Thread: Only Family
View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:58 pm
Sixth Year

Chapter Fourteen

“Sir, you do know that I have to teach the 7th year NEWT class, right?” Elizabeth asked as she followed the elderly man down the corridor.

“Yes, Elizabeth, I’m aware of that,” came the answer, “Sir Nicholas will be keeping the class in line.”

Eliza’s level of confusion increased as they stepped onto the turning staircase, ‘What is this about?’ she thought.

When they reached the office, Dumbledore opened the door and led the way in. He sat at his desk and met her eyes.

“Elizabeth, I’m going to need you to help me with something.”

“Yes?”

“Elizabeth, I’m going to need you to assist me with teaching Harry Occlumency.”

“What?!” Elizabeth stared.

“You heard me.”

Eliza blushed and glowered at the desk in front of her, “Why, then?”

“You’re one of the more skilled Legimens and Occlumens I know, and you can teach it well, despite the fact they come nearly naturally to you.”

Elizabeth’s blush heightened at this word of praise, but then demanded, “Why can’t you do it?”

Dumbledore sighed, “Harry needs to be prepared for different types of attacks. You can do one of the more complicated and most destructive types. He also needs to notice how individuals differ in their attacks in more basic Legimens.”

Then Elizabeth bit her lip, “Sir, you do know that I have the most classes in the school?”

Dumbledore nodded, “I’m aware of that. This can also be your position for the order.”

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow, “Sir, are you purposely keeping me out of the actual fighting and danger.”

Dumbledore smiled slightly, “I wasn’t aware that you were still foolhardy enough to want to be in the thick of battle and adventure.”

Elizabeth groaned, “Sir, I’m not, but you seem to be purposely keeping me out of it.”

The headmaster met her eyes steadily, “Elizabeth,” he said, his voice gentle, “I swore to James that I would keep you in the safest of places if he died. He’s dead, and I’m left with that oath to contend with.”

Elizabeth rolled her eyes, “Sir, you swore that along time ago. Besides, you broke the ties that kept me away from here.”

Dumbledore sighed patiently, “Only after you swore an oath of your own to teach here. This one can not be avoided.”

Elizabeth groaned again, “Sir, James was simply overprotective, can’t you take that into account?”

“I could, but Sirius made me promise to keep you as safe as your nature would allow you to be and be happy.”

“The old overprotective busybody... How is this happy?” Elizabeth muttered, but Dumbledore ignored her.

“Due to the charms James placed on you, I won’t be able to let you out of Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Headquarters, or Diagon Alley until this year is over. School year, I mean.”

Elizabeth glowered around the room.

“Elizabeth, there’s really no choice. You’re the best one for this, due to your abilities, so live with that.”

Elizabeth regarded Albus carefully, “Does he know about this, sir?”

As if to answer this question, there was a knock on the door. Dumbledore smiled, “Elizabeth, would you get the door, I believe that is him.”

Elizabeth strode across the room and opened the door, and sure enough, there stood a messy black haired, gangly teenager that had been in Elizabeth’s first class. Eliza gave Harry a kind smile and let him in, her heart pumping.

Harry paused, standing there awkwardly, looking at Elizabeth, asking her why she was there with his expression. Elizabeth smiled slowly, then stood at Dumbledore’s shoulder, waiting.

“Sit down, Harry,” Dumbledore said kindly.

Harry obeyed, but didn’t look an inch more comfortable. Dumbledore looked sideways at Eliza, who raised an eyebrow at him.

“Last year, you took a few Occlumency lessons with Professor Snape, before he... er... refused to give them to you again, correct?”
Elizabeth rolled her eyes. Snape? Teach Occlumency? The man has no patience, and he holds a grudge over Harry that would make his patience even less.

“This year, I’ll be teaching you most of the time. I’m rather busy with the work for the Order, and the basic running of this school, so when I’m unable to, Professor Smythe will be teaching you. When I’m not busy, then she will be assisting. Any questions?”

Harry was now eying Elizabeth anxiously, but he mumbled, “No, sir.”

“We will be meeting on Thursdays after dinner. Does that suit?”

Harry nodded.

“That is all, Harry. You may go.”

Harry nodded, cast another look at Elizabeth, then hurried out the door.

“Sir, could I go to my class now? I have seventh year NEWTs.”

As soon as she got out, she slowed her walk and rubbed her head. Due to this, Harry would start asking questions earlier. That was probably one of Dumbledore’s intentions. Eliza yawned, and hurried to her class room.