Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   How/why will Harry leave Privet Drive this time? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=16539)

gingerbookworm January 13th, 2005 2:40 pm

Yeah I have a feeling it will be to go to Grimauld Place. But then again, although he will be with people he knows, it's Headquarters for the Order and he won't be included in what they are doing. Maybe it is more likely that he is just allowed to go to the Weasleys after his mandatory week in Privet Drive. Then he won't just be with people he knows, he'll be with his friends and people who are more like a family to him than any other people he knows. However the way JKR said that he wouldn't be there long made it seem like there was more to it than going to the Burrow again...

jenny_d_b January 13th, 2005 2:49 pm

Someone asked on the JK webpage if the reason that Harry would leave the Dursleys early would be because he was going to court again, but JK replied that he would leave for a lot more pleasant reason. That means that the Grangers most probably won't get attacked.

gingerbookworm January 13th, 2005 2:49 pm

Just saw that someone alse said that he will probably leave after he gets his OWLS results but I think he will be away by then. They have always been able to send owls to him in the past when he wasn't at privet drive so I'm sure they will know where he is if he leaves before. I think he will just be there for a week. He knows that's all he needs to do and I doubt he would want to stay any longer. Vernon and Petunia know that he has friends who are allowed to use magic even though he is not. I think his meeting with Madeye at the end of OotP will be enough for him to let him go anywhere as well as the fact that they don't want him in the house anyway! Especially after the Dementors almost killed their son!
:shrug:

avbearcat85 January 13th, 2005 3:02 pm

im not sure what i think the reason will be. maybe they just want to get him out before the dursleys can make him feel like ****. i don't think there will be a celabration that they come and get him for. JKR says it will be for a happier reason than a court date, that could be just getting out.

LexiBlack January 13th, 2005 8:25 pm

I don't really think anything "chaotic" will force Harry from Privet Drive, like in the past years. I suspect that the order will come and get him a few weeks after he is there. I don't think that anyone will want Harry to be alone with the Dursleys for an extended period of time after what happened with Sirius and all.

DumblysArmy January 13th, 2005 9:08 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexiBlack
I don't really think anything "chaotic" will force Harry from Privet Drive, like in the past years. I suspect that the order will come and get him a few weeks after he is there. I don't think that anyone will want Harry to be alone with the Dursleys for an extended period of time after what happened with Sirius and all.

I agree, perhaps he'll be going away for special DADA training. But we know he won't be allowed to go anywhere unless he's well protected. Dumbledore will make sure of that.

Fawkesified January 13th, 2005 9:12 pm

This is probably a very different opinion from everyone else's but personally, I really like the beginnings of the books right from Harry's birthday (usually the very beginning) until he gets to Hogwarts. Of course I love all of the books but that is always one of the highlights. I hope Jo takes a long time to describe his stay at the Dursleys though.

hollygo72 January 13th, 2005 9:22 pm

Hmmm...the stay will be short but VERY eventful. I think Harry and Petunia will finally "have it out". They'll probably have a huge fight; but Petunia will finally give Harry some valuable information about his parents.

He'll probably find something out that causes him to seek out more information - at Spinner's End.

PadfootWhispers January 13th, 2005 9:55 pm

I'm thinking about what happened in OotP, with the dementors coming to Privet Drive for the first time. Perhaps a Death Eater will pay Harry a visit? Or even Voldemort himself, because now that he's overcome the inability to touch Harry, why not just storm up to his house? Either that or we may, at long last, find out about Hermione's family (a visit to her place with Ron, instead of Harry and Hermione going to Ron's?)

aragorn_iz_cool January 14th, 2005 1:01 am

Quote:

Yeah, I could almost go for that. Except that JKR said it would be for a "pleasant reason" and I do not think that Harry would in any way, shape, or form consider being forced to hang out with Snape "pleasant!" Now for some of the sevages on the Snape-loving threads of this forum, that may be the case, but never for Harry.
Well, getting tutored by Snape isn't happy, but being able to get into NEWT potions is. Also, I believe she didn't say that it was plesent, just more plesent then a hearing. I think it would be more plesent then a hearing.

hgrwfan January 14th, 2005 1:11 am

Maybe the Dursley's finally got smart and voluntarily decided to let Harry go to Ron's for the summer. I always thought it was a bit dumb of them not to have suggested for Harry to spend the summer at a friends....any friend if they really wanted to be rid of him that much.....I guess the desire to make him suffer is greater than the joy and pleasure they would get in not having him around.

On the other hand....I think Bill may get married so he will go to the Burrow for a wedding. Didn't Jo say that he leaves for a good reason this time?

haha January 14th, 2005 1:22 am

Quote:

Yeah, I could almost go for that. Except that JKR said it would be for a "pleasant reason" and I do not think that Harry would in any way, shape, or form consider being forced to hang out with Snape "pleasant!" Now for some of the sevages on the Snape-loving threads of this forum, that may be the case, but never for Harry.
Yeah, I'd have to agree that in Harry's point of view learning more potions in his holiday is probably not pleasant. And i doubt Snape would consider it pleasant either :p

Quote:

Didn't Jo say that he leaves for a good reason this time?
She said that Harry would leave for a "more pleasant" reason than a court case.

ickle_ronniekins January 14th, 2005 7:48 pm

harry could easily find some mode of transportation from privet drive. he could easily use floo powder, or even fly on his broomstick. there are a number of different ways that he can leave. maybe he will leave to join the order, after all, he has survived voldemort what five or six times already? whose to say they wont let him in the order.

