Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101059)

Strider62442 February 11th, 2007 5:39 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

I dont mean hes an official mouthpiece. My point is that if JKR is going to make Harry live, she still wants people to be nervous right to the end. So she will say things that keep the possibility of him dying open. It wouldnt be unusual for her to suggest to Dan that he express his wish to play a death scene because it makes people a little nervous. Shes not trying to give away the end by doing this. Shes trying to lead the fans off the track.

Now I suppose I'll get the response that JKR wouldnt lie to her readers. I'll answer that in advance. Shes not lying by trying to mystify people. Its my belief that Harry is going to live for literary reasons. I believe that she is trying to keep the readers guessing by acknowledging often that Harry could die. I don't think its a stretch that she could be seeking to misdirect people in the same way by semi-planting comments in other people's mouths. If I was in her position, I would be trying to conceal the ending in the same way.

I also fully acknowledge that there is no evidence of this now. But I am sure after the release some comment by JKR will surface that will indicate that she did everything she could to keep people nervous.

UndeadEmpire13 February 11th, 2007 6:23 pm

i think harry will die killing voldemort.

i'd cry if harry died. :(

Voldermania February 11th, 2007 6:59 pm

Ok, did I ever tell you guys my fang/arm theory? As is has come to be affectionately known (by me). Ok; it is this. Dumbledores look of triumph, after Harry shows him the place where blood was taken from his arm, could be (according to me) because of the fact that the unusual amount of things that have happened to that exact place in his arm. I mean, its the same place that got stabbed by voldemorts pet basilisk, and the same place that fawkes cried on. This may have something to do with it. Also, this theory doesnt factor in alot of recent developments, as I came up with it the day before book five came out. And it also means that Wormtail paid off his debt to Harry for saving his life, which fits nicely.

Oh, and a theory about how to get rid of the horcruxes: harry should eat them, and then get a dementor to suck them out. They are pieces of soul, so it should work. Also, there has to be a bigger point to the dementors (I am immediately going to get shot down for this, I know) and also it would fit with dumbledores 'there are things worse than death' thingy.

I really hope Harry doesnt die. If he does, I will be the first person to call that helpline.

eviljim13 February 11th, 2007 9:19 pm

:cool: This won't help answer the question of wether Harry will die or notmbut it may shed some light on the process of the debate.I'd like to enter into evidence "24"the television show.Week after week Jack Bauer has been put thru any number of deadly situations for 5 years now!!!!!He has so far survived.However,all along the way,promos for future episodes have often suggested Jack's impending death!!!!!!In fact,"24"s producers have made it a point and a goal to make sure that you understand that ANY character could(and will!)be killed off at ANY time!Including Jack Bauer-the main character!!!!In this way,they keep you on the edge of your seat,waiting to see who will die(much like Ron reading the Daily Prophet:lol: )It is a briliant strategy especialy if you have to maintain suspence for many years not just a couple of weeks:rockon:

Daelin February 11th, 2007 11:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldermania (Post 4344118)
Ok, did I ever tell you guys my fang/arm theory? As is has come to be affectionately known (by me). Ok; it is this. Dumbledores look of triumph, after Harry shows him the place where blood was taken from his arm, could be (according to me) because of the fact that the unusual amount of things that have happened to that exact place in his arm. I mean, its the same place that got stabbed by voldemorts pet basilisk, and the same place that fawkes cried on. This may have something to do with it. Also, this theory doesnt factor in alot of recent developments, as I came up with it the day before book five came out. And it also means that Wormtail paid off his debt to Harry for saving his life, which fits nicely.

Ummm, I can't agree that tying someone up, and stealing their blood in an evil ritual to embody their worst enemy, is serviceable as paying a life debt.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Wormtail still owes Harry big-time, and I think he knows it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldermania (Post 4344118)
Oh, and a theory about how to get rid of the horcruxes: harry should eat them, and then get a dementor to suck them out. They are pieces of soul, so it should work. Also, there has to be a bigger point to the dementors (I am immediately going to get shot down for this, I know) and also it would fit with dumbledores 'there are things worse than death' thingy.

