Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Artemis Fowl Thread (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=92990)

shokoofehs July 23rd, 2006 5:39 am

Artemis Fowl Thread

Is anyone here a fan of little Arty ( AKA. genius criminal mastermind )??:love:

For those of you who do not know about Artemis Fowl series check out the website www.artemisfowl.com.

Right now there are four books out from the series and the fifth is due September 17,2006.
Artemis Fowl #1-Artemis Fowl
Artemis Fowl #2-The Arctic Incident
Artemis Fowl #3-The Eternity Code
Artemis Fowl #4-Opal Deception
Artemis Fowl #5-The Lost Colony

Krumforbulgaria July 23rd, 2006 5:27 pm

Re: Artemis Fowl Thread

hey, artemis fowl rocks!!!! heck yes!!! i didnt know that a new one was coming out!!! AWESOME!!! good thread.

Krum

TheInvisibleF July 23rd, 2006 10:38 pm

Another book coming out? Coolaboola! Does anyone know anything about a movie in the works? It was a rumour some years ago but I don't know if it is ever going to happen. If it was done right it would be so cool.

Prettee July 24th, 2006 2:57 am

I love Artemis Fowl.
I absolutely can't wait till the next one.
Eoin Colfer out does himself in each book.

deathplce4myhed July 24th, 2006 3:47 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheInvisibleF
Another book coming out? Coolaboola! Does anyone know anything about a movie in the works? It was a rumour some years ago but I don't know if it is ever going to happen. If it was done right it would be so cool.

I read something about it not that long ago, but the thing was old and I'm not sure what site was on, it is being made though.

Now onto the book's I think there okay, not the greatest books, but there okay, I like them manly cus of Mulch diggums(spellings probably way off I haven't read any of the books in a while)and the centuar(sp)dude, not sure of his name, he works with the LED(Is that what it's called?). I had no idea there was a fith book.

And a other thing is, hopefully the movies are better then the books, like I said I didn't really like them to much, I think the movie will be good if the derictor(sp) and screenplay writer are good.

P.S. Sorry about all the miss spells, I'm not in the mood to make sure there right.

Markle July 24th, 2006 3:54 am

Those books are excelent. I wasn't aware of a new one coming out. Thanks! I was wondering about that today actually when I was at the book store. I thought, "I wonder what Colfner is up to." Lo and behold, my friends at CoS forums know everything.

sjcuk13 July 24th, 2006 9:48 am

i orded the new book of amazon last month i really like theese book didnt think much of the opal deseption (dont know why) maby because some one is no more.
the film would be good i agree. on the other hand eragon is coming out late 2006 if you havent read that its good.

sunny7 July 24th, 2006 11:30 am

I love Artemis Fowl, the books totally rock. Eoin Coifer is a genius. I had heard a rumor about a new book so I'm chuffed that it was true.

Sheree July 24th, 2006 4:27 pm

I adore Artemis Fowl! :love:
Because I only have HP in first-edition hard back, my mother absolutely REFUSES to allow me to bring them to college with me, and dear old Eoin Colfer is always there to comfort me! :D

shokoofehs July 25th, 2006 7:02 pm

hey guys, apparently the book will be released a month earlier tht what was previously announced. That is it will be released on August 15 according to this unofficial website. Hope its true.:clap:

Raven_Girly July 27th, 2006 10:36 am

What happened to the old thread on this? Arty is totally awesome. Can't wait for the next book! I own all four plus the Artemis Fowl Files. I love figuring out the code thingies!

Books_4_eva July 27th, 2006 11:54 am

Oh I love these books, haven't read them in a while though.
Didn't know there was a new one coming out though maybe I'll get them out and have another read sometime soon :) My fave character would have to be Mulch.

I herd about that movie to, oh heres something I found on ithttp://artemisfowl.tripod.com/movie.htm

_HeRmIoNe_G_ July 27th, 2006 11:31 pm

I love the books...i'm truly addicted to them...my fav character is holly...i can't wait for the next book to come out...a little over a month ...

shadow_girl July 28th, 2006 7:35 pm

I really love the Artemis Fowl books. I think my favorite was the second book, but maybe the third. I can't wait for the next book! When I found out that he was writing another book I was so exited and suprised. I really thought that the fourth would be the last, because of how it ends.

