View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2011, 6:49 am
Second Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?

Probably Deathly Hallows Part 1. It's the most faithful adaptation since the Chamber of Secrets but unlike the first two films, it doesn't suffer from it. It has a beautiful visual style due to the art direction and cinematography, a strong script and plot and brilliant acting from the entire cast. I also love dark fantasy films and on the road films (I think Hallows Part 1 fits into both categories).

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?

My favourite moment is during Voldemort's death scene in Deathly Hallows Part 2, starting with Harry smiling and ending with the sun rising over the castle.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?

David Yates. He has a great visual sense, he seemed to understand the characters and the Wizarding World far more than Columbus, Cuaron and Newell, his films got the best character developments and he got the best performances out of the young actors.

Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?

I honestly don't know. Like many have said, one director probably couldn't have handled all eight films and they could've flopped if they had the same one. I guess we'll never know. I would've loved to see what David Yates would've done the first four films.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.

Definitely the coming of age story of the trio and Snape as Dumbledore's man.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?

I can't just choose one. Alan Rickman as Snape, Maggie Smith as Mcgonagall, Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid, Tom Felton as Draco, Matthew Lewis as Neville, Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix, Imelda Stauton as Umbridge and Jason Issacs as Lucius. Their characters were perfectly casted and adapted.

Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?

Without a doubt it's Daniel Radcliffe. He's not an "natural" actor like say, Rupert Grint or Tom Felton in my opinion anyway. I wasn't impressed with him at all in the first three films, his acting was so bland and unemotional. However in Goblet of Fire he really climbed a ladder and proved to me that he could act - the scenes in the graveyard and when he brings back Cedric's body was heartbreaking. His strong performance carried on in Order of the Phoenix as the depressed and isolated Harry. Half-Blood Prince was where his performance went off track - his wooden acting had returned and his only stand out scenes were the Felix Felicis and the cave scenes. However he came back with a vengence in Deathly Hallows Part 1 and his performance was phenomenal in Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies?

Very important. The geek in me loves film music and it helps raise your emotions high in a film.

Who is your favourite music composer?

Alexandre Desplat

Which soundtrack is your favourite?

Deathly Hallows Part 2

What is your favourite music track?

Too many to choose from.

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography?

Half-Blood Prince with both Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 tied for second place.

Best set design (props etc)?

All of them.

Best special effects?

Deathly Hallows Part 1

Best costumes?

Goblet of Fire

Overall verdict

Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?

Yes very happy. They're brilliant but flawed adaptations. They have huge problems with plot-holes and continuity and they can be confusing as hell sometimes. But all of them have been a critical and financial success, most of the characters have been perfectly cast and audiences have grown up and matured along with the characters, storylines and actors, which is probably something that rarely ever happens.

Last edited by StaceysChain; August 10th, 2011 at 6:55 am.
Sponsored Links