View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:31 am
Sixth Year

First of January

The more I've thought about it, the stranger this seems. This is my first diary, given to me by my best friend, Alice, on the Christmas of my sixth year of Hogwarts. I've never written in a diary before, and the concept of it is rather simple, I suppose. Here I am babbling on and on in this book when I can easily write any essay I wish without a second thought. Maybe I am hopeless. Alice said to write anything about myself. My past, present, hopes for the future.... I'll grit my teeth and bare it, I suppose. Yes, that's best.

When I was young, my parents took my sister and me to a sort of fair. There were people peforming muggle "magic tricks." I remember it all seeming so spectacular, so breath taking.... so awesome.

An old women in a tent beckoned my mother and I too her. She was one of those fortune tellers, covered in shawls and jewelry. Without speaking, she grabbed my hand and studied it. She stared into my eyes for along time, then she finally spoke in a creaky old voice.

"Oh, child. My poor child. Your life will be a hard one. Your burden, difficult. Your life will be wondered at by those who you are to love. Your life will be full of trials, child. Keep a record of it, I pray. Poor child. Poor, poor child," the fortune teller shook her head tragically and waved me away.

When we were in safe distance from the tent, I turned to Mother. She was looking odd.

"Mum?" I asked, "What was that about?"

She smiled at me and said firmly, "My dear Lily, my dear, the fortune telling isn't real. Your life won't go that way, honey. Don't worry your little head about it."

I never thought about keeping a "record of my life" until now. Diaries are commonly used, both by muggles and witches. I guess it's time to begin keeping mine.

I hope that was satisfactory for an entry. I hope. Diary keeping is over my head. Maybe that will be the end. Alice won't let me, I know, but it's worth a try.