KarateGirl July 28th, 2006 10:49 pm

Well done to whoever started this thread! I can't wait for the next book, I cried the last few times - yes, I'm weak! :lol: Poor little Arty!! (though I must admit The Supernaturalist is my favorite) My sister works in a books hop and the book is out next week! Maybe I can get an advance copy! :elaugh:

Here I am meeting Eoin back when my hair was pink:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...e/EoinandI.jpg
Eoin: Are you by any chance a writer?
Me: Well, I try.
Eoin: I could tell. An individual :clap: :love: :D

sjcuk13 August 1st, 2006 1:04 pm

Well i posted a little while ago that i had orded the book amazon say that is it due out 2nd aug (i think) however it this is true thet the made a big boo boo as i have not read the new book. wiht out giving too much away little arty has chnaged a lot from the fist book.

wiht some truly amazing twists in the story that you will never see coming in a million years this book is good! Oh so Good

KarateGirl August 3rd, 2006 5:37 pm

Well, I've just read the book!! :D
I'm not going to say anything to spoil it for anyone hasn't read it though. It was released yesterday in the bookshop my sister works in. I'm not going to say anything... but I really want to! :lol:

gabrielle10 August 3rd, 2006 9:25 pm

there's a 5th artemis fowl? sweet!!!

shadow_girl August 4th, 2006 4:51 am

Oh my! The fifth book is already realeased in the UK and Ireland. *sigh* I have to wait until September...Well thats better than October, which is what they said originally.

DeathEater920 August 4th, 2006 7:53 pm

OMG!! I LOVE Artemis Fowl, it is a great book series.

*Fainst* ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! There is a 5th book coming out! YES!!! *Does a victory dance* So happy, I really want Artemis and Holly to get together, do you?

OH! Do you know if they are going to make a movie out of Artemis Fowl or no? They said they would a long time ago . . . . and i don't see anything.

WOW! I'm so happy thanks so much for telling me that there is going to be a 5th book. ^__^

Message me sometime so we can talk about Fowl, okay. :)

freelantzer August 5th, 2006 6:16 am

I love this series, but I think the first Artemis Fowl will always be my favorite one. It was just so clever and fresh. I love how there was not really a clear protagonist or antagonist--I was rooting for both Artemis and Holly! And Eoin Colfer paid that off spectacularly at the end. Great series! :tu:

silverstarz August 5th, 2006 7:32 am

I love Artemis
and Butler
I love all of the books!
Yay, I didn't know there was gonna be a 5th book!
:love:

arshia August 5th, 2006 1:15 pm

i`ve read the first two
n yes the series are different and very interesting:love:

shokoofehs August 6th, 2006 4:31 am

:upset:
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateGirl
Well, I've just read the book!! :D
I'm not going to say anything to spoil it for anyone hasn't read it though. It was released yesterday in the bookshop my sister works in. I'm not going to say anything... but I really want to! :lol:

OMG!! I can't believe that u have actually met Eoin Colfer and I'm sooooo jealous that u have already read the book when I have to wait till september.:sigh:

deathplce4myhed August 9th, 2006 4:40 am

I'm rereading the books(cus I am tired of Harry Potter:scared: ) well I reread the fourth one cus I couldn't remember it, and then the third and now I'm on the second, not sure if I'm gunna reread the first though(haven't read the new one yet), and now I remember how much I dislike Holly, in the third one and fourth shes okay, but I don't like her in the second, I will say that the only reason I didn't stop reading the books before was cus of Mulch, he's just about the only good character, Butler is too, but I think Mulch is the best:D but it takes forevewr for him to come into this one I forgot most of the book I read it so long ago, thats the only reason I'm actually finishing it, other then that the books are good:D

Emi August 24th, 2006 10:50 pm

My copy of The Lost Colony came on Tuesday! It was as addictive as the previous books - I finished it the first night. The second night I translated the code. *Geek* :p I was a bit dubious about the demons before I read it, but the main demon character turned out to be one of my favourites. Overall, it was a very good book.

Ending spoiler coming up.
Spoiler: show
The ending gave me the impression that this might have been the last book - Butler has settled down in a little village, Artemis has two young siblings and a likely girlfriend, Holly is returning to her PI business... Of course this doesn't definitely mean that there won't be another book. But it will at least mean that things will change.

Since I've already translated it, if anyone wants me to post what the code along the bottom of the pages says, I will. But personally I think it's fun to work it out oneself.

sjcuk13 August 25th, 2006 1:14 pm

I think they will ba anoth book we have to find out Artemis's parents reactoons to ... well everything.

I also think that we need to find out about:
the twins we dont even know there names or wheter they are male or female (i recont it will be one of each)
also Artemis will have to become a lot more cleverer as he has to hid this from everyone
And how will holly ever live wiht out him?

Emi August 25th, 2006 4:03 pm

This is what the code in The Lost Colony says (with some added punctuation):

"The demon scrolls tell of a warlock who will come to save our people, but I wouldn't rely too much on the scrolls. They also say that rabbits are the supreme beings and that the best cure for a sore throat is a poultice of dung and old socks. Hence trust the scrolls at your peril. There are, however, a few tips for survival in a demon tribe that might be helpful if you were a human, say, and had never actually met a demon before, which is unlikely to say the least. If you were human you wouldn't be able to read this in the first place.
So. Demon survival tips.
First, never stab a demon with his own sword. This is the ultimate insult and will result in a vendetta that could go on for generations. It is fine to stab a demon with your own sword; he will congratulate you for managing that, but only poor warriors lose their swords and then get stabbed with them. If the opportunity arises, give it a miss.
Demons have a pretty comprehensive system of sign language, in which buttock slapping features heavily. It is very important not to slap the wrong buttock. Never slap someone else's buttock unless they stab you with your own sword; that is considered very bad manners. And learn the difference between the left buttock slap and the right buttock slap. If a passerby aims his buttock at you and slaps the left one, it means that there is a full moon due that evening and he hopes you will join him for the traditional hunt. If he slaps his right buttock, it simply means that you remind him of his right buttock.
Finally, Never sneeze into your fist. Always allow the sneeze to run free into the air. Medical demons assure us that the sneeze comprises of millions of tiny flying demons that zoom around the Earth until they can find a human to land in. When they alight on their host humans, they hack into their scalps with tiny axes, causing terrible headaches, which make the humans easy to defeat in battle. So when a demon sneezes, immediately slap your right buttock in the direction of the sneeze so that the tiny demons can pass on the message to the human they land in."

