Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Importance Of the Mirrors (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=101038)

haiya227 February 2nd, 2007 11:46 pm

Importance Of the Mirrors

WARNING: This is a spoiler free area. For all Deathly Hallows discussion, please head to The Deathly Hallows Forum. Any posts in this thread that are considered to be spoilers shall be deleted by staff. Thank you.

What do people think the importance of the mirrors are in the 7th book?

Some Possibilities:

1)Hallows - Halloween when the contact of spirit world and physical world is the strongest. Maybe he can use it as a spirit contacting device.

2)I think the mirror and the veil go together somehow.

Also Mirrors are in the story a lot

rigdoctorbri February 3rd, 2007 12:19 am

Re: Importance Of the Mirrors

Broken Mirrors

An ancient myth our ancestors believed was that the image in a mirror is our actual soul. A broken mirror represented the soul being astray from your body. To break the spell of misfortune, you must wait seven hours (one for each year of bad luck) before picking up the broken pieces, and bury them outside in the moonlight.

Do you see the corollation between the number 7, and the 7 shreds of the soul?

Another such legend is that mirrors are actually a gateway to a direct parallel world. A world where everything is backward. Good is evil, evil is good. Right is left, Left is right. Up is down, down is up. And you are the exact opposite of who you are in this world.

It was once said that a spell could trap someone in a mirror on the opposite world. You could look out to the other world, but never set foot in it again unless you learned the secret to escape, and that was to walk backward through the mirror.

mactabard_25 February 3rd, 2007 12:34 am

There is some importance to the mirrors... or at least the mirror that Sirius gave Harry. I seem to remeber that JK said in an interview that it would still play a part in the final book. Personally I kind of agree with the contact with the dead or non physical world through use of Sirius's mirror. Maybe he will use it to talk to Sirius briefly about Lilly or Snape.

WeasleyRules February 3rd, 2007 12:35 am

I have always supported the many ideas and theories on the veil. But using the mirrors...i dunno. And which mirrors? I hope we're still not talking about the mirror given to Harry by Sirius, because Harry broke that mirror at the end of term in OotP in his dorm. And no don't suggest that he repaired it, because the book doesn't say he did, and if Jo had another purpose for them later on she would have made sure that the reparo charm was included in the book (which it isn't).
We have already seen the use of the mirror of Erised, which i think could play a major role, if included in Deathly Hallows. Think about it, a mirror that shows your true hearts desire. Isn't the downfall of LV Harry's true hearts desire now? I think so. Let me know what you think of the idea

rigdoctorbri February 3rd, 2007 1:14 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeasleyRules (Post 4328366)
I have always supported the many ideas and theories on the veil. But using the mirrors...i dunno. And which mirrors? I hope we're still not talking about the mirror given to Harry by Sirius, because Harry broke that mirror at the end of term in OotP in his dorm. And no don't suggest that he repaired it, because the book doesn't say he did, and if Jo had another purpose for them later on she would have made sure that the reparo charm was included in the book (which it isn't).
We have already seen the use of the mirror of Erised, which i think could play a major role, if included in Deathly Hallows. Think about it, a mirror that shows your true hearts desire. Isn't the downfall of LV Harry's true hearts desire now? I think so. Let me know what you think of the idea

I guess the Mirror of Erised is the exact opposite of a Boggart...The mirror shows what we desire most, whereas a boggart shows us what we least desire, or most fear.

MrSleepyHead February 3rd, 2007 1:37 am

The Two Way Mirrors and their Use in the Future

Will we see the Mirror of Erised again?

The Mirror in SS/PS was a trap for Voldemort v2

A Broken Mirror = 7 Years Bad Luck?

These threads may interest you as well.

