View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Fan Scripts: Script your own version of Harry Potter

HBP scenes 28-30: FELIX FELICIS/THE REAL MEMORY/HORCRUXES:    

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS – GRYFFINDOR BOYS’ DORMITORY – MOMENTS LATER
HARRY takes a drink of the golden FELIX FELICIS.

HERMIONE
How do you feel?

HARRY
(beaming)
Excellent! I don’t know how to describe it, it’s like…like I could do anything. Anything!
(beat)
Right, I’m going down to Hagrid’s.

HERMIONE
What?!

GINNY
Hagrid’s?

HERMIONE
Shouldn’t you be looking for Slughorn?

HARRY
Oh, I don’t have to; he’s at Hagrid’s.

GINNY
How do you know that?

HARRY
I just do. Trust me, I know what I’m doing.

HERMIONE and GINNY look…skeptical.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS – ENTRANCE HALL – MOMENTS LATER
HARRY walks up to the front doors confidently but FILCH grabs him on the shoulder from behind.

FILCH
And where do you think you’re going, Potter?

HARRY
Just out for a walk.

FILCH
Not even you have the right to walk about the grounds when you please.

Suddenly a loud clattering and smashing from above distracts him.

FILCH
(walking off)
Ruddy poltergeist; I’ll deal with you later.

HARRY
Good luck.

CUT TO
HARRY walks downhill to HAGRID’s hut; he knocks on the door a couple of times over the sound of some off-key singing from HAGRID and SLUGHORN.

HAGRID
(opening the door)
Harry! You came!

HARRY
I did…

HAGRID
Well, come in, have a seat.

He opens the door and lets HARRY in.

SLUGHORN
Ah, Harry!

HARRY
Professor Slughorn; what is all this?

HAGRID
Oh, I thought ya knew; Aragog’s passed away.

HARRY
(sitting down)
Aragog? You mean that giant spider you kept in the forbidden forest?

HAGRID
That’s him. He’s been sick for a while.

SLUGHORN
Yes, terrible tragedy. Acromantulas are such marvelous beasts, and their venom is…so rare.

HAGRID
You know, Harry, he always liked you, Aragog.

HARRY
You know, I’d gotten that impression!

SLUGHORN
Here, shall we have a drink, toast the creature?

HAGRID
I’ll drink to that!

SLUGHORN takes three glasses and pours some mead into each and they all raise them in a toast.

SLUGHORN
To Aragog!

HARRY & HAGRID
Aragog!

HAGRID and SLUGHORN drink theirs right down.

HAGRID
Would you believe I’d had him since he was just a baby, used to keep him in a cupboard up in the castle until…

SLUGHORN
That is fascinating. You know, I always believed that acromantulas…

HARRY looks over and refills both of their glasses by tapping the rim with his wand.

SLUGHORN
…But actually I was just informed – oh, look there, my drink’s refilled! This calls for another toast then, doesn’t it! To Hogwarts, yes?

HAGRID
I’ll drink to that!

HARRY, HAGRID, & SLUGHORN
To Hogwarts!

Again HAGRID and SLUGHORN chug their drinks down and HARRY doesn’t touch his.

SLUGHORN
You’re rather quiet, Harry.

HARRY
Oh, well…you know, I just don’t know what to say, I’m just so overcome by…grief.

SLUGHORN
Ah, of course.

HARRY
Yeah; more mead then? Shall we use it up?

HARRY leans over to refill.

CUT TO
INT. HAGRID’S HUT – A WHILE LATER
HARRY is slumped back in his chair as HAGRID and SLUGHORN – neither of whom can quite keep their head up now - start on their next round.

HAGRID
(laughing)
And so I said to him, I said to the boy, “you have to stroke the spine, of course!”

SLUGHORN laughs.

HAGRID
You remember that, Harry?

HARRY
Yeah, yeah.

HAGRID
Well then – to Harry Potter!

SLUGHORN
Yes that’s right, to Parry Otter! The Chosen Boy Who…well, something of that nature.

HAGRID
And to Lily and James Potter – two finer, braver wizards you’ll never find!

HARRY & SLUGHORN
Hear hear!

