View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2004, 8:15 pm
Zonko's Employee

I just started rereading Book 1. In the first few pages, Rowling explains Vernon's feelings about seeing people dressed in funny clothes acting strangely, and then when he hears whispers of Harry Potter, he thinks he should call Petunia. He thinks better of it: "There was no point in worrying Mrs. Dursley; she always got so upset at any mention of her sister. He didn't blame her--if he'd had a sister like that...but all the same, those people in cloaks..." (pg 5, American) When Hagrid bursts into that makeshift shack on a rock in the middle of the sea, Petunia goes raging about her sister, the "freak," and how she knew Harry would be abnormal.
The point I'm making is that Petunia's family is no secret, and it seems that Petunia is much more touchy about the whole magic thing than Vernon; he simply doesn't like abnormal people of any kind. He is surprised at Petunia in Book 5 for the same reason she is--he's surprised she spoke of the things in her past she had tried to forget. I don't think Vernon would ever kick his wife out. Petunia is not the least bit accepting of the magical community--she's jealous of her sister--and Vernon is very supportive of that. From where I stand, that's it.
Rowling did say it would be Harry's shortest stay ever--but I don't think it will have anything to do with a row between Petunia and Vernon.