Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Harry Potter Archives (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=109500)

Morgoth June 28th, 2007 11:45 am

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

This thread is for members to post their reviews of the Deathly Hallows. What did you think of it? A poll is attached.

The Forum Rules are in operation as always. In addition be aware of our Conduct Notice for participation in the Deathly Hallows Forums.

Nicole July 22nd, 2007 12:22 am

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

I can't say it played out like nothing I expected, because I expected even more than we were given! :lol: I was a bit disappointed with the Epilogue. There are tons of questions I have left, too, though it would be foolish to expect any answers for them.

I literally couldn't put the book down until I had read it all, so must confess to being 'totally engrossed'. :D

Morgoth July 22nd, 2007 8:34 pm

I loved every page of this book. LOVED IT. I couldn't put the damn book down. Everytime I thought "I should go eat..." I just carried on and on. Jo surpassed herself in this book, completely. I was so impressed with the Prince's Tale chapter. That was so good. 'Look ... at ... me ...' he whispered. :sad:

The Battle of Hogwarts was stunning.

hermy_weasley2 July 22nd, 2007 9:01 pm

I should've voted Outstanding. I loved it, couldn't put it down. I even need to catch up on some sleep because of it. This book was so emotional for me, I cried so many times in this book but the victory in the end and the Battle of Hogwarts was so exciting.

Put it this way, I overheard someone at the release party say that Voldemort killed Snape, no details. I could've screamed (I didn't), but it turns out it didn't matter, everything else was put together in a way that I never expected. I guess you learn to expect all the possilities with all the different plot elements, but this book all together was nothing I could've imagined. Loved it!

Kendra July 22nd, 2007 9:12 pm

Loved it loved it loved it. My favourite book of the series and possibly of all time. I was disappointed with the epilogue, it could have said more. I abandoned sleep because I couldn't put it down.

Magical.

gertiekeddle July 23rd, 2007 7:07 pm

I voted Outstanding although definitely felt that many things didn't come along that unexpected. Still, enough turned out to be quite surprising and, what's more for me, the way JK put all together was breathtaking.

The beginning got me so completely, and then again the end was awesome. The epilogue is put in a nice idea by being short and just making clear Harry's life turned normal, but for my taste I'd liked to get some more information about professions, friends, family (Weasleys, Dudleys).

While I also agree that getting answers for some more from the 'bigger' questions in general had been great, I'm impressed by how many answers JK already put in without distracting from the plotline.

HAVortexDude July 23rd, 2007 10:32 pm

Definitely my favorite in the series. It felt very different than the other books since Harry wasn't at Hogwarts, but it was a good sort of change I guess. I loved the locations the horcruxes were in and all the challenges they went through. There were some very touching and sad moments. One of my favorite parts was when Ron came back and that made me so happy to see them friends again and it was great. I was also sad about all the deaths. Poor Dobby, Hedwig, Fred, George's ear, Mad-Eye, and the numerous others. I LOVED Mrs. Weasley's line in the book when she dueled Bellatrix. I absolutely adored the last few chapters, except the epilogue. I loved the battle at Hogwarts and Harry and Voldemort's final duel. The only thing I was disappointed in was how many questions were left unanswered, but that's kind of to be expected. The epilogue was good, if you forget that fact. Overall, it was an amazing book. It's all over now! *cries*

Heart July 23rd, 2007 11:10 pm

Outstanding with GOF, HBP and OOTP who I all thought were amazing; it had FLAWS with some plot holes, yes plot holes, but did the other books, didn't they? All around an amazing book that lived up to the hype.

mxchape04 July 23rd, 2007 11:23 pm

Easily my favorite, it was perfectly suspenseful and Jo kept me guessing till the end. The entire story was perfect in the writing and how she (as she usually does) dropped in so much foreshadowing that nobody catches until the event actually happens. The ending was good, although the nineteen years later was a bit odd. I hadn't expected what seemed like another chapter though, i was expecting bullet points with stuff like "Harry married Ginny and they had a family of three children", but it was nonetheless excellent. my favorite part was how some of the areas reminded me of the other books and made me pause for a second to look back on the entire series.

Deathly Hallows was a GREAT ending to a GREAT story.

