Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Harry Potter Archives (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Does Harry love the Dursleys? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=105845)

secretkeeper007 June 3rd, 2007 4:55 am

Does Harry love the Dursleys?

If this has already been posted, sorry. I did a search and nothing came up.

I was thinking about how Harry says he hates the Dursleys and how he can't wait to leave them each summer, and says he doesn't love them, but I actually think he DOES love them.

Remember how Dumbledore has said many times that Harry's power to love will save him? (How could you forget?)

I know you're thinking 'What? Where is she going with this?'

My point is, Harry is so loving, he even loves the people who treated him worse than a relative's dog and I think this is something that will (somehow) help him destroy Voldemort.

I know what you're thinking now too, 'But Harry doesn't love the Dursleys...'

I have proof (well, what I'd call proof anyway..)
- When Harry is walking home with Dudley in OotP and the dementors come, Harry doesn't just save himself, but he tells Dudley what to do and drives the dementors away with his Patronus. Yes, Harry would've conjured a patronus anyway, but the point is that he saved his cousin too.
- "She was looking at Harry as she had never looked at him before. And all of a sudden, for the very first time in his life, Harry fully appreciated that Aunt Petunia was his mother's sister. He could not have said why this hit him so powerfully at this moment. All he knew was that he was not the only person in the room who had an inkling of what Lord Voldemort being back might mean. Aunt Petunia had never in her life looked at him like that before. Her large pale eyes (so unlike her sister's) were not narrowed in dislike or anger, they were wide and fearful. The furious pretence that Aunt Petunia had maintained all Harry's life - that there was no magic and no other world she inhabited with Uncle Vernon - seemed to have fallen away.

Admittedly, she does gravitate towards Dudley right after this, but nevertheless, she looks at Harry as, oh I don't know, a mother would in this situation. And Harry appreciates this. Like a son.

Though we notice, there is nothing of this sort between Harry and Vernon. So Harry would be correct in saying he hates Vernon Dursley, but not all three of them.

I hope this will have an effect on the outcome or will help in some way in book 7.

What do you guys think?

gillikitty2000 June 3rd, 2007 5:29 am

Re: Does Harry love the Dursleys?

what in the world?? Harry might love them but i really can't see that. He looks forward to leaving them, i really dont get how you think this? can you explain this further. I know you have proof, but it really just shows he doesn't want dudley to "die" and feels one nice moment with his aunt, who never really was mean to him, just ignored him.

elfears91 June 3rd, 2007 5:44 am

i think he has like that involuntary family love that most people have that even when you really can't stand people in your family somewhere you really do care. At the same time i doubt he'll miss them or keep in touch, he could probably use the memory of the day he leaves the Dursely's for a patronus

xhanax315 June 3rd, 2007 5:51 am

I think deep down he must have feelings for them. I mean come on, they're family even though they treated him horribly. I htink if they needed help from Voldy or something, he would help them.....

SKasparRollins June 3rd, 2007 5:54 am

I think the hatred between Harry and Uncle Vernon will always be mutual - no reconciliation here, as Uncle Vernon is undoubtedly one of the stupidest characters in the books.

After Petunia explains herself, though, the relationship might thaw a bit.

WindogNZ June 3rd, 2007 7:20 am

I'm very skeptical as to whether this love DD talks about has anything to do with the Dursleys. I'd be more inclined to think it has to do with old Wormtail, but anyway... I just can't see Harry glossing over the poor treatment he endured all those years.

lilyseyes June 3rd, 2007 7:53 am

This is a really great thread. I think in his own way, he does love the Dursleys. You can hate a persons actions while still loving the person. Its just in Harrys nature. I mean honestly, if Harry hated them all, even Dudley who has used Harry as a punching bag all those years. he would NEVER have saved him from the Dementors. Yet he does. Yes he had already conjured the Patronus, but even before that, when Dudley was running twords the Dementor, Harry was yelling at him to "keep his mouth shut". Then he finally chases away Dudleys Dementor.
I know Harry has talked about jinxing them in to slugs etc. But I doubt seriously he would want harm, say from the DE or Voldemort to ever come to the DUrselys he cares to much.

Spirit June 3rd, 2007 8:58 am

Harry and Vernon hate each other most defintely. I don't think that Harry actually hates Dudley or Petunia, but he doesn't exactly love them either. I think that he wouldn't want to see anything seriously bad happen to any of them, and that really shows how great Harry's character can be. But I don't think he has any warm, fuzzy feelings for them either.

