Chamber of Secrets

Chamber of Secrets (http://www.cosforums.com/index.php)
-   Divination Studies (http://www.cosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   The best possible ending? (http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=18730)

Lellygreen1 September 27th, 2003 8:50 pm

what would be the best ending?

hey i have been reading threads asking what would be the worst ending for the series - now what would be the best? harry lives and becomes an auora? or become headmaster of hogwarts? or dies just after defeating lord voldemort?

what do you think?

Sebastian06 September 27th, 2003 9:29 pm

Honestly, I think the best possible ending for the series would be for Harry to die, honorably of course, but still die. I don't want a perfect ending, and it just wouldn't make sense, in my opinion, if Harry survived. Since the prophecy says that either Harry or Voldemort will have to kill the other, people naturally think that Harry will triumph over Voldemort, the Wizarding World will elect him the next Minister of Magic, while he simultaneously becomes the Headmaster of Hogwarts, and yadda yadda yadaa. It's just not like Rowling to tie everything up so perfectly and to have the reader be able to guess the ending correctly.

Amadeus September 27th, 2003 9:34 pm

.... And it was then when Harry woke up and realized all of it had just been a very long dream and he was still his 11 year old self living under the stairs.....

That would be interesting...

Actually, the best ending would be to have Harry killed off..

Maybe Ron.... too...:evil:

(Don't get me wrong, I love both Harry and Ron)

If it is the Disney-like 'happily-ever-after' ending, I don't think I would appreciate the HP books as much as I do now... (I think we all get enough of the happily-ever-after stuff from Disney alone.)

Even if Harry doesn't die, it should be a somewhat bitter and dark ending....

Something like the ending of LOTR...

They achieve their goal, yet LOTR is not 'just' an epic of the Fellowship of the Ring and Frodo..

Alcina September 27th, 2003 9:53 pm

My sig says it all really... :-)

But from a point of view other than my own, the most appropriate ending would
be for Harry to die heroicly. I would also like to know what happened to all the othr characters who are in Harry's year; and to know what the future holds for the Wizarding World (and I hope it's more encouraging than the present suggests).

cleansweep11 September 27th, 2003 10:10 pm

Best possible ending?Harry to live but not become an Aurora. I can't really see him as one. And it would seem rather strange........I dno.........but maybe somthing else(not minister or headmaster though......). I can't really think of a job for him. But Harry must live!!

Jessica September 28th, 2003 12:25 am

To be honest, I trust JKR to come up with an ending that's both amazing and conclusive. You know, something that ties everything together and leaves you feeling satisfied that the wait was worth it.

Having said that,I have absolutely no idea what it might be but my preference would be for the trio to survive.

dumbleedore September 28th, 2003 9:31 am

I'd actually like Harry not to defeat Voldemort and leave us pondering what happened...

WeasleyIsOurKing September 28th, 2003 8:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbleedore
I'd actually like Harry not to defeat Voldemort and leave us pondering what happened...

Oh, Jebus. I would probaly have an aneurism. If JKR ever does that I will hop on the next plane to the UK and DEMAND closure.

Rien September 29th, 2003 2:04 am

The best possible ending is probably something I couldn't dream of guessing. :D

Prof.Aze September 29th, 2003 5:35 am

For me the best possible ending would have to be Harry and Hermione marrying and a very happy life and a happy family and their son having a scar in his forehead also. :) The best... :D

lanifiel September 29th, 2003 9:14 am

I think this i better suited for the Hall of Prophecy

Morgan LeFay September 29th, 2003 10:05 am

IMO it's posibble that Harry will die, but it also can be something like: he won't die, but somebody important to him will. I think it will be very traumatic ending. I can't imagine the ending. It's too hard.

v@sh September 29th, 2003 1:29 pm

IMO, if Harry dies it should be a heroic death where he defeats Voldemort. If he dies, then he will be able to finally return to his family. It would be fitting in a way that he is able to see his parents again.

But the other part of me says that I'd rather Harry live on and live the life he has always wanted - to be a normal wizard without the pressures of the world on him - be happy, enjoy life, and find love. It would be cruel to have him killed off with all that he has suffered throughout his life and then not for him to enjoy any of it once he defeats Voldemort. I reckon that would be the best possible ending and who knows if Luna has someway he can talk to his family behind the veil, he mighten need not to die.

Narami September 29th, 2003 3:25 pm

Am I the only who loves Harry too much to see him die? :sigh: Poor little boy, I've been crossing my fingers since the first book just for the "boy who lived" to live!
So the best ending for me will be very simple in it's basis, Harry lives.
About Voldemort, if he lives then the whole thing it's useless (and Harry would die) but I don't know. I'm sure JK has a great ending, very surprising probably... my signature has what I thought one day (watching the first movie you know when he goes all cutely "I can't be a wizard, I'm just Harry...just Harry) could be the last sentence... people have commented on it before, but honestly I would have a heart attack if it has to something with "When he woke up he couldn't beleive it was just a dream... but he still had his scar". And that wouldn't be very original, still Harry would be alive and I would be thankful deeply. I would also sue someone if in the last book there's no closure, wich thankfully is not very probable since JK has said she wants to tie everything in a big nice knot... I hope that means not to leave us wondering our heads off and becoming mad.

lupe October 3rd, 2003 11:57 pm

i don't want Harry to die but I don't really see him becoming an auror or having an actual job when he graduates.If he died the ending would be more effective but his life would seem so pointless or something because his parents died for him.
I can't really think of the best possible ending. There are too many possibilities.

cleansweep11 October 4th, 2003 12:09 am

I totally agree with lupe! I can't imagine him with a job but I can imagine him living.

Godrics_Heiress October 4th, 2003 12:53 am

Harry will be a professional Quidditch seeker!

HagridLives October 4th, 2003 12:59 am

[color=Navy]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lellygreen1
hey i have been reading threads asking what would be the worst ending for the series - now what would be the best? harry lives and becomes an auora? or become headmaster of hogwarts? or dies just after defeating lord voldemort?

what do you think?

