View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2009, 4:48 am
Seventh Year

Re: Fan Scripts: Script your own version of Harry Potter

HBP scenes 4-6: CONFRONTATION AT KING'S CROSS/DRACO'S SECRET/SNAPE VICTORIOUS:    

CUT TO
EXT. KING’S CROSS STATION – MORNING
It’s the usual crowd of students old and new and their families saying goodbye as they board the HOGWARTS EXPRESS. RON and HERMIONE go onboard.

HARRY
Go on, I just need to grab Hedwig.

Walking past a pillar on his way to the cart with HEDWIG’s cage, he hears DRACO MALFOY talking to CRABBE and GOYLE about something in a stage whisper.

MALFOY
I told Borgin to hold it for me there, of course!

GOYLE
Why didn’t you just take it with you?

MALFOY
This isn’t kid stuff, Goyle! I can’t exactly be seen with it.

CRABBE gestures his head to let MALFOY know that HARRY is listening in; MALFOY swaggers over to him with his wand at the ready.

MALFOY
Eavesdropping, were you, Potter? My father’s in Azkaban because of you and you’re going to pay for it, Chosen One.

HARRY
Your father deserved what he got – I’m sure the dementors are taking good care of him.

MALFOY raises his wand to HARRY’s throat and HARRY draws his, but a familiar female voice says:

NARCISSA
Put those away.

It’s NARCISSA, apparently NARCISSA MALFOY, looking far more sinister and commanding than earlier.

NARCISSA
Potter, I assure you that if you attack my son, it will be the last thing you ever do.

MALFOY
Mother, I don’t need –

NARCISSA
Quiet, Draco.

HARRY
Is that right? Going to send some of your Death Eater pals after me, are you? Well, let’s have a go, maybe you can get a double cell with your loser of a husband!

MALFOY
How dare you!

NARCISSA
I can see that being Dumbledore’s favorite has given you quite the opinion of yourself. No matter, I expect you’ll be reunited with Sirius Black soon enough. Go on Draco, you don’t want to miss the train.

They turn away, leaving HARRY seething in anger.

CUT TO
The HOGWARTS EXPRESS travels through hills that would be beautiful if they weren’t covered in that bleak mist.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS EXPRESS – TRIO’S CABIN

HERMIONE
What exactly did he say?

HARRY
I don’t think I caught all of it, but it was something about having Borgin keeping something for him, something that he couldn’t be seen carrying out.

HERMIONE
That’s it?

HARRY
What do you mean “that’s it?”

RON
Well, wait, who’s Borgin?

HARRY
You remember when I got lost in Knockturn Alley the first time I used Floo powder? Borgin is the owner of one of the shops there, it’s full of dark-magic artifacts and tools. If Malfoy’s got something on hold there, it can’t be good.

HERMIONE
Isn’t it odd that he’d talk to Crabbe and Goyle about this in the middle of King’s Cross though? Even if he was sort of whispering?

HARRY
Yeah, but Malfoy’s not exactly the brightest wand, is he?

HERMIONE
Still…

HARRY
So I’m the only one concerned about this?

RON
No, it’s just – maybe if we’d been there -

The glass door to their compartment opens, and there’s NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM, with LUNA LOVEGOOD standing behind him.

NEVILLE
Hi, guys.

HARRY, RON, & HERMIONE
Hey, Neville.

NEVILLE
Can we sit here? The rest is full.

HARRY
Yeah, sure.

LUNA
Hello, Harry, Ron, Hermione.

HARRY & HERMIONE
Hey, Luna.

RON
Hi.

The two take their seats; LUNA is wearing a pair of oversize, owl’s eye-shaped glasses with jewel frames.

RON
(pointing at them)
What are those?

LUNA
Oh, these are Spectrespecs; they were free in the back of this Quibbler.

RON
Right.

HARRY
Hey, where’s Ginny?

RON glances at HARRY curiously.

NEVILLE
I saw her sitting with Dean Thomas a little way from here. So, are we still doing D.A. meetings this year, Harry?

HARRY
I don’t really see the point now that Umbridge is gone.

NEVILLE
Oh. I really enjoyed them, though, learned loads from you.

LUNA
I liked them too. It was like having friends.

The awkward silence is broken when a nervous-looking girl with dark hair opens the door.

GIRL
Hi, Harry, I’m Romilda – Romilda Vane. A Professor Slugthorn – Slughorn – wants to see you and a Neville Longbottom in his cabin, in the back.

HARRY
Oh. Why?

ROMILDA
He didn’t say. Um, you know there’s a seat in my compartment, you don’t have to sit with those people.

HARRY
“These people” are my friends.

ROMILDA
Oh. Okay, ‘bye then.
(She exits.)