The dementors have been shown pretty conclusively as soul-sucking monsters which cannot be handled with reason. Dumbledore, who was certainly powerful enough to manage them, did not want them near Hogwarts, so I think it is highly unlikely that Harry could convince them to suck the horcrux souls and leave his alone. And if Harry could remove the horcrux souls from the items containing them, he would not need any help destroying those soul bits. It's all a bit like trusting a pack of wild pit bulls to help you with your homework.

oldone February 12th, 2007 4:37 am

I will say it again Harry will not die jkr would have to be pretty cold to kill off a person that lived such a horrible life before and after he found the wizarding world depriving him of a happy existance after lv .It would be like Simon Birch I hated that movie.I think he will have personal loses much like frodo in lord of the rings but alive never the less.

lupislune February 12th, 2007 5:32 am

At first, I thought the chances of Harry surviving were about 50/50, but given JKR's reaction that this is in fact her favorite book, I think we will in fact survive.

Eliya February 12th, 2007 10:04 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkly (Post 4340494)
JKR has developed the Harry/Ginny relationship since the first book and by bringing them together briefly in HBP she clearly foreshadowed that Harry will survive Voldermort. To change that abruptly in the final book doesn't make sense from a literary perspective and isn't good writing technique.

You are right! I thought exactly the same, just didn't know how to express it clearly. There indeed wouldn't be any sense in killing Harry at the end of the last book.

anabel February 12th, 2007 10:38 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lupislune (Post 4345046)
At first, I thought the chances of Harry surviving were about 50/50, but given JKR's reaction that this is in fact her favorite book, I think we will in fact survive.

I agree! Harry must be like one of Jo's own children by now, so I don't see how a book in which he dies could be her favourite! Also, little turns of phrase in countless interviews seem to indicate that he will survive, although she often corrects herself and says "if" afterwards.

draughtofdead February 12th, 2007 11:06 am

there is like no way that Rowling will dare to kill harry but she might kill him so that she wont b tempted to write a new book :p

lillink February 12th, 2007 11:33 am

JK Rowling has been working on Harry Potter for over 10 years now. Harry has basically been her life, almost the equivalent of one of her children. I do not see how she could kill him after all of the time she has spent with him.

Voldermania February 12th, 2007 4:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daelin (Post 4344625)
Ummm, I can't agree that tying someone up, and stealing their blood in an evil ritual to embody their worst enemy, is serviceable as paying a life debt.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Wormtail still owes Harry big-time, and I think he knows it.

The dementors have been shown pretty conclusively as soul-sucking monsters which cannot be handled with reason. Dumbledore, who was certainly powerful enough to manage them, did not want them near Hogwarts, so I think it is highly unlikely that Harry could convince them to suck the horcrux souls and leave his alone. And if Harry could remove the horcrux souls from the items containing them, he would not need any help destroying those soul bits. It's all a bit like trusting a pack of wild pit bulls to help you with your homework.

Ok, fair points. But TECHNICALLY, they both work. I mean, wormtail was at hogwarts in the form of scabbers when the whole COS thing happened. I would have to check, but isnt he there when Harry is telling people what happened? He would have heard about it anyway - rats hear things, Im sure. And it WOULD be repaying the debt, because it would mean that he was doing it (all the tying up/stabbing) in order to foil voldemorts plans, therby helping Harry.

And the dementor thing: TRUE, you cannot train them. But this works both ways - you said you cannot handle dementors with reason. But Voldemort does - maybe misguidedly so? They might well turn against him if tempted with seven bits of soul containing ALOT of bad memories.

Daelin February 12th, 2007 4:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldermania (Post 4345477)
Ok, fair points. But TECHNICALLY, they both work. I mean, wormtail was at hogwarts in the form of scabbers when the whole COS thing happened. I would have to check, but isnt he there when Harry is telling people what happened? He would have heard about it anyway - rats hear things, Im sure. And it WOULD be repaying the debt, because it would mean that he was doing it (all the tying up/stabbing) in order to foil voldemorts plans, therby helping Harry.

And the dementor thing: TRUE, you cannot train them. But this works both ways - you said you cannot handle dementors with reason. But Voldemort does - maybe misguidedly so? They might well turn against him if tempted with seven bits of soul containing ALOT of bad memories.

Well, let's not discount a life debt. It's been made pretty clear that a life is required to pay a life debt, not "helping out". And Pettigrew was doing Voldemort's work, not Harry's, in the tying up and stabbing - it gave Voldemort a body and allowed him to contact Harry w/o pain, and there is no evidence that Wormtail had any idea this would help Harry, so no, I don't score that as service to Harry in repayment of the debt.

