Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   The Common Room (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Snape's Point of View 2: Post-HBP PTSS version. (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=61756)

The Black Adder December 20th, 2005 3:29 am

Re: Snape's Point of View 2: Post-HBP PTSS version.

Thanks, Billywiggy and Bookwhizzbee. I'm glad you both think the interplay is working. As I said at the first, I tried this as a kind of mental exercise. I was trying to imagine Snape as strong but deferential and Voldemort childishly volatile, with something of that charming flatterer he once was in his youth.

I'll try to post the next before Christmas.

Sly_Lady December 20th, 2005 3:56 am

Inkwolf, Billywiggy, Hermione Snape, TBA, Thank you. thestralgrin, thanks millions!

I like reading kind words from you clever, clever people. I have to say I loved writing Bellatrix, but I guess a Bellatrix POV thread would be a sick, sick place, so I'm done with her.

The rest of my story can't go here, it has a bit more visceralness before things get weird, but it doesn't stay grim. In fact it's taking a turn toward silly. I'll link to it if I can figure out how.

TBA, I think your Voldemort is really cool :cool:

Everybody keep writing, this is a great thread.

random_musing December 20th, 2005 5:12 am

*Peaks head in nervously* Erm, hello. This is a bit of an upcoming chapter in my MWPP era fan fiction. So in this scene, Lily and Snape are having their first study session together. Lily and Snape are not friends yet, but Lily would like to be his friends. Hm, I'm really bad at summaries. The format here is a bit hard to read, sorry.