Tonks July 23rd, 2007 11:35 pm

I gave it an "O" because I just adored this book. There were things that I missed, like occupations and things, yet the story was outstanding.

I thought some of the camping bits were overlong but the last chapters made up for it all. It was so engrossing and like nothing I ever expected.

maeve_mcmoony July 23rd, 2007 11:51 pm

I gave it an 'E' only because, even though it was my favorite and I liked everything about it, it did not surprise me enough. I would have given it an 'O' except the criterion for an 'O' as stated in the poll specifically says it plays out like nothing I expected.

MrSleepyHead July 23rd, 2007 11:57 pm

Without a doubt, it was Outstanding. Most likely the best book I have ever read, and I doubt it will be topped any time soon. Although most of my predictions were wrong (probably better that way), the book played out perfectly. The only thing against the book I have is this: It was wrapped up too quickly. The epilogue began and drove the misery, euphoria, and knowledge of what had just happened out of my mind. I was not able to dwell on what had just occurred, and instead had to read a 'pointless' epilogue. However, one incredibly minor thing is not enough to ruin the book.

LogicSpeaks July 24th, 2007 12:53 am

I gave it an 'A'. I loved the story, it ended exactly as it should have, it got me involved.....but not enough. Too much seemed convenient, rushed or unlikely in my opinion, however I know I'm probably just nit-picking, as I have a tendency to do.

DarwinMayflower July 24th, 2007 1:46 am

Me personally, I'd have to put it at...EE. Exceeds expectations.

It's not to say that it isn't a great book, it is...however in some aspects of inspired genius, we also have some rough patches that sort of shows a bit of grime on the story.

The best thing of this book is how much of a great installment in the series it is. I've always felt that OoTP was sort of a filler novel, as well with HBP being the 1st parter of a 2 part story of which the DH would be the second half, but one of the first things that you really notice in the novel is that it isn't just the second half to what HBP started, it's truly a book that encompasses the entirety of the series. In other words it's truly a book that is for the HP geek/fan and full of HP geek/fan stuff. Everything is referenced and everything is tied up which I liked.

However in some respect, that's what sort of the downer to the installment, that it is so neatly put together. That in some respect this novel is the movie equivalent of a summer action blockbuster, it's huge in scope tonnes of action sequences, thrills a minute, little character development but more character development in the stories about the people rather than the characters themselves and when it's all done...well that's basically it.

I have to admit that I had my doubts. The whole horcrux journey was fabulously handled in such a way that it not only got people guessing but made the journey all the worthwhile without feeling like a dungeon romp or a boring fetch quest. What really amazed me is how JKR managed to fit her own story of the DH within the whole Hocrux story of HBP without either losing the individuality of the installment of it's own story to be totally reliant on the HBP installment. It's such a great balance that JKR did writing the thing where it's a story unto itself (sort of) but a great deal of it is in the lore of the previous 6 novels.

However there were things that were sort of convuluted or even tacked on at times. Now it's not because I wanted version akin to what I imagined or fanficced, (which I never done) but things like Pettigrew dying, various elements in the Hogwarts battle and just random little moments in the book seemed like they had to be addressed but in such a way that it required just a "Let's touch base" thing. Other moments seemed to drag out, such as the final discussion between Voldemort and Harry the battle itself or various discussions that could have been just blurted out in the first place. And to tell the truth, the Epilogue I pesonally felt was pretty terrible. Not in it's inability to explain in many things (that would have made it worst), but how completely tacked on it felt or how much of a darn fanfic it felt like. After all the pretty masterful writing beforehand, we seemed to encounter garbage at the end.

All in all it is a good book. A suitable ending to the series.

62442al_Man July 24th, 2007 1:59 am

The way it was wrapped up...words do not express.

meesha1971 July 24th, 2007 2:23 am

I gave it an O. There are some pretty big flaws in terms of consistency with the previous books, but the overall plot more than made up for that and I'm really hoping Jo explains the mistakes. I'm willing to overlook them though because I was so engrossed in the story. I just couldn't put it down.

I think the only thing that truly disappointed me with this book was how Snape's story was handled. I felt that was very weak and we were left with more questions than answers regarding Snape.

