Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5 (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101059)

Crookshanks_RAB June 21st, 2007 6:24 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4577834)
But you just said she intended them to "come together and then part"- you didn't say nuffin' about them getting back together again :p

By the same token, one could have argued several books ago that Sirius should have lived- why else would JKR have reintroduced Harry's godfather back into his life?- and we all know how that turned out...

"Come together and then part"... They got together in the sixth book, she is going to pull a "Lily", die for Harry, and there you go, theres the "parting", or perhaps the parting is when Harry decides that he cant risk her dieing and leaves her behind on his search for the Horcruxes.

Sweetbrier June 21st, 2007 8:07 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Even anyone of every age reads Harry Potter, the fact remains; Harry Potter is considered a children's book. Every library or bookstore I've ever been to, Potter is always found in the children's sections. I've even found the adult versions in the children's sections!

Because the Potter series are still considered a children's book, Harry can't die. I'm very stubborn about this (because I DON'T want Harry to die), but think about it. Little kids read these books or listen to them on audio. What kind of book that was originally intended for children kills the main character and hero?

And plus, Harry is Jo's pen-and-paper son. She had the power to bring him into this world, but I think she loves him enough to not take him out.

Thuldorn June 21st, 2007 8:20 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
After much thought I think Harry will die in Deathly Hallows, though not the way peopel are imagining.

I think that the epilogue will give some details about his life after Voldemort and finish up with something like:

And so Harry and Ginny Potter lived a long and happy life, and after retiring as the Greatest Headmaster Hogwarts had ever known, though Harry always said Dumbledore was the Greatest Headmaster Hogwarts ever had, Harry Potter passed away in his sleep at the ripe old age of 187 and so ends the story of the Boy with the scar.

Lillbet June 21st, 2007 9:34 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Just listening to Mugglecast- Micah thinks Harry won't die because a theme park is being built. Universal doesn't know if Harry will die yet or not, they're just thinking about marketing possibilities, so that theory doesn't wash with me :p

All the same, can you imagine going to Universal and seeing the list of activities at the park if he did die in DH?

Harry's final fight with Voldemort at 1:30pm 3:30pm and 5:30pm

Harry's funeral at 2:15pm 4:15pm and 6:15pm

:err:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crookshanks_RAB (Post 4581581)
"Come together and then part"... They got together in the sixth book, she is going to pull a "Lily", die for Harry, and there you go, theres the "parting", or perhaps the parting is when Harry decides that he cant risk her dieing and leaves her behind on his search for the Horcruxes.

They have parted in the 6th book already at the end of HBP- that's what JKR was referring to, I believe. They were a couple for a short time and then parted. I think ThePythia was suggesting that they will reunite after everything is over because Ginny is Harry's ideal (quoth JKR).

The notion of being reunited and then being parted by death on the battlefield has crossed my mind as well...

hermyweasly June 21st, 2007 10:13 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

And so Harry and Ginny Potter lived a long and happy life, and after retiring as the Greatest Headmaster Hogwarts had ever known, though Harry always said Dumbledore was the Greatest Headmaster Hogwarts ever had, Harry Potter passed away in his sleep at the ripe old age of 187 and so ends the story of the Boy with the scar.
Do u think that Jo will end it like this??? I actually don't think so although I hope so. :)
Quote:

They have parted in the 6th book already at the end of HBP- that's what JKR was referring to, I believe
That's right..
Quote:

Little kids read these books or listen to them on audio
but Jo had killed DD, Cedric and Sirius..I mean kids had used to killing in Jo's story and she confirmed that two characters will die. I know that this won't be like Harry's death but every one is expecting at least 1% that there is a possibility for Harry's death.

Sweetbrier June 21st, 2007 10:16 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4581933)
Just listening to Mugglecast- Micah thinks Harry won't die because a theme park is being built. Universal doesn't know if Harry will die yet or not, they're just thinking about marketing possibilities, so that theory doesn't wash with me :p

All the same, can you imagine going to Universal and seeing the list of activities at the park if he did die in DH?

