View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:54 am
Lycanthrope

Re: The Marauders: Group Character Analysis v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
It all seemed pretty clear-cut to me: I think Harry's moral compass is pretty healthy.
Well didn't find it as clear cut. I think he was too harsh (not just with the Marauders, but certainly with them and they are the subject of this thread) at times in his considerations. I think he was shown to be harsh on others for things he was never harsh on himself about. I don't think he ever sufficiently recognized his hypocrisy. So I was left with a bad taste in my mouth regarding some areas of the characterization of these four fun characters.

Quote:
Really? Does the series ever see Neville's shyness, for example, as some kind of 'misdeed'? Absolutely not. Neville's Gryffindor courage appears in book one and is lauded by Dumbledore in the final chapter. (His courage is realistically portrayed and therefore not some 'way out of left field' surprise in DH, when he kills Nagini.)
Well I feel both are true. First we see his shyness as a bad thing - he requires defending because he is too shy and retiring to speak up for himself - he is shown to be an easy mark for Snape in class - etc. Compare that to Remus - since we are talking Maruaders - who was similarly portrayed as the shy and retiring individual, who is often an easy mark of those around based on his shyness and retiring nature.

If the shyness and retiring nature was considered a good thing, then that would have been celebrated rather than the courage both showed in getting over their shyness and retiring natures. Which is what happened. The courage was celebrated, not the shyness. Remus' shyness and retiring nature was his flaw caused by his background (like Neville) that he had to overcome to show the positive trait of courage.

Quote:
One of JKR's greatest strengths as a writer - which, in my opinion, makes up for certain plot weaknesses in the series - is her ability to create realistic, vivid characters that we care about (or love to hate!) The Marauders are realistically drawn teenage boys. As adult characters, both Remus and Sirius act as surrogate fathers to Harry - in Sirius's case, he is a flawed father figure but a very important one. The Marauders' function in the series is more than just being 'magical adventure guides', IMO.
Well I agree she is a great writer, however, I don't think the characterizations, including the Marauders were realistic. I think they were caricatures of real boys and men, who did show some traits similar to real life. But I think they were both overblown and underdone in various situations, to help the flow and excitement of the book, and to stress certain ideologies JKR wished to send. They are my favorite characters in the books, but I don't think they were realistic and I believe they were given a hard row to hoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn View Post
Harry didn't really judge all the Marauders in OotP, really just his father. I always got the impression that Harry judged his dad so harshly because he held him to a much higher standard than everyone else. Sirius acted just as badly that day, but Harry didn't seem particularly bothered by that. Fred and George shoved Montague into a broken vanishing cabinet, risking his life; Hermione permanently disfigured someone for ratting out the DA; Ginny hexed people for fun (and so did Harry occasionally)... and yet Harry never judged them for it. He knew them all personally and so he knew they weren't infallible.

But James was Harry's idol at that point. He held him up on a pedestal so it was a huge shock to see him act in a way that wasn't honourable. But eventually Harry came to terms with the fact that his father wasn't perfect, and he still looked up to him and found comfort in him as he did before. I think that's what Jo wanted the readers to take away from it, not that she wanted to tear the Marauders down.
I would not agree that Harry was harder on his father. While reading OOTP one would think that, but as the books carried on, that same type of harsh judgmental thinking was used while considering all of the Marauders. He seriously saw the worst of them, almost exclusively, even when directly interacting with them. That didn't mean he didn't love them dearly - there was above and beyond enough written to make it clear that they were the most beloved with his mother of all the older generation in the book - including the living - but I am referring to his actual thoughts regarding their thinking and actions. Don't get me wrong - other 'good' or 'mostly good' characters in the book were judged even worse by Harry. I just think that there was a push from OOTP to humanize the Marauders and JKR went overboard.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; October 20th, 2013 at 1:09 am.
Sponsored Links