:scared: Sometimes I am a little concerned for Mr. Colfer's sanity. :p

sjcuk13 August 25th, 2006 6:13 pm

:lol: I think I will join you on the very concerned for his sanity:lol:

dragontamergirl August 26th, 2006 7:00 am

sjcuk13 said there will probably be another book because of his parents reaction to his "escavades." However I disagree. No one said his parents had to know about his adventures. They might not even believe him anyway. Although I want to see The Lost Colony and read it I'm not sure what the point is. To me the whole series has been about Artemis Fowl (sadly) becoming a good person and not a selfish one. Not about his grand adventures.

nemetoad August 26th, 2006 8:34 am

I'm half excited about this new book. I loved the first three, but the fourth one was kind of lacking in my opinion. I hope Colfer gets his act together and makes this fifth one as good as the first three!

ADnotdead777 August 26th, 2006 1:14 pm

WEEEEEEE!!!! I :love: Artemis Fowl!!!! My favorite scene is the incedent with the trolls in the abandoned theme park.:elaugh:

darkchild August 27th, 2006 3:23 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemetoad
I'm half excited about this new book. I loved the first three, but the fourth one was kind of lacking in my opinion. I hope Colfer gets his act together and makes this fifth one as good as the first three!

This is exactly how I felt when I found out about the fifth book. I thought The Opal Deception was huge disappointment (he could've done so much with it:sigh:) , and I had my doubts about this whole demon thing, not to mention the Mary-Sue-resembling character:scared:.

However, now I've read it (finished it last night) and I love it. The demons were great, Mary-Sue was not a Mary-Sue (in my opinion that is, although I still don't like her real name) and the overall story was just so much better this time.

Favourite part:
Chapter seven in general and "we are the chocolate fairies" bit in particular. Why? Cause it was funny!

Favourite new character:
Doodah Day (how can you not like someone called Doodah Day?)

And there will be at least one more book after this one, probably two, Eoin has said so in interviews.

sjcuk13 August 28th, 2006 12:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragontamergirl
sjcuk13 said there will probably be another book because of his parents reaction to his "escavades." However I disagree. No one said his parents had to know about his adventures. They might not even believe him anyway. Although I want to see The Lost Colony and read it I'm not sure what the point is. To me the whole series has been about Artemis Fowl (sadly) becoming a good person and not a selfish one. Not about his grand adventures.

I agree that the books are about Artemis becoming a good person however his parents need an explanation about
where he had been for the last 3 years
this is why I think we need another book plus we have to see what holly's life is like after this.

KarateGirl August 28th, 2006 5:51 pm

Here's something I wondered at the end of the new book...
Is Artemis now 14 years old but in the future, has he actually aged at all? Or has he aged and is now nearly 18? Because there was no recollection of him feeling any different, such as being taller or anything. So I'm wondering, has he aged or not through the time tunnel-thingy into the future?
:)

darkchild August 30th, 2006 1:10 pm

As I understand it, his body/soul/mind hasn't aged at all but he is, nevertheless, about to turn eighteen.

Books_4_eva August 30th, 2006 1:32 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateGirl
Here's something I wondered at the end of the new book...
Is Artemis now 14 years old but in the future, has he actually aged at all? Or has he aged and is now nearly 18? Because there was no recollection of him feeling any different, such as being taller or anything. So I'm wondering, has he aged or not through the time tunnel-thingy into the future?
:)

as I understand it he himself has only aged a day in the tunel, where as three years has pased on earth. So he can't exatly be 18.

KarateGirl August 30th, 2006 5:57 pm

Hmm, confusing!! :lol:

sjcuk13 August 30th, 2006 7:14 pm

I think that the world at large would view Artemis as being 18 but Artemis himself will be/is still 14 and this might be where he meets his match :lol:

darkchild September 1st, 2006 9:28 pm

Speaking of meeting one's match, one character a really missed (cause he is my favourite) was Trouble (I mean, he could at least have been mentioned!). I think he and Holly would make a great couple, and I read somewhere Colfer thought so too, but it wouldn't last, they were too alike.
Now, what about Minerva and Artemis, could you be more alike? Bearing what Colfer said about Holly and Trouble in mind, do you think they will get together and then break up, not get together at all or will they live "happily ever after" all the same?

