Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   In Cinemas & General Movie discussion (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   The Hobbit movie news (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=112936)

Klio October 12th, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: The Hobbit movie news

Actually, the Trolls can be seen in the FotR movie - and in the FotR SEE there is also a reference to them (SAM: 'Look, Mr. Frodo. Mr Bilbo's Trolls!' - or something to that effect).

Since the trolls will be CGI it would be great if that scene could morph into a shiny new version of the stone trolls we have already seen!

vampiricduck October 17th, 2008 12:27 am

Yup, I had forgotten that bit, but it would be great to return to that exactly as it was in the first film and fix it up to fit nicely with the Hobbit film. Real work of genius if that happened though.

Green_Arrow April 12th, 2009 9:04 pm

From one of the links posted previously in the thread:

http://www.waitingforbilbo.com/comics/2008-06-15.jpg

:lol:

I don't care what anyone says, The Hobbit has been one of my favourite children's story books, and I'm just looking forward to the movie!

I'm quite happy at the fact that Sir Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis will (hopefully) be back - that will be worth it for sure! :D

But seriously, 2012 is a long time!

Klio April 13th, 2009 12:25 am

Isn't it December 2011 for the first instalment?

Emmie April 16th, 2009 1:33 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klio (Post 5279015)
Isn't it December 2011 for the first instalment?

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the case.

A lot of people (including me, for a few weeks) got confused because imdb says 2012, but Guillermo del Toro confirmed to theonering.net that the rumor of a delay was false.

Pearl_Took April 16th, 2009 10:11 pm

OK, so that's five months after the Deathly Hallows finale. :cool:

A good year for films, 2011. :D

I don't want to know anything until I see a trailer. :rockon:

I think Bilbo is in good hands. :tu:

I do think it's kind of cool, TH being released 10 years after FotR. :)

Oh, I was thinking ... I saw FotR last night at the Royal Albert Hall, with the London Orchestra and London Voices performing Howard Shore's score live, it was wonderful :love: and I got to thinking about talking beasts (as you do!)

I am so glad they didn't have Gwaihir talk in the films. :yuhup: I know he speaks in the book, :D and also in the BBC radio dramatisation of 1981, which works fine. :) But I just don't think that would have worked in Peter Jackson's films at all.

I do think, though, that a talking dragon, and Roac, will work just fine in Del Toro's forthcoming film. :cool:

Morning_Star April 17th, 2009 8:01 pm

I didn't believe Father when he first told me about The Hobbit being made a movie, how could he possibly know that before I did? :lol: I found out later he told the truth, and apologized for not believing him. :) He could've said it just to see my reaction when he told me he fooled me, so I chose not to believe him before I had it from someone else (that is, reliable sources on the Internet). :p

I kinda look forward to this movie, and I will probably watch it, but I think The Hobbit is such a nice book, I wouldn't like it to be ruined by a bad movie presentation of it. But I doubt it will be that bad, and I think of both the HP movies and the LotR movies as something totally different from the original books, so I don't think I should be worried anyway. :D

romionefanatic April 18th, 2009 1:39 am

Awesome! I didn't know there was gonna be a movie for The Hobbit! I love that book, and LOTR.

Aiwendil April 19th, 2009 8:02 am

Confirmed: The Hobbit to be split.

Empireonline.com has a world exclusive interview with Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson, revealing the format of The Hobbit.

Quote:

We’ve known for a while that Peter Jackson and Guillermo Del Toro’s eagerly-awaited adaptation of the Lord Of The Rings prequel, The Hobbit, would comprise two movies, due in December 2011 and 2012. But the make-up of those two movies has been up for debate… until now.

We spoke exclusively to both Del Toro and Jackson for our birthday issue, and they told us the latest, which is…

“We’ve decided to have The Hobbit span the two movies, including the White Council and the comings and goings of Gandalf to Dol Guldur,” says Del Toro.

“We decided it would be a mistake to try to cram everything into one movie,” adds Jackson. “The essential brief was to do The Hobbit, and it allows us to make The Hobbit in a little more style, if you like, of the [LOTR] trilogy.”