BrAinPaiNt January 14th, 2005 8:14 pm

My bet is that he goes to Grimmauld Palace for one or more of the following reasons:

He got a good deal of OWLS and they celebrate and possibly have to set it up for their next classes as I did not hear any mention of next years classes, since they don't know if they passed owls in the subjects.

He is given Grimmauld Palace as part of Sirius' will, if he had one.

He goes there to get a head start with Ron and Herms in some EXTRA defense against the dark arts training before school....which would also help them teach the other students in the DA later.

They receive training in order to become part of the OOTP, since they, with Neville and Luna, actually fought the death eaters already in the MoM. Maybe they make them official members of the OOTP.

Maybe he goes to Grimmauld palace as part of a celebration for Fred and George for doing great business in their Joke Shop.

What ever it is we know it is under pleasant situations as I think that is along the lines of what JKR said.

clkginny January 14th, 2005 9:42 pm

I'm not sure that under the circumstances that Harry would enjoy going to 12 Grimmauld Place. Besides, we aren't sure that Harry will inherit it. I think that he will get to go where ever the Weasleys are, because that seems to be where he is happiest at.

GinnyPotter101 January 14th, 2005 9:44 pm

HArry's Birthday? The Weasleys, DD and Hermione (and the order) probably feel bad for harry.. his godfather JUST died...so theyll want to be with him on his birthday! itll be his best yet!!

PadfootWhispers January 14th, 2005 10:07 pm

Quote:

Besides, we aren't sure that Harry will inherit it.
Agreed. I would be amazed if Sirius had a will written out at the time... It's not as if he was EXPECTING to die.... *tear*

DumblysArmy January 14th, 2005 10:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinnyPotter101
HArry's Birthday? The Weasleys, DD and Hermione (and the order) probably feel bad for harry.. his godfather JUST died...so theyll want to be with him on his birthday! itll be his best yet!!

Good idea, it would be Harrys first proper Birthday Party. They should have Fred and George plan it, It'd be right up their alley.
:birthday:

Mountainforest January 14th, 2005 10:28 pm

Let's combine some information we got:
  1. Rowling wanted to use the first chapter of book 6 before, but she says it finally fits
  2. Harry will have the shortest stay with the dursleys till yet, so he will probably leave the first chapter

This means that leaving the dursleys can't have anything to do with 'recent events' in book 6 (in that case she wouldn't be able to use the chapter before).

Rowling also said it would be a nice reason harry has to leave the dursleys. We have to search in the corner of special events that could happen in any book, like the Quiditch world cup was.

Katarzyna January 14th, 2005 10:30 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auror77
What I mean is, how you think Harry will get back to the wizarding wrld?

An owl from the Ministry of Magic will arrive at the Dursles, informing Harry he inheirited all of Sirius' belongings. Harry goes to Spinners End to go through them all, and finds the flying motorcycle.

kem January 14th, 2005 10:34 pm

Just had a really funny thought related to this thread - What would happen if the Dursleys did not want harry to go, lets say that they questioned him on his return from school about, how does Uncle Vernon describe him -oh yes- Lord Voldething's return? I imagine that this would happen due to last years events in Little Whinging. And say (now this is far fetched but go with me) that the Dursleys become terrified of an attack on themselves so they demand that Harry stays with them, to protect them. Therefore Harry is delighted to leave them because I'm sure he would take great delight in telling them NO WAY!!

basilth January 14th, 2005 10:36 pm

maybe voldemort will bake him cupcakes and invite him over for tea. :rolleyes:

PadfootWhispers January 14th, 2005 10:37 pm

aaaw how sweet =) lol

hollygo72 January 14th, 2005 11:08 pm

Quote:

Let's combine some information we got:

Rowling wanted to use the first chapter of book 6 before, but she says it finally fits
Harry will have the shortest stay with the dursleys till yet, so he will probably leave the first chapter

This means that leaving the dursleys can't have anything to do with 'recent events' in book 6 (in that case she wouldn't be able to use the chapter before).

Rowling also said it would be a nice reason harry has to leave the dursleys. We have to search in the corner of special events that could happen in any book, like the Quiditch world cup was.
Actually, I think the chapter she is referring to is a flashback. Chapter 2 will probably involve present day and the Dursley's.

haha January 15th, 2005 5:47 am

Quote:

harry could easily find some mode of transportation from privet drive. he could easily use floo powder, or even fly on his broomstick. there are a number of different ways that he can leave.
Yes, but they'd be concerned about which mode of transport is the safest way to travel, what with LV on the loose.

gingerbookworm January 15th, 2005 10:33 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollygo72
Actually, I think the chapter she is referring to is a flashback. Chapter 2 will probably involve present day and the Dursley's.

I agree with this. I have a feeling it will be a flashback to Dumbledores defeat of Grindewald or to the founders of Hogwarts. In those two time periods there is a lot we don't know about and I am certain we are going to learn more about. Maybe the quote from JKR's website -
Quote:

He looked rather like an old lion...
will be part of the flashback.

