Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Artemis Fowl Thread (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=92990)

freelantzer August 5th, 2006 6:16 am

Re: Artemis Fowl Thread

I love this series, but I think the first Artemis Fowl will always be my favorite one. It was just so clever and fresh. I love how there was not really a clear protagonist or antagonist--I was rooting for both Artemis and Holly! And Eoin Colfer paid that off spectacularly at the end. Great series! :tu:

silverstarz August 5th, 2006 7:32 am

I love Artemis
and Butler
I love all of the books!
Yay, I didn't know there was gonna be a 5th book!
:love:

arshia August 5th, 2006 1:15 pm

i`ve read the first two
n yes the series are different and very interesting:love:

shokoofehs August 6th, 2006 4:31 am

:upset:
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateGirl
Well, I've just read the book!! :D
I'm not going to say anything to spoil it for anyone hasn't read it though. It was released yesterday in the bookshop my sister works in. I'm not going to say anything... but I really want to! :lol:

OMG!! I can't believe that u have actually met Eoin Colfer and I'm sooooo jealous that u have already read the book when I have to wait till september.:sigh:

deathplce4myhed August 9th, 2006 4:40 am

I'm rereading the books(cus I am tired of Harry Potter:scared: ) well I reread the fourth one cus I couldn't remember it, and then the third and now I'm on the second, not sure if I'm gunna reread the first though(haven't read the new one yet), and now I remember how much I dislike Holly, in the third one and fourth shes okay, but I don't like her in the second, I will say that the only reason I didn't stop reading the books before was cus of Mulch, he's just about the only good character, Butler is too, but I think Mulch is the best:D but it takes forevewr for him to come into this one I forgot most of the book I read it so long ago, thats the only reason I'm actually finishing it, other then that the books are good:D

Emi August 24th, 2006 10:50 pm

My copy of The Lost Colony came on Tuesday! It was as addictive as the previous books - I finished it the first night. The second night I translated the code. *Geek* :p I was a bit dubious about the demons before I read it, but the main demon character turned out to be one of my favourites. Overall, it was a very good book.

Ending spoiler coming up.
Spoiler: show
The ending gave me the impression that this might have been the last book - Butler has settled down in a little village, Artemis has two young siblings and a likely girlfriend, Holly is returning to her PI business... Of course this doesn't definitely mean that there won't be another book. But it will at least mean that things will change.

Since I've already translated it, if anyone wants me to post what the code along the bottom of the pages says, I will. But personally I think it's fun to work it out oneself.

sjcuk13 August 25th, 2006 1:14 pm

I think they will ba anoth book we have to find out Artemis's parents reactoons to ... well everything.

I also think that we need to find out about:
the twins we dont even know there names or wheter they are male or female (i recont it will be one of each)
also Artemis will have to become a lot more cleverer as he has to hid this from everyone
And how will holly ever live wiht out him?

Emi August 25th, 2006 4:03 pm

This is what the code in The Lost Colony says (with some added punctuation):

"The demon scrolls tell of a warlock who will come to save our people, but I wouldn't rely too much on the scrolls. They also say that rabbits are the supreme beings and that the best cure for a sore throat is a poultice of dung and old socks. Hence trust the scrolls at your peril. There are, however, a few tips for survival in a demon tribe that might be helpful if you were a human, say, and had never actually met a demon before, which is unlikely to say the least. If you were human you wouldn't be able to read this in the first place.
So. Demon survival tips.
First, never stab a demon with his own sword. This is the ultimate insult and will result in a vendetta that could go on for generations. It is fine to stab a demon with your own sword; he will congratulate you for managing that, but only poor warriors lose their swords and then get stabbed with them. If the opportunity arises, give it a miss.
Demons have a pretty comprehensive system of sign language, in which buttock slapping features heavily. It is very important not to slap the wrong buttock. Never slap someone else's buttock unless they stab you with your own sword; that is considered very bad manners. And learn the difference between the left buttock slap and the right buttock slap. If a passerby aims his buttock at you and slaps the left one, it means that there is a full moon due that evening and he hopes you will join him for the traditional hunt. If he slaps his right buttock, it simply means that you remind him of his right buttock.
Finally, Never sneeze into your fist. Always allow the sneeze to run free into the air. Medical demons assure us that the sneeze comprises of millions of tiny flying demons that zoom around the Earth until they can find a human to land in. When they alight on their host humans, they hack into their scalps with tiny axes, causing terrible headaches, which make the humans easy to defeat in battle. So when a demon sneezes, immediately slap your right buttock in the direction of the sneeze so that the tiny demons can pass on the message to the human they land in."

