View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2009, 7:59 am
Seventh Year

Re: Fan Scripts: Script your own version of Harry Potter

It's been quite a while since I've been in this thread, because for whatever reason I fell behind and abandoned the HBP script I was working on, but I'm back and here is the first portion of the one I'm working on now.

HBP scenes 1-3: SPINNER'S END/HORACE SLUGHORN/HARRY POTTER: THE CHOSEN ONE?:    

FADE IN
The WARNER BROS. logo moves toward camera through a strong dark mist that covers the sky.

PAN DOWN
EXT. MILLENIUM BRIDGE – MORNING
This mist surrounds the area of the crowded bridge itself as well. From one car radio we hear this part of a news report:

NEWSCASTER (V.O.)
Once again certain locations throughout Britain are being plagued by an inexplicable and strangely persistent mist. Several accidents and injuries have been reported of late due to this, and...

CUT TO
A few bus passengers look around curiously at the sound of a crumbling and shaking below. The bus comes to an abrupt halt.

DRIVER
Don't anybody worry, I'm sure it's nothing worry about.

All of a sudden the vehicle seems to implode: windows shatter, people are flung about, panic ensues.

CUT TO
EXT. MILLENIUM BRIDGE – SAME TIME
Complete devastation: the poles holding the bridge up come crashing down, cars are swiftly demolished, the mist animates and envelops the remainder of it, the entire structure collapses spectacularly, and several innocent lives are lost.

DISSOLVE TO
The DAILY PROPHET photo of this disaster appears over the headline "DEATH EATERS SUSPECT IN MUGGLE BRIDGE COLLAPSE.”

CUT TO
INT. DRAWING ROOM – LATE NIGHT
SEVERUS SNAPE folds the paper up, looking disgruntled. The drawing room around him is sparsely decorated, merely including a threadbare sofa, a rickety armchair, musty old bookshelves lining the walls, and a lamp hanging from the ceiling casting a dim blue light; it's as if no one has occupied this space in decades. Someone knocks at the door; SNAPE checks that the curtains are closed and moves to answer it.

CUT TO
INT. DRAWING ROOM – SAME TIME
SNAPE stands surrounded by two women in black robes: BELLATRIX LESTRANGE and another, with long blonde hair, pale skin, and cold, haughty features.

SNAPE
This is a rather late hour, but how pleasant to see the two of you here.

BELLATRIX
This is where you live, Snape? Filthy little muggle dunghill, isn't it?

SNAPE
I am sorry it doesn't appeal to your discriminating tastes, Bellatrix. What brings you here, Narcissa?

NARCISSA
Severus, it's my son. I know it was supposed to be secret, I know I shouldn't be here -

BELLATRIX
Then you ought to hold your tongue! Especially in present company.

NARCISSA
Bella, please!

SNAPE
Present company? You don't trust me, Bellatrix?

BELLATRIX
You know I don’t, Snape. And I think my sister’s better off not trusting someone who’s spent the last 16 years in Dumbledore’s pocket.

SNAPE
I was sent to collect information on Dumbledore and his school, or don’t you remember?

BELLATRIX
I remember - but you've stayed.

SNAPE
Yes, I’ve stayed. I was offered a safe haven at Hogwarts. Oddly enough, I preferred that to a cell amidst the dementors. And when The Dark Lord returned, I had 15 years of treasured secrets for him – a more appealing gift than the tales of how miserable Azkaban is, don’t you think?

BELLATRIX
And when he did return, why were you not at his side?

SNAPE
Because Dumbledore had instructed me to wait two hours - precisely two hours.

BELLATRIX
Dumbledore?

SNAPE
The old fool thinks me his spy, after all…

BELLATRIX
Then I guess the most important question is: why have you not killed Harry Potter when you’ve had him at your mercy for five years?

SNAPE
Much as I loathe the boy, it would be rather conspicuous if I murdered him over breakfast in The Great Hall. And let’s not forget, The Dark Lord wants Potter for himself.
(pause)
You would be foolish to think I hadn’t answered these questions to The Dark Lord himself. He trusts my judgment; you doubt his?

