Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Anime (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Bleach: The Manga and Anime (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=96645)

Alfonzo October 13th, 2006 4:08 pm

Bleach: The Manga and Anime

I'm sure I made a thread about this before, but it seems to have been deleted, so I'll try again...

This thread is about the discussion of the popular anime and manga series Bleach.
The whole series is fairly new (as far as I'm aware), but gaining popularity steadily, with an already large fanbase. Whether you've never seen it before and are curious as to what it's about, or a fan of the series, this thread is for you.

Lets just see where we go from here. Have at it!

NOTE
This is not a thread in which to request manga or anime, nor is it one in which to enquire where you can download either the anime or the manga. COS does not support scanslation or free anime download services, and users who ask where to find these will be punished accordingly.

SSJ_Jup81 October 13th, 2006 5:58 pm

Re: Bleach

The series started back in fall of 2004 in Japan, to my knowledge, and is still going. I just recently started watching it. A friend of mine had subbed episodes and gave me the first 16. I actually had episodes downloaded for a friend after it first started, but I never watched it myself, and ended up losing them and never had the opportunity to burn them before the computer died due to the fact that I didn't have any blank cds, and my father wasn't going to let me use his, or the computer in general since he kinda got "control" of that particular one.

Anyway, it's a very interesting series and also intriguing how various series differ in the whole "Death God" type story. Each is told differently. The series Deathnote comes to mind, and as you can see for that, their Shinigami are actually quite gruesome looking; for a series like Bleach, they look like typical humans and aren't immortal or anything like that.

The other thing I like about the series so far is the music. The background themes are pretty good. I wouldn't mind hearing the OSTs released for it so far. I also love that first ending theme, Life is like a Boat by Rie fu. That song is what made me a fan of hers in the first place, even though, at the time I heard the song, I didn't know it was used for Bleach. So, this is a situation where I became a fan of an artist through a song without knowing it was for an anime. No anime exposure for this one. lol

SiriusLoveGirl October 14th, 2006 6:07 am

I've been watching the dub on Adult Swim, and I really like it. I'd already watched the first episode with subtitles and read about the manga in Shonen Jump, so I decided to watch it. And now I'm a fan.

I love Life is lLike a Boat too! I'm trying to memorize the lyrics. Oh, and ASTERISK is great too.

SSJ_Jup81 October 14th, 2006 7:51 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriusLoveGirl (Post 4127430)
I've been watching the dub on Adult Swim, and I really like it.

How is the dub in comparison to the original voice acting wise?
Quote:

I love Life is lLike a Boat too! I'm trying to memorize the lyrics.
You know, the lyrics for this song are fairly easy. I learned it by ear, for the most part, because of the way Rie fu pronounces her words, it made it somewhat easy...'cept for when she runs words together and her English is pretty much flawless, imo. I think I've only heard one song by her where the English she used was a bit off.

I like Rie fu so much, I went and bought her first two albums. Too bad ROSE ALBUM, which came out earlier this year, didn't do as well as her first album, Rie fu, which is on my favs list and best purchase I ever made. Sucks I had to order it online from cdjapan (I shoulda tried amazon.jp), but it was worth it. :grin:

Oh, and I've still never listened to Asterisk. I just know it's by ORANGE RANGE (isn't it?), and I haven't kept up with that group since about 2004. I just know they made a killing on Japan's Oricon's Charts last year. Seems practically everything they put out got in the top 10.

Alfonzo October 14th, 2006 10:10 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 (Post 4127541)
How is the dub in comparison to the original voice acting wise?

Eh... I didn't like it. Maybe that was because I'd practically watched 97 episodes of the japanese before that though ;). I personally think it is best to try both, to try and find which you like best. Cowboy Bebop, for example, is far better to watch in English dub (imo) than the Japanese...

Quote:

Oh, and I've still never listened to Asterisk. I just know it's by ORANGE RANGE (isn't it?), and I haven't kept up with that group since about 2004. I just know they made a killing on Japan's Oricon's Charts last year. Seems practically everything they put out got in the top 10.
Whatwhatwhat?? It's a brilliant song! If you've watched the first opening sequence then you've heard a condensed version of it; the actual song is a little different, and a lot longer, but still awesome. :D

Tenshi October 14th, 2006 2:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonzo (Post 4127612)
Eh... I didn't like it. Maybe that was because I'd practically watched 97 episodes of the japanese before that though ;). I personally think it is best to try both, to try and find which you like best. Cowboy Bebop, for example, is far better to watch in English dub (imo) than the Japanese...

:lol: Same here. So nearly all episodes I watched in Original with titles. Dubbed version is so strange, so totally different voices. :shrug:

Ah come on, Uverworld (2nd opening) is soo the best song from whole Bleach. Asterix is also a good one. Oh and "My Pace". This is such a weird song that it's cool at the same time.

I wonder when the Bount arc will end in the Anime. In 10 episodes? In 50? Or will they never go back to the Manga again ...