XXX

They both started on Defence, briefly expressing frustration that they mostly did theory rather than actually using the spells on one another. Severus looked up from his quill and watched as Lily performed in such a studious behavior: much more serious and less playful. He preferred this side of her than when she was energetic.
“Does this look alright?” Lily asked, handing Severus what she wrote on her homework so far. Severus read it thoroughly before handing it back to her. “There is a spelling error in your fifth and seventh lines. Other than that it looks fine.”
“Thanks,” Lily murmured, erasing the errors with her wand. “Its not so cold in here once you get used to it.”
“Just wait until January,” Severus said distractedly.
They both did their Transfiguration and Charms homework earlier, so they moved on to Herbology.
“Is it just me or is Herbology getting messier and messier each lesson. My arm was nearly ripped off today. Alice had to hex the plant to get it off me,” Lily said.
“On the plus side Bulstrode didn’t turn out much better,” Severus muttered, not planning on her hearing him, though his intention failed when Lily giggled softly.
“I was rather surprised that she even got in to NEWTs Herbology. She was never in my class before but I hear she was never very good,” said Lily.
“I’m disappointed in general at the people who got into my NEWTs classes,” Severus spat, wrinkling his nose. “Most are entirely incompetent. Some barely scraped by with an Exceeds Expectations. I’m most surprised by the amount of dunces in Defence Against the Dark Arts and Potions. How…Potter and the rest of those idiots got in—”
“Potter is actually very intelligent,” said Lily, glancing up at Severus.
“That prick doesn’t even try,” said Severus hotly. “Nor does Black. Lupin, I don’t know and don’t care. Pettigrew, I’m amazed that he even got into any NEWTs classes at all.”
“Peter isn’t that stupid…he just isn’t as smart as the rest of his friends. He’s rather good at Defence though and was also quite good at Transfiguration last year. I’m surprised he didn’t get into the NEWTs class,” said Lily.
Severus snorted. He was surprised it was physically possible to place “Peter” and “smart” in the same sentence. Her defense of Pettigrew was pitiful, though Potter’s was more so.
“But I too think that Potter and Black could try a bit more in class. I believe it is more rewarding that way. They do not pay attention yet do fabulous in class. It’s interesting how people are successful that way while others have to work their ***** off to have the same attainment,” said Lily sadly.
Severus responded with a nod and began to get back to work, though after a minute of silence he randomly murmured, “And what the hell is with those stupid pet names they have for each other?”
Lily’s laughter bounced off the walls, and it was oddly contagious, causing Severus to smile ever so slightly.
“They started using it last year. Don’t know where they got it from. I think its kinda cute actually,” Lily shrugged. Severus snorted and continued to work.
“Have you a date to the ball?” Lily asked ten minutes later.
“No,” Severus said, wondering why she was always so interested with his social life and after a sincere exchange, turn to asking about such trivial matters. Evan’s continued dumbfound him.
“Oh. Andrew Jacobson asked me today,” Lily said. He didn’t have to look up to know that she had a silly girlish grin on her face. “He is such a sweet guy…cute too.”
Severus coughed.
“Can I ask you something?” Lily said.
“No,” Severus said, scribbling down what do when a magical hydrangea plant expels it’s venomous substance.
“Who do you want to go with?” Lily asked, ignoring him. His hand stopped, and ink gathered and seeped through his paper.
“I don’t busy myself with such insignificant things as dates—” Severus said, not looking up from his paper, staring at the ink collecting at the tip of the “e”.
“Who said it’s significant? I believe this whole ball is rather lame but I still think a date is nice,” Lily interrupted with a small scoff.
Severus gave Lily a cold look. This session was for studying, not figuring out who Severus could go to the ball with. Suddenly, a thought hit him. “Did you only want to be my study partner for some…sick, twisted, Gryffindor correlated joke?”
“W-what?” Lily asked, apparently taken aback, but he didn’t buy it.
“Is that why you were so eager? Ask Snape some questions and if he happens to spill something that could result into malicious, juicy gossip, tell everyone? Funny how you suddenly ask to be my study partner the day we find out about the ball. I wouldn’t be surprised if Black or Potter set you up for this,” Severus said, his voice getting louder with every word.
“No, not at all. I already told you why I want to study with you,” Lily said, her voice rising a little as well. “I don’t even listen to Potter.”
They were both quiet for a while, until Lily broke the silence.
“Why don’t you trust me?” Lily asked, obviously trying to ask in a careless tone.
“I don’t trust easily,” Severus said with condescension. “Unlike you, who probably trusts anyone smiling in your direction.”
He glanced up at her and saw her eyebrows furrow at her book, then he continued.
“That can be dangerous you know,” Severus said furtively.
“What’s that supposed to imply?” Lily snapped.
“Trust is risky,” Severus said simply. “Especially in times like these. You can’t even trust your own family anymore, let alone your friends or mere acquaintances.”
“I know who to trust and who not to trust,” Lily retorted. She looked rather tense, glancing quickly around the dull, dark room.
“Oh really?” Severus asked with a little simper, leaning back in his chair slightly. “Do you trust me?”
Lily’s bright green eyes met his black ones. He noticed her body stiffen but she continued to look straight at him, as though figuring him out with a simple regard.
“I—I’m not sure,” Lily said gently. “I…think I trust you.”
Severus narrowed his eyes. “Why?”
“I don’t know. You seem like someone I can trust. You seem…different than the rest,” Lily said, nibbling on her bottom lip.
“The rest of whom? The people of the Slytherin house?” Severus asked.
“Petty house rivalry doesn’t affect my views on people. Isn’t that evident? I know not all Slytherins are the same. Otherwise we wouldn’t even be together right now,” Lily said tightly.
“Which really doesn’t seem like such a bad thing at the moment—” Severus interrupted.
“By the rest I mean the self-proclaimed leaders of this school. Mostly the stuck up Purebloods of various houses. You don’t seem like the rest of the Purebloods you associate with. It’s nothing really,” Lily said quickly.
Severus’ lip curled. When she said that she trusted him, he felt as though he wasn’t doing his “job” (whatever that was). Though the passion in her voice surprised him
“So…you don’t trust me?” Lily asked, suddenly interested in the pattern of her blue quill.
“No,” Severus said truthfully.
“Luckily I didn’t have high expectations,” Lily sighed. “Hopefully you can gain it. And honestly…Potter doesn’t have anything to do with this studying arrangement.”
Severus didn’t reply. He didn’t know what to think, let alone say.
“You know,” Lily said, closing One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi, “You are the most introverted person I know. You are so guarded. Why?”
“It’s who I am,” Severus said.
“Is that who you are, or who you want to be? The mysterious, troubled boy in black. Trying to be a rebel without a cause?” Lily said with a small smile.
“No, I don’t want to be a rebel and I don’t believe I present myself as one. I don’t try to be mysterious, I don’t try to be troubled, and I don’t like many colors. Enough said,” Severus said defensively. Lily’s smile wilted. “I believe the intensions of studying together were academic only. No asking about one another or silly conversations about the color of their wardrobe.”
Lily sighed and went back to her book and he had an odd feeling of achievement.
“I should go now before it gets too late,” said Lily a while later. She collected her books and stood up. “Hopefully I can find my way out. Would you like to meet up again tomorrow?”
“Fine,” Severus said, hoping to sound very disappointed.
“Okay, same time, same place. I’ll see you later,” Lily said.
Lily left the room while he remained sitting in his cold chair, avoiding contemplating her comments.