On why Harry will leave - I'm still convinced he will leave after a week as that is all he needs to stay for to keep the charm working. He will be safer somewhere else with other wizards (the Burrow, Grimauld Place etc) than he will be in Privet Drive as there is no one there to protect him and Dementors have already found their way there. I don't know what the reason will be but extra defence against the Dark Arts sounds good. Maybe all students will be given the oppertunity to go to Hogwarts early for training.

I don't think he will leave on his own, someone will come for him.

As an aside, what month/date does Hogwarts finish for summer and start again after summer?

moonlite January 15th, 2005 11:01 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbookworm
I agree with this. I have a feeling it will be a flashback to Dumbledores defeat of Grindewald or to the founders of Hogwarts.

But how would Harry be able to see Dumbledore defeating Grindelward? Well, I guess it could be possible if he jumps into Dumbledore's pensieve again, but I doubt it. And how would this be crucial to the overall plot?

Mae January 15th, 2005 11:15 am

dont think voldie (or jo) is rash enough to do something like blow up the grangers that early on in the book. jo likes slow beginnings, if u guys havent noticed. theres always a hot, sleepy quality to the first chapter (2nd for SS/PS and GoF). nah, i think this time the reason will be more pleasant. perhaps a another stay in the burrow or in diagon alley. or maybe he and petunia will have a talk (they ought to by now. dumbledore, im sure, will have already informed petunia about voldie and black) which will lead to something. OR since chapter 2 is called "spinners end" in which "spinners" has NO apostrophe, he will go to a PLACE called spinners end (perhaps a street like grimmauld place).

PadfootWhispers January 15th, 2005 6:35 pm

Quote:

dont think voldie (or jo) is rash enough to do something like blow up the grangers that early on in the book. jo likes slow beginnings, if u guys havent noticed. theres always a hot, sleepy quality to the first chapter (2nd for SS/PS and GoF)
Exactly why she should start HBP off with a bang! Hehe, it would keep us on our toes, wouldn't it? :)

LilCubanita67 January 15th, 2005 9:04 pm

Harry will definately leave Privet Drive during book 6 for good reasons, because JKR said so.

And I'm sticking firm with my theory that Harry will leave because of his OWL's results:
Quote:

"An owl will be sent to you some time in July," said Professor McGonnagal.

Harry imagined sitting in his bedroom in Privet Drive in six weeks' time, waiting for his O.W.L. results. Well, he thought dully, at least he would be sure of one bit of post next summer...(OotP-ch.31)
Maybe there will be something about his OWL's results that would let him go to Hogwarts early.

PadfootWhispers January 16th, 2005 2:13 am

Maybe. But what about his OWLs? That they were dreadful? Or that they were perfect? Hmm.....

haha January 16th, 2005 10:43 am

Quote:

Maybe. But what about his OWLs? That they were dreadful? Or that they were perfect? Hmm.....
Even if they were either i can't see any reason why he should go back before everyone else, unless of course he was getting trained for the war at school while everyone else was gone...although i can't see that as a really 'pleasant' reason especially if Professor Snape is involved. I admit, though, that Harry likes school a lot better than he likes his aunt and uncle's house.

sere35 January 16th, 2005 9:07 pm

She did not say a good or happy reason. She said more pleasant. Something horrible can be more pleasant than a trial where he could get kicked out of school.

sirius_gerl January 17th, 2005 12:53 am

Hmm...Probably anything that will blow his head. (figure of speach:P) How much more uncalled for visits can there be? Or, what other secrets are going on behind Harry's back that will cause him to go on a rampage to Ron's house? hmm..you've got me thinking now. What else COULD happen?

gingerbookworm January 17th, 2005 3:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonlite
But how would Harry be able to see Dumbledore defeating Grindelward? Well, I guess it could be possible if he jumps into Dumbledore's pensieve again, but I doubt it. And how would this be crucial to the overall plot?

I didn't say that Harry would see it. After all he can only see what was happening with Voldemort bacause they are connected. It works both ways. However, I meant that that could be how the book starts. with us seeing it. Maybe Dumbledore tells Harry or them all, maybe he doesn't tell them till a few chapters into the book when Harry has left privet drive. Maybe it is never mentioned at all.

I don't know what the relevence would be to the whole plot but he is mentioned in passing often enough that you would think we might learn more about it. Maybe the way Dumble doe defeated Grindewald will be how Harry can vanquish Voldemort. Note how I don't say kill. I don't think it has ever directly said kill in the books. That is probably for a reason.

Aebhel January 17th, 2005 3:35 pm

"-and either must die at the hands of the other, for neither can live while the other survives."

Yep, there's gonna be death involved. Poor Harry.

gingerbookworm January 17th, 2005 3:50 pm

oh yeah. Thanks. I knew that lol.

I remember where my thinking came from though as ages ago I discussed with people my thoughts that 'die' could mean that Voldemort dies but Tom Riddel lives. Tom Ridel took on a new identity when he chose to become Voldemort. He also took those measures to prevent him dying which at the same time distorted him physically so he became completely unrecognisable as Tom Riddel. Prophecies speak in such a way that you need to interperet everything it says and not take it at face value. Still, Tom Riddel wasn't a nice character either.

I also thought that it could just refer to him losing all power and magical ability thus taking away his identity...