:scared: Sometimes I am a little concerned for Mr. Colfer's sanity. :p

sjcuk13 August 25th, 2006 6:13 pm

:lol: I think I will join you on the very concerned for his sanity:lol:

dragontamergirl August 26th, 2006 7:00 am

sjcuk13 said there will probably be another book because of his parents reaction to his "escavades." However I disagree. No one said his parents had to know about his adventures. They might not even believe him anyway. Although I want to see The Lost Colony and read it I'm not sure what the point is. To me the whole series has been about Artemis Fowl (sadly) becoming a good person and not a selfish one. Not about his grand adventures.

nemetoad August 26th, 2006 8:34 am

I'm half excited about this new book. I loved the first three, but the fourth one was kind of lacking in my opinion. I hope Colfer gets his act together and makes this fifth one as good as the first three!

ADnotdead777 August 26th, 2006 1:14 pm

WEEEEEEE!!!! I :love: Artemis Fowl!!!! My favorite scene is the incedent with the trolls in the abandoned theme park.:elaugh:

darkchild August 27th, 2006 3:23 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemetoad
I'm half excited about this new book. I loved the first three, but the fourth one was kind of lacking in my opinion. I hope Colfer gets his act together and makes this fifth one as good as the first three!

This is exactly how I felt when I found out about the fifth book. I thought The Opal Deception was huge disappointment (he could've done so much with it:sigh:) , and I had my doubts about this whole demon thing, not to mention the Mary-Sue-resembling character:scared:.

However, now I've read it (finished it last night) and I love it. The demons were great, Mary-Sue was not a Mary-Sue (in my opinion that is, although I still don't like her real name) and the overall story was just so much better this time.

Favourite part:
Chapter seven in general and "we are the chocolate fairies" bit in particular. Why? Cause it was funny!

Favourite new character:
Doodah Day (how can you not like someone called Doodah Day?)

And there will be at least one more book after this one, probably two, Eoin has said so in interviews.

sjcuk13 August 28th, 2006 12:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragontamergirl
sjcuk13 said there will probably be another book because of his parents reaction to his "escavades." However I disagree. No one said his parents had to know about his adventures. They might not even believe him anyway. Although I want to see The Lost Colony and read it I'm not sure what the point is. To me the whole series has been about Artemis Fowl (sadly) becoming a good person and not a selfish one. Not about his grand adventures.

I agree that the books are about Artemis becoming a good person however his parents need an explanation about
where he had been for the last 3 years
this is why I think we need another book plus we have to see what holly's life is like after this.

KarateGirl August 28th, 2006 5:51 pm

Here's something I wondered at the end of the new book...
Is Artemis now 14 years old but in the future, has he actually aged at all? Or has he aged and is now nearly 18? Because there was no recollection of him feeling any different, such as being taller or anything. So I'm wondering, has he aged or not through the time tunnel-thingy into the future?
:)

darkchild August 30th, 2006 1:10 pm

As I understand it, his body/soul/mind hasn't aged at all but he is, nevertheless, about to turn eighteen.

Books_4_eva August 30th, 2006 1:32 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateGirl
Here's something I wondered at the end of the new book...
Is Artemis now 14 years old but in the future, has he actually aged at all? Or has he aged and is now nearly 18? Because there was no recollection of him feeling any different, such as being taller or anything. So I'm wondering, has he aged or not through the time tunnel-thingy into the future?
:)

as I understand it he himself has only aged a day in the tunel, where as three years has pased on earth. So he can't exatly be 18.

KarateGirl August 30th, 2006 5:57 pm

Hmm, confusing!! :lol:

sjcuk13 August 30th, 2006 7:14 pm

I think that the world at large would view Artemis as being 18 but Artemis himself will be/is still 14 and this might be where he meets his match :lol:

darkchild September 1st, 2006 9:28 pm

Speaking of meeting one's match, one character a really missed (cause he is my favourite) was Trouble (I mean, he could at least have been mentioned!). I think he and Holly would make a great couple, and I read somewhere Colfer thought so too, but it wouldn't last, they were too alike.
Now, what about Minerva and Artemis, could you be more alike? Bearing what Colfer said about Holly and Trouble in mind, do you think they will get together and then break up, not get together at all or will they live "happily ever after" all the same?