XXX

What do you think? Fabulous? Good? Bad? ghastly? If you would like the link to my fanfiction, owl me. :)

EDIT: This takes place around the beginning of their 6th year...which means post Snape's Worst Memory.

MoonysAngel December 20th, 2005 5:45 am

random_musing, TBA, hermione_snape, sly_lady, wow! Thanks for sharing your work with us. I really love reading others' fics...so many wonderful ways to interpret out favorite character.

Ok, spamtime for me...a little. If any newcomers want to read some funny Voldy/Snape Christmas fun, scoot back up to the beginnings of this thread (about pg 18 or so) for "Voldy's Christmas Party". I myself asked Santa for "Dark Wizardry for Dummies" this year!:lol:

Sly_Lady December 20th, 2005 12:32 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonysAngel
random_musing, TBA, hermione_snape, sly_lady, wow! Thanks for sharing your work with us. I really love reading others' fics...so many wonderful ways to interpret out favorite character.

Ok, spamtime for me...a little. If any newcomers want to read some funny Voldy/Snape Christmas fun, scoot back up to the beginnings of this thread (about pg 18 or so) for "Voldy's Christmas Party". I myself asked Santa for "Dark Wizardry for Dummies" this year!:lol:

I am going out to Target today to see if they carry the Death Eater's Line of g0ld-dipped dead doxies for my tree. Thanks for the reminder, MoonysAngel. You've made me very happy this morning!
:rotfl: :rotfl:

The Black Adder December 21st, 2005 5:42 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sly Lady
I have to say I loved writing Bellatrix, but I guess a Bellatrix POV thread would be a sick, sick place, so I'm done with her.

The rest of my story can't go here, it has a bit more visceralness before things get weird, but it doesn't stay grim. In fact it's taking a turn toward silly. I'll link to it if I can figure out how.

Bellatrix and Snape scenes can be fun to write, as long as she doesn't have him at a disadvantage and kicking the heck out of him! :sigh: I see them as sort of Snape-Sirius scenes.

But I have to say, you have a streak of cruelty in you, Sly Lady, posting only a snippet from your story... I hope you will copy and paste the internet address for us to read more.

Oh, and thank you Sly Lady and Hermione Snape for thinking my Voldemort was "cool" and "freaky", respectively. And MoonysAngel, thanks for your comments as well.

Random Musing--Don't be shy. I like your Lily-Snape scene, though I also did think it came a bit late in the timeline. And I missed that there was no explanation as to how this study session came about or where they were. Boy, young Snape just doen't have a clue, does he? Poor guy.

Hermione Snape--Hmmm, your story has taken an interesting turn. I think I see where this could be going... Hmmmm

Billywiggy December 21st, 2005 7:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by random_musing
“Have you a date to the ball?” Lily asked ten minutes later.
“No,” Severus said, wondering why she was always so interested with his social life

OK - now I want to smack him! :rolleyes: He's acting a bit clueless here - kind of like Harry! ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermione Snape
Lily I think I might have chosen a side!

I'm surprised that you think he only switched sides at this point. I thought you wrote earlier that he was worried no one would trust him now. Why would he worry if he hadn't already chosen sides? Just wondering . . . :)

random_musing December 21st, 2005 9:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Black Adder
Random Musing--Don't be shy. I like your Lily-Snape scene, though I also did think it came a bit late in the timeline. And I missed that there was no explanation as to how this study session came about or where they were. Boy, young Snape just doen't have a clue, does he? Poor guy.

Thats my fault. That excerpt was a part of my fanfiction so there is some background info that I didn't explain. :p
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billywiggy
OK - now I want to smack him! :rolleyes: He's acting a bit clueless here - kind of like Harry! ;)

Hehe, yes. Lily doesn't like him romantically but she is rather fond of him at this point (she finds him mysterious...what girl wouldn't?!)

thestralgrin December 22nd, 2005 8:30 am

Loved reading your PoV, random_musing, especially the way you showed Severus's suspicious side jumping to the fore when it finally dawned on him what Lily was offering him,
Quote:

Originally Posted by random_musing
“I don’t busy myself with such insignificant things as dates—” Severus said, not looking up from his paper, staring at the ink collecting at the tip of the “e”.

