Thread: Only Family
View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2003, 2:11 am
Sixth Year

Chapter Three: An Old Friend

The person stared at her for a few moments, and then gave her a startled smile and said, “Elizabeth Potter?”

She raised an eyebrow at the formality of this greeting and answered as calmly as she could muster, “Remus Lupin.”

Remus stared at her, apparently startled, then, “Eliza!”

“Remus!”, she replied, enthusiastically and hugged him tightly as she had when they had last seen each other.

But, things were different now. Remus looked a lot older than Elizabeth herself did. He had a couple of premature wrinkles and some gray hair. His eyes were sadder, and his face looked as if it had been arranged in a more solemn expression then it now held.

“So, now you’re back to England, and you didn’t owl me?”

“I’ve only been here less than an hour,” she protested as they walked toward her table.

“Yes, but no warning of it?”

“I- oh, sorry, I was kind of overwelmed about coming here and it kind of slipped my mind,” she said as she sat down at her table, and he sat at the table that had been behind her. She looked at the others there, realizing that it had been Remus’ voice that was the soft one. Also at the table was a young women with pink hair and a heart shaped face, and a black man with a gold earing.

“Why were you here, then, now?” she asked as she studied the strangers.

“Dumbledore said you would be arriving around this time, and he wants you to come with us, unless your going straight to Hogwarts. Besides, he thought I might want to see you again.”

“Dumbledore, he tends to do that type of thing, doesn’t he?”

He nodded and then jumped, “I haven’t introduce you all, have I?”

The young woman laughed and grinned, “No, you haven’t, but we can do it ourselves since you’ve forgotten your manners. I’m Tonks, just call me Tonks,” she said firmly.

“Nice to meet you Tonks. Wait, is your mother Andromeda?”

Tonks grinned, “Yes, she is.”

The other man grinned, “And I’m Kingsley Shacklebolt. You are?”

“Oh, I’m Elizabeth. Elizabeth Potter.”

“I see, are you related to young Potter?”

“Yes, she is,” said Remus, “He’s her nephew.”

“He doesn’t know you, does he?”

Elizabeth shook her head and studied the chair she was sitting sideways in, “No, I left before... that night, and this is my first time back. I’ll be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts.”

“Good luck,” said Tonks fervently.

“I taught and I lived,” Remus pointed out.
“Yes well the past few years haven’t been so lucky! Last year, Umbridge got attacked by centaurs. The year before that, Mad-Eye was stuck in his trunk for ten months and the imposter was Kissed. Before that, Remus taught and resigned. Before that, Lockhart lost his memory, and before that, Quirrell died.”

“Comfort her, why don’t you, Tonks,” said Kingsley smiling slightly, “But, of course, I agree with one part, good luck.”

“Eliza, are you going with us or are you going straight to Hogwarts?”