I think it would be harry becomes an auora!

Jesse_Granger October 4th, 2003 1:49 am

I think that Harry should still kill off Voldemort and he's gone, but then from like Exastion or something Harry should die to. (Though it would still be really sad).
That or Hogwarts completely crumbles and there is some mass extinction of Wizards, that would be...interesting.

cleansweep11 October 4th, 2003 2:05 am

I think that Harry should be somthing other then an Auror and a minsiter of magic.......

Imsirien October 4th, 2003 4:19 am

I'll cry if it turns out to be a dream. To me, that would be the worst possible ending because I really dislike reality. Anyway, I think it would be a good ending if Harry died....but only if he took Voldie with him. Something like the ending to the Last Herald Mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey. If any of you have read it, you'll know what I mean.
The prophecy says that neither can live while the other survives. So at least one has to die. It doesn't say that one has to live and one has to die. Therefore Harry could sacrifice himself to get rid of Voldie.

hermione_fan October 4th, 2003 5:07 am

I think it would be for Harry to die after defeating Voldemort. I'm really sick of all this living happily ever after stuff. It would still be really sad *tear* but atleast he would die with honor and glory.

WeasleyIsOurKing October 5th, 2003 5:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HagirdLives
I think it would be harry becomes an auora!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleansweep11
I think that Harry should be somthing other then an Auora and a minsiter of magic.......

Just a comment... it's Auror, not Auora. :)

BellatrixLeS October 5th, 2003 6:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermione_fan
I think it would be for Harry to die after defeating Voldemort. I'm really sick of all this living happily ever after stuff. It would still be really sad *tear* but atleast he would die with honor and glory.

I can see your point, but I'm reluctant to want Harry to die, simply because I want to see what he'd do with his life.

Black's Flight October 5th, 2003 10:05 pm

Best possable endind? I know you're all going hate me for thinking up such a corny ending, but I think a perfect ending would consist of Harry killing Voldemort and ending up with Ginny or Luna. :blush: Ron and Hermine would live and get together and Sirius would somehow come back to life. Remus would live too. Yeah. That's good. DD can die though. Makes it a little more dramatic. Maybe he could speak to Harry as a ghost or sometihng. Like Obi-wan in Star Wars. ;)
Haveing the whole wizarding word crumble or Harry just wakeing up? I'd hate that. :grumble:

Auror Williamson October 5th, 2003 10:26 pm

Quote:

Just a comment... it's Auror, not Auora.
Thank you, I was just about to bring that up.

Note: See screen name. :)

Dedalus Diggle October 6th, 2003 4:27 am

I think Harry would have to live, and to 'vanquish' Voldemort without being a murderer. I also think he has to be seen struggling with the years of stress he's been under, not by becoming an utter flake, but having to find a way to redefine himself, to transcend being 'the one with the power to vanquish.' If he were unable to do that, he'd end up as a bum, trading tales of his battles with the Dark Lord for drinks in wizard pubs - perhaps a fair bit of realism there, but a bit too much. I would like to see Harry ending up in a stable love relationship, but I don't really care if its Hermione, Luna, Ginny, Tonks, Lavender, Alicia, etc. (I don't think the slash combos would do). But this should be part of the overall process of growing beyond the warrior self-image. I could accept anyone but the trio dying in the next two books, if it made sense and was not just wholesale slaughter (unless of course, wholesale slaughter by the DEs breaks out and is what drives the plot in a book - probably 7).

*Jess* October 6th, 2003 9:08 am

Ohhh wow...this is a great thread!! Nice work, Lellygreen!!

The thing is, though, I'm not sure which one that I can say...The BEST ending, or the MOST LIKELY? Well, I'll say both.

I think the MOST LIKELY ending will be that Harry defeats Voldemort, etc etc. Ok, no, wait, I'm going to contradict myself there by saying that that probably wont happen, simply because it's too simple...JKR will have to make it more complicated than that. So really I dunno!

But I think the BEST ending would be for Harry to finally defeat Voldie but die soon afterwards from some fatal wound etc. Don't get me wrong: I definitely don't want Harry to die...I love him heaps!! But I think that It would add more of a twist to the story, you know?

Loz October 6th, 2003 9:37 am

"And Dumbledore laughed triumphantly - the boy had killed his arch nemesis and he could begin his plan for world domination at last. He looked at the young Potter boy and with one final flourish cast Avada Kadavra directly at his scar..."

*snicker* No, not really. I am of the opinion that I couldn't possibly come up with an ending that could rival JKR. I'm positive she is going to blow me away... and that I'll cry for a week at least, even if it's a mostly happy ending :D

Guardian Angel October 6th, 2003 9:54 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herbert West
I think I'd prefer the Scooby Doo ending.

Voldemort: "I would've got away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids."

Lol, I'd like that kind of ending as well... or if not that, then this one:

"... Hary had been finally free, Voldemort defeated, Aberforth married a goat and Ron and Hermione lived happily ever after."

*Jess* October 6th, 2003 10:12 am

Oh, Loz mate I totally agree..my ideas on this aren't that good...I can't wait for the end of the series (just to see what happens), but I also can wait coz I don't want it to end!! lol. I'd better be blown away...:D

wpolly October 9th, 2003 1:07 pm

I think it'll end in this way:

Harry Consumed all his magical powers to kill Voldie and become a muggle....(!?)

Starrlight October 12th, 2003 7:01 pm

For books that I love as much as HP, I like to be able to read them again and again. I can't see mysef reading them ever again if anyone in the trio dies. Don't get me wrong--tragic endings can be good--I loved the end of Titanic, but never wanted to see it a second time even though it was a great movie! So all three of the trio must live, or I get rid of all the books when it's all done. That doesn't mean I won't like them, or couldn't accept a tragic ending as a good one, but I wouldn't want to read them again if all the magic, fun, and humor of the first books is just leading up to a tragic end. I'd have the same reaction that Harry had to Moody showing him the pictures of the original OOTP in book 5--remember he said that he thought it was sick? Well, ending this series with the death of Harry would be just as bad--Harry's right on this one!

haycheng October 13th, 2003 9:50 pm

Have anyone watch the ending for StarTrek:The Next generation? Prcard is given second chance in the end. May be Harry will return to the point at 11 year old but with his family? This kind of end create a sense of ending, yet it is not truely end. It has been used in couple of moive and I think it can work very well in HP as well.

