Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Artemis Fowl Thread (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=92990)

PhoenixLuna August 28th, 2008 11:47 pm

Re: Artemis Fowl Thread

I read the first book in this series; I thought it was pretty good. I haven’t gotten around to reading the other books in the series yet though.

GodricHollow August 29th, 2008 9:48 am

Spoiler: show
I've got to reread chapter 1 of Time Paradox at some point. Prefferably when I'm alone so as to not be accused of being insane. The twins are too funny for words.

Simple-toon, me? Quite probably, yes.

Angel26 August 31st, 2008 9:39 am

Has anyone listened to the Artemis Fowl audiobooks? I've always enjoyed listening to audiobooks, particularly at work, which would be extremely boring otherwise. Nathaniel Parker has done an amazing job with them, and really brings the characters to life. I love all his voices, especially the ones for Artemis, Root and Foaly. They are spot on, in my opinion.

I was disappointed at first to find that Nathaniel Parker hadn't read the Time Paradox. Enn Reitel's performance isn't very good, especially when you compare it to Nathanial Parker's. Reitel's voices don't suit the characters, particularly Butler and Foaly. And he's not very good with accents either. That's one thing I love about Nathaniel Parker, the fact that his accents are spot on.

I have since found out that Nathaniel Parker has recorded the Time Paradox, and it will be released in the next month or so.

Sheree September 3rd, 2008 5:07 pm

I thought Time Paradox was a splendid read. I love the definitive change that we're seeing in Artemis. He seems so normal - especially compared to the 10 year old version of himself! Colfer, I think, hit a home run with this one. :tu:

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 3rd, 2008 5:40 pm

Well it kind of liked young artemis better :lol:, he was a bit more interesting, but older artemis is pretty cool all the same. His intents may be better, but he's still sly and cunning :p. The twins were so cute though :lol: Simpletoon :love:.

haiya227 September 11th, 2008 1:15 am

Time paradox ooh when someone kissed someone if you know what i mean.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 11th, 2008 2:09 am

I know what you mean, but spoiler tags for those very unsimpletoonish artemis fowl readers who can guess what you mean even without reading the book ;).

Ok...well, I've read it, but I'm guessing tons of people haven't yet

Mad_Druid September 11th, 2008 4:46 am

I haven't read it yet. I really like the series but not enough to buy the book brand new at the price it is at the moment.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 11th, 2008 10:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad_Druid (Post 5135727)
I haven't read it yet. I really like the series but not enough to buy the book brand new at the price it is at the moment.

My mom wouldn't let me buy it either, but I got to read it at Barnes and Noble. But I will definitely be buying it when the paperback comes out and I can read it properly. I just can't handle being in the dark :p. I really want to reread the first book, but they only had hardcover at the store

BurrowGhoul September 12th, 2008 12:10 am

I am a big fan of the public library. Harry Potter 7 was the last book I ever purchased for myself, and I am certain the book before it was Harry Potter 6.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 12th, 2008 2:11 am

i like the public library when it's for non popular books...unlike artemis fowl, because then i end up on year long waiting lists...

BurrowGhoul September 12th, 2008 3:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux (Post 5136350)
i like the public library when it's for non popular books...unlike artemis fowl, because then i end up on year long waiting lists...

Ah, the trick is to get your name on the waiting list as soon as you hear a book is going to be published. I have been in the top 10 for the last 3 books I have had waitlisted.

Mad_Druid September 12th, 2008 9:27 am

*Goes to check the library website*

....Ooh! It's on loan but there are no reserves :D

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 12th, 2008 9:03 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul (Post 5136422)
Ah, the trick is to get your name on the waiting list as soon as you hear a book is going to be published. I have been in the top 10 for the last 3 books I have had waitlisted.

but still, Artemis fowl is one of myfavorite series, and therefore, I have to have it :D

haiya227 September 14th, 2008 9:31 pm

lol library is bad for popular books because even if you are 10th on the list it will be probably 10-14 weeks of wait.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 14th, 2008 10:14 pm

actually, last time i was like 10th for elsewhere, but I ended up getting a call that i could pick it up like 14 months later

Morning_Star September 17th, 2008 1:27 pm

I love the Artemis Fowl books!
I just read Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox, it was fantastic. The only problem with it is that I don't like time paradoxes, they're so confusing...

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 17th, 2008 9:46 pm

:rotfl: i know what you mean. Actually the entire book is a total time paradox

if Artemis took the monkey, that would mean that the younger artemis would know about fairies far earlier, i think. Either way, if it was "real" my guess would be that Artemis would know exactly what had happened anyways.

Morning_Star September 19th, 2008 5:27 pm

Yes, it is.

And I think that if Artemis hadn't gone back in time, he would never found out about fairies either. At the end of the book, ten-year-old Artemis thinks he had a dream about fairies. We know it wasn't a dream, but I think that lead him to discovering the People. I believe (correct me if I'm Wrong) that Artemis was 12 when he captured Holly Short, and two years would be about how much time he would need to get enough information about the People to capture one of them. Thinking about this made me even more confusing, but I think I understand it ;)

Voldemorts8thHorcrux September 19th, 2008 8:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morning_Star (Post 5141661)
Yes, it is.

And I think that if Artemis hadn't gone back in time, he would never found out about fairies either. At the end of the book, ten-year-old Artemis thinks he had a dream about fairies. We know it wasn't a dream, but I think that lead him to discovering the People. I believe (correct me if I'm Wrong) that Artemis was 12 when he captured Holly Short, and two years would be about how much time he would need to get enough information about the People to capture one of them. Thinking about this made me even more confusing, but I think I understand it ;)

maybe that part isn't a time paradox...but I just have a feeling that something else is....what about mulch?