BELLATRIX
Of course not!

SNAPE
But don’t trust my words, trust this.

SNAPE lifts up his sleeve to reveal THE DARK MARK burned into his wrist.

NARCISSA
If you two are done…

SNAPE
Yes, I think we are.

NARCISSA
Severus, The Dark Lord has given my son a mission.

SNAPE
I already know of the plan.

NARCISSA
(tears on her face)
Then you know you must help him! It's just punishment for failing to retrieve the prophecy! He cannot succeed on his own!

BELLATRIX
You should be proud! If I had a son, I would gladly give him up to The Dark Lord.

SNAPE
I will try to watch over the boy.

BELLATRIX
Oh yes, you hear that, Cissy, he will try!

NARCISSA
That's not enough. I want you to take The Unbreakable Vow.

SNAPE and BELLATRIX look truly surprised.

BELLATRIX
Cissy, you must be joking, you can’t really believe he’d -

SNAPE
You are asking a great deal; an Unbreakable Vow is not to be taken lightly.

NARCISSA
Severus, please…

SNAPE pauses and, amazingly, replies:

SNAPE
Very well.

NARCISSA
Bella, we need a bonder.

BELLATRIX
You know I can’t play along with this.

NARCISSA
Please, Bella...for me.

SNAPE and NARCISSA stand in front of one another with BELLATRIX holding her wand at their clasped arms.

NARCISSA
Severus Snape, do you promise to watch over my son in his mission, to ensure his safety, and to complete his task yourself if he should fail?

SNAPE
I do.

A dazzling red light slithers around and binds their hands together like a rope. The red turns to a brilliant white and over it appears the title HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE.

PULL OUT and that white is now the light of a streetlamp on PRIVET DRIVE. Suddenly, the light is sucked out and into a silver device held in the hand of ALBUS DUMBLEDORE. The entire street is near pitch black now; DUMBLEDORE looks down to see HARRY POTTER walking toward him.

DUMBLEDORE
Harry, I’m glad you came.

HARRY
Of course. But where are we going, sir?

DUMBLEDORE
We’re going to meet with a former colleague of mine. Now, am I right that you don’t have your apparition license yet?

HARRY
No. Don’t you have to be 17?

DUMBLEDORE
That’s correct. Hold onto my arm then – the left, if you would.

He gestures with his right arm and we see that it has been rather mangled, looking blackened and withered; a black ring with a cracked stone in the center now decorates the middle finger.

HARRY
What happened to it?

DUMBLEDORE
Oh, it is an enthralling tale – one best left for another time.

He reaches his arm out, HARRY takes it, and instantly their grip comes loose, the frame itself seems to compress and contract, sound drops out, and the colors behind seem hazy. Seconds later, all is normal again as HARRY stumbles up from the ground.

DUMBLEDORE
Are you alright?

HARRY
Yeah…although, I think I prefer a broom.
(DUMBLEDORE smiles.)
Where are we?

DUMBLEDORE
This, Harry, is the charming village of Budleigh Babberton. Follow me.

HARRY and DUMBLEDORE make their way through the neighborhood, past an old war memorial in front of a church and a number of private cottages and gardens.

HARRY
Sir, is it true that Cornelius Fudge has been sacked?

DUMBLEDORE
Actually, he resigned. Rufus Scrimgeour has been assigned Minister in his place.

HARRY
Is he any good?

DUMBLEDORE
Interesting question. Certainly he is capable. He used to head the auror department, so he has more combat experience than Cornelius – and that is not insignificant at this time.

HARRY
I think I’d prefer just about anyone over Fudge.

DUMBLEDORE
I daresay many would agree. Tell me, Harry, has your scar been hurting lately? Have you had any…visions?

HARRY
No, nothing since…Which is weird, I figured, now that Voldemort is getting more and more powerful again, my scar would be burning all the time.