Personally, I have a feeling we will be seeing the Mirror of Erised again (as well as the two way mirrors). What also interests me is the cracked mirror we see in the boys' bathroom in HBP. You'd think that they would have repaired it (I mean, one simple 'Reparo!' would do the trick) - could this cracked mirror have future importance?

rigdoctorbri February 3rd, 2007 2:41 am

Yep, that is my point about the power of mirrors. They are not just pieces of glass, but inheirently magical items. Upon creation of any mirror it is imbued with a magic automatically, even the mirrors that we muggles make

kluvhp February 4th, 2007 2:12 am

Good ideas. I think Sirius's mirror could have importance, even if we didn't see it be repaired. I mean, we never saw Harry get the Marauders Map back, but he did, and that was important later. (With following Malfoy and stuff.) I think that the shattered mirror idea is really cool! (With waiting 7 years) We also saw that mirrors were important in the Chamber of Secrets--they saved Hermione and Penelope Clearwater's life. And a reflection, similar to a mirror, saved Mrs. Norris.

hazeleyes February 4th, 2007 2:16 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeasleyRules (Post 4328366)

He broke the mirror? I have no recollection of that! Alright i'm going to read OotP right now! My mind is playing tricks on me:p

fang25 February 6th, 2007 12:25 am

JKR: I have no comment at all on that mirror. That mirror is not on the table.

thats a quote from Jo in an interview after book six! I believe that would insinuate that it is coming back (i also vaguely recall a quote about the mirror of erised but i cant find it!):tu:

Selene Sedai February 6th, 2007 12:34 am

I don't think the Mirrors will be super important.

haiya227 February 6th, 2007 12:35 am

I believe that the mirror though broken will play an important role in the last book because Jo said it will come back again in one of her interviews. Or maybe the mirrors can identify horcruxes or locate them or something like that. What do you guys think?

brogan February 6th, 2007 1:00 am

Jo deffinetly said that the mirrors would be coming back and playing a role. What role is hard to tell. There are some very interesting ideas out there. As much as I hope that Harry will be able to talk to Sirius, I don't think he'll be able to. It'd be nice to know where that veil went to though.

haiya227 February 6th, 2007 1:03 am

Who agrees that the mirror is linked to the veil and that the voices behind the veil is the afterlife.

Celsius February 6th, 2007 1:49 am

Interesting thread. Yes I also recall the old wives tale of looking into the mirror and it breaking, but that is for ugliness or something else. There is definitely some link between mirrors and probably the number 7, since in the wizarding world it is the most magical number and the most powerful.

there may be a connection between the veil and the mirror afterall. Maybe you can actually bring someone back, through the mirror. Yes, a little farfetched, but one must stretch their imagination. Mirror's, Cloaks, Veils...all seem to hide something and lead to some intiguing mysteries.

Wiggins306 February 6th, 2007 4:31 am

If harry's desire is to stop LV (and why wouldn't be?), and assuming that the Mirror of Erised plays a role, will it not show Harry the path, or am i mistaken on how it works?

Because this is very interesting

Cate1976 February 6th, 2007 5:23 pm

If I remember right, Harry broke his mirror after calling Sirius's name into it after his death. Of course, he didn't get a reply so in his grief threw the mirror into his trunk breaking it.

rigdoctorbri February 6th, 2007 7:09 pm

How many pieces did Harry's mirror from Sirius break into? I could not find anything to show that, but if there is a number of shards noted, it could be telling.

harryhugger February 6th, 2007 8:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri (Post 4334667)
How many pieces did Harry's mirror from Sirius break into? I could not find anything to show that, but if there is a number of shards noted, it could be telling.

Nothing's been said about that yet because Harry hasn't looked at the mirror since the end of OotP. Hopefully, though, he can still fix the mirror!

Culte Ventosus February 6th, 2007 10:17 pm

Why did Harry have to forget the mirror he had been given by Sirius in 'Order of the Phoenix'?
I can’t give a full answer to this, because it is relevant to books six and seven. However, the
short answer is that Harry was determined never to use the mirror, as is clearly stated in
chapter 24: ‘he knew he would never use whatever it was’. For once in Harry’s life, he does not
succumb to curiosity, he hides the mirror and the temptation away from himself, and then, when it
might have been useful, he has forgotten it.
The mirror might not have helped as much as you think, but on the other hand, will help more
than you think. You’ll have to read the final books to understand that!

(This was taken from JKR's site...)