View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2013, 2:35 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: The Marauders: Group Character Analysis v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Well I feel both are true. First we see his shyness as a bad thing - he requires defending because he is too shy and retiring to speak up for himself - he is shown to be an easy mark for Snape in class - etc. Compare that to Remus - since we are talking Maruaders - who was similarly portrayed as the shy and retiring individual, who is often an easy mark of those around based on his shyness and retiring nature.

If the shyness and retiring nature was considered a good thing, then that would have been celebrated rather than the courage both showed in getting over their shyness and retiring natures. Which is what happened. The courage was celebrated, not the shyness. Remus' shyness and retiring nature was his flaw caused by his background (like Neville) that he had to overcome to show the positive trait of courage.
But Remus’s shyness and retiring nature are never portrayed as faults. Ever. What IS portrayed as a fault – which Remus himself owns – is his failure to challenge James and Sirius on their bullying. This is a very realistic character fault: many people will stay silent rather than challenge their friends and risk rejection, and Remus had experienced cruel rejection and deeply feared it. Not that I think James and Sirius would have rejected him, actually - they were too loyal and kind (to Remus, at any rate). But if he'd had the courage to stand up to the two most extrovert and flamboyant Marauders, this could have worked a powerful effect on them both and sobered them up.

Quote:
Well I agree she is a great writer, however, I don't think the characterizations, including the Marauders were realistic. I think they were caricatures of real boys and men, who did show some traits similar to real life. But I think they were both overblown and underdone in various situations, to help the flow and excitement of the book, and to stress certain ideologies JKR wished to send. They are my favorite characters in the books, but I don't think they were realistic and I believe they were given a hard row to hoe.
I didn’t say she was a great writer. I said that one of her strengths as a writer is her great gift for characterisation. (I also think she is a great STORYTELLER, but there are other writers whose style I regard as greater.)

I'm intrigued as to what ideologies you think she 'wished to send', as it pertains to the characterisation of the Marauders.

And as I said before, I certainly don't think the Marauders were given a 'harder row to hoe' than any other character in the series. Rowling puts many of her characters through hell, to be blunt. Which is why the HP series is such a compelling psychodrama.

Quote:
I would not agree that Harry was harder on his father. While reading OOTP one would think that, but as the books carried on, that same type of harsh judgmental thinking was used while considering all of the Marauders. He seriously saw the worst of them, almost exclusively, even when directly interacting with them.
I don't understand this. Is it simply the natural cognitive dissonance of a teenaged boy, orphaned as an infant, who is trying to match up the real life 'warts and all' personalities of the adult Remus and Sirius with the somewhat legendary status surrounding their friendship with the dead father he longed to know? (Just thinking aloud here.)

Quote:
Don't get me wrong - other 'good' or 'mostly good' characters in the book were judged even worse by Harry.
I would love to know who you think was 'judged worse' by Harry. Probably one for his character thread.

Quote:
I just think that there was a push from OOTP to humanize the Marauders and JKR went overboard.
Again, I'm not sure what you mean. Every single character in the Potterverse gets ‘humanized’ and the stories are the better for it. Rowling's characters are often somewhat exaggerated and over the top - that doesn't make them unrealistic, I think if anything it makes them quite Dickensian.