DUMBLEDORE
I thought otherwise. It is my belief that, after his attempt to take possession of your body, Voldemort has realized the dangerous level of access you have to his thoughts and feelings, and is trying to keep you out.

HARRY
Well, I’m not complaining.

DUMBLEDORE
This is it. Oh my…

DUMBLEDORE stops in his tracks at a home with a great deal of smoke rising from the chimney, windows broken, small fires lingering in the garden, and the front door hanging off its hinges.

DUMBLEDORE
(taking out his wand)
Harry, take out your wand.

CUT TO
HARRY and DUMBLEDORE have their wands raised and illuminated as they enter the house and see further devastation: a chandelier fallen to the floor, shards of glass sprinkled throughout the room, seat cushions slashed, feathers all around, a grandfather clock lying on its side in the corner, and blood splattered on parts of the walls.

HARRY
What d’you think happened?

DUMBLEDORE turns and eyes a strangely rotund armchair; he points his wand toward it, mutters the incantation “specialus revelio,” and the armchair has become a very large, bald man in maroon velvet. He looks up at DUMBLEDORE in surprise (‘though not as surprised as HARRY).

OLD MAN
Albus! How on Earth did you find me?!

DUMBLEDORE
My dear Horace, if the Death Eaters had come to call, surely they’d have left a Mark.

HORACE
The Dark Mark, I knew there was something!

DUMBLEDORE
Hmm – would you like my help cleaning up?

HORACE
Please.

In a few seconds, the entire room is restored: the door is returned to its hinges, the upholstery is sewn back up, the chandelier (and the shards of glass sprayed about) flies back up to the ceiling, the grandfather clock is lifted back up, and the blood is wiped away.

HORACE
Yes, there we are.

DUMBLEDORE
These precautions…are they for the Death Eaters’ benefit or mine?

HORACE
Oh please, Albus, what would the Death Eaters want with a broken-down old buffer like me?

DUMBLEDORE
I’m sure they could find a use for your talents – or your knowledge.

He and HORACE exchange a meaningful look before the latter takes notice of HARRY.

HORACE
Oh, so that’s how you thought you’d convince me, is it?

DUMBLEDORE
Oh, how rude of me; Harry, this is Horace Slughorn; Horace, this is –

SLUGHORN
(with the typical awe)
- Harry Potter.

HARRY
Hi, good to meet you.
(pause)
So, that blood on the walls?

SLUGHORN
Oh, dragon. Yes, extraordinarily valuable, dragon’s blood – 12 uses, if I’m not mistaken. Unfortunately, that was my last bottle.
(eyeing DUMBLEDORE again)
Well, anyway, I haven’t given them the chance; I’ve been on the move for some time now, never in the same place twice. You can never be sure where your enemies are these days.

DUMBLEDORE
Sounds rather exhausting for a broken-down old buffer.

SLUGHORN
If this is where you plan to tell me how much safer it is at Hogwarts, save it, you cannot convince me.

DUMBLEDORE
Very well. Before we leave, do you have a bathroom I could use?

SLUGHORN
Yes, it’s to your left down the hall.

DUMBLEDORE exits, leaving HARRY and SLUGHORN alone. SLUGHORN’s eyes stay fixed on HARRY’s forehead – specifically that scar.

SLUGHORN
You look very like your father, you know. Not the eyes, of course, you have your –

HARRY
- mother’s eyes, I’ve heard.

SLUGHORN
Yes, well…a teacher shouldn’t have favorites, obviously, but I’ll tell you a secret: your mother was mine. I always wished she had been in my House.

HARRY
Which was your House?

SLUGHORN
I was head of Slytherin.

HARRY
Oh.

SLUGHORN
Don’t hold it against me now. You’ll be Gryffindor like her, I suppose?

HARRY
Yeah.

SLUGHORN
Yes, it usually goes that way with families. Although another prized pupil of mine, Sirius Black, he was in Gryffindor.

SLUGHORN is not facing HARRY, therefore he doesn’t notice the slightly pained look on his face at the casual mention of SIRIUS’ name.