- nice touch.

The Black Adder - great dialogue, you certainly had him playing Voldemort very cleverly, keeping himself *just* once step ahead of his ex-Master.

Quote:

But I have to say, you have a streak of cruelty in you, Sly Lady, posting only a snippet from your story... I hope you will copy and paste the internet address for us to read more.

I reccomend it, but I cant say much more than that ... ;)
(*gets off her rear to do some more Beta-ing*)

Edited To Add - I was looking around for something suitable & Christmas-themed to add to this, & managed to find a fanfic extract where the first 300 or so words should be appropriate enough to post here ... future scenario that comes with an angst & Character death warning;

Quote:

The festive display at Hogwarts that year had been the finest in a long time, the artisans and Elves improving their craft over each season. The Christmas lights winked and shimmered from every nook and cranny of the stone walls, in every colour and subtle shade of the spectrum. At night, the castle was outlined in the glow of a thousand pastel hues. In these relatively safer times, the student’s evening curfews had been adjusted, to allow them to enjoy and appreciate the sight.

Standing outdoors in the gently falling snow, was the current headmaster, but he had not come out tonight to admire the pretty lights. With his back to the castle, he walked along a row of graves, at the end of which sat a white tomb covered in snow. Next to it was another, almost as new. That one had been hewn neatly from a rare red marble, streaked with gold.

My dear friend, he thought, upon reaching the white tomb … he still found it hard, sometimes, to believe that there was no war in the Wizarding world, that he knew of ... If only you were here to see this now … to see how this place has come back from the war. Checking to see that nobody could see him, the wizard wrapped himself deeper into his dark robes, fortifying himself against the chill of the air. With a long-fingered hand, he wiped the snow from the white tomb, clearing the inscription, which read: ‘Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore’. He closed his eyes, which suddenly felt warm and heavy, and hoped fervently that no one would come looking for him right now.

It took him less than a minute to regain his composure, though, before he turned his attention to the other tomb. That one had been carved in such a way, that the snow had only obscured its inscription in the worst years since the war, when the drifts were so deep as to almost cover it. Harry James Potter, he thought, you too should have been here, seeing this, boy - but you only listened to me when it was already too late for you … he laid a hand on the head of the tomb … though at least you still managed to finish your job, before you went...

The Black Adder December 22nd, 2005 10:17 pm

Thestralgrin--Thanks! I'm glad to hear Snape comes across as "clever" to you. And thanks for sharing your Christmas-set future POV. :upset: Poor Harry. But at least he finally listened to Snape!

Hermione Snape--At least I think I see... I actually just popped in to post this last before Christmas and all. I want to read and comment on your most recent here when I have a tad more time to devote. So I'll be back.

Celebration
Chapter 4

Snape looked up guardedly through the dark strands of his hair. "What do you mean?" His heart raced as his hand slipped stealthily into his robes and around his wand. “In what way do you feel I have been contaminated by Dumbledore?”

The volatile wizard turned and glided away towards the window at the end of the corridor. Snape waited, allowing Nagini to undulate past him as well, slithering from out of a room behind them towards her two-legged soul-mate.

Carefully, Snape approached the pair, where his master glowered out of the window. "I find you promising, Severus. You have an intelligence that allows you to grasp possibilities that others do not. And it has not escaped my notice that you have grown in power during your years with Dumbledore. You are one of the few of my followers whose company is not an absolute annoyance to me. In many ways you remind me of myself…in years gone by."

“In what do I displease you then, Master?” Snape inquired sincerely.

"If you wish to continue to progress in the Dark Arts, you will need to lose your unfortunate habit of forming attachments to others. It is your weakness,” he pronounced distastefully. “It will be your undoing. I remember years ago, there was that mudblood female…" He tossed off the last with another note of his displeasure.

"Thank you, Master, I was not aware..." Snape said softly.

Snape waited patiently while Voldemort gazed out at the celebration below. The Dark Lord raised his wand and a green undulating serpent flew into the sky, swallowing the fireworks just shot up from below, and then exploding in a chaotic palette of brilliant colors and shooting stars in the sky. The crowd looked up to the window and cheered at their master’s display.

“They are so easily amused. But then they would cheer no matter what I did, wouldn’t they?” A small smile of satisfaction tugged at the pale, less than human face.