IMissPadfoot June 3rd, 2007 9:42 am

I don't think there is any feeling between Harry and Vernon other than total dislike.

I think Petunia is a different story though. I'm not saying Harry is fond of her, or she of him - but I do think that deep down they are both very aware that they are each other's last link to Lily. Petunia may not show any affection towards Harry, but I don't think her dislike is as intense towards him as Vernon's. Whether or not Petunia got on with Lily isn't the point - Harry is her sister's child and she would have to be incredibly cold-hearted not to feel something for him and I don't believe she is.

As for Dudley - that's difficult. I think Harry feels much the same about him as he does about Vernon. After all, Dudley did bully him practically from the moment he was born! The fact that Harry saved Dudley's life in OotP doesn't necessarily mean he likes him much though. Harry is just a deeply caring person - plus he has his "saving people thing". I don't believe Harry would stand by and let anyone get attacked by Dementors, whether he liked them or not.

shaun0505 June 3rd, 2007 10:32 am

No. He may in DH have a slight feeling of love or something similar, to Aunt Petunia, but that's about as far as it streches

Deathly_Potter June 3rd, 2007 10:43 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMissPadfoot (Post 4544930)
I don't believe Harry would stand by and let anyone get attacked by Dementors, whether he liked them or not.

I agree. Harry is just a good person. While he Harry detests the way the Dursleys treat him, he would never harm one of the Dursleys out of spite nor would he let anyone hurt one of them if he could stop it.

sticky June 3rd, 2007 6:30 pm

Even thought Harry might not have liked the way they treated him, etc.. i still believe that if the dursleys were under a threat from something like deatheaters or dementors he would save them. like when harry saved dudley from the dementor in the ootp.....even though dudley had teased him he still helped his cousin. harry is a loving person, and hates to see people suffer....although there may not be any well fellings between the durlsys and harry what we have seen so far, but if the dursleys were under threat harry would definately save them.....

kaltia June 3rd, 2007 8:57 pm

I think Harry loves them as he loves everyone. He appreciates that they're human, they have the capability to do good and to love, and they're liable to make mistakes. Besides, they're family. He may never truly trust them, or forgive them for the way they treated him, but Harry's better than that. He'll still love them in a certain way and stick up for them.

AliceFO June 4th, 2007 10:17 am

I think he loves them to a certain extent, maybe Patunia more than Vernon, but I think he is greatful for what they have done, I mean they didn't have to bring him up even if they were cruel to him they still gave him food and a place to sleep. I think he would try and save them if he needed to but I don't doubt for one second he just wants to get out of there when he turns 17.

Wright1771 June 4th, 2007 10:57 am

Well, in a nutshell.....nope! But, would he save them from impending death.....yes, of course he will...it's in his nature!

Eliya June 4th, 2007 11:15 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirit (Post 4544896)
Harry and Vernon hate each other most defintely. I don't think that Harry actually hates Dudley or Petunia, but he doesn't exactly love them either. I think that he wouldn't want to see anything seriously bad happen to any of them, and that really shows how great Harry's character can be. But I don't think he has any warm, fuzzy feelings for them either.

I do agree with you. Harry doesn't really hate Dudley or Petunia but nor he loves them. And i'm sure if something threaten them (like from Voldemort's side), he will probably try to help them.

Moriath June 4th, 2007 11:16 am

I don't think he loves them but he has lived with them for basically all his life. There are certainly some feelings, not all of them exclusively negative, but I doubt that love is one of them.

Rowena June 4th, 2007 3:07 pm

He probably does....they did give him shelter and food....

HMN June 4th, 2007 3:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sticky (Post 4545319)
Even thought Harry might not have liked the way they treated him, etc.. i still believe that if the dursleys were under a threat from something like deatheaters or dementors he would save them. like when harry saved dudley from the dementor in the ootp.....even though dudley had teased him he still helped his cousin. harry is a loving person, and hates to see people suffer....although there may not be any well fellings between the durlsys and harry what we have seen so far, but if the dursleys were under threat harry would definately save them.....

I totally agree. Harry would not let anyone die if he could help it, just like he saved Dudley - he did it without a thought - he knew it was just the right thing to do.

goodglinda June 4th, 2007 9:42 pm

I would like to think that Harry and Petunia have some sort of unknown bond. And maybe that bond is love, but I think it has something more to do with Petunia being Harry's blood-related aunt. And, well, I think that moment in the kitchen, in OOTP, has more meaning behind it, and will be thouroughly explained in DH, when Harry returns to the Dursley's for the last time!