SLUGHORN
The whole of the Black family – including his brother Regulus, at the same time – were Slytherin, except Sirius. I’d have liked the set.
(pause)
Your mother was muggle-born, of course. Blew me away when I found out, thought she must have been pureblood, she was so good.

HARRY
One of my best friends is muggle-born and she’s the best in our year.

SLUGHORN
Funny how that sometimes happens.

HARRY.
Not really.

SLUGHORN
Oh, you mustn’t think me prejudiced! I have just said she was my favorite student, after all.

HARRY
Mr. Slughorn, can I ask…why don’t you want to come back to Hogwarts?

SLUGHORN
Look, it’s all very well for Dumbledore to talk, but a sensible wizard must keep his head down in times like these. Taking back my post there would be tantamount to declaring my allegiance to The Order of the Phoenix, and while I’m sure they’re very noble and brave and all the rest, I don’t fancy the mortality rate!

HARRY
Actually, most of the teachers at Hogwarts don’t have anything to do with the Order – and Voldemort hasn't killed any of them as far as I know. And as I understand it, there are loads of new defensive spells over the school now – plus there’s always Dumbledore, so I reckon Hogwarts is probably the safest place to be.

SLUGHORN
Dumbledore was very weakened after he fought He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named at the Ministry, it was all over the papers. I don’t know, I still think laying low…

HARRY
Look, if there’s anyone who should be staying away from Hogwarts because it’s not safe, it’s me, right?

SLUGHORN
(with a chuckle)
I suppose that’s right.

DUMBLEDORE then returns to the living room.

DUMBLEDORE
Some lovely muggle magazines here, Horace. I do enjoy knitting patterns. Ready to go, Harry?

SLUGHORN
Alright, I’ll do it!

DUMBLEDORE
I’m sorry?

SLUGHORN
I’ll go back! Perhaps I’m going mad in my age, but I’ve decided.

DUMBLEDORE
Wonderful!

SLUGHORN
Of course I’ll expect a pay rise.

DUMBLEDORE
Naturally.

CUT TO
DUMBLEDORE and HARRY have left and are returning on the wooded path.

DUMBLEDORE
Well done, Harry. It seems you convinced Horace – or rather, Professor Slughorn now.

HARRY
I know what you were doing: leaving us alone, so that I would convince him myself. You could have just told me that was the plan.

DUMBLEDORE
I don’t think it would have been as effective then. And a good plan it was.

CUT TO
EXT. THE BURROW – MOMENTS LATER
HARRY and DUMBLEDORE apparate in front of THE BURROW’s back door.

DUMBLEDORE
Harry, before you we part, I know you will not like hearing it, but I want to say how well you seem to be dealing with everything that happened at the Ministry. I think Sirius would be proud of you; certainly I am.

HARRY struggles a bit to find the words.

HARRY
It’s just so hard, to know that I’ll never see him again, he’ll never talk to me again. It’s like I kept waiting to find out it wasn’t real, that he’d faked it for the sake of some mission…

DUMBLEDORE
It’s cruel that you two had so little time together.

HARRY
When I was at my aunt and uncle’s I was thinking how easy it is to just shut myself up, let life go by…but then that’s the last thing Sirius would want, isn’t it?

DUMBLEDORE
An admirable sentiment. Now, let’s not deprive Molly of the chance to deplore how thin you are.

CUT TO
INT. THE BURROW – KITCHEN – THE NEXT MORNING
HARRY comes down the spiral staircase, where RON, HERMIONE, and MRS. WEASLEY are gathered around the table.

RON (O.S.)
Only you would flip out that you got 11 OWLs, only you.

HERMIONE
I didn’t flip out, it’s just…interesting. Hi, Harry.

RON
Hey, Harry.

HARRY
Hey.

MRS. WEASLEY
Morning, Harry dear.

HARRY
Morning, Mrs. Weasley.

GINNY comes in and quickly walks over to HARRY, giving him a somewhat surprising hug.

GINNY
Harry! When did you get here?

HARRY
Just last night; Dumbledore brought me.