Of course it could just mean die! :p

Aebhel January 17th, 2005 4:40 pm

True...but I kind of think that Harry's going to have to finish him off for good. I don't think LV and Tom Riddle are really different people any more than someone is a different person after they get plastic surgury, or something. LV looks different, he has different abilities, but deep down inside, he is Tom Riddle. Not, as you said, that that's particularly comforting.

Actually, I think it would be tremendously entertaining if everything ended up depending on Neville, but that's just me. I doubt we'll find out the true meaning of the prophesy until the very end of the 7th book.

siriussbike January 17th, 2005 5:47 pm

Maybe he'll be asked to play for the English Quidditch national team. I mean, if Krum started playing in his sixth year at school (because he was already a star by the beggining of his seventh year), why not Harry??? I mean, JKR did say it was going to be pleasent

Godric16 January 17th, 2005 6:45 pm

I Think he will be taken to Hogwarts and may spend the summer, around the castle. We never know he might something important such as a particular painting, although i doubt it.
Personally my strongest instinct is he will be allowed to go to the Burrow or 12 Grimmauld place to while away the time, but he will have to spend some time at No. 4 for the protection against Dumbledore.

Though it might be something completely unexpected like taken to the MoM to take the Apparition test a full year early afterall he does need to get out of places faster than most and Apparition would aid him in this.

gingerbookworm January 18th, 2005 2:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by siriussbike
Maybe he'll be asked to play for the English Quidditch national team. I mean, if Krum started playing in his sixth year at school (because he was already a star by the beggining of his seventh year), why not Harry??? I mean, JKR did say it was going to be pleasent

That sounds great. Would like that. But there hasn't been any hint towards it and that might not be the priority on peoples minds now Voldemort is back. But then again they might encourage him to do something relaxing or enjoyable to take his mind off it...

Hedwig50 January 18th, 2005 10:05 pm

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that he might leave for a wedding. Maybe instead of one of the Weasleys, its Hagrid and Maxine.

Artemis Tyo January 18th, 2005 10:08 pm

OOOOOORRR. It could be Dudley's gastric distress. :lol: :lol: :evil:

hgrwfan January 19th, 2005 5:37 pm

We know that JK tells us clues that she doesn't think that we could possibly guess the outcome. Perhaps we should consider that the Dursley's actually take a real vacation and take Harry with them. This would fall in line with what Jk said about this being his shortest stay and leaving for a happier reason. Harry would be pleased to go on a actually vacation as I don't think he's ever mentioned being on vacation. I am sure the Dursley's will try to leave him with Ms. Figg but maybe she happened to be away on Order business so she couldn't take him. Just my opinion thought......what do you think.

Artemis Tyo January 19th, 2005 6:30 pm

Mmm. Doubtful, besides, Harry needs to not only be with the Dursleys but in their house, thats the only way he's safe from ol' Voldy. Its like in Buffy and Angel, a vampire can not enter a mortals home unless invited. Vampire=Voldimort, home=Privit Drive.

dandesav January 19th, 2005 11:22 pm

JKR has said it will be for quite a pleasant reason that Harry leaves Privet Drive. I think it might be Apparation lessons- we know they can't Apparate/Disapparate in Hogwarts so they would have to do it in the Summer. We also know that he will leave quite soon so that is where chapter 6, Draco's Detour comes in. Maybe he gets lost during his lessons and up in Grimmauld Place (presuming it's still the HQ of the Order- which is unlikely seeing as Sirius is dead and Bellatrix will probably, unfortunately, inherite [spelling?] the house), the Grangers' house or somewhere else!

Or perhaps he will visit Hermione's house and then we will finally find out where it is, maybe he will visit the Weasleys again, go back to Grimmauld Place (or wherever they are now- see above!) :eyebrows:

BluecanaryLite January 19th, 2005 11:36 pm

Maybe everyone will decide to throw Harry a birthday party at the Burrow or at Grimmauld Place (although that place would not hold happy memories for Harry) for his birthday. He's never left the Dursley's before his birthday before.

And I'm sure everyone will be wanting to cheer Harry up and make him feel wanted.

GinnyPotter101 January 20th, 2005 1:53 am

HEY I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING ok so first i think Harry will leave for a celebration (at the weasleys or somewhere) thinking it is his owls which will arrive on the 29th or 30th and then he will get an owl from the Weasleys telling him they are having a party (dd just told us about your results! we were thrilled we got the same ...or whatever) but the party will really be for his BIRTHDAY... the best birthday ever!
Anyway i have a new idea as to how Harry's mirror can be useful.... what if Grimmauld Place is inherited by the Malfoy's could Harry say their name into the mirror and look at what is going on at Grimmauld Place, who would destroy a perfectly good mirror just sitting there? Would Harry be able to hide behind the edged of the mirror like Phineaus or would the Malfoys see him? I know that wasnt supposed to go on this thread but OH WELL SORRY

runitsandrew January 20th, 2005 2:01 am

Hmmm... Good thread topic! Well, the only reason he needs to go there in the first place is for protection. I think (and hope) he's getting out of Privet Drive quickly this year is so he can go to Ron's house (with Hermione) and get to stay there and have some fun to get him to kind of lay back from Sirius' death before term starts. I think they'll go to the Diagon Alley and enjoy themselves. That'd be fun.

