Thread: Only Family
View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2004, 12:48 am
Sixth Year

Chapter Eleven

Elizabeth yawned and stood up, running her fingers through her hair. She looked out her window to see a misty morning, with the wind stirring the branches of the trees, and yellowing east sky of the nearing dawn.

Elizabeth got dressed in plain, black robes and pulled a brush through her misbehaving hair. It always was messy and untamable. Elizabeth usually didn’t try to do too much with it, and just left it down. When I start working on dueling with the students, Elizabeth thought, then I’ll have to pull it back. For now it will be okay like this.

Elizabeth got to the Great Hall rather early, before most of the students and over half the staff. Minerva was there, eating her porridge tiredly and scanning the hall for any mischief makers.

Eliza sat beside her, smiling slightly. Memories of breakfasts past slid past each other, each far different than the last. Minerva looked up.

“My,” she said, stifling a yawn, “You’re up early, aren’t you?”

“What about you?” Eliza said, rather amused.

“I hand out the schedules later, so I have to eat now, if ever.”

Eliza smiled at that.

Minerva looked her way, “Why are you up now, anyway? I would have thought you’d be down in something more like a half-hour.”

Elizabeth paused, then said, “I couldn’t sleep anymore.”

Professor McGonagol nodded, “Oh.”

Elizabeth glanced down.

Professor McGonagol spoke up suddenly, “Elizabeth, after you left, what did you do for your job?”

Elizabeth sighed, “I worked in their ministry, their wizard one.”

Minerva choked, “You- you what!?”

Eliza laughed, “Yes, I worked for a ministry.”

Minerva shot her a look, “Well, that was unexpected of you.”

Elizabeth smiled reminiscently, “Yes, it was. I couldn’t exactly find any other jobs at the time. I quit after a year, they were getting too curious about my origins for their -and my- own good.”

Minerva nodded, “Then?”

“I worked for one of the schools for five years.”

Minerva shot her a look.

“I was teaching Defensive Skills and Charms. That’s what they called it. Then I worked in the equivalent of Zonkos here, for three years. For the last six, I worked in a muggle inn.”

Minerva stared at the last one.

“I had to cover my tracks,” Elizabeth explained, “And working at Lotches & Snorts was too.... reminding.”

Minerva frowned at that statement, “You know, Eliza... You’ve got to face it sooner or later, you can’t hide from it,” she lectured.

Elizabeth felt her temper attempt to rise in her, “I’m not hiding from it,” she said in a sharp whisper. “If I was, would I be here, of all places? That all wasn’t my only reasons for quitting that job. The man who owned it was too...” Elizabeth puzzled for the word.

“Too what?”

“Too... up close and personal.”

Minerva blinked, “Could you explain?”

“Oh, in the last year, he continually asked me on dates, and tried to find out who I was, where I was from, and that sort of thing.”

Minerva nodded. “Did you go by your name?”

“Nope. I used Scuplter for it.”

She nodded, "I see," she said as Professor Sinistra sat down near them, "Well, Elizabeth, it's good to know that you do have some experience in teaching." Then, Minerva sighed and stood up. “I have to pass out schedules.”

Elizabeth nodded and looked out into the growing group of students. At the Slytherin table, the hard faced, vicious looking students glowered at most people that went by. The Ravenclaw’s were chatting merrily, and a group of Hufflepuffs were laughing about something. Over at the Gryffindor’s table, Elizabeth could see Ginny, Ron, Harry , and the brown-haired girl talking. They were at the end nearest the staff table, extremely close to where Elizabeth was sitting. Elizabeth listened to their conversation, a talent that had been very useful when she had helped the “Marauders” with their pranks.

The brown-haired girl was speaking, “Well, we shouldn’t drop to conclusions, just because-”

“Hermione,” interrupted Ron, “She knows about the cloak. That’s just... weird.”

“She’s friends with Lupin,” spoke up Ginny.

Harry frowned at the table.

“What terms is she on with Snape?” asked Hermione.

Ginny bit her lip, “I’m not sure. The way they were talking, it seemed like they didn’t like each other at all, but he followed her up there to tell her about the cloak. He said something strange too. It was something about her being likely to favor us.”

Ron looked bewildered, “Why would she?”

Ginny shrugged, “I’m not sure. She knew Harry’s father I think, the way Snape put it.”

Harry spoke up suddenly, “Well, if she was friends with Professor Lupin, she probably did know my dad. I wonder how she knew about the cloak.”

Hermione bit her lip, “ We have her first hour, Ron, Harry. This should be interesting.”

They all exchanged looks. Elizabeth looked at her watch as she took her concentration off of her pupils. They would debate all they wanted, and they probably wouldn’t draw anything too revealing from Snape and her conversation. She had ten minutes, so she finished her breakfast and left the Great Hall. She talked to a painting for a couple minutes, then hurried to her classroom, where she pushed open the door and went in.
A/N: Please post feedback. I'm hoping the next one will be up soon, but I can't make any promises!

Last edited by GryffindorSeeker; January 18th, 2004 at 1:00 am.
Sponsored Links