A second chance for Harry Potter without the problem of Vmort, how nice is that. I think that is what Harry truely wanted.

Dragonfly the 2nd October 14th, 2003 3:06 am

I think the best ending would be Harry's death. Harry and Voldemort should die killing each other, or Harry should be forced to kill himself to kill Voldemort. It wouldn't be sad at all, because Harry would be reunited with Sirius and his parents, and anybody else who dies. That would be an excellent ending, in my opinion. It's sort of a doomed "happily ever after."

eggplant October 14th, 2003 4:35 pm

And then Voldemort said "Harry I can see you were right, you were right about everything. I can't thank you enough for returning my lost little puppy, Skippy, to me"
Voldemort wiped a single perfect tear from his eye and said
"You've taught me the true meaning of friendship and the true meaning of Christmas too. I know now I've made some poor decisions in my life. Harry, I'm sorry I tortured you and murdered your parents, I don't think that was a very nice thing to do, I really don't. "
"Ah, forget it you knucklehead"
said Harry feeling slightly embarrassed and giving Voldemort a friendly punch on the shoulder.
"None of us are perfect we all make mistakes."
They put their arms on each other's shoulder and then the feeling of joy in the hearts of both Harry and Voldemort became so large that they could contain it no longer and burst into song:
"I love you, you love me, we're a happy family..."

And they all lived happily ever after.

THE END

Nick October 14th, 2003 5:18 pm

The best possible ending?

- Harry trips over his own ego and breaks his neck. AND DIES. Without honour.
- Voldemort finally gets around to forming that boy band he's been wanting with the death eaters. "Rage against the Muggles" tops the international charts.
- Neville, who totally rocks, becomes a teacher.
- Snape, it transpires, was involved in a love polygon with Lily, James, Peter, Aberforth DD, and several portraits.
- Hogwarts gets a decent name that can't be stupidised into something dumb like "hoggy woggy hogwarts".
- I get to score with Bellatrix Lestrange.

Inkling October 19th, 2003 3:43 am

Okay, it better not be a dream. If it is, I am going to...I don't know, boycott all fantasy for the rest of my life or something overly drastic.

I have noticed, though, that JKR is absolutely obsessed with time. We have the time turner in PoA, which is so complicated we should have a Hall of Time or something to address it. Then, in OoP, there is that whole room with the time turners and the bird and the "ugly-baby-headed death eater." She loves messing with it.

So, that, along with Dumbledore's "I must admit it would not satisfy me merely to kill you, Tom," right before he duels Voldie, gives me this crazy idea. What if Harry has some ability to manipulate time. I know that almost everyone has decided that Harry's power has something to do with goodness, but hear me out.

Voldemort either a) does not know it or b) detest it. He made himself virtually immortal after "many precautions" and experiments. This does not sound like the actions of a man ready to face his death. Plus, he is nearly seventy. He IS running out of time, whereas fifteen year old Harry might as well have forever. Terry Pratchett, for example, has a theory in his Discworld novels that we have hourglasses of life left. What if JKR has a similar and yet unexplained theory? Harry could actually have excess time in him!

Secondly, what better way to completely destroy Voldemort than to go back to before his fifth year and a) kill him, b) foil his plans and stop his rise before it begins, or c) turn him? Dumbledore woulde have completely destroyed what the Dark Lord stood for, and NO CASUALTIES WOULD HAVE BEEN SUFFERED. James and Lily would survive, along with Sirius and all the rest.

That, my friends, would be a happy ending to make the Brothers Grimm blush.

lorna October 19th, 2003 6:44 am

JK Rowling's been pretty clear about the dead staying that way so I don't thing we're going to get any of our loved characters back.

I'd like to see Harry beat that prophecy. I'm not sure I'm that happy with this "your fate is written, there's nothing you can do...." I've always had it at the back of my mind if anyone deserves to have his soul sucked it's Voldie. I just can't work out how Harry could arrange for this.
The other thing I wouldn't mind seeing happen is Harry to go into the one other thing he seemed rather good at and got a fair amount of satisfaction from. Teaching. He really seemed to enjoy the DA sessions
and his "students" were learning.
And wouldn't it just rot Snape's socks if, after all this time, with temptation to rejoin the DE gone with the final defeat of Voldemort,
the DADA position within his grasp, DD made Harry Potter the DADA
teacher.
I love Snape but that would be somewhat amusing.

Abhishek October 19th, 2003 8:10 am

I think it should be a LOTR-esque ending. Harry will be heartbroken-after losing his two closest friends and cant imagine being without them. he walks through the veil, in order to reunite with those he lost. It would be a bittersweet ebding. Bitter because Harry is leaving the world for good and he is leaving all those remaining survivors who care about him, more specifically Lupin and the Weasleys(maybe excluding ron). Sweet becuase his most desperate desire of meeting his parents is being fulfilled.

ArmachiA October 19th, 2003 10:01 am

My best ending?
~Harry died killing the Dark Lord all heriocly and such, gets a death Scene, everyone is sad. Though this would be hard to read I do think it's a good way to close the story of the boy who lived (Not the boy who liveS)

~Auther Weasley is made the new Minister of Magic (Wouldn't that be awesome)

~At the end of the book there is some kind of prologue that tells us what happened to the characters after Harry's passing.

~ Draco and Hermione get together! (Ohh... okay... so that defiantly won't happen... but the rest are plausible!) ^_^

lorna October 19th, 2003 3:33 pm

Just out of curosity why do some of you want this angsty gothic ending?
For one thing Harry's parents die to save his life, right.
Wouldn't Harry's dying himself rather negate their sacrifice?