LUNA
People expect you to have cooler friends than us.

HARRY
You are cool. I didn’t see any of them at the Ministry with us.

LUNA
That’s a nice thing to say.

HERMIONE
Professor Slughorn, that’s the teacher Dumbledore took you to meet, isn’t it?

HARRY
Yeah – you suppose he’s teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts?

HERMIONE
What else?

HARRY
(to NEVILLE)
I guess we’d better get going then.

NEVILLE
Wonder why he’d want to see me.

RON
Later.

CUT TO
HARRY sees CRABBE ahead of him bullying a first-year and seems to get an idea.

HARRY
(to NEVILLE)
Go on, I’ll catch up.

NEVILLE goes into the cabin behind them while HARRY takes out his wand, points it at himself, and mutters the incantation “invisio,” and darts into CRABBE’s cabin just behind him. Blending into his surroundings like camouflage, he drops to the floor and keeps as low under the seat as possible. CRABBE and GOYLE sit on one side, MALFOY and a raven-haired SLYTHERIN girl on another. MALFOY lies on her lap in a cocky sort of way as she plays with his hair.

MALFOY
I may not even be at Hogwarts next year, Pansy.

PANSY
What do you mean?

MALFOY
(sitting up)
I mean I may be moving on to bigger and better things.

GOYLE
You mean him?

MALFOY
Well, mother wants me to finish school, but really, when The Dark Lord takes over, do you think he’s going to care how many OWLs you’ve got? No, it’ll be all about the service, about how loyal you were to him.

PANSY
And you think you’ll be able to do something for him?

MALFOY
I’ve just said, haven’t I? Maybe the job he has for me isn’t something you need to be qualified for.

The look on HARRY’s face betrays a shock and thrill at hearing this.

CRABBE
Like what?

MALFOY
I can’t tell you any more now, Potter may be listening in again, but let’s just say…I’ve got a plan, and there may not be a Hogwarts to go back to after it.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS EXPRESS – NIGHT
The flood of students in the corridor is dying down as MALFOY is about to leave the compartment right behind PANSY.

MALFOY
See you in The Great Hall.

He shuts the door behind him. HARRY is still down on the floor, looking anxious that MALFOY will spot him. A shot from HARRY’s P.O.V. shows MALFOY’s shoe coming closer to his face just before it sends a strong kick to HARRY’s nose, breaking it on the spot. MALFOY kneels down beside him.

MALFOY
Think I didn’t know it was you, Potter? Don’t worry; you didn’t hear anything I care about. Petrificus totalus!

In an instant, HARRY is frozen stiff; the only part of him able to move is his head.

MALFOY
That’s from my father. I reckon they won’t find you ‘til the train’s back in London. Enjoy the trip.

MALFOY strolls out of the compartment arrogantly.

CUT TO
EXT. HOGSMEADE STATION – SAME TIME
The HOGWARTS EXPRESS starts up again.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS EXPRESS – - HELM - SAME TIME
The driver of the train returns to the helm.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS EXPRESS – MALFOY’S CABIN – SAME TIME
HARRY lies on the ground, blood falling off his face, paralyzed and helpless.

CUT TO
EXT. HOGSMEADE STATION – SAME TIME
A witch or wizard cloaked in shadow sends a silver light bursting from their wand toward the castle and then walks toward the train.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS EXPRESS – MALFOY’S CABIN – SAME TIME
The door slides open again; a woman with short, mousy brown hair looks around a bit then shouts “finite incantatem!” At once, HARRY’s body is reanimated and the camouflage effect ceases.

HARRY
Tonks!

TONKS
Come on, Harry, we’ll have to jump off.

CUT TO
HARRY and TONKS are heading back to the castle (the former’s nose now repaired as well).

HARRY
Thanks!

TONKS
Don’t mention it.

HARRY
How’d you find me?

TONKS
I was waiting for everyone to get off the train. Not hard to notice that you were missing.

HARRY
Why are you here, at Hogwarts?

TONKS
Dumbledore’s sent a few of us in the Order to guard the castle directly. Who did that to you anyway?

HARRY
Draco Malfoy.

TONKS
Lovely family.

HARRY
Can I tell you something?

TONKS
What?

HARRY
Well, I heard him talking in there about -

Unexpectedly, SNAPE shows up in front of them there.

SNAPE
I’ll show Potter in from here, if that’s alright.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS – THE GREAT HALL – SAME TIME
DUMBLEDORE stands before the crowd to give his usual address. Also at the staff table are PROFESSORS McGONAGALL, HAGRID, FLITWICK, and SLUGHORN.

DUMBLEDORE
Before we begin our splendid feast, I would like to say a few words: Nitwit. Blubber. Oddment. Tweak.
(He sits down.)

