Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Muggle Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Newt Scamander Film Casting, Cast and Cameos (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=132235)

skullangel September 12th, 2013 10:50 pm

Newt Scamander Film Casting, Cast and Cameos

Who are your picks? No script yet but based on the current crop I have some Ideas...

I have 4 Picks...

http://images.fanpop.com/images/imag...1_1024_768.jpg
Of course Evanna... Cant be one without her... Either as a Cameo or a full role playing a Lovegood Ancestor, though if she plays an ancestor she has to play it less Luna and more like some else. Perhaps... She could be The "Hermione" on this one

http://images.fanpop.com/images/imag...1_1024_768.jpg Darren Criss, can't get Danny Radcliffe in... So why not get someone similar...

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploa...ardy-image.jpg
Then you need an authority figure... May I present Tom "Bane" Hardy in a beard!

http://www.mckellen.com/images/3046.jpg
Now you need a "Dumbledore" Who else But Ian Mckellen

For Cameos... I'll post mine later...

ccollinsmith September 13th, 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Newt Scamander Film Casting, Cast and Cameos

Which Dumbledore? Albus' father died in Azkaban, and he was probably dead by the 1910s-1920s (roughly 75 years before HP). There doesn't seem to have been any other family for Kendra or Albus to turn to, so an older Dumbledore does not seem like a promising idea to me. A cameo by a youngish Albus or Aberforth might be nice though... but not in the first film, I think. That is something I would save for further down the line.

Wab September 13th, 2013 8:00 pm

I think the best course would be to steer clear of any casting associations as cameos can smack of desperation at times.

ccollinsmith September 13th, 2013 11:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wab (Post 6078720)
I think the best course would be to steer clear of any casting associations as cameos can smack of desperation at times.

I certainly agree for the first film. For the rest... depends on the over-arching plot and the context.

Horcri7 September 14th, 2013 6:28 pm

It'd be kind of hard to fit many old characters in these movies, simply because they're in New York. I could see a young Albus Dumbledore being in it--maybe before Newt leaves for America?

The big questions is, who should play Newt?--seeing as he's the only character we actually know is in the movie.

JKR said that the movie would take place 70 years before the HP books, which puts it in the 1920s. Newt Scamander was born in 1897, so he would be in his 20s in the '20s. What young actors could we see playing him?

I'll venture Matt Smith, just to get it out of the way...

SwedishSkinJer September 14th, 2013 7:42 pm

I think someone like Tom Hiddleston would be an ideal choice for the role of Newt. He has a real charm and intelligence that I think would fit the character well. After playing Loki, he's definitely a rising star and has enough name recognition. James McAvoy would be an interesting choice too.

FurryDice September 14th, 2013 8:29 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wab (Post 6078720)

I agree. I think I would find it hard to take the story seriously if there were cameos from HP actors. There would be no reason for it other than fan-service, and yeah, IMO, that is desperation, if they want to draw in audiences by advertising that X, Y or Z from the HP films is doing a cameo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horcri7 (Post 6078762)
It'd be kind of hard to fit many old characters in these movies, simply because they're in New York. I could see a young Albus Dumbledore being in it--maybe before Newt leaves for America?

Possible. I think a character cameo can be done more credibly than an actor cameo. But the only characters who were alive and old enough in the 20s were Dumbledore and maybe Auntie Muriel.

Quote:

The big questions is, who should play Newt?--seeing as he's the only character we actually know is in the movie.
He is, but we know next to nothing about him, except that he was in his 20s in the 20s, as you say. So appearance-wise, any actor who appears to be in his 20s could play him. That leaves casting wide open, IMO. Was he British or American? I thought I'd heard he was a Hufflepuff. :hmmm:

RikuStark September 15th, 2013 12:07 am

I'm all for James McAvoy or Colin Morgan for Newt, but I doubt it'll be either of them.

Wab September 15th, 2013 12:59 am

Simon Pegg or Martin Freeman.

Horcri7 September 15th, 2013 4:00 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FurryDice (Post 6078765)
He is, but we know next to nothing about him, except that he was in his 20s in the 20s, as you say. So appearance-wise, any actor who appears to be in his 20s could play him. That leaves casting wide open, IMO. Was he British or American? I thought I'd heard he was a Hufflepuff. :hmmm:

He went to Hogwarts and worked for the Ministry of Magic according to the "About the Author" in Fantastic Beasts, so I'm pretty sure he's British. But yeah, we know nothing about his personality or looks or anything like that.

Still, wild speculation is fun.

Wab: I could definitely see Simon Pegg!

IenjoyAcidPops September 15th, 2013 6:01 am

I wouldn't even know how to begin fantasy casting this - except to mention the few notable British actors who weren't involved in the main Harry Potter series. :lol:

Jonny Boy September 17th, 2013 3:21 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wab (Post 6078771)
Simon Pegg or Martin Freeman.

After seeing him in the Hobbit I think Martin Freeman would be perfect. He was very good as an adventurer and I see this being a similar role, although maybe a bit more serious.

IenjoyAcidPops September 17th, 2013 4:14 am

Perhaps we can just pilfer the cast of The World's End? Most of them weren't in any Harry Potter movies.

leah49 September 17th, 2013 9:01 pm

How old is Newt Scamander supposed to be?

IenjoyAcidPops September 17th, 2013 11:11 pm

Mid-20s, I believe.

Arya_ September 22nd, 2013 9:25 am

What does Newt Scamander look like?

I think that all actors associated with the HP series should not be in the films.

I would pick Richard Madden for the role.

Rank September 24th, 2013 2:19 am

Who do you think would be a good choice as director? Someone who's already worked on the Harry Potter series or someone new?

mirrormere September 24th, 2013 2:51 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rank (Post 6079051)
Who do you think would be a good choice as director? Someone who's already worked on the Harry Potter series or someone new?

Someone new, I think. If it's going to be in New York and at a different time, I think a new director might give it a fresher feeling.

I'm all for Evanna reprising Luna Lovegood. It would be great to have the story begin with Luna marrying Rolf Scamander. Of course that would need to pull all her friends in and we'd get nearly the whole HP cast showing up. Oh well.

It would be great if Newt helped DD and Fawkes get together - would love to see that! And learn more about phoenixes in general.

twinsrule26 September 24th, 2013 10:54 am

I believe that there will not be any HP era actors in the new movie . The new movie is to start in New York so I don't think we will see any British actors at all.

mirrormere September 24th, 2013 11:21 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsrule26 (Post 6079057)
I believe that there will not be any HP era actors in the new movie . The new movie is to start in New York so I don't think we will see any British actors at all.

Newt is British. And anything can happen in a flashback.