Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101059)

remusfan February 9th, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

It's a definite yes for me. It would make the best ending. It's the whole idea of good conquers over evil (Harry destroys Voldemort), but with consequences (Harry dies in the effort of killing him).

kh312 February 9th, 2007 8:10 pm

there is a big possibility that he might...but i don't really think that rowling would do something like that, it goes against all the good that the books stand for.

magicalmysteryg February 9th, 2007 9:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHPFAN (Post 4340575)
I just don't see this happening either. If he dies, I see him dying in battle against Voldemort while defeating him. I don't see the whole sacrifice thing as being a good enough ending in my opinion. Harry has already sacrificed so much (i.e. normal childhood) that to have him sacrifice his life is just not right in my honest opinion. Obiviously, it is possible, but I just can't come to grips, or even see the logic in that happening.

Great point. Harry sacrificing his life seems kind of pointless at this point. He's sacrificed his family, and two of his greatest friends, as well as his childhood, and many years of his life. Sacficing his life seems excessive. Also, it seems so cliched to go the jesus route. I think Rowling is much more creative.

LikeLuna February 10th, 2007 4:34 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarties (Post 4340164)
What a waste of a life it would be if he did die. Spending 10 years with the Dursley's... never having a proper family... spending his Hogwarts years in danger of being killed...

I completely agree. Harry has never been completely happy. His whole life, he's had either the Dursleys locking him in a cupboard, or Voldemort trying to kill him almost nonstop. Every year the other students are constantly talking about him, usually for bad reasons. He's had a really tough life, tougher than even his friends know. It would be so unfair for him to die without having the chance to experience normal life without fear of Voldemort over his shoulder. And maybe this is a bit optimistic of me, but that's why I think Hermione, Ron, and Ginny will live too, because Harry needs them in order to lead a happy life after Voldemort. In any case, I'm 95% sure that Harry will live.

FOREVERPOTTER February 10th, 2007 11:47 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by remusfan (Post 4340677)
It's a definite yes for me. It would make the best ending. It's the whole idea of good conquers over evil (Harry destroys Voldemort), but with consequences (Harry dies in the effort of killing him).

I agree

charlessnider February 10th, 2007 5:28 pm

I think Harry dies, and will sacrifice himself because psychologically, to him, that's the gesture that good wizards commit. His mother and father, Sirius, Dumbledore, Cedric,,,,,,,,,,in some cases tragic ends from fighting evil, and in other cases self-sacrificing gestures in the fight again evil (his mother and perhaps DD.) Voldemort's fixation on staying alive thru the most grotesque means possible vs. Dumbledore's explanation that death is another journey,,,,,,,,the people raising Harry have instilled in him the notion that death may well result from your actions fighting evil,,,and do not fear it.

I would venture to say that this is JKR's thinking as well.

HarryHermione94 February 10th, 2007 6:13 pm

I don't really know if he dies or lives at the end. Yes he has sacrificed so much already but that just seems like his personality. Its seems he has always put other's lives before his. He goes to rescue Ginny from the chamber and so much more. And Voldemort realizing this and tricks Harry into going to save Sirius from the Ministry of Magic. If he dies it will make sense. Perhaps he will think like Dumbledore- Death is a new journey. Another reason he may die is so JKR won't be tempted to write any more books. That would be kinda harsh but it could happen. Just because he is the "Boy who lived" doesn't mean he is going to be the "Boy who lives again". Anything is that is Harry really a horcrux???? I mean if he is he would have to kill himself and someone else would have to kill Voldemort and who would that be? That would devastating because only Hermione and Ron would know why he had to kill himself or else someone else killed him.

Reasons he will live is because like it has been said Good usually defeats Evil. Throughout the books Harry has survived through Voldemort and his followers TRYING to kill him. Like it has been said it wouldn't be fair for him to die but then again life just sometimes isn't fair.I hope he survives,through.

eviljim13 February 10th, 2007 9:34 pm

WOW-so Jo's magic strikes again!!!!She now has many of you convinced of the inevability of Harry's death,most likely by sacrificeing himself so that Voldemort will die and The rest of the Wizarding world will survive!NO!
In order to maintain suspence over the course of 7 books Jo has always had to keep Harry in some degree of peril,often DEADLY peril.After all,who could truly root for a hero whose adventures were of the "lollipop"variety????When the whole thing blew up big and Jo started answering questions in live settings,she automaticaly started to asume a sly posture about wether or not Harry would live or die.Smart.Keep us in a state of guessing.Keep Harry in PERIL.Deathly not Deadly.To have Harry die,especialy in some scenerio where his ultimite sacrifice saves all-well,that's just riding the "cliche train"and I think Jo will do much better.I think Harry will have to go thru more hell than he has yet been thru but get out alive at the other end.I suspect a major twist will occur.But-"The boy who lived"will BE-The BOY(MAN actually)who LIVED!!!!!

