Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Why were Harry, Ginny and Luna able to hear the voices behind the veil? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=96356)

ASKhan_Moony October 7th, 2006 4:25 pm

Why were Harry, Ginny and Luna able to hear the voices behind the veil?
 
In the death room, these three heard whispers from behind the veil. Now we know that Harry and Ginny have come in contact with Voldemort. But why could Luna hear them? Why not Ron and Hermione? Is there something more to this? Remember Luna is in Ravenclaw. RAVENCLAW WILL HAVE THEIR DAY...

Thanks,
ASK




No spoilers allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

BurrowGhoul October 7th, 2006 4:30 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Luna can also see Thestrals, because she saw her mom die. Maybe that is her connection to the veil? Although I don't remember whether Neville heard anything or not.

Iguanadon October 7th, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Luna could hear the whispers, like harry & Ginny because she had experience with / seen death. Her mother died when she was young, and she was quite affected by it. It's why she could see the Thesterals (sp?). Which brings up a slightly off topic, but interesting question - can Ginny see the Thesterals now, too. I can't remember.

SarahSue0808 October 7th, 2006 4:37 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
I was always more curious why it was that Ginny could hear the voices between the veil. My thought was that Harry and Luna could because it was their loved ones who were dead whispering to them from the other side. I believe Luna's explanation in the end of OOTP goes something like that. Perhaps Ginny's near death experience, when Tom Riddle was attempting to sap the life out of her to give life to himself, has given her the ability to communicate with the other side? Interesting...

In answer to your question, Iguanadon, I do not think Ginny can see Thestrals. She hasn't witnessed anybody die, has she?

folly54 October 7th, 2006 4:49 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Harry, Neville and Luna have seen death so their interest in the Veil is explainable. Ginny's is not. I think it could have some significance.

IgoRetla October 7th, 2006 5:22 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
If you look at who all was entranced (include Neville), I'd be pretty sure the commonality was who could see Thestrals (Harry, Luna, Neville). But then, why Ginny?

lunnastarr October 7th, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Luna, Harry and Ginny heard the voices behind the veil so why Ginny? it may show some significance in the future of the 7th book.

mugglesrock October 7th, 2006 5:39 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IgoRetla (Post 4113561)
If you look at who all was entranced (include Neville), I'd be pretty sure the commonality was who could see Thestrals (Harry, Luna, Neville). But then, why Ginny?

What he said. I always assumed that :)

Hinoema October 7th, 2006 5:52 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Close association with death, or near death, could be the common factor. Now, if that's right, Ron and Hermione should be able to hear voices as well, after Ron's near death experience...

BurrowGhoul October 7th, 2006 5:58 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinoema (Post 4113611)
Close association with death, or near death, could be the common factor. Now, if that's right, Ron and Hermione should be able to hear voices as well, after Ron's near death experience...

How near to death was Ron when he was poisoned? And are you saying Hermione would hear them now because of the spell she was hit with at the Ministry?

IgoRetla October 7th, 2006 6:20 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul (Post 4113617)
How near to death was Ron when he was poisoned? And are you saying Hermione would hear them now because of the spell she was hit with at the Ministry?

I know this is off topic, but I wonder if a great number of Hogwarts students might now be able to see Thestrals after seeing (and facing the ramifications of) Dumbledore's crumpled body.

After all, Harry didn't actually "see" Cedric die. He just heard the body hit. He was a bit busy writhing in pain at the time.

And Ron and Ginny did both see a Death Eater die in the Tower battle, when he was hit by the stray Avada Kedavra.

eowyn_weasley October 7th, 2006 6:52 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Quote:

Perhaps Ginny's near death experience, when Tom Riddle was attempting to sap the life out of her to give life to himself, has given her the ability to communicate with the other side? Interesting...
that is an interesting thought what if that is another branch of magic you have to be born with, like seeing, that she can communicate with the dead. as you can imagine this could be very important in book7.

SarahSue0808 October 7th, 2006 7:55 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IgoRetla (Post 4113632)
And Ron and Ginny did both see a Death Eater die in the Tower battle, when he was hit by the stray Avada Kedavra.