Merrymime October 19th, 2003 4:12 pm

Yeah, I agree lorna. I've read this thread and I'm quite shocked to see how many people think it would be a good ending for Harry to die. That's interesting. I think, though it would be horrible for Harry to die. I would be pretty mad and disappointed if he did. I think others are going to die, like maybe Dumbledore, Neville and Hagrid. But, not Harry.

I think Harry will defeat Voldemort, but it will be in a spectacular way that we won't be expecting and it will be quite difficult for him. He will definately come very close to dieing, but something so incredible and phenomenal will happen, it will blow our socks off!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Freezair October 19th, 2003 7:58 pm

Count me among those who'd like a happy ending where, at the very least, The Six survive. (Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Ginny, and Luna.) However, there'd probably be some sort of hugeo devistation that left a lot of other people dead, definately a lot of teachers: Dumbledore, McGonagal, Lupin, Moody, at least one other Weasley... But Voldemort would be gone. I can imagine the ending going something like this:

"Of course, Harry realized, his life could never be the same. His mentor lay dead, somewhere off in the distance, and so did many of his closest friends... the ex-professor Lupin, Professor McGonagall... Dumbledore. In the past few years, he had learned to deal with death. But still, he had his dearest friends with.
If he could have, Harry almost would have loved to point his own wand at himself and scream, 'Oblivate'--just to forget all the horrible things that had happened. But he couldn't. He was in Gryfffindor--to do so would be the ultimate act of cowardice, and one he would not commit. Besides, he told himself, even all those awful memories melted away, he would always have a reminded--ever looming there on his forehead, like a smear of darkness--a single, thin, lightning bolt-shaped scar."

Merrymime October 20th, 2003 2:03 pm

I wonder...perhaps the scar will disappear in the end...

:huh:

daz October 20th, 2003 7:53 pm

i would like to see harry and ginny together and see them married with kids and a twin boys called albus and sirius and ron and hermione dating and neville teacing at hogwarts and there at hogwarts at a reunion and there all happy

Starrlight October 21st, 2003 2:21 am

Why would it be good for Harry to die and be reunited with his parents and Sirius? He hardly knows any of those three people. They are images in his mind--he doesn't know any of them, as the last book demonstrates. Let him live 60 or 70 years, then join them beyond the veil, and tell them what he did with the life they died to give him. Otherwise, they would have to say--we died so that you could die yourself at 17? Man, we should have lived, instead, if that's all you're doing with our gift!
Harry knows his closest friends, and even Neville, a lot better than the three adults who sacrificed themselves for him. What the heck would they have to talk about beyond the veil? The boy who lived must live!!!! Or what's the point of the series? Good call above on Harry becoming a teacher! Harry as the DADA teacher, and Snape hating every minute of it! I like Snape, I want him to get over it and move on--but I'm not sure that he's capable of that.

Nick October 21st, 2003 6:36 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling
Secondly, what better way to completely destroy Voldemort than to go back to before his fifth year and a) kill him, b) foil his plans and stop his rise before it begins, or c) turn him? Dumbledore woulde have completely destroyed what the Dark Lord stood for, and NO CASUALTIES WOULD HAVE BEEN SUFFERED. James and Lily would survive, along with Sirius and all the rest.

Time travel in this series doesn't seem to work that way. He could go back and cause things to occur the way they did, but he can't change what's done.

ArmachiA October 21st, 2003 7:36 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorna
Just out of curosity why do some of you want this angsty gothic ending?
For one thing Harry's parents die to save his life, right.
Wouldn't Harry's dying himself rather negate their sacrifice?

Well, personally I don't really like Harry dying, but it seems to me it would be a fitting end to the books. I don't know why, it just does. However, if push comes to shove, I would like for him to live.

Tonks08 October 21st, 2003 9:58 pm

[QUOTE: Freezair]
"Of course, Harry realized, his life could never be the same. His mentor lay dead, somewhere off in the distance, and so did many of his closest friends... the ex-professor Lupin, Professor McGonagall... Dumbledore. In the past few years, he had learned to deal with death. But still, he had his dearest friends with.
If he could have, Harry almost would have loved to point his own wand at himself and scream, 'Oblivate'--just to forget all the horrible things that had happened. But he couldn't. He was in Gryfffindor--to do so would be the ultimate act of cowardice, and one he would not commit. Besides, he told himself, even all those awful memories melted away, he would always have a reminded--ever looming there on his forehead, like a smear of darkness--a single, thin, lightning bolt-shaped scar."[/quote]

That's a good ending!!!!

--- I think that the ending's going to end with Harry heroicly dieing... Voldemort attacks him and they duel, Harry realizes what he must do to save everybody, die, and since Voldemort and Harry are connected through Harry's scar, they both die. And everyone that Voldemort killed comes back, including Harry.

^---- I think it's a little too Disney-ish though... Everything seems to simple

So besides that philosphy I have no CLUE so there! :rasp: :p j/k

AvadaKedavra October 22nd, 2003 12:25 am

For me it would be- the "boy who lived" became known as "the boy who died". You see, the best thing about this is that his death would be the very downfall of Voldemort as Voldemort would make the same mistake as before, of underestimating the protection that someone dying for you can make- so lets say Harry dies for someone he loves and the Voldemort claims "victory" and then kills off the person he was supposed to do in the first place, but only this time, the curse rebounds and this time, Voldemort has no immortality to protect him. Some nice fried Voldie.

If JKR did a bit like this...

Harry felt like he was floating. The sensation was wonderful, and Harry soared upwards, light as a feather. The white light became too bright, and Harry had to screw his eyes up in order to see anything. There was wonderful, melodious music, and Harry gasped. His parents were walking, or rather, sort of "gliding" to him, with big smiles on their faces. "Hello, Harry" said his mother. "Well done, son" offered his father. Harry's heart leapt even higher, for on the white horizion, a familiar big black dog was bounding towards him.

I would cry for ages with happiness and proclaim JKR as the greatest ever.