Melfina February 10th, 2007 9:43 pm

I firmly believe Harry will not die. I think if he died, it would really ruin the whole series for many people. It would be closure but a very morbid one. I think Rowling likes Harry too much to snuff him out. Yes she had to put him through a pretty bad life and we know others close to Harry will die, but I don't think he will.

crazy4harry23 February 10th, 2007 9:59 pm

I think that Harry will live, because the books have always let a message of hope, and Harry had suffered a lot in the 6 previous books, the least thing he deserves after killing Voldemort his love and a family, and happiness and peace, to be a normal wizard and have a normal life.
I think that if he dies, JK will destroy the message of hope that she has sent in the last books, that no matter what terrible things happens, you can't give up and you have to keep fighting. Hope it's what the world needs now.
Quote:

From magicalmysteryg
Harry sacrificing his life seems kind of pointless at this point. He's sacrificed his family, and two of his greatest friends, as well as his childhood, and many years of his life. Sacficing his life seems excessive. Also, it seems so cliched to go the jesus route. I think Rowling is much more creative.
I agree with that.

eviljim13 February 10th, 2007 10:10 pm

Harry faces any number of hopeless "Deathly"situations.As we read book 7we are constantly kept at the edge of our seats............is this the Moment of Death?.................Count me in I want part of that!!!!!
Bingo:tu:

zecik February 10th, 2007 10:31 pm

I don't think that she will kill him off. I just don't think she wants to.

PotterFreak0515 February 10th, 2007 10:39 pm

No, He's not going to die. It's not like Jo was sitting on a train thinking, "Oh, I've got this great idea for a story. It's about a kid who has an awful life and then dies!"

And yes, I stole that from The Leaky Mug.

There's also the rumor that Jo told someone that the Trio would live throughout the whole series in a bookstore in Naperville, IL. And I believe she slipped up in NYC last summer and gave away that none of the Trio were going to die.

mollyfranny February 10th, 2007 11:19 pm

I just have a feeling that he will die. I don't like it, but I think he will.

Sarmoo February 10th, 2007 11:33 pm

I also think Harry will die, I just have a feeling. Im sorry.

Part of me thinks its because JK doesnt want anyone to carry on with the Harry Potter books, she wants to end it on her terms, and have no one else interrupt.

However, it doesn't seem quite right to me for him to die, it would just be.... so big!
I couldn't imagine it, because the book, the whole storyline, the point. Is him.
And for him to die at the end of it all would be unimaginable.

I hope to GOD that he doesnt die, but I have a gut feeling it'll end unhappily but under special circumstances. Who knows? We'll have to wait and see...

mollyfranny February 10th, 2007 11:35 pm

Urgh. I can't wait for this book to come out. I want to see what happens.

taupimu February 11th, 2007 4:11 am

I sure don't think that Harry will die. I think that the sacrifices that will be made in the final defeat of Voldemort will come from the people who owe Harry for some reason. Wormtail and Snape are my first thoughts.

Strider62442 February 11th, 2007 5:03 am

Anyone read that interview with Radcliffe that was posted on TLC? In it he agains says that he is hoping to play a death scene and that he believes that its the only way to bring the series closure. He has said it before. He has a measure of contact with JKR. How much I don't know, but its clear that they have an occasional chat. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that maybe Dan's comments on the subject have been encouraged by her. I personally feel like JKR wants to keep it in our heads that there is a big possibility that Harry will die, and I think Dan's comments on the subject are useful to doing this. Because he seems so definitive when he says he thinks and hopes that Harry will die and combined with the fact that he has some access to the author it leads people to think he has inside knowledge and that we should get out the funeral garb.

I think he may have a little inside knowledge, but that its the other way around and that he is helping JKR keep us guessing.

sparkly February 11th, 2007 5:21 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strider62442 (Post 4343175)
Anyone read that interview with Radcliffe that was posted on TLC? In it he agains says that he is hoping to play a death scene and that he believes that its the only way to bring the series closure. He has said it before. He has a measure of contact with JKR. How much I don't know, but its clear that they have an occasional chat. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that maybe Dan's comments on the subject have been encouraged by her. I personally feel like JKR wants to keep it in our heads that there is a big possibility that Harry will die, and I think Dan's comments on the subject are useful to doing this. Because he seems so definitive when he says he thinks and hopes that Harry will die and combined with the fact that he has some access to the author it leads people to think he has inside knowledge and that we should get out the funeral garb.

I think he may have a little inside knowledge, but that its the other way around and that he is helping JKR keep us guessing.

I don't think Dan would be so unprofessional as to give away the ending of the final book. In fact, his comments indicate to me that he doesn't know anything and is speaking as Dan Radcliffe who's read the same books we have. I also don't think JKR would use someone else to send a message. She hasn't been shy about saying there will be deaths in the last book - why would she need a mouthpiece for Harry's future? And why would she give risk hurting sales of the last book by giving away the end?

dumbleISdead February 11th, 2007 5:37 am

a while ago i was convinced that he was going to die

then i rethought it and decided that since its Jo, she will finish it off in a way that noone has ever thought of, because she is spectacular like that

so no i dont think he will die, but i think there will be some major twist, and SOMETHING will happen to him