Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Artemis Fowl Thread (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=92990)

Mad_Druid November 13th, 2008 11:53 am

Re: Artemis Fowl Thread

I love the books. They're a great take on Irish fairy lore IMO.

Morning_Star November 14th, 2008 2:42 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux (Post 5180843)
i thought it was more scifi than fantasy, basically fairies use technology, so just like your basic alien book i guess.

I always think about them as Fantasy with a dash of Science Fiction, as it is considered Fantasy books by most people (library, book store and so on), wven though the fairy technology is very Science Fiction.

browneyedkat December 7th, 2008 9:47 pm

Oh my god, I LOVE Artemis Fowl!!!!! They are sort of Sci-fi. They're sci-fi fantasy. And Artemis is HAWT!!!!!! They're really funny too!!

Charline81 January 6th, 2009 2:12 pm

I got all the books except the one that was released not long ago forget when it came out. Anyways lol I had seen Lost Colony at the Navy NEX and thought it looked interesting and bought it, only to come home and find out it was book 5 in a series ****
I then had to go online to Alibris.com and buy the first four lol I ended up with two copies of the opal deception due to an ordering mix up lol
I finished the first Artemis Fowl and liked it alot, I started on the second but then Deathly Hallows came out ****
I will eventually finish the series.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux January 6th, 2009 8:59 pm

the problem I have with Artemis Fowl is that I like Artemis himself in the first book the best, but then the plot gets better later :p

Mad_Druid January 8th, 2009 5:30 am

I much prefer Artemis when he begins to question what is right and what is wrong.

Tibbetts January 8th, 2009 4:43 pm

I recentely read the first Artemis Fowl novel, and the second arrived with my copy of the Codex Alera novel. It was a far better story than I had originally feared it might be, so I bought book 2.

How many Artemis Fowl novels are there? Six?

-Tibbetts

Voldemorts8thHorcrux January 8th, 2009 10:05 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Druid (Post 5215085)
I much prefer Artemis when he begins to question what is right and what is wrong.

i like him better at first, its simply a more unique story that way.

BurrowGhoul January 8th, 2009 10:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux (Post 5215435)
i like him better at first, its simply a more unique story that way.

I agree. Reprehensible, but still somehow likeable. Butler, however, is awesome throughout.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux January 8th, 2009 11:18 pm

Yep, Butler is the best :lol:

Mad_Druid January 9th, 2009 1:43 am

Artemis was interesting in the first book, but if he hadn't developed and evolved then the books would just have gotten stale IMO.

I love Foaly :cool:

Voldemorts8thHorcrux January 9th, 2009 1:48 am

I definitely agree, but I wish he was colder just a bit longer :lol:

LilyLunaPotter February 1st, 2009 6:36 am

I think I am going to go crazy, I still havent read Time Paradox yet!! Its never in at the library, and my parents wont take my to a bookstore!

RemusJ February 5th, 2009 3:10 pm

The child in me really loved Artemis Fowl. It is certainly a childrens book, and I thought that was really obvious, but I still enjoyed it heaps!

Oh, I especially loved the farting dwarf... immature, I know, but classic!

Voldemorts8thHorcrux February 5th, 2009 10:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilyLunaPotter (Post 5228093)
I think I am going to go crazy, I still havent read Time Paradox yet!! Its never in at the library, and my parents wont take my to a bookstore!

My parents refused to buy it for me :(, so i'll be waiting for the paperback. I ended up reading it in a comfy armchair for a few hours but i really want to reread it since i had to rush through so much :(

SunXia March 16th, 2009 2:56 pm

I love Artemis Fowl and have done from my early teens. Wow, I think it was really ingenius how he devised the character and his growth.

I love how Artemis gets aggravated with his hormones in the fifth book, it was quite hilarious and how Butler, for the first time ,had to really explain stuff to Artemis like in the middle of the switch over.

I hope he continues to write the books until he's at least settled or in love with somebody, it'll be amazing!!

From Diggums, Butler, Foaly and Root and Trouble and co, I love all their interactions and I love how the sixth really reveals stuff about the series.

hestiajones June 2nd, 2009 9:53 am

Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series

The series is about an ambitious young boy called Artemis Fowl whose objectives are:
1. To find his father (the last of Ireland’s infamous Fowl family of criminals)
2. To gather as much wealth for the same purpose
He is this incredible genius of a criminal mastermind who, along with his loyal and dangerous bodyguard called Butler and the people of the Lower Elements (pixies, fairies, etc.), undergo a series of adventures and quests.

Has anyone read them? What did you like best abut them? Who were your favorite characters?

I liked the way Colfer played around with his messages. Artemis is actually an anti-hero. He is not known for being scrupulous and is more or less morally ambiguous in the beginning. In the end though, he is forced to recognize the error of his ways.

Favorite characters” Artemis, Butler, Captain Holly and Mulch Diggums.

Tibbetts June 2nd, 2009 7:08 pm

I've been reading through them recentely. I'm up to Book 3 - The Eternity Code. Favorite characters for me would have to be Holly(the LEP Recon Captain), Artemis himself, Mulch, Foely, and Butler.

-Tibbetts

darkchild June 2nd, 2009 11:41 pm

Will there be a seventh book, does anyone know?

Voldemorts8thHorcrux June 2nd, 2009 11:42 pm

I think The Time Paradox is supposed to be the last one, but i could be wrong