Harry's final fight with Voldemort at 1:30pm 3:30pm and 5:30pm

Harry's funeral at 2:15pm 4:15pm and 6:15pm


LOL! Yeah, when Mugglenet posted the news about the WB not concerned about Harry's fate, it basically confirmed to me that he'll live.

Ceredwyn June 21st, 2007 10:35 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
JKR has said a lot about Ginny playing quite a dominating role in the next book and I consider her to be a main character so it has crossed my mind that she and Harry may be parted although it can be argued that it has happened already.

I would be seriously shocked and GUTTED if Harry died but it would make an extremely powerful ending. But then again, JK has also hinted on Dumbledore returning, not to life, but in another way. If this is possible then why couldn't Harry? Look at the talking and moving portraits, couldnt this be a way of linking life and death?

I think that either way it wouldnt be over but JK has also said that although she has planned only 7 books, never say never. This suggests that there may be a future for Harry, but who can really say?

Taylor_Elise June 21st, 2007 10:41 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4581933)
All the same, can you imagine going to Universal and seeing the list of activities at the park if he did die in DH?

Harry's final fight with Voldemort at 1:30pm 3:30pm and 5:30pm

Harry's funeral at 2:15pm 4:15pm and 6:15pm

Bahahaha... :lol:

Sign me up for the funeral, that's entertainment right there! *kidding*

I think the fact that Harry Potter is a children's book plays a small, small role in whether or not Harry dies. I mean, think about it: Jo created the novels from her own imagination, from her own ideas, in her own mind.

I know I've said it millions of times, but let's put it this way. If I wrote a story I felt passionate about...whether I catered it to adults or children...I'd end it the way I wanted to. Jo didn't know she would become one of, if not THE, most popular authors of our time. She just created the idea and went with it. If, in her original design, Harry died, then that's what will happen, regardless of who reads the books.
Now, there's always the possibility our beloved Harry is the one who got the reprieve....but something tells me Jo wouldn't just up and change the entire plot just for kicks. :p

As objective as I can get, I still say it's up in the air. Part of me really believes Harry will die, yet the other part yearns for him not to...we can only be sure in 29 days!


(and p.s. I agree with Lillbet--I really don't think it matters to Universal whether or not Harry dies. To me--and I don't know all the details, so grain of salt here--I feel like the theme park is something crafted separately from JK and her world. It just feels like a way to milk Harry Potter for all it's worth. Now granted, it's still probably going to be pretty amazing and undoubtedly cool to experience, but a separate venue, all the same.)

Sweetbrier June 21st, 2007 10:43 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceredwyn (Post 4582128)
I think that either way it wouldnt be over but JK has also said that although she has planned only 7 books, never say never. This suggests that there may be a future for Harry, but who can really say?

I like your optimism, but Jo has said over and over in various interviews that there are only 7 books.

It would be like too much of good thing if there were more than 7.

monamourr June 21st, 2007 11:26 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
I agree with the theory of the series being a children's book being a factor not in Harry's favor.
Not because of the deaths - obviously, the books have spanned the lives of two of my favorite characters :( but because of the impression it would create for Harry, thus far the loveable [although that may be debateable], heroic, yet innocent and still child-like to a certain extent protagonist, to actualy murder someone, enemy or not.
And, going by the prophecy, this would mean Harry would have to die.

johnthesavage June 21st, 2007 11:54 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetbrier (Post 4581753)
Even anyone of every age reads Harry Potter, the fact remains; Harry Potter is considered a children's book. Every library or bookstore I've ever been to, Potter is always found in the children's sections. I've even found the adult versions in the children's sections!

Because the Potter series are still considered a children's book, Harry can't die. I'm very stubborn about this (because I DON'T want Harry to die), but think about it. Little kids read these books or listen to them on audio. What kind of book that was originally intended for children kills the main character and hero?

And plus, Harry is Jo's pen-and-paper son. She had the power to bring him into this world, but I think she loves him enough to not take him out.

While I agree with you in that I do not want Harry to die, your reasoning is off. Just because a book is written for children does not necessitate there being a "happily ever after" (I would like to see one though).
They are books for a wide audience and Jo hasnt hesitatied killing off main characters before, even I am sure characters that she likes.