Potterific October 22nd, 2003 5:50 am

I have to say that I have always loved books with sad endings. If Harry dies heroically to save the Wizarding World I will cry my little eyes out, and I would cry my eyes out again and again every time I reread the book.

noddwyd October 22nd, 2003 6:41 am

I do not think that Harry dying would make all that great of an ending, personally. As several have already stated, his parents died so that he might live a normal, happy life. So he should have the chance at that, before he joins them in the next world. I would like for Harry to defeat the 'dark lord' in a way that no one ever would have imagined possible. Without killing Tom, himself. There will be losses, yes, and Harry's will be great, I think. But his power, the one that has gotten him this far, will save him in the end, from himself, as well as what Voldemort will do to him. I think he will need to have someone to love, and be loved by for all this to work in the first place. Preferably Luna or Hermione.

Another possible ending I liked was where Harry attacks Voldemort with all his being at once. The attack destroys Voldemort completely, but Harry's energy is so drained that all that's left of him is a crystalized statue. Now, either he has the loved one, mentioned above, to revive him from this state somehow, or we have a fast forward in the epilogue that shows the statue still there, become either forgotten, or put on display, or even become some kind of tourist attraction. And Harry's soul forever trapped within. Never to make it to the next world, or interact with this one again, either. Until someone can wake him.

o_O October 31st, 2003 8:56 pm

this is the MOST farfetched thing ever prolly, k well harry and volde have final battle, bla blah blah. ok now harry goesunconious cuz a stone pillar fell on him and muffled his hearing and all. now volde laughing cuz its perfect right? WRONG! peeves will come distract him and madam sprout will huck a mandrake pot with a mandrake at volde sprout an volde hear it they die and harry doesnt hear it cuz the stones made the cry sound like a muffled cry and he lives.... thank you......bye bye
:elaugh: :elaugh: :elaugh:

Phoenix_Fawkes October 31st, 2003 11:50 pm

HARRY TO LIVE! And to become Headmaster. Then JK could write a short seiries aout that. Or somehting I dont want Harry to die cause then that decreases our chances for a sequel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ncannie18 November 1st, 2003 12:40 am

I think it should be a LotR ending. Harry is over welmed by grief and walks through the veil (lotr-grey havens)

-Harry looked into Dumbledores sparkling blue eyes and saw a tear roll down his cheek. He knew he could not change Harrys mind.
Harry looked at his close friends and realized that he had caused too much pain. Dumbledore and Harry exchanged one last look and hug and Harry was goin back peacefully into the veil. He was going home. A life with family and friends, a life with out evil and terror. But the magical people would always remember Harry as the boy who lived, the man who defeated, the hope of the world, but most of all the one with the scar.

Maydeleat Greenly November 1st, 2003 8:09 pm

In my opinion, I think the best ending would be that Neville is actually "the one" lol but seeing as how that won't happen..... I hope Harry and Ron die ... I know it's awful but I like bitter endings that make you grieve like LOTR as someone pointed out so very well before. But if Harry doesn't die.... I hope he becomes the DADA teacher.

It would be rather satisfying. If Harry does die, I hope Hermione becomes a teacher at Hogwarts (transfiguration once McGonagall retires or whatever) and that she's married to Ron or something...... I think that Ron and Hermione fit the best because Hermione reminds me soooooo much like Mrs.Weasley.... it would be perfect! But I really hope Harry dies or Ron does. It would make me sick to see a pefect Harry and Hermione live happily ever after lol. And then Draco would become the Potions teacher and finally Snape would understand Harry though he would still be bitter.

While, Luna Lovegood gets with Neville or something and Ginny with Harry lol (dream on, eh?)

And then if Neville was "the one" when he kills voldemort he'll get a scar on his forehead just like Harry has .... and imo the one Dumbledore has from Grindewald (I swear he has a scar! just look people loooooooookkkk lol)

lol Ill stop ranting... I do that a lot

So many possible endings.... I just want a huge death... I want to be crying at the end dangit!

edit*
After reading all the other posts... I may have had a small change of heart. I still want a sad ending but perhaps...... if Harry lives it might be sadder then him dying. If he loses all his friends and such ... he'd be all alone and have to deal with this fact forever because of his scar

leenielou November 2nd, 2003 6:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonfly the 2nd
I think the best ending would be Harry's death. Harry and Voldemort should die killing each other, or Harry should be forced to kill himself to kill Voldemort. It wouldn't be sad at all, because Harry would be reunited with Sirius and his parents, and anybody else who dies. That would be an excellent ending, in my opinion. It's sort of a doomed "happily ever after."

I used to think this. I probably still do. Harry sacrificing himself for the good of mankind...it would be so sad, but so warming and happy, especially if he was reunited with those he loved and lost.

Alternatively, an ending that involved everyone together would be good too. But I just don't think that it will happen....:sad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra
For me it would be- the "boy who lived" became known as "the boy who died". You see, the best thing about this is that his death would be the very downfall of Voldemort as Voldemort would make the same mistake as before, of underestimating the protection that someone dying for you can make- so lets say Harry dies for someone he loves and the Voldemort claims "victory" and then kills off the person he was supposed to do in the first place, but only this time, the curse rebounds and this time, Voldemort has no immortality to protect him. Some nice fried Voldie.

My version of this was that if Harry sacrificed himself in some way for the world, then his strange and mysterious power of love would be unleashed from the MOM and protect everyone in the world. Therefore if Voldemort killed anyone he would die...or the survivors could all join together to kill him with supreme protection. :D Don't you love it when people think the same? Shows we're not insane...