Silently, Snape watched and waited.

Still looking out at the sky, Voldemort spoke again. "I will give you the boy with one proviso. If he doesn't measure up, you will be the one to terminate him."

Snape hesitated no more than a moment. "I understand."

As Lord Voldemort sent another serpent of green light into the dark sky, a glint of triumph appeared momentarily in Snape's dark eyes.

Nagini hissed and the Dark Lord turned his snake like face to hers. “Patience…” he said, drawing out the end of the word. He reached into his robes and pulled out a wriggling rodent treat which he tossed for the large snake to catch in her eager jaws.

Snape tried to restrain a smile of amusement as his hairless master suddenly reminded him of Hagrid and the way the bushy half-giant played with his own monstrous creatures.

"You may regret not asking more of me, Severus, than merely your choice of assistant,” the dark wizard said, while conjuring more treats for his large pet. "You were interested in a position at St. Mungos once, as I recall.”

Snape raised his brow. "Yes… a long time ago..."

"I remember very well, when you first came to me. Angry that your enemies had made it impossible for you to obtain employment in the career of your choice.”

Snape found himself suddenly immersed in a flood of memories and emotions from that time. He suddenly realized how very close he was to achieving everything he had ever desired or sought when he had first come to the Dark Lord--power, respect, knowledge…and steady employment. The irony of it all. Dumbledore had given him a great gift. And a tremendous temptation. How easy it would be to continue in the service of the Dark Lord and ascend along with this very powerful wizard.

Snape shuddered, angry with himself for feeling once again the pull of the Dark Lord’s seduction. He had to keep his wits about him. “Then you believe we are that close to victory?” he asked.

Voldemort smiled as he held aloft a terrified small mammal for Nagini to take from his long, pale fingertips. He held on, even as Nagini tried to pull it away, in a sick tug of war. "With Dumbledore gone, it is only a matter of time. What do you make of Scrimgeour?”

“I only met him once,” Snape stated, remembering his brief run-in with Aurors a long time ago, in their custody prior to Dumbledore vouching for him. “Can’t say I cared for the man. Dumbledore has him in the same mold as Mad-Eye Moody, only not as clever. He’d rather go down fighting than capitulate, I think.”

“Then we will allow him to go down fighting…” Voldemort chillingly pronounced sentence. “And then, of course, you will have a choice to make.”

“A choice--?” Snape asked guardedly.

To be continued...

Sorry, nothing Christmasy here, but Merry Christmas all the same...or Happy Hanakah, or joyous holiday of your choice!

thestralgrin December 22nd, 2005 11:02 pm

Hermione Snape, like the action happening in that one - and Snape's annoyance at Harry saying the seeking spell out loud ... in a different situation (and different company), he'd probably quietly start banging his head against the nearest wall ...

The Black Adder, once again, written with some very good insight. Liked the image of Voldemort playing with Nagini as he was feeding her, while reminding Snape of his frustrated ambition ... I wonder how aware he would be of Snape's other priorities?

Quote:

I remember years ago, there was that mudblood female…" He tossed off the last with another note of his displeasure.

"Thank you, Master, I was not aware..." Snape said softly.

- Nice touch, Snape's suppressed anger at Voldemort's little dig at Lily.

53550anho December 22nd, 2005 11:04 pm

Uh, Black Adder, how cruel of you to end there, now I will spend the holiday wondering about the choice.
You are a very good writer and I think you have them spot on, just as I imagine them.
I hope JKR is lurking here,she would really enjoy herself. You are all fantastic.

Thanks for the entertainment to Hermione Snape,Sly Lady and Random Musing as well.

Billywiggy December 23rd, 2005 1:51 am

thestralgrin - I liked it! :tu: Very angsty. I also like that you have Snape not only surviving, but being the Headmaster. I would love to see this happen!
Quote:

Potter drew his wand out and sent a seeking spell after us, outloud! I rolled my eyes

:D I can see him rolling his eyes now! 'Mouth shut, Potter!'
Quote:

Nagini hissed and the Dark Lord turned his snake like face to hers. “Patience…” he said, drawing out the end of the word.

OK - now I know I'm a diehard Rickman fan and all . . . but this made me think of one of Sarris' lines in Galaxy Quest - 'Patience!' :lol: Sorry - had to share!
Quote:

“And then, of course, you will have a choice to make.”