SLUGHORN
The wizarding world misses them greatly.

They drain their glasses; HAGRID then passes out, his head falling on the table with a thud.

SLUGHORN
Oh dear, is he alright?

HARRY
He’ll be fine, don’t worry about him.

HAGRID begins to snore.

HARRY
There, see?

SLUGHORN
Ah; well, sad night, sad night.

HARRY
It is.
(beat)
Did you know my father died first?

SLUGHORN
Pardon me?

HARRY
Yeah, Voldemort killed him and then he moved onto my mother. And she didn’t need to die, she could’ve run.

SLUGHORN
(whispered)
She could have?

HARRY
She begged him not to go near me, but he was going to kill me no matter what.

SLUGHORN
I think that is enough.

HARRY
And so she let herself die, right there.

SLUGHORN
That’s enough! Good lord, I don’t need to hear about such things! I’m just an old man…

HARRY
I’m sorry; I forgot, she was your favorite student, right? You liked her?

SLUGHORN
(tears in his eyes)
I can’t imagine that anyone would meet Lily Evans and not like her: she was smart, funny…it was the most horrible thing when I found out.

HARRY
But you won’t help her son? She gave me her life, and you won’t give me a memory?

SLUGHORN
It’s not a question of if I want to help you, I do, but you have to understand what you ask of me -

HARRY
Professor, Dumbledore and I need that memory; I’m The Chosen One, I have to defeat Voldemort!

SLUGHORN
But this is more than I am prepared to give –

HARRY
You don’t want to get rid of him then? The wizard who killed Lily Evans?

SLUGHORN
Of course I do!

HARRY
Are you afraid he’ll find out you helped me? Are you afraid he’ll come after you? Be brave, Professor, be brave like my mother.

As SLUGHORN considers this, HARRY takes an empty vial out from his pocket and places it between them.

SLUGHORN
I’m not proud, I…I think I have done a great deal of damage…

HARRY
Anything you might’ve done would be canceled out if you gave me that memory.

SLUGHORN takes his wand, places it at his temple, and removes a long strand of memory, placing it into the vial with a trembling hand.

SLUGHORN
Just…don’t think too harshly of me after you see it.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS – DUMBLEDORE’S OFFICE – MOMENTS LATER
HARRY runs past the stone gargoyle up the staircase to DUMBLEDORE’s office and bursts in without knocking.

HARRY
Professor! Professor Dumbledore, I’ve got it, I’ve got Slughorn’s memory!

DUMBLEDORE appears upstairs and looks over the banister at him.

DUMBLEDORE
Well done, Harry! Let’s see it then.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS – POTIONS DUNGEON
Again, we see the 16-year-old TOM RIDDLE staying behind as the rest of the class leaves around him and calls or waves goodbye.

SLUGHORN (O.S)
Avery, Lestrange, if I don’t see those essays on my desk tomorrow it’s detention for you both!

RIDDLE, wearing MORFIN’s ring, twists it absently and approaches SLUGHORN’s desk.

SLUGHORN
Look sharp, Tom, you don’t want to be late, and you a Prefect. What is it?

RIDDLE
Well, sir, I was wondering…I was wondering if you could tell me anything about horcruxes.

SLUGHORN
Did you say…horcruxes?

RIDDLE
Yes, I did.

SLUGHORN
Project for Defense Against the Dark Arts, is it?

RIDDLE
Not exactly, no. I came across the term while reading and didn’t quite understand it.

SLUGHORN
Well, good luck finding any information on horcruxes here, Tom; this is very dark stuff, very dark indeed.

RIDDLE
Then you do know all about them? I mean, if you can’t tell me, I won’t push the matter, but I figured if anyone could, it would be you.

SLUGHORN
(fiddling with his tie)
I suppose it can’t hurt to give you an overview…just so you know. But understand, I would not trust any other student with the information I am about to give you. A horcrux is an object in which a witch or wizard has concealed…a part of their soul.

RIDDLE
I don’t understand; how does that work?

SLUGHORN
You split your soul, so that part of it is contained within this object, and, even if the individual’s body is maimed or destroyed, they cannot die.