RON
Dumbledore? Whoa, what happened?

HARRY
(sitting down)
I’ll tell you later.

HERMIONE
How are you?

HARRY
(in that “I don’t want to talk about it” way)
I’m fine.

Someone knocks at the door three times sharply, and MRS. WEASLEY goes to answer it.

MRS. WEASLEY
That’ll be Arthur.

She reaches for the knob, but the person on the other side, MR. WEASLEY, says:

MR. WEASLEY (O.S.)
No, Molly, ask the question!

MRS. WEASLEY
Oh, Arthur, this is ridiculous!

MR. WEASLEY
Not if you want to be sure your husband is on the other side of this door.

GINNY
(to HARRY)
It’s new Ministry procedure. They’re putting out all these new security advisory memos.

MRS. WEASLEY
Fine, what is your deepest desire in life?

MR. WEASLEY (O.S.)
To find out how airplanes stay up. Now, what do you like me to call you when we’re alone together?

MRS. WEASLEY
Arthur, you changed it!
(whispered, and horrified)
Mollywobbles.

HARRY and GINNY exchange a look that’s half-amused and half-“I didn’t want to hear that.” ARTHUR comes in and takes his seat.

MR. WEASLEY
Hello, Harry.

HARRY
Mr. Weasley. So, where are Fred and George?

GINNY
Oh, they’ve got a place in Diagon Alley – above their joke shop.

HARRY
Those two with a joke shop? Sounds brilliant!

RON
Yeah, it does, but we haven’t had the chance to go yet.

MR. WEASLEY
If it was safe to go to Diagon Alley, we would.

MRS. WEASLEY
No word on Ollivander then?

MR. WEASLEY
None, and his shop’s been boarded up for weeks.

HARRY
Ollivander? He’s the one who sold me my wand.

MR. WEASLEY
You and the rest of London.

RON
He’s disappeared; they suspect You-Know-Who wants him for something.

MR. WEASLEY
Voldemort's grasp is growing by leaps and bounds each day; and he's not just trying to control the wizarding world, he's after the muggles as well. That hurricane in Kent yesterday...well, let's just say that was no hurricane.

HERMIONE
Is it true about the dementors then, that the Ministry's lost control of them?

MR. WEASLEY
Oh, the dementors haven't served the Ministry for some time.

HARRY
Surely the Order is doing something.

MR. WEASLEY
We're trying the best we can, of course, but I won't deny, we're losing men. Emmeline Vance was killed last week. And with the Carrows out of Azkaban now...

GINNY
I can’t believe it’s all happening again.

MR. WEASLEY
And Harry, you’ll want to see this.

He reaches over and passes HARRY a copy of THE DAILY PROPHET with the front-page headline “HARRY POTTER: THE CHOSEN ONE?”

HARRY
(to RON and HERMIONE)
I need to talk to you two.

CUT TO
INT. THE BURROW – RON’S BEDROOM - MOMENTS LATER

HERMIONE
(holding the copy of the PROPHET)
What a shock, the Prophet’s writing fiction about you.

HARRY
Actually, they’ve finally got it right.

RON
What do you mean?

HARRY
I mean there was a prophecy, and it did say that only one of us - me or Voldemort - could survive. One of us is going to have to kill the other, there's no way around it.

RON and HERMIONE share stunned looks.

HERMIONE
Oh, Harry, I can't imagine how terrified you must be.

HARRY
Well...we've always known it would come to this, really, haven't we?

RON
Blimey – how are you supposed to prepare for something like that?

HARRY
If I knew, I’d be doing it.

RON
Well, no pressure, right?

HARRY
Right.

HERMIONE
Just because it's a prophecy doesn't mean it's going to happen. It's divination, it's all rather rubbish, after all. We can't just take this at face value.

HARRY
We?

HERMIONE
Can't very well let you go off on your own, now can we?

RON
Should be another relaxing year then.

HARRY
You know me: I like a quiet life.

RON and HERMIONE laugh.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; July 13th, 2009 at 4:24 am.
Sponsored Links