Also, maybe it's not only Harry who has to leave Privet Drive quickly, but all of the Dursley's. Something tells me that there'll be an attack on them - no matter how much I hope it doesn't happen. So, maybe, they all have to leave because they're house'll be destroyed or some other tragidy.

haha January 20th, 2005 5:53 am

Quote:

She did not say a good or happy reason. She said more pleasant. Something horrible can be more pleasant than a trial where he could get kicked out of school.
I've thought of this too BUT the trial scared him to bits and threatened to expel him from Hogwarts, and probably would have without DD intervention. Personally, I can't think of something that's horrible but would at the same time be more pleasant than that, can you :huh:

gingerbookworm January 20th, 2005 2:29 pm

Ok, I think that Apparation lessons is the most logical reason but that would need to come after his birthday yes? Do you need to be a certain age or year? So I think he will leave before his birthday as well. Maybe he leaves for the reason of the lessons but goes to stay at the Burrow as Arthur is able to take him wherever he needs to be and he can spend the rest of his time enjoying the company of his two best friends, seeing what fred and george are up to ... If he does go to the Burrow I'm Sure Molly will make a big special meal for them if they all passed, which I'm sure they have - Hermione top class I bet!
:)

JaceAlucard January 20th, 2005 5:41 pm

I thought you had to be 17 to learn to apparate and Harry will be celebrating his 16th birthday at the beginning of HBP.

Meldy January 21st, 2005 12:33 am

Quote:

Maybe everyone will decide to throw Harry a birthday party at the Burrow or at Grimmauld Place (although that place would not hold happy memories for Harry) for his birthday. He's never left the Dursley's before his birthday before.
And I'm sure everyone will be wanting to cheer Harry up and make him feel wanted.
I really like that theory. Harry will be very depressed because of Sirius... and they can cheer him up. That´s original because he has never celebrate his birthday and he really needs his friends now, after hearing about the prophecy and everything else.
Poor Harry.

DHH January 21st, 2005 1:38 am

I agree that where a wizard is supposed to learn how to apparate has always been a hole in the story that has bothered me. I also think dandesav's interpretation of Detour makes so much sense, that I can't believe I didn't see it before. For the record, the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) defines Detour only as a deviation from a direct road -- 10 points to dandesav! However, there is a problem Harry learning apparation this summer. As many have pointed out, Harry will be sixteen, not seventeen. In addition, considering the Ministry previous reaction of Harry's use of magic, it just doesn't make sense that there was a loop-hole for apparition. I wonder if maybe Madam Hooch teaches apparition. After all, it never made sense that they needed a special teacher to teach first years how to ride a broom. It seems that riding a broom is the wizard equivalent of riding a bike. I imagine that every teacher at Hogwarts can ride a broom. Therefore, I always thought that Madam Hooch's speciality was magical modes of transportation: portkeys, apparition, and brooms. In OoP, Lupin to his inability to use a portkey is because of Ministry control over a portkey. He seemed to talk about the Portus charm as a charm most wizards could do. Secondly, Sirius said that he ran away from his home and stayed at the Potter's all summer when he was sixteen. Ostensibly, Harry will have to learn how to apparate this year, it doesn't seem so likely that Harry will learn it outside of school. Lastly, since we know that HBP will be about the length of Oop, and if we exclude the chapters of OoP that are because of the Hearing, then chapter Six will been around the time they board the train to Hogwarts (or possibly after they have arrived at Hogwarts)

SnapeLova January 21st, 2005 1:40 am

ok i think that the reason that harry would leave is that petunia will reveal some information she has been keeping secret from harry and herself too...she will reveal something about his mother...if you remember in ootp when she recieved the howler she let off the idea that she may know more than anyone thought about the wizarding world. i think she may send harry off to talk to someone that may have been close to lily...like maybe one of thier aunts or cousins that had a touch of magic in thier blood too....or even just a friend from hogwarts lily may have confided in before going into hiding...either way i think we will learn more about lily in this book.

-snapelova

Devera January 21st, 2005 2:15 am

I'm trying to think out of the box here, but the best I can come up with is what has already been said--some sort of party to cheer Harry up. I bet the Weasleys come to pick him up--maybe Ginny and Ron this year?

Evansgirl January 21st, 2005 2:29 am

Love the idea of a birthday party for Harry!

DHH January 21st, 2005 9:12 pm

J.K. Rowling said that the sixth book would be the shortest stay at Privet Drive. The birthday idea makes a good deal of sense. However, if we count Harry "stay" at Privet Drive in the first book to be the only the summer, it doesn't work. Just something to keep in mind.

pottergirl28 January 21st, 2005 10:57 pm

The Quidditch World Cup again? Hermione's house?

Cheri January 22nd, 2005 9:01 am

I think he will leave simply be because he needs to be close to the Order- I have a feeling they will be including him more now that Dumbly has gotten over his whole protection phase. Harry is at the point where he can help the Order more by knowing what is going on, than by being in the dark.