RON and HERMIONE look puzzled. He turns to her and mutters:

RON
He’s really gone off his nutter now.

HARRY walks to their table and sits down next to them.

HERMIONE
Harry, where have you been?!

HARRY
I’ll explain later.

MALFOY does a double-take and notices HARRY, throwing him a look of real disgust.

DUMBLEDORE
(He stands back up.)
Perhaps a few more. I do not need to remind any of you that we live in the darkest of times. Every day, every hour, dark forces attempt to penetrate these walls…

CUT TO
EXT. HOGWARTS – FRONT GATES – SAME TIME
TONKS and KINGSLEY SHACKLEBOLT stand at the wrought-iron gates; they look around in suspicion at the sound of a ripple in the air.

TONKS
You hear that?

KINGSLEY
You head back to the train station, I’ll stay here.

CUT TO

DUMBLEDORE
This castle is now armed with every protective enchantment that is available to us. In addition, our caretaker Mr. Filch will be searching each and every individual who enters or exits this castle by Secrecy Sensor, in an attempt to detect any illegal items or substances.

CUT TO
EXT. HOGWARTS – SAME TIME
OVERHEAD SHOT: several DEATH EATERS appear out of thin air attempting to apparate down to the grounds, but they are repelled by a hidden force field and blasted back.

CUT TO
EXT. HOGWARTS – FRONT GATES – SAME TIME
Two DEATH EATERS land down in front of KINGSLEY and engage in combat with him.

CUT TO

DUMBLEDORE
Times like these, they can bring people together…or tear them apart. Hogwarts has always sought to promote diversity and friendly competition by separating its students into four Houses, but we must show our enemies that we do not fall divided but stand united – for this is the greatest strength we possess.

CUT TO
EXT. HOGWARTS – BRIDGE – SAME TIME
A DEATH EATER starts along the bridge, looking rather pleased with himself. All of a sudden the structure begins to shake, the DEATH EATER hovers above ground, and ropes appear to bound him in midair.

CUT TO
EXT. HOGWARTS – FORBIDDEN FOREST – SAME TIME
BELLATRIX LESTRANGE runs through the forest excitedly; she stops in her tracks and an impenetrable ring of fire surrounds her.

BELLATRIX
(cackling)
Please.

She blows a gust of cold air and the fire turns to ice – ice that becomes a small avalanche of water that envelops and traps her there.

CUT TO

DUMBLEDORE
Now, in happier news, we have some changes in staff this year: I am pleased to announce that our old friend Professor Horace Slughorn has returned to his post as Potions master.

SLUGHORN stands up and takes a bow. The crowd reacts in surprise, muttering reactions about what happened to SNAPE and who’s teaching DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS.

DUMBLEDORE
Attention, if you please! As we have been left with our usual vacancy in Defense Against the Dark Arts, I am just as pleased to announce that Professor Snape will take on the position.

The reaction to this news is a bit more diverse; some people cheer, some shout in anger, some are merely confused. HARRY looks almost violated; SNAPE looks smug in his victory (as does MALFOY).

DUMBLEDORE
That is all! Enjoy the feast!

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS - GRYFFINDOR COMMON ROOM - NIGHT
HARRY, RON, and HERMIONE walk over to the fireside corner of the common room.

HARRY
All this time and he gives Snape the job now?! What does Dumbledore think he’s playing at?!

RON
I don’t know, it’s weird. I’ll say it: I think he’s losing his mind.

HERMIONE
Please, Ron…I’ll admit, it is surprising.

HARRY
Snape was a Death Eater! And you don’t stop being a Death Eater! Look at his wrist, I’m sure he’s got the Dark Mark right there!

HERMIONE
Look, we know what you saw in Dumbledore’s pensieve, but he’s let Snape teach Potions here for this long, so there must be a good reason he’s given him the Defense Against the Dark Arts job, right?

HARRY
Yeah. There must be…

So in case I have some explaining to do, here it is: I moved the confrontation with Malfoy and Narcissa to King's Cross because...well, primarily because I couldn't make the scene at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes work (for me, anyway), and also because I never did buy Harry going into Borgin & Burke's after Malfoy just because he saw him walking around without his mum. Plus, I think it makes Malfoy look more arrogant and careless, which is a plus. I cut the Slug Club in the interest of responding to that confrontation outside faster. And because there was no reaction in Goblet of Fire to the rather significant news that Snape was a DEATH EATER, I wrote that little scene in the Gryff common room. Also, I got rid of Narcissa's line about Dumbledore not being around forever because it just insanely telegraphed the ending.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; July 9th, 2009 at 9:24 pm.
Sponsored Links