And the problem with your dementor theory, is that they go after souls to suck out the happiness and joy. Remember that in PoA, Sirius escaped Azkaban because the dementors could not detect any joy or happiness in him. So, I don't think pieces of Voldemort's soul, especially locked away in physical objects, would have anywhere near the appetizing attraction of Harry's much-loving heart and soul.

Padfoot_Prongs February 13th, 2007 1:02 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillink (Post 4345215)
JK Rowling has been working on Harry Potter for over 10 years now. Harry has basically been her life, almost the equivalent of one of her children. I do not see how she could kill him after all of the time she has spent with him.

I do agree with you, but the possibility of Harry dying still scares me.

Personally, I think it is kind of weird that Daniel Radcliffe wants Harry to die because like JKR, he has been involved with Harry for a pretty long time now. I do understand that most of the reason he wants Harry to die is so that he gets to do a death scene, but still it scares me. If Dan wants to act out Harry's death scene, what would prevent JKR from wanting to write it?

Kathleen Malfoy February 13th, 2007 4:57 am

Well, J.K. Rowling said something about valuing her personal safety too much not to finish writing the last book. (This might have been a half joke though).

But she might say the same thing about Harry, that she values her personal safety too much that she wouldn't kill Harry.

I mean, I suppose she should assume that because there are millions and millions of Harry Potter fans....there probably are at least a couple that are possibly actually crazy. Although, I still think it might have been a half joke.

ginnyluv February 13th, 2007 6:43 am

i don't think so its just hype to get everyone excited for the new one keep the suspens going.....i hope he ends up with ginny again

wobbleshanks February 13th, 2007 7:13 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbleISdead (Post 4343217)
a while ago i was convinced that he was going to die

then i rethought it and decided that since its Jo, she will finish it off in a way that noone has ever thought of, because she is spectacular like that

so no i dont think he will die, but i think there will be some major twist, and SOMETHING will happen to him

I couldn't agree with you more. (Except, I was convinced he was going to live.) I think Jo has something.......uh.....lets say [i]different[i] planned for poor, wonderful Harry. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the veil or what's behind the veil. The veil seems to tie up several things for me. Jo's mentions of: Christianity, the use of the two-way mirror again (psychics talk to people who have died?), the complexities of the ending of the series (something more complex than life or death?), leaving some things for people to still debate over (do you believe in an after-life?), death being another journey........behind the veil is......what?.......life after death? We don't know, but there is sure to be much revealed about what's behind the veil (maybe even the wizarding world isn't sure) in the last book. Remember, they heard voices behind the veil. Sacrifice? There's been tons of sacrifice so far and she has pointedly said there will be more and a price must be paid. Personally, I think there's a good chance Ron will die. He had to sacrifice himself (sorta) in SS/PS at the chess board. Mrs. Weasley and her run in with the boggart........didn't that foreshadow the possible deaths of over half the Weasley family? OF COURSE Harry's going to sacrifice himself in the killing of HWMNBN, but what happens to Harry in the process may not be a simple matter of living or dying. IMHO.

avada_kedavraa February 13th, 2007 9:40 am

Harry will die and the proof of that is the fact that DH is being released after the OOTP movie, when the 7th of the senventh month of 2007 would have been the perfect date. I think this is being done so as not to interfere with the OOTP movie's performance in the box office, as Harry's death would put off a lot of fans going to the movie.

ginnyluv February 13th, 2007 9:54 am

good theory but i still don'y yhink so i say its just hype for the next book she wil kill off possibly more people then before that are important ..but not harry...although she has had lots of success and could do whaever the heck she wants

mysterious February 13th, 2007 1:05 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHPFAN (Post 4340575)
I just don't see this happening either. If he dies, I see him dying in battle against Voldemort while defeating him. I don't see the whole sacrifice thing as being a good enough ending in my opinion. Harry has already sacrificed so much (i.e. normal childhood) that to have him sacrifice his life is just not right in my honest opinion. Obiviously, it is possible, but I just can't come to grips, or even see the logic in that happening.

I agree with you that he has been through loads of things, but I would prefer him dead with one soul rather than living with split souls because he will eventually have to Kill Voldemort and once he does that his soul will split. And this time if he has to make an impact he will have to kill Voldemort himself, not by some trick, meaning that it will be a murder and that will split his soul. ;)