KarateGirl September 2nd, 2006 12:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkchild
Speaking of meeting one's match, one character a really missed (cause he is my favourite) was Trouble (I mean, he could at least have been mentioned!). I think he and Holly would make a great couple, and I read somewhere Colfer thought so too, but it wouldn't last, they were too alike.
Now, what about Minerva and Artemis, could you be more alike? Bearing what Colfer said about Holly and Trouble in mind, do you think they will get together and then break up, not get together at all or will they live "happily ever after" all the same?

I agree! Trouble was one of my favorite charatcers too and I wish he''d been in the last book. He and Holly would make a great couple. As for Minvera, at the wrath of many fans I'm going to say that her part in the plot made me wonder if Colfer was struggling for ideas. To have one evil child genius is one thing, but to have another seems a bit... cliche? I'm not sure, I got the impression he was running out of ideas for this book. I expect in the next Fowl book (if there is one) Minerva and Artemis would be good friends and hint at something else, but it doesn't seem like Colfer to get all mushy and romantic in a Fowl book. :)

BabyWerewolf September 2nd, 2006 3:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjcuk13
:lol: I think I will join you on the very concerned for his sanity:lol:

But also be concerned for the sanity of people (and I include myself in this) who get so bored they work it out. (And looking at the website is cheating!!)

Er...yes, as you can see, I like Artemis Fowl.
I have all the first four. And in The Opal Deception (possibly my favourite) Root joined the select list of characters in books where I cried when they died. (or I thought they died (Gandalf))(along with Sirius Black, Theoden, and Liam from Song Of The Lioness,)

sjcuk13 September 3rd, 2006 10:20 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyWerewolf
But also be concerned for the sanity of people (and I include myself in this) who get so bored they work it out. (And looking at the website is cheating!!)

When I first got the first book I worked out what the bottom said before I read the book. I knew the book would give me the key inside so I worked it out from the chapter headings then read the book to see if I was right. I had 1 letter wrong and I think 3 missing :).
The problem now is I don't have enough time to work it out. I must have started The Eternity Code at least ten times now then I have to go to work and I lose everything, plus i have to get up at 6am, to get out for 7am, to drive for two house to start work at 9am then finish at 6pm. I then drive another two house home by this time all i want to do is sleep. So i never get a chance to work out the codes anymore :)

CrystalPensieve September 4th, 2006 9:35 am

I absolutely love the Artemis Fowl series. I've only read no.1 and 4 but they are brilliant.

Sheree October 5th, 2006 3:54 pm

YAY!
I bought number 5 last night! I didn't even know that it was out (they really have to work on their marketing skills...)!
It's called Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony. It introduces demons as members of the fairy world, from what I understand. I managed to get to page ten before I fell asleep (I'd had a bit of a trying day), and I'm already loving it.
Did you guys know that it was out? And if so, how did you find out? I was just lucky enough to be walking by the books in Wal-Mart last night, or else I might never have known. :no:

KarateGirl October 5th, 2006 3:57 pm

My sister works in a bookshop, and so do I come sunday, but I also signed up for an Artemis Fowl newsletter on the offical site. :agree:

Artemis_Fowl_2 October 5th, 2006 4:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheree (Post 4109479)
YAY!
I bought number 5 last night! I didn't even know that it was out (they really have to work on their marketing skills...)!
It's called Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony. It introduces demons as members of the fairy world, from what I understand. I managed to get to page ten before I fell asleep (I'd had a bit of a trying day), and I'm already loving it.
Did you guys know that it was out? And if so, how did you find out? I was just lucky enough to be walking by the books in Wal-Mart last night, or else I might never have known. :no:

I heard it was coming but didn't know it was out until I saw this thread! I should be ashamed, especially considering my username is based on one of my favorite literary characters: Artemis Fowl II. :whistle: I shall go to a bookstore after work and begin reading it tonight! I promise to use
spoiler tags
if I make any specific comments in case a reader of this thread hasn't read any of it yet. Thanks for the news, Sheree!

Brigitte October 6th, 2006 4:16 pm

I haven't read it yet, but I'm pretty excited. My sister put it on hold, and so I'll just take it from her when she gets it.

SnowyOwlStormz October 6th, 2006 4:24 pm

I love Artemis, too but I lost track of the whole series after the 2nd book! So many books! Not as hot as Potter, but this is anither kind of Fantasy...:clap:

Sheree October 11th, 2006 6:21 pm

Well, I have now finished The Lost Colony, and I must say that I thought it to be an extraordinarily good read.:tu:
The fact that Artemis ends up with a little bit of magic himself in the end is really interesting, too. I wonder what he'll do with it. He's already proving himself to be a nice guy deep down.

All in all, I'd recommend it. Let me know what you guys think after you've had a chance to read, it! :D

Artemis_Fowl_2 October 11th, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm only on chapter 5... but I'll be back to read your spoiler! So far, I love this book.

