Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Television (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers for season 8) (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=124509)

Hes April 24th, 2010 11:29 pm

The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers for season 8)

Version 5 already and in excellent time for "The Time of Angels"

Discuss new and old episodes ^_^

Last posts version 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR637 (Post 5527651)
Spoiler: show
So who is excited for River Song tonight! Our first 2-parter of the seaso! I can't wait!

-JR

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hes
Those angels still creep me out. I think I have to see it for a second time but I liked it

And remember...

Whatever you do, don't blink.

JR637 April 25th, 2010 3:27 am

Re: The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers up to series 4 and specials and now series 5!)

Not related to the newest episode, but I was just watching a rerun of The Beast Below and I noticed that just before Amy is captured, she is exploring a closed area and it is Magpies Electronics from the episode where people lost their faces. Pretty cool tie-in.

-JR

NumberEight April 25th, 2010 4:22 am

Re: The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers up to series 4 and specials and now series 5!)

The newest episode is pretty good. I hated "Blink" when I first saw it years ago but when I saw it again earlier this year, I enjoyed it. I am glad the Weeping Angels are back.

ginger1 April 25th, 2010 9:31 am

Ok, Ok, I take it all back. I didn't much like the new doctor to begin with - his character wasn't quite resolved, and I was never a fan of the daleks - or history (eg Churchill) being included - it all seemed a bit "staged" - but last night's episode was good.

FlashMemory April 25th, 2010 12:11 pm

I liked the idea that anything that takes the image of an angel, becomes an angel, I honestly didn't think they could make the angels more creepy but the scene in the trailer where Amy is locked in and the recording starts moving was great. About-to-hide-behind-the-sofa-time.

optimus_pie95 April 25th, 2010 4:30 pm

wow.....now i'm more terrified of them than ever before....i didn't think it was physically possible that Steven Moffat could make the weeping angels any scarier than last time! great episode all-round though!

JR637 April 25th, 2010 8:19 pm

I was very impressed with this episode I had loads of fun watching it!

Did anyone notice that when they were watching the Angel on the screen for the first time, there was a helmet and possibly a suit on a rack that were the helmets from Silence in the Library?

The Silence in the Library episodes and the Blink episodes were my favorites, but I may be adding this two-parter to that list as well! Loved it!

-JR

Kevin April 28th, 2010 9:30 pm

Some Promo shots from the next episode (spoilers probably) -
http://www.denofgeek.com/television/...e_gallery.html

NumberEight April 29th, 2010 1:56 am

I am enjoying this series of Doctor Who. I like the new Doctor. We have seen three Moffat-helmed episodes so far and I think they are pretty good. I don't think it's his best stuff, but they are good.

Rastaban43 May 1st, 2010 11:02 pm

I liked the last episode except for the angels moving, the number of angels working together and Amy going all naughty at the end.

Looking for a 60-year-old looking doctor.

optimus_pie95 May 2nd, 2010 12:22 am

cool, part two was good but it could have maybe done without the moving angels. Apart from that it was great.

moogirl May 2nd, 2010 2:22 am

We get it delayed here. :sad: The third episode is airing tonight, and so far I like the new Doctor and am in love with Amy. The new Doctor is certainly no Tennant, but he's good in his own right. I prefer him to Eccleston. And Amy is the best companion we've had since Rose! She's fun and quirky and works very well with the new Doctor's personality.

Yeah, I love the show basically.

Kevin May 2nd, 2010 11:38 pm

Loved last nights episode.

Here is a very interesting thing.

When the Doctor leaves with River and the priest bloke, he has no jacket on. The next moment the Doctor is back with his Jacket on (which he lost to the weeping angels). So this could be a simple continunity error or it's one of the Moff's wibbly wobbly timey wimey moments. Future Doctor is crossing his own Time Line to fix stuff. The crack might just be a bit of a distraction. Maybe the Doctor did visit Amy when she was a child (the bit where Amiela is sitting outside her house and smiles when she hears the TARDIS, but the next moment we switch to adult Amy in her bed).

Wab May 3rd, 2010 4:16 am

Although from what I understand from some time ago the Doctor cannpt cross his own time line or visit the same point in time and space more than once. Ructions in the continuum and all that.

Moriath May 3rd, 2010 8:59 am

But apparently time is being rewritten now that there are the cracks. The Doctor seemed elated at that news (maybe because of the Time War?) and this may be why he can cross his own time line.

Kevin May 3rd, 2010 4:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wab (Post 5530911)
Although from what I understand from some time ago the Doctor cannpt cross his own time line or visit the same point in time and space more than once. Ructions in the continuum and all that.