Anyway, here's my ending that got lost a while ago on the old Very Ending thread:

'As the black clouds cleared, and the lightning that had torn the sky apart faded, Hermione and Ginny held hands tightly. Hermione, still bleeding from the intensity of the battle behind them, smiled weakly at Ginny as the tears fell from her brown eyes, attempting to hold back her own.
"He did it," she half whispered. "He saved us all."
The two got to their feet and gazed around at the remains of Hogwarts. The new sunlight fell all around them, highlighting the devastation, signalling an evil that was now past, but not forgotten. They picked their way over to their hero, the world's hero, who lay apart, eyes closed and breathing stilled.
"You did it Harry," Hermione said, taking his limp hand. "I hope you're with them now." She turned to face Ginny again, and both of their eyes widened in shock.
"What - " they both began, then both lifted a hand to their foreheads. On both were small, but perfect, feather shaped scars. And as the rest of the survivors began to make their way over, the lucid and pure phoenix song held in the fresh air. Everyone smiled through their tears, for they knew that from now on, every person born would bear the mark of love, the mark of sacrifice. Wizard or muggle, boy or girl, each would have the reminder of their saviour. A phoenix feather scar."

Myrddin November 2nd, 2003 9:01 pm

Harry not being able to preform magic after the 'battle'. So Harry would have just saved an existence he can't participate in.

eVaNeScEnCe November 2nd, 2003 9:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myrddin
Harry not being able to preform magic after the 'battle'. So Harry would have just saved an existence he can't participate in.

I think that's worse than him dying. :shrug:
while I don't necessarily want there to be a sugary and perfect "happily ever after" ending, there's no reason why it shouldn't be at least an *uplifting* one.

How about...? Ok, I really have no creative imagination for this. But I'm sure J.K. will think of some classic yet original.

Myrddin November 2nd, 2003 10:20 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eVaNeScEnCe
I think that's worse than him dying. :shrug:
while I don't necessarily want there to be a sugary and perfect "happily ever after" ending, there's no reason why it shouldn't be at least an *uplifting* one.

How about...? Ok, I really have no creative imagination for this. But I'm sure J.K. will think of some classic yet original.

Really? I thought it was better, if a little close to the cheap 'it was all a dream' ending. Harry gets to stay alive and since he's no longer a wizard there can be no more books.

KatieLBell November 2nd, 2003 10:54 pm

I really need the Disney ending. I've spend way to much of my life obsessed with these books for it to be a totally dark ending.
I would love for: Harry to defeat LV, for him to become an offical part of the Weasley Family, he and Ginny to live next door to Ron & Hermione, and for Harry to get the postion of DADA teacher instead of Snape. That would make me happy. Oh and Neville and his little cactus find a cure for all of those in St. Mungo's with permanant spell damage, and he could be the hero we already know he is.

CentaurFirenze November 3rd, 2003 12:58 am

I think the best ending would be Harry failing all of his classes and having to stay at hogwarts another year!!! Lower grades = more books!!!

Jill November 3rd, 2003 1:11 am

I think the best ending ever would be for Voldermort to die, Dumbledore to die, Harry, Hermione, Lupin and Snape to live.

I think Harry should become either Headmaster or an auror. Hermione should become an auror, shes smart enough and never rushes foolishly into anything.

If they do become aurors then further adult books could be made later on.

I think Snape will keep the potion masters job and still carry on moping about the DADA position. Now this is where it might get interesting, to see Snape have to grovel to Harry if Harry becomes the new headmaster at Hogwarts.

Lupin will possibly take the DADA job up once and for all, without anyone bothering that he is a werewolf.

Neville?

Now Neville, I think he might go on to teach Herbology at Hogwarts but I am not sure as to whether or not Neville will live through all of this, he could die.

Chewy November 3rd, 2003 9:30 pm

I Think Harry kills Voldermort and becomes teacher of DDA and later headmaster . And marries Ginny :D

Girl November 4th, 2003 10:51 am

I think that in the end Harry will defeat Voldermort but will also die. I know that this may not be a happy ending but in a way it will be happy foe Harry. If he dies then he will be reunited with his parents and Sirius. Also I don't think that Harry would be happy if he lived. If he lives then Harry would have to live with the fact that he killed someone, which would make him feel guilty and upset (even if he knows that Voldermort was evil). Harry does not seem like the type of person who could kill even if he knows the person is evil.
Also I'm sure that in the next two books other people who Harry cares about will die and Harry will feel like it's his fault.
So in a way with Harry dieing it will be sort of a happy ending, where Harry can at last rest and be with his family at last.

Kaonashi November 4th, 2003 5:10 pm

The only thing I really want to see is the LeStranges go BOOM.

Preferably by Neville. :D

eVaNeScEnCe November 4th, 2003 5:26 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girl
I think that in the end Harry will defeat Voldermort but will also die. I know that this may not be a happy ending but in a way it will be happy foe Harry. If he dies then he will be reunited with his parents and Sirius. Also I don't think that Harry would be happy if he lived. If he lives then Harry would have to live with the fact that he killed someone, which would make him feel guilty and upset (even if he knows that Voldermort was evil). Harry does not seem like the type of person who could kill even if he knows the person is evil.
Also I'm sure that in the next two books other people who Harry cares about will die and Harry will feel like it's his fault.
So in a way with Harry dieing it will be sort of a happy ending, where Harry can at last rest and be with his family at last.

I thought that at first as well: hey, let's have Harry die so he can be reunited with his parents and family. But then I realized that notion might be delving a little too much into spiritual/religious waters. Who's to say that Harry will be reunited with his parents after death? For those who don't believe in an afterlife, Harry's death will mean nothing more than the end of everything and therefore be greatly upsetting and disappointing. And honestly, I'm not sure J.K. is keen on sending out that message. HP just seems to me to be a series where the hero actually survives. But that's not to say other important characters will...