DeathEater920 October 19th, 2006 8:04 pm

There is going to be a 6th book! I can't wait! I just finished the 5th book and I'm still in shock from it. I really thought that Holly . . . I won't say but I started to freaken out when I read that scene. I'm SO happy though that she is . . . my lips are sealed for all of those who didn't read the book yet. Anyway, the ending was a HUGE surprise for me and I'm dieing for the 6th book already because I want to know what happens to Artemis.

OH! What do you guys think about Minerva . . . when I saw her name it thought of Professor M. (No idea how you spell her name). I think she has got something for Artemis . . . do you think she is better than Holly?

Also, a LONG time ago, they said they were going to make an Artemis Fowl movie . . . what happened to that?

OH! Does anyone decode the messages on the bottom of the book? I want to but I don't have time. LOL! ^__^

Artemis_Fowl_2 October 20th, 2006 1:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathEater920 (Post 4139253)
There is going to be a 6th book! I can't wait! I just finished the 5th book and I'm still in shock from it.

There has to be a sixth book! Colfer leaves you wanting more. I hated getting to the end of the book and wondering what was going to happen next with Artemis.

I loved this book! It had great funny moments like the following.
Page 212"How did that go?" [Butler] asked. "Your first lengthy conversation with a girl your own age."
"Fabulous," said Artemis, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "We're planning a June wedding."
:lol:

And, yes, that stuff with Holly had you on the edge of your seat.

And the...
twins!

I think I must go back and read the entire series yet again. I love Artemis Fowl. :agree:

witchsmart October 20th, 2006 2:03 am

I have been a huge fan of Artemis Fowl since I read the first book. I was so excited when the fourth book came out! It's my favorite one so far. The fifth one was so good! I forget where, but I remember reading somewhere that there was going to be a sixth book, something about a hypnotist.

Izzy October 29th, 2006 10:07 pm

Arty is amazing! I love how witty and sarcastic he is, and that butler is his friend. :)

lwHSH October 31st, 2006 12:09 am

One of my best friends has been nagging me to read the series ever since she read them. I'm about to start, i just have to go to the library (now where did i put my library card?) I can't wait to read it!

_HeRmIoNe_G_ November 29th, 2006 7:20 pm

I think the new one was by far the best yet. The ending was horrible just because it left you hanging...the only good thing is is that there has to be a 6th book.

moonfoot November 30th, 2006 1:40 am

I love the Artemis Fowl series. Although, I've only read the first 2 books so far. I will have to read the others in the series soon. My favorite characters are Commander Root, and Butler. I always liked The Arctic Incident the best out of what I've read. I really hope they make a movie out of these books soon.

houseelf25 November 30th, 2006 2:16 am

i love ALL of the artemis fowl books! they are all so clever and funny, and i can't decide which one's my favorite. i think my favorite character is probably holly, or butler, or foaly. they're all so fun and butler and holly can kick some major butt.

Neptune November 30th, 2006 2:38 am

I had no idea there was a new book out until last week (Thank you Amazon Recommendations...)

I really do love these books, they're a lot of fun. The only problem I have with them is for some reason I can't seem to remember details about them. I've read books 1-4 twice and I can barley remember what each book was about, I just remember that I really enjoy them and that I thought the 3rd was the best. (I think...) I normally have a excellent memory so I'm surprised I don't remember much... except for maybe the first book.

I guess I'll have to re-read the series before I read book 5 then.

HarryPotterLover November 30th, 2006 2:45 am

I love Artemis Fowl and my favorite characters are probably Commander Root and Butler. I love them!

AchelRay November 30th, 2006 3:38 am

I've only read to the Arctic Incident. It was amazingly hard for me to get through the first one though. I'm not sure I want to try the Eternity Code though. Can anyone tell me what it's about and if it jumps greatly? That was one of the biggest reasons I couldn't get throught the first one very easily.

Artemis_Fowl_2 November 30th, 2006 4:26 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AchelRay (Post 4212217)
I've only read to the Arctic Incident. It was amazingly hard for me to get through the first one though. I'm not sure I want to try the Eternity Code though. Can anyone tell me what it's about and if it jumps greatly? That was one of the biggest reasons I couldn't get throught the first one very easily.

The Eternity Code jumps a little bit, but not as much as the first book. It is about Artemis making a revolutionary computer using fairy technology and letting a business man pay him to keep it off the market so his business doesn't go bankrupt from being so far behind. I personally recommend it.

My favorite in the series is still the original, although I love them all. And my favorite character is Artemis Fowl the Second (if you couldn't tell from my username).

Iqen December 1st, 2006 1:50 pm

I am obsessed with Artemis Fowl.. I've only read the first three books but they were Awesome!! Foaly is just funny... it wouldn't have been a proper book without him.

stetson December 2nd, 2006 6:50 pm

Artemis Fowl = :love:
I was so obsessed with it when I was younger that I started writing notes to people in the secret code, even though no one knew what the heck I was talking about. I decoded the 4th one, but when I went to decode the 1st one, I discovered that my mom had given the book away! :upset: Oh well...the message isn't anything important, though it is a little funny. I'll post it later if I have time.