Check out my editorial! It has some stuff included in there about how Harry has to leave the Dursley's to continue his Occlumency lessons formally. It is in the Mugglenet editorial archives and is titled, Occlumency Still has a Part to Play by Cheri Mathieu :eyebrows:

Dana_Scully January 22nd, 2005 1:46 pm

Yeah, I like the idea of a party and that would kind of fit with the information JKR gave out a while ago about the chapter names. I posted a theory on Veritaserum a while ago about my belief that 'Spinner's End' refers to either a village or possibly a cottage, something like that...and I thought that maybe it was the cottage that Sirius bought with his uncle's money. If they were to arrange something like an Irish wake for Sirius, it's conceivable that it might take place in 'Spinner's End' and that's why Harry would need to leave Privet Drive.

I think they need to have some kind of a proper send off for our dear departed Sirius and a party would be very appropriate, considering his personality and the way he died; saving others. I once read a fanfic that described a 'Thanking ceremony' which I thought was a lovely idea...all the people who loved the person who died gathering together and kind of 'channelling' their good thoughts and thanks for everything that the dead person had done for them into growing a tree and the bigger the tree, the larger the testiment to that person's life. I loved that idea...so much less morbid than the usual funerals and memorials. Something fitting to Sirius.

Fred Black January 22nd, 2005 2:18 pm

I don't think he would be driven out of Privet drive again as he only has to stay there ashort while like a week or two. If any bad things happen he can use his wand as now the World knows the "truth" but also his family won't give him a hard time as they know about the Order and what will happen to them.

Kopannie January 22nd, 2005 6:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheri
I think he will leave simply be because he needs to be close to the Order- I have a feeling they will be including him more now that Dumbly has gotten over his whole protection phase. Harry is at the point where he can help the Order more by knowing what is going on, than by being in the dark.

See, this makes alot of sense. I know that Harry hates being left out of the loop because he has done and seen so much. Maybe the adults in his life will finally see this????

Wab January 22nd, 2005 6:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHH
J.K. Rowling said that the sixth book would be the shortest stay at Privet Drive.

Perhaps with the reappearance of V confirmed DD decides to leave a guard of the order at Privet Drive. That alone would be enough for Vernon to chuck him out after about a week.

haha January 23rd, 2005 12:16 am

Quote:

The Quidditch World Cup again?
I don't know if jk would be repetitive like that. Since she's already placed that in she might not do it again. I don't know if this has been mentioned, but what about Harry meeting his grandparents, his maternal ones.

Flawkes January 23rd, 2005 3:52 am

I think Hagrid should pick up Harry on his chopper! Or even better, give the chopper to Harry as a present!

Firebolt2004 January 23rd, 2005 3:54 am

Some happy occasion. Maybe Bill and Fleur's wedding?

i_heart_ron January 23rd, 2005 9:01 am

jk said that harry will be leaving pd in b6 because of some thing good. :cool:

chochangrulz January 23rd, 2005 2:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_heart_ron
jk said that harry will be leaving pd in b6 because of some thing good. :cool:

I think someone in the order will come and get him, either that or maybe meet his grandparents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flawkes
I think Hagrid should pick up Harry on his chopper! Or even better, give the chopper to Harry as a present!

Thats a good idea, but didnt Hagrid lose his chopper?( Im not exactly sure)

Flawkes January 23rd, 2005 3:02 pm

Good question! Cant remember! Im actually going to read the books over again! I think he does though...

chochangrulz January 23rd, 2005 3:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wab
Perhaps with the reappearance of V confirmed DD decides to leave a guard of the order at Privet Drive. That alone would be enough for Vernon to chuck him out after about a week.

I thought JKR said he would be leaving because of something good?( That was not inteneded to be offensive-sorry if it was)

Wab January 23rd, 2005 3:11 pm

Having a couple of aurors round to annoy Vernon would be good as far as Harry is concerned.

ChiChi January 23rd, 2005 3:46 pm

I think he will leave to be with his friends.

Egla January 24th, 2005 1:52 am

A birthday party maybe? It would be his first and becoming 16 is somehwat special.

JKR mentioned that Harry would leave privet drive for a much happier reason than a trial.

spacecase January 24th, 2005 1:54 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egla
A birthday party maybe? It would be his first and becoming 16 is somehwat special.

I think that this is completely plausible. Maybe it'll be his happiest birthday yet. The rest of them, the best that he could do was open presents from his friends. Maybe they'll have a big party for him at the Burrow. That would be so great. And then he'd get to stay in the wizarding world for a whole extra month.

He's also supposed to get his O.W.L.S. results back (which I really want to know how he did). Maybe it'll be some good news from that?

gingerbookworm January 24th, 2005 6:36 pm

I agree that he is going to be a lot more informed than he was before. He probably moved to where the order is or to the burrow for easier access. I'm not sure if he will be let in on the meetings though. He is young and has a habbit of taking things into his own hands, maybe that is because he feels he has no choice so if he is allowed on the meetings he maybe will just let them do all the work...

I think the order will be the main reason, after all it is a matter of urgency now. However, I think birthday and exam celebrations will be included also!!

ttb January 25th, 2005 10:22 am

I think now that Voldermort has been exposed he will start doing more things in the open like killing people etc and the order will rush harry to the head quarters to protect him...

Enclave January 25th, 2005 10:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttb
I think now that Voldermort has been exposed he will start doing more things in the open like killing people etc and the order will rush harry to the head quarters to protect him...

That would be plausable except the fact that he is supposed to be leaving under happier circumstances than last time. While yes it still means that he could be leaving under rather bad circumstances as last time it was rather bad I do think he will be leaving for a reason that is not his own personal saftey.

