View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:39 am
Seventh Year

Re: Fan Scripts: Script your own version of Harry Potter

HBP scenes 20-21: THE HOUSE OF GAUNT/A SLUGGISH MEMORY:    

DISSOLVE TO
INT. HOGWARTS - DUMBLEDORE'S OFFICE - EARLY EVENING
DUMBLEDORE stares out his office window looking worried as HARRY walks in behind him.

HARRY
Evening, sir.

DUMBLEDORE
Evening, Harry. I understand your time at The Burrow was rather eventful. I did not anticipate Fenrir Greyback would find you there.

HARRY
Well, Rufus Scrimgeour did too.
(pause)
He sort of wanted me to play as if I supported whatever the Ministry did, be the poster boy and all.

DUMBLEDORE
Yes, he initially wanted me to ask that of you, but I refused.

HARRY
He said I was Dumbledore’s man, through and through.

DUMBLEDORE
I'm sorry he put you in that position.

HARRY
I said I was.

DUMBLEDORE
I am touched, Harry. Shall we get down to it then?

HARRY
Wait, there’s something I need to tell you.

DUMBLEDORE
And what is that?

HARRY
At Professor Slughorn’s Christmas party, I overheard Snape talking to Draco Malfoy. At first, Malfoy thought he was being accused of having cursed Katie Bell that day in Hogsmeade - it sounded like Snape knew he'd done it. Then Snape went on about how Malfoy was being foolish, how he was risking being expelled by skulking around somewhere and being obsessed with some vanishing cabinet. And he - Snape - said that he was trying to help him, that he took The Unbreakable Vow for Malfoy's mother.

DUMBLEDORE
I see.

HARRY
Snape and Malfoy are working together, they're planning something, I know it.

DUMBLEDORE
Harry, did you consider that Professor Snape could have been acting, in an attempt to get Mr. Malfoy to confess?

HARRY
No, but I knew you'd say that.

DUMBLEDORE
Ah; well, I am glad you confided this to me. However, it is not of great importance.

HARRY
Not of great importance?! Sir, you must understand –

DUMBLEDORE
I understand very well.

HARRY
And you still trust him?

DUMBLEDORE
I do. Now I think we should press on.

HARRY
(looking frustrated)
Fine.

DUMBLEDORE
There are two memories I’d like you to see tonight. You’ll recall that we left off with the 11-year-old Tom Riddle about to begin a new life here at Hogwarts, and indeed, he was an impressive student: extraordinarily talented and also quite charismatic and…persuasive.

HARRY
(with disdain)
So I’ve seen.

DUMBLEDORE
You will also know that through his time here I never fully trusted Tom Riddle; I made it my business to keep a closer eye on him than any other student. And although he committed some very serious crimes – framing Professor Hagrid for opening The Chamber of Secrets, for instance – he was never incriminated. Nor were any of his…well, we can't call them friends - shall we say followers? The meek seeking protection, the ambitious looking for their glory, the thuggish searching for harsher punishments, this group had a kind of dark glamour about them.

HARRY
Death Eaters.

DUMBLEDORE
So they became. Now, when exactly Tom found out that not only had Salazar Slytherin possessed the ability to speak to snakes as he did, but that he was a descendant of Slytherin himself I cannot tell. I can tell you that the young Tom Riddle was desperate to know more about his family, particularly his father, as he was sure his mother couldn’t possibly be a witch if she could succumb to death. Alas, he saw no evidence of the name Tom Riddle Sr. at Hogwarts. After some painstaking research, he found that it was his mother's side that held the last remaining link of the Slytherin chain. ‘Though he didn’t know it at the time, that locket he kept in his room at the orphanage –

HARRY
- was Slytherin’s.

DUMBLEDORE nods.

DUMBLEDORE
What we are about to see is the memory of one Morfin Gaunt – Tom’s uncle – and his encounter with the young Voldemort.

A ripple on the memory’s surface acts a DISSOLVE TO a dank and grimy mess of a kitchen; a now-16-year-old TOM RIDDLE - tall, handsome, and self-assured - opens the door. He walks in, surveys the rubbish-strewn, cobweb-infested space imperiously, grazes a wall with a finger (peeling some of the paint clean off), and is about to walk into the next room when a gravelly voice behind him barks:

SEEDY-LOOKING WIZARD (O.S.)
You? How dare you show your face here!

A hunched, seedy-looking wizard runs at him; RIDDLE says something in PARSELTONGUE and the man backs off, in shock.

SEEDY-LOOKING WIZARD
You speak it?!

RIDDLE
Yes, I speak it. Are you Morfin Gaunt?

MORFIN
Course I am. I'd've sworn you was that muggle; you look just like him.

RIDDLE
What muggle?

MORFIN
The muggle what lives in that big house a town over, the muggle what ran off with her, the muggle what just came back!

As MORFIN speaks, he gestures with his ring finger, which wears a familiar black ring with a cracked stone in the center.

RIDDLE
“Came back?”

MORFIN nods as he tries to steady himself.