He's bound by the Laws of the Time Lords (even though they burned to a crisp at the end of the Time War). One of those rules is that the Doctor cannot change Fixed points in Time and Space (as explored in the Waters of Mars) nor can he cross his own time stream and alter it. Apart from cheap tricks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriath (Post 5530994)
But apparently time is being rewritten now that there are the cracks. The Doctor seemed elated at that news (maybe because of the Time War?) and this may be why he can cross his own time line.

The Doctor is bound by the Laws of Time, as set down by the Time Lords. We've already seen what happens when the Doctor crosses his Time Stream and history is altered i.e. Rose Saves Daddy, which then releases The Reapers in Fathers day.
However i think the Pandorica (whatever it is) and the Crack will be some kind of reset of the series. Not saying it means the Master will be back with the Time Lords in tow. Though there is a rumour that the Master will be back at the end of the series. But it probably won't be John Simm before any fangirls get excited. That's if the rumour is true and not some codswallop posted on gallifreybase to see if the Sun will steal the info and print it (they have a habit of doing that).

If Time can indeed be rewritten, then perhaps the Doctor can rewrite the end of the Time War. Wild speculation here - The Time Lord that was shamed into covering his eyes with the big hair looks like Matt Smith. But I'm probably seeing things that aren't there. Moffat had some control over what RTD could do in the specials, RTD said he would park the show where Moffat needed it to be.

And lastly I'm starting to think that Moffat has written the series backwards i.e. we are at the end, not the beginning. On that subject the Doctor apparently disappears in episode 12, which is apparently one of the big cliffhangers of the series. In that it will make you wonder how Moffat can tie everything together and have the Doctor save the day.

Schlubalybub May 5th, 2010 11:10 pm

I haven't seen the last episode yet. Occupational hazard of working Saturday evening is having to wait nearly a week to see the new episode (I watch it on Friday evening)

JR637 May 6th, 2010 5:38 pm

This is a quote from a user named "Alan G McWhan" from the Gallifrey Base forums in regard to the Doctor sometimes wearing and sometimes not wearing his jacket while in the forest on Flesh & Stone. Some think it was a continuity error, but this user, like me, believe there is more to it:

Quote:

It has been pointed out but it's nice to have its own thread - some are arguing it's a continuity error but there are no other sequences in the forest with the Doctor in his jacket so it can't be.

For my money, the "you leave the brakes on" / silent landing thing from Time of Angels is considerably more important than a throwaway gag - it's how this later Doctor manages to appear without anyone other than Amy spotting him. (All the clerics are facing away from Amy, the Doctor silently materialises the TARDIS beside her just after the other Doctor, River and Octavian leave the clearing...)

For what it's worth, I don't think it's worth scouring Eleventh Hour for what he said to 7 year old Amy - my suspicion is that the Doctor is the figure who runs past the window as Amy is waiting for him to come back. The smiling Amy at the end of the episode is not Amy's dream as many said after the episode aired but 7-year old Amy really hearing the TARDIS returning for her during the finale.

He does this specifically to create a paradox - the Amy the Doctor has been travelling with can't exist as her life has been informed by decisions (and therapy!) taken due to her disappointment in the Doctor not coming back.

The Doctor's actions in Flesh and Stone must therefore be him attempting to influence which path "time" itself chooses as the correct one by directly influencing Amy herself to remember the timeline where he returned to her rather than the one where he didn't...

Well, that's my theory anyway.
I think this theory is quite interesting and could very possibly be true. I think that after seeing the Doctor so happy when he realizes that time can be re-written, he decides to help it find the timeline he prefers hence Amy's lack of memory because she was with the Doctor and not on Earth for the Daleks and Cybermen, etc. Very cool and interesting theory.

-JR

Lord Godric May 13th, 2010 3:41 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastaban43 (Post 5530326)
I liked the last episode except for the angels moving, the number of angels working together and Amy going all naughty at the end.

I just watched the episode, and I thought Amy's sudden lust for the Doctor was really out of character from what we've seen of her so far. Maybe it's just me because I really don't want a love interest, but it was just really odd.

Also with that episode we finally found out that "Amy's Time" is indeed 2010. Which makes her timeline all the more confusing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR637 (Post 5532376)
This is a quote from a user named "Alan G McWhan" from the Gallifrey Base forums in regard to the Doctor sometimes wearing and sometimes not wearing his jacket while in the forest on Flesh & Stone. Some think it was a continuity error, but this user, like me, believe there is more to it:

I think this theory is quite interesting and could very possibly be true. I think that after seeing the Doctor so happy when he realizes that time can be re-written, he decides to help it find the timeline he prefers hence Amy's lack of memory because she was with the Doctor and not on Earth for the Daleks and Cybermen, etc. Very cool and interesting theory.

-JR

That would be incredibly challenging to explain I think. But interesting, nonetheless.

Rell May 15th, 2010 2:02 am

I had to share!