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread but might as well say it again as I don't remember if I did or not. I think that Harry will be leaving Privet Drive to go to the reading of Sirius' will at which point he will learn he inherited #12 Grimmauld Place.

ttb January 25th, 2005 11:11 am

I withdraw my post, but reading of the will, that will make him unhappy he will be reliving his death again and it will bring up old memories, that isn't exactly a happier reason.

But one of my personal fav's is Harry leaves because he is going to Hermiones house for the first time!

Enclave January 25th, 2005 1:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttb
I withdraw my post, but reading of the will, that will make him unhappy he will be reliving his death again and it will bring up old memories, that isn't exactly a happier reason.

But one of my personal fav's is Harry leaves because he is going to Hermiones house for the first time!

Oh it certainly is not a happy reason but it is infinitely more happy of a reason than being attacked by 2 Dementors and facing highly probable expulsion and thus being forced to live as a muggle for the rest of his life.

Seriously, it may be sad but it is nowhere near as bad as what happened the previous year.

I_Seek_Hp January 25th, 2005 1:30 pm

Jk said that harry would spend the shortest amount of time yet at private drive. so u's hoping for a whole summer there, i dont think it will happen.

Fawkesified January 25th, 2005 1:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttb

He is safer at the Dursley's though!

agio January 25th, 2005 2:02 pm

I think that the reason that he'll spend the shortest amount of time is, that his mothers protection is not what it used to be. So therefore, Voldemort could get Harry at the dursleys, and with Harry not having to be at the dursleys any longer....

Enclave January 25th, 2005 2:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by agio
I think that the reason that he'll spend the shortest amount of time is, that his mothers protection is not what it used to be. So therefore, Voldemort could get Harry at the dursleys, and with Harry not having to be at the dursleys any longer....

If that were true though then they would of taken Harry to Grimmauld Place much sooner than they did in OotP.

I_Seek_Hp January 25th, 2005 2:25 pm

ok i really cant be bothered finding the quote but I think it was mad eye who said that they didnt get him sooner because they where trying to find a safe place. Therefore thats y he wasnt gotton sooner.
BTW sorry 4 grammer and spelling errors im not very co-orrdenated at the moment. lol :D ;)

fairladyorchid January 25th, 2005 3:16 pm

Okay I too like the idea of a party and who knows it could be a double with a wedding included. who knows since we have not heard anything about Fluer and Bill. If it were Hagrid and Max I would have to be worried that Hagird would be leaving Hogwarts since Maxine runs that french school. I can't see her living in the hut.
As for leaving for a vacation with the Dursleys I think everyone has learned by now that we hear very little from the Dursleys and only one tiny sentence on Dudley.
I also have to put in my two cents about Privet Dr not being as safe. It rings true as JKR said happier not straight out happy but I want to ask something if it does not detract from the thread, which I promise is not my purpose.
Since Voldemort used Harry's blood to come back does that really mean that Privet Dr is not as safe? I mean DD may still want him to hang on to what he can, protection wise, but I would think that if that were the case the order would want Harry closer and if you ask me, I would think Harry would find that reason alone celebration worthy.
It could very well be all of them together since I am dying to find out way DD looked triumphant for that instant in GoF. He could be leaving for
a/some party/parties and does not admit yet that Privet Dr is not as safe. And who says that Harry cannot learn more about his aunt and uncle while staying elsewhere? And there is definately more to learn from that quarter.
I may have just confused everyone so I am sorry. Welcome to the workings of my brain.

SerpentsRule9 January 25th, 2005 3:35 pm

Well seeing as JKR has said he will be there for less than 4 weeks, im going with either the granger-attacked theory or maybe death eaters attack him in big numbers at privet drv. forcing him to go to 12grimmauld, i think its unlikely he goes to hogwarts but...never know..

phoenixgrl January 25th, 2005 5:02 pm

I don't think anything will drive Harry out of Privet Drive. In the last book Mrs. Weasley I think it is tells Harry that she expects DD to allow Harry to come to them sooner this summer. I think that Harry will go back to the Dursleys for a very short time and then the Weasley's will invite him to stay with them. This will be fine with the Dursleys who are anxious to have Harry out of the house so as not to bring any danger to their family.

gingerbookworm January 26th, 2005 2:17 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixgrl
I don't think anything will drive Harry out of Privet Drive. In the last book Mrs. Weasley I think it is tells Harry that she expects DD to allow Harry to come to them sooner this summer.

Good point. Can you tell me where the quote is? I like to check things :) ...

I think that Harry is still protected in some way while he is at Privet Dr. Dumbledore said in one of the books that as long as he stayed with a relative of his mothers blood line he would be safe. I don't think Voldemort can break into that charm even if he does share the protection Lily gave Harry. (I think that untill it is explained to us more fully from Dumbledore exactly what protection Lily gave Harry, we will not know how Voldemort is affected) Dumbledore also said in the last book that he needs to stay there for a week every year. As long as he can call it home then he would be safe (although I don't know how he ever saw it as home after going to Hogwarts so that could start another discussion perhaps...) This is why I think Harry will only stay there for a week. He does not need to stay any longer than that, we have seen that Dementors are able to get him outside of the house so he would need to remain inside all the time which is not a good kind of life.