“A choice--?” Snape asked guardedly.

It's official - you are evil.

Another well done scene, TBA! You've really fleshed out Voldemort well - I like that he's almost human . . . 'playing' with his snake, mocking his followers, and showing his frustration at their imbecility. You've made him threatening and creepy, but not over the top - good job! :tu:

BookWhizzbee December 24th, 2005 12:37 am

Quote:

Dumbledore had given him a great gift. And a tremendous temptation.

That is so true. Dumbledore may have trusted Snape more than he trusts himself.
Quote:

Dumbledore has him in the same mold as Mad-Eye Moody

Is that Snape forgetting again that Dumbledore is dead or you forgetting it? ;)

eVaNeScEnCe December 24th, 2005 3:13 am

nice work everyone! And random, glad to see you start dabbling in the expressive art that is Snape fanfiction. :D cute fic, keep up the good work.

random_musing December 24th, 2005 5:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eVaNeScEnCe
nice work everyone! And random, glad to see you start dabbling in the expressive art that is Snape fanfiction.

Its so hard! *facepalm*

I suppose it would be easier if my personality was really close to his...which it isn't. 1977!Snape would probably hate me. :p

(By fic do you mean that drabble or the actual fic I'm working on?)

The Black Adder December 27th, 2005 10:30 pm

HermioneSnape--Poor Severus. He can’t get anybody to believe him that Hermione is in danger! Who will he turn to next? You are becoming as evil as I am in making us wait. :evil:

Quote:

"Potter!" Draco scoffed. "I don't want to go anywhere near four-eyes. I thought you hated him as well sir?" he looked at me, darn that Occlumency teaching I averted my gaze. "You kissed the Mudblood as well!"

I think you may mean Legilimancy here. Occlumency is the blocking of the mind, Legilimancy is the penetrating and “reading of it” (using a muggle term that Snape would despise). Lots of fans get these two confused. It’s a bugaboo of mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herminone Snape
"You-know-who?" he questioned. "Only the Order members call him that."

Mmmm, I don’t mean to be anal, but most of the wizarding world uses You Know Who, not just Order members.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thestralgrin
The Black Adder, once again, written with some very good insight. Liked the image of Voldemort playing with Nagini as he was feeding her, while reminding Snape of his frustrated ambition ... I wonder how aware he would be of Snape's other priorities?

Thanks, Thestralgrin! I’m assuming here that Severus was much more open with Voldemort when he first went to him, before he realized that the Dark Lord would use his desires and concerns against him.

Thank you for the feedback as well, 5355anho, Billywiggy, Bookwhizzbee, Evanescence. Maybe I shouldn’t say this, but the ending isn’t as ominous as it sounds. But then, that is always the case with cliffhangers, isn’t it? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billywiggy
OK - now I know I'm a diehard Rickman fan and all . . . but this made me think of one of Sarris' lines in Galaxy Quest - 'Patience!' Sorry - had to share!

I love Galaxy Quest! But sadly I don’t remember when Sarris says that line.

Quote:

Dumbledore has him in the same mold as Mad-Eye Moody
BookWhizzbee:
Is that Snape forgetting again that Dumbledore is dead or you forgetting it?
Good catch! I was going to correct the tense after I wrote it, but considered that people often continue to speak of the dead as they always have. Habits of speech don’t change immediately, I think. :shrug:

LouisaB December 28th, 2005 2:57 pm

I know it has been ages but here is the next part of the Snape and Wormtail story I started way back on this thread. For those (probably everyone) who don't remember here is the story so far in a nutshell.

Snape needed help at Spinner's End. Voldemort wanted Wormtail out from under his feet. So they are thrown together for the six weeks of holidays and to top it all off Voldemort is in the middle of one of his "episodes" and is convinced that the latest threat that must be eliminated is the Easter Bunny. And Snape has been charged with producing said Bunny in two weeks. The strain is starting to get to Snape and he has accidentally cast a rather loud spell in his house without setting up a charm so that the neighbours aren't disturbed.

And here is the next part.

Severus stood outside with the rest of the neighbours as they all looked wildly around as they tried to establish where the loud bang had emanated from.

“It must have been an earth tremor,” Severus said in a loud voice that quietened down all but the most hysterical of the neighbours. “We must have been near to the epicentre.”

A few nods from the confused neighbours and Severus pressed his case home before returning inside knowing that the muggles would believe anything he told them as long as it sounded reasonable. They only saw what they wanted to, something for which he had had cause to be thankful for on various occasions in the past.