With that being said, I refer back to my original theory:
I'm not expecting a super happy ending, but there's no need for there not to be an uplifting one, and I think that will be the case in HP.

rozelle November 6th, 2003 5:00 am

the most spifftastic ending would be for everyone, magic and muggle alike, to settle their differences over a nice vat of fondue...

all i can hope for is an ending that doesnt completely ruin fan fiction.....also to those neato dudes and/or dudettes who were saying that if harry dies then his parents will have died in vain i dont think thats completely correct....i think that if he does his hero thing then dies then all is good and well but then again i dont really like harry too much so he can just die anyway.....hehe

Lupin_Lady November 6th, 2003 7:34 am

The perfect ending-

Harry and Draco defeating LV side by side
Ron getting the recognition he deserves
Hermione becoming head girl, then the first Mud Blood minister of magic
Lupin finding a nice girlfrined (ME!!) and Harry moving in with them
Neville curing his parents and becoming a great auror
Draco being forgiven for all wrong doing
Lucius being murdered by LV
Percy being murdered by Death Eaters
Ginny becoming very powerful and Harry's girl.

Yeahhhh, I could be happy with that!

Oh and Cho getting what she deserves!

Montbretia November 7th, 2003 11:47 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lellygreen1

what do you think?

As the first Chapter of the first book was "the Boy Who Lived", I think it would be rather nice for the final chapter in the final book to be entitled "The Man Who Lived" I really hope that Harry does kill Voldemort, but then goes on to lead a simple and uncomplicated life. Perhaps he could take over the Leaky Cauldren with Ginny Weasley (I would so like to see those two together) and produce 5 or 6 little Harries and Ginnies. :love:

Montbretia November 7th, 2003 11:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montbretia
As the first Chapter of the first book was "the Boy Who Lived", I think it would be rather nice for the final chapter in the final book to be entitled "The Man Who Lived" I really hope that Harry does kill Voldemort, but then goes on to lead a simple and uncomplicated life. Perhaps he could take over the Leaky Cauldren with Ginny Weasley (I would so like to see those two together) and produce 5 or 6 little Harries and Ginnies. :love:

Just to add to that - he will also get his own Chocolate Frog Card being one of the greatest Wizards of all time who defeated the Late Great Dark Lord Voldermort.:cool:

Montbretia November 8th, 2003 12:06 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin_Lady
The perfect ending-

Lupin finding a nice girlfrined (ME!!)

That could bring a whole new meaning to "sorry darling, Its the wrong time of the month!!";)

cleansweep11 November 8th, 2003 12:07 am

Now thats perfect............and Hermione and Ron would get togher................and Neville and Luna...........or Harry and Luna and Neville and Ginny.........its all good......oh wait!!! And Tonks and Stan Shunpike(of the night bus)

rotsiepots November 8th, 2003 1:11 am

I don't care for shipping, so if no-one ended up with anyone, that would be great. :D

Personally, I think the best possible ending is one that involves no loose ends. I don't want to be continuing to discuss aspects of the books for eternity; I'd rather JKR wrapped everything up nicely, explained everything we wanted to know and left it at that.

Dedalus Diggle November 8th, 2003 1:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotsiepots
I don't care for shipping, so if no-one ended up with anyone, that would be great. :D

Personally, I think the best possible ending is one that involves no loose ends. I don't want to be continuing to discuss aspects of the books for eternity; I'd rather JKR wrapped everything up nicely, explained everything we wanted to know and left it at that.

Yes, I could deal with some unfortunate deaths, a few marriages, a few people not quite being able to adjust to life after the war (*hem, hem, Harry*). But I want EVERY speculation on the COS forums answered when this is all done. We've made JKR the bloody richest woman in Britain and she's not done till she has answered every darned post here and given a personal review to every single fanfic!!!!!!!!! I don't think that's too much to ask for the galleons we've lined her vault with, eh?

schoolkid November 8th, 2003 8:09 am

I think the best ending would be that their would be no ending :evil:

Lupin_Lady November 8th, 2003 8:28 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montbretia
That could bring a whole new meaning to "sorry darling, Its the wrong time of the month!!";)

:rotfl: Ha ha ha hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :clap:

Lupin_Lady November 8th, 2003 8:32 am

[quote=The only thing I really want to see is the LeStranges go BOOM.

Preferably by Neville. QUOTE]

Hear Hear... and Umbridge too. But mainly Bellatrix.... oooooh I hate that :censored: !!!! :grumble:

Arkenziel November 8th, 2003 5:22 pm

I think the best ending should include:
- Voldemort and the DE being punished,
- the revealing of ALL character's backgrounds and lives,
- and the explaining off ALL clues and hints so that no end is left loose.

And I sincerely hope the *End* is NOT something like 'Harry conjured Gryffindor's sword and plunged it right through Voldemort's heart'... That would really be :grumble:

deadlocked November 9th, 2003 5:42 pm

Quote:

I think the best ending should include:
- Voldemort and the DE being punished,
- the revealing of ALL character's backgrounds and lives,
- and the explaining off ALL clues and hints so that no end is left loose.
i agree except that a huge battle between the DE and the order which the order win barely with DD dying. Then Harry kicks some Dark Lord ***!!

Chewy November 10th, 2003 5:35 pm

best ending

For Harry to live get married to Ginny become DDA prof and then later on become headmaster and have a nomral life after he kills Voldermont

Oo bUMbLE bEE oO November 11th, 2003 7:46 am

You know how in the very first chapter its titled "The Boy who Lived?" What if its reused in the last one as "The Boy who Lived"?

cleansweep11 November 11th, 2003 1:37 pm

Yah that would be pretty good to......I always liked "The man who lived" but I never liked thinking of harry as a man.........*shudders* I don't know why.....maybe cuz it means the end of the series......

Puffskein November 11th, 2003 5:50 pm

I want the series to end with Voldemort and the Death Eaters vanquished, so there will be an uplifting ending even if lots of people have to die to achieve it. I'd rather Harry and the other good characters don't die except for a good reason. Like Rotsie, I want the loose ends tied up, and I'd feel cheated if the book ended with the defeat of evil without describing its impact on everyone's lives. The battle might have costs as well as benefits.

eggplant November 11th, 2003 6:03 pm

The End.

The first chapter of the first book was called “The Boy Who Lived”, the last chapter of the last book will be called “The Man Who Died”.