AchelRay December 2nd, 2006 9:13 pm

I had kind of wondered what the code was... Not really though. I may go to the library then and pick The Eternity Code up but I'm probably not going to buy it. There are too many other books that I want to buy at the moment.

stetson December 4th, 2006 11:39 pm

Here's the translated code from The Opal Deception:

A recruitment letter from the centaur Foaly technical consultant to the lower elements police. Trusted ally, if you have decoded this Gnommish message, then you are a deputy officer in the Lower Elements Police. You will not be aware of this fact because it is the practice of the LEP to mindwipe our human allies. We do this so they cannot remember being recruited. If you cannot remember the fairy people or our underground city, then you cannot betray our existence to the greedy humans. Of course not all humans are greedy. You, deputy, are a noble member of your species. And clever too. We only recruit the best. Our intelligence department studied your file and concluded that you were suitable for LEP membership. At the moment, you are only a deputy officer. To become a fully fledged officer, you must complete four tasks. Number one: decode this message. Something you are well on your way to completing. Number two: save the life of a member of another species. You can complete this task in any number of ways. Open a window to release a trapped fly. Build a bird bath in your garden. Release a mouse from a trap. Number three: achieve a perfect score on a school test or homework assignment. In this job you need to be smart as well as fit. Number four: wash yourself every day for a week. This is a difficult assignment especially for human boys who do not like contact with water. If you are going to work underground often in cramped tunnels you will appreciate a partner who does not smell like a hermit dwarf. Once you have completed these tasks you must summon your recruting officer in the ancient fashion. Go to your back yard or the nearest green area. Make sure you are not being watched. Find a soft spot of ground and burrow a six-inch hole with a broom handle or short stick. When your hole is ready, tap out the letters l-e-p in horse code. The code for l-e-p is as follows: l: tap-tap-wiggle-tap e:wiggle-wiggle-tap p:tap-wiggle-drill. Do this at least a hundred times and our underground sensors will pick up the vibration and send a lep officer with your uniform and orders. Good luck, deputy. Foaly.

Whew. That was really long. I wonder if you can get carpel tunnel from typing excessively...:p

remusfan December 10th, 2006 10:07 pm

I loved The Lost Colony. I have a copy of it (bought it the first day it came out of course). I seriously considered making my user name something with Artemis Fowl, but I love Harry Potter too much to do that. These are very close behind Harry Potter though. I love the way Artemis changes in every book. The only thing I don't like about the books is Mulch Diggums. Sorry if I am offending anyone by this.

sabreschic December 10th, 2006 10:15 pm

Mulch is awesome!! i also got the book the 1st day and finished it like 2 hrs. after i bought it

Rosie Cotton December 10th, 2006 11:16 pm

I love Artemis Fowl...I haven't read the fifth yet. So don't spoil it!

Artemis_Fowl_2 December 11th, 2006 6:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by remusfan (Post 4230849)
I seriously considered making my user name something with Artemis Fowl, but I love Harry Potter too much to do that.

When I joined this board I thought that it is so large that there was no point in even trying to come up with a unique Harry Potter name. Sometimes I wish I had tried, but I am fine being Artemis Fowl II. I do like Harry Potter more, but I do love Artemis Fowl!

sxcpotafan4lyf December 11th, 2006 8:35 pm

AWW tis ok ull live ur names cool

Btw i love Foaly he ma fave charictar i think its the quick wit or the way he stirs **** that makes me like him

but he reminds me of my uncle!

iglybo December 11th, 2006 8:43 pm

I have all the Artemis Fowl Books:D and I've read them several time, although they aren't as good as HP of corse,:lol: Arty rules, I went on holiday to Ireland,:p partly, coz of those books.:lol: Ireland is awesome,:D feries rule, Arty rules and Juliett rocks, the third is my fave.:tu: God, I sound like I should be on a Artemis Fowl fan site not a HP one.:lol: Of course HP is soooo much better but that goes without saying.:lol: Go Arty!:clap:

remusfan December 17th, 2006 1:37 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwHSH (Post 4157443)
One of my best friends has been nagging me to read the series ever since she read them. I'm about to start, i just have to go to the library (now where did i put my library card?) I can't wait to read it!

I'm the nagging friend! I feel so proud! :D

witchsmart December 23rd, 2006 9:55 pm

Quote:

Original Quote from moonfoot:
I really hope they make a movie out of these books soon.
I read awhile ago that they were gonna make a movie out of them but I haven't heard anything else since.

Quote:

Original Quote from Stetson:
I was so obsessed with it when I was younger that I started writing notes to people in the secret code, even though no one knew what the heck I was talking about. I decoded the 4th one, but when I went to decode the 1st one, I discovered that my mom had given the book away! Oh well...the message isn't anything important, though it is a little funny. I'll post it later if I have time.
Me too! I actually considered sending Eion Colfer a letter written completely in Gnommish. I've decoded all of the secret messages in the books and found the one in the fifth book really weird. But it was referring to demons.