Inside the house he knew instantly that Wormtail was not going to buy into the earthquake story.

“What was that noise?” Wormtail asked as he looked out of the window with a worried frown and watched the last of the neighbours return to their houses.

“It was a warning for you from the Dark Lord,” Severus improvised. “He’s not happy with your lazing around here.”

“I’ve not been lazing around,” Wormtail whined as he tried to subtly step to the side and hide the remnants of Severus’s luxury size box of chocolate frogs, which he had spent the past hour finishing off.

“The Dark Lord knows otherwise,” Severus hissed as he pushed Wormtail aside and saw that there was not a single frog left.

“I’ll go tell him the truth,” Wormtail said as he moved towards the fireplace and put his hand up to grab the floo powder. “Huh?”

“I put the floo powder away in a safe place,” Severus smirked. “And if the Dark Lord wanted to hear from you, don’t you think he’d have summoned you for the meeting?”

“Why wasn’t I summoned?” Wormtail asked, the thought clearly never having crossed his mind until that moment.

Severus cursed himself silently, knowing that Voldemort had probably meant to summon Wormtail too, and only his temporary insanity had made him forget. He had certainly noticed Wormtail’s absence and had questioned it. Thankfully he had bought the story Severus had spun, that Wormtail had in fact known about the Easter Bunny threat and was weaving baskets that were going to be charmed into listening devices and carefully planted into the enemy camps.

Severus smiled to himself as he conjured up the raw materials that Wormtail would need before explaining. With each word he took renewed pleasure in the look of annoyance on Wormtail’s face.

“Next time I’m coming to the meeting with you,” Wormtail said.

Severus remained silent as he left the room and hoped that Voldemort’s sanity soon returned. Because in two weeks time he was expecting an audience with the Easter Bunny, courtesy of Severus.

Severus left Wormtail pulling apart the basket weaving items and called to him a parting shot of “remember you’re making baskets and not a nest” as he went outside.

Looking first towards one garden and then another he decided to at least see how many of the neighbours had pet rabbits. If worst came to the worst and Voldemort was still unhinged in two weeks perhaps Severus could get away with using an engorging spell on one of the neighbourhood pets and dressing it up a bit. A couple of ribbons and he'd never know the difference.

Two gardens along the row and he found the first rabbit hutch. Carefully he whispered “Alohomora” and the door sprang open.

“Oy, what d'you think you’re doing?” a voice yelled from the doorway behind him.

Severus jumped up and turned to face the muggle owner of the house.

“What’re you doing to Bugs?” a young girl asked as she dashed around her father and ran to the hutch. “He’s trying to steal Bugs,” she said as she secured the hutch again and turned to Severus with a glare that would rival Voldemort’s.

“You stay right there mister,” the man in the doorway ordered. “Gladys call the cops, we’ve got a rabbit thief here.”

Severus wasn’t worried until he reached for his wand and found it was not where he normally carried it. Recalling getting stuck for a moment in the hedge two gardens away he knew that he must have accidentally dropped the want as he’d crawled through.

“They’re on their way,” Gladys said as she came to the door too and looked at the captured thief. “Severus?” she asked in shock.

Oh no, Severus thought as he closed his eyes momentarily.

“You know him?” her husband asked in confusion.

“It’s Severus from down the road,” Gladys explained. “You must have met him Bert. He’s lived here as long as I have. We grew up here together.”

“You never mentioned an old boyfriend living here,” Bert answered as Severus paled in horror and the glare of the young girl turned into an assessing gaze.

“Why were you trying to steal Bugs?” the girl asked, taking a step back and keeping one cautious eye on the hutch.

“Maybe Severus’s pet toad wanted some company,” Gladys suggested with a sickly sweet smile that Severus found rather alarming. “I’ll go call the police and tell them it’s a misunderstanding. Won’t you join us Severus?”

Severus looked longingly at fence he had climbed over and the hedge on the far side beyond before he remembered that Wormtail was back at his house and his company was even less preferable to the muggles in front of him.

“I’d be delighted,” Severus replied as he tried to keep the sneer in his voice to a minimum.

An hour later and Severus was bored out of his mind as Gladys recalled story after story of their time growing up on the street as children. Unfortunately most of the things she recalled were not of things they had done together as children, but rather the result of the numerous memory charms that had been cast by his mother on the nosy child who had been forever popping over to the Snape household for one odd reason or another.

