactly Dumbledore had been up to in the office.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet (Post 5236776)
Hmm...I don't think we are given any evidence that Dumbledore knew when people approached the gargoyle. Actually, in one instance, Dumbledore didn't even know Harry was standing right outside his office door until Moody told him.

Just the once, I think, when we see him set Fawkes to spy and send signal if Delores was about.

arithmancer February 17th, 2009 5:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat_Suki (Post 5236791)
The 'glittering eyes' either indicate irritation, anger, quiet happiness, or pleasure in Snape, at least that's how it always appears to me.

Which of these do you suggest Snape was feeling as he set out for his meeting with Voldmeort at the end of GoF? Persoanlly, I don't think any of them fit. To me a seriousness of intent fits more. Which would be consistent both with setting out on one of his more dangerous missions, and with wanting to know about trouble on the school grounds that Snape might then deal with himself, or deal with along with Albus.

Quote:

And then the irritation he had when Dumbledore instantly addressed Harry's concerns and trotted off with him...these things seem to indicate that Snape was enjoying keeping Harry stymied at the gargoyle.
Or Snape still wants to know what is going on, but he's not invited along. ;)

To be clear, I am not suggesting Snape did not enjoy the scene at all. I am merely suggesting his behavior was not primarily motivated by wanting to irritate Harry. To the extent to which he might have enjoyed it, I see this as having been a fringe benefit. :lol:

Quote:

Obviously whatever Dumbledore was doing could have been interrupted, as he came down from his office and made inquiry...but I always wondered just what exactly Dumbledore had been up to in the office.
But I think both Minerva in that scene, and Snape in the GoF one we are discussing, would have wanted to be the judges of whether bothering Albus was really necessary.

My guess as to what Albus was up to, is using the Pensieve. He had just been speaking to Snape (obviously, as Snape exited the office when Harry ran by). I think Snape made some sort of report to him concerning the Dark Mark, or Karkaroff, or a similar matter of possible bearing on the mystery that troubled Albus, and Albus was using the Pensieve to consider some memory or other in light of the new information.

wickedwickedboy February 17th, 2009 5:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet (Post 5236776)

I think the evidence is provided in the scene itself.

TreacleTartlet February 17th, 2009 5:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat_Suki (Post 5236791)
Just the once, I think, when we see him set Fawkes to spy and send signal if Delores was about.

Ah... yes, you are right we do! :) Although, in this case it is a rather unusual set of circumstances and he was expecting Delores. I am just not to sure Dumbledore would use this method on a more general day to day basis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zgirnius (Post 5236803)
My guess as to what Albus was up to, is using the Pensieve. He had just been speaking to Snape (obviously, as Snape exited the office when Harry ran by). I think Snape made some sort of report to him concerning the Dark Mark, or Karkaroff, or a similar matter of possible bearing on the mystery that troubled Albus, and Albus was using the Pensieve to consider some memory or other in light of the new information.

That would be my guess also! :D

Kat_Suki February 17th, 2009 5:59 pm

Quote:

Which of these do you suggest Snape was feeling as he set out for his meeting with Voldmeort at the end of GoF?

Strictly my opinion, I think he was nervous, but that the strange glittering eyes was for quiet happiness/pleasure. Not to be putting his neck on the line, or facing imminent death but to be taking that first real step in many long, lingering years to bring down the man who'd murder Lily.

wickedwickedboy February 17th, 2009 6:03 pm

Quote:

To be clear, I am not suggesting Snape did not enjoy the scene at all. I am merely suggesting his behavior was not primarily motivated by wanting to irritate Harry. To the extent to which he might have enjoyed it, I see this as having been a fringe benefit. :lol:

Well canon doesn't provide anything else - unless we dig around to find it. Snape could have been thinking one of a million things - all of which we can consign to him. One could say that what we got was from Harry's view, and that is true, but he actually did feel it. Snape's motivation is clear to me because he knows the child is in a panic and does nothing to relieve it, but adds to it instead. He does inquire of Harry what the problem is, but after being told, he was no more helpful or consoling.

Snape is not and never purported to be Dumbledore's watchdog or protector. He was well aware that Dumbledore required no such thing. If Harry Potter - and I name him because of all of the special circumstances that surrounded his life and which Snape was well aware of - is requesting to see Dumbledore (something he did not do day in and day out), then the matter should be given the attention it deserves.

FROM THE CANON:

Didn't you hear me. Potter?"

-END-

The sentences highlighted in red are indicative of Snape's disregard and disrespect for Harry and what he was trying to say. Snape's response makes one wonder why he even bothered to ask what the problem was. That Crouch is sick in the forest seems not to matter to Snape at all, despite the dangers there and the fact that a human is evidently suffering in some regard. Does he think Harry is lying? Wouldn't he get slammed by Dumbledore later if that was the case? of course, so there was no reason not to allow him to speak to Dumbledore or suggest that he himself would take matters in hand and attempt to help Crouch. Standing there with his curling lips and aggressively disregarding speech was enough to tell any reasonable child that Snape was disregarding of humanity and having a good time bullying him in a circumstance where there were much more important things to be worrying about - clearly a human being suffering in a dangerous place is enough information for Snape to act on, imo. That is definitely important enough to interrupt Dumbledore in whatever he is doing - or at the very least take command and move to rescue/help Crouch. If it is all lies, then he has an even greater basis for torturing Harry later - but instead he misconstructs Harry's character as I stated above, imo, and then in what to me is an unbelievable act of arrogance, ignores him and instead takes pleasure in causing Harry's panic to increase - all of this in the face of a man's life quite possibly in terrible danger.

LyraLovegood February 17th, 2009 6:31 pm

I never thought of this before, but (from the v9 thread):

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labrynth
He might not have been able to complete what he had been trying to do, which I'm guessing was completely remove the curse that had been placed (Or was being placed?) on Harry's broom, but without his actions we don't know that Harry wouldn't have taken a header into the ground at 200mph.

What if Snape was trying to partially counter the curse, so that Harry would not fall off his broom and die, but would also not catch then Snitch and win the game for Gryffindor? This would be most unfair, but we all know that Snape is unfair in favoring Slytherins over Gryffindor especially.

Kat_Suki February 17th, 2009 6:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyraLovegood (Post 5236837)
I never thought of this before, but (from the v9 thread):

What if Snape was trying to partially counter the curse, so that Harry would not fall off his broom and die, but would also not catch then Snitch and win the game for Gryffindor? This would be most unfair, but we all know that Snape is unfair in favoring Slytherins over Gryffindor especially.

I don't think that the game was registering in Snape's mind at the moment. He had much more important things to worry about. All of his concentration was focused on Harry at that time, so much so he didn't realize he was on fire.

:lol: I think the game in which Snape showed his prejudice was when he took over from Hooch, but he'd also taken that task with the intent to stay closer to Harry in the case of any further broom tampering occurred.

Bscorp February 17th, 2009 6:42 pm

I have always wondered what Snape and DD might be discussing just before that scene in GOF. I had always assumed that Dumbledore was in the middle of something that could not be interrupted. Perhaps there were people or things in the office Harry was not to see.

In any event DD did come out soon enough.

Something that occurred to me upon re-reading this bit of GOF - regarding this scene was Snape's concern about the creation and use of Polyjuice. Snape knew someone was being impersonated inside the castle- and he also knew the Dark Lord was making a comeback so he needed to mark his words and deed carefully from this point on.