Eggplant

NYCwitch920 November 11th, 2003 9:42 pm

I think that JKR will choose the best ending for the book. I trust her with that! ;) I don't think my imagination can parallel what she has in her head so I'm leaving it to the creator of the series. However, I would like to see Voldemort gone. Forever. End of story. :)

NeuroComp November 16th, 2003 11:59 am

The most glorious ending:
Like most of you have said, Harry dies,
Arthur is minister of Magic
Ron & Hermione get together as auror like *** mckinnons or longbottoms and to carry on harry's legacy
Neville, McGongall becomes head master/mistress.
Neville & Ginny.

The most happiest ending:
harry lives,
HARRY & GINNY, RON & HERMIONE all become auros
ARthur as minister,
McGongall becomes head master

The ok ending:
Harry lives, shrouds away from everyone wanting to be left alone
except for his closest friends

The Saddiest ending
Hermione dies trying to save RON, but both harry and ron live.

The most morbid
AD dies, Hagrid Dies, Lupin Dies, mcgonagall to be headmistress
arthur weasley to be minister, AND RON & hermione died trying to save harry who then finishes voldemort. And harry is left withthe pain of being alone again. BUt GInny is still there trying to help him.

The FUnniest ending
somone posted that he wakes up and he's still 11. THat's funny

koli November 17th, 2003 9:38 pm

I think the best ending for the series would be Harry to die in battle against Voldie. Like right after harry killed Voldie and he's all weak and such. It would be an honerable death. i woudln't be as happy if it was "and he lived happily ever after w/ blah blah blah ihis wife, and became and auror" not as dramatic...w/e we'll see what happens

RonnyBoy November 17th, 2003 9:50 pm

I think Harry dying would be the absolute dumbest thing that could happen. I could see Hagrid, Dumbledore, or Ron dying, however. I also don't think Voldemort should die - I agree with the member who said JK should leave it a mystery as to what happened.

Cheeseheads November 17th, 2003 9:55 pm

Quote:

I think that JKR will choose the best ending for the book. I trust her with that! I don't think my imagination can parallel what she has in her head so I'm leaving it to the creator of the series. However, I would like to see Voldemort gone. Forever. End of story.
Ya I agree 100 %. You guys can talk all you want about how the books will end, but I'm sure JKR is going to think of something completely different, leaving all of us satisfied. Ive seen too many good trilogies and book series finish with a bad with a boring ending. Also JKR will hopefully write a 8th book for charity telling us what happens to everyone once they leave school

cleansweep11 November 17th, 2003 10:21 pm

I do agree. I love speculating,but I leave it up to Jkr,the harry potter queen.

KatieLBell November 17th, 2003 10:50 pm

I really can't have Harry die. He will have gone thru to much to have it end that sad. We need alittle happiness for the "boy who lived." I know more people that Harry cares for will die, but he will handle it and carry on.

green22 November 18th, 2003 12:22 am

I can think of two ways there could be sad endings. One, Harry could die, two, he leaves all of his friends at Hogwarts.

JimmyPotter November 18th, 2003 2:20 am

I think that the series can end with Harry living and yet not be happily ever after. Even after Harry induces the death of Voldemort, that doesn't mean all the other Death Eaters will go away. Maybe Harry as an adult will be an auror fighting a new generation of Death Eaters led by Draco Malfoy.

histanegalad November 18th, 2003 6:27 am

Yeah, It would be ok for Harry to die. He would be such a celebrity if he survived. "Hey, Its harry potter: The boy who lived twice!" It just seems a bit odd. If JK made the book end with Harry waking up from a dream, I think that he would have to wake up with his mum and dad and Sirius and Lupin all round him (and he can't remember anything from his dream). That'd be cool. OR...

We find out Crookshanks has the head of Voldemort sticking out of his left paw. Harry gets his finger bitten off by Crookshanks and Chrookshanks falls to his doom into some random volcano. They all go home. They all die on the way home. The End.:evil:

You pick your favourite ;) Whatever JK thinks will blow our socks off is fine by me.

cleansweep11 November 18th, 2003 7:48 pm

Now that I think about it......if it all was a dream.....that would be a little Wizard of Oz like.......wouldn't it be?

djm November 18th, 2003 8:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheeseheads
Also JKR will hopefully write a 8th book for charity telling us what happens to everyone once they leave school

If Harry survives, there will be more books. The story might end but Harry and some other people will survive.

The best possible ending!?

That's very difficult. Of course, I want that Harry will survive because the moment Harry is dying would be a very very sad one.

A few posts above mine it was said, that JKR has sth. different in mind. So, why must the Story end in Hogwarts. She said that her will be a book for every year he's in Hogwarts. Maybe there are books about Harry becoming an auror fighting against Voldemort all the time.

Quote:

Now that I think about it......if it all was a dream.....that would be a little Wizard of Oz like.......wouldn't it be?

The "It was all just a dream" ending ist so overused that it would be the most boring ending that could happen...

KatieLBell November 18th, 2003 11:23 pm

Quote:

Oh no, Please not the wizard of oz / Dallas ending. I just couldn't handle that at all. JKR did hint of it once though in SS when Harry woke up that next morning after meeting Hagrid, he was sure it was all a dream. 7 year dream though seems alittle long and too organized. But we will see.

MaybeMemory November 19th, 2003 1:03 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by v@sh
IMO, if Harry dies it should be a heroic death where he defeats Voldemort. If he dies, then he will be able to finally return to his family. It would be fitting in a way that he is able to see his parents again.

But the other part of me says that I'd rather Harry live on and live the life he has always wanted - to be a normal wizard without the pressures of the world on him - be happy, enjoy life, and find love. It would be cruel to have him killed off with all that he has suffered throughout his life and then not for him to enjoy any of it once he defeats Voldemort. I reckon that would be the best possible ending and who knows if Luna has someway he can talk to his family behind the veil, he mighten need not to die.

How would Luna of all people find a way for him to talk to the family behind the veil. Speaking of the veil. I don't know exactly what it is. Whose voices did he hear from behind it and what would have happened if he had gone through it. Why couldnt Sirius come out? I NEED ANSWERS!