My favorite character is Foaly because he's so smart and funny. I also like Mulch Diggums because he can make lots of funny comments in almost any situation.

Artemis_Fowl_2 December 23rd, 2006 11:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by witchsmart (Post 4255277)
I read awhile ago that they were gonna make a movie out of them but I haven't heard anything else since.

There was a movie idea and it was even posted on the Internet Movie Database. The year of production changed a couple of times because they kept holding off on it. Now it is no longer listed so I don't know if the idea for a movie will ever surface again. I hope it does because I'd love to see it.

darkchild February 11th, 2007 3:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2 (Post 4255480)
There was a movie idea and it was even posted on the Internet Movie Database. The year of production changed a couple of times because they kept holding off on it. Now it is no longer listed so I don't know if the idea for a movie will ever surface again. I hope it does because I'd love to see it.

There will be a movie, but it might take a while before we get to see it. I found an interview with Eoin over at AFC, and this is what he had to say regarding the movie:

Quote:

7) The movie has slowly been coming together, and we have a few names associated with it, but is there anything new you could tell us? Any major changes to the plot? Any new/different characters? Any idea of how and when casting will begin?

I have been working intermittently on the screenplay for the past year with Jim Sheridan the Irish director. We have kept the heart of books one and two but I also wanted to do something cinematic and spectacular so we added a big exciting ending. No new characters but plenty of new one liners. I really love the story and we hope to go into production this Summer. No cast yet.
A big exciting ending and plenty of one liners :D. Sounds great!

Emi February 12th, 2007 8:43 pm

Quote:

9) On a random note, if you could be any type of food, what would you be?

A cheescake... I look soft on the top but I am tough underneath.
:rotfl: Great interview!

ModernInkling February 15th, 2007 6:41 pm

I Love Artemis Fowl! It's just a couple places down from HP on my list of favorite books. I was getting a little worried about the books after reading "The Opal Deception" (I didn't like it all that much, thought it was a little boring) but "The Lost Colony" was absolutely fantasic. i can't wait til the next one comes out...

Oh, and I hope they don't make a movie out of it; I think it would be too easy to ruin the story and characters.

BTW, my favorite characters are Juliet and Foaly... Juliet's awesome :D

iglybo February 15th, 2007 7:37 pm

Juliets my fave too.

Iqen February 16th, 2007 2:53 pm

I just finished the fourth book! Fantastic as usual. Sadly, Juliet wasn't even mentioned in it.

BurrowGhoul February 16th, 2007 3:15 pm

I love Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer is such a witty writer.

We were watching some DVD, I can't remember what, and there was what looked like a preview for Artemis Fowl. I nearly jumped out of my seat, I was so excited, but it turned out to just be a plug for the books. Grrrr, what a letdown!

_HeRmIoNe_G_ February 18th, 2007 12:28 am

I really hope that they eventually make a movie of it.. that would be awesome!

Artemis_Fowl_2 February 18th, 2007 1:04 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by _HeRmIoNe_G_ (Post 4354406)
I really hope that they eventually make a movie of it.. that would be awesome!

One was in the works at one point, but the project has since been dropped. We can only hope that someone picks it up again.

Rhea7 April 3rd, 2007 12:11 am

I love the Artemis Fowl books. I really really dislike Minerva, she's just there as a foil of Artemis. He use to be like that and now his new self can truely see how horrible he use to be, and I really, really hope that they stay far far apart from eachother. An elf/human relationship coudl work as long as htey don't have kids, because I'm not really sure how that would work. I love Holy, she's the strong girl character who can outsmart and out-run/anything to do with athletics anyone, and thats a good role model for everyone. The Lost Colony was a deent book, not my favourite. That was the first time I actually predicted Artemis' plan before hand. I can't wait until another book is published in this amazing series.

branwall April 3rd, 2007 12:15 am

first, I cant in a million years see holly and artemis. Second, I do like minerva, and she could change just like artemis. Last, are we certain there will be another book? I would love one, and there was some foreshadowing as to it, but still, after reading lost colony, it felt pretty final

BurrowGhoul April 3rd, 2007 1:20 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by branwall (Post 4431204)
first, I cant in a million years see holly and artemis.

Isn't she, like, a thousand years older than him or something? I think she has a more "older sister" relationship with him than romantic. She does, however, have a veeerry soft spot for Butler... :eyebrows:

Mad_Druid April 3rd, 2007 8:34 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by branwall (Post 4431204)
Last, are we certain there will be another book? I would love one, and there was some foreshadowing as to it, but still, after reading lost colony, it felt pretty final

Eoin Colfer has confirmed that there will be one more book in the series.

The plot of the book is also unknown. However....

- Eoin Colfer has stated that Trouble Kelp will play a much larger role in book 6, in a romantic sense to Holly Short.
- Eoin Colfer has also stated that the two siblings of Artemis Fowl are both boys. The names he is currently leaning towards are Jonathon and Finian.
- Eoin Colfer has stated that the action will take place in Finland, and will involve a creature that has slept for millenia, more time travel, and irritating younger twin brothers.