But apart from that, the rest of the book was absolutely amazing and I just loved it. :)

rainie_hp July 24th, 2007 2:26 am

I gave it an "O" Its my fav. so far! Enough said!

NYCwitch920 July 24th, 2007 2:48 am

My favorite book ever! Would have given it an outstanding had it not been for the epilogue. The actual story deserves an outstanding though. Loved the final battle at Hogwarts!! Loved everything.

KarmaPolice July 24th, 2007 3:08 am

Disappointed in the book....

Hammered out this book in a day, but overall I'd have to say that I was disappointed in it. IMO it seemed a bit forced/rushed. Here are some specifics that I had problems with, so feel free to comment at will:

1. All the main deaths were badly written.

Mad-Eye eats it quick
Dobby gets with knife streaking across the room? I thought disapperating was pretty much instantaneous?
Pettigrew has a 1 sec hesitation and strangles himself to death?
Snape dies in 2 secs without a fight, etc..
Lupin and Tonks are likable characters and their death is a sidenote as Harry is scanning the dead bodies.
Mrs. Weasley takes out Bellatrix after calling her a ##### ??

2. They didn't seem to get to any of the Horcruxes with knowledge of their own.

They "think" something else in in Gringotts from Bellatrix's slip up
Harry learns of the one in Hogwarts through Voldemort's thoughts
Seems like the plot line in Book 6 that had DD teaching Harry about Tom's life so he could attempt to figure out where
the Horcruxes were was a waste of time in retrospect - seems like none of this knowledge was used in this book.

** I thought the book was going to be about them applying knowledge they got from DD and using that to find the horcruxes/defeat Voldemort. Was disappointed that they didn't seem to do much on their own accord.

3. The book didn't flow very well. Starting off good and then felt like about 250-300 pages of the 3 camping out in the woods and arguing with each other without much getting done in the way of locating horcruxes. We didn't get back on the horcrux trail until over 1/2 way through the book when they were at Malfoy's house.

4. The whole scene with Ron coming back just in time to save Harry from the pool of water in the middle of the woods that just happened to have Godric's sword in it was :rolleyes: to say the least.

5. Godric's Hollow was built up, but not a think really happened there besides the snake popping out and seeing the symbol on the grave.

6. The epilogue was worthless - what about everybody else:

Did anything happen to the Malfoy's?
Did George continue with the store?
What were the core 4 doing for a living?
I am sure people would be interested who was at Hogwarts as teachers, headmaster, etc...

7. WAY too many Qs left unanswered, a lot of which I thought JK herself said would be touched upon in the book:

What did Harry's parents do for a living?
What did Dudley see when the Dementor attacked him?
Nothing was really wrapped up with Petunia and her knowledge of what was going on or DD's letter, etc...
Why introduce the veil in the Ministry of Magic and not tell us WTH that is?
I thought we'd know a lot more about Harry's parents in general.
I am sure there are more that I can't think of now.

8. I think what disappointed me most was that I was losing interest in the story while they were out camping in the woods for what seemed to be a long time. Not sure how others feel, but If I were to make up a list of my 10 fav. characters from the books I don't think that Ron, Harry, or Hermione would be on the list. Obviously the book was focused on them, and I lost interest because of that. I think my top 10 would be on the lines of; Snape, Neville, Luna, Sirius, Lupin, the Twins, Ginny, Mad-Eye, DD, Lucius. Overall in the book not many of these characters were in it for any length of time - I realize 2 were dead, but thought we'd have a Sirius sighting in the book. IMO the book would've been better served following a little bit what was going on in Hogwarts or with the Order. But alas, that's probably not what JK's intention was- It was about the 3 going on their own.

All in all, I'd say this ranks just above book #2 on my list of favorites. Overall it just felt too rushed and really didn't feel like some of JK's best work. If I had to rank the books it would be: 3, 5, 4, 6, 1, 7, 2

Since this was moved (really wanted a thread to discuss these points) :( I voted and gave it an "A". None of the books are bad or deserve a grade less than this, but as I said above, it was one of my least favorite books - not enough of the characters I like the most for me to get into the book as much as I did the others.

Half_Blood_Don July 24th, 2007 3:09 am

I'm kind of angry the NY Times best seller list doesn't allow "Children's Books" on the top 10 of w/e