But at the time they were in the veil room, Ginny still hadn't seen death. Any chance she was just trying to soothe Harry so he didn't think he was crazy? I don't remember exactly how the passage reads, but as I'm slowly remembering it this is seeming less likely. I don't think she can neccesarily communicate with the dead, but perhaps that brush with death has given her a heightened awareness of what death is?

twinsrule26 October 7th, 2006 11:30 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lunnastarr (Post 4113578)
Luna, Harry and Ginny heard the voices behind the veil so why Ginny? it may show some significance in the future of the 7th book.

I think that it could be a way for Harry to get some information from beyond the veil .If Ginny has a connection to the veil ,then that could be the way that the mirror that Harry has, could be finally used by Ginny to pick up some useful information from the other side .

It could be that Ginny by being the Seventh Child of pureblood Wizards/witches ,that She was born with some extra senses/powers ? No Canon for that but it is an Idea.

Lizard381 October 8th, 2006 2:55 am

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinoema (Post 4113611)
Close association with death, or near death, could be the common factor. Now, if that's right, Ron and Hermione should be able to hear voices as well, after Ron's near death experience...

Quote:

Originally Posted by IgoRetla (Post 4113632)
I know this is off topic, but I wonder if a great number of Hogwarts students might now be able to see Thestrals after seeing (and facing the ramifications of) Dumbledore's crumpled body.

After all, Harry didn't actually "see" Cedric die. He just heard the body hit. He was a bit busy writhing in pain at the time.

And Ron and Ginny did both see a Death Eater die in the Tower battle, when he was hit by the stray Avada Kedavra.

Errr...both of those incidents were at the end of book 6, the veil incident was at the end of book 5. So Ron being poisoned afterwards and Ron and Ginny seeing a death eater afterwards couldn't affect this incident, they're irrelevant.

ASKhan_Moony October 8th, 2006 11:18 am

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
well thanku evry1. thnx for stickin 2 d basics.

Well, i wud like to add sumfin. Luna's ideas, no matter how bizarre they are, turn out 2 b true. Kike when she told harry about the thestrals, Harry wasnt convinced until Hagrid's class. Nonetheless, Luna woz ryt.

This makes us think that may be the Veil really is sort of hiding ppl or souls behind it...

Ginny could also hear them. This connection only leads to Voldemort. And if does, then it means that Luna also has something to do with him.

Remember Luna has been given a lot of space by Jo in book 5 n 6.

Dont u think that she might be the person who will help RAVENCLAW HAVE THEIR DAY?

Thanks,
ASK

eowyn_weasley October 8th, 2006 11:26 am

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
oh luna better come back in a big way in book 7 i really missed her in hbp

fizzingwhizzbee October 8th, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Luna and Harry have seen death. In CoS, Voldemort said that he poured a little of his soul into Ginny, and maybe that stayed there when the Horcrux was desrtoyed, so Ginny can hear the voices because Voldemort has witnessed death. However, if this was the case, that would mean that Harry would have to 'destroy' Ginny in order to kill Voldemort...

ASKhan_Moony October 8th, 2006 1:32 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzingwhizzbee (Post 4115241)
Luna and Harry have seen death. In CoS, Voldemort said that he poured a little of his soul into Ginny, and maybe that stayed there when the Horcrux was desrtoyed, so Ginny can hear the voices because Voldemort has witnessed death. However, if this was the case, that would mean that Harry would have to 'destroy' Ginny in order to kill Voldemort...


U missin the point. The thing is that if hearing those voices mean that the person has something to do with voldemort, then why did luna hear em?

Thanks,
ASK

fizzingwhizzbee October 8th, 2006 1:39 pm

Re: Connection b/w Harry, Ginny and Luna?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ASKhan_Moony (Post 4113473)
In the death room, these three heard whispers from behind the veil. Now we know that Harry and Ginny have come in contact with Voldemort. But why could Luna hear them? Why not Ron and Hermione? Is there something more to this? Remember Luna is in Ravenclaw. RAVENCLAW WILL HAVE THEIR DAY...

I know, but what I am saying is that what if the connection was actually nothing to do with Voldemort. I'm sorry if I missed your point, but I thought you meant that the 'something more' could be a differrent idea.
Maybe Luna has encountered Voldemort, what if there was more to her mother's death, but she doesn;t know/understand it. She says that her mother die in a poitions accident, but maybe Voldemort could have wanted hrr out of the way for some reason, so fixed the ingredients to go wrong.
We don't know alot about Luna's family, just that her dad writes the Quibbler, so maybe there's more we're going to find out.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 6:26 am.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.