RIDDLE
And how do you split your soul? I realize there would be a spell, of course –

SLUGHORN
Surely you realize, Tom, that there are few who’d want this sort of life; the act of tearing one’s soul apart is against nature, it’s a great violation – death would, in fact, be preferable.

RIDDLE
But how do you do it?

SLUGHORN
Through the ultimate act of evil: by committing murder. Murder rips the soul, rips it beyond repair. It’s a vile and terrible thing, a horcrux.

RIDDLE
Oh, I don’t mean to bother, sir.

SLUGHORN
No, not at all, it’s natural to be curious about such things; I would expect no less than the highest intellectual curiosity from you, Tom.

RIDDLE
There’s one last thing I want to ask then: can you only split your soul once? Wouldn’t more horcruxes make you even more powerful? For instance, isn’t seven the most powerfully magical number?

SLUGHORN
Merlin’s beard! Seven?! Isn’t it bad enough to think of killing ONE person, but to rip the soul into SEVEN pieces!

SLUGHORN looks at RIDDLE as if seeing him for the first time.

SLUGHORN
But of course, this is all hypothetical, isn’t it?

RIDDLE
Of course it is.

SLUGHORN
Do me a favor: keep this all between us. If Dumbledore, for instance, knew that we had discussed horcruxes…

RIDDLE
I won’t tell anyone. Thank you, Professor.

DUMBLEDORE (O.S.)
Thank you, Harry.

CUT TO
INT. HOGWARTS – DUMBLEDORE’S OFFICE – A MOMENT LATER

DUMBLEDORE
What we have just seen…proves the theory under which I have been working.

HARRY
So you think then that Voldemort had a horcrux hidden somewhere when he…well, not died. And that’s why he survived, a bit of his soul was safe?

DUMBLEDORE
A bit…or more. You saw it yourself, what Voldemort wanted was to know how one would create multiple horcruxes; he was ready and willing to murder however many he deemed fitting in his bid for immortality, and he knew that no book would give him the information he wanted.

DUMBLEDORE pauses to gather his thoughts.

DUMBLEDORE
Four years ago, I received certain proof that Voldemort had made at least one horcrux.

HARRY
Where? How?

DUMBLEDORE
You handed it right to me, Harry.

The image of HARRY picking up TOM RIDDLE’s old, weathered black diary flashes onscreen as DUMBLEDORE announces:

DUMBLEDORE
Tom Riddle’s diary: the one that opened The Chamber of Secrets, and possessed Miss Weasley.

HARRY
I’m not sure I –

DUMBLEDORE
What you described to me that night was unlike anything I’d ever heard before: a mere memory beginning to take corporeal form, a memory draining the life out of the girl into whose hands it fell? No – no, it was far more sinister than that.

HARRY
So what I destroyed, it was actually a piece of his soul?

DUMBLEDORE
If I’m not mistaken. What has long concerned me is the careless way Voldemort treated this object: Lucius Malfoy was the one who dropped the diary into Ginny Weasley’s cauldron, and I find it rather suspect that the so-called Dark Lord would entrust such a valued item to anyone. And let’s not forget that this diary was meant as not just a safeguard but a weapon as well. Terrifying as it seems, this appears to be an indication that Voldemort succeeded in making more than one horcrux, and perhaps...

DUMBLEDORE takes a meaningful look at HARRY.

DUMBLEDORE
...several.

HARRY
So basically we’re just getting further away from stopping him?

DUMBLEDORE
On the contrary. We are now closer to stopping Lord Voldemort than ever before.

HARRY
Then what next?

DUMBLEDORE
Next? Next are the words “isn’t seven the most powerfully magical number?” I think the idea of a seven-part sould would have been very appealing to Voldemort, wouldn’t you agree?

HARRY
Six horcruxes? They could be anywhere, they could be anything, the could be invisible!

DUMBLEDORE
Then you appreciate the magnitude of our problem. Although, I believe the number has brought down to four; you have destroyed one, the diary, and I have destroyed another.

DUMBLEDORE raises his disfigured right hand.

HARRY
You have? What was it…wait…

The image of RIDDLE twisting the black ring with the cracked stone in the center flashes onscreen as HARRY realizes:

HARRY (O.S.)
The ring Morfin wore, the one Voldemort took?

