Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101059)

lancane June 1st, 2007 6:24 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

In all truths, I think Harry's death is so foreshadowed that it is a blind man's jump - suspense, the clues to something vastly different to the end means.

His power has proven he can survive, the power the Dark Lord knows not (Love & Caring) - Year One: The Troll - "Many first years would not escape unharmed taking on a full grown mountain troll" - Minerva, Quarrell - His touch by his mothers love; which his own love and caring, though he should have died led to a different conclusion then should happen. Year Two: the chamber of secrets, the spiders, the basalisk, saving Ginny, again same thing...and so on, Talweny may have some ability, I do not believe she is a poor seer, I just think it is all for not.

My theory is that Harry will go into the veil with Voldemort, but he will return - he will pass into death's realm, he will though once again survive, due to his power of love, and those whom love him. She will be right and wrong, as she has proven to be on more then one occasion.

hermione007 June 1st, 2007 7:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moldywart (Post 4542181)
Harry will die...because Prof. Trelawney says so. Think I'm nuts, read on...

I believe that there is much more to Divination and Prof. Trelawney than the trio thinks. If you follow the belief, as I do, that Hermione is always right and Ron is always wrong in their predictions unless Ron is joking or Hermione is letting her emotions get the best of her, then you will see that their opinion of Trelawney and Divination is grossly inaccurate. Remember that after being insulted in POA, Hermione (letting her emotions control her) drops Trelawney's class because there is no scientific proof that Divination is real magic. We think Trelawny is a joke because she is always predicting death and horrible things, but is it just a coincidence that death and bad things tend to happen in the HP series??? If you believe that there is no such thing as a coincidence in JKR's writing, then there has to be another explanation - Trelawney's predictions are accurate.

In POA, she accurately continues to see the Grim when looking at Harry's future. The grim was a big black dog that was in fact stalking and did have a confrontation with Harry (Sirius). She accurately predicts that Umbridge is "in grave danger" and she senses, "something that concerns you (Umbridge)...something dark...some grave peril".(OOTP, p. 315) We know that Umbridge did indeed find herself in "grave danger" in "something dark" when she was in the forrest getting attacked by centaurs. Now, of course, we dismiss this at the time because Trelawny is a nut. On the same page (OOTP, p. 315) she again predicts Harry's "gruesome and early death". This seems unimportant, because she always predicts Harry's death and because JKR puts it in parenthesis to show that it's not even a lasting thought with Harry. Notice she never says, you will die tomorrow. She says "early death". If Harry does die in the 7th book, I wonder how many people will finally start to believe in Trelawney. My bet is people will still think she is a nut.

What seems odd to me is that her two episodes of true seeing (the prophecy and the dark lord returning to power) seem to be the predictions that would not have come true if she had not foretold them.

Here's a link to another page that kind of confirms that there is more to Divination class than meets the eye:
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....ron+divination

but she also says in ootp that she changes her mind about him dying

snowyowl101 June 3rd, 2007 10:38 pm

i think he will... but i also think LV will 2!!! yea yea i know it defeats the purpose but still it would through a weird twist... dont ya think...

^ --- ^
\ 0 0 /
{ * }

Lillbet June 3rd, 2007 11:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermione007 (Post 4542360)
but she also says in ootp that she changes her mind about him dying

She tells him he'll live a long life and have many children because she knows he helped run off Umbridge. I think this was discussed earlier in the thread. If I can find the quote I will post it.

RemusLupinFan June 4th, 2007 2:36 am

I'm going to be optimistic and say that Harry won't die in Deathly Hallows. Though he faces a dangrous path, I believe he will survive and continue to be the Boy Who Lived, and I choose to believe he will triumph over Voldemort. But just because he lives doesn't mean he'll necessarily have a happy ending.

oneinhufflepuff June 4th, 2007 3:40 am

I think Harry will live but be horribly emotionally scarred. *sniff*

inkling7 June 4th, 2007 2:14 pm

Bloody hell (as Ron would say) many of the youngsters and I mean those under 16 seem to revel in the thought that Harry will die and Voldemort will prevail - I can't think why but do you think they are rebelling against us oldies (those over 16)?

I hope that at least a Frodo (with a romance) type ending will come about - to satisfy many of us but that Ginny's love will be the equivalent of the 'journey to the Havens' type ending of the LOTR and Harry can be healed before he has to make any other journeys to heal his mental and physical wounds.

Spritey June 4th, 2007 3:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkling7 (Post 4547009)
Bloody hell (as Ron would say) many of the youngsters and I mean those under 16 seem to revel in the thought that Harry will die and Voldemort will prevail - I can't think why but do you think they are rebelling against us oldies (those over 16)?

Not at all. I don't in any way think Voldemort will win - I've not really even put much thought to it, since I'm practically certain that Harry will defeat him. To me, Voldemort winning is just... not an option, I guess.

Though I'm sure some people would say that Harry dying would be a victory of sorts for Voldemort, which I'm going to have to preemptively agree to disagree with ^_^ I do however wonder why I can't stay out of threads I ban myself from... *runs away*

Schlubalybub June 4th, 2007 3:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowyowl101 (Post 4545812)
i think he will... but i also think LV will 2!!! yea yea i know it defeats the purpose but still it would through a weird twist... dont ya think...

Hardly...a lot of people also think so- it would make the most sense in my opinion because the way I see it, Voldemort has to die because good must prevail, but Harry also has to die because it would be quite cheesy to have Harry wander off into the sunset with Ginny...

