Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101059)

BlackFenix February 26th, 2007 11:19 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5

I was re-reading PoA again and realised that in Diviniation Trelewney(sp?) keeps forshadowing Harry's death.

Could it be possible that her predictions of Harry's death could actually be true but instead of dieing in PoA Harry will die in DH.

She has gotten a few important things right in the past!

dubbleB February 26th, 2007 12:08 pm

Trelawney is never right except when she makes a prediction whitout her knowing what she said,when she goes in a sort of trance and speeks with that odd voice

remusfan February 26th, 2007 10:55 pm

I know that I'm in the minority, but again, I believe that Harry will sacrifice himself to kill Voldemort. Who says that Harry dying still can't make for a happy ending? What I really want to see is Harry being reunited with his parents, Sirius, and Dumbledore. It could be a very inspirational ending. Even though Jo said that the last word will probably be scar, I would love to see a repeat of the tribute,

Quote:

people meeting in secret all over the country were holding up their glasses and saying in hushed voices: "To Harry Potter - the boy who lived!" [SS, American version, p. 17]
To Harry Potter, the boy who lived, past tense. The book won't achieve enough emotional value for me if Harry survives. In some ways, it would ruin the most amazing literary work of its time by creating a shallow ending where Harry and Ginny get married and have many children. Even if your view is completely different than mine, will you just think about it in this way for a while? Please?

As a final thought, we are forgetting Dumbledore when he so rightfully says, "death is but the next great adventure."

sparkly February 26th, 2007 11:47 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by remusfan (Post 4368280)
I know that I'm in the minority, but again, I believe that Harry will sacrifice himself to kill Voldemort. Who says that Harry dying still can't make for a happy ending? What I really want to see is Harry being reunited with his parents, Sirius, and Dumbledore. It could be a very inspirational ending. Even though Jo said that the last word will probably be scar, I would love to see a repeat of the tribute,

To Harry Potter, the boy who lived, past tense. The book won't achieve enough emotional value for me if Harry survives. In some ways, it would ruin the most amazing literary work of its time by creating a shallow ending where Harry and Ginny get married and have many children. Even if your view is completely different than mine, will you just think about it in this way for a while? Please?

As a final thought, we are forgetting Dumbledore when he so rightfully says, "death is but the next great adventure."

But Harry said in book six that Sirius would want him to live his life and not brood over losing him, and Dumbledore praised Harry when he said that. Dumbledore was not talking about Harry but himself when he said death was the next great adventure. JKR has clearly indicated that Harry has moved past mourning the death of his parents and Sirius, and there's no indication that he wants to rejoin them. In fact, JKR has written Harry so he's got more reason to live than to die. He's building a relationship with Ginny and looking forward to a future without Voldermort. Harry won't be killing Voldermort merely to avenge his parents and Sirius but to eliminate him from the world that Harry wants to live in.

Dumbledore and Harry weren't really that close for Harry to mourn him in the same way he would his parents or his godfather. Harry regarded Dumbledore as a mentor, but not as a parent. Of course he will be saddened by his death, but Harry will never miss Dumbledore so much he would want to die in order to be reunited with him.

I'm sorry you've already closed your mind to an ending other than what you described. I can see many ways the book can end well with Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione still alive. Death would be the easy way out for JKR, IMO, because then the characters have no responsibility for the world that remains after Voldermort is gone. The wizarding world will need a lot of rebuilding and they will need strong wizards and witches to do that.

LikeLuna February 26th, 2007 11:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by remusfan (Post 4368280)
The book won't achieve enough emotional value for me if Harry survives. In some ways, it would ruin the most amazing literary work of its time by creating a shallow ending where Harry and Ginny get married and have many children.

How would this be a shallow ending? Harry is willing to give up his own life for the lives of those he loves - to me, whether or not he has to do it is not significant.

remusfan February 27th, 2007 12:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeLuna (Post 4368378)
How would this be a shallow ending? Harry is willing to give up his own life for the lives of those he loves - to me, whether or not he has to do it is not significant.

I'm just saying that it wouldn't be very original, and not as emotionally powerful, either. But these are only my opinions. Please stop attacking me! I'm very alone in these views, and I'm merely stating them! :sigh:

BlackFenix February 27th, 2007 1:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbleB (Post 4367478)
Trelawney is never right except when she makes a prediction whitout her knowing what she said,when she goes in a sort of trance and speeks with that odd voice

Further on in PoA at the christmas lunch when she arrives late and at first refused saying that the 1st to stand woul die We are not told who gets up fist, it could have easily been Dumbledore. -PoA 170 uk

sparkly February 27th, 2007 1:31 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by remusfan (Post 4368389)
I'm just saying that it wouldn't be very original, and not as emotionally powerful, either. But these are only my opinions. Please stop attacking me! I'm very alone in these views, and I'm merely stating them! :sigh:

No one's attacking you, they're just disagreeing. Many of us look for evidence in the books for what will happen regardless of their personal opinion. I find a lot of evidence in the books that Harry will live.

remusfan February 27th, 2007 1:47 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkly (Post 4368503)
No one's attacking you, they're just disagreeing. Many of us look for evidence in the books for what will happen regardless of their personal opinion. I find a lot of evidence in the books that Harry will live.