So there you go. The second film will not, as had previously been suggested, a film that will bridge the 60-year gap between The Hobbit and the start of Fellowship Of The Ring
If they are making two films, I definitely think this is the best way, rather than having a "bridge film". I am so excited at this news, and that they will inlcude the White Council. Let's just hope they can get all of the original actors back. :tu::cool:

gertiekeddle April 19th, 2009 11:21 am

I was very suspicious that anyone could ever create something as beautiful as the LOTR movie triology - but right now I'm actually in little hope the Hobbit movies could become even nicer. It's great and something to really really look forward, too.

Neat move that they're going to include Gandalf's planings and Dol Guldor. It's sufficient that they're not explained in extense in the book, but it could work out really nice for the movies.

Pearl_Took April 19th, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm not a fan of splitting a book in half, as those on the movie threads will know :lol: but I do prefer the idea of a two-part Hobbit movie to the idea of this second 'bridge' film, which sounded ... very worrying, because this would just be, erm, making stuff up :shrug: and I couldn't see a central narrative emerging from the time inbetween The Hobbit and the events of LotR :hmm:

I do that the Hobbit movie is in excellent hands. Del Toro is a wonderful director. :)

LyraLovegood April 19th, 2009 3:42 pm

I would think that the central narrative for the bridge film would have been the tale of Aragorn and Arwen from the corresponding LotR Appendix. There was a lot of fan speculation along those lines.

And making stuff up would be nothing new for Jackson or Del Toro. :/

Any raging debate on where the movie will be split? :D Or has that been announced? :hmm:

Klio April 19th, 2009 7:52 pm

LOL..... yes, well, when I started that debate over at the COE (where it is still a little to quiet to be a 'raging' debate, really), I spared a wistful thought for the discussions which have been going on here about DH.

So far, on the COE at least, there is no-one who carries a signature along the lines of 'supporter of a Beorn split' (or better: 'Supporter of a Queer Lodgings Split') ;)

For what it is worth, I think they should split it after the Gollum encounter, when Bilbo re-unites with the dwarves. That's a reasonable ending, and the climax would be the riddle game.

I can't currently think of another place where I'd rather split the story.

Pearl_Took April 20th, 2009 1:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyraLovegood (Post 5284504)
I would think that the central narrative for the bridge film would have been the tale of Aragorn and Arwen from the corresponding LotR Appendix. There was a lot of fan speculation along those lines.

Yes, that would have made sense. :) Obvious choice, really. The only problem being that I'm really not into Aragorn/Arwen that much :yuhup: and I'm not sure I would trust the film-makers with how to give that story a decent treatment. PJ just about managed it, but only just about.

Quote:

And making stuff up would be nothing new for Jackson or Del Toro. :/
Oh, sure. Jackson made plenty of stuff up for his adaptation of LotR. :grumble: I like the films, by the way. :) But I am glad that Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens curbed Peter's excesses. :whistle:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klio (Post 5284644)
So far, on the COE at least, there is no-one who carries a signature along the lines of 'supporter of a Beorn split' (or better: 'Supporter of a Queer Lodgings Split') ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Quote:

For what it is worth, I think they should split it after the Gollum encounter, when Bilbo re-unites with the dwarves. That's a reasonable ending, and the climax would be the riddle game.

I can't currently think of another place where I'd rather split the story.
I'd split it when Gandalf goes off and leaves them. :hmm: Is the riddle game even half way through the story? (It's been YEARS since I read it. My passion is for LotR, rather than its charming little prologue.)

I really, really hope they don't make The Hobbit too bloated. :sigh: It's not LotR, and it shouldn't be trying to be like LotR. :sigh:

I

DeathlyH April 24th, 2009 10:19 pm

Two movies?? I don't think there was nearly enough material in the Hobbit to make two movies. But it sounds like they'll be including some "bridge stuff" too, so I'll be interested to see how this goes... I think they should split after the dwarves are imprisoned by the wood-elves, and Bilbo is wondering what to do next. That's about the middle of the book, and seems a logical place to stop since it's pretty climatic (did I spell that right? :lol:).