Also, I'm sorry but we don't allow "text typing" here, as there are a lot of people here whose first language isn't English :)

rennedal June 4th, 2007 5:42 pm

Everyone seems to think that Harry might die in Book Seven. Where have we all gotten this idea from? Is it normal for fans to read a book and to worry if the Hero will live or not? I personaly think that he will live, but that upon destroying the Scar Horcrux (cray idea huh?) He will be free at last from his scar and He who must not be named.

Schlubalybub June 4th, 2007 5:49 pm

We have this idea because it is totally possible. It is just as possible for Harry to die as Voldemort.

And no, it's not normal for fans to worry whether the hero will die or not, but this isn't a normal series of books. Remember, Sherlock Holmes died even though he was the hero...JK Rowling even mentioned this in an interview with Richard and Judy on UK television last year (I think) and in this interview she mentioned that Harry COULD die, but she wasn't saying whether he would or not, obviously

flipgirl21 June 4th, 2007 11:19 pm

Soledad O'Brien: I'm going to pose the final question to you and I'd like all three of you to take a stab at it. You can do it in any order that you would like. If you were to have dinner with any five characters from any of your books -- take a moment to think about it -- who would you invite, and why would they be on your list? Any order.
JK Rowling: Well I'd take Harry, to apologize to him (crowd laughs). Um, I'd have to take Harry, Ron and Hermione.
Stephen King: Sure.
JK Rowling: I would - this is - (crown shouts suggestions).
Stephen King: Hagrid, take Hagrid.
JK Rowling: See, I know who's actually dead.
Stephen King: Pretend you can take them anyways.
JK Rowling: Pretend I can take anyone? Well then I would definitely take Dumbledore. I'd take Dumbledore, Harry, Ron, Hermione...and.. (crowd shouts characters) um, Hagrid. I'd take Hagrid, yeah. And Owen because he wouldn't take up much space (crowd laughs). "

Well, in that she says I know who's dead and he said pretend you can take them anyways. So, dumbledore is her answer. So maybe he's not going to die. Well, then again she can't spoil...I mean she's pleaded for peeps not to spoil.

But also, she might want him to die so when she does die :( no one can really take on the series because he's dead unless they like, used another character and blahdey blah blah....but she might not want to cos she'll get fanmail, bad, mean, unhappy fanmail. So, whatever one she chooses will be her destiny. *angels sing*. Sorry... :rotfl:

scienceofsleep June 4th, 2007 11:28 pm

recently since HP7's been coming up lately ive been asking around to see if people think like the topic if he'll survive, and im surprised that more people said that he'd die in book 7. i know its noble and what not, but isnt the point of the series to sort of see harry suceed, defeat lord voldemort and finally live the life he pretty much deserves?. just asking how many people are with me, i totaly think harry will live through the war.

Chrido June 5th, 2007 1:05 am

Quote:

My theory is that Harry will go into the veil with Voldemort, but he will return
I totally agree. I think that at last that will make the difference: Harry, who is not fearing death will meet his parents, Sirius, Dumbledore, Cedric and will decide not to stay with all them he loves. Voldemort, who fears death, will face eternity and have the desire to die. But he won´t be able to. I would like this sort of ending because I agree with Dumbledore that there are many things worse than death.

inkling7 June 5th, 2007 2:43 pm

Yes I suppose Harry could have one of those near-death experiences and pass into the after-life only to be told 'this is not yet your time - go back' etc and then go back. This could be acheived by both Harry and Voldemort going through the veil and only Harry being turned back as it was not yet his time?????

Lillbet June 6th, 2007 3:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkling7 (Post 4549249)
Yes I suppose Harry could have one of those near-death experiences and pass into the after-life only to be told 'this is not yet your time - go back' etc and then go back. This could be acheived by both Harry and Voldemort going through the veil and only Harry being turned back as it was not yet his time?????

Okay, but without anyone actually saying the "It's not your time yet" bit.

alyssareiner June 6th, 2007 3:16 pm

i really, really, really hope not. I would be hugely devasted and dissapointed if he did.

inkling7 June 6th, 2007 4:28 pm

I never mentioned anyone would SAY it's not his time but that it could happen somehow - like a rejection of admittance to a place indicating that his entry was refused for some reason (like not yet being his time). Just like the Chess pieces barred their way( in the Philosophers Stone book) without actually telling the trio they couldn't pass.

Hallows (Deathly or otherwise) don't necessarily speak. Actions speak louder than words.

lancane June 6th, 2007 9:29 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4551246)
Okay, but without anyone actually saying the "It's not your time yet" bit.

I do not think it would really upsurp the messages given so far - in GOF, Harry's Parents came to his aid, in a way. Everyone seems to be rallying to stop his death and push his success, in some form. However, the point is that I could see DD, Sirius and his parents saying it is not your time, or go back...you do not belong here.

I think the whole transgressiveness of the series is that love and good conquers all, Harry dying in order to succeed would be only half of that, and would be pointless - but going to face death and returning because of love crosses both of those bridges...I mean what idiot parent wants their kid to die for a noble cause? Ask the parents whom have lost their kids to the war, if they think it is noble? You may not like the answer, but truth is there is no honor in death - no matter the cause, but to love another, there is honor - that may be why the word shows up more times then not in wedding vows!

Burtn83 June 7th, 2007 2:47 am

I doubt it.

I know J.K.R. has not hesitated in killing off beloved characters, but I just cant see her killing Harry.