Thread: Only Family
View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2004, 2:52 am
Sixth Year

A/N: Here it is! Not as soon as I'd have hoped, but it's here all the same! Enjoy and feedback!

Chapter Fifteen: Part Two

Eliza yawned and sat up, brushing her hair out of her face. She couldn’t sleep, and after tossing and turning for several hours, she got up. She put on her slippers and robe, and made her way downstairs, sneaking past her brother James’s room, and slid down the stairs silently.

When she reached the kitchen, she lit the lamp in the middle of the table and began to make some hot cocoa, making about three times as much as she needed with out noticing. She took out a mug, and waited for the liquid to heat.

She sat on a small bench and stared out the window, trying to see past the reflection of the fifteen year old self. She kicked at the air like a three year old and waited, watching for something, anything, to happen. The old clock in the other room struck three, and Eliza poured the hot liquid into her mug and looked out the window again. A shadow was standing at the end of the lane. A familiar shadow.

Almost dropping the pot, Eliza gasped in surprise. She set down the pot and her mug, and ran for the door, unheeding of her slippered feet, nor her manner of dress. She ran out of the cottage, down the lane, right at the shadow.

“Lizzie! What are you doing up at this time?” asked a shaky voice.

“Sirius!” Eliza said sharply, “What are you doing here?”

Sirius shakily replied, “I ran away. I couldn’t stand them anymore. I take it I’m at the right place?”

Eliza nodded, and her sharpness softened, “Come in,” she said, taking an end of his trunk as he took the other, “You can have some cocoa.”

Sirius smiled weakly at that, “Cocoa? Beth, it’s summer!”

Eliza rolled her eyes and answered, “Of course it is, but it’s also freezing!”

They stepped into the light of the kitchen. Eliza got out another mug and poured cocoa into it, as she studied him.

He was pale and shivering, looking younger than he was. His face was anxious, and he was looking around the kitchen nervously.

Eliza handed him his cocoa, and they sat down at the table.

“So,” Eliza said tiredly, “What are you planning on doing?”

Sirius took a deep drink of cocoa, and looked thoughtful, “Well, Liz, I was planning on telling James, this was the first place I came up with, but I didn’t really have a plan.”

Eliza raised an eyebrow at his nickname for her, she never did like the names Beth, Liz, Lizzie, and others like that. Sirius insisted on calling her them for that reason, to irk her.

“Well, what happened this time, that made you actually run away?”

Sirius studied the grain of the wood of the table, “They were being worse then usual, talking all about how Voldemort was going to make this world better, by scouring the muggle blood out of it, and how I should be proud to be a Black, practically royalty.

They were going on about how I should stop being friendly with ‘mudbloods and blood traitors’ as they put it, and how I should spend my time with those of ’pure blood and strong families’. Well, they usually do that, but this year they were worse about it, talking about it every moment. I’m just tired of having to be stuck in a house full of Dark Wizards, when I don’t want to be like them!”

Eliza nodded. Now, more than ever she was glad of her family. They were fully against the Dark Arts and the “purification of blood” and weren’t afraid to admit it.

“So, should I get James up?”

“Don’t bother him yet. You know how he likes his sleep.”

Eliza looked at Sirius, he was looking very miserable and uncomfortable, “Well, what else is going on?”

Sirius sighed, “Nothing really. I’m just tired.”

Eliza sat forward, “Sirius, it’s not your fault that they don’t understand you. It’s just, what you value, they hate, and what they value, you hate. It’s not your fault for this. Mum and Dad’ll take you in here, don’t worry about that.”

Sirius glared into the cup of cocoa, “It’s just that, even though I hate them, it’s still....” he broke off sharply, his face angry.

Eliza sighed patiently, “It’s not your fault, Sirius, just don’t worry about it, there’s nothing you can do, honest. As for them, don’t worry, there was going to be this sooner or later,” she said gently.

Sirius nodded.

“Is it okay if I get James up?”

Sirius grinned, “Yes, go ahead. Beth.”

Eliza smiled after her back was turned. She tip-toed up the stairs as quietly as she could. When she got to James’s room, he was snoring. She went around the mess the best she could in the dark, only stubbing one toe, and running into the bedside table. Swearing, she shook James awake.

“Was gone on?” James asked groggily.

“Shush. Sirius is in the kitchen. Get up. Quickly. Don’t wake Mum or Dad.”

James obeyed reluctantly and stifling yawns. His hair was messier than it usually was, if that was possible, and he was pale. He found his glasses and fixed them on his face clumsily. Then he found himself following his sister down the narrow flight of stairs, into the dimly lit kitchen.

Sure enough, sitting there was none other than Sirius Black. All signs of exhaustion disappeared, as he whispered, “Padfoot! What are you doing here?”

Sirius smiled tiredly at his best friend and answered, “I left home, Prongs. And came here.”

It took some explaining, and a couple mugs of hot cocoa to get it all explained, but at four-thirty, in came a woman with neat black hair and hazel eyes. Mum.

Eliza took out the fourth mug out of the cupboard and pour the tenth mug full of that night.

Mrs. Potter sat down and looked around at her children and Sirius, excepting the cup of cocoa with a “Thank you, Liza.” She took a sip and smiled at the taste. It was from she whom Eliza had inherited her love of chocolate.

“Hello Sirius,” she said kindly.

“Hello Mrs. Potter.”

Isabelle Potter looked at James and Liza expecting. James explained Sirius’s presence. Their Mother only needed a few seconds of explanation before she silenced her son with a small gesture. She turned to Sirius.

“Well, Sirius, I don’t think you’ve had any sleep, have you?”

Sirius shook his head.

Mrs. Potter nodded, “Then come on up, you can sleep in the spare room now. I’m sure my husband won’t mind.”

Mrs. Potter stood up, and steered Sirius upstairs with a gentle hand.

James and Eliza exchanged surprised looks and grinned.

Elizabeth woke. She yawned and rubbed her eyes. Then her stomach plummeted. There had been someone connected with her during the dream. Someone who had seen it from her perspective.