View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:12 am
Seventh Year

Re: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - General Speculation and Opinions v3

Ok I posted this in the Names and Places thread, but I hope it's ok to copy it here because this thread seems appropriate.

I found this text called The "History Of The Scottish Nation" by googling word "Gallow" and "Hallow" trying to find a connection between Hallows and a The Hanged Man motif. This source connects the word Gallow with Hallow - which I think is appropriate.

BUT....the source is rather archaic and religiously biased, so maybe questionable. However, I could see J.K.Rowling coming across this text in her research so tell what you guys think. It's By Rev. J. A. Wylie LL.D. and Published in 1886. (BTW: There is also a chapter (18) in this same History called "The Expedition of Severus" which describes a Vengeful Emperor Severus bent on avenging Rome against the Caldonian Mauraders.)

The author is talking about the etymology of the "Gallow Hills" that had the Druid circles and "Rocking Stones" that were used as places of judgment- often a place where the Druid Priests would Diviniate (by augury) and sometimes people were condemned to death.

Whether or not you buy the text in itself, The interesting fact about the "Rocking Stones" or "Tipping Stones" in history and gaelic Culture is the legend that came up about them. Because the rocks would vibrate under light pressure but could not be moved by a heavy force, a child (innocent) could move the stone where as a man or Army of Men could not (guilty- with sin.) They were considered to be a measure of sin in the person.

I found an online copy and will provide the link.

Quote:
From -History Of The Scottish Nation
Vol 1, Chapter 12 - Vitrified Forts; Rocking Stones; Druid's Circle; No Man's Land; Divination
Quote:
"..... By the help of these archaeological lights we can still identify many of those "high places" to which the Druid went up, that there be might have the future unveiled to himself, and be able to unveil it to others. The "Laws" and "Gallow-hills" scattered here and there all over our country attest by the name they bear that here were the divining places of the priests of the Scottish Baal. The name comes from a Gaelic word, gea-lia, which signifies "The Sorcery Stone," 8 now corrupted into gallow. The Gaelic words gea (sorcery), and lia (a stone) enter into a variety of combinations, and appear in many altered forms, but wherever we light upon them as the names of places we there behold the Druidic brand still uneffaced, though affixed so long ago, and most surely indicating that we are treading on what was once holy ground, and in times remote witnessed the vigils of the astrologer and the incantations of the soothsayer. It must be noted as confirmatory of this etymological interpretation, that theses laws and gallow-hills have the common accompaniment of a neighbourhood abounding in Druidic remains—pillar-stone or remains of circles.

The popular belief regarding these laws and gallow-hills is that in other days they were places of judgment and of execution,—in short, that here stood the gallows. But this is to mistake the etymological meaning of the name. The term is not gallows-hill and gallows-gate, but gallow-hill and gallow-gate. It is the Celtic gea-lia, and not the English vernacular, gallows, which is but of yesterday, compared with the olden and venerable word which has been corrupted into a sound so like that it has been mistaken for it. The name was affixed to these places long before the gallows had come into use as an instrument of capital punishment, and sentence of death was carried out on the criminal by the stone weapon, or by the yet more dreadful agency of fire.

Link: History of a Scottish Nation Vol 1. Ch. 12

Now, consider this and the connection to "The Hanged Man" motif which has been popping up all over the place.

1) When J.K. Rowling announced the Title of Deathly Hallows, visitors of her website could play a game of Hanged Man to get the name.

2) We see a magical game of Hanged Man in the Weasley twins Magic shop.

3) The "Hand of Glory" that Draco uses in HBP - by folklore is always a a lamp that is made from a Hanged Murderer's hand. Draco used this the night Severus Snape stole his "Glory" and murdered Dumbledore.

4) We see a game of Hanged Man scribbled by Ron inside the cover of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them"

5) We see images of the Hanged Man anytime someone uses the Levicorpus Spell- in particular Snape in his Worst Memory. Snape himself simulates the Tarot's card for a Hanged Man (Hung upside down by his ankles.)

Considering that Snape invented the spell- He could easily be associated with the image of the Tarot's Hanged Man, could he not? Snape is upside down by a tree and he "brought it on himself..." as Sirius says.

So we're talking Judgement day,

I don't think it Necessarily the hellfire and brimstone Apocolypse kind but of the self-atonement variety.

When you interpret the Tarot's story of The Hanged Man you get a much different story that a guy going to the Gallows. You get the vision of a Fool who is enlightened and aware of his inner self having given up his earthly desires for ultimate truth.

So I believe the "Judgement" Harry is facing in his own. In order to defeat Voldemort Harry will have to KNOW THYSELF. As Snape was telling him more or less in his Occlumency lessons- Every weakness, emotion, and desire Harry has in his mind - is a "weapon" against himself until he learns to Close it.
"Mouth closed- Mind SHUT Potter!"

This all leads the series full circle back to the Mirror of Erised- "The happiest man on earth would look in that mirror and see only himself."