I agree with Pearl_Took, I hope this isn't too bloated. The Hobbit is very different than the Lord of the Rings. It's much lighter, and is really only designed to set the stage for the LotR.

Klio April 24th, 2009 11:27 pm

Well, there is suddenly a good deal of new information (weel, a good deal compared to the deafening silence we have had for months).

The whole stuff - Empire Magazine interview and a couple of Del Toro posta ar TORN - is collected here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl_Took (Post 5284844)
I'd split it when Gandalf goes off and leaves them. :hmm: Is the riddle game even half way through the story? (It's been YEARS since I read it.)

Well, it's also years since I last read it. Apparently the Riddle Game is in ch. 6 (I am informed by people who seem more knowledgeable than I am). Some suggest that Film 1 should actually make it as far as Esgaroth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathlyH (Post 5288594)
Two movies?? I don't think there was nearly enough material in the Hobbit to make two movies.

Agreed....

gertiekeddle April 25th, 2009 9:23 am

I think it depends how you look on that movie. The ring story between Bilbo and Gollum alone could be a half movie. There are so many adventures included in the Hobbit, which Tolkien only tells us about rather fast, it could work. Others than in LOTR Tolkien doesn't take very much time to tell about the places and adventures in The Hobbit, but jumps from one event to the next without many breaks. Still there's not so less happen than in LOTR actionswise I believe. You could split between the travel and the actual events around Smaug and the final battle and probably get two good movies without problems.

I don't want the movie makers to do things up, but for me it seems there's enough adventure provided by Tolkien to create two movies out of it. :)

Klio April 25th, 2009 11:40 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gertiekeddle (Post 5288893)
I think it depends how you look on that movie. The ring story between Bilbo and Gollum alone could be a half movie. There are so many adventures included in the Hobbit, which Tolkien only tells us about rather fast, it could work. Others than in LOTR Tolkien doesn't take very much time to tell about the places and adventures in The Hobbit, but jumps from one event to the next without many breaks. Still there's not so less happen than in LOTR actionswise I believe. You could split between the travel and the actual events around Smaug and the final battle and probably get two good movies without problems.

I don't want the movie makers to do things up, but for me it seems there's enough adventure provided by Tolkien to create two movies out of it. :)

Well, they'll somehow add some of the back story and the whole stuff about the rise of the 'Necromancer' in Dol Guldur, Gandalfs attempts to find out more about him, and finally the whole action to drive him out of Mirkwood. That's a lot of 'big' stuff they can add in to the smaller and more personal story of the Hobbit (well, till you get to the final scenes, obviously).

They can even have TWO large battles if they like - one at Dul Guldur, and one at Erebor. I am not saying that they'll do that, I am not even sure whether I want two huge lengthy battle scenes - but they could do that if they wanted. They could even do one per film, I guess.

ginger1 April 25th, 2009 3:48 pm

The Empire Magazine (what a good issue that is, Hobbit, Star Trek, Potter, Viggo, what more could you want :) ) has one small but vital headline for me - "Shore's Back too". Now I have more of a feeling that Middle Earth is in safe hands. I'm still very undecided about Guillermo, but with Peter Jackson, Weta Digital, Fran and Phillipa, Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen, and New Zealand, I can start to relax a bit.

Shore's quote just made my day - "I like to do a lot of reading and research just to mentally put myself in Middle-earth so I can create new music from a sincere part of my being. It's just such a wonderful world to be in, Middle-earth."

And they have Alan Lee on board as well, so things are looking up ...

Klio April 25th, 2009 8:32 pm

Indeed. I have to say for me Alan Lee is absolutely central to the success of LotR. I have been a fan since some time before he did the LotR centenary edition. There aren't many people illustrating ancient mythology (he did the odyssey and the Marbinogion, among other things) whose work I like and whose illustrations turn even a paperback into something that feels a bit like a valuable medieval book. :)

And having Howard Shore back is also excellent. :) I couldn't imagine it without him.

And yes - the new issue of Empire is excellent. :)