View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2009, 6:10 am
Seventh Year

Re: Fan Scripts: Script your own version of Harry Potter

HBP scenes 16-19: THE CHRISTMAS PARTY/THE UNBREAKABLE VOW/FENRIR GREYBACK/THE NEW MINISTER:    

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS – LIBRARY
HARRY and RON are both seated with books open; RON pays no attention to his, HARRY pages through THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE’s copy of ADVANCED POTION-MAKING intently.

RON
You know, Hermione can’t complain, it’s not like – I mean, she snogged Krum, so someone wants snog me now, I’m a free agent.

HARRY
Mmm-hmm.

RON
Alright, so I said I’d go with her to Slughorn’s Christmas party, but…only as friends, right?

HARRY
Right.

SMASH CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS – LIBRARY
The exact same setup, only now HARRY is seated next to HERMIONE.

HERMIONE
I mean, it was just as friends, of course, but…you heard him say he wanted to go, didn’t you?

HARRY
Yeah.

HERMIONE
All of a sudden, he starts acting so odd - are you listening?

HARRY
Yeah.

She reaches over and closes THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE’s book.

HERMIONE
The way you’ve been staring at that thing I’d expect you’ve memorized it by now. And to think Professor Slughorn thinks you’re a genius in Potions.

HARRY
Well, I’m not about to correct him.

HERMIONE
Speaking of, it’s about time you ask someone to Slughorn’s party. I overheard Romilda Vane in the bathroom and it sounds like she's going to try her hand at a love potion.

HARRY looks across to GINNY studying at the table in front of them.

HARRY
There’s not really anyone I want to go with…Wait, actually, I’ve just thought of someone.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS – SLUGHORN’S OFFICE
HARRY and LUNA walk into SLUGHORN’s office together, HARRY wearing dress robes, LUNA a spangled silver dress (and thankfully no butterbeer cork necklace or SPECTRESPECS). The room has been magically expanded for the party, and it is indeed crowded – some familiar faces like MARCUS BELBY and PROFESSOR FLITWICK, but plenty of new ones as well; the sounds of conversation, laughter, and mandolin music fill the office. Emerald, crimson, and gold hangings decorate the walls like the inside of a tent, and real fairies flutter around, brilliant specks of light.

HARRY
Wow.

LUNA
It’s very nice, isn’t it?

SLUGHORN
Ah Harry, there you are!

SLUGHORN, wearing a purple velvet smoking jacket, leads HARRY (and LUNA) further into the party.

SLUGHORN
Here, I’d like you to meet Eldred Worple, one of the very finest authors around if I do say so myself – oh, and this is our friend Sanguini.

ELDRED WORPLE
It’s a privilege to meet you, Mr. Potter.

HARRY
Nice to meet you.

WORPLE, a stiff, business-like sort, shakes HARRY’s hand, SANGUINI only nods. SANGUINI is a vampire, the classic vampire – palest-white skin, dark, slicked-back hair, and cloaked.

HARRY
(to SANGUINI)
Hi.

LUNA
I’ve never met a vampire before; tell me, Mr. Sanguini, do you know the Minister? I understand he’s a vampire too.

HARRY laughs then tries to pass it off as a cough.

ELDRED WORPLE
Harry Potter…You know, I was just saying to Horace, “where is the biography of Harry Potter for which we have all been waiting?”

HARRY
Were you?

ELDRED WORPLE
Yes, I would be delighted to write it myself. People are craving to know all about you, I’m sure we could have it out in a few months, if we work in four-or-five-hour sessions.

SANGUINI strays away, to a pack of girls near them.

ELDRED WORPLE
Sanguini, stay here!

HARRY
I’m not really interested, but, um, thanks anyway. Come on, Luna, I think I just saw Hermione.

LUNA
Goodbye.

SLUGHORN
You will come ‘round this way again, though? There are more people I must introduce you to, Harry!

HARRY and LUNA do walk over to HERMIONE; she looks just above her and steps just a couple inches off to clear out of the mistletoe.

HARRY
Hey.

HERMIONE
Hi, Harry, Luna.

LUNA
Hello, Hermione.

HARRY
I didn’t know you were coming.

HERMIONE
Well, I thought it might be enjoyable. But then I had to escape McLaggen under the mistletoe.

HARRY
McLaggen? You’re here with McLaggen?!

HERMIONE
Well, I figured he would annoy Ron the most when he found out.

HARRY looks off and spots McLAGGEN looking around for HERMIONE.

HARRY
That’ll be him looking for you then.