MORFIN
He left her, you see – on the spot, as fast as she took off with him. Serves her right for marrying such filth!
(He spits on the floor.)
Little slut dishonored us! Robbed us before she left, too!

He pulls a knife from thin air and brandishes it in front of RIDDLE.

MORFIN
AND WHO ARE YOU TO COME IN HERE AND ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT SUCH THINGS?

RIDDLE
(beat)
Where is this muggle now?

With that, the GAUNT home is vanished and replaced by DUMBLEDORE’s office; HARRY sits at the desk as DUMBLEDORE stands over the PENSIEVE and funnels the memory into one strand and back into its bottle.

HARRY
That's it?

DUMBLEDORE
That was all Morfin could remember.

HARRY
Voldemort wiped his memory?

DUMBLEDORE
Not exactly. You see, the next morning, muggle authorities in the next town over discovered the bodies of Tom Riddle Sr. and his family. They were, of course, baffled - the killing curse rarely leaves a mark (the lone exception sits before me). But the Ministry recognized this as a wizard's murder...and there was a well-known and proud muggle-hater close by.

HARRY
You mean Morfin.

DUMBLEDORE
I think he would have been convicted even if he hadn't freely admitted to the crime.

HARRY
What do you mean he admitted to it? Clearly it was Voldemort who went back there and killed his father!

DUMBLEDORE
But Morfin confessed in such detail that only the real killer could posess. He was sent to Azkaban with the utmost belief that he had murdered the Riddles.

HARRY
So Voldemort framed him? He put those memories inside Morfin’s mind? And no one ever questioned it even though he did have the real one in him all this time?!

DUMBLEDORE
I cannot minimize the difficulty with which this memory was obtained, Harry. Only a highly skilled Legilimens such as myself could possibly have extracted it – ‘though I don’t mean to boast.

HARRY
I never thought I’d feel sorry for anyone related to Voldemort.

DUMBLEDORE
And it’s precisely that that sets you apart from him.
(He opens a new bottle, letting out the memory inside; it doesn’t stream out as easily as the others and looks almost congealed.)
This next memory, you will be interested to know, comes from Professor Slughorn himself.

HARRY
Slughorn? What, you mean this memory is the real reason you wanted him to come back?

DUMBLEDORE
You could say that.

HARRY
I didn’t think he was only here to teach Potions.

DUMBLEDORE
This may be the most important memory I've collected. Once more into the Pensieve then?

CUT TO
HARRY’s fall through darkness ends in a landing in SLUGHORN’s POTIONS dungeon, which appears exactly as it does today. We see the 16-year-old TOM RIDDLE staying behind as the rest of the class leaves around him and calls or waves goodbye.

SLUGHORN
Avery, Lestrange, if I don't see those essays on my desk tomorrow it's detention for you both!

RIDDLE, wearing MORFIN's ring, twists it absently and approaches SLUGHORN's desk.

HARRY
Morfin's ring...He's just killed them...

SLUGHORN
Look sharp, Tom, you don't want to be late, and you a Prefect. What is it?

RIDDLE
Well, sir, I was wondering...I was wondering if you could tell me anything about horcruxes.

SLUGHORN’s typically-jovial face turns deadly serious; next moment, the room is enveloped by shadow, leaving only HARRY, DUMBLEDORE, and the younger SLUGHORN visible, cast in a greyish light.

SLUGHORN
I don’t know anything about horcruxes, and I wouldn’t tell you about such things if I did! Now, leave, leave at once! You’ll go wrong, boy, and I’ll have nothing to do with it!

DUMBLEDORE
Well, that’s that.

And almost instantly the pair of them are back in DUMBLEDORE’s office.

DUMBLEDORE
As I’m sure you’ve noticed, that memory has been tampered with.

HARRY
"Tampered with?"

DUMBLEDORE
Professor Slughorn is, I believe, ashamed of what he knows to be the truth, and so has altered the shape of this memory.

HARRY
That’s why it just went dark like that?

DUMBLEDORE
(He nods.)
It was rather crudely done, but that shows us that he does still possess the true memory. And Harry, I must ask that you be the one to persuade him to divulge the real truth.

HARRY
Me? Can’t you just use legilimency again? Or Veritaserum?

DUMBLEDORE
As accomplished and knowledgeable as Horace is, I think he will expect both.

A Headmaster’s portrait behind DUMBLEDORE sees fit to chime in at this point:

PHINEAS
Questioning the Headmaster’s thinking, such insolence –

DUMBLEDORE
Thank you, Phineas!

PHINEAS
(muttered)
Wouldn’t do in my time…

HARRY
Why me? I mean, I know you had me convince him to come back in the first place, but this is rather different. Why would I be able to do it?

DUMBLEDORE
Trust me, Harry; it must be you. This information cannot be wrestled by force. And it is more important than you can yet realize. Without it…I’m afraid we leave the fate of our world to chance.

As DUMBLEDORE makes this pronouncement, HARRY stands behind him, looking very apprehensive indeed.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; July 10th, 2009 at 6:20 am.
Sponsored Links