That being said, I sure would love to see him make it through!

her3me24 June 22nd, 2007 12:10 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Who do you think she means by two main characters...Hagrid, McGonagall, Any of the Weasleys, Tonks, Lupin, of course Harry, and Hermione. There is also Neville and Luna. Some of these may not be in the forefront, but most have had a prime role since the beginning...that is just the good side, you still have (and the jury is still out on good vs evil) Snape, Draco and Lucios, Wormtail, of course Voldemort....So if a couple of main characters get a reprieve, that would mean that more than two were going to die to begin with....So if two got a reprieve, I would think that atleast three others will die...I think the Twins got a reprieve....other than that.....Voldemort dies, Harry lives....I just cannot figure out if it is Ron or Hermione. I think Ron will die for sure, the Weasleys will have a loss to thier large family....maybe Percy?

Moriath June 22nd, 2007 12:17 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
You may want to discuss this in Book Seven: Who Will Live and Who Will Die? v4 :) This thread is for Harry only.

her3me24 June 22nd, 2007 12:18 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetbrier (Post 4582159)
I like your optimism, but Jo has said over and over in various interviews that there are only 7 books.

It would be like too much of good thing if there were more than 7.

I think Rowling is trying to end the series so that no others can followup with non-original author sequals. The Star Wars Saga is popular world wide, but aside from the 6 movies, there are about 15 additional books written by people other than George Lucas that carried on the story. I think that she is going to try, but people will still make their own stories to follow on. All of her characters are far too interesting to not what to know more and more and more.....that being said, I think she plans to wrap up the ending in such a way that the story cannont continue. Does that mean Harry will die? I dont think he will. It is a classic good vs evil. She said "A price must be paid"....people will die and I think it will be many of the prime good and evil characters, but I do not think it will be Harry. To many Characters owe him a life debt...Three of the Weasleys, Dobby, and Wormtail.......I think there are sacrifices to be made from these 5 people...

expelliarmus_01 June 22nd, 2007 12:27 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thuldorn (Post 4581785)
After much thought I think Harry will die in Deathly Hallows, though not the way peopel are imagining.

I think that the epilogue will give some details about his life after Voldemort and finish up with something like:

And so Harry and Ginny Potter lived a long and happy life, and after retiring as the Greatest Headmaster Hogwarts had ever known, though Harry always said Dumbledore was the Greatest Headmaster Hogwarts ever had, Harry Potter passed away in his sleep at the ripe old age of 187 and so ends the story of the Boy with the scar.

If Harry dies, I hope it is something like that. I have been convinced that Harry will live and still strongly believe that he will live beyond Voldemort anyway. I am however a little worried.

A friend of mine recently reminded me that with every main character death, that character was on the US cover art for that book, and they are correct. GOF - Cedric is on the cover are, OOTP - Sirius is on the back side of the cover art, HPB - Dumbledore is on the cover art of both the standard US edition and Deluxe edition. On DH US standard edition both Voldemort and Harry are on the cover (hopefully Voldemort is the death here), but on the Deluxe edition Harry is on the cover with Ron & Hermy. I still think the cover art death will be Voldemort, I mean Harry is on the cover of every book.

Sweetbrier June 22nd, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by expelliarmus_01 (Post 4582378)

A friend of mine recently reminded me that with every main character death, that character was on the US cover art for that book, and they are correct. GOF - Cedric is on the cover are, OOTP - Sirius is on the back side of the cover art, HPB - Dumbledore is on the cover art of both the standard US edition and Deluxe edition. On DH US standard edition both Voldemort and Harry are on the cover (hopefully Voldemort is the death here), but on the Deluxe edition Harry is on the cover with Ron & Hermy. I still think the cover art death will be Voldemort, I mean Harry is on the cover of every book.

I've never noticed that before! That's interesting... maybe just a coincidence?

And for my whole 'Jo won't kill Harry b/c it is a "children's" series, I'm just putting out one theory. There are a million other things I consider when I think of what Harry's fate will be.

Maybe I'm just trying to hold on to this little notion because I want Harry to live. But the death of a literary phenomenon like Harry Potter could be a little devastating to some people (including me). But, like I said before, Harry is Jo's pen-and-paper son, and I don't think she would kill him off. Even though Cedric, Sirius, and Dumbledore have met those fates, I just don't think Harry will.