HERMIONE
…See you in a bit.

She walks off. HARRY looks back for LUNA, who is immersed in conversation with NEVILLE.

NEVILLE
Well, my gran would like me to become an auror -

LUNA
Oh, you don't want to do that. The aurors are a part of the Rotfang Conspiracy; they’re working to bring down the Ministry with a combination of dark magic and gum disease.

HARRY can’t help but smile at that.

SLUGHORN (O.S.)
Oh, Harry! Long time, no see.

He chuckles. There’s SLUGHORN, standing, to HARRY’s irritation, right next to SNAPE.

SLUGHORN
Obviously I don’t need to introduce you to Severus. I was just talking about the exceptional work we’ve been seeing from you in Potions, Harry. Some credit must go to you, of course, Severus.

SNAPE
Funny; I never had the impression that I taught Potter anything.

SLUGHORN
Oh, you should have seen, first class, Draught of Living Death - last week, Amortentia…I assume it must be natural ability, just like Lily.

SNAPE
Yes…it must be.

Suddenly, FILCH comes up to them, dragging MALFOY in front of him by the neck.

FILCH
Professor Slughorn – this boy was lurking in the corridor. He claims he was invited.

MALFOY
Fine, I was trying to gate-crash, happy?

SLUGHORN
That’s alright, Arugs, it’s no crime to want to come to a party, you can go on.

FILCH shuffles off looking disappointed.

MALFOY
Thank you, sir.

SNAPE
Draco, a word.

SLUGHORN
Oh now, don’t be harsh on the young man, Severus.

SNAPE and MALFOY walk out of the room.

HARRY
(turning to SLUGHORN)
…I’ll be right back.

HARRY walks out, following SNAPE’s voice to the nearest classroom, and pressing his ear as close to it as possible without standing right in front.

SNAPE (O.S.)
- foolish of you, you can’t afford mistakes. If you are expelled –

MALFOY (O.S.)
For the last time, it wasn’t me. That Bell girl must have had enemies no one knows about.

SNAPE
I’m more focused at the moment on your skulking about, your obsession with that vanishing cabinet…

MALFOY stares at SNAPE confidently.

MALFOY
I know what you’re trying to do. It won’t work. I can stop you.

SNAPE
Well, well, aunt Bellatrix is teaching you Occlumency, is she? What are you trying to conceal from your master?

MALFOY
Nothing, it's you I don't want getting in.

SNAPE
I am trying to help you, Draco. I promised your mother, I took The Unbreakable Vow.

MALFOY
You’ll just have to break it then, won’t you? Because I don’t need your help, or your watch.

MALFOY leaves, swinging the door open behind him. HARRY just barely gets out of the way without being seen, looking at once very curious and excited.

RON (O.S.)
He was offering to help him? You’re sure?

CUT TO
INT. THE BURROW – LIVING ROOM
HARRY and RON walk down the staircase to the living room.

RON
He really mentioned The Unbreakable Vow?

HARRY
Yeah, what does that mean?

RON
Well…you can’t break an Unbreakable Vow.

HARRY
I’d worked that much out for myself, funnily enough. What happens if you do break it?

RON
You die, I guess. Fred and George nearly made me take one once; never seen Dad so angry as when he stopped it.

REMUS (O.S.)
What am I to take that to mean?

TONKS (O.S.)
You know what it means.

RON
What d'you think that's about?

HARRY shrugs; they spy REMUS and TONKS having a conversation in the next room.

TONKS
I think we should be married; it only makes sense.

REMUS
Quite the contrary, I -

TONKS
Hi there, Harry, Ron.

HARRY
Oh, uh, hi, we, uh -

RON
We weren't listening.

TONKS
'Course not. I'll see you later, sweetheart.

REMUS
Goodnight.

RON leaves the room after TONKS and HARRY sits down on an armchaiar next to REMUS.

REMUS
It's good to see you, Harry.

HARRY
You too, Professor Lupin.

REMUS
Oh, I think Remus will do. How are you? No, you don't have to answer. I know how difficult it's been.

HARRY
Yeah, I suppose you would. Forgive me, but...you and Tonks?

REMUS
She is more prepared to make a commitment than I am. I don't want to hurt her, she deserves someone whole, and seeing as I'm not exactly normal -

HARRY
You are normal, you’ve just got a...problem.

REMUS
(laughing)
Sometimes you sound just like your father; he used to call it my “furry little problem” in company. As I recall, there were many people who were under the impression that I owned a badly behaved rabbit.

HARRY laughs too.