HARRY
The one you had on when we met to see Slughorn, that was it, wasn’t it? And what’s happened to your hand is a curse from trying to take it in the first place?

DUMBLEDORE
You’re much too clever, Harry; I must admit I was looking forward to finally telling you the story myself. What’s important, though, is that it is gone now.

HARRY
Where did you find it?

DUMBLEDORE
At the Gaunt home; I have, as you know, made it a priority to learn as much about Lord Voldemort’s past as I can.

HARRY
Couldn’t the rest of the horcruxes be, I don’t know, anything? Tin cans? Old bottles?

DUMBLEDORE
What you’re describing is a portkey; no, Voldemort always liked to collect trophies. His strong will to prove himself, to carve out a more ‘spectacular’ legacy, he would be drawn to items with a unique significance in the magical world. The diary that proved he was the heir of Slytherin, the ring that had been handed down from one "pureblood" line to the next, from Slytherin to Peverell…

HARRY
And you think you know what the others are?

DUMBLEDORE
I have been searching for some time, for objects that have a grandeur in themselves, ones that may have disappeared over time.

The image of the old locket with the raised S falling onto RIDDLE’s bed flashes onscreen.

HARRY (O.S.)
The locket!

HARRY
Slytherin’s locket, he had it at the orphanage!!

DUMBLEDORE
That is EXACTLY what I had in mind.

HARRY
So, might he have tried to use things from all the Houses?

DUMBLEDORE
I was unable to procure any memories from this period, but Tom Riddle spent a short time after his graduation working at Borgin & Burke’s, procuring antiques from witches and wizards willing to sell them. In this way, he might’ve been able to capture the last remaining Hufflepuff heirloom, a cup with the House’s insignia.

HARRY
And the others?

DUMBLEDORE
Well, the last tangible link to Godric Gryffindor is resting in that case over there.

He motions to the glass case at the rear wall, containing the sword of GRYFFINDOR.

DUMBLEDORE
I cannot answer for Ravenclaw’s.

HARRY
There’s one left.

DUMBLEDORE
I wonder what you’ll think when I tell you that I have been intrigued by the behavior of Voldemort’s snake, Nagini.

The image of the great snake slithering down the corridor to the HALL OF PROPHECY flashes onscreen.

HARRY
You can use animals?!

DUMBLEDORE
It is inadvisable, but yes. It seems to me that he has a very irregular control over her, and considering that Slytherin’s symbol was a serpent, he’s probably as fond of Nagini as it is possible for him to be.

HARRY takes a pause to let this in before asking:

HARRY
When a horcrux is destroyed, can he feel it?

DUMBLEDORE
An interesting question; I think most likely Voldemort’s very soul is so mutilated that he can’t. That is, until the last of him is vanquished. Perhaps then, he will.

HARRY
So if we destroy them if we destroy all the horcruxes -

DUMBLEDORE
Voldemort could be killed.

HARRY
And just how am I supposed to do that? Because it has to be me, and the prophecy said I had power The Dark Lord knows not, which I DON’T!

DUMBLEDORE
But you do! Harry, after all that you have been through, after everything you’ve seen, you can still, after all, love.

HARRY
Great, I can love!

DUMBLEDORE
Do not underestimate this.

HARRY
But it just comes down to the same thing! I have to kill him or he kills me, no matter what!

DUMBLEDORE
You are placing too much store in the prophecy! Don’t you see, it only matters because Voldemort acted on it, nothing more. The remarkable person who stands before me would still be standing before me if Voldemort had murdered Lily and James Potter with or without a prophecy!

HARRY
But –

DUMBLEDORE
Let me put it this way: it is the difference between being dragged into a fight kicking and screaming and walking to your fate with your head held high.

HARRY
I understand. And so did my parents.

DUMBLEDORE
The enemy we fight does not. The reason we face this…this horror is that Voldemort, for all his ability, never possessed the wisdom to see that, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

HARRY
Sir, the next time you find one…can I come?

DUMBLEDORE
Of course.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; July 12th, 2009 at 10:21 pm.
Sponsored Links