View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2008, 5:09 pm
Gryffindor's Smiley Champion

Re: Hermione & Neville: In the Spotlight...or on the Spot?

While working for our campaign, I have been following the candidates and doing interviews and reporting a bit from the campaign trail. I have another episode that I am forced to share with you, whether Neville likes it or not!

As we toured the new broom factory that just opened, Neville was praising the innovations and came across the newest invention. We were told that it was inspired by muggle children’s roller skates. It was a pair of small brooms with very, very short handles. Before Neville quite understood what was happening, the inventor had offered him a pair and laid them on the ground in from of him.

“Uh, I’m not a great flyer,” Neville protested weakly, but I could see he was eager to try this new contraption.

“They are for children. I’m sure you’ll do fine,” Mr. Swift assured. “Just use body movements and thought and you’ll see they are more fun than a barrel of monkeys!”

Neville stepped forward onto the brooms and crouched a bit to keep his balance as they rose from the floor a few inches. Gingerly at first, he moved his feet as Mr. Swift demonstrated and was soon whizzing across the factory floor. He tried to turn as he reached the wall, but still brushed against it and windmilled his arms to keep his balance. Soon, though, he seemed to have gotten the hang of it and was racing circles around us as he laughed with pleasure.

Then I noticed his eyes widen. “Where are the brakes on these? I can’t get it to stop!”

Mr. Swift suddenly got a sheepish look. “Well, they are still experimental for a reason. We haven’t quite got that problem fully worked out yet.”

The look on Neville’s face at that point was priceless as he tried to determine how to get off the racing brooms without killing himself. By putting his arms out for drag and crouching low, he managed to slow himself down, then he gave a quick hop and lunged forward as he landed on the floor to catch the brooms.

The inventor’s eyes widened. “That was great! No one has managed to get off them without ending up on the floor. Can you show me how you did that again?”

Neville laughed and shook his head as he handed them back to Mr. Swift. “I’m afraid not. I have another appointment. Those were really fun. I hope you work out all the bugs and look forward to having a pair for myself when they are finished. Good luck!”

As we left, I pretended not to notice how Neville’s hands were shaking and instead, recalled how poised and in control he had looked as he had ridden the contraptions.

“Do you really want a pair of those?” I asked softly, trying not to laugh.

“Sure do,” he quickly replied. “They would help me make all these campaign stops and can you imagine how much easier they would make it for Hannah at the Leaky Cauldron? She could zoom up the stairs and down and around the tables. And to be honest, they were a lot of fun! Like muggle roller coasters,” he grinned.

I couldn't help thinking that this thread is called In the Spotlight or On the Spot, but our candidates are Spot On!

Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has manyŚnot on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.ŚCharles Dickens

Proud Gryffindor!
Liberals want big government to ensure they don't fail; conservatives want small government so they can succeed.
Davy Crockett learned a valuable lesson our current congress should learn.

Sponsored Links