In regards to the movie, Colfer said this year that

"I have been working intermittently on the screenplay for the past year with Jim Sheridan the Irish director. We have kept the heart of books one and two but I also wanted to do something cinematic and spectacular so we added a big exciting ending. No new characters but plenty of new one liners. I really love the story and we hope to go into production this Summer. No cast yet."

sirikenobs36 April 4th, 2007 2:01 am

I really hoped it would be Juliet with Artemis... strangely..whenever i think about Minerva... i think about Dr. Izzie stevens from Greys Anatomy.....weird. And when i think of Juliet.. i think of Uma Thurman in Kill Bill....weirder. And when i think of Artemis Fowl...i think of Daniel Radcliffe. Most of all, whenever i think of Butler. I think of the cartoon Cadbury from Richie Rich.

Artemis_Fowl_2 April 4th, 2007 7:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirikenobs36 (Post 4433648)
And when i think of Artemis Fowl...i think of Daniel Radcliffe.

Interesting. I don't think of anyone like Daniel at all. Actually I can't think of a particular person as Artemis; he's just made from scratch in my mind.

I see where you get Uma Thurman for Juliet!

ladyblack23 April 5th, 2007 5:35 am

I think the end of the 5th book was very very sad. I found it almost heartbreaking, the scene with
Butler waiting for (3 was it?) years for Arty to return.
It nearly brought me to tears. I think that the first 3 are the best. I didn't really like the 4th.
When Julius died,
I was so upset I could hardly finish the book!

But Artemis is a fantastic series, and he is one of my all time favourite literary characters! he makes me laugh so hard!

BurrowGhoul April 5th, 2007 1:41 pm

Ladyblack23, I agree with you on all of your points, especially the ones under the spoiler tags. Some of my favorite characters!

Neptune April 8th, 2007 1:51 am

I just finished "The Lost Colony" last night. It's been sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read since it came out but I just never got around to reading it.

I thought it was good, but definitely my least favorite of the series. I don't know why but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the others. 1 and 3 are my favorites and I have to say that Foaly is probably my favorite character. He's so funny! Closely followed by Artemis himself....

One thing I did really like about "The Lost Colony" was No1. I thought he was a sweet smart and funny character! I liked him a lot. I also like Artemis's new "gift" and I can see a great potential using that in the next book!!

Rhea7 April 8th, 2007 7:43 pm

I can see how Holy and Artemis coud be taken as a platonicly simbling love, but I can still hope. Minerva....I think she will change but I'm hoping that doesn't mean that Artemis falls in love with her, because I think I would puke all over the book. I picture Artemis kind of similar (not too much) to the kid who played the brother in The Series of Unfortunate events. I don't know, I have a friend that I call Artemis because he's a computer wiz and super smart, really skinny and not too athletic. =], my teacher was crackin up because he is like him.

I want there to be a movie, but I doubt it will be anywhere near how good it should be. Unless they get a group of devoted fans to cast and write the screenplay, it won't be as good as it should.

Matthadias April 10th, 2007 7:02 pm

All the books are pheonominal!
I dont no how eion Colfer does it!
(excuse sp. errors!)

hedwig_3180 April 13th, 2007 10:06 pm

I read Artemis Fowl on recomendation of my friend. I was hooked. Can't wait for book 6 and the movie.

Defyeverything May 8th, 2007 8:34 pm

*Gasp* I'm so happy I found this topic! I didn't know the 5th book came out already, I've been waiting on it since I read the series last summer. It's almost as good as the Harry Potter series! (almost)

bookkid June 30th, 2007 4:04 am

I loved this series!! My favorite character is Foaly, but I bawled in The Opal Deception when Root was killed cuz he was great:( I also like Mulch. My favorite parts are when Juliet took out Loafers and Mulch said " Hey, Butler. Just a shot in the dark here but I'd say that's your sister" and also when Mulch is driving Loafers nuts. My favorite one was the Opal Deception, i don't know why but i also particularly like The Arctic Incident. The Lost Colony was really good but very unexpected and kind of strange, like the part where Holly dies and then comes back to life. All in all it is an excellent series and I have my copies of the books on my special shelf with my HP books, O.S. Card books, Calvin and Hobbes books, and My Redwall Books so you know i liked them a lot. :)

silverstarz July 6th, 2007 10:39 pm

i'm in the middle of reading artemis fowl: the lost colony. i find it rather enlightning. :D

Hawkowl July 7th, 2007 4:28 pm

I like the first three the best.
I found the Opal Decption annoying because Artemis sort of had to turn good again, when he already had in the previous books.
The Lost Colony had too much of No1 and not enough of Artemis and Holly.
That's not to say I didn't like them, though.
I hope that the last one will be better that the fourth and the fifth.
As for the film, I just want to say that they'd better get a good actor for Artemis.
It would be cool if all of the actors were Irish.