REMUS
I’m sorry I haven’t had the chance to write, but I’ve been rather busy of late – on assignment for the Order, hiding out among a pack of my fellow werewolves. You see, Voldemort’s army is spreading to them, and in particular he is allying with one Fenrir Greyback.

HARRY
Who’s Fenrir Greyback?

REMUS
I’m surprised you haven’t heard of him. Greyback is the most savage werewolf alive today. He wants to create enough wolves to outnumber the wizards and witches, so he makes it his business to attack as many children as possible. Fenrir Greyback is the one who bit me.

HARRY
(pause)
If Greyback wants to outnumber the wizards and witches, why would Voldemort go with him?

REMUS
Well, Voldemort is trying, of course, to convince all form of magical creatures that once he takes over, their lot in life will improve. And I’m afraid my brand of reasoned argument could not convince Greyback’s group otherwise. Greyback would not be a proper Death Eater, of course, but with him on Voldemort’s side, he will be more vicious than ever.

CUT TO
The old WEASLEY clock, with icons of each member of the family pointing up to "Mortal Peril" rather than "Work," "School," or "Traveling."

DISSOLVE TO
INT. THE BURROW – KITCHEN - LATE NIGHT
The full moon shines brightly as HARRY stares out the window; he doesn't notice GINNY walk downstairs behind him.

GINNY
Harry - what's keeping you up?

HARRY
Oh, I, uh...couldn't sleep.

GINNY
Right, I had assumed that.

There's an awkward sort of silence between them.

GINNY
Listen, Harry...Dean and I, we haven't been going so well lately.

HARRY
You haven't?

GINNY
What I mean is, it's over. It's you that -

She leans in and they nearly kiss - interrupted when a bludger flies in and nearly hits HARRY right on the side of the head. He and GINNY duck down just in time, to reveal RON standing behind them holding a beater's bat and grabbing a 2nd bludger.

RON
What are you doing with my sister?!

He pelts this bludger right at camera and at that, HARRY wakes up with a start, turns over, puts his glasses on, and gets out of bed.

CUT TO
INT. THE BURROW - KITCHEN - LATE NIGHT
Again, HARRY sits at the window looking out at the full moon as GINNY comes downstairs behind him.

GINNY
Harry? You heard it too then?

HARRY
Heard what?

An unusually loud rustling and thumping is heard from outside.

GINNY
That.

She crosses, opens the door, and walks outside.

HARRY
(walking after her)
Ginny, wait.

They wander around a bit in the darkness, on guard for any suspicious noise. Nothing; the two of them walk a bit further and through some tall reeds; a P.O.V. SHOT through a couple of those reeds then reveals that some-one-or-thing is lurking nearby.

GINNY
Let's go back in, it's probably nothing.

A split second later, a great wolf bursts out and pounces on HARRY, knocking him down on the ground.

GINNY
Harry!

The fierce-eyed wolf drags HARRY backward over the rough ground; GINNY draws her wand.

GINNY
Stupefy!

The beast is jerked backward by the spell's red light; HARRY grabs GINNY's hand and staggers up.

HARRY
Thanks. Glad one of us brought our wand.

GINNY
Yeah; running seems like a good idea now.

HARRY
Agreed.

They run back toward the door, but GINNY catches her leg on something, trips, and slams to the ground, her wand flying off out of sight; HARRY stops in his tracks too.

HARRY
Ginny, you alright?

GINNY
Not really; I can barely move.

Suddenly, the werewolf leaps on her back; its extraordinarily sharp claws look to dig into her as she groans in pain.

HARRY
No...

HARRY frantically surveys the ground looking for GINNY's wand; he mutters "damn" when he finds nothing but dirt and rocks. The savage werewolf "merely" sniffs GINNY and licks the side of her face in sadistic pleasure as she struggles in terror.

HARRY
Accio wand, ACCIO WAND!

The wand darts into HARRY's hand; he turns on the spot and shouts:

HARRY
INCENDIO!

The wolf catches on fire and takes off in the opposite direction.

HARRY
PROTEGO!

Very quickly a translucent shield appears to cover the entire area in front of HARRY and GINNY. HARRY helps GINNY up and she hugs him tightly.

GINNY
Thank you. Will that work?

HARRY
Oh, no idea.

GINNY
What was that?!

HARRY
(after a pause)
Greyback.
FADE OUT

FADE IN
INT. THE BURROW – LIVING ROOM - MORNING
A large and beautifully-decorated Christmas tree adorns the back of the WEASLEYS’ living room; FRED and GEORGE are here, playing a game of EXPLODING SNAP with GINNY; HARRY and RON sit on the floor, amidst the debris of opened presents; MR. and MRS. WEASLEY sit on the couch around them.