I don't think the Dursleys will want him there but they will be encouraged by Dumbledore to allow him to stay for a week as that means if there is any trouble they can take him back to te Dursleys for safety but meanwhile he is probably better off with them all. His help may be needed as well. If Dumbledore can teach him to use his connection to Voldemort, read Voldemorts thoughts whilst keeping Voldemort from seeing Harry's thoughts or feeling his presence, he would be very usefull.

So, in short these are possible reasons
- the Dursleys don't want him
- He's usefull to the order and safer in the way that there will always be someone around to protect him.
- he only needs to stay for a week every year to keep the protection working. Doing so means it can be used as a safe house when needed for Harry.

what do you all think? :shrug:

dobby007 February 2nd, 2005 3:45 pm

Well he´s going to get his apparition licence on his 16th birthday and will inherit grimmault place as Sirius´heir. His new guardian will be Lupin, so he´ll disapparate as soon as possible and spend his holidays in his own house.
It´s said he doesn´t need to stay for long with the Dursley´s, it´s only necessary to return once a year and be able to call it home. So as long as he doesn´t break completely with his aunt that´ll be enough for his protection.

ArtemisiaDax February 3rd, 2005 2:57 am

Don't you have to be seventeen to get an Apparition license? I thought you could only Apparate once you were of age, and in the HP world, that's 17.

atherella February 3rd, 2005 5:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtemisiaDax
Don't you have to be seventeen to get an Apparition license? I thought you could only Apparate once you were of age, and in the HP world, that's 17.

Correct - it's 17. We learned that in OotP with Fred & George. :)

This is from the Lexicon.
Quote:

Wizards must pass a test in order to be obtain a license to be allowed to perform it. To take the test, the applicant must be of age in the Wizarding world (at least 17).

janusincantus February 3rd, 2005 8:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egla

Birthday is a good theory, but I like the idea of O.W.L. results being somehow involved too.

Slightly off-topic: Perhaps I am already too old to remember, but why is becoming 16 "somewhat special" compared to other birthdays? I feel like I am missing something obvious.

Enclave February 3rd, 2005 8:15 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by janusincantus
Birthday is a good theory, but I like the idea of O.W.L. results being somehow involved too.

Slightly off-topic: Perhaps I am already too old to remember, but why is becoming 16 "somewhat special" compared to other birthdays? I feel like I am missing something obvious.

Driving is why. For Wizards I would think the 17th birthday would be considered the special birthday.

gingerbookworm February 3rd, 2005 10:41 am

Well, in Britain you need to be 17 to drive. I think 16th birthday is special just because that is when you become legally old enough to do some things so in legal terms become an adult (although you can't vote or drive in Britain till 18 and 17 respectively...)

I know you need to be 17 in the wizarding world to sit their apparition ("Transport") test but I think maybe some rules will be bent this year for those who are actively preparing themselves for the war against Voldemort. If not apparition they will be trained in defence a lot more - It's goint to be soo exciting!

(Can they use magic outside of Hogwarts now they ahev their owls and are 16 or is that 17 as well?)

Enclave February 3rd, 2005 10:57 am

Again, at 17 is when they no longer are restricted by the underaged wizard laws.

Basically this means that the only one of the trio who will be actually legally able to use magic outside Hogwarts is Hermione and that isn't even until September something if I remember correctly (yes Ron also will be of age but that isn't until nearing the end of the year...April is when his Bday is isn't it?).

So sorry no legal magic from the trio until they are at Hogwarts. Next book though it is a whole different story and all 3 will be of age.

gingerbookworm February 3rd, 2005 11:09 am

And that will be when it all happens as if it al happened in this book there would be nothing for the 7th!! Just thought, if they are not allowed to do it outside of hogwarts what will happen about them all using magic at the ministry. I suppose Fudge believes them now so he will accept that it was for good reasons.

Enclave February 3rd, 2005 11:36 am

Legally speaking they were not allowed to use magic at the at the ministry. However their lives were in sufficient danger that they could bypass the restriction obviously. However that shouldn't excuse them from being punished in some way for actually going there in the first place. But it is Harry so he won't be punished and the others were simply following him so they won't be punished either. Remember the government loves Harry again.

spacecase February 3rd, 2005 7:18 pm

Someone said that Harry might go to Hermione's house for the first time. While I think that this would be great, and I'd like to see a little more of her parents, JKR said that their role wasn't that important. Maybe...they will go somewhere with Luna. This would leave room for the development of a Luna/Harry relationship (even if it's just a stronger friendship). But most of all, I would like to meet Mr. Lovegood. There were some theories that he was an unspeakable, so I'd really like to see him. I'd also like to see if Luna's dad is as kooky as her at all. She lived in the same relative vicinity of the Weasleys, because they were supposed to have taken the portkey with them to the world cup, but they couldn't get tickets. So, the trio might travel to the burrow, and then they might visit Luna? Just speculation!

soccerhawk February 3rd, 2005 10:52 pm

sorry if this was mentioned before but i am relativly new here i didnt want to read through all 10 pages of discussion

i would like to see harry and perhaps the others visit godrics hollow. i want to learn about the history of the potter family( grandparents, family tree, relative still in existance?) i would also like to know whether or not the potter's still actually own property or possesions there. does harry own them now. and is there any tie in with godrics hollow and godric gryffindor.