I don't really have any specific evidence as to why I think Harry will die in DH, but I don't think that this is one of those instances when that kind of evidence can be used. It's more from a literary standpoint than anything else.

I just want people to think more about my theories than to just look at the straight evidence and shoot it down right away. :)

magicalmysteryg February 27th, 2007 2:24 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackFenix (Post 4368486)
Further on in PoA at the christmas lunch when she arrives late and at first refused saying that the 1st to stand woul die We are not told who gets up fist, it could have easily been Dumbledore. -PoA 170 uk

actually, ron and harry get up at the same time!

Rictus February 27th, 2007 3:07 am

I think no one can know for sure, obviously. The evidence may be there, but what if she throws a curveball to defy all logic? It's her story, she can do what she likes.

dubbleB February 27th, 2007 2:04 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rictus (Post 4368676)
I think no one can know for sure, obviously. The evidence may be there, but what if she throws a curveball to defy all logic? It's her story, she can do what she likes.

that is indeed an option but Rowling is a very logical wrighter ,I ve never got the feeling while reading her books that things made a sudden curveball except with Snape and in a way I could see it comming after trelawney made her last prediction in book 6

dktkt February 27th, 2007 8:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbleB (Post 4366643)
of caurse he won't die because that will mean Voldemort will live and Rowling will never allow that to happen
neither can live while the other survives

:huh: Uhm.. doesn't this just mean that they both can't live, not that they both can't die. I.e., they can both be dead, but not both be alive.

I think Harry's going to die killing LV. E.g., Harry pulls LV through the curtain with him or something like that, so they die together.

Galinda February 28th, 2007 12:14 am

It could happen. I just believe that Jo loves Harry too much to do it.

Rictus February 28th, 2007 1:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galinda (Post 4369912)
It could happen. I just believe that Jo loves Harry too much to do it.

It is true, but honestly - she is a billionaire, people. Money talks but not for her, it seems. I honestly appreciate her and her amazing work.
At the end of the day, she has a family to raise.

Keeping Harry alive does three things:
1 ) Upsets me!
2 ) Means a bunch of rabid little fangirls/boys will never, ever stop complaining about how they want another book.
3 ) And finally, gives her a boring, cliche look to her books: blah blah, lucky magical kid lives and the bad guy dies, *yawn*; can we move onto better series?

If she kills him, it's the amazingly spectacular ending that people will remember FOREVER.
Believe me - as an avid writer, I know the amount of detail you can put into murdering a main character. Everyone feels sad and sure, you get hated for killing him, but Jo dear: isn't it time to enjoy your 6 [7? 8?] billion?

BurrowGhoul February 28th, 2007 2:20 am

:err:

I think any way she ends it will be amazing.

Rictus February 28th, 2007 2:28 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul (Post 4370121)
:err:

I think any way she ends it will be amazing.

Not for me.
In 5 years, I would forget the ending.

RWeasleysgirl February 28th, 2007 3:19 am

Honestly, Harry’s death is not something I can imagine… If it happens, though, I’m sure it will be a great ending.

sparkly February 28th, 2007 5:13 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rictus (Post 4370084)
It is true, but honestly - she is a billionaire, people. Money talks but not for her, it seems. I honestly appreciate her and her amazing work.
At the end of the day, she has a family to raise.

Keeping Harry alive does three things:
1 ) Upsets me!
2 ) Means a bunch of rabid little fangirls/boys will never, ever stop complaining about how they want another book.
3 ) And finally, gives her a boring, cliche look to her books: blah blah, lucky magical kid lives and the bad guy dies, *yawn*; can we move onto better series?

If she kills him, it's the amazingly spectacular ending that people will remember FOREVER.
Believe me - as an avid writer, I know the amount of detail you can put into murdering a main character. Everyone feels sad and sure, you get hated for killing him, but Jo dear: isn't it time to enjoy your 6 [7? 8?] billion?

As a writer you should know that it's more difficult to finish a book well on a happy note. It's easy to have a spectacular shocking ending, but that's not good writing, it's just surprising.

JKR outlined the entire series nearly fifteen years ago, several years before she even had a publisher. It's highly unlikely when she wrote the last chapter at that time (which she did do) thinking that she had to kill the hero just so that she wouldn't be bothered by requests for a sequel. If anything, she would yearn for that amount of attention.

Sasblack February 28th, 2007 2:42 pm

I think that Harry will die.

I feel it is his destinty and that by ending LV's life he will end his own, i think he will find this out in the course of destroying the horcruxes.

I think from the start there have been signs that he will be the tragic hero.

I know that it will make me bawl my eyes out if he does but in a way it would be all noble and heroic and I love a good tragedy!