The only thing more annoying than the reminiscing of Gladys was the continual questioning of her daughter Doreen.

“Do you really have a pet toad?”…..”It died. Now I have a rat, who bites.”

“Why don’t I ever see you round here?”….”I work at a boarding school.”

“Are you really a school teacher?”….”Yes.”

“Why don’t you teach at my school?”….”Because I don’t.”

“What subject do you teach?”….”Er….”

“Can I see your rat?”

Severus smiled to himself at the thought of Wormtail being played with and pulled about by the irritating girl, but no, as tempting as the thought was he had no intention of letting him have the cushy job of being a pet again. He’d had more than enough of that at the Weasley house.

Eventually Severus made his excuses and returned home to find Wormtail had long since given up on the basket weaving and had instead decided to help himself to the six pack of butterbeer.

He had barely had time to throw Wormtail out of his seat before the sound of an owl tapping on the window drew his attention. He opened the window and let in Minerva’s owl and saw that she was going to be arriving shortly with news from Hogwarts.

“Minerva McGonagall will be here any minute. You’ll have to hide.”

Wormtail disappeared up the stairs and Severus went to the back door to retrieve his wand before Minerva arrived. He saw that he was too late however and she was coming through the hedge in her cat form, his wand carefully between her teeth.

He stepped aside to let her in and after he had taken his wand back she transformed into her usual self.

“You really should be more careful with that,” Minerva said with a shake of her head. “What was it doing in your neighbour’s hedge?”

Severus groaned and shook his head.

“We know that Voldemort’s planning something,” Minerva said, cutting out the small talk that she knew he disliked. “We’ve started getting some disturbing reports.”

“Reports?” Severus asked.

“We received the first earlier this evening about a robbery at the dragon conservation colony. Several dragon eggs were stolen. We suspect that Voldemort is planning on trying to train them to attack which would be disastrous.”

“I shouldn’t worry about that report,” Severus said. “What else have you heard?”

“Well we heard from one of our spies working at a muggle tabloid paper that they are running a story about a spate of thefts today at London pet stores. We wouldn’t have noticed it except the reporter is sure it is the same gang and the only way they could have got around the city so quickly is with magic. The muggles haven’t noticed that but it’s only a matter of time. Do you know what Voldemort might want with the rabbits that have been stolen?”

“I’d ignore that report too, if I were you.”

“Is there something you’re not telling me?” Minerva asked as Severus studiously ignored her and looked at the rather hideous portrait of one his grandparents that hung on the wall.

“Severus?” she encouraged.

“Voldemort is convinced that the Easter Bunny is a threat to him,” Severus finally blurted out.

He looked at Minerva and watched the expressions flit across her face, disbelief, confusion, understanding and finally the wicked sense of humour that not everyone was fortunate enough to see.

He felt the involuntary twitching of his own mouth and a moment later they were both in stitches as they laughed and Severus filled her in on the details.

It was a couple of hours later when Minerva left and another hour after that before Wormtail ventured downstairs again.

“You sounded like you were having fun?” Wormtail questioned as he scurried around the edge of the room. “Giving away all the Dark Lord’s secrets. I don’t think he’d be too pleased to hear about that.”

“The Easter Bunny is a threat to everyone,” Severus said without looking up from the Daily Prophet where he saw that Wormtail had not only started the crossword he normally did himself each evening, he’d filled it in incorrectly.

“I don’t think the Dark Lord would see it like that,” Wormtail said as he looked through the cupboards for the floo powder and found another mousetrap.

Severus smiled as Wormtail squealed.

Tossing aside the paper he stood up to leave the room, thinking how much nicer it had been when Wormtail had been out of the way. There was nothing else for it, he’d have to start entertaining everyone he knew in the wizard world in order to ensure that Wormtail stayed out of the way.

Severus Snape…Social Butterfly. Somehow it just didn’t sound quite right.

53550anho December 29th, 2005 1:04 am

Thank you for returning, LouisaB. I have been missing your peeping into Snape´s homelife with the rat.
Maybe he should try ´to transfigure Wormtail into the Easter bunny.

MoonysAngel December 29th, 2005 6:26 am

LouisaB, that's just too funny. Snape may need some new mousetraps before too long.

Maybe Voldy's watched Monty Python & the Holy Grail too many times...