If Harry does live, and I think someone said something about this earlier, it not going to be 'happily ever-after'. There's a war going on, and a lot of people are either going to die or suffer from it. I don't think anyone could live happily ever-after when they've just witnessed three deaths straight in a row. (If Sirius is really dead, of course, which is another theory for another thread.)

Taylor_Elise June 22nd, 2007 6:12 am

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by her3me24 (Post 4582360)
I think Rowling is trying to end the series so that no others can followup with non-original author sequals. The Star Wars Saga is popular world wide, but aside from the 6 movies, there are about 15 additional books written by people other than George Lucas that carried on the story. I think that she is going to try, but people will still make their own stories to follow on. All of her characters are far too interesting to not what to know more and more and more.....that being said, I think she plans to wrap up the ending in such a way that the story cannont continue. Does that mean Harry will die? I dont think he will. It is a classic good vs evil. She said "A price must be paid"....people will die and I think it will be many of the prime good and evil characters, but I do not think it will be Harry. To many Characters owe him a life debt...Three of the Weasleys, Dobby, and Wormtail.......I think there are sacrifices to be made from these 5 people...

I believe there are upwards of 40 Star Wars books, if my nerd friends do not decieve me. :p

I see your point about not wanting others to copy her work...but honestly? I don't think Jo, or any author for that matter, that writes and invests themselves in a story such as Harry Potter would seriously change their ending simply for copyright purposes. It just doesn't feel right to me.

And, I mean, think about all the internet "piracy" scandals that go on. People claiming to have copies posted on their websites and all that...Bloomsbury or whoever it is that answers that stuff (Jo's reps or whatever) they all make statements like "Well, unless you hear it from us..." blah blah blah.

If I were in JK's position...I think I'd be confident enough in my own story-crafting abilities to feel secure enough that even if someone tried to copy my stories...my style is too unique for them to succeed. Hopefully I'm right and Jo keeps the ending the way she originally planned, because I'd hate to read something manufactured and rash just so that Jo and her copyrighters can sleep at night. :lol:

And I think someone said it on here before...there's ways around people dying anyway. When you live in a world of magic, there's always someone that can come up with "And even though Harry died, Hermione brewed the Essence of Immortality Potion the next day and all was well" story. :D

inkling7 June 22nd, 2007 2:25 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
her3me24 who do you think Ron is a next door neighbour? He is also a 'Weasley'....
That aside IF Harry lives then let's hope that Ginny does too.

It really is a win-win situation with Harry though. If he lives and Ginny et al do he has a chance at happiness. If he dies then he will be with his parents, Sirius, Albus (and Hagrid - if he dies - and I think he is for the chop) - all of whom he loves.........however all these other loved ones could wait until Harry dies of old age before they see him - and I'm sure they would rather wait and see him living a fairly normal life with the woman he loves before he embarked on his next great adventure.

ThePythia June 22nd, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillbet (Post 4581933)
All the same, can you imagine going to Universal and seeing the list of activities at the park if he did die in DH?

Harry's final fight with Voldemort at 1:30pm 3:30pm and 5:30pm

Harry's funeral at 2:15pm 4:15pm and 6:15pm

:err:

:rotfl:

Oh, and I want in on that chocolate! :drool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor_Elise (Post 4581937)
I think the fact that Harry Potter is a children's book plays a small, small role in whether or not Harry dies.

I agree. Harry Potter being a children's series won't stop JKR from killing off the main character. What I don't buy is this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkling7 (Post 4581947)
If he dies then he will be with his parents, Sirius, Albus (and Hagrid - if he dies - and I think he is for the chop) - all of whom he loves.........

If this happens, it sends out a very wrong message to the kids about death, doesn't it?

Taylor_Elise June 22nd, 2007 5:27 pm

Re: Will Harry die in Deathly Hallows? v5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePythia (Post 4583540)
If this happens, it sends out a very wrong message to the kids about death, doesn't it?

But didn't you just say it doesn't matter that it's a kid's book?

:p


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:26 am.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.