HARRY
(holding the customary WEASLEY W sweater, this time emerald-colored)
It’s great, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Thank you.

MRS. WEASLEY
Of course, dear.

FRED
(holding a small wrapped box and handing it to RON)
Why look at this: “To Won-Won from Lavender.”

GEORGE
Oooooh, hope you like it, Won-Won!

RON
Shut up.

He unwraps it, opens the box, and takes out the long, gaudy silver necklace. CLOSE-UP on it as RON reads out the inscription:

RON
“My Sweetheart?”

HARRY, GINNY, FRED, & GEORGE break out in laughter.

HARRY
That’s excellent, you should definitely wear it in front of people.

GEORGE
Oh yes, it suits you perfectly.

RON
(pointing to HARRY)
If you don’t leave it alone, I – I’ll –

HARRY
Stutter at me?

MRS. WEASLEY
Alright, alright; Harry, this one’s for you.

Someone knocks at the door forcibly. MR. WEASLEY gets up to answer it.

HARRY
(opening the wrapping)
It’s from Dobby.

MRS. WEASLEY
I didn’t see a label.

HARRY
I know, though.
(He holds up a pair of old, mismatched socks.)
Socks.

MR. WEASLEY
(reentering)
Harry, it’s for you; it’s Rufus Scrimgeour.

CUT TO
EXT. THE BURROW – FRONT GARDEN
HARRY and MINISTER OF MAGIC RUFUS SCRIMGEOUR – authoritative and rugged-looking with short grey hair specked with black - walk outside in THE BURROW’s front garden.

SCRIMGEOUR
Well, Mr. Potter, this meeting has been a long time coming indeed.

HARRY
I hadn’t noticed.

SCRIMGEOUR
I heard about what happened last night, Fenrir Greyback showing up here. Most unexpected, especially considering Arthur placed every protective enchantment over this home that he could.
(pause)
Dumbledore certainly has been protective of you. I suppose that’s natural after what you’ve been through.

HARRY
Can I ask, what is it you want to talk to me about, sir?

SCRIMGEOUR
Right to it, then: Harry, regardless of what is fact, fiction, or exaggeration, most people have come to believe you are The Chosen One. And sadly, confidence in the Ministry is waning these days – and now, after this attack from Greyback, and the murder of Amelia Bones…

HARRY
Amelia Bones? She’s the head of Magical Law Enforcement, isn’t she?

SCRIMGEOUR
Not anymore, sadly. She was one of the Ministry’s finest. Anyway, you, Harry Potter, have become a symbol of hope for so many – the idea that there is one person out there who can defeat He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, it gives them a lift. And I would hope that, as follows, you would consider it a duty to…stand alongside the Ministry, show a level of support.

HARRY
Stand alongside the Ministry, what does that mean?

SCRIMGEOUR
Oh, nothing onerous, I assure you; you know, being seen with the right people, at the right times, a public knowledge that you support the government in these fraught times.

HARRY
In other words, you want me to be your mascot? To make people think I just go along with anything you do – even though I don’t?

SCRIMGEOUR
This is about giving people hope –

HARRY
No, I don’t think it is.
(beat)
Is Stan Shunpike still locked up?

SCRIMGEOUR
Mr. Shunpike was seen conducting activities which mark him as a likely Death Eater suspect.

HARRY
Wow - you don’t even know what those “activities” are. Makes me wonder if any of the few arrests you’ve made are worth anything. I think you’re just trying to make it look like you’re doing something and you want me to join in.

SCRIMGEOUR
So you’re just like Dumbledore – you want to simply disassociate yourself from the Ministry.

HARRY
I don’t want to be used.

SCRIMGEOUR
Some would say it’s your duty to be used by the Ministry.

HARRY
Tell me something, Minister: is Dolores Umbridge still working for you?

SCRIMGEOUR
Yes; what does that have to do with –

HARRY
I thought so.

HARRY holds up the back of his hand to show SCRIMGEOUR the words “I must not tell lies,” still scarred there in dry blood.

HARRY
A souvenir from her time at Hogwarts.

HARRY walks back toward the front door.

HARRY
Sorry, we may be fighting the same fight but I can’t be a puppet.

SCRIMGEOUR
So you are indeed Dumbledore’s man – through and through.

HARRY
(pause)
I guess I am.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; July 17th, 2009 at 9:51 pm.
Sponsored Links