Alfonzo October 14th, 2006 2:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TENSHI (Post 4127744)
:lol: Same here. So nearly all episodes I watched in Original with titles. Dubbed version is so strange, so totally different voices. :shrug:

Ah come on, Uverworld (2nd opening) is soo the best song from whole Bleach. Asterix is also a good one. Oh and "My Pace". This is such a weird song that it's cool at the same time.

I wonder when the Bount arc will end in the Anime. In 10 episodes? In 50? Or will they never go back to the Manga again ...

I hate the american voices for the english dub. Blergh.

I totally can't remember the 2nd opening, but I maintain that Asterisk is the best one, so there. :p I hate 'My pace'.

I'm thinking that the bounto arc will end soon. In the latest opening sequnces, we see Gin and Aizen, and also flashes of
Spoiler: show
Ichigo fighting his hollow self
. That makes me think they'll be getting back to the real story soon. About blooming time methinks... :D

Tenshi October 14th, 2006 2:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonzo (Post 4127763)
I hate the american voices for the english dub. Blergh.

I totally can't remember the 2nd opening, but I maintain that Asterisk is the best one, so there. :p I hate 'My pace'.

I'm thinking that the bounto arc will end soon. In the latest opening sequnces, we see Gin and Aizen, and also flashes of
Spoiler: show
Ichigo fighting his hollow self
. That makes me think they'll be getting back to the real story soon. About blooming time methinks... :D

I don't think you can go after the openings and closings. In the Bount arc opening they showed that Toshiro and Byakuya are in the real world and such things. But this never happend.

The only thing for me that suggests that it will be over soon is that they entered Soul Society and the final battle will be there.

Alfonzo October 14th, 2006 3:20 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TENSHI (Post 4127768)
The only thing for me that suggests that it will be over soon is that they entered Soul Society and the final battle will be there.

Well yeah there is that too :).

Alfonzo October 25th, 2006 10:11 pm

...anybody have any thoughts on Isshin?

Dobby October 26th, 2006 9:23 am

I think Bleach dubbed is one of the best dubbed anime I've ever seen. I think all of the characters sound perfect (so far from what I can tell). And this is coming from a subbed fan. I'll re-think about the voices once more characters a introduced though (Yoruichi, all the captains and vice captains).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonzo (Post 4152163)

Manga-wise or anime-wise? Either way, he's different something more than meets the eye.

DarwinMayflower October 26th, 2006 9:39 am

I find it a bit weird that my Bleach anime thread a while back got closed and yet this one continues to stay open. I could say it's unfair, but whatever life goes on.

Anyways I saw the dub and yes it is pretty much a very well done dub. Far better than Naruto for my tastes. At times it really does seem like it was almost made in North America in the first place. There are some points that are a bit off, but hopefully the voice actors will get a bit better when it get's to the soul society arc.

Alfonzo October 26th, 2006 11:43 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower (Post 4153293)
I find it a bit weird that my Bleach anime thread a while back got closed and yet this one continues to stay open. I could say it's unfair, but whatever life goes on.

The reason that the last thread got closed was because it almost got turned into a place where people where requesting places to download the anime and the manga. COS doesn't support that jazz, so the thread was closed.

Tenshi October 26th, 2006 11:55 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonzo (Post 4152163)

First thought on Isshin: Wow what a violent father. Poor Ichigo and Karin. *pities*

And I still have this thought.

I havenít read the manga, so I donít know what will happen there after they left Soul Society again (there were the Bount arc starts in the anime). OK, I know about Isshin and that there's more about him and what that is. But as I haven't read it, I can't say if that would change my opinion of him.

TheRealDJ October 30th, 2006 6:46 am

Bleach is a fantastic show. Favorite character: Shunsui. He rocks.

Fantasy Moon October 31st, 2006 5:39 am

I love the manga. Although I'm a little behind since the last volume I purchased was 8 and that was so long ago. Horihime and the flower power!

I've watched episode 1 of the anime, but I didn't really get hooked on it.

DarwinMayflower October 31st, 2006 5:54 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasy Moon (Post 4157900)
I love the manga. Although I'm a little behind since the last volume I purchased was 8 and that was so long ago. Horihime and the flower power!

I've watched episode 1 of the anime, but I didn't really get hooked on it.

The Bleach Anime does take a bit to getting used to. I watched it first and then read a bit of the Manga. I am quite surprised as to how closely it does follow the manga; almost frame for frame.

Alfonzo January 7th, 2007 7:58 pm

Alright. The anime filler has ended. Finally it will now begin to go down the same path as the manga ^_^

TheRealDJ January 7th, 2007 10:06 pm

I do have to say that bleach has done a fantastic job with the fillers. Even though they were still fillers and the main characters didn't gain any new abilities, it was fairly seamless the transition to fillers and back to normal plot. Unlike Naruto where every episode screams filler.

Tenshi January 7th, 2007 10:10 pm

I just saw today the last episode of the Bount Arc. Can't wait to see the next episodes, when it finally goes back to the old Aizen story (at least I hope it goes back). I didn't like the Bount Arc that much. But I'm fine